Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
Josievan

Iowa

3.7/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: A craggy, mountainous tan head forms and lingers. The beer does not so much leave lacing as it does lumpy tumors on the side of the glass. Nearly black in color, with just a sliver of light coming through at the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Not a big aroma, mostly roasted grain.

Taste: Bigtime burnt malt flavor, with a tad hint of sweetness. Laid back hops make the finish slightly bitter. Alcohol is completely masked. Very dry finish leaves little aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Not much carbonation, pretty smooth, medium-bodied.

Drinkability: Goes down easily, although ABV is not quite low enough to be session-worthy.

Notes: Dry stouts aren't really my thing. I much prefer the wetter, sweeter stouts. However, for an Irish dry stout, this is pretty good, certainly superior to the ubiquitous Guinness Draught. I don't know that I'd ever purchase this from a store, but if I was at a bar and felt like a stout and this and Guinness Draught were the only ones available, I'd be satisfied drinking this.

01-25-2010 23:55:06 | More by Josievan
CBlack85

South Carolina

3.55/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

Pours a deep chocolate brown, nearly black, with some ruby highlights. When poured aggressively a large tan head appears and sticks around for several minutes, a slight bit of spotty lacing follows.

Smells of roasted, nearly burnt, malts. Subtle earthy, grainy scents are noticable. Not as big and pleasing to the nose as I would have hoped.

Like the smell the burnt malts are at the forefront, maybe a little to much burnt bitterness for my taste. There does seem to be a slightly sweet, redeeming quality. I also get a slight hop presence, not too much, but more than I would expect for the style.

Light to medium bodied, a little thinner than I like in a stout, but not bad. finishes very dry.

01-24-2010 16:30:03 | More by CBlack85
squirrelJS667

4.68/5  rDev +26.5%

I have been a Guinness Draught and Jameson drinker as far back as I can remember and up until I tried Guinness Extra Stout it was my beer of choice. I have read reviews that say the extra stout doesn't leave the same large creamy head that draught gives you and after trying this beer for the first time tonight pouring it in the same traditional slow pour method that i treat draught with (119.2 seconds starting with a quick pour of the first 3/4 of the beer then letting it settle and the head form before pouring the rest of the beer,patience is key most people don't want to take 2 mins to pour a beer) and the resulting head was identical 2.5 finger creamy head. The basic tastes between draught and extra stout are the same, creamy head and robust, full bodied stout taste with undertones of hazelnut and coffee, but extra stout differs in that it is not quite as smooth. What it loses in smoothness it gains in taste. Extra Stout has undertones of chocolate and is a bit dryer in taste than its draught brother and is a bit stronger in abv, but abv is an after thought to taste in my opinion, and the bit of extra sense of carbonation differentiates this beer from guinness draught and adds to the complexity of the beer.

01-23-2010 06:32:19 | More by squirrelJS667
drpimento

Wisconsin

2.98/5  rDev -19.5%

Interesting, but not so much on the good side. Poured with a lovely thick, foamy, frothy, creamy, light tan head that lasts and a lot of lace. Color was pitch black of course. Aroma was ok of roastiness & malt. Flavor's where the ball gets dropped: A bit fruity!!! Yoiks. Bit thin, carbonations ok. Dryness comes on towards the end. Ok chocolate fin. Had much better versions of the black stuff

01-15-2010 20:55:56 | More by drpimento
OneDropSoup

Bottle to shaker pint.

Pours a black but pretty translucent body with deep ruby highlights, a finger of fluffy beige head. Spotty lacing.

Starts with a faint dry roast smell, a little musty, slight sour milk. As it warms, some mild chocolate notes emerge. Not bad, but on the weak side.

Taste is a sharp, roasty bitterness at first, some dark chocolate & caramel, a tiny bit of citrus/grape. Finishes with a bite & leaves an aftertaste of caramel/root beer & coffee grounds.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly active, carbonation a little on the sharp side.

I feel like a caveat should be added to this -- having only had Guinness Draught (& plenty of it), comparison is inevitable. Though Guinness has a place in my heart, I've moved beyond holding it in the high esteem I used to, & was expecting less from this. I was really pleasantly surprised, as it retains a little of the Draught character but with some really unexpected highlights. A very good, close-to-sessionable drinker that's flavorful without being overpowering.

01-15-2010 15:48:28 | More by OneDropSoup
MeisterBurger

Ontario (Canada)

2.95/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours a light defying black with a creamy, light tan head. Not much going on in the head retention or lacing department.

The aroma is faintly of chocolate and caramel, with hints of dough and bread.

