Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

Guinness Ltd. visit their website

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,289 | Hads: 3,829

This beer is a dak black opaque liquid with a lovely tan head of foam. Aromas are of burnt coffee, molasses, chocolate, alcohol, malts and hops. The taste is very roasty, full and rich. Mouthfeel is thick yet creamy, with a bit of an astringent twinge on the end. The drinkability is quite good as well. This is good stuff.

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

Had this one in a 12oz bottle. Love Guinness, should love Guinness Extra Stout. Poured the expected very dark color with an inch tall head that hung around. The aroma was mostly just roasted malts - slightly stronger aroma than my beloved Guinness draught. The taste is somewhat burned with some bitterness to back it up surrounded by a creaminess. This is a good beer, but it doesn't hold its ground when placed against Guinness draught.

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured dark with a one inch head, musty smell on first nosepass, deep roasted malt on second, carmelly mocha on third. Seemed to have a highly charged mouthfeel, first taste was a dry coffeish taste, surprisingly light. Before I started tasting other highly ranked stouts, I used to think this brew had the strongest roasted malt first taste in existence. Now it seems ordinary.

3.31/5  rDev -10.5%

Got this one in the 22 oz bottle , brewed in Canada.
Appearance, well the beer pours a deep deep black with a lovely tan head which dissapated to leave a ring around the glass.
The aroma was very malty..roasted malts..some espresso
Now the taste was a big let down for me..it was surprisingly weak and "thin" compared to how the beer looks..odd..bitter black coffee taste some hops at the end..but somehow metallic.
A little too much carbonation for my tatses..thin feel in the mouth for a stout..this is almost like a porter.
Its drinkable but thats all.
I was quite dissapointed with this stout, maybe its better if it is made i Dublin or even London. Wonder if they tried to "dumb it down" for the percieved American market?
I will stick with Obsidian or Sheath stout for now.
This was a re-review I wanted to make sure that i was correct about this beer being "just average"..unfortunatly i was first time round ..dissapointed..regular Guinness daught from Ireland/England is better.

3.81/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light brown color that quickly shifts to a dark brown. Tastes like coffee, with cream, whereas most other stouts i have tried taste like straight black coffee. A very creamy, smooth flavor and mouthfeel. Can't drink too much, though, fills you up. Still very tasty, although not the best tasting stout ever.

3.01/5  rDev -18.6%

Color is certainly dark. Smell is very faint -chocolate with hops. Taste leaves somethng to be desired. Roasted hops and barley. Hint of nut. Hint of chocolate. Not very interesting. Infinitely better than Guinness Draught, but to be avoided if a competent stout is available.

3.01/5  rDev -18.6%

I can tell that I've been spoiled. If I didn't know that this was a stout, I would have thought that it was a porter. The beer is definitely dark, but light comes through more than the edges and has a good reddish-brown color. The aroma is faint. The flavor has an interesting bit of wood ash to it and a surprising bit of hop bitterness, at least for a dry Irish stout. Still, it's fairly thin and not complex at all. It did mix well with Dogwood IPA and created a nice hoppy porter-like thing that was pretty damn tasty.

3.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours out black with a head that is tan in colour. Head leaves quickly with some lacing left behind. Love that malt smell - unmistakable. Serious tastes of bitter and burnt. A good taste. Creamy, too. Everything sat at the top of the throat before sliding down. Reminds one they just had a good drink. Aftertaste is my big thing and this has good aftertaste. I have not tasted a Guinness Extra Stout in a long time. My tates have changed. It was good, it was very good.

(By-the-by: my bottle said 5% abv.)

4.26/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours pitch black with a medium sized tan head. Quickly dissipates leaving lots of lace. Smells like Guinness! Nutty, roasted malt and a bit smoky. Lightly bitter.

Taste: Bitter and smoky. Burnt malt fades to a round nutty flavor. Quite bitter up front but fades and creamy flavors replace it a bit. Way down there in the flavor is a bit of fruitiness as well. Full bodied and lingers nicely on the back of the throat. Nice aftertaste.

I have tasted alot of good, strong stouts since my first bottled Guinness but I am still in the bag for this brew. The best widely available stout in the world.

4.01/5  rDev +8.4%

this beer is pitch black, holding your glass up to the light will not display any colors you think you might be missing.

the head on this beer is exceptional. it is a dark tan and thick as hell. it sticks to the sides of the glass like none other.

it smells of roasted hops and fresh coffee beans.

when i first tasted this about two years ago, i remember the distinct coffee taste and mild chocolate taste. lets say that i did not immediately fall in love with this beer. i could drink about three at a time before i had my fill.

these days i simply can't get enough. after finishing a six-pack, i damn the gods at st. james gate for not making a seven-pack. this is a quality brew. while alot of people may be turned off by this beer the first few times they try it; if they are truly looking to enjoy the best beers in the world, then they will come around.

try eating a small piece of good chocolate the next you try this beer. they go together great.

