Guinness Black Lager - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Black LagerGuinness Black Lager

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Euro Dark Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: mdagnew on 04-03-2010)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Black Lager Alström Bros
Miami66

Nebraska

02-16-2014 17:01:13 | More by Miami66
mmulebarn

11-25-2013 02:19:43 | More by mmulebarn
Photo of

1.5/5  rDev -51.9%

You rated this beer. Consider writing a review.

12-23-2012 09:40:22 | More by
Kremlock

Ontario (Canada)

1.6/5  rDev -48.7%

A: Dark but yet fairly clear. Carb is lively and head is about 1/4 but decipates fast

S: Loads of coffee but more on the burned coffee

T: Burned coffee all over. Actually, more like burned bottom of the bot. Sort of like when you burn sauce or noodles.

M: Carb is hight, but the burned flavour is just too much

O: Would never buy this again. I was drinking this with a spicy curry and it made my food taste bad. I could not believe how burned the beer tasted.

09-17-2012 23:57:50 | More by Kremlock
drinkoneforme

1.65/5  rDev -47.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Seemed like it wanted to be a good beer but on tasting it reminded me of a black lager mixed with water. Seemed empty to me with not much to it. I was rather dissatisfied.
I would appreciate some body and flavor, give me something to like or dislike.

11-04-2012 18:52:42 | More by drinkoneforme
eranfaraway

1.65/5  rDev -47.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I had high hopes for this beer but was really disappointed. It almost seems to have a metallic taste to it, like a cheap canned beer. It had a flat mouth feel for such a dark beer, it didn't seem well balanced. Not as heavy as the Guinness I'm accustomed to. I won't buy it again.

11-20-2012 04:37:27 | More by eranfaraway
JamnesCameron

1.68/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a pint glass.

Poured vigorously, giving a big, billowy light tan head, made up mostly of large bubbles, over two fingers' worth. Sits on top of a very deep ruby, almost black, but reddish highlights do shine through. As head falls over period of a few minutes, leaves big chunky lacing on the glass. This is the best part of the review, the rest is kind of a downer.

Aromas of roast malt, an "eastern european lager funk," a grainy harshness with a noble hop aroma. Oily and phenolic. Not that pleasant.

First sip is of that eastern european lager quality, grainy malt, some hop balance. But harsh. Tastes like it was brewed bigger, then diluted. Finish is short and grainy.

Mouthfeel is light, leaning toward watery, with an oily quality.

Not very drinkable. Not sure how this got past the corporate tasting panel, unless they thought it would appeal to the macro masses. Won't repeat this one.

01-14-2011 02:11:05 | More by JamnesCameron
AleWatcher

1.73/5  rDev -44.6%

Bought a 6 pack to use in my chili... Ended up with one left-- so here we go...
Not sure of style designation "euro dark lager." I'll be comparing this to other black lagers...
Poured into pint glass.

Unimpressive sums up the beer on all aspects.
It is dark- light red hints. Minimal head, virtually no lace.
Looks undercarbonated-- kind of thick, but not anything I think will be full bodied...

Smells of roasted malt and coffee grounds.

Taste is slightly sweet, toasty, and coffee. No real hop note, although slightly bitter...

Oily and undercarbonated... Medium body.

Not good. Not awful... But not a beer I'll be buying again.

11-28-2010 23:37:50 | More by AleWatcher
brettmb

01-30-2013 19:19:06 | More by brettmb
EgadBananas

Louisiana

1.75/5  rDev -43.9%

Pours a dark brown color with lighter edges. Head was plentiful, and spongy. Retention was short lived.

I can see why they suggest drinking it ice cold and straight from the bottle... this smells awful! A mixture of metal, stale malts and a burnt rye toast aroma.

The taste is better, but it's nothing good. Really, it's just so bland its painful. There's only the faintest hints of roasted malts and a hint of sweetness.

This is like water. There's no substance, nothing validating about the way it feels.

I'm so disappointed in this. Regular Guinness isn't spectacular, but it's pleasant and drinkable despite it's giant stature. This just sucked. Smelled awful, tasted bland, and nothing pleasurable about drinking it.

09-05-2011 21:12:35 | More by EgadBananas

MonkeyStain

10-09-2012 22:50:47 | More by MonkeyStain
B967ierhunter177

1.78/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer pours black, period. There is a one finger, light brown head with lasting lace. The aroma is of burnt toast and anise. The flavor is roasted malt with nutty and phenolic notes. It's mouthfeel is light with a black licorice aftertaste. Guinness Black Lager is an okay beer, slightly recommended.

03-17-2012 23:32:06 | More by B967ierhunter177
daliandragon

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The first time I saw this in the supermarket it gave me a sad. At the same time I knew I would get around to trying it sooner or later. Today I picked up a single for a single GW portrait. Low expectations, hopefully they can be realized. Pours pretty black with a brief head that dissipates to a n unimpressive cap. Nose is caramel but impressive in neither quality or quantity.

