Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros

3.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a chalice. Pours out silky and rolls up at the last moment to give a generous but quickly fading head.

A - Deepest brown, jet black in poor light. The head is a caramel brown that swells up and immediately recedes. Looks stout!

S - Somewhat weaker than I'd hoped, mostly a generic roasted smell. Hints of chocolate and at the end something intriguing, a dry, raisin note, like sweet coffee grinds. Faint hops underscore the aroma, but not very potent overall. Gotta really TRY to get the smell.

T - Immediate roasted malt flood, with a bitterness just below. Splashes along the tongue painting your palate with some malty-hoppy madness, but leaving that sweet, dry taste on the tongue. Like the smell, coffee raisin deluxe. Not too bad, but not too interesting overall.

M - It splashes like silk on the tongue and goes down smooth. Thick enough to feel like beer, but not thick enough to require any tooth work. Little carbonation, which I think leads to a smoother touch.

O - One of those beers that I occasionally get the craving for an end up mildly underwhelmed when I indulge... I need better stout I believe.

3.03/5  rDev -18.1%

Let me just start off by saying this beer is all hype, really nothing about it is too special. don't get me wrong i enjoy a beer of this style as much as the next guy but i honestly don't think it's worth the reputation of a great great beer that it's gotten. of coarse i'd choose this over a Bud Light any day but still not too impressed.

1.88/5  rDev -49.2%

660ml bottle 5,0% Abv.
Served chilled in a beer mug.

When I saw a case of this for sale at my local bottle store for R100 (13USD) I was quite excited, thinking I had found my new cheap session beer. I quite enjoy Guinness Draft and thought this would be similar; boy was I wrong.

Appearance: The body seems dark brown in the glass, but a back light shows it to in fact be deep red. A soft pour yields a massive light tan head that fizzes away pretty quickly and leaves almost no lace.

Smell: Sniff, sniff.... Wait, why the fuck does my Guinness smell like maize? I grabbed the bottle to check the ingredients...
"Brewed under license in South Africa"
"Ingredients: MAIZE".
This has to be the sorriest excuse for a stout I have come across. It smells like a mass produced lager - maize, metallic and stale. There is virtually no roasted malt.

Taste: As bad as the nose - this is basically an adjunct lager with the faintest hint of half roasted malt.

Mouthfeel: Light and fizzy.

Overall: I will never buy this again! A 1 was awarded just because it was so disappointing.

3.03/5  rDev -18.1%

Reviewed 04/13/11

A - Black in color with a thick creamy head.

S - A light malt aroma and a much stronger floral hop aroma you would typically get from a stout.

T - Medium to strong roasty malt flavor. Also, has another very dominent off-taste, cannot really detect what it is.

M - Light - Medium bodied

O - Did not really enjoy this beer. I kept getting this off flavor throughout drinking it. Possibly it was an old beer but I didn't see any kind of date stamped on it.

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

poured from the bottle into a Guinness Extra Stout Pint Glass (I love it when that happens)

A - Pours a motor oil black with ruby hues around the edges. Big,fluffy, tan, two-finger head. Just a few tiny bubbles rising along the edges. Head stays intact nearly all the way to the bottom. Leaves behind a wall of lace on the top third of the glass, and large blotches on the bottom two-thirds.

S - Roasted barely with hints of chocolate. Should be much more intense.

T - Roasted barely upfront. The body is pretty much one dimensional but balanced - roasted bittersweet chocolate notes dominate presumably from the interplay of chocolate malt and earthy hops. A rush of roasted chocolate as the beer passes over the back of the tongue slowly transitions into a very dry, bitter coffee-grounds finish.

M - On the lighter side of medium bodied with just enough carbonation to retain some creaminess.

Guinness Extra Stout is one of those decent imports that seems to be ubiquitous to any self-respecting grocery store across the country. In short, this is the Bass of stouts.

Maybe your're on vacation in Oriental North Carolina and staring at the morose beer selection at the Piggly Wiggly, maybe you want a stout and are not feeling adventurous, or perhaps you just want a delicious dark beer to kick back. In any of these situations, Guinness Extra Stout is a good, reliable choice. Perhaps slightly overpriced for what it is ($8-$9 a six), Extra Stout is highly drinkable, all-around solid beer(much better than Guinness Draught) that I will undoubtedly continue to come back to from time to time.

3.7/5  rDev 0%

A - Pours nearly black with a tan one finger head. Dissipates to a light cap and nice lacing.

S - Aromas of chocolate, coffee, and toffee take up the foreground. Sweet with a hint of breadiness.

T - Coffee at first followed by chocolate and caramel. Decent bitterness throughout with a hint of sweetness. The bitterness lingers after swallowing.

M - Medium body and carbonation. Could use to be a little heavier.

O - Not a bad stout, though certainly not as good as it is off the tap in Dublin. Could be bettered by a heavier body and tweaking the flavors a bit, but still nice to have over a good meal.

4.95/5  rDev +33.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a Guinness tulip glass

Appearance: Pours a nice dark tan 2 finger head looks very creamy, beer color is dark as can be with red ruby hues on the bottom corners of the glass.

Smell: Nice hints of chocolate, coffee and toffee a little sweet not so much.

