2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: guinness33 on 11-12-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,865 | Reviews: 1,208 | Show All Ratings:
theman336

really good stuff. An exceptional stout.

11-04-2001 02:22:54 | More by theman336
RushLimbmalt

Ok I admit it. I am of Irish heritage so I LOVE my Guinness, no matter what version. The Extra Stout is definitely their most flavorful version. It pours as black as any Guinness should and has a nice rocky tan head that leaves a ton of lace behind. Can you say beautiful? I did, so anyway it has a nice clean aroma, a touch of sweetness from the unmalted barley and some faint coffee like aromas make it really irresistable. The flavor is a bit more extreme, a nice sweet beginning that follows with a decent bitterness from the dark malts that almost overpower the experience. I probably shouldn't give it all 5's, but it is Guinness.

12-18-2004 08:34:16 | More by RushLimbmalt
scott

This is the absolute bestest beer ever. So pure. So divine. The absolute staple, the fundemental anchor. How does one propose to critique this beer? It's been around before my mom had teats.

If you don't know how it pours or tastes, delivers or smells, then why are you looking here for validation. You could have one. And it should be now!
Seriously, you need help if you haven't understood the practicality of a well-defined, yet overly-marketed (and understandingly so) jem.

08-17-2006 02:18:55 | More by scott
kaboose72

This is the stout of all stouts, not too harsh, not to mild. Just right. Started drinking it when in Sweden for School. My irish classmates convinced me to try it. after 3 days I was hooked, now I can not go to any bar with out ordering it. Now i go to all the Guinness Nights at our local bars. yes, i am addicated and loving it.

Serving type: nitro-tap

02-27-2008 17:41:26 | More by kaboose72
StoutandBitter

United Kingdom (England)

To my mind, this is the best stout on the market today. After pouring this exceptional beer, the combination of pure black body and creamy brown head make it one of the most visualy appealing beers on the market.

Taking that first swallow, the heaviness and bitterness of the beer, along with a smokey, slightly burnt undertaste, comes through immediately and stays long after the beer is gone. Guinness is a beer that keeps giving, it has one of the longest finishes I have ever tasted.

I must confess, I don't see much difference between the various Guinness' I have tried, but if it says "Guinness", it must be good.

08-21-2008 18:58:27 | More by StoutandBitter
roddwolff

Mexico

When serving it thought i was taking oil from the bottle;

A: Deep black color, the foamy head is brown, fat and thick, excellent retention;

S: Perfumed with floral hops, along with scents of roasted malt, chocolate and pitted prunes;

T: Roasted malt and spicy hops, just touching the tongues perceives roasted coffee and chocolate, which dominates the other flavors;

M: Dry, extra bitter, medium carbonation and robust body;

D: Was my first stout and is currently one of my favorite beers.

03-18-2009 19:50:17 | More by roddwolff
suglis

Missouri

4.95/5  rDev +33.8%

Unfortunately, this listing is for the BOTTLED version of Guinness. Those that know buy the CANS! Still probably one of the best beers around no matter what it's served in. In cans rating goes to straight 5s. From tap in Dublin rating goes to 6s!

02-01-2001 15:32:55 | More by suglis
PistolCreep

4.95/5  rDev +33.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a Guinness tulip glass

Appearance: Pours a nice dark tan 2 finger head looks very creamy, beer color is dark as can be with red ruby hues on the bottom corners of the glass.

Smell: Nice hints of chocolate, coffee and toffee a little sweet not so much.

Taste: The body of this beer is not so heavy as it might appear its very drinkable, goes down smooth and very filling. Taste just like it smells you can pick up hints of coffee as you sip and dark chocolate as the after taste, not too carbonated very tasty beer with a body that's not to thin and not to heavy its just right a nice robust package.

