Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,277 | Hads: 3,757
4.47/5  rDev +20.8%

Body is a solid pitchblack, with the tan head the only thing to suggest otherwise. Very controlled small-medium size bubble head, with some waxing over the top. Eventually settles to a 1-2 cm. lid, that rises and falls after each sip. Big lacing.

Smell has a strong vanilla bean component--sweet like a vanilla cream soda.

The taste is big and dry on the baking chocolate--liquid baking chocolate I was thinking. I enjoy baking chocolate, so this becomes a postive aspect..Dry to the point of smoky at the finale, like a campfire in my mouth. Lasting. A nice, subtle level of sweetness.

The right amount of carbonation I felt for this beer; more might of been too much, but less would not have helped either methinks. (726 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours a dark brown or black with a three finger dark tan creamy head. The head is well structured and long lasting, never totally disappearing. Leaves sticky rings of lacing.
Coffee, darkly roasted malt aroma with minor chocolate.
The taste would be pretty sweet, but it's balanced by being a bit sour. Very roasted malt, coffee, oak, earthy hop, and caramel.
Not so much bitter as it is sour and acidic.
Full bodied. (421 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance - a very dark beer with just the barest shade of brown or red at the edges. Moderate to light pour still yielded a 2 finger tan head that receded slowly and held at a solid covering. Impressive lacing.

Aroma - smoky, some earthiness/graininess with the requisite coffee and chocolate syrup overhead. Could have more to it, but good nonetheless.

Taste - starts with a brief toasty malt, and turns markedly hoppy, quite a surprise to the taste buds. Some winy sweetness follows and a whole bunch of burnt, charcoal taste. Finishes dry, chalky, almost like a rauchbier. Guinness on steroids! This would be a good one to have with a barbecue, but otherwise it is too intense for casual drinking, you gotta really be a fan.

Mouthfeel - full, but not as heavy as it tastes. Lingers pretty long, but the intensity again is too much, too long unless you dig that kind of thing.

Drinkability - in my opinion, the flavor punch is so powerful, one is plenty. Drinking several, I'm not so sure. (1,005 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -25.4%

I had this not long ago over st.pats, with a friend of mine. The dark color intrigued us, as it was not a normal American brew that can be seen through.

At first taste there was quite a lot of bitterness, but I attribute some of this to the fact that my palate is not fully developed as I have just turned 21 and am new to the wide world of beer. Though bitterness gave it a bit, it led into a nice roast/smoky flavor, with a good mouth feel.

Though not for the light hearted beer fan, I surely would like to try it again once I have some more brews under my belt. (567 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

Years ago, after I was 21 but before I even drank beer, I bought a 4pk to share with my dad on Father's Day. We popped open the bottles and took one sip -- ewww bitter beer face!

Fastforward 7 years and 99 BA Karma points later, and this beer is boldly flavored with malt and a mild roasted flavor. There is just a tiny bit of bitterness and a semi dry finish. It's medium bodied and pretty smooth. Goes great with BBQ ribs. Much more character than any of the nitro versions. (479 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: While it doesn't have the now-classic cascading foam of the nitro version, it's a good-looking brew. Nearly black with a warm mahogany undertone, a moderate pour produces a rocky, finger-thick tan head. A bit of lacing.

Smell: Oddly hoppy, with a bit of peat and smoked malt. Not too shabby, but not the most complex or assertive stout out there.

Taste: Starts with a hint of syrupy malt, which is quickly overwhelmed with a biting, bitter, smoky, hoppy bite. It's very... Guinness-y. The mouthfeel is pretty thin and, while I prefer the carbonated version, the carbonation is a bit sharper than it needs to be.

Drinkability: Pretty good. The light body and flavor make it the session brew of choice in every Irish pub on Earth, but the bitterness gets to me after a few.

