2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: guinness33 on 11-12-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,871 | Reviews: 1,208 | Show All Ratings:
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours pitch black with a medium sized tan head. Quickly dissipates leaving lots of lace. Smells like Guinness! Nutty, roasted malt and a bit smoky. Lightly bitter.

Taste: Bitter and smoky. Burnt malt fades to a round nutty flavor. Quite bitter up front but fades and creamy flavors replace it a bit. Way down there in the flavor is a bit of fruitiness as well. Full bodied and lingers nicely on the back of the throat. Nice aftertaste.

I have tasted alot of good, strong stouts since my first bottled Guinness but I am still in the bag for this brew. The best widely available stout in the world.

10-05-2003 23:32:55 | More by ViveLaChouffe
flaminghomer

Indiana

this beer is pitch black, holding your glass up to the light will not display any colors you think you might be missing.

the head on this beer is exceptional. it is a dark tan and thick as hell. it sticks to the sides of the glass like none other.

it smells of roasted hops and fresh coffee beans.

when i first tasted this about two years ago, i remember the distinct coffee taste and mild chocolate taste. lets say that i did not immediately fall in love with this beer. i could drink about three at a time before i had my fill.

these days i simply can't get enough. after finishing a six-pack, i damn the gods at st. james gate for not making a seven-pack. this is a quality brew. while alot of people may be turned off by this beer the first few times they try it; if they are truly looking to enjoy the best beers in the world, then they will come around.

try eating a small piece of good chocolate the next you try this beer. they go together great.

10-01-2003 08:06:26 | More by flaminghomer
Rootdog316

When I took a sniff just after pouring, I was surprised by a fairly non-distinguished nose to the beer. Happily, the palate made up for that, and then some. My tongue was literally assaulted by a big, delicious roasty espresso barley shock wave, soon to be followed by an over-the-top chocolate character and slight sourness (intended to impart a quenching character) which blended wonderfully with a big roasted barley astringency and kiss of hops in the finish.

09-27-2003 07:07:26 | More by Rootdog316
Gusler

Arizona

3.2/5  rDev -13.5%

Ebony is the color on the pour, my idea of how all beer should look. The size of the head is medium frothy in texture and light chocolate in color as it erodes a fine covering of lace is formed to conceal the glass. Nose is roasted and toasted grain, malt sweet and crisp and clean, start is lightly sweet, full of malt, top is full to middling in its feel. Finish is crisply acidic, hops purposeful in their spiciness, dry lingering aftertaste, a decent quaffing beer, but give me one pulled from the cask in Ireland, and I'd be a "Happy and Satisfied" man.

09-23-2003 00:17:21 | More by Gusler
TripelJ

3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

Now quaffing: Guinness Extra Stout

This is one of those beers that I've been meaning to try for a while but have been holding back for some reason. I guess its kind of what I expected. Pours a deep, opaque dark brown with a moderate cascading head. Aroma is sweet... not much else. Taste is sweet malts with a cola like mouthfeel, a little light for a stout. The finish is somewhat bitter and flavors of espresso and chocolate linger on the palate. This beer was a little lacking in the roasted category which I look for and enjoy in stouts, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

09-20-2003 00:54:52 | More by TripelJ
SetarconeX

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

A drinkable beer, though I did want a bit more out of this. Somehow, all bottles of Guinness seem to fall short of that lovely cascading visual you get off the tap, but that's alright. Malty smell, but not anywhere near as toasted as I've come to expect from good stouts. Other reviews I've seen here are right on the money, it really does resemble a porter.

Even so, it's a rather tasty beer, with a slight hop finish. Completely drinkable. But a good stout should really be....well....more stout. Just a tad more oomph is needed here for a really great beer.

09-14-2003 06:02:24 | More by SetarconeX
ngandhi

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

The pour from this 22 oz. Canadian botle is brown/black with a dissipating tan head that leaves a light ring of lace down the glass. Yeah. It's brewed in Canada. For the rest of this review, Guinness Extra Stout will be referred to as Guinness Eh?.

The smell is basic roasted malt, medium. I detect porter.

By jove, it is a porter! The taste lacks any real character as far as stouts (and certainly as far as exta stouts) are concerned. A light espresso on the back of the tongue, burnt caramel, maybe a little chocolate if you think really hard, with a dry finish. Metallic. Completely uncomplicated. And is that Coca-Cola (tm) I detect in the background?

