Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,271 | Hads: 3,735
3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

Served in a 12 oz. bottle. The color was black, with a good tan head retention. The smell was the roasted coffee malt. The taste was relatively dry and malty.......much more flavorful and rich than the nitro Guinness. Mouthfeel was somewhat heavy Drinkability-wise, this is one I could (and have) have a couple of.

Extra Stout is a much better product than the nitro Draught Guiness. Although the contract brewing in Canada takes away a bit of the Guinness mystique, this is still a solid stout. (498 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is an old stand by for me when I don't want anything too expensive or don't want to reward myself with something better. A decent stout, and I'll try to explain. I don't really get any smell from this one. I've sniffed away and I don't really detect anything with the exception of a possible, very slight, "roasty" aroma. Pours black and has a slight, tan head....a nice overall appearance. The mouthfeel is the best part of this beer for me....I would equate it to a lowfat chocolate milk. (not thick enough for regular!) The drinkability is ok, the only thing that comes to mind when drinking this is that its a little weak. I can put down a couple of them though. The overall taste lacks a little as well. Again, I taste something a little "roasty", but there is not much flavor there. A decent stout. (809 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

A straight to the point kind of stout. The flavors that are upfront are basically the flavors in the middle and the end. But they are good. A creamy mixture of milk chocolate and butterscotch hit my taste buds. There's also some roasted flavors. Not much else. Better than the draught. (285 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +0.3%

Oh I can still remember the first time I tried Guinness, and I can still remember the time when I couldn't believe that this dark black almost opaque creation was a beer. This is one beer that took some getting adjusted to for my taste buds, at that point in my road to beerdom sipping on new beers was common ground, and I found appreciation for them all, however the first time I tried Guinness I recall saying I was never going to try it again. Now I would like to point out a crucial fork in the road of my life that if the next time I came across this beer I would have to make the decision to give it another shot or pass it up for good. However, I chose the right road, and that same thinking has made my beer drinking much more exciting and meaningful to me and my friends and family. So, I thank Guinness for being something completely different for most American swill drinkers and thanks to my brother Dante' for nudging my interest in giving this beer another shot. Pours a deep dark practically black ruby brown tone with a massive milk chocolate tan fluffy mountainous head with great retention and very nice scattered evenly fine lacing. Aroma some hop bitterness meshed within mild chocolate tones, freshly ground coffe, and slightly harsh dark roasted barley to form a classic aroma of a dry Irish stout. A sharp upfront slightly acidic tone with some hops adding bitterness and finishing with creamy chocolate tones leaving a dry pleasant but at the same time a palate battering coffee note. Unlike anyother beer style in the world something can be this drinkable with a fuller mouthfeel and so many flavors that don't belong in beer, well I am glad I opened my horizons to beer because this is definitely a satisfying treat that I will always be able to come back to. Drinkability well this beer is quite filling however it is made to chill with a few in a session to truly experience I would live to visit Ireland someday namingly St. James Gate in Dublin. (1,976 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +5.9%

This brew poured a medium creamy long lasting dark brown head of small to large sized bubbles. It had a malty coffee aroma and a pitch black as night stout body. It has a heavy coffee flavor just like the stouties expect and is very smooth with no bite. (253 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Guinness is one of the true classic beers in the world. Truly a world-renowned brew, this is a beer that has always had some mystique to it. For some beer drinkers, this is as close as they ever come to good beer which is a shame because this is such a great starting point for getting into beer. With that said, Guinness does have its faults, mainly stemming from the fact that North Americans don't get the pure, unadulterated, true Irish Guinness that the Emerald Isle is accustomed to and that ours is slightly "dumbed down." I chose this as my 100th review in spite of its faults because it is such a classic.