Overall: Very balanced goes down smooth I noticed a big difference when drinking this beer at its proper temperature (50-55) it becomes more robust and your palate will pick up some notes you thought were not their if drank very cold, very intense, a good beer one of my regulars I recommend it

11-01-2011 11:08:43 | More by PistolCreep
Irishmadden

Missouri

4.88/5  rDev +31.9%

Appearance- Lovely...nice dark color

Smell- Wonderful...roasted aromatics that are very enticing

Taste- Ah!!! Offers a roasted Malt taste you also do get the chocolate taste slightly

Mouthfeel- Fantastic...very smooth

Drinkability- The best...pretty filling "breakfast in a bottle"

Overall- The nectar of the Gods...would be better in Ireland where it isn't pasteurized, also good content of beer yeast which is good for you. Great beer...personal favorite

07-22-2010 18:43:42 | More by Irishmadden
Jimmycubs

Wisconsin

4.86/5  rDev +31.4%

Not normally into higher end beers but this one is perfect. Head is thick and creamy. Goes down SMOOTH. It's served closer to room temp and tastes better that way. I've bought a 6 pack before but cold out of the fridge just isn't anywhere nearly as good. Best by far of all stouts I've ever had.

03-08-2014 15:50:24 | More by Jimmycubs
Sixpoint

4.83/5  rDev +30.5%

Guinness for Strength! What a great beer. Let's face it - Guinness has set the standard for dark beers worldwide. Without Guinness, many people would never drink anything darker than a pilsner.

I've had Guinness on four different continents... not bad for a beer that is dark as night.

The beer poured a deep black color, but not completely opaque. There was a bit of light shining through the bottom and sides of the glass.

Wonderful aroma of roasted malts and fruity esters, and just a hint of hops too.

What balance - nice roasted malt flavor coming through with a decent amount of bittering hops. 6.00% by volume? That's definitely a strong and robust beer for an Irish Style Stout.

This beer was thin to medium-bodied, and left me wanting more. Ok, I think I'll have another.

01-04-2005 01:47:31 | More by Sixpoint
quad07

4.83/5  rDev +30.5%

Poured it into a clean room temperature beer glass and it did not have a large head. The head was a nice creamy Carmel color and left a lacey ring around the glass with each sip. The beer itself was very dark almost black and I could not see through it at all. Very rich looking. It had a nice wisp when the bottle was opened but I could not see carbonation in the glass.

It smelled of a roasted nut with a hint chocolate and coffee. I’m still new to this so my palate vocabulary is still growing and being refined.

The taste was much like the smell and I found myself sipping it much like I would a cup of coffee or coco. Very rich with flavor and kind of heavy but I liked it so well I have bought it several times. I’m on a quest now to try many other types of dark stouts.

10-27-2007 19:18:27 | More by quad07
Swill5786

Kentucky

4.83/5  rDev +30.5%

A - Deep, dark, cocoa brown... Almost black with a ruby outline when held to the light.
S - Not overly aromatic, reminiscent of whiskey mash, some hoppiness, a vague malt sweetness. A much more fragrant experience than the draught, that is certain.
T - Perfect hop-driven coffee-esque bitterness. Slight malty sweetness. Rating of 5 from this coffee lover.
M - Light carbonation; encourages much more a sip.
D - Very high. I absolutely love it! This is probably my favorite to drink.

07-16-2010 01:33:38 | More by Swill5786
halo21

4.83/5  rDev +30.5%

Appearance: I poured this pitch black stout into a pint glass, pouring hard to give it a nice thick, tan colored head.

Smell: Roast; barley and coffee, with a little baker's chocolate.

Taste: Big smooth roast; barley and coffee - a little burnt, but personally think it adds to the brew. There is a nice raw chocolate dryness with a little bit of fruit from the yeast esters. Hops come through on the end, and becomes more upfront as it warms and progresses.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium bodied. Not as full as the nitro Guinness; very enjoyable.

Drinkability: High. All day and all night.

Notes: I enjoy this more than the regular Guinness Draught. I first tried this just after turning 21; I didn't know what I was in for. The first sip came as a surprise, while the following ones were about trying to figure this one out. I have enjoyed it many times through the years, and will as long as they keep making it.

08-27-2010 18:33:27 | More by halo21
John

4.8/5  rDev +29.7%

Silky smooth, rich malt, chococlate & coffee. Outstanding. My bottles were from St James Gate and were no less than four years old! If anything the taste mellowed a bit with the age.