The taste is like charcoal, slightly sour, with lots of cold bitter black coffee going on that lingers a little longer than I'd like it to. There's a little sweetness underneath but it's completley quashed by the burnt flavors and bitterness. Finishes dry with an unusual floury dough lingering in the aftertaste.

Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

Hardly the most pleasant drinking experience of my life, but all right for what it is I suppose.

01-13-2010 00:56:47 | More by MeisterBurger
MOB210SA

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured an good looking 1 finger tan mocha colored head. Some good lacing and clinginess to the glass, the beer its self looks decent. Almost black in color, but not completely impenetrable.

Dark roasted malts, chocolatey , coffee and a sweet molasses

Bitter cocoa, mildly sweet chocolate with a slightly bitter.

Smooth almost flat mouthfeel that is definately dry.

01-12-2010 04:59:52 | More by MOB210SA
Cubsfan1087

Iowa

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%

Guinness Extra Stout was a good beer. It has a very delicious looking dark color with a thick foamy head. There is a lot of flavor with this stout as well. It does carry a bit of a bitter after taste, but all in all it is a beer that I will drink again. I would recommend trying the Extra Stout.

01-11-2010 07:16:03 | More by Cubsfan1087
amtriska

4.18/5  rDev +13%

Poured a dark, deep brown that smells warm, musky, and inviting. Wood and charcoal tastes mixed in with a nutty almost-sweetness and a clearly-defined hoppiness. Might turn off Guiness Draught drinkers for its carbonation and stronger flavor -- you won't be able to knock a sixer down quite like you would the Draught -- but its "big" taste and complex flavors should satisfy any lover of strong, dark beers.

01-07-2010 08:22:32 | More by amtriska
CHADMC3

Connecticut

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

A massive deep tan head cascades through the jet black body to finally come to rest atop the beer with huge pillow like character leaving thick, sticky lacing in its path.

Big coffee-like roasted barley and malt aroma are predominant, but there is also a faint yeast or bread-like quality as well.

The roasted malt flavor is equally apparent in the taste, however, what finally comes forward is the hop bitterness that lingers on the palate.

This has quite a mouthfeel in that its creamy, yet drying, but thin with moderate carbonation all at the same time. It almost sounds like a contradiction of itself.

I quite enjoyed this beer versus the traditional draft and found it to be quite easy to drink and containing nice character and very well guided versus the dry stout guidelines.

01-07-2010 02:13:20 | More by CHADMC3
nickd717

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottle. It wasn't terrible, but definitely didn't do it for me.

Pours black with a small beige head, nowhere near as impressive as a nitro pour of Guinness Draught.

Aroma is roast, coffee, and chocolate. Nothing special really.

Flavor is burnt/roasted malt, weak coffee, a little chocolate, and a strange, sour, almost vinegary note to it. What is this supposed to be, some kind of wild ale? Outside of that though, the flavor is decent.

Medium body with some acidity on the palate and average carbonation.

Drinkability is a little above average. Overall, I consider this about average for the style.

01-04-2010 17:51:17 | More by nickd717
blackie

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

a: full, creamy mocha head over a black beer, retention and lace are both quality

s: subtle, dry roasted barley on a structure of spicy pilsner malts with a touch of caramel, delicate cocoa in the background, papery hops

m: carbonation on the lighter end but a little rough, body seems on the thin side but to-style

t: clean, dry roast wrapped around what seems to be a light, almost pilsner-like body, euro-hops bring a papery, lightly metallic flavor and a full, balanced bitterness in the finish

d: just fine, a nice clean Irish stout

bottle courtesy of my granny

12-30-2009 04:22:21 | More by blackie
Kylito87

4.38/5  rDev +18.4%

I am a lover of pretty much anything Guinness. For the longest time I have been wanting to try this stuff and I could never find it back home in the sticks. Now I live in Chicago again and being I was actually looking now I started seeing it at several places.When my girlfriend arrived home on my Birthday there was a sixer in a bag for me.

Appearance- Gorgeous black with a light brown craggy two and a half finger head. To me there is not much else that compares to the look of a properly poured guinness. The head kind of deflates after a little bit into a foamy thick that kind of reminds me of river foam. Beautiful lacing along the way

Aroma- That smell I know and love. That smokey, chocolatety, coffee, hoppy goodness

Taste- Tastes like guinness to me. It is very hoppy and coffee like in it's essence. Very smooth and sweet. I love the bitterness. My gf took a sip and I thought she was going to wretch LOL. This beer isn't for everybody.

Mouthfeel/drinkability- Very subtle carbonation. It is perfect for this beer. It is not as creamy as the draught but it really isn't meant to be. Very filling but it isn't as heavy as you would expect. It is sort of thin but it will fill you up after three no problem at all. I could probably drink a sixer but it would take me all night because I like to savor each Guinness like it is my last. I never chug my beer anyway. This stuff is super filling so it is not a good bet for a session beer.

