1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: guinness33 on 11-12-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,863 | Reviews: 1,208 | Show All Ratings:
crnipeter

Slovenia

1.1/5  rDev -70.3%

Immediately after opening the bottle a short lasting mild hoppy aroma enters the nostrils and vanishes moments later. 330 ml, BBE 31/07/2010, into tulip.

The pour produces spectacular tan head atop ink-black liquid. The head becomes dimply as it retreats until clumps of foam resembling detergent floating on heavily polluted river are the only remnants of once seducing head.
Acidic aroma with traces of charcoal and without hoppiness this time.
Minimalistic acid charcoal flavor.
Let me emphasize that I'm aware of how good stout of this type should taste/smell like. The flavor profile should abound in sharpness of roasted grains or malts giving birth to coffee bean bitterness with optional sensation of bitter-sweet chocolate or cocoa. Unfortunately I cannot detect anything apart from basic sharpness expressed as acidic bitterness of charred cereal compounds. I have to bridle my tongue so I'll limit myself to saying only that charred organic matter subjected to alcoholic fermentation does not equal art of brewing.

Mouthfeel is oily and palate irritating with carbon dioxide trapped inside. I strongly dislike this brew and giving it 3 points for appearance makes me feel generous.

12-20-2009 16:44:37 | More by crnipeter
thegodfather2701

1.53/5  rDev -58.6%

A-Poured into an oversized snifter. It pours nearly pitch black with a nice tan head which slowly dissipates leaving a nice ring of foam. It has some nice cascading and lacing.

S-I must admit it smells quite skunked. It smells like a Heineken with a hint of chocolate.

T-Ashtray, skunked beer,day old coffee, bitter dark chocolate, and just a hint of caramel. Absolutely terrible, without a doubt one of, if not the worst beer I have ever tasted.

M-Somewhat over carbonated.

D-I'm pouring this out right now.

Overall, I must have purchased a bad bottle because this is aweful. Without a doubt one of the worst beer experiences of my life. It looked beautiful in the glass but tastes terrible. Maybe one day I will work up the courage to purchase another bottle and update this review, but for now I urge you to avoid at all costs.

02-21-2010 00:49:36 | More by thegodfather2701
nicholas2121

1.6/5  rDev -56.8%

Guinness Extra Stout was my first Guinness product. I never tried a Stout before. Well The appearance was a Dark Dark Brown. Nice looking color. The smell was not to bad I would say the small was about average. The taste was just bad I did not like it at all. I did drink all of this Beer. I did not like it. Mouth feel was about the same as the taste just did not like it. I know there are many people out there that like this type of beer but I'm not one of them.
Sorry just not my type of beer.

06-04-2010 14:01:49 | More by nicholas2121
EyeBeeFameUs

1.66/5  rDev -55.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

I did not enjoy this brew at all. It looked decent as I poured it into my glass, but when I took the first sip I was instantly transported to China because it tasted exactly like soy sauce. It sat there dead on my tongue and eventually the aftertaste was like teriyaki sauce. I had to pour the rest out and drink a Shock Top to ease my pain.

I would not recommend this beer to anyone that doesn't like the taste of chinese food in their beer. The dark color looks like chocolate but does not taste like chocolate liquor or chocolate or coffee anything. I was excited to try something new but I was not satisfied with Guiness Extra Stout. I will try a regular Guiness although.

05-13-2013 22:30:05 | More by EyeBeeFameUs
headlessparrot

Ontario (Canada)

1.68/5  rDev -54.6%

While at the Beer Store this afternoon, I decided to do a bit of a one-on-one comparison between Guinness Pub Draught (in a can, the only of the Guinness stouts actually brewed in Ireland) and Guinness Extra Stout, which is contract brewed by Labatt's (and is so clearly not an import that it appears on the Premium Brands wall rather than the Imported Brands wall). After serving up a Guinness Draught in my pint glass (and being thoroughly pleased with the results), I cracked a bottle of the competition.

That the extra stout is contract brewed by Labatt's does not give me a warm feeling, as they are undoubtedly my least favourite of the Canadian brewers (even Molson beers are a touch more pallatable). But nevertheless, I trek onward. My initial dissapoint lies in this brew sitting in an industry standard bottle that fails to do the Guinness-style justice. Plan gold cap with a simple print, plain gold label. Nevertheless, I poured the stout to see what's what.

Guinness Extra Stout pours almost black as night, with only the slightest hints of ruby penetrating at the very edges, and only in bright light. The brew is capped by two healthy fingers off a very nutty-off-white coloured head (markedly different from the frothy cap of the draught). Unlike the draught, this cap dies down quite quickly, and leaves only slight lacing that is quite runny. After about five minutes, there is only an ever-so-slight ring of head that still persists. Stouts are tasty looking beers, but even for a stout, I'm not especially impressed.

Smell is average, at best. I really can't get much at all in the nose, even after several moments of careful observation. All I really get is a faintly bitter hoppiness, and some burnt (not good burnt, but rather burnt to the point of unpleasantness) coffee notes. Slightly grassy, also. Nothing like the beautiful odour of the draught.

Taste is not great either. Burnt coffee (again, to the point of unpleasantness) is the only real flavour note I can detect. Beyond that is a harsh metallic sort of twang (very prominant, and very unpleasant). Some faint hoppiness (a grassiness) also, faint roasted barley, I suppose, but this brew is severely lacking. I'm mystified as to why Guinness attaches its name to it. Finish is dry and there's a general oddness that, I suppose, is a combination of all of the off flavours in the actual taste. Certainly lacks the creaminess, and the body of the draught.

Mouthfeel is a bit of a bright spot. Carbonation is only slightly excessive, but at least the body is nice and moderate. However, the draught in a can also gets a much better score here for combining that nice mouthfeel with a perfect level of quiet carbonation.

As for drinkability, I could see it being possible to have a few of these - but really, why would you want to (upon further reflection, I actually found myself pouring out extra bottles of the stuff because my tastebuds and my stomach simply could not deal with it - this is the only beer I've ever had that I can say this for).

Guinness Extra Stout is... not good at all. If you're going in for a Guinness branded stout (and you, presumably, don't have the means to actually go to Ireland), stick with the Guinness Pub Draught in a can. This offering is just not pleasing.

05-18-2006 04:16:48 | More by headlessparrot
treehugginslug

1.78/5  rDev -51.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Fine

S - Smell of chocolate and coffee, with roasted barley. Not too impressive for a stout.

T - Tastes were similar to smell, but the after taste that every talks about is similar to cigarettes! This immediately turned me off. I guess this was the roasted barley, but it was unbearable.

M - Couldn't get past the taste of cigarettes.

D - Low

Buy again? No
Recommend? No
Drink at party? No

Overall: Hard to drink and suprised that this is rated so high. Wonder if people are too blinded by the aura of Guinness to notice a bad beer.

06-19-2010 05:41:57 | More by treehugginslug
b3shine

1.8/5  rDev -51.4%

Consumed from a bottle. I say consumed because in no way did I enjoy it. This beer sucks. If you think otherwise, you're clearly green when it comes to beer. I'm not a huge Guinness fan to begin with, but take away the creaminess of the nitrogen and you've got beer I wouldn't serve to my enemy.

03-30-2011 01:13:57 | More by b3shine
Erdinger2003

Iowa

1.85/5  rDev -50%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a nice big head that stays around for a while, but has a lacing that is lacking. The color is black, but I noticed as I was pouring you could see through the beer coming out. Smell is very very bready and bisquity. Almost like play-dough, like when I was a kid. Wow, not very appealing, I smell no malts, no coffee, no roastiness. Nothing. Taste is off, has a slight roastiness, but mostly an off flavor that's very disturbing. That flavor mellows out, but the sweet/sour flavor is still present. The mouthfeel is ok, has a lot of carbonation making it a bit fizzy. Overall I wouldn't try this again without the knowledge that it's fresh or not tampered with. This was from John's and something is wrong for sure!

03-09-2007 12:18:44 | More by Erdinger2003
Thehuntmaster

South Africa

1.88/5  rDev -49.2%

660ml bottle 5,0% Abv.
Served chilled in a beer mug.

When I saw a case of this for sale at my local bottle store for R100 (13USD) I was quite excited, thinking I had found my new cheap session beer. I quite enjoy Guinness Draft and thought this would be similar; boy was I wrong.

Appearance: The body seems dark brown in the glass, but a back light shows it to in fact be deep red. A soft pour yields a massive light tan head that fizzes away pretty quickly and leaves almost no lace.

Smell: Sniff, sniff.... Wait, why the fuck does my Guinness smell like maize? I grabbed the bottle to check the ingredients...
"Brewed under license in South Africa"
"Ingredients: MAIZE".
This has to be the sorriest excuse for a stout I have come across. It smells like a mass produced lager - maize, metallic and stale. There is virtually no roasted malt.

Taste: As bad as the nose - this is basically an adjunct lager with the faintest hint of half roasted malt.

Mouthfeel: Light and fizzy.

Overall: I will never buy this again! A 1 was awarded just because it was so disappointing.

11-08-2011 13:33:17 | More by Thehuntmaster
prsguitarsr4me

1.9/5  rDev -48.6%

When someone figures out that I'm a beer nut, they almost always say the same crap: "Yea I love beer, too - and not that cheap crap. I'm talking about Guinness - its like a meal in itself!" I've even heard "Guinness is God's greatest creation" several times. Then I say my standard response: "Yeah...Guinness is ok, but there is better stuff out there." Sometimes people are put off or disgusted when I say this, and some are interested in that better stuff that is out there.

Anyway, I think (and I know that even most people on this site will disagree with me) that Guinness is next to undrinkable. I can't stand it. It does look good - nice creamy pour with a nice creamy head. The smell and taste are just so skunky to me, though. Sure the feel is thick and creamy, but it is overdone. In my experience, if the beer isn't cold enough, it is plain flat. And I don't like my stouts that cold! Drinkability is low, as I can barely finish a bottle.

12-27-2008 22:38:52 | More by prsguitarsr4me
beer256

2.05/5  rDev -44.6%

i wasnt impressed with this beer at all.i think i had to high expectations because i never tried guinness before and this was the only one they had. i brought a cold six pack and just tried it and i think it wasnt at serving temps.the after taste was awful,the only way i could finish the six pack was to drink it ice cold.

Serving type: nitro-bottle

12-23-2009 04:57:27 | More by beer256
DavoleBomb

2.08/5  rDev -43.8%

Poured into a snifter. I hate regular Guinness with a passion for its lifeless, black water taste. I've heard countless times how this is a real beer. We shall see.

3.5 A: Black color. Little over one finger of frothy tan head. Retention is about average and a decent amount of lacing is left.

2.0 S: Smells like a super old pot of coffee, like oxidized/acrid coffee. Chocolate underneath and a mild roast. While the regular smells like nothing, this smells strange and uninviting.

2.0 T: This has the same taste that a horrid brewpub in Baltimore had in all their beers. It's like a soggy piece of bread or at least something of that nature. Mild roastiness. Even less chocolate. Old coffee.

2.0 M: Just lighter than a medium body. Carbonation is a bit too high. No creaminess.

2.0 D: This is a subpar beer for sure, but at least it has some taste (not necessary a good taste) unlike the regular.

02-08-2012 03:51:28 | More by DavoleBomb
SamN

Colorado

2.1/5  rDev -43.2%

A- A nice smooth color, just a shade lighter than black, with a two finger foamy tan head. A classic looking Irish dry stout.

S- Bland hops presence. The malts smell sub-par. Dry smell, as thin as a sheet of paper.

T- I'm probably used to much bigger stouts, this hardly tastes stout-like at all. Taste is very thin, sharp hops with some toasted bread malt taste. This is surprisingly hoppy. Where are the sweet creamy malts?

M- Very bubbly, there is a lot of carbonation in this. Incredibly thin body, not very smooth but it coasts your mouth pretty well after swirling it around a bit.

D- Average, very average. There is absolutely no reason why I would ever drink this again. I've never liked any Guinness products, but I've heard people say how much better extra stout is. Gimmie a break, this is no stout, I don't care what the Irish say. Guinness sucks, and real stout drinkers don't drink this swill.

02-17-2010 21:55:19 | More by SamN
BeerBob

Nebraska

2.13/5  rDev -42.4%

Pours black from the bottle that has "St. James Gate Dublin" on the paper label, this is a lie, as this brew came from Canada.

This brew still looks good...

This brew is devoid of any of the flavors of the "Traditionally Brewed"

This brew is only 5.00% ABV, per the Guinness website.

This brew is but an empty shell of it's former self.

04-08-2007 08:56:51 | More by BeerBob
cyrenaica

Ontario (Canada)

2.13/5  rDev -42.4%

This is the beer that convinced me that Ales are not for me. I think the aroma is alright, and as for appearance, there is something about beer that looks like coffee that turns me off. Even the flavour wasn't that appealing to me. I found this to be a slightly bitter beverage. Even the mouthfeel felt very thick and strong with little in the way of carbonation. I'm the only person I know who doesn't really like Guinness so it's not you people...it's me.

08-26-2007 02:28:35 | More by cyrenaica
flyingv63

2.13/5  rDev -42.4%

Sooo pumped for guinness, it is the irish beer right how much cooler can you get. Pop the top smell the roasted-ness then took a swig...fucking wow....i felt like i just drank burnt toast. I know i'm only 21 and probably haven't acquired a taste for stouts yet, but how could you ever drink more than one of these puppies I had trouble finishing one... i appreciate a good beer, but this was just rough!...Sorry guys just my opinion....(At least it smells/looks cooL)

12-26-2010 09:48:54 | More by flyingv63
oelergud

2.25/5  rDev -39.2%

One of the best looking beers I've seen, almost black with a creamy head that stays for a good while.
smell: bitter and earth like, but not in a good way, same for the taste, I heard alot of good stuff about this beer but it's not for me, much to bitter and the alcohol too apparent. I found no sweetness in the beer, just bitterness and an unpleasant lingering aftertaste.
Very low on my drinkability scale.

12-30-2002 19:57:35 | More by oelergud
cameraman

Kentucky

2.25/5  rDev -39.2%

I ask the question? Is there anything more mesmerizing than watching a Guinness settle, I didn't think so. The beer is black color with hint of a brown and red along the sides of the glass. A creamy thick head, tan to light beige in color, settles at quarter inch high and not going anywhere. A chocolaty aroma at first scent, then a mild bread fragrance with a slight grassy scent at the end. A strong dark bread flavor, along with heavy malt flavors. Those flavors blend to mild chocolate taste, then moving to a mild citrus bitterness, with a touch of pine, those last flavors linger on the palate for some time. Though it looks thick, mostly due to the head, it has rather a thin watery feel at the front. It does gain some weight as it reaches the back of the throat, leaving the palate fairly dry. This is a visually stunning and beautiful beer, the aroma and flavor are very lackluster and the feel reminds me of a macro brew, with out the strong carbonation. Though this beer is in many ways is supposed to be the standard it falls short.

Serving type: nitro-tap

11-07-2009 22:17:28 | More by cameraman
beertaster13

Washington

2.3/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Guinness Extra Stout was highly recommended by friends of mine. I recently came into stouts and porters and have loved them. So when I saw GES at the store I had to pick it up. I bought the 22 oz brown bottle with the famous Guinness logo. When poured it became a dark coffee looking beer with a mocha frosty head that stayed on very well. Then when I expected to smell greatness, I was dissapointed, the smell is of roasted malt and traces of coffee but a very subtle smell instead of the strong smell in other stouts. The taste is below average on a basis of stouts. The coffee and roasted malts are strong in the beginning but a very metallic taste comes on strong at the end and won't let go, horrible. Feels average in the mouth, very full and dense. I barely could finish my 22 oz. beer so I couldn't drink anymore, had to switch to Rogue Stout. Below Average for a stout.

02-24-2004 09:42:45 | More by beertaster13
nick76

2.3/5  rDev -37.8%

The aroma is not quite to style. It's only got a bitter hops element and alcohol as well as a toasted adjunct malt. The appearance is right, it's dark brown with a large tan head. The flavor is awful. It's astringently bitter with an over brewed coffee and corn finish. The palate is thin. This is actually bad.

04-10-2009 05:25:41 | More by nick76
Thorpe429

2.35/5  rDev -36.5%

Bottle picked up at Total Wine in Alexandria. Served in a Hill Farmstead wine glass.

Pour brings a black-bodied brew with a good-sized light tan head. Head sticks around for a bit before fading into a nice cap with quite a bit of lacing on the edges of the glass. The nose is pretty off with some roast and chocolate plus a bit of cardboard. Slight metallic character there as well. The flavor is really bad. It's metallic and oxidized with some dry roast. Feel is metallic. Just not a very good beer. I really wish they'd only make the Foreign Extra Stout.

03-15-2011 21:24:41 | More by Thorpe429
klewis

2.4/5  rDev -35.1%

A: Pours a solid black with a big foamy head. Moderate lacing.

S: Mostly malt in the nose with some coffee aromas.

T: Astringent with strong flavors of ash and burnt wood.

M: The body is about right for a dry stout, but there is tons of carbonation which gets in the way of the flavor.

D: Not a good taste, bad carbonation, hard to drink.

04-25-2006 00:37:11 | More by klewis
Drew966

2.4/5  rDev -35.1%

Guiness Extra Stout pours an almost black color with some lighter highlights around the edges with a thick, fluffy tan head. Aroma is disappointing, there isn't much at all. Smooth mouthfeel, but the taste just isn't doing it for me. Not the rich roasted malt flavors I seek. Just some bitter astringency and maybe some butterscotch in the finish. Disappointing.

05-01-2006 00:48:24 | More by Drew966
dananabanana

2.4/5  rDev -35.1%

A: Dark brown, almost black. Light reveals a deep auburn/ ruby color at the bottom. Thick, solid beige head. Strong lacing doesn't slide down the side of the glass.

S: Freshly ground coffee.

T: Bitter coffee, espresso. A very "dusty" flavor. The aftertaste is sort of metallic.

M: It just sits there, dead on your tongue.

D: Just bitter, no complexity at all. I couldn't even finish the bottle.

Perhaps it had gone bad, there was a definite dustiness. I bought it recently at a store I always have good experiences with. There was no freshness date on the bottle so I couldn't tell. I may need to give this one another try some day...

09-19-2008 11:54:57 | More by dananabanana
JamesHenjum

2.43/5  rDev -34.3%

A: Completely black. Huge creamy head that will not go away. Best part of this beer is the look.

S: Strong roasted/coffee

T: Incredibly strong bitter coffee and roasted flavor. But these flavors are too strong. Very burnt tasting. Leaves strong aftertaste. Burnt coffee DESTROYS any toffee or chocolate that may be hidden underneath making the beer bitter and one dimensional.

M: Not creamy enough, and the aftertaste stays too long.

O: Beer is far too bitter. I prefer regular Guinness Draught.

07-23-2012 02:20:09 | More by JamesHenjum
Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.