Big yuck! Something is terribly wrong here. It barely tastes like beer at all but more like evil cola. Sweet but insipid and nasty and over carbonated. I am not sure I can finish this or why I should. This is a mistake all around.

10-21-2012 01:09:37 | More by daliandragon
bramsdell

1.78/5  rDev -42.9%

I am a die-hard Guinness fan, both stout and draught, but it is here that I draw the line. Honestly, I don't even feel like reviewing this beer, but I paid for it, so I feel like I should. I also want to note that I do not have anything against dark lagers. I think there can be A-level dark lagers out there.

A: It looks like a dark lager. Maybe it is a bit thinner than the usual dark lager. When looked at quickly, it looks like a real beer, but upon further scrutiny, the thinness and lack of head is very apparent.

S: It smells like malt liquor. Now, I love me a Colt 45 in the right time and the right place, but this smells like old Olde English. I hate OE.

A: It tastes like f-ing OE. Did I really just buy a beer that tastes like OE. More importantly, did Guinness, a company with such a distinctive brand, flavor and body, really just allow its name to be stamped onto a beer that tastes like OE? Damn.

M: Um, it's watery. There isn't a whole lot else to say. Carbonation levels are not noticeably high or low for the style; basically average.

O: This beer sucks. I love Guinness draught and stout and will defend the big G until my dying day, but this beer is horrible. Having bought this as a single due to interest, I wish I had instead just bought a 40. Don't buy this beer.

09-19-2011 23:58:21 | More by bramsdell
Organdrew

New Brunswick (Canada)

1.79/5  rDev -42.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Picked one up on sale from the local liquor chain store. I'm under presumption that this is a new product.

Look: straight from the bottle. Very dark, and the bottle is pleasing to look at.

Smell: smelling straight from the bottle yields not much of anything.

taste: This is where it lacks. First sip tasted like water with a weird skunky taste. For a second I thought I had gotten bad beer but remembered this is a completely different style of the beer I had 30 minutes ago. Taste like bad water in my opinion with a very weak beer linger. Some weak "coffee-like" taste pokes through at the end.

mouthfeel: reminiscent of bad thick water.

overall: weak beer. I would DEFINITELY not try this again. I've tried other Guinness before and this is a WAY different beer. It does have that slightly "guinness" taste, that is coffe/roated toffee, but very subtle and under all that carbonated water. If that little Guinness signature taste was not there, I would swear I was drinking mineral water. I could not finish the beer and poured it out with about 1/3 left. It gave me a sore stomach.

The only plus is the great looking bottle. and maybe less calories. A strong Guinness character SHOULD NOT try to cover/dumb down their signature taste, Guinness and lager do not mix.

04-05-2014 01:27:42 | More by Organdrew
twiggamortis420

1.85/5  rDev -40.7%

12 oz bottle pours black and does not let much light in. Moderate retention and lacing from a light tan head.

Nose is surprisingly metallic and mineraly. Charred malt is about all else I get...really not a whole lot going on. Disappointing.

Taste is some black patent malt and tangy minerals. Not really very pleasant, to be honest. Not sure why, but I was expecting a little more from this new brew. Its watery, metallic and lacks any sort of character. I would like to see at least a little sweetness and would a hint of hop character be too much to ask? Im not even going to comment on the 'Cold Brewed' nonsense on the label. This beer is a total farce, avoid at all costs. Guinness should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves for creating this monstrosity.

10-20-2011 00:26:39 | More by twiggamortis420
MrKennedy

Australia

1.95/5  rDev -37.5%

330ml bottle at Harts Pub poured into a mini goblet.

Black in appearance, no surprises there...with a solid tan head of foam (about an inch) that gradually reduces over time.

If you've ever smelt a non-alcoholic beer from a supermarket...this nails it...not a good thing.

Relatively bland flavour, tiny bit of roasted malt coming through.

Modest body at best. Feels light.

In summary, underwhelming and really reminds me of an over-malty alcohol-free beer.

04-20-2011 07:50:14 | More by MrKennedy
KarlHungus

1.98/5  rDev -36.5%

This beer pours a dark brown almost black color. The head is on inch in height, and recedes quickly into minimal lacing. The aroma is of mostly nothing with a very faint hint of roasted malt. The taste is hard to detect for two reasons: first it is very faint, second, the extreme carbonation makes it difficult to leave this beer in my mouth longer enough to pick up anything. Not only is the mouthfeel way to aggressively carbonated it is water thin. Overall, this beer is really bad. I wasn't expecting a ton of flavor being that it is brewed by Guinness, but I was expected some flavor, and this beer simply doesn't have it.

09-13-2011 21:21:15 | More by KarlHungus
HeyYoMar

02-27-2013 05:43:57 | More by HeyYoMar
ktuc

Oklahoma

04-22-2012 14:27:53 | More by ktuc
Guinness Black Lager from Guinness Ltd.