Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,709 | Reviews: 1,314
2.3/5  rDev -38%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Guinness Extra Stout was highly recommended by friends of mine. I recently came into stouts and porters and have loved them. So when I saw GES at the store I had to pick it up. I bought the 22 oz brown bottle with the famous Guinness logo. When poured it became a dark coffee looking beer with a mocha frosty head that stayed on very well. Then when I expected to smell greatness, I was dissapointed, the smell is of roasted malt and traces of coffee but a very subtle smell instead of the strong smell in other stouts. The taste is below average on a basis of stouts. The coffee and roasted malts are strong in the beginning but a very metallic taste comes on strong at the end and won't let go, horrible. Feels average in the mouth, very full and dense. I barely could finish my 22 oz. beer so I couldn't drink anymore, had to switch to Rogue Stout. Below Average for a stout.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big and black, pouring out a two -finger foam head settling to a pleasant mocha sheen. Spare stain and drippy thick globs of lace. Doesn't keep well, though, despite vigorous pours.

Smells of Colombian press coffee,fruity malt drips but more nutty cracks, husky grains of roasted barley, and the tiniest English hop florals. Overall it needs more heft, as it fades a little too readily.

Right away is roasty with a bitter chocolate flavor comprised of a fruity cocoa bean twang, plus a hint snappy hops. Has strong Dry Irish Stout characteristics yet is a calm drinker. Chewy finish of dark and roast malts finishes the thicker moderate mouthfeel, both of which aid the drinkability.

Very nice, never had it until recently. I think it could become an easy standby. A heck of a lot better than Guinness Draught.

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

Guinness Extra Stout was the first style of Guinness that I ever had many years ago and for a long time didn't care for Guinness. Since then I took a liking to Guinness on tap and the Draught version in the nitro cans. When I had an opportunity to try the Extra bottle version again, I was interested in seeing how my palate had changed.

Creamy tan head sits a top a near black body with some dark brown highlights near the bottom of the glass. Aroma of roasted barley, coffee and a touch vinous, say, dark fruit (figs). Mouthfeel is medium-to-full bodied with some sharp carbonation. Full falvored roasted barley and burnt malt flavors, French roast coffee. Hop bitterness towards the back in conjunction with a rather dry finish.

Much more bolder in flavor than the Draught version. Overall, I think the creaminess of Guinness Draught appeals to me more, but this is still very good.

3.37/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance:
Attractive tan head on a black-brown pour, virtually opaque.

Aroma:
Malt! Whoever said there wasn't much smell needs sinus surgery. You can smell the roasted malt in this from across the room. The smell is rich and strong, but pretty plain and simple. Not very complicated.

Taste:
Bitter, roasted malt, with some sour undertones. Again, pretty straightforward. I was hoping for some dark chocolate, more cherries or berries, or some of the complexity exhibited by this beer's big brother, Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, but they just weren't there. Long, simply bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:
Pretty round, but not chewy. Nice carbonation, but it stays smooth.

Drinkability:
Best with something that compliments (or even cuts) the bitterness.

All in all, I was a bit disappointed. Guinness Foreign Extra Stout is so much better. Perhaps I should have tasted this next to an American pale pilsner.

2.88/5  rDev -22.4%

For non-BA's, the words 'Guinness' and 'stout' are synonymous. To me, Guinness represents a very average brew.

It pours jet-black from the bottle and forms a nice creamy, off-white head. I didn't notice a lot of aroma. What little there was smelled of roasty coffee. I should note that I sampled this bottle at about 45 degrees F, so it may have been too cold to exhibit its intended flavor and smell.

The taste of Extra Stout is two-fold; roasty and bitter. Neither of these flavors are strong enough to be distinctive or offensive. They're merely present. There's also a bit of dryness in Extra Stout. This isn't bad, but for my money there are far better stouts available.

3.76/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The color was difficult to assess properly since I had this bottle in a dimly lit bar, but I'll say dark brown with medium brown highlights. The ecru colored head was large and persisted for a good bit. It was also sticky, impressively rocky and left three fat rings of lace down the sides of the pint glass.

There wasn't much going on in the nose. It was mostly roasted malt with some black coffee on the side. The flavor consisted of bitter black coffee and black tea; not much chocolate that I could detect. Coffee notes became even more bold in the second half of the pint.

The finish was pretty intensely dry and was coupled with an almost astringent bitterness. They aren't kidding when they call this an Irish dry stout. The mouthfeel was creamy and smooth and was full without being heavy.

Guinness Extra Stout and Bass Ale were my favorites in my pre-BA days. I haven't had this one in at least a year though, and a lot of good beer has crossed my palate in that time. It actually holds up pretty well. This is a quality stout that I'll continue to go back to again and again.

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

I always seem to pick up some Guinness or Beamish once every few months,pours a pitch black with a creamy off white head.The aroma is of roasted malt with some light fruitiness.Taste is cofee-like and highly roasted with a metallic aftertaste.Hey its a classic and readily availabe I go back to it alot.

3.7/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured black but when held up to the light, some light easily gets through.

Aroma is of roasted malt and slightly tart flavors.