Overall- This is one of my all time favorite beers now and I can't wait to get some more. This beer isn't for everyone but if you are a stout lover than you owe it to yourself to try this oone. I want to try the foriegn version but I don't think I will be able to anytime soon. But until then I will continue to drink this.

12-27-2009 18:38:12 | More by Kylito87
alfistheman

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

I was about to leave this beer a hardcore F or D, but noticed it was an Irish Dry Stout. After reading the description I understood this is not an American Stout... it is described as a thiner, bit more bitter, and sometimes highly hopped stout.
Considering this... I have only had Guinness Extra Cold Draught in the Irish Stout Cat so I really can't diss on this beer as I almost did...
It pours a dark black, on the thin-medium body side, with tall thin mud color head that slowly settles. It leaves a nice set of laces at the begginning, but fades quickly as the glass goes down. A nice thin layer of head develops as it drops, bread and chunky like on top.
The taste is kind of thin, bitter, with very litte chocolate notes and an odd bitter roasted malt, almost too thin. What saves it for me is the hops, nice English Style, sweet, floral, with that woody aftertaste. At first I hated this, until I read DryStouts can have a moderate does of hops.
As for drinkability its rather thin, but has that slick oil taste from the hops, NOT the malt, which I do truely love. If you are a big malt guy and like Rasputan or Old Chub style... this isn't for you. If you like English hops, bitter thin malt, and a bit of breadiness and grain mixed in there... Try this beer out. Persoanly I wish I had the Old Rasp instead... Just my 2cents!

12-25-2009 00:36:11 | More by alfistheman
beer256

2.05/5  rDev -44.6%

i wasnt impressed with this beer at all.i think i had to high expectations because i never tried guinness before and this was the only one they had. i brought a cold six pack and just tried it and i think it wasnt at serving temps.the after taste was awful,the only way i could finish the six pack was to drink it ice cold.

12-23-2009 04:57:27 | More by beer256
crnipeter

Slovenia

1.1/5  rDev -70.3%

Immediately after opening the bottle a short lasting mild hoppy aroma enters the nostrils and vanishes moments later. 330 ml, BBE 31/07/2010, into tulip.

The pour produces spectacular tan head atop ink-black liquid. The head becomes dimply as it retreats until clumps of foam resembling detergent floating on heavily polluted river are the only remnants of once seducing head.
Acidic aroma with traces of charcoal and without hoppiness this time.
Minimalistic acid charcoal flavor.
Let me emphasize that I'm aware of how good stout of this type should taste/smell like. The flavor profile should abound in sharpness of roasted grains or malts giving birth to coffee bean bitterness with optional sensation of bitter-sweet chocolate or cocoa. Unfortunately I cannot detect anything apart from basic sharpness expressed as acidic bitterness of charred cereal compounds. I have to bridle my tongue so I'll limit myself to saying only that charred organic matter subjected to alcoholic fermentation does not equal art of brewing.

Mouthfeel is oily and palate irritating with carbon dioxide trapped inside. I strongly dislike this brew and giving it 3 points for appearance makes me feel generous.

12-20-2009 16:44:37 | More by crnipeter
BevMoAndrew

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%

Served into a Bruery tulip glass at about 40 degrees.

Pours an extremely dark mahogany in the glass with a light tan froth, good retention, & slightly above average lacing. (It looks like a dark brown to black, but when held up to the light, there is a clear ruby tint that floods through.) The nose is more complex than I would have expected, but still straight forward with chocoalte, coffee, smoked peat, & dark fruit that follow through with a roasted barley/bonfire flavor on the palate. Overall, a solid beer and one that i'll recommend.

12-17-2009 00:55:19 | More by BevMoAndrew
Gremner

Washington

A- This was a pretty stout! Deep brown/black with reddish hues around the outside when held to the light. Good head with decent lacing.

S- Smelled of bitter chocolate, coffee and malt.

T- Malts dominate with coffee and chocolate presence. Just hoppy enough to compete with the malty sweetness. Left a nice bitter coffee hang.

M- Heavy medium bodied with light carbonation.

D- All in all I really enjoyed this sixer. A shade over priced in my opinion. I prefer Deschutes Obsidian Stout, which is a buck or two cheaper for a six pack. Guinness still provides an excellent stout.

12-16-2009 21:48:11 | More by Gremner
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

Bottle into Sam Adams lager glass.

Pours deep ruby brown, bordering on black, with a small khaki head that quickly fades into a patch of fine bubbles.

Nose is roasty, a dark caramel sweetness that hints of cocoa and is almost meaty, coarse leafy hop presence.

