Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: guinness33 on 11-12-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a large light brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is a little creamy and contains roasted malts, some chocolate & vanilla and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is malty but not as much as you would think with flavors of dark chocolate, vanilla, scotch and bourbon. There's a decent hops presence for the style and much better balance that I had expected. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is dry and slightly sticky.

D: Flavorful and tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, decent representation of style, if I didn't know better I would think this beer was a Scotch Wee Heavy, but I definitely like it a lot more than the regular Guinness, it's nice heavier that's worth drinking for a while.

09-22-2008 01:49:00 | More by TheManiacalOne
sgoodship

3.7/5  rDev 0%

A: Nice thick, finger width head. Darker stouty looking head than typical clean, white Draught head. Jet black color and seems less translucent than Draught. Unable to see any settling through the blackness but you can catch a glimpse of the nice mahogany color around the edges against the light. Really good lacing. Looks tasty.

S: Familiar strong, stale bitterness of Guinness but turned up to 11. It's a harsher smell for sure. If you love Guinness, you can appreciate the unapologetic overtness of this stout. It has elements of that stale brewery smell which I like but it might not be for everyone.

T: Very bitter. Again, if you like Guinness, you can appreciate it but I can see how some would find it a little harsh. You get a good amount of the familiar coffee flavor but I think the subtler chocolaty creaminess that people like in the draught is in danger of getting a little lost. It's a straight up, taking no prisoners stout taste. As with Draught, the aftertaste is more pleasant than the bitterness of the taste. It mellows out after the swallow and then stays with you for what seems like a very long time.

M: Good amount of carbonation. It was more lively in the mouth than I expected it to be. It feels thinner than the creamier Draught which was a little surprising because of the very strong taste.

D: I like to have one of these once in a while. At home in the UK, old and pregnant ladies still drink this for health reasons. Between having this old-school wholesome association and growing up drinking great Guinness on-tap, I have to say I am biased. Having said that, I can't drink many of these. The bitterness of it is a little too much for me.

09-21-2008 03:18:20 | More by sgoodship
gonzo46and2

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance is a dark but not opaque black with bits of red and brown when the light hits. Nice off-white head. Lacing is tight and all over the glass.

Smell is mostly bitter chocolate and grainy malts.

Tastes nice and bitter with a bit or a metallic sting.

Good carbonation and with a nice rich body that's not too thick. Easily drinkable.

09-20-2008 22:09:42 | More by gonzo46and2
dananabanana

2.4/5  rDev -35.1%

A: Dark brown, almost black. Light reveals a deep auburn/ ruby color at the bottom. Thick, solid beige head. Strong lacing doesn't slide down the side of the glass.

S: Freshly ground coffee.

T: Bitter coffee, espresso. A very "dusty" flavor. The aftertaste is sort of metallic.

M: It just sits there, dead on your tongue.

D: Just bitter, no complexity at all. I couldn't even finish the bottle.

Perhaps it had gone bad, there was a definite dustiness. I bought it recently at a store I always have good experiences with. There was no freshness date on the bottle so I couldn't tell. I may need to give this one another try some day...

09-19-2008 11:54:57 | More by dananabanana
cvstrickland

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

22-ounce squatty bomber bottle poured into a pint willi glass yields an inky ruby-brown body with a huge, surging cap of grainy beige foam. The head retains at a convoluted cloud structure and leaves scattered lacing on the glass.

The smell of the drink is dark and roasty with a malty brown sugary sweetness.

The taste is mellow and darkly malty with semisweet chocolate and mildly-toasty coffee-style bitterness and a nice dry finish.

Light on booziness and in body with fine carbonation, Guinness Extra Stout is ubiquitous in the marketplace, inoffensive, and an extremely easy drinker. Those qualities make the brew, in my mind anyway, the quintessential gateway beer for American drinkers looking for something deeper and more flavorful than the standard fare of BMC. I've enjoyed many a pint, nitro-can, and bottle o' "the Black", and though I have hard issues with the brewer's practices and politics, there are no beers I like any better with Irish stew, or enjoy more frequently on St. Patty's Day. It is what it is, and what it is is pretty damned good.

09-14-2008 13:00:11 | More by cvstrickland
kzoobrew

3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

Pour black in color, big off white head good retention. Very decent lacing. Brown soda color when held to the light.

Smell is light roast malt. Some coffee in the nose. Overall not a very aromatic brew.

Roasted malt is very noticeable up front. Bitterness almost lemoy on the back end. Coffee is picked up more on the after taste.