Tasty and largely overlooked, I think more people should give the carbonated version a shot. It's no Shakespeare or anything, but it's a solid beer that most drinkers pass on for the (IMHO) gimmicky and inferior nitro version. Classic, no; competent, yes. (1,053 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a wonderful midnight black with a light tan head. Who doesn't enjoy the look of this one in a pint glass? Massive aroma of roasted malts. Flavor is malty and extremely well balanced. I love the viscous mouthfeel of this beer. Canada does a great job with this one and I love the fact that it's available virtually everywhere. As with most stouts, in my opinion, it's hard to drink more than a couple of these in a row. (424 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Very dark, almost opaque black. The tiny bit of light that gets through is dark ruby color. Rocky brown head. Good malty smell, but not a very strong aroma. Taste is roasted malt, coffee and carmel with a little dark chocolate. Not nearly as bitter as I was anticipating. Very nice mouthfeel; thick and creamy. Very smooth and drinkable. Not my favorite stout, but very nice. (375 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

Picked up a sixer from my local Bi-Lo in Cleveland, along with some Easter candy to keep the wife happy. Pours beautifully into a pint glass, an almost black brown. A malty-tannish head bubbles up quickly and smoothly 3 ½ fingers high. The head is fine and creamy. This brew remains practically impervious to light until a direct light source is viewed behind it where a deep, deep ruby brown color is revealed. The head recedes into peaks and crags and looks lovely to me. Lacing clings stoically to the glass in large continents of creamy foam. Can’t comment on the visible carbonation here because I can’t see it.

Smell is a desert of dry, roasty malts. An earthy, bitter hop sprinkling mingles along and tickles my nose. A subtle coffee trail is detected here and the presence of sweet baked goods is hinted at here too.

Taste begins with a slightly bitter edge to it. The middle then steam-rolls over it with malts. Bitter chocolate, general-toastiness, and a burnt-coffee flavor are apparent. The finish is bolder than the middle, smacking the back of my tongue with that DRY, bitter yet earthy hop combo. The finish on here is my favorite part and probably why I find this beer so likable. Mouthfeel is excellent in my opinion, hangs around long enough to get the job done, but evacuates your mouth when you really want it to. (I used to think this was thick and heavy). Carbonation is mild and stays out of my way. Alcohol taste only plays a swift note at the end and is quickly engulfed by burnt-bitterness.

I have to say, I will always have a soft-spot for Guinness Extra Stout. I “cut my beer teeth” on it so to speak. When previously, Heineken or maybe Samuel Adams were the height of tasteful beer. Although I’m more interested in more complex or extreme beers at this point, GES is always a nice friend to fall back on. (1,849 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +14.3%

Color is very dark brown with clarity of motor oil. Nice big rocky brownish-tan head which eventually dissolves, but leaves a good amount of brown lacing. smell is malt- sweet, fat and buttery- and taste is much the same. In my opinion, this has very little black malt bitterness or roastiness compared to other stouts I have had, although those features are present. The first adjectives to come to mind are: malty, buttery, fat. The mouthfeel is very smooth and incredibly soft. texture is medium...substantial, but definitely not thick. This is an exceptional beer - probably the best non-hoppy, non-bitter, (relatively) non-roasty beer i've had. (649 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Not to be confused with Draught Guinness, this 5-6% stout is twice the beer of draught Guinness, at least in ingredients.

Black with hints of mahogany when held to the light. Pours more like an ordinary beer, no nitro in this guy. There is plenty of body to support a decent tan head. Aroma is all dark fruit with lots of fig and some coffee.

Flavor is again fruit cake, coffee,and a hint of burnt toast, with a kick ass cleansing bitterness that cleans the mouth out.

Not for the faint of heart and not labelled well enough to differentiate it from Guinness with a widget. Have two or more of the widget beer, one of these is plenty. (643 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

22 oz bottle served at cellarish temps in a Guinness pint glass.

Appearance: Jet black liquid topped by a healthy dark tan head that's purty darn rocky. Recedes to a small, but decent, layer of foam after a few minutes. Slight wisps of lacing left on the glass.

Smell: Hearty smell of roasted malts. Slight amount of smoke, but nothing overpowering. Worthy of a perfunctory sniff, but nothing to shout about.

Taste: Chewy roasted malts with slightly smoky aftertastes. Mildly bitter. Pleasant undertone of caramel flavors. Nothing overwhelming here.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with some modestly lasting aftertastes.