Thin, watery, and fizzy, there's little reason to ever seek this beer out. It's Guinness Draught without the widget and, lacking that kind of fulfilling body and presence, there's no point in drinking Eh? except that it's among the easiest stouts to throw down and might be great to cook with. Unfinished, unimpressive, and almost unacceptable. Your most basic stout recipe.

What the hell happened?

Relax, relax.
ng

08-27-2003 22:05:41 | More by ngandhi
soilguy

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Dark black color with a tan head. Roasted coffee aroma. Taste is strongly of roasted malts with a barely noticeable hop flavor. Mouthfeel is seems thin, probably because I, like most people, are used to the rich feel of the nitro-tap. This is a good dry stout, but there are many better examples available now.

08-21-2003 02:03:09 | More by soilguy
OldFrothingSlosh

3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

Appearance: A very dark black in color. Rocky tan-colored head makes a big first impression before dwindling to a repsectable finger-thick size.

Smell: Do my nostrils deceive me? Where is the smell? Something? Anything? Is that a bit of roasted malt I detect? Not much to speak of in the smell department. A hint of musty sweetness perhaps?

Taste: Slight roasted coffee flavor tries to shove aside the fizzy character of this beer. Finishes with a slightly sweet taste. Very crisp.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Not nearly as smooth as nitro-tapped Guinness and I guess that's why I don't care for this version as much.

Drinkability: Again, I kept finding myself comapring this to the tap version of Guinness. Not the same character, flavor, texture, or smoothness I've come to associate with "Guinness". Just a good, solid stout to enjoy.

08-10-2003 02:14:29 | More by OldFrothingSlosh
UncleJimbo

4.35/5  rDev +17.6%

12 oz brown bottle, capped, no date.

This stout poured opaque black with creamy, tan foam that presisted and clung to the glass. The smell was sweet dark malt, and some cocoa. The taste was sweetish dark malt, cocoa, coffee, and caramel. Some bitterness, but not much, really. Very nice. The mouthfeel was smooth and overall dry, though sweeter than other Guinness versions. The body was medium-full bodied with low carbonation feel. The drinkability was very nice. I discovered that this version of Guinness does not make as good a black and tan as the others (this version does not float as well).

08-03-2003 05:53:37 | More by UncleJimbo
beergeek279

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

Served in a 12 oz. bottle. The color was black, with a good tan head retention. The smell was the roasted coffee malt. The taste was relatively dry and malty.......much more flavorful and rich than the nitro Guinness. Mouthfeel was somewhat heavy Drinkability-wise, this is one I could (and have) have a couple of.

Extra Stout is a much better product than the nitro Draught Guiness. Although the contract brewing in Canada takes away a bit of the Guinness mystique, this is still a solid stout.

07-28-2003 01:53:44 | More by beergeek279
kevinl6

South Carolina

3.08/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is an old stand by for me when I don't want anything too expensive or don't want to reward myself with something better. A decent stout, and I'll try to explain. I don't really get any smell from this one. I've sniffed away and I don't really detect anything with the exception of a possible, very slight, "roasty" aroma. Pours black and has a slight, tan head....a nice overall appearance. The mouthfeel is the best part of this beer for me....I would equate it to a lowfat chocolate milk. (not thick enough for regular!) The drinkability is ok, the only thing that comes to mind when drinking this is that its a little weak. I can put down a couple of them though. The overall taste lacks a little as well. Again, I taste something a little "roasty", but there is not much flavor there. A decent stout.

07-28-2003 01:02:31 | More by kevinl6
granger10

Wisconsin

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

A straight to the point kind of stout. The flavors that are upfront are basically the flavors in the middle and the end. But they are good. A creamy mixture of milk chocolate and butterscotch hit my taste buds. There's also some roasted flavors. Not much else. Better than the draught.