Semi crisp and quite dry.

Quite drinkable, and somewhat enjoyable. I don't know that I would honestly drink more than one at any given time.

09-13-2008 18:19:33 | More by kzoobrew
techtatu

4.38/5  rDev +18.4%

Drank it straight out of the bottle so not much of a physical description other than it's dark. Tried to shine a green laser(25mW) beam through it and nothing. Tasted like extra dark coffee with a nice kick in the end. It has a very dark roasted aroma.

Something I would drink again but I would drink it around winter time. Does not need to be super cold just slightly chilled in order for it to be good.

09-11-2008 18:19:57 | More by techtatu
SimplySinister

3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

A - Regardless of variety, Gunniess is a beautiful beer. Great head, great lacing. Mild Carbonation.

S - Smell is rosted malt.

T - Fairly good, though bordering on too bitter. This is a harsh brew, unlike the smoother draught, similar to unsweeted black coffee. Once the brew begins to warm, hints of chocolate become apparent. It isn't the best tasting stout, but it definatly has a particular character that few stouts have.

M - Moderatly thick and definatly full bodied, Guinness's mouthfeel is a shining example of a true stout's consistancy.

D - Fair. While this is a good tasting beer having a great consistancy, the bitterness of the brew limits its drinkability.

In the past I despised Guinness. However, as my palatte began to expand, I've learned to enjoy it for what it is; a good tasting, widely available stout that acts as a reliable standby. It is a good beer, and one of the most well known stouts that exist today.

09-08-2008 19:58:56 | More by SimplySinister
brewmudgeon

Wisconsin

2.78/5  rDev -24.9%

looks like a guinness...
smells of coffee and char, and the taste matches. pretty coarse and uninteresting. i could see how a coffee drinker might find it likeable, but the straightforwardness in this case is just not appealing to me.
body is about medium, so much thicker than guinness draught in a can.
although this one ends up getting the higher score, if made to choose i'd generally go with the wimpy draught since at least it's sorta fun to throw back. this beer commands your attention and doesn't want you to hurry, but it's just not complex enough (and too burnt) to warrant such an expenditure of time and taste buds, particularly when there are so many better stouts out there.

09-05-2008 07:45:40 | More by brewmudgeon
popery

3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

Before the internet (mostly Beeradvocate) opened my eyes to the wonders of fancy beers, I loved Guinness. Of course, I now know that I really loved Guinness Draught and not its somewhat tastier cousin, Extra Stout, the subject of this review. So, I guess this is a bit of a digression. I actually have had Guinness Extra Stout before. I just didn't really know it was different from Draught. Ok, now, this is definitely a digression. My point is simply that I still have a soft spot for that Guinness flavor.

Well, the beer looks fine. It poured a nice head, but that head evaporated kind of quickly. The beer is a nice black-brown color but not as intense as I like a good stout. This observation brings me to a problem: I have no idea what an Irish Dry Stout is supposed to be. It seems to be a style almost entirely occupied and, for all I know, created by Guinness. I'm really just reviewing this beer as a general stout, and as a stout, the beer could be darker and could have a better head.

The beer has an underwhelming roasted malt nose but better than the Draught. I taste chocolate notes, rather than the more widely reported coffee flavor. I usually don't taste chocolate in stouts, so perhaps I just have some sort of taste problem where I confuse chocolate for coffee. Maybe, I should shut up and trust myself. It also tastes of black tea, english/irish breakfast, which I had a cup of before the beer. So, I have a little more grip on that flavor at least. I don't really like the tea flavor. It's sort of that drinking a cup of tea on an empty stomach with a big multivitamin experience. The dryness of the beer also contributes to a general mouth pucker. The aftertaste is somewhat bitter, which I don't mind, but a bit too dry for me for a stout.

I have to try to separate feel from taste because the mouth pucker is really more of a taste issue than feel. The beer has a nice creamy carbonation, but it doesn't really do a lot beyond that. The drinkability, likewise, is good but not great. I marked it down a little more because, despite my nostalgia, I'm finding the Guinness flavor a bit much by the latter half of my 22oz bottle.

This beer would probably get a slightly higher review were I able to try it on tap, particularly in Ireland, but then that's no surprise really. Having a Guinness at a bar in Ireland is a completely different experience than drinking it at home in front of a computer as I pedantically weigh the beer's qualities. Next time I visit, I'm going to bring a bottle and attempt a side by side taste test.

