Join our email list →

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland | website

Irish Dry Stout | 6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,303 | Hads: 3,898
2.1/5  rDev -43.2%

This is sad. The strong notes that you get of chocolate doest taste or small like chocolate and the coffee notes aren't coffee. I hate to say it because I love good Stouts but this one tastes like soy sauce. The only thing that I get good out of this is maybe a little chocolate covered raisins.

3.86/5  rDev +4.3%

I tend to favor smaller breweries, but there is a reason this is one of the best known beers in the world. Just straight up good stout taste. Seems like the flavor comes out even more after it has warmed a little bit (have almost always had this in bomber form). Delicious.

4.79/5  rDev +29.5%

This is a great stout. Stouts are great beers. What else is there to say? I love the thick, rich and creamy head that stays the whole beer through. The way the lacing effortlessly settles on the sides of the glass. The darkness of the brew. And the taste, that's where it all comes together. The mouth feel
Is a little lighter than expected, but still solid. If you're a fan of stouts, be a fan of this offering.

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

L: black with a nice foamy head
S: sweet malt, some dark roast
T: like the nose, some sweet dark malt, nice roastiness but not overpowering.
F: sessionable for sure, slight syrupiness, but still thin and crushable.

2.61/5  rDev -29.5%

It looks beautiful, but I never understood why every single time I have one bottle of this stuff, it tastes awful. The smell is coffee mixed with alcohol. However, the entire experience when I drink it is bland. It's mouth-feel is oily and it tastes like burnt water.

I stopped drinking this a few years ago.

I recommend this if you like dark beers, I am not a fan of them no longer.

2.99/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

I'm not digging the aroma (big time) and flavor (to a lesser degree) of floral notes and light fruit. Not the dark fruit flavor that is great in darker ales, but some weird lighter stuff that doesn't fit. My least favorite Guinness variety.

4.67/5  rDev +26.2%

Perhaps my new favorite beer, and for sure my go to for a stout. Smells like roasted malt, I could bury my nose in this for a while. Taste is well balanced chocolate and coffee, nothing comes off too strong, Ever so slight hint of floral. Not too carbonated, very easy to drink.

3.86/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

L: Very dark with a lingering thick tan head.

S: Smells like malts, some chocolate and coffee. I also get some interesting almost floral smells to it.
12 oz bottle poured into a long glass.

T: I mainly taste chocolate with a bit of coffee and some floral flavors. Quite tasty with the floral notes as well. A bit of hop stops it from being too sweet.

F: Smooth and creamy mouthfeel, not like tar or anything but you know you are drinking a heavy bodied beer.
Comments: Quite pleasant to drink on its own, I made the mistake of trying to eat a hotdog with extra mustard at the same time; bad idea I almost gagged. Other than that good beer.

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

I drank this out of a 22 ounce bottle, the color was very dark, basically almost black. It was a very thick beer which had hints of bitter chocolate and coffee tastes to it. It had a powerful and creamy finish to it and all in all this was a very decent beer, much better than regular Guinness.

3.69/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours jet black with thick foamy tan head that lasts for several minutes really good lacing.

Smell getting notes of roasted malts and caramel maybe some chocolate as well.

Taste bitter chocolate some malts maybe a little coffee flavor as well.

Feel thick and creamy little burn from the bitterness

Overall a decent beer probably would not have another but a solid beer just not really a flavor I enjoyed.

4.21/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark with an impressive tan head that settles in the middle but clings to the glass. smells like a stout but doesn't jump out to me. tastes kinda chalky and nice and medium to thick mouthfeel. overall a great beer

3.49/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Dark Black, Light Tan head, lacing
Smell: Roasted malts
Taste: Roasted Malt, slight acidity, coffee, dry and bitter
Feel: A little on the thin side, medium carbonation
Overall: a classic beer, but not one of my favorites

4.18/5  rDev +13%

Well...If I ever run out of Blackstrap Molasses, I hope I have some of this stuff in the 'fridge. I can "sop" it up with my breakfast biscuits. Whew, it is heavy on the chewy. If I were out of Pinner or Hop Hunter, I would definitely down some Guiness Extra Stout...but...I wouldn't really like it. I rated this on my old, fantasized/remembered "malty-chewy" mindset. I don't like it, but, I used to...before my Hoptimum-Rebel Rouser revelation. Tastes change. Deal. At least, it doesn't evoke the "banana-malty" Coors taste...and the Clove-tasting Tripels. UGH!! P.S.: I WOULD drink it on a bet, a dare, or were it the last beer standing during the Zombie Apocalypse.

