Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) | Guinness Ltd.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
3.7

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland | website

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Reviews: 1,327 | Ratings: 3,997
Reviews by TheSeeker61:
3.11/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours with a dark brown with a beautiful head which has a nice head.

Smell the dark fruit and some chocolate.

The taste is just ok to me. Taste some dark fruit in the beginning and some bitters at the end.

The mouthfeel is pretty smooth.

Drinkability is nice but the overall taste of this brew isn't making me want to reach for another. It's ok but just ok.

4.7/5  rDev +27%

Presentation: 12oz short brown bottle. This particular batch was brewed under license by Labatts Breweries in Toronto, Canada ... dispelling the common belief that all Guinness in Boston comes directly from St. James Gate.

Appearance: Black as night, with a rather creamy tan head; semi-sticky and dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: Earthy esters, dark malts, mild aromatic hop bouquet of floral.

Taste: Smooth upfront with a nice rich malt flavour. Some rounded malt sweetness pulls thru (almost get some molasses out of it, and some ripe dark fruits), but it gets swept away by a hop flavour that is a bit lemony, puckering. There's also a dryness to the brew that is amplified by the hop snap. The dryness carries thru in the after taste, along with some earth/grain husk flavours.

Notes: This is the real Guinness, in my opinion. Known and labeled as their "Original," and actually, orginally, their Porter product during the 1700's (becoming their Stout in 1799). An exceptional Stout! The 60/40 nitro-injected stuff you get at the pub today is fairly new to this world (1961) -- it hardly stands up to this brew.

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance – This one was beautiful right out of the bottle. It poured a dark brown in color with a full, heavily-tanned puffy head. The foam showed a lot of retention as it laced the inside of my glass on its way down.

Smell – The rich, roasted malts are very subtle here at the nose. I can pick up some good brown sugar as well. The aroma here is simple yet very pleasing.

Taste – The roasted malts come out sharp and raw at the taste. They are very bitter and need every grain of the sweet brown sugar compliment. The beer has an overall coffee flavor to it that’s very enticing.

Mouthfeel – This medium-bodied Stout has some bitter black burnt flavors with some good dryness in back of the tongue. I would have liked to have seen a bit more body to go along with the huge flavors, but overall the mouthfeel was good.

Drinkability – It isn’t the most balanced Stout on the market, but it is raw and edgy and a great effort from such a high-volume brewery

Had any Guinness there might be on tap while on honeymoon with my wife in Ireland. It's pretty good to start with, but if you've ever had it in its home country, at the beginning of the biggest adventure in your life, with the love of your life, in a tiny pub, with a two minute pour and fresh salmon supper- you'd probably give it a five, too.

4.48/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Genuine gold baby. Loved this beer first time I drank it few years back. Finally decided to review it. One of the most exciting beers to pour n drink, for me. Pours ridiculously dark with an instant foamy head all thru the pour. Finishing with a thick darkend tan head. Ultimate thick lacing that stays. Smells of burnt sweet fruity nuttiness to me. Goes down smooth with a little bitter bite at the the end which fades as it warms. Tastes of faint dark fruit, roasted nuts or malts with a little burnt toast that fades. Finishes bitter but like I said it fades as it warms. Overall one of my favorites. Always will be. Cheers

4.8/5  rDev +29.7%

Guinness for Strength! What a great beer. Let's face it - Guinness has set the standard for dark beers worldwide. Without Guinness, many people would never drink anything darker than a pilsner.

I've had Guinness on four different continents... not bad for a beer that is dark as night.

The beer poured a deep black color, but not completely opaque. There was a bit of light shining through the bottom and sides of the glass.

Wonderful aroma of roasted malts and fruity esters, and just a hint of hops too.

What balance - nice roasted malt flavor coming through with a decent amount of bittering hops. 6.00% by volume? That's definitely a strong and robust beer for an Irish Style Stout.

This beer was thin to medium-bodied, and left me wanting more. Ok, I think I'll have another.

Total winner. There is no other stout. None. This truly is the king of the stouts. I've always tried to find another stout option, but no luck. Guinness - simply the best.

4.26/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

it's hard to rate such a classic when I also have a long history with this beer -- but here we go.

Color is clean, dark, dark brown with a stiff khaki head that leaves amazing lacing rings and other patterns on my glass. Bubbles are abundant and form an inverted fountain on first pour. Carbonation and head persist as the stout is drunk. Nose is roasty, toasty, and full of caramel notes, though it could be stronger. Taste is even more caramel malts with a distinct roasted grain layer. A subtle sweetness lurks here as well. Hops are distinct but never too extreme. Mouthfeel is a bit slick, with less carbonation than the stiff head might suggest.

4.82/5  rDev +30.3%

Poured it into a clean room temperature beer glass and it did not have a large head. The head was a nice creamy Carmel color and left a lacey ring around the glass with each sip. The beer itself was very dark almost black and I could not see through it at all. Very rich looking. It had a nice wisp when the bottle was opened but I could not see carbonation in the glass.