09-04-2008 03:43:39 | More by popery
BeardedBoffin

New Mexico

4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

A 12 ounce bottle of the Canadian brewed Guinness Extra Stout arrived in the queue today. Very dark in the glass with some chestnut highlights around the edges. A handsome ecru head floated on the brew. The aroma is a hoppy and coffee-like dark malt admixture. It's bitter and biting with acidity and darkly roasted malt. Coffee and espresso provide the bite with the hops contributing the bitterness. Slightly dry with lasting bitterness. It was definitely more than I expected and thoroughly enjoyed it to the last drop.

08-29-2008 12:31:30 | More by BeardedBoffin
danny013

4.65/5  rDev +25.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into an Imperial pint glass. Pour reveals a thick, 3 finger rocky light brown head sitting a top a jet black body with ruby hues. Head sinks slowly and remains for the pint, thick lacing.

Smell is full of roasted malts and some sweetness, with a rich hop aroma coming through on the fore front, balanced between earthy/citrusy.

Astringent grains up front on the taste, mellowing into a sharp roasted flavor. Roasted grains present, some maltiness in the background to sweeten things up a bit. As the beer is swallowed, the classic Guinness 'tang' shows itself, lingering through the finish. Roasted grains still present as the rich hop flavor comes in; some citrusy flavors, mostly earthy. Astringent roasted grain flavor lingers on the tongue. Excellent!

Mouthfeel is good, medium bodied with an almost delicate carbonation that really brings out the flavors and holds them together.

Drinkability is great, as well. Very easy to put back a few. Overall, an excellently balanced stout, certainly one of the classic stouts of the beer world. The "big brother" of the less-offensive Guinness Draught, and a sure pleaser for stout lovers. It's not brewed in Ireland, but oh well, still a good beer. I had a few with a rich Irish stew and some soda bread I threw together last night, paired excellent. I really don't have anything bad to say about this beer, go ahead and grab yourself a 6'er!

08-25-2008 23:57:33 | More by danny013
changeup45

2.9/5  rDev -21.6%

Pours a black color with a touch of amber topped with a thick tan head and quite a bit of lacing. Roasted malty aroma with some lighter coffee scent. The flavor is that of burned dark chocolate and malts with a rich, bitter mouthfeel. Slight traces of coffee here as well. Not bad.

08-23-2008 23:18:34 | More by changeup45
KodyBrannon

4.45/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured this beer into a pint glass. It poured a dark brown, almost black color, with a tan head that left a generous amount of laceing on the glass. The first smell was of roasted malts with just a hint of coffee. But upon more further exploration, the coffee really jumps out at me. The tast is of coffee with a hint of roasted malts. The mouthfeel is kind of thick and very heavy. Overall the drinkability of this beer is very good, and I would definatly enjoy this beer agian.

08-22-2008 23:48:34 | More by KodyBrannon
StoutandBitter

United Kingdom (England)

To my mind, this is the best stout on the market today. After pouring this exceptional beer, the combination of pure black body and creamy brown head make it one of the most visualy appealing beers on the market.

Taking that first swallow, the heaviness and bitterness of the beer, along with a smokey, slightly burnt undertaste, comes through immediately and stays long after the beer is gone. Guinness is a beer that keeps giving, it has one of the longest finishes I have ever tasted.

I must confess, I don't see much difference between the various Guinness' I have tried, but if it says "Guinness", it must be good.

08-21-2008 18:58:27 | More by StoutandBitter
thekevlarkid

Maryland

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

Had to do a classic. Pours out of the tap as black as can be and takes several minutes to settle, just as it should. And it is always so gratifying watching those tiny bubbles rise to form the two finger tan head. Smells of malt with a hoppy/floral undertone. The flavors are rather simple in a way. Guinness tastes like Guinness! Malt, some maple and coffee undertones, bitter in the middle and a dry hoppy finish. As clean and as smooth as beer can be made. Refreshing, hearty and filling. A classic for a reason.

Serving type: nitro-tap

08-19-2008 02:52:45 | More by thekevlarkid
PatronWizard

2.9/5  rDev -21.6%

So I had an oatmeal stout for breakfast the other day, fairly enjoyable. Today the wife wakes up and is all jazzed to try another 'stout' for breakfast. Well, who the hell am I to argue? Pour it already! We have some other stouts with good reps laying around, but the Guinness is refridgerated and that's what she wants. Again, who the hell am I to argue? Pour it already!

Pours dark as night, no sunlight crosses this tar pit.