The taste was quite sweet with candy sugar, but it was nicely balanced.

The mouthfeel is slightly creamy but a tad thin.

The drinkability is good because while this is not a really interesting stout it is quite quaffable.

3.36/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out to a very near black, dark brown, forming a medium-tan head which is foamy and poofy in size, with excellent lacing and very good retention with a vigorous pour. Carbonation is mild to medium. Aroma is lightly fruity and dry with pronounced roasted character, mild caramel and vanilla towards the end. Mouthfeel is smooth with a bright, roasted finish and medium-body. Taste begins with an initial herbal hoppiness, followed by suggestions of sweet chocolate, caramel, and coffee, a touch of metal, a dash of raisins, alcohol is notable in the middle, then there is a pronounced roasted astringent bite and an herbal bitterness lingering in the finish forever. The finish is a bit unbalanced with the bitterness. Compared to the nitro or tap versions, this one has more hop flavor and astringent roasted character in the finish, as well as the raisins in the middle. The alcohol is also more pronounced. The finish is dry and sharp which hurts it's drinkability as well.

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

Looks very similar to Guinness Draught but doesn't have the same head. The head on Guinness Draught is thick and frothy and continues to build as it sits in your glass which helps contribute to it's beautiful lacing characteristics. Extra Stout doesn't have that staying power. I guess this would be light as far as Guinness goes.

Smells odd at first when you expect something more like Draught. Same earth roasted aromas as Draught but with a rich desert type of character. Noticeably different than Draught even though slightly similar.

Taste was also very different. Quite taken back by it. My first bottle i thought was pretty bad. After 2 you get the idea of what's going on here though. Tastes heavily of some sort of coffee, I'm not a coffee fan mind you so i can't elaborate further on this, with some nuttiness added as well. Very pleasing once you know what to expect.

Feels lighter in comparison to draught but still very substantial. I would still call it heavy. After taste lasts forever. An hour after my last one i could still taste the slight coffee flavor of it.

Like draught i could do it in moderation. Heavier moderation than draught though. As i mentioned it's very pleasing once you understand the nature of the beast.

Notes. Alright this stuff caught me off gaurd. Don't expect beer when you drink this. I couldn't help but think coffee and desert while drinking it. I was actually drinking these at 9am before classes because it reminds me of coffee so much.

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

The nitro bottle pours a fine sustained head. Black as night this brew hits your nose with a nice roasted malt. Taste starts with that malt and ends with a somewhat bitter finish. It holds well in the mouth with a fair heaviness. The bitter finish is not a good bitter in my book which lowers it just below the good range. I will definitely drink it if offered but will not go out of my way to buy it.

3.41/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a dark black with a cushiony light tan head. Not bad. Smell is modest roasted malt with a hint of soapy chocolate. Pretty mild. Taste is better than the smell. Starts with a sweet roasty malt body, with hints of chocolate, but then the big roasted, metallic, coffee bitterness kicks in. Finish is dry and roasty bitter. Feels a tad creamy, and goes down easy enough.

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

A lovely almost black colour with a nice tan head. It has a little burnt smell. Also a little roasted smell and a hint of chocolate. The taste is bitter and a bit smokey. There is a hint of the chocolate in the taste aswell. It has a long after taste. I think this beer should be nice with a piece of chocolate.

3.49/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours nearly black, rocky and frothy head with much lacing.

Smell is toasted malt, but not all that seductive, disappointing. Hints of coffee bean also.

Tastes is bitter, but not overpowering. Heavy malts there also. Slight chocolate and strong coffee flavor. Some berry at first, but fleeting. Pretty darn good as a matter of fact.

Medium/full bodied, smooth and sticks with you a bit.

Nice brew after a nice meal. Not a great stout, but a fine stout, a stout with a history, stamina. I like this Guinness. I like it just fine.

3.26/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours black into the glass with a finger sized amount of head, carbonation clings to the glass if you tip it, but the stout itself does not. It has a very grainy scent, but nothing remarkable.

In the mouth a medium bitter slightly coffee tinged tang hits you, as well as the carbonation. Unlike most stouts it feels very light in the mouth, watery in comparison to the micros I'm used to drinking.

Quite a solid score in the drinkability category for a stout though, the light mouthfeel and easy drinking nature makes this one of the few stouts I'd consider a 'session' beer.

Overall nothing spectacular though, Guinness has a reputation mainly because people aren't aware of the vast world of other stouts that exist. Not to say that the beer is bad by any stretch, but it's far from the best as well.

3.74/5  rDev +0.8%

bomber. pours thick and pitch black, no light can penetrate this. has a nice sized brown head that fades to medium ring that leaves an awesome lace. smells of dark roasted malt, slight hop profile, smells a tad spoiled. in the mouth it is a bit tangy, mouth watering. a little sour. roasted coffee and dark malt are the show here with a light hop bite. finishes puckering. smooth and full, a nice carbonation dances on the toungue. easily drinkable and a overall good stout that dosnt do anything amazing, but does everything well. cheers.

paid $2.49 for a bomber.

2.99/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured a near black with a nice tan head of a couple inches.

The smell was yeasty and grainy and a little bitter.