Taste: The body of this beer is not so heavy as it might appear its very drinkable, goes down smooth and very filling. Taste just like it smells you can pick up hints of coffee as you sip and dark chocolate as the after taste, not too carbonated very tasty beer with a body that's not to thin and not to heavy its just right a nice robust package.

Overall: Very balanced goes down smooth I noticed a big difference when drinking this beer at its proper temperature (50-55) it becomes more robust and your palate will pick up some notes you thought were not their if drank very cold, very intense, a good beer one of my regulars I recommend it

2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

I opted to get this instead of the regular Guinness, which ended up being a mistake. However, it makes me appreciate the original even more:

A - pours a murky black color into my snifter. Minimal head on a gentle pour. Looks thin, weak and watery. Nothing too exciting.

S - The smell (or lack thereof) is where things go south - I don't really smell anything. Very faint notes of rye malt and sugar.

T - Very watery stout. Malts, sugar, a bit of dark coffee, and faint hops for bitterness. Rather unpleasant aftertaste.

M - mediocre. It is just too watery and low on carbonation to have a good mouth-feel.

O- Will not be revisiting this one again ever. And I'll stick to Guinness on-tap.

3.3/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A - pours an oily black. No transparency here. With an agressive pour into the glass, I get about a two finger tan head. Speckly lacing on the glass as it goes down. Retains a bit of foam on the surface of the liquid all the way through.

S - roasted coffee and milk chocolate mixed w/ caramel malts. Fairly sweet aroma - not as bitter as I was expecting. It's quite delicate actually.

T - more bitter than the aroma. The roasted coffee and bitter chocolate flavors stand out more here. Dry on the finish. A bit of roasted coffee aftertaste. Not much more to say - those flavors are there, but none really jump out at me in a positive way. They're just kind of there. Not bad, but not great either.

M - medium bodied, moderately carbonated.

O - overall, better than Guiness Draught if I recall correctly. Nothing spectacular, but would work in a pinch.

2.85/5  rDev -23%

Purchased from a Wal-Mart in Memphis, TN during a shopping trip, as part of a six-pack for $10. I had had bad experiences with Guinness Draught in the past and generally found it to be a very subpar beer. I had heard that Extra Stout was supposed to be the "real Guinness" and much better than the Draught. The packaging was certainly more traditional than the Draught, with no fancy graphics or absurd exhortations to drink it straight out of the bottle (ugh). Poured into a New Belgium snifter.

A: Very dark ruby/brown with a long-lasting beige head. Lacing is generous and continuous down the glass. At the very least, Guinness always leaves a good head. This beer is carbonated and thus doesn't have the same appearance as Guinness Draught.

S: Uh-oh. Is that copper I smell? It's metallic, a bit roasty, and fairly weak. A definite "cheap beer" smell. It gets a bit better as the beer warms up but still not really that great.

T: Well, unlike Guinness Draught, it actually tastes like a stout and not like a cheap lager. It has a very dry, bitter flavor, unlike the sweeter and more chocolatey imperial stouts. The metallic tang carries on into the taste, like the bottle followed the beer into the glass. There's a somewhat funky astringent note in there as well. The warming alcohol effect of the better stouts is of course non-existent. As the beer warms the roasted malts become more prominent, whcih is good, but so does the funk, which is bad.

M: For a stout it's not very stout. It coats the palate a bit and is thicker than say, Coors, but doesn't have the syrupy effect that a good stout ought to have.

D: Well it's drinkable, very drinkable, rather excessively so. It goes down easily and smoothly in a very dull, unassuming manner. Really it feels more like it ought to be called a porter (supposedly Guinness indeed had a porter once that was discontinued as the stout got gradually weaker and porter-like). Mainstream beers seem to deliberately remove any filling characteristics from their beers to encourage the drinker to consume more; this is no exception.

O: Well I guess it makes a good stout for people who don't like stout, and it doesn't have any silly gimmicks like nitrogen or widget cans, but it's certainly no "meal in a glass" like the Guinness of old was billed as. At the $10 for 6 price point it also has to compete with the vastly superior Anchor Porter, and for just a bit more you can buy Samuel Smith's stouts that completely blow it away. Not recommended.

4.18/5  rDev +13%

a: The beer is black with a thin mocha head to it. There was no lacing on the glass. It almost seemed thin when I looked at it as I sipped.

s: Deep, rich malty aroma.

t: I got malt up front and a slight licorice note in the finish. Finish was strong.

m: I thought it was acidic and astringent. But definitely a strong presence, which I like.

o: It's a solid, manly stout, but it is a bit rustic. Yet, I had no trouble drinking it!

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

This one pours a deep ruby/black with frothy cappachino colored head. Malty Stout aroma, taste is of chocolate, coffee, roast malt and a slight hint of molasses.Just balanced by hops and leaves a pleasant taste in the mouth.

Guinness makes you strong!

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased in Durban South Africa. Tall nitro-can poured into a Guinness glass.

a - Pours a dark ruby/black color with a gorgeous creamy tan head.

s - Smells of roasted malts, chocolate, coffee.

t - Roasted malts, chocolate and coffee again

m - Medium bodