1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: guinness33 on 11-12-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Ratings: 2,858 | Reviews: 1,208 | Show All Ratings:
Jimmycubs

Wisconsin

4.86/5  rDev +31.4%

Not normally into higher end beers but this one is perfect. Head is thick and creamy. Goes down SMOOTH. It's served closer to room temp and tastes better that way. I've bought a 6 pack before but cold out of the fridge just isn't anywhere nearly as good. Best by far of all stouts I've ever had.

03-08-2014 15:50:24 | More by Jimmycubs
kcrosson492

3.31/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

While in Ireland grab a pint of Guinness, that is exactly what I did (a couple times).

A-Nice thick head (approximately 3'') with a dark body. Great separation of head and body.

S-The smell is welcoming but not as strong as one would expect.

T-Not a ton of taste but still enjoyable.

M-It is an interestingly feel on the tongue and cheeks. Thick and creamy beer.

O-It is a great beer and a must drink on tap. I am not as appreciative of the flavor while in a bottle. For best results, get a plane ticket and head to Ireland. I would not suggest drinking this over and over.

02-07-2014 02:11:56 | More by kcrosson492
NoBeerSnob

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

The first time I tasted a Guinness Extra Stout (many, many years ago), I was not impressed. Compared to the Coors and Budweiser I was accustomed to at the time, the Guinness tasted nothing remotely like “beer”.

I recently gave it another go at a local pub (draft), and I fell instantly in love with this brew. Creamy, velvety mouth-feel, malty chocolate beer-shake, delicious!

I tried to replicate the experience at home with a bottle poured into a pint glass, but it fell well short of the mark. It wasn’t bad, but it lacked the mouth-feel and seemed to lack the balance of the draft...a little too bitter. It did improve as the beer came to room temperature. In fact, I drank all the remaining bottles at room temperature.

The points go to the draft...deduct 1.0 for the bottle.

11-26-2013 15:48:28 | More by NoBeerSnob
Private_Beer_Tongue

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

It's Guinness and if your not familiar with the Brand it is kind of the "Average" beer drinkers "Exotic" Brew choice when their not Tossing back Bud Or a Coors its the original fancy beer of the masses which in my Beerpinion is best out the tap not from a bottle, at just cooler than 50 degrees (my preference) its really creamy and smooth not much else though very simple and straight forward which is likely the reason people seem to like it so much its just EZ to drink I prefer a Anchor Steam Porter myself but find that if I am @ a family function Guinness is likely the only reputable and readily available alternative!

09-23-2013 01:16:18 | More by Private_Beer_Tongue
Pyramid_Head

Missouri

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

Guinness is easily one of the best macrobrews you'll find, but by no means is it the best dark beer. Not even close.

Guinness isn't bad. It has a great velvety mouthfeel, a nice looking head, properly poured Guinness looks like a work of art. Taste wise while it's nice and bitter, there's a strange funk in the background. It could have just been poor cleanliness on the part of the somewhat crappy sports bar i tried it in, and given a chance i would like to try it again. That said when it comes to dark beers i almost always recommend you try a local brew first.

09-22-2013 12:19:12 | More by Pyramid_Head
Retta123

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

Draft Beer in a Guinness glass of course.

Appearance: Wonderful dark dark brown with creamy cream colored head.

Smell: Don't know...

Taste: Yum!!! Yeah - that's all I got.

Mouthfeel: Creamy goodness!!!

Overall: Currently my favorite beer. I have not found anything that beat the appearance, taste, mouthfeel or overall experience of a Guinness.

12-09-2012 04:45:46 | More by Retta123
GordonofSeattle

Washington

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

The first time I had the stout on tap I disliked it. It seemed to hit me like a burnt-bitter fist in the mouth. Subsequent tastings on tap in Ireland converted me into a full on stout lover.

The look, properly poured, is phenomenal.

Smell: smells like a good Irish session.

Taste: roasted, chocolaty, substantive, delicious, creamy, perfect balance of darkness and carbonation.

Overall: If only Guinness in the states were as good as on tap in Ireland....

03-25-2012 01:54:06 | More by GordonofSeattle
jman42

4.4/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at an Irish Pub in NYC (so perhaps the ambiance added to it)

A - Beautiful black color with nice long-lasting head. Good lacing

S - Nice malty aroma. Hints of coffee. No noticable hoppiness

T - Nice rich taste

M - Creamy, lasts after I swallowed it. Good

O - A nice beer to have on a cool Fall/Winter day. Wouldn't want more than 1 or 2 before switching to something less filling, but nice.