It smelled of a roasted nut with a hint chocolate and coffee. I’m still new to this so my palate vocabulary is still growing and being refined.

The taste was much like the smell and I found myself sipping it much like I would a cup of coffee or coco. Very rich with flavor and kind of heavy but I liked it so well I have bought it several times. I’m on a quest now to try many other types of dark stouts.

4.79/5  rDev +29.5%

This is a great stout. Stouts are great beers. What else is there to say? I love the thick, rich and creamy head that stays the whole beer through. The way the lacing effortlessly settles on the sides of the glass. The darkness of the brew. And the taste, that's where it all comes together. The mouth feel
Is a little lighter than expected, but still solid. If you're a fan of stouts, be a fan of this offering.

4.94/5  rDev +33.5%

Unfortunately, this listing is for the BOTTLED version of Guinness. Those that know buy the CANS! Still probably one of the best beers around no matter what it's served in. In cans rating goes to straight 5s. From tap in Dublin rating goes to 6s!

This is the stout of all stouts, not too harsh, not to mild. Just right. Started drinking it when in Sweden for School. My irish classmates convinced me to try it. after 3 days I was hooked, now I can not go to any bar with out ordering it. Now i go to all the Guinness Nights at our local bars. yes, i am addicated and loving it.

To my mind, this is the best stout on the market today. After pouring this exceptional beer, the combination of pure black body and creamy brown head make it one of the most visualy appealing beers on the market.

Taking that first swallow, the heaviness and bitterness of the beer, along with a smokey, slightly burnt undertaste, comes through immediately and stays long after the beer is gone. Guinness is a beer that keeps giving, it has one of the longest finishes I have ever tasted.

I must confess, I don't see much difference between the various Guinness' I have tried, but if it says "Guinness", it must be good.

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

How do you review a beer that is basically THE example of its beer class? Pretty much like any other beer I guess.

Exceptionally dark clear brown colored beer that is the last stop head to blackness. Good light brown colored head that does eventually fall.

The smell is sweet rich and far maltier that I remember it in the past when I used this stuff as an extinguisher for hot peppers in Albuquerque. Lots of biscuit malt and a good helping of toffee and coffee aroma. Unexpected fruity aroma from the yeast used I should have expected it considering where it comes from. I identify the fruit as mostly fig. Lots more chocolate aroma than I remember from the past, a pleasant surprise.

The taste starts out dry with a fair amount of molasses and a stout roasted malt flavor with a sharp bitterness in the aftertaste. Flavor becomes more bitter as you drink it but the molasses only gets stronger and the hop flavor appears. A flowery perfume like hops flavor that I never tasted in this beer before. It is something of a shock and a realization that my ability to taste beer has advanced several light years from when I last tried this beer.

The mouthfeel is full without need to resort to any nitrogen system.

Much better than I remember it to be. Stiff and bitter but with much more to offer flavor wise than just char and bitterness. I have had a long history with this beer and only recently realized I had never bothered to review it. Mainly we used this in New Mexico and Texas because the bitterness could cut through the pain and heat of very hot foods, but there is an actual good beer here too.

4.73/5  rDev +27.8%

Got on tap in local bar. Served in a Guinness glass.

Appearance: Wonderful black pour with frothy, creamy head that never lets up.

Smell: Tones of coffee and chocolate flood the nose, and not far behind are the dark roasted malts that give this beer its dark color.

Taste: Words cannot describe how great this stout tastes. Smooth, creamy, full, warming, inviting. It's the kind of brew you could see being served in a jovial pub.

Mouthfeel: As smooth as it tastes it flutters into your mouth and down your throat as smoothly as it entered.

Drinkability: I personally could drink glass after glass of this delight without realizing how drunk I would become soon. It is glassy smooth and has a smooth dark taste to match.

4.8/5  rDev +29.7%

A - Deep, dark, cocoa brown... Almost black with a ruby outline when held to the light.
S - Not overly aromatic, reminiscent of whiskey mash, some hoppiness, a vague malt sweetness. A much more fragrant experience than the draught, that is certain.
T - Perfect hop-driven coffee-esque bitterness. Slight malty sweetness. Rating of 5 from this coffee lover.
M - Light carbonation; encourages much more a sip.
D - Very high. I absolutely love it! This is probably my favorite to drink.

Ok I admit it. I am of Irish heritage so I LOVE my Guinness, no matter what version. The Extra Stout is definitely their most flavorful version. It pours as black as any Guinness should and has a nice rocky tan head that leaves a ton of lace behind. Can you say beautiful? I did, so anyway it has a nice clean aroma, a touch of sweetness from the unmalted barley and some faint coffee like aromas make it really irresistable. The flavor is a bit more extreme, a nice sweet beginning that follows with a decent bitterness from the dark malts that almost overpower the experience. I probably shouldn't give it all 5's, but it is Guinness.

4.51/5  rDev +21.9%

An example of a great beer.

Appearance is pitch black and opaque with thick head. Dark, malty smell with a hint of fruit. Almost similar to coffee.