The taste was strong malt with a solid bit of coffee like taste and very bitter with a bit of an astringent aftertaste.

The mouthfeel was solid with little noticeable carbonation.

I'd drink it again in the right circumstances but with the strong flaver and bitterness it's not right for all the time. Not as good as I remember.

2.96/5  rDev -20.2%

A black color, pours with a thick creamy brown head that is quite persistent, the head gets quite rocky over time as well. There is a slightly roasted aroma with a bit of sweet grain character. It has a lightly bitter astringent finish. Fairly thin in its consistency. Some roast character is here and it has a bit of a sour twang to it in the finish. Overall this beer is quite disappointing, and much worse than I remember. It is missing the character that I was expecting it to have. Not too bad, but certainly not great either.

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

I'll start this review off by saying that this stuff is way better than regular Guinness imo. Poured a dark brew with a tan head, smaller head then regular Guinness. Tasted slightly drier. More of a nutty taste. The 6% abv is nice. I enjoy buying the large bottles of this for about $2.25 instead of a whole six pack, because I usually don't want more than a couple. Not a very drinkable beer imo.

2.96/5  rDev -20.2%

Well, it looks like a Guinness...but that's about it. If you want to really judge this beer, don't even take it by its name. Most people will buy it simply because it's got the name, and think it will be similar to the Guinness Draught, and that's where they go wrong.

At the pour, it's dark and smooth with a bit of amber on the side. Not very impressive at first, but a good pour overall. The head on this one is pretty light and doesn't last. Nothing, absolutely nothing sticks to the glass, very dissapointed.

Putting my nose to this, and I get a huge waft of maltiness. Examining a bit further and I came up with some berry/fruity smells. A bit strange, but I'll wait until I taste it.

First sip...red wine? Seriously, the fruitiness of this comes out very strong. It's a sweet hit on your tounge that doesn't stay around for too long before the bitterness hits. The hops really come out stongl just after you take a swig. Kinda sour, but with the strong fruit tastes and the hops, I'd expect that.

This brew it quite bitter and it contrast between sweet way too much. It's really bold and the carbonation is a bit strong for this style of beer.

I really could only handly 1 of these 1pt.6's at a time. Share it with a friend and let it settle. If you think this is going to taste anything like Guinness Draught you will be thoroughly dissapointed. Take it as it is, a beer, and judges it only by its characteristics. I didn't completly enjoy this beer, mainly because of its sweet/bitter contrast that didn't work well for me. Try it if you must, but there are many more fish in this sea that will make you much happier.

3.16/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Another Guinness review, from notes.

Guinness Extra Stout pours a beautiful blacker-than-black with a head that is dark brown in appearance. This large head quickly shrinks into a slight burlap covering on the beer.

The smell is definetely not too appealing, an ashen blend of belgian chocolate and coca-cola. The first taste smacks you in the fact with strongly roasted malt and sickeningly sweet hues. There is a taste in this beer that I just do not like at all buried under the layers that I do appreciate. After 3, still can't put my finger on it.

I will always wonder where in the hell the bitterness in this beer is coming from. There is no noticable hop presence, and in fact this bitterness is much more of a sour-note. A decent aftertaste, albeit too strong and overwhelming.

This beer is a punisher. I love heavy, rich stouts but this beer is just too one-dimensional. I just need more from a stout. And they aren't lying when they said it is "extra" stout. Grrr. I miss the foreign extra-stouts I was getting from a shady off-license in London.

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

It poured a deep opaque black with a light and bubbly tan head that shrunk into a lumpy cream with clingy lace.

I found it roasty and sweet on the nose, with molasses and malt aromas.

Up front I find sweet fruitiness -- sweet red bell pepper especially. Yes, that's correct: bell pepper. A nutty crispness fills in the middle, The finish is both tart and staunchly bitter, with black coffee and burnt acrid grain. A residual charred sweetness lingers.

In the mouth it feels clean and smooth, with a tannic dryness in the cheeks at the end.

It's not my favourite stout. The harshness is a bit too abrupt. Still, I have to give some credit to Guinness for not wussifying this stout like so many other breweries have. Whatever it may be, it's not "stout lite".

A rich color coupled with a rich, coffee-like taste and a well rounded mouthfeel made this an enjoyable drinking experience. Left a bit of dry bitterness on the back of the palate that was very nice. Nice drinkability, well-rounded, tasteful and satisfying.

This beer is a dak black opaque liquid with a lovely tan head of foam. Aromas are of burnt coffee, molasses, chocolate, alcohol, malts and hops. The taste is very roasty, full and rich. Mouthfeel is thick yet creamy, with a bit of an astringent twinge on the end. The drinkability is quite good as well. This is good stuff.

3.35/5  rDev -9.7%

Had this one in a 12oz bottle. Love Guinness, should love Guinness Extra Stout. Poured the expected very dark color with an inch tall head that hung around. The aroma was mostly just roasted malts - slightly stronger aroma than my beloved Guinness draught. The taste is somewhat burned with some bitterness to back it up surrounded by a creaminess. This is a good beer, but it doesn't hold its ground when placed against Guinness draught.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.