02-11-2012 13:30:48 | More by jman42
stealth

4.38/5  rDev +18.4%

Not as good as Foreign, but always a good dependable staple. I'm glad pretty much everyone has this on tap in my area. Roasted malt, subtle chocolate, licorice, and a nice balanced bitter finish. Can drink this all night without any real 'repercussions'. Just make sure that its fresh when on-tap. Non-fresh Guinness is not pleasant when it returns the next morning. One of the best looking beers out there.

01-12-2012 10:30:21 | More by stealth
Jra1985

Oklahoma

Got on tap at a Buffalo Wild Wings ( They didn't have much to choose from). I knew Guinness was a good beer as I have had many times so I went with it.

A- Very dark brown, almost black with a tan and creamy head that has good retention and lacing. A good looking beer.

S-Smell of roasted malts and coffee. Some hints of barley and chocolate or caramel as well.

T-Good tasting beer. You can taste the roasted malts and coffee flavors. Pretty much what it smells like.

M- Good medium bodied stout that has a creamy feel to it. Goes down smooth.

O- This is a really decent beer (especially for a macro). It surely isn't the best stout out there but it is easily findable and the price is right. If you want a good beer without shelling out a bunch of money then you can't go wrong with Guinness.

01-05-2012 21:07:09 | More by Jra1985
LAMAGS

My best experience with Guinness was recently when i got the first pour from a fresh keg. This may color my review but I've always enjoyed this beer. The Pint was very dark with a thick ultra-creamy head; excellent retention. The taste is unusually good for a run of the mill brew with a stout malty coffee flavor with a sweet caramel finish. The mouth-feel was what was remarkable to me, very thick and creamy, I would liken it to a stout milkshake, really satisfying and enjoyable to drink.

09-10-2011 20:13:43 | More by LAMAGS
cbray

United Kingdom (England)

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

Looks beautiful, but fairly shabby for a stout. Stout is supposed to be extra thick and juicy, being a Stout Porter, but Guinness just seems fairly insipid and thin. I love the heritage, look and brand, but it's a really weak product. I think the accountants over in St. James' gate have got to the brewers and penny-pinching has prevailed. It's sad but true. Not the best stout in the world, not even the best stout in Dublin...

07-12-2011 13:24:31 | More by cbray
UpNorthLager

Wisconsin

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

I've had this many times in many containers. But I feel like reviewing it now. Had it poured from the tap while watching my friends' band, Travesty, at Wouter's in Suamico. (At St. Brendan's Irish Inn in Green Bay, they fashion a shamrock upon the head of the beer.)

The pint glass with the Guinness label was set flat under the tap, as the server poured the rich, airy brew into it. Time magically turned the brown-white foam into beer.

The deep dark brown beer with the thick, resilient head provided me a faint aroma and somewhat surprisingly light (for the visual clues say, "dark.") taste, including the distinct roasted grain.

The mouthfeel is significant, but I noted a bit of a sour finish.

For me, this is a special beer - or should I say, "unique experience," as it carries with it an historic cultural memory.

06-26-2011 19:03:28 | More by UpNorthLager
keeper006

Oklahoma

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

Plenty to read about this famous brew. Just had to note that if you go to Ireland and have this form the tap there, it will ruin the imported bottle stuff we get in America for you.

The woodsy malt is more pronounced and it is much sweeter and nuttier. I see why they spend a lot on trying to come up with different ways to keep this fresh in the bottle when shipping, it is so much better I can't drink it ever since I got back to the US.

03-25-2011 19:05:57 | More by keeper006
WoodBrew

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

St. James' gate...second best to St. Pete's gate....In my opinion. Anyone who turns there nose up to a fine healthing serving of Guinness needs to help to understand the finer things of life. Guinness helped to solid the history of the IRISH! Yeah Baby! The color...do I really need to go over this...for a wonderful traditional beer! C'mon...I aint doing it. You want to know more....man up and enjoy!

03-19-2011 04:26:08 | More by WoodBrew
sjmacdougall

2.98/5  rDev -19.5%

I typically only have this beer once a year, the obligatory Saint Patrick's Day Guinness.

A - Appears to be a very dark brown, almost black color. It had the typical head of a Guinness. I've always enjoyed the look of a Guinness.

S - Malts are very noticeable. Sometimes a coffee or nut smell comes through.

T - An extremely malty flavor with, again, coffee.