Guinness pours a deep, almost black color with some dark brown hints. The head is absolutely beautiful. A creamy, foamy tan head lies upon the liquid kind of like a lilly pad on a pond. A true work of art, and it laces quite well. Decent aroma, although lighter than expected, with basically some roasted grains and what I perceived to be some actual hop smell, which I wasn't expecting. While the mouthfeel was smooth and creamy with very little carbonation, it was a tad bit more watery than what I was anticipating. The burnt/roasted malt flavor brings to mind flavors of dark coffee, and I thought I detected a very slight cherry flavor in there. The roastiness lends quite a bitterness to this beer, almost to the point where it is astringent. The aftertaste is a continuation of the coffee flavors, and the bitterness kind of wears out its welcome here. I tasted it well after I was done drinking, went to sleep, and woke up with the taste in my mouth still. There is some slight alcoholic warmth to this, and it turns out to be a pretty filling beer (I had two and I was getting full).

The bitterness lowered the drinkability of an otherwise very good beer. I'm not saying that it is great, but it has garnered a respect over the years and many stouts are compared to this. It is my hope to try a real Dublin Guinness or a Foreign Extra Stout someday. I'll have to try this with oysters someday in order to sample that legendary pairing. Altogether, a well above average brew. (2,104 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -7.8%

A one inch thick head appeared after the nitrogen dissappeared. The blackness of this beer is astounding and quite admirable. Aroma is a bit sour with hints of coffee and chocolate. Smooth mild flavor is very nice and the maltiness is balanced with the hops perfectly. Mouthfeel is very heavy but nice concerning the style. An excellent stout that i would drink again as long as the bartender poured it right. (409 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

This is my standard brew period, I have one a day, I drink it like a tonic (plus with a decent iron content and low calories it works out just fine). It's an acquired taste, but I'll take it over what they have on tap in N. America, or anything else they offer in a nitro can or bottle.

What I have available here up in Canada is only 5% abv. Poured from a brown 341ml bottle from the seemingly endless supply in my fridge (didn't occur to me to review it until now). It's nice and black, faint mahogany halo along the bottom of the glass. Decent tan head that fades to much lacing and a creamy ring. Nose is of rich roasted malts, a bit of coffee, a bit woody, and a hint of sourness (a la Guinness' special brewing process). Flavour is rather mild for such a robustly dark ale, roasted malt with a mild sour aftertaste. It possesses the best mouthfeel I've yet to come across, rich and velvety, it just rolls over the palate and tongue, and goes down incredibly smooth. On those cold, blustery, barbecue-less Canadian winter evenings I've been known to down many of these to get me by until the first signs of spring and grilled red meat appear once again. I take back more empty cases of Guinness Extra Stout to the bottle depot than everything else combined. I think that says something about drinkability. (1,313 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a deep black with 2 fingers of tan head that has good retention and lacing. The smell has roasted coffee and molasses to it, not too weak and not too strong. The taste is very malty, with coffee and even a bit of chocolate to it. There is only a faint hint of hops in the background. The mouthfeel is just a little bit thin and bubbly, not horrible though. The drinkability is pretty good. I'd take this over the draught any day! (484 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a thick black--very black, even when held up to light it does not turn into a very deep red. The persistent tan colored head is thick and rocky. This does not have quite the dramatic appearance of the Guiness Draught in the nitro can, but is still a very attractive black beer. The aromas and flavors are of roasted malt and coffee. Smooth and full bodied, this is a rather drinkable beer, despite being very filling. (423 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +26.5%

Unquestionably my favorite beer. People should drink this instead of Bud - the world would be a better place. Did you know that it was lighter than Bud Light? Only 10 calories per oz. Bud Light has 12. Anyway - you all know what it looks like, how it tastes. Go tilt a pint for goodness sake!! (293 characters)

Appearance: Onyx black in color, with a dense tan head with the consistency of whipped cream, thick, glass-coating lace, and moderate carbonation. The head retains remarkably well.

Aroma: Rich aroma of dark malt and black bread, coffee and bitter chocolate.

Taste: Begins with rich and smooth flavors of dark malt, dark fruit, bitter chocolate and coffee, all riding on a wave of mild sweetness. Midway through the taste some hops vie with the now dominant coffee notes to bring the taste to a close. The finish is dry, with a lingering coffee and chocolate note.

Mouth feel: Rich, creamy and full.