3.94/5  rDev +6.5%

This was my introduction to stouts many years ago but I've never rated it. Poured into pint glass. The color is a deep mahogany, nearly black, and opaque, with a creamy, frothy light tan head and lacing. I've always enjoyed watching a draught pour. The primary smell is a roasty malt with a little whiff of coffee and raisin. Ah, the taste: smoky malt, burnt coffee, dark chocolate, and a hint of raisin or other dark fruit. The flavors work together beautifully. The feel is creamy, smooth, and incredibly easy drinking. For some reason, I've always been able to drink a lot of Guinness without feeling it. I will say that it's better on draught than out of the bottle. I also prefer the can with the widget. But ever out of the bottle, Guinness Extra Stout is wonderful

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

This blows the regular Guinness out of the water. This is a true irish dry stout. The original Guiness is water when compared with this. This beer actually has some true flavor. Would be glad to enjoy this one again.

4.56/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a very good beer. It's almost too dark for me (and I love dark beers), but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's very smooth - not aggressively dark like another one I tried recently (Black Panther from Cambodia). Great beer all around! I often say that Guinness is the epitome of stout beer.

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

Smells and tastes like a fresh spring morning in Ireland. Have had on tap many times but a pint of the black stuff in Ireland is another experience unto itself.

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark, almost black with a tan head. Smells like light roasted coffee and fruit. Tastes like chocolate covered raisins and mild coffee. Feels a bit creamy. Light-medium body with moderate carbonation. Overall a decent widely available stout.

4.68/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

alot of ratings seem to be based on limited, currenTrendy grounds...this is still a really awesome, balanced brew, a classic for sure...and SURE, the context does change as much 'better' things have arrived...it's a stout lover's paradise out there...but just because new forms of dark nectar have arrived (for quite some time now), doesn't mean this 'sucks'....

of course, on the other end of the spectrum (the non-craft snobs) are those that think this is a 'harsh' bitter brew (just as whiskey noobs 'think' Jack Daniels is 'harsh'...no, it isn't...it's only 80 proof).

in terms of BALANCE, this has it (just as Sierra Nevada's own stout)....everything is where it should be...nose, taste, etc. this is fine alone or with a nibble of dark chocolate or a shepherd's pie! the draught version is silk smooth and too drinkable/quaffable, but has less 'balance'...this has the slight bite and gravity'd smoothness needed to keep this a truly world class(ic)....

let's not bash this (or, sure, over-sentimentalize it)....i hope i haven't. drink up and cheers. this is some thin dark PBR folks...

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

Dark black, smokey malt taste, heavy mouth feel, distinctively Guinness. Good for when you're in a mood for something other than a lager, pilsner, IPA types of beer. I prefer the Draught, which is what is served in most bars on tap.

3.7/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark, garnet and deep, brown hued body; relatively thin, almost fizzy head (poured from a bottle). Deep cocoa notes; roasted and charred grains; very mild sourness. Flavors consist of bittersweet chocolate and cocoa; smooth bitterness at the finish. Smooth and heavy body; dry finish.

Guinness Extra Stout was my first introduction to tasty dark beers decades ago. I would go so far as to say this was my gateway beer into the possibilities of beer other than American adjunct lagers which were so prevalent back in the 70s and 80s. I seldom have it but still enjoy one every once in a while, especially if the craft and import selections are slim. It still delivers respectable stout qualities although I much prefer the heavier, richer, more complex Foreign Extra Stout. In any case, you still get a very tasty and approachable stout with this offering.

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a very black color into a typical pint glass with as much head as you choose. The head is a creamy color and has a ton of lacing. The initial taste is wonderful with a hints of raisins, coffee, toffee and caramel. Mellows out to a light coffee finish. I really enjoyed this brew and look forward to trying more styles from Guinness.

3.99/5  rDev +7.8%

A: Dark Black, opaque, thick 1 inch khaki head, really awesome lacing

S: Plum, raisin, sweet malt, chocolate

T: Little chocolate up front, with sweet malts, plum and raisin really come in on the end of the taste

M: Medium, a little lighter than I expected

O: A decent stout. Really interesting taste with the plum and raisin coming in so well. I had a bomber, added about 16oz to some chili, which turned out great, then had the rest to review. Made a great addition to the chili.

2.07/5  rDev -44.1%

From Carrefour. In Ikea's english pint glass. Watching Breaking Bad 4x12.More drinkable than the draught version: I could finish this one without too much disgust.

3.57/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Better than the nitro junk, that's for sure. Actually got pretty decent once it warmed up a ton, some dark chocolate malt notes mixing with a bit of roast and perhaps a touch of raisin-y dark fruit. Carb is a little prickly, but again that improved as it warmed. You could do worse.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.