M - Very smooth texture that, I believe, sacrifices some of the carbonation.

Overall, this is your average stout. I enjoy a Guinness and 3/17.

03-18-2011 13:52:21 | More by sjmacdougall
Frothboss

Kentucky

3.2/5  rDev -13.5%

Rich dark color black but i can see some light thru it where the glass thins. Has my favorite froth for this style, thick and sticky, goes nowhere fast and the color looks bread. Smell coffee and roastex malts. Tasts good with coffee and dark roasts. A little on the light end for stouts with me but still good. Mouthfeel is a little watery but carbonation is ok tastes good. I will alwayz enjoy a guinness, espexially on an empty stomach but not my first choi e for stouts.

02-23-2011 23:00:03 | More by Frothboss
MoreThanWine

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

Ahh, the standbye classic choice of the Boston Irish pub. From tap it comes with an inch or two of tiny bubbled fine froth which feels like velvet. Dark and opaque. The taste is milder and sweeter than the appearance hints. You get some mild malt, a touch of caramel. Not the most flavorful beer but it feels great and goes down easy.

02-04-2011 09:40:04 | More by MoreThanWine
anakar

Israel

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

Had it in a good burger place yesterday, so I'm reviewing it from the tap.

App - Black, big thick white head. Can't see through

Smell - Very malty and strong

Taste - Bitter, very bitter and (if you like Irish stuff) rich. This is what you look for in an Irish Stout

Mouth - Creamy, lovely - much better than from bottle

Drink - Ordered a second so it's an easy drink even though it's very bitter and heavy.

01-07-2011 23:11:58 | More by anakar
SmokinSmyth

4.58/5  rDev +23.8%

Certainly not the first time I've had one of these, but the first time since creating this database.

It was a beautiful Sunday, Penny and I were at "Walk Ons" just outside the LSU campus. It was late in the afternoon, and I had two pints with some hot boneless wings and brisket sliders while watching the Duke/Baylor game, with the winner heading to the Final Four.

I was pleasantly surprised when the girl poured both pints properly, with a good break between the first two thirds and the last third. Perhaps a tiny bit colder than recommended, but a wonderful creamy head that really hit the spot. It's very hard to beat.

10-02-2010 18:25:09 | More by SmokinSmyth
tjsmith910

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Just a beauty when poured and the anticipation of greatness was there. The taste had me wanting more though. The tastr and mouth feel were about as expected. 7 years ago, I thought this was terrible. Today I am somewhat impressed. Their quality overall is impressive.

09-16-2010 15:58:56 | More by tjsmith910
IPAescotch

2.6/5  rDev -29.7%

A: coffee with cream dark (watery). in all fairness i think the bar MAY water down the beer.

S: bubblegum

T: a bruised and crushed grapefruit. Aluminum

M: creamy, uncarbonated.

D: no. despicable. highly unrecommended even at its peak. try a real stout.

09-04-2010 03:54:46 | More by IPAescotch
rpardon7

Kentucky

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

Had this on draft in a pub in County Claire Ireland, poured well with a inch thick white head that lasted the beer. Smell was roasted malt chocolate and oak, taste was the same roasted malt chocolate with a woody dry finish that was nice and smoothe. The mouthfeel is very full and creamy but not thick. Drinkability is excellent this is a nice football season stout.

07-12-2010 17:56:49 | More by rpardon7
SimpleBeerLover

Georgia

4.35/5  rDev +17.6%

Appearance: Served in a Guinness branded pint glass. Everything I like in a beer. Decent head and black as the night.

Smell: Chocholatey and malt smell.

Taste: Excellent. notes of chocolate. Tastes and feel exactly like its name: Stout.

Mouthfeel: Slightly thin, but the head is phenomenal in your mouth.

Drinkability: Maybe not all night, but I love nothing more than to pound back a few Guinnesses after a hard day.

My old standby. Not my favorite beer in the world, but probably my favorite major commercial beers. The fact that its available everywhere and is delicious makes it for me. Also surprisingly low calorie for its "meal in a glass" reputation.

04-30-2010 05:22:18 | More by SimpleBeerLover
kneeland

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%

I never thought of myself as a Guinness drinker, but I really do enjoy having one every now and then. I used to think it was too thick and too dark, but that was back in college when all I would drink is the light beer on sale. Now that I'm older and enjoy full flavored beers, Guinness is a great change of pace. And I enjoy having more than one at a time.

03-31-2010 23:26:31 | More by kneeland
Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.