Drinkability: Not bad, definitely a session beer. Maybe a little overboard on the roasted flavors, though. Definitely has more character than the nitrogenated draught version, but I kinda missed the cascade effect. But hey, when I'm jonesing fer a Guinness... there's bombers of this at the 7-11. (926 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +13%

whilst not as creamy as guinness draft, this is probably the better of the two brews. it pours a black as hell colour with a nice frothy tan head which is long lasting and nice and sticky. the smell is rather sweet with chocolate and malt being hinted at throughout. the taste is sweet up front then bitter chocolate and coffe flavouring. then it gets a bit roasty (but still sweet) and finishes nice and dry. this is quite simply a classic brew (though not as classic as it used to be now that it's contracted in canada...it's overall goodness is down a tad too, i might add), that's quite drinkable and always enjoyable. (622 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

Ahh, now this is what Guinness should be. Almost perfect. The barkeep let me watch him pour this pint. Beautiful artwork. The top of the glass is flowing with this white, fluffy head that slowly disipates towards the end of the drink. Beneath it, a dark, dark drink. Tar black, with next to no light shining through. Excellent smell. Big roasted malts, floral, citrus hops, dark chocolate, burnt coffee and dry toast. Big, powerful taste. The roastyness really kicks through. Their is a bit of lemon, which seems odd in a stout. Somewhat heavy, slick mouthfeel. Very drinkable, according to the bar tab. (603 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours black as night, nice big soapy tan head that lasts a good while. Smells quite sweet, not like the Draught. Slight caramel scent. Thick mouthfeel, light bitterness, nice sweetness. Very malty with slight chocolate notes. Goes down very smooth. Nice lacing the whole way down. Very enjoyable, definitely better than the draught bottle. (339 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Guinness Extra Stout was highly recommended by friends of mine. I recently came into stouts and porters and have loved them. So when I saw GES at the store I had to pick it up. I bought the 22 oz brown bottle with the famous Guinness logo. When poured it became a dark coffee looking beer with a mocha frosty head that stayed on very well. Then when I expected to smell greatness, I was dissapointed, the smell is of roasted malt and traces of coffee but a very subtle smell instead of the strong smell in other stouts. The taste is below average on a basis of stouts. The coffee and roasted malts are strong in the beginning but a very metallic taste comes on strong at the end and won't let go, horrible. Feels average in the mouth, very full and dense. I barely could finish my 22 oz. beer so I couldn't drink anymore, had to switch to Rogue Stout. Below Average for a stout. (878 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big and black, pouring out a two -finger foam head settling to a pleasant mocha sheen. Spare stain and drippy thick globs of lace. Doesn't keep well, though, despite vigorous pours.

Smells of Colombian press coffee,fruity malt drips but more nutty cracks, husky grains of roasted barley, and the tiniest English hop florals. Overall it needs more heft, as it fades a little too readily.

Right away is roasty with a bitter chocolate flavor comprised of a fruity cocoa bean twang, plus a hint snappy hops. Has strong Dry Irish Stout characteristics yet is a calm drinker. Chewy finish of dark and roast malts finishes the thicker moderate mouthfeel, both of which aid the drinkability.

Very nice, never had it until recently. I think it could become an easy standby. A heck of a lot better than Guinness Draught. (819 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

Guinness Extra Stout was the first style of Guinness that I ever had many years ago and for a long time didn't care for Guinness. Since then I took a liking to Guinness on tap and the Draught version in the nitro cans. When I had an opportunity to try the Extra bottle version again, I was interested in seeing how my palate had changed.

Creamy tan head sits a top a near black body with some dark brown highlights near the bottom of the glass. Aroma of roasted barley, coffee and a touch vinous, say, dark fruit (figs). Mouthfeel is medium-to-full bodied with some sharp carbonation. Full falvored roasted barley and burnt malt flavors, French roast coffee. Hop bitterness towards the back in conjunction with a rather dry finish.

Much more bolder in flavor than the Draught version. Overall, I think the creaminess of Guinness Draught appeals to me more, but this is still very good. (892 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance:
Attractive tan head on a black-brown pour, virtually opaque.

Aroma:
Malt! Whoever said there wasn't much smell needs sinus surgery. You can smell the roasted malt in this from across the room. The smell is rich and strong, but pretty plain and simple. Not very complicated.

Taste:
Bitter, roasted malt, with some sour undertones. Again, pretty straightforward. I was hoping for some dark chocolate, more cherries or berries, or some of the complexity exhibited by this beer's big brother, Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, but they just weren't there. Long, simply bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:
Pretty round, but not chewy. Nice carbonation, but it stays smooth.

Drinkability:
Best with something that compliments (or even cuts) the bitterness.