10-22-2001 11:17:19 | More by John
Blupoet03

4.8/5  rDev +29.7%

Pours black into a pint glass with a tremendous brownish-tan head.

The nose is full of toasted malt tones - coffee and chocolate balanced with hops.

Once in the mouth, it is remarkably smooth, creamy, and balanced - the taste mirrors the aroma, leaving no promise unfulfilled.

This stout dries nicely at the end, and it is easy to drink.

This beer is exemplary of its style. I have yet to have another stout that compares as an equal - only Lion Stout comes close, but its high alcohol content takes too much away from its qualities.

Great choice. Enjoy!

09-13-2007 02:09:16 | More by Blupoet03
Finster

West Virginia

4.8/5  rDev +29.7%

I'd like to start off by stating that this is my favorite beer that i've ever let cross my lips to date. I enjoy it best cold - poured slowly from the bottle into a frosty beer-mug from my freezer. I must say next that the thick, frothy, caramel-colered head created from just the right pour is extremely attractive. I would go as far as to state that this is "The Bull" of beers"; given its heavy, strong body. I enjoy drinking it slowly, letting it roll over my palate, as it tickles my taste buds with its malty bitterness. mmm... The aftertaste is quite pleasant as well. The Finster most definately abides.

05-05-2009 01:34:17 | More by Finster
shredsofautumn

4.8/5  rDev +29.7%

6 pack purchased 10/2/2010 in Easthampton, MA.

Appearance- used 30 weight motor oil. slightly tan 1 finger head on a mild pour. When held up to light, slight red hues show though.

Smell- not extremely strong. i pick up sherry, cocoa, and roasted coffee undertones.

Taste- Creamy, very dark coffee & roasted flavors. Almost as good as the foreign extra stout, but simply missing something.

Mouthfeel- Creamy, but not too thick.

Drinkability- All night.

I know this isn't a very descriptive writeup- I usually try to be very descriptive and accurate, but Guinness Extra is just one of those beers that kind of speaks for itself. Leagues better than draught, Not as good as Foreign Extra Stout. Fantastic beer despite it's commercialization. Always in my fridge.

10-03-2010 00:31:42 | More by shredsofautumn
JimBird

4.78/5  rDev +29.2%

This is my new favourite!

Same black colour as the draught but with a powerful, thick, and evil-looking brown head on top. It has the same kind of caramel-like sweetness as the draught and the blanket of bitterness, only more ramped up in its presence. Now that I have had extra-stout, I doubt I shall ever go back to the regular draught stout unless that's the only available option.

This is Guinness the way God intended.
Slainte.

05-11-2009 02:25:25 | More by JimBird
undeadozzy

4.78/5  rDev +29.2%

Got on tap in local bar. Served in a Guinness glass.

Appearance: Wonderful black pour with frothy, creamy head that never lets up.

Smell: Tones of coffee and chocolate flood the nose, and not far behind are the dark roasted malts that give this beer its dark color.

Taste: Words cannot describe how great this stout tastes. Smooth, creamy, full, warming, inviting. It's the kind of brew you could see being served in a jovial pub.

Mouthfeel: As smooth as it tastes it flutters into your mouth and down your throat as smoothly as it entered.

Drinkability: I personally could drink glass after glass of this delight without realizing how drunk I would become soon. It is glassy smooth and has a smooth dark taste to match.

03-05-2010 09:36:51 | More by undeadozzy
orcsinspace

4.78/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pour the 1 pint, 6 ounce bottle into your favorite beer mug, and instantly find out why Guinness is a legend. This is really the only Guinness product I will drink on a regular basis, and for good reason--it is by far the best.

Let's start with the head. You can chew on it! Talk about mouthfeel, this beer has a presence about it. The Extra Stout is thick and rich, and it has a texture about it. Lacing all the way down the glass in layered waves of foam. Excellent, and among the best physical characteristics of a beer I have ever seen.

The color is also amazing because it is black. You cannot see through this beer even if you shine a light through it. Many people say it is actually deep amber, but I call it black.