I'm having real trouble smelling anything. Very, very faint. Like catching a whiff of coffee from the Denny's across the street.

The taste is, well...disappointing. I expected a big mouthfull of something. There's just not much here. I try and try but only the tiniest flavor of coffee comes through.

It's just an alright beer for me. Nothing special at all. It's warmed up a bit and still nothing special. I could drink more of them, but I won't. Bigger and better things await...

08-12-2008 17:18:55 | More by PatronWizard
BoSox5902

4.47/5  rDev +20.8%

a great dark beer, when i was younger, we would go to canada to drink at 19 and we would take this as our first beer at the casino (free parking) and the drinks were a little cheaper than patrick o'ryans, which is a great irish pub. too bad it's in canada. anyways, i would definitely recommend this beer to anyone. you have to atleast try one. This is probably most peoples first dark beer and a good choice at that

08-12-2008 04:27:30 | More by BoSox5902
elniko

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured into pint glass

A: Beautiful darkness, light one finger tan head that dissipated and left lacing. Good looking brew.

S: Nose not terribly strong, toasted notes on the nose.

T & M: Taste is toasty and smooth, with a nice level of bitterness. This is a fine stout. I enjoyed this beer more than the regular Guinness in that it does have a small amount of bitterness.

D: Highly drinkable, I could drink several despite the high ABV.

08-08-2008 04:15:34 | More by elniko
pwsoldier

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Sierra Nevada pint glass.

A - Pours nearly black with an impressive tan head that has great retention. Moderate lacing.

S - The roasted malts dominate, complimented by whole grains and a hint of coffee.

T - A lot more coffee present here than there was in the aroma. There's also some dark chocolate and sweetness from the malts. The hops provide some slight earthy bitterness in the finish.

M - Full-bodied with moderate carbonation. It goes down pretty smoothly. The finish is wet and with some lingering hop bitterness.

D - This is a very sessionable stout. It's smooth and very well-balanced and personally I would never turn it down.

08-08-2008 03:12:39 | More by pwsoldier
kinger

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

I like the extra over the regular, there is a much stronger flavor which I enjoy in a hearty stout. Aroma is good slightly malty and a touch of sweetness. Pours great from the bottle into a pint glass, dark and creamy with a nice head, not as good as the draught can or from the tap since there is no cascade effect. Mouthfeel has more fullness than the regular also which is nice. Flavor is heavy with dark roasted malts, sweet and also bitter, very drinkable and always enjoyable.

08-06-2008 12:54:58 | More by kinger
Zadok

Kansas

A-Poured an almost black with ruby highlights, minimal head with mild lacing.

S-Strong roasted malts and mild coffee.

T-Taste is kind of mild for the look and smell. Mild hints of coffee and roasted malt.

M-Creamy and smooth, low carbonation.

D-Being that it is such a mild stout I could easily foresee having several of these in a setting. Nowhere near as flavorful as some of the other stouts on my list.

08-01-2008 15:15:02 | More by Zadok
jwinship83

3.33/5  rDev -10%

A- very dark brown, almost black with a huge, lingering, tan head that sticks to the sides of the glass.

S- Roasted malts, very mild coffee

T- Very bitter is the first thing i notice. it does have the slight coffee taste that i thought i smelled. very roasty and dark.

M- leaves the mouth feeling very dry. nicely carbonated and pretty heavy feeling body.

D- goes down pretty easily, i bet i could drink a couple of these before getting sick of this, but thats where it would stop.

07-31-2008 02:30:15 | More by jwinship83
Bsobotik

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

A - About as black as brown can be brown, about a finger and a half fine sea foam head that "slowly" dissipates to clean inner wall with good lacing

S - My weak nose detects a faint chocolate/coffee scent

T - Good malty front with an balancing hoppy finish, a bit of a hoppy/coffee aftertaste

M - Comes in flat but finishes with decent carbonation, good heaviness to it

D - A little to heavy for a session beer but I wouldn't mind drinking two in a row

Serving - Bottle into English pint glass

07-28-2008 23:50:07 | More by Bsobotik
nasty15108

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint pilsner glass.

A - Poured picture perfect, a true thing of beauty. Poured pitch black with a thick head of tan foam.

S - Roasted malts mixed with charcoal and coffee.

T - Malty with slight hints of ripe fruit. Finishes off slightly smokey and very bitter.

MF&D - Smooth and enjoyable. Not as good as the stuff I grew up on, but I guess it will have to do for now.

07-27-2008 16:12:11 | More by nasty15108
Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.