Taste is very malty and slightly bitter, very crisp and excellent hops. A slight corn taste to it. Body is thick with nice carbonation. A slightly dry and bitter aftertaste, not over board but enough to make this beer very drinkable and refreshing.

Would highly recommend. Genuinely good Irish stout.

4.7/5  rDev +27%

Appearance: This brew pours amazingly well. A wonderful deep chocolate. Head follows Guinness' tradition being very full with plentiful lacing. Excellent. Just Excellent.

Smell: A wonderful coffee aroma surrounds the nose. Roasted malts underlie the flavor curve excentuated by faint alpha hops. Excellent. This brew is one of the top on the market.

Taste: Sharper than a traditional Guinness, but not oppressive. There is an almost expresso presence...BUT the hop bitterness burns through what could otherwise be an overpowering presence.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is just about perfect. There is a foamy nature to this selection that is quite impressive. Excellent.

Drinkability: The drinkability is amazingly high for a such a heavy brew type.

Overall: This is a GREAT beer. Get it...

Prosit!
Nikki

4.4/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours black with a really nice frothy tan head. Nice lacing.

Smell: Molasses, coffee, nuts, toastiness.

Taste: Much like the smell, but with a touch of chocolate mixed in. I can't taste the hop but I can feel the bite.

Mouthfeel: I love the tingling sensation coupled with the mildly astringent bite.

I love this beer. It's easy to drink and full of flavor.

4.72/5  rDev +27.6%

One of the first beers I ever drank. Wanted to come back and do a more detailed review of one of my favorite beers from early on to see how (if any) my palate has changed.
A - Pours a dark brown, nearly black color with a mocha colored 2 finger head. Head has great retention and lacing was very present. Beautiful appearance overall; I'm a big fan of darker beers.

S - Very pleasant, straightforward scented beer. Roasted malts are the main aroma I can pick up on; if anything else maybe coffee and brown sugar scents. Again, very pleasant, no frills beer.

T - Honestly, it resembles many of the characteristics of a perfectly burnt marshmallow over a campfire. The roasted malts picked up on in the aroma are the main flavor present with maybe mild sweetness on the back-end. Basically, it has a burnt, dry and mildly sweet malt flavor. As noted earlier, it is a fairly straightforward beer that at the same time makes you keep wanting more.

M - Medium bodied beer with a very dry, enjoyable feel. Doesn't leave much of any aftertaste except mild bitterness and dryness. A great rendition of the stout overall; if anything could have a more full body.

O - A phenomenal beer overall. Not much more else to say. The centuries of brewing on behalf of Guinness have perfected a beer that is perfect for every occasion. It is a dry, hearty beer with nothing special about it, which makes it even more spectacular. The only thing that saddens me about this beer is that I'm not living in Ireland and unable to readily access this beer on draft.

4.44/5  rDev +20%

If I could drink but one beer every day for the rest of my life, this is it. There are beers that I have liked better in tastings, but this one is the one that would be (and it) my stand-by.

The flavor is deep and rich, with smoky undertones. No beer has a better head or better lacing.

4.7/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It pours with some smoke. It pours a two to three finger creamy tan head that laces and retains pretty well. The body is opaque. The color of the body is of a darkish black brown. Looks great.
this is my favorite beer and has been for awhile. I may be a little positively biased, but from the moment I tasted this I really loved it. I like the foreign extra stout equally but this one is cheaper and very similar in flavor.

It smells of dark roasted malts (caramel), barley, and coffee. It has a bitter almost standoffish smell to it that is pleasing to the nose.

It tastes of dark roasted malts and coffee mostly with tastes of barley there also. I love the taste of this because of the bitter taste that lingers.

Its very smooth and the mouthfeel is great. Its not too carbonated and goes down smooth which complements the harsh bitterness of the taste of the beer.

Overall, its still my favorite beer. I love the bitter taste to this that is not of hops but of other things. If you havent tried it, do so because its common and liked by lots of people. I can buy a larger bottle of it by itself for 2.57 so its not expensive either. so you can have a great beer for not too much.

4.54/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is an exceptional beer. My introduction to stouts, like a few others, was grand.
Pours a very dark brown, nearly black. Leaves a really nice head about a finger tall, leaving really nice globs of lacing along the way. Smells very pleasant, roasted malt and almost a dark chocolately aroma. Taste was phenomenal: creamy; nutty; and bittersweet with that poppy sizzle that Extra Stout offers. Feel, though thin, was very very drinkable and I was taking sips very often rather than letting it sit a minute before my next sip with some less drinkable stuff.
Overall, An excellent stout that and I would expect no less from Guinness themselves.

A - Solid black with brown edging, full tan head, fading very slowly. Lacing of the first order.

S - Full roast malt, tobacco and coffee, chocolate nib.

T - Following the nose, with a gradual fade to bitterness. Slight minerality in the close, with a bitterness that hangs around on your palate until it is reset.

M - Silky and smooth, fairly light, all told. The dry close is mild but persistent.

O - An old favorite; full and tasty. If it is fresh and well handled, this shows why Guinness is stout for so many people.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.