Taste is very roasty, earthy, a touch of peaty smoke, bone dry, moderate bitterness on the long finish. Hop presence is, like in the nose, leafy and a bit raw.

Mouthfeel is lighter than expected, dry, light but coarse carbonation.

Drinkability isn't bad, but the whole package comes off as a bit raw at times, unrefined and out of whack.

12-15-2009 22:48:03 | More by JohnQVegas
MorningDove

Arizona

4.68/5  rDev +26.5%

I'm drinking one right now... there's just something about Guinness.

A: It looks like a beer should, something classic about the bottle, simple yet satisfying, I can not imagine an improvement

S: The smell of real Guinness, no substitutes

T: Plenty of flavor if you like stouts, far more complex than the draught

M: just perfect no the tongue, not too carbonated, not too little

D: The only minor flaw maybe that it satisfies and doesn't make you lust for more

Original Guinness is worth the 2 bucks more you may spend for it on a case as compared to the draught.

12-11-2009 03:54:19 | More by MorningDove
tone77

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very good, sweet, malts, some hints of chocolate. Taste is of roasted malts and maybe a slight note of coffee, finishing bitter. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this makes for a decent brew.

12-10-2009 00:50:34 | More by tone77
twiggamortis420

4.15/5  rDev +12.2%

22oz brown bottle with no decipherable freshness code on it. Pours a dark brown color, not quite black, with crimson highlights around the edges. Tan foam is creamy and thick with pretty good retention and lacing.

Smells roasty and a touch sour with a bit of dark berry and sweet lactose-esque aroma. Reminds me a bit of Sam Smith's RIS, a bit mineraly and chalky. Fairly big nose for a lower ABV stout.

Taste is pretty bold, yet smooth...very nice. Coffee roastiness mingles with a touch of fruitiness, smoke and tobacco. Chalky minerals come through in the taste as well. Does not need too much help from the hops (roasty malt) for a nice bittering finish. This is a good, supremely drinkable and flavorful stout. Huge upgrade over Guinness Draught, this beer does not get the recognition it deserves.

12-04-2009 20:13:49 | More by twiggamortis420
EgadBananas

Louisiana

3.6/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours dark and rich. Appears black, but closer inspection reveals a super dark continuous brown. The head is a very thick, sticky, dark tan that takes a fair bit of time to dissapate, but never does completely. Retention is high and the lacing is ample. Smell is pretty robust; roasted malts, hints of sweetness and bitterness conversely, likely from some coffee I think I'm picking up. Pretty standard stout charactoristics, but it's aroma is definitely above average. Taste too is above average. Nothing stellar, however. Loads of roasted dark malts, fainter sweetness than in the nose and more pronounced bitterness. There seems to be some dark fruits thrown in, scarcely, though I can't seem to pick out what. The mouthfeel is average IMO. Medium bodied at best, with more an American Stout feel, and bordering the thin side. Could have definitely been thicker in the feel. The drink is relatively good, with a sixer easily doable and enjoyable at the same time. ABV is not bad, and feels a smidge higher than it is...always not a bad thing.

Notes: Hands down better than the Pub Draught IMO. Significant flavours, aromas, ect. I'll always choose this over the draught anyday.

12-03-2009 20:59:28 | More by EgadBananas
Evocatus

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

Pour nice and dark with a beige-cream head like a good stout. Smells of roast and maybe some sweetness, possible dark chocolate. Taste has a mix of bitterness, roast coffee, and slight sweetness. Good amount of thickness, although could be a bit thicker. Haven't had the draft version in a while, so don't know how it compares, but I would say you can't go wrong with this one.

11-30-2009 05:46:24 | More by Evocatus
Kooz

3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

First had this 15 years ago in 1994 at 3 a.m. with a guy names Pony. It was the first stout I ever tasted. Had it occasionally since then. Decided to try it again to rate it. I was pleasantly surprised--it was much better than I remembered.

It had a nice appearance. I see other reviews note the classic Guinness appearance, I disagree. The classic appearance is the widget induced/nitro-draft style, which produces a paler, more uniform head with typical nitro bubbles (tighter). This produced a tan-leaning-toward-brown head with big bubbles. It was almost foamy and left a nice lacing on the glass from the four pulls I took. This is what a stout beer should look like, imho. Perfect. The dark, almost black, appearance of the Guinness is beautiful.

It smelled somewhat acrid and fruity. Fairly pleasant. The taste followed suit and had a fruity hint to it--quite different from draft Guinness. Mouthfeel was okay, if almost a little gritty. That was this beer's only failing. As for drinkability, I'd be happy to have this again. It's a good sipping beer and can (I imagine) be a good drinking beer too.

11-17-2009 18:10:23 | More by Kooz
Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.