The taste of Extra Stout is surprisingly mellow and smooth for such a bold beer. However, it tastes exactly how it looks: roasted with a heavy, earthy taste to it. Not bitter at all. The flavor masks the alcohol flavor that many other heavy duty beers sometimes have.

I also tend to factor in price, and Extra Stout is among the cheaper 22 ounce selections. This is a fairly economical beer for what it is, and is definitely worth it. There is nothing worse than getting a 8 dollar draft of some obscure beer and struggling to finish it when you can spend less than 3 dollars at 7-11 for this.
This is an outstanding beer. Over the past few years I have drank a lot of dark beer, but Extra Stout is among the best. This beer is balanced and drinkable and has a quality to it that lots of commercial, industrial produced beer does not.

03-07-2013 16:51:40 | More by orcsinspace
Todd

Colorado

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

Presentation: 12oz short brown bottle. This particular batch was brewed under license by Labatts Breweries in Toronto, Canada ... dispelling the common belief that all Guinness in Boston comes directly from St. James Gate.

Appearance: Black as night, with a rather creamy tan head; semi-sticky and dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: Earthy esters, dark malts, mild aromatic hop bouquet of floral.

Taste: Smooth upfront with a nice rich malt flavour. Some rounded malt sweetness pulls thru (almost get some molasses out of it, and some ripe dark fruits), but it gets swept away by a hop flavour that is a bit lemony, puckering. There's also a dryness to the brew that is amplified by the hop snap. The dryness carries thru in the after taste, along with some earth/grain husk flavours.

Notes: This is the real Guinness, in my opinion. Known and labeled as their "Original," and actually, orginally, their Porter product during the 1700's (becoming their Stout in 1799). An exceptional Stout! The 60/40 nitro-injected stuff you get at the pub today is fairly new to this world (1961) -- it hardly stands up to this brew.

11-12-2000 00:00:01 | More by Todd
GeoffRizzo

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

Presentation. Large bottle (1 Pint, 6 Fl. Ozs).

Poured an obvious dark black with an initial smell of stout/chocolate. The initial taste is classic stout, a mix of both bitterness and dryness on the palate. A clean mouthfeel, with a bit of chocolate left after the first few sips. Overall, has set the standard for stouts, drinkable anywhere, anytime.

Notes. Picked up this pint while grocery shopping, a revisit, have not had a Guinness in 3-4 years. Be sure to stock some.

01-31-2003 19:59:31 | More by GeoffRizzo
Retta123

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

Draft Beer in a Guinness glass of course.

Appearance: Wonderful dark dark brown with creamy cream colored head.

Smell: Don't know...

Taste: Yum!!! Yeah - that's all I got.

Mouthfeel: Creamy goodness!!!

Overall: Currently my favorite beer. I have not found anything that beat the appearance, taste, mouthfeel or overall experience of a Guinness.

12-09-2012 04:45:46 | More by Retta123
KrisPaulk77

Mississippi

4.72/5  rDev +27.6%

This is the beer that got me into better beer. Up until the moment I had my first Guinness, I drank light lager, because that was all I knew. This beer changed that...
Poured into a standard pint glass. The beer is a dark, opaque black, with deep ruby highlights when held to light. A big foamy head, two fingers worth, crowned the beer. Retention was superb. It seemed like it wanted to hang around forever. When it did subside, there was a nice cap of foam over the beer, and a thick coating of lace on the sides of the pint. Beautiful.
The aroma has a mineral twang to it, a nice roasted barley and coffee aroma, malty sweetness, a whisp of smoke, and light fruits.
The taste starts with a smooth sweet malt flow that changes course to a nice bitter build-up, to a sharp bitter tang and astringent coffee taste, down to a dry finish. The previous sip is screaming for the next. There is a medley of sweet malts, roasted barley, coffee, a bit of burnt sugar, and bitter notes to be found. The beer feels nice in the mouth, drinks smoothly, and very easily.
I could drink Guinness Extra Stout every day. It can be found anywhere. This beer may not get the respect other stouts get, but this beer will always be an A+ in my book.

03-04-2010 03:16:13 | More by KrisPaulk77
Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.