Drinkability/notes: One of the worlds’ great beers. My fiancée is German, and by virtue of her heritage will not suffer bad beer, is quite enthused with Guinness. I think that we have found a new favorite beer to share. This particular bottle, a 22 oz bomber, was brewed in Canada. I hope to be able to try some from Dublin as well. (945 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -8.6%

I'd drink this one over Guinness Draught if for no other reason than that it has TASTE.

That said, extra stout leaves something to be desired. This is entirely a matter of personal opinion, and I can see how others could love it, but it's as if they took the less-desirable traits of a stout and concentrated on them. In short, this beer is flat and sour. Where I come from, they call that "crap," but I won't be so negative. It has an interesting and fairly unique taste, but the jury's still out as to whether or not that taste works.

It's something you just have to taste if you're going to consider yourself a bona fide beer lover, but it's not something you have to buy twice. (687 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is not my usual type of beer, but I figured that I might try it and see what the hype is all about. The beer was almost black, a dark, unappetizing black. The head was an interesting tan. The taste and smell were fairly bitter, and not very pleasing. Some people claim that this is a "man's beer" or a tough guy beer or something I disagree. This had a low alcohol content, and didn't have much flavor. I prefer bocks and Hefe-Weizens. If anyone wants to try a "man's beer", then I'd suggest Aventinus. Its over 7% alcohol (Guiness is only around 5%), and is far more flavorful. Its a more "manly" beer, and its brewed by the Germans, the masters of beer. (660 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -1.6%

It's opaque as can be; the head is large, chunky, and tan colored. It just so happens to be a nice lacer as well. The aroma is sweet malty, with a background of roasty chocolate. It's very sweet at first, strong maltiness, medium bodied with crisp carbonation. The finish is quite bitter, definitely a lot more bitter than Guinness Draught. This stuff is worlds better than Guinness draught as far as flavor. I can't see this extra stout as a session brew though. Nevertheless, it's one heluva stout. I wish the bitterness wouldn't be so assertive because it detracts from the creamy roasty character that I enjoy so much in a stout. (633 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a near-black with a tan head. The head doesn't last long - if only this were a draft! The smeel is nice and rich, coffee and a hint of raisin. The taste is rich and roasted, a nice balance of hops and malt performing a trapeze act with the alcohol. The mouthfeel is dry and satisfying, rich and dark. Very tasty brew, but lacking that draft quality. (355 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I couldn't coax much of a head out of this bottle, but what was there was a nice color: Beige with darker streaks. Maybe my glass was a little dirty.

This beer is black, what light that does make it through, near the edges when tilted was a very dark brown.

There is a roasted smell here, also the smell of alcohol, also a little tartness? The bottle could have been mistreated. I am drinking this side by side with a can of drought and there is a kind of tartness, a kind of twangy sharpness in the smell and taste of the Extra Foreign.

The taste is very roasted. I can also detect the alcohol here. A kind of bitterness and sharpness ont he front sides of the tongue

I think i prefer the drought, i will try to get another bottle of this to compare to. (766 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

This beer poured a very dark brownish black color and formed an off white head with little lace. It had an aroma of malt, smoke and chocolate. The flavor was of malt and chocolate. The body was creamy and the finish was chocolate with some smoke present. Really this beer is best enjoyed on draft. (297 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +16.8%

A personal anecdote: long ago, when I first learned to love beer, Bass and Guinness were my bottles of choice. I had a show of my drawings, some cartoony, some darkly satirical, at a coffee shop near my apartment. My older brother was in town, saw the show, and gave me a surprise visit on a Sunday morning, with bottles all over the floor, from the night before. His judgement: "They're too bitter! Like this beer! LIFE isn't BITTER!"
Ah, ha, ha! Now, I'm not a complete cynic, more a realist in the face of truth, but this example proves a prevalent opinion that divides many beer drinkers on the subject of Guinness.
Another anecdote: at my bar, we sell a ton of Extra to our African and Carribean customers, and we used to also serve it on "draught". Once a ponytailed caucasian ordered a Guinness and the bartender asked, "Bottle or tap." After stating his preference, he turned to mate to remark, "What a stupid question!"
Color as black as pitch, big, creamy, rocky tan head. Aroma is filled with sweet and roasty flavor, hints of coffee and spice. More flavors come through on the palate, dark cherries, berries, chocolate. Some bitterness, huge and flavorful malt. Long lasting and tasty finish. Bold and substantial, this classic is best consumed cool, not cold.
Another devotee of "draught" once told me on the subject of stouts, "There's only one!", referring to Guinness. I'm glad that that's not true, but I never turn down Extra Stout.
Now, to get my hands on that African Foreign Extra that I've heard so many fables about! (1,545 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