07-20-2003 19:58:09 | More by granger10
WVbeergeek

3.7/5  rDev 0%

Oh I can still remember the first time I tried Guinness, and I can still remember the time when I couldn't believe that this dark black almost opaque creation was a beer. This is one beer that took some getting adjusted to for my taste buds, at that point in my road to beerdom sipping on new beers was common ground, and I found appreciation for them all, however the first time I tried Guinness I recall saying I was never going to try it again. Now I would like to point out a crucial fork in the road of my life that if the next time I came across this beer I would have to make the decision to give it another shot or pass it up for good. However, I chose the right road, and that same thinking has made my beer drinking much more exciting and meaningful to me and my friends and family. So, I thank Guinness for being something completely different for most American swill drinkers and thanks to my brother Dante' for nudging my interest in giving this beer another shot. Pours a deep dark practically black ruby brown tone with a massive milk chocolate tan fluffy mountainous head with great retention and very nice scattered evenly fine lacing. Aroma some hop bitterness meshed within mild chocolate tones, freshly ground coffe, and slightly harsh dark roasted barley to form a classic aroma of a dry Irish stout. A sharp upfront slightly acidic tone with some hops adding bitterness and finishing with creamy chocolate tones leaving a dry pleasant but at the same time a palate battering coffee note. Unlike anyother beer style in the world something can be this drinkable with a fuller mouthfeel and so many flavors that don't belong in beer, well I am glad I opened my horizons to beer because this is definitely a satisfying treat that I will always be able to come back to. Drinkability well this beer is quite filling however it is made to chill with a few in a session to truly experience I would live to visit Ireland someday namingly St. James Gate in Dublin.

07-19-2003 04:46:35 | More by WVbeergeek
TheDM

Indiana

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

This brew poured a medium creamy long lasting dark brown head of small to large sized bubbles. It had a malty coffee aroma and a pitch black as night stout body. It has a heavy coffee flavor just like the stouties expect and is very smooth with no bite.

07-15-2003 16:18:33 | More by TheDM
Beastdog75

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Guinness is one of the true classic beers in the world. Truly a world-renowned brew, this is a beer that has always had some mystique to it. For some beer drinkers, this is as close as they ever come to good beer which is a shame because this is such a great starting point for getting into beer. With that said, Guinness does have its faults, mainly stemming from the fact that North Americans don't get the pure, unadulterated, true Irish Guinness that the Emerald Isle is accustomed to and that ours is slightly "dumbed down." I chose this as my 100th review in spite of its faults because it is such a classic.

Guinness pours a deep, almost black color with some dark brown hints. The head is absolutely beautiful. A creamy, foamy tan head lies upon the liquid kind of like a lilly pad on a pond. A true work of art, and it laces quite well. Decent aroma, although lighter than expected, with basically some roasted grains and what I perceived to be some actual hop smell, which I wasn't expecting. While the mouthfeel was smooth and creamy with very little carbonation, it was a tad bit more watery than what I was anticipating. The burnt/roasted malt flavor brings to mind flavors of dark coffee, and I thought I detected a very slight cherry flavor in there. The roastiness lends quite a bitterness to this beer, almost to the point where it is astringent. The aftertaste is a continuation of the coffee flavors, and the bitterness kind of wears out its welcome here. I tasted it well after I was done drinking, went to sleep, and woke up with the taste in my mouth still. There is some slight alcoholic warmth to this, and it turns out to be a pretty filling beer (I had two and I was getting full).

The bitterness lowered the drinkability of an otherwise very good beer. I'm not saying that it is great, but it has garnered a respect over the years and many stouts are compared to this. It is my hope to try a real Dublin Guinness or a Foreign Extra Stout someday. I'll have to try this with oysters someday in order to sample that legendary pairing. Altogether, a well above average brew.

07-15-2003 11:51:13 | More by Beastdog75
RenoZymurgist

Nevada

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

A one inch thick head appeared after the nitrogen dissappeared. The blackness of this beer is astounding and quite admirable. Aroma is a bit sour with hints of coffee and chocolate. Smooth mild flavor is very nice and the maltiness is balanced with the hops perfectly. Mouthfeel is very heavy but nice concerning the style. An excellent stout that i would drink again as long as the bartender poured it right.

07-08-2003 20:23:43 | More by RenoZymurgist
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

This is my standard brew period, I have one a day, I drink it like a tonic (plus with a decent iron content and low calories it works out just fine). It's an acquired taste, but I'll take it over what they have on tap in N. America, or anything else they offer in a nitro can or bottle.

What I have available here up in Canada is only 5% abv. Poured from a brown 341ml bottle from the seemingly endless supply in my fridge (didn't occur to me to review it until now). It's nice and black, faint mahogany halo along the bottom of the glass. Decent tan head that fades to much lacing and a creamy ring. Nose is of rich roasted malts, a bit of coffee, a bit woody, and a hint of sourness (a la Guinness' special brewing process). Flavour is rather mild for such a robustly dark ale, roasted malt with a mild sour aftertaste. It possesses the best mouthfeel I've yet to come across, rich and velvety, it just rolls over the palate and tongue, and goes down incredibly smooth. On those cold, blustery, barbecue-less Canadian winter evenings I've been known to down many of these to get me by until the first signs of spring and grilled red meat appear once again. I take back more empty cases of Guinness Extra Stout to the bottle depot than everything else combined. I think that says something about drinkability.