When I took a sniff just after pouring, I was surprised by a fairly non-distinguished nose to the beer. Happily, the palate made up for that, and then some. My tongue was literally assaulted by a big, delicious roasty espresso barley shock wave, soon to be followed by an over-the-top chocolate character and slight sourness (intended to impart a quenching character) which blended wonderfully with a big roasted barley astringency and kiss of hops in the finish.

3.22/5  rDev -13%

Ebony is the color on the pour, my idea of how all beer should look. The size of the head is medium frothy in texture and light chocolate in color as it erodes a fine covering of lace is formed to conceal the glass. Nose is roasted and toasted grain, malt sweet and crisp and clean, start is lightly sweet, full of malt, top is full to middling in its feel. Finish is crisply acidic, hops purposeful in their spiciness, dry lingering aftertaste, a decent quaffing beer, but give me one pulled from the cask in Ireland, and I'd be a "Happy and Satisfied" man.

3.26/5  rDev -11.9%

Now quaffing: Guinness Extra Stout

This is one of those beers that I've been meaning to try for a while but have been holding back for some reason. I guess its kind of what I expected. Pours a deep, opaque dark brown with a moderate cascading head. Aroma is sweet... not much else. Taste is sweet malts with a cola like mouthfeel, a little light for a stout. The finish is somewhat bitter and flavors of espresso and chocolate linger on the palate. This beer was a little lacking in the roasted category which I look for and enjoy in stouts, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

A drinkable beer, though I did want a bit more out of this. Somehow, all bottles of Guinness seem to fall short of that lovely cascading visual you get off the tap, but that's alright. Malty smell, but not anywhere near as toasted as I've come to expect from good stouts. Other reviews I've seen here are right on the money, it really does resemble a porter.

Even so, it's a rather tasty beer, with a slight hop finish. Completely drinkable. But a good stout should really be....well....more stout. Just a tad more oomph is needed here for a really great beer.

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

The pour from this 22 oz. Canadian botle is brown/black with a dissipating tan head that leaves a light ring of lace down the glass. Yeah. It's brewed in Canada. For the rest of this review, Guinness Extra Stout will be referred to as Guinness Eh?.

The smell is basic roasted malt, medium. I detect porter.

By jove, it is a porter! The taste lacks any real character as far as stouts (and certainly as far as exta stouts) are concerned. A light espresso on the back of the tongue, burnt caramel, maybe a little chocolate if you think really hard, with a dry finish. Metallic. Completely uncomplicated. And is that Coca-Cola (tm) I detect in the background?

Thin, watery, and fizzy, there's little reason to ever seek this beer out. It's Guinness Draught without the widget and, lacking that kind of fulfilling body and presence, there's no point in drinking Eh? except that it's among the easiest stouts to throw down and might be great to cook with. Unfinished, unimpressive, and almost unacceptable. Your most basic stout recipe.

What the hell happened?

Relax, relax.

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Dark black color with a tan head. Roasted coffee aroma. Taste is strongly of roasted malts with a barely noticeable hop flavor. Mouthfeel is seems thin, probably because I, like most people, are used to the rich feel of the nitro-tap. This is a good dry stout, but there are many better examples available now.

3.41/5  rDev -7.8%

Appearance: A very dark black in color. Rocky tan-colored head makes a big first impression before dwindling to a repsectable finger-thick size.

Smell: Do my nostrils deceive me? Where is the smell? Something? Anything? Is that a bit of roasted malt I detect? Not much to speak of in the smell department. A hint of musty sweetness perhaps?

Taste: Slight roasted coffee flavor tries to shove aside the fizzy character of this beer. Finishes with a slightly sweet taste. Very crisp.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Not nearly as smooth as nitro-tapped Guinness and I guess that's why I don't care for this version as much.

Drinkability: Again, I kept finding myself comapring this to the tap version of Guinness. Not the same character, flavor, texture, or smoothness I've come to associate with "Guinness". Just a good, solid stout to enjoy.

4.33/5  rDev +17%

12 oz brown bottle, capped, no date.

This stout poured opaque black with creamy, tan foam that presisted and clung to the glass. The smell was sweet dark malt, and some cocoa. The taste was sweetish dark malt, cocoa, coffee, and caramel. Some bitterness, but not much, really. Very nice. The mouthfeel was smooth and overall dry, though sweeter than other Guinness versions. The body was medium-full bodied with low carbonation feel. The drinkability was very nice. I discovered that this version of Guinness does not make as good a black and tan as the others (this version does not float as well).

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

Served in a 12 oz. bottle. The color was black, with a good tan head retention. The smell was the roasted coffee malt. The taste was relatively dry and malty.......much more flavorful and rich than the nitro Guinness. Mouthfeel was somewhat heavy Drinkability-wise, this is one I could (and have) have a couple of.

Extra Stout is a much better product than the nitro Draught Guiness. Although the contract brewing in Canada takes away a bit of the Guinness mystique, this is still a solid stout.