Product of Canada

Beautiful opaque black beer with a dense tan head. Rich roasted coffee flavor with chocolate coming through. Nice carbonation, but it isn't overdone. Feels good all the way down to your stomach. The only thing that hampers this fine brew, as with most hearty dry stouts in my opinion, is the flavor seems to build up in your mouth over time. I can't drink more than 4 or 5 in a row. I need something every couple of bottles to shift gears like a crisp pilsner. (481 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -15.4%

First, I want to say that what I drank was from Canada. Despite the same packaging, it is not the same stuff from Ireland. I was disappointed. That being said, on to the review. Poured dark with a dark head. Considerable lacing. Taste is very malty, with any hoppiness not easily tasted. Finish is smooth. I am very sad that I can't get the original black stuff. You could almost chew it. (388 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Guinness Stout
Before the days of microbrews, foreign or domestic, Guinness was the only quality stout available. It remains quality, in fact stands up to any stout new or old. The tar pitch black revives fond memories. Full bodied and truly dry and smoky, yet highly drinkable. A light sweetness mingles well with the medium to high hop content. The beige frothy head lasts a good while then leaves behind a sturdy lace reminder. Alcohol is hardly noticeable, that is until later. (482 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've been to Toronto numerous times, and I don't recall seeing St. James Gate Dublin.

However, this restored my faith a little bit in the first better beer I ever had, after recently being let down by a widget bottle of "Draught" that tasted like fizzy water.

Poured very dark with hints of ruby edges, and a lacy, tan head.

Smell was a bit light, slightly sweet and roasty but not especially strong. Taste is classic stout without excelling in any respect. Starts a bit sweet, moves to roasted malts, and finishes with the trademark bitter-sour tingly guinness flavor I've experienced on tap and in the nitro cans (but which was sorely lacking in the widget bottle). Aftertaste lingers into the back of the tongue and throat; this didn't feel "dumbed down" in the least.

As this warmed a bit it got a little sassier, with more pronounced flavors. As long as this particular recipe isn't fiddled with, I'll still go back to my first love from time to time, it can hold its own against fancy micros. (1,011 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

It now amazes me to think that no more than a year and a half ago, this was the strongest beer I drank. At that time, it seemed so thick and strong tasting, and even the ABV seemed significant. Tonight is the first time I've had Guinness in quite a while, and I'm surprised how thin and light it actually is. Since I been drinking much stronger beers, Guinness hardly seems stout anymore. Compared to most stouts or doppelbocks, it is downright tame. It starts off nicely, pours a dark, almost black beer, with a nice foamy head. Smell is pretty good, also. Guinness still tastes good, but the body is so light I feel like I'm drinking a glass of cola. It is a little bitter and dry, but once again, compared to something like Shakespeare stout, quite tame. I'll drink Guinness if there are no better options, it is a pretty good beer. But this is a case where a one-time classic brew has been far outclassed by some of the newer examples of the style. (952 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date, product of Canada.

Appearance: Big chunks of tan foam stick to the glass, lace thins out a bit but the retention is great. The pitch black colour lets no light through.

Smell: Light roasted barley with hints of charcoal and coffee, light sweetness in the nose as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Medium crispness with a slick bitty mouth feel, burnt flavours seem a bit crass. Luckily a touch of sweetness pushes it aside for a brief moment. Hops are there with a processed bitterness and then more astrigent burnt grain comes in. Finishes dry.

Drinkability & Notes: This is not the Guinness Extra Stout I grew up with, being that it is not the real stuff from Canada in the US it does not surprise me but still it is disappointing. (783 characters)

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.