07-08-2003 17:13:57 | More by IronDjinn
SheepNutz

Kentucky

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a deep black with 2 fingers of tan head that has good retention and lacing. The smell has roasted coffee and molasses to it, not too weak and not too strong. The taste is very malty, with coffee and even a bit of chocolate to it. There is only a faint hint of hops in the background. The mouthfeel is just a little bit thin and bubbly, not horrible though. The drinkability is pretty good. I'd take this over the draught any day!

07-01-2003 21:36:57 | More by SheepNutz
tar

Bahamas

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a thick black--very black, even when held up to light it does not turn into a very deep red. The persistent tan colored head is thick and rocky. This does not have quite the dramatic appearance of the Guiness Draught in the nitro can, but is still a very attractive black beer. The aromas and flavors are of roasted malt and coffee. Smooth and full bodied, this is a rather drinkable beer, despite being very filling.

06-25-2003 13:04:07 | More by tar
BillSempf

4.68/5  rDev +26.5%

Unquestionably my favorite beer. People should drink this instead of Bud - the world would be a better place. Did you know that it was lighter than Bud Light? Only 10 calories per oz. Bud Light has 12. Anyway - you all know what it looks like, how it tastes. Go tilt a pint for goodness sake!!

05-25-2003 09:09:18 | More by BillSempf
Pegasus

Appearance: Onyx black in color, with a dense tan head with the consistency of whipped cream, thick, glass-coating lace, and moderate carbonation. The head retains remarkably well.

Aroma: Rich aroma of dark malt and black bread, coffee and bitter chocolate.

Taste: Begins with rich and smooth flavors of dark malt, dark fruit, bitter chocolate and coffee, all riding on a wave of mild sweetness. Midway through the taste some hops vie with the now dominant coffee notes to bring the taste to a close. The finish is dry, with a lingering coffee and chocolate note.

Mouth feel: Rich, creamy and full.

Drinkability/notes: One of the worlds’ great beers. My fiancée is German, and by virtue of her heritage will not suffer bad beer, is quite enthused with Guinness. I think that we have found a new favorite beer to share. This particular bottle, a 22 oz bomber, was brewed in Canada. I hope to be able to try some from Dublin as well.

05-18-2003 08:45:21 | More by Pegasus
86MonteSS

Connecticut

3.38/5  rDev -8.6%

I'd drink this one over Guinness Draught if for no other reason than that it has TASTE.

That said, extra stout leaves something to be desired. This is entirely a matter of personal opinion, and I can see how others could love it, but it's as if they took the less-desirable traits of a stout and concentrated on them. In short, this beer is flat and sour. Where I come from, they call that "crap," but I won't be so negative. It has an interesting and fairly unique taste, but the jury's still out as to whether or not that taste works.

It's something you just have to taste if you're going to consider yourself a bona fide beer lover, but it's not something you have to buy twice.

05-16-2003 21:02:20 | More by 86MonteSS
WMBierguy

Maryland

2.48/5  rDev -33%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is not my usual type of beer, but I figured that I might try it and see what the hype is all about. The beer was almost black, a dark, unappetizing black. The head was an interesting tan. The taste and smell were fairly bitter, and not very pleasing. Some people claim that this is a "man's beer" or a tough guy beer or something I disagree. This had a low alcohol content, and didn't have much flavor. I prefer bocks and Hefe-Weizens. If anyone wants to try a "man's beer", then I'd suggest Aventinus. Its over 7% alcohol (Guiness is only around 5%), and is far more flavorful. Its a more "manly" beer, and its brewed by the Germans, the masters of beer.

05-07-2003 21:41:29 | More by WMBierguy
AudioGilz

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

It's opaque as can be; the head is large, chunky, and tan colored. It just so happens to be a nice lacer as well. The aroma is sweet malty, with a background of roasty chocolate. It's very sweet at first, strong maltiness, medium bodied with crisp carbonation. The finish is quite bitter, definitely a lot more bitter than Guinness Draught. This stuff is worlds better than Guinness draught as far as flavor. I can't see this extra stout as a session brew though. Nevertheless, it's one heluva stout. I wish the bitterness wouldn't be so assertive because it detracts from the creamy roasty character that I enjoy so much in a stout.

05-02-2003 17:43:00 | More by AudioGilz
Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.