All in all, I was a bit disappointed. Guinness Foreign Extra Stout is so much better. Perhaps I should have tasted this next to an American pale pilsner. (927 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

For non-BA's, the words 'Guinness' and 'stout' are synonymous. To me, Guinness represents a very average brew.

It pours jet-black from the bottle and forms a nice creamy, off-white head. I didn't notice a lot of aroma. What little there was smelled of roasty coffee. I should note that I sampled this bottle at about 45 degrees F, so it may have been too cold to exhibit its intended flavor and smell.

The taste of Extra Stout is two-fold; roasty and bitter. Neither of these flavors are strong enough to be distinctive or offensive. They're merely present. There's also a bit of dryness in Extra Stout. This isn't bad, but for my money there are far better stouts available. (682 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The color was difficult to assess properly since I had this bottle in a dimly lit bar, but I'll say dark brown with medium brown highlights. The ecru colored head was large and persisted for a good bit. It was also sticky, impressively rocky and left three fat rings of lace down the sides of the pint glass.

There wasn't much going on in the nose. It was mostly roasted malt with some black coffee on the side. The flavor consisted of bitter black coffee and black tea; not much chocolate that I could detect. Coffee notes became even more bold in the second half of the pint.

The finish was pretty intensely dry and was coupled with an almost astringent bitterness. They aren't kidding when they call this an Irish dry stout. The mouthfeel was creamy and smooth and was full without being heavy.

Guinness Extra Stout and Bass Ale were my favorites in my pre-BA days. I haven't had this one in at least a year though, and a lot of good beer has crossed my palate in that time. It actually holds up pretty well. This is a quality stout that I'll continue to go back to again and again. (1,089 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

I always seem to pick up some Guinness or Beamish once every few months,pours a pitch black with a creamy off white head.The aroma is of roasted malt with some light fruitiness.Taste is cofee-like and highly roasted with a metallic aftertaste.Hey its a classic and readily availabe I go back to it alot. (303 characters)

3.7/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured black but when held up to the light, some light easily gets through.

Aroma is of roasted malt and slightly tart flavors.

The taste was quite sweet with candy sugar, but it was nicely balanced.

The mouthfeel is slightly creamy but a tad thin.

The drinkability is good because while this is not a really interesting stout it is quite quaffable. (362 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out to a very near black, dark brown, forming a medium-tan head which is foamy and poofy in size, with excellent lacing and very good retention with a vigorous pour. Carbonation is mild to medium. Aroma is lightly fruity and dry with pronounced roasted character, mild caramel and vanilla towards the end. Mouthfeel is smooth with a bright, roasted finish and medium-body. Taste begins with an initial herbal hoppiness, followed by suggestions of sweet chocolate, caramel, and coffee, a touch of metal, a dash of raisins, alcohol is notable in the middle, then there is a pronounced roasted astringent bite and an herbal bitterness lingering in the finish forever. The finish is a bit unbalanced with the bitterness. Compared to the nitro or tap versions, this one has more hop flavor and astringent roasted character in the finish, as well as the raisins in the middle. The alcohol is also more pronounced. The finish is dry and sharp which hurts it's drinkability as well. (980 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Looks very similar to Guinness Draught but doesn't have the same head. The head on Guinness Draught is thick and frothy and continues to build as it sits in your glass which helps contribute to it's beautiful lacing characteristics. Extra Stout doesn't have that staying power. I guess this would be light as far as Guinness goes.

Smells odd at first when you expect something more like Draught. Same earth roasted aromas as Draught but with a rich desert type of character. Noticeably different than Draught even though slightly similar.

Taste was also very different. Quite taken back by it. My first bottle i thought was pretty bad. After 2 you get the idea of what's going on here though. Tastes heavily of some sort of coffee, I'm not a coffee fan mind you so i can't elaborate further on this, with some nuttiness added as well. Very pleasing once you know what to expect.

Feels lighter in comparison to draught but still very substantial. I would still call it heavy. After taste lasts forever. An hour after my last one i could still taste the slight coffee flavor of it.

Like draught i could do it in moderation. Heavier moderation than draught though. As i mentioned it's very pleasing once you understand the nature of the beast.

Notes. Alright this stuff caught me off gaurd. Don't expect beer when you drink this. I couldn't help but think coffee and desert while drinking it. I was actually drinking these at 9am before classes because it reminds me of coffee so much. (1,499 characters)

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.