3.06/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is an old stand by for me when I don't want anything too expensive or don't want to reward myself with something better. A decent stout, and I'll try to explain. I don't really get any smell from this one. I've sniffed away and I don't really detect anything with the exception of a possible, very slight, "roasty" aroma. Pours black and has a slight, tan head....a nice overall appearance. The mouthfeel is the best part of this beer for me....I would equate it to a lowfat chocolate milk. (not thick enough for regular!) The drinkability is ok, the only thing that comes to mind when drinking this is that its a little weak. I can put down a couple of them though. The overall taste lacks a little as well. Again, I taste something a little "roasty", but there is not much flavor there. A decent stout.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

A straight to the point kind of stout. The flavors that are upfront are basically the flavors in the middle and the end. But they are good. A creamy mixture of milk chocolate and butterscotch hit my taste buds. There's also some roasted flavors. Not much else. Better than the draught.

3.71/5  rDev +0.3%

Oh I can still remember the first time I tried Guinness, and I can still remember the time when I couldn't believe that this dark black almost opaque creation was a beer. This is one beer that took some getting adjusted to for my taste buds, at that point in my road to beerdom sipping on new beers was common ground, and I found appreciation for them all, however the first time I tried Guinness I recall saying I was never going to try it again. Now I would like to point out a crucial fork in the road of my life that if the next time I came across this beer I would have to make the decision to give it another shot or pass it up for good. However, I chose the right road, and that same thinking has made my beer drinking much more exciting and meaningful to me and my friends and family. So, I thank Guinness for being something completely different for most American swill drinkers and thanks to my brother Dante' for nudging my interest in giving this beer another shot. Pours a deep dark practically black ruby brown tone with a massive milk chocolate tan fluffy mountainous head with great retention and very nice scattered evenly fine lacing. Aroma some hop bitterness meshed within mild chocolate tones, freshly ground coffe, and slightly harsh dark roasted barley to form a classic aroma of a dry Irish stout. A sharp upfront slightly acidic tone with some hops adding bitterness and finishing with creamy chocolate tones leaving a dry pleasant but at the same time a palate battering coffee note. Unlike anyother beer style in the world something can be this drinkable with a fuller mouthfeel and so many flavors that don't belong in beer, well I am glad I opened my horizons to beer because this is definitely a satisfying treat that I will always be able to come back to. Drinkability well this beer is quite filling however it is made to chill with a few in a session to truly experience I would live to visit Ireland someday namingly St. James Gate in Dublin.

3.92/5  rDev +5.9%

This brew poured a medium creamy long lasting dark brown head of small to large sized bubbles. It had a malty coffee aroma and a pitch black as night stout body. It has a heavy coffee flavor just like the stouties expect and is very smooth with no bite.

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Guinness is one of the true classic beers in the world. Truly a world-renowned brew, this is a beer that has always had some mystique to it. For some beer drinkers, this is as close as they ever come to good beer which is a shame because this is such a great starting point for getting into beer. With that said, Guinness does have its faults, mainly stemming from the fact that North Americans don't get the pure, unadulterated, true Irish Guinness that the Emerald Isle is accustomed to and that ours is slightly "dumbed down." I chose this as my 100th review in spite of its faults because it is such a classic.

Guinness pours a deep, almost black color with some dark brown hints. The head is absolutely beautiful. A creamy, foamy tan head lies upon the liquid kind of like a lilly pad on a pond. A true work of art, and it laces quite well. Decent aroma, although lighter than expected, with basically some roasted grains and what I perceived to be some actual hop smell, which I wasn't expecting. While the mouthfeel was smooth and creamy with very little carbonation, it was a tad bit more watery than what I was anticipating. The burnt/roasted malt flavor brings to mind flavors of dark coffee, and I thought I detected a very slight cherry flavor in there. The roastiness lends quite a bitterness to this beer, almost to the point where it is astringent. The aftertaste is a continuation of the coffee flavors, and the bitterness kind of wears out its welcome here. I tasted it well after I was done drinking, went to sleep, and woke up with the taste in my mouth still. There is some slight alcoholic warmth to this, and it turns out to be a pretty filling beer (I had two and I was getting full).

The bitterness lowered the drinkability of an otherwise very good beer. I'm not saying that it is great, but it has garnered a respect over the years and many stouts are compared to this. It is my hope to try a real Dublin Guinness or a Foreign Extra Stout someday. I'll have to try this with oysters someday in order to sample that legendary pairing. Altogether, a well above average brew.

3.41/5  rDev -7.8%

A one inch thick head appeared after the nitrogen dissappeared. The blackness of this beer is astounding and quite admirable. Aroma is a bit sour with hints of coffee and chocolate. Smooth mild flavor is very nice and the maltiness is balanced with the hops perfectly. Mouthfeel is very heavy but nice concerning the style. An excellent stout that i would drink again as long as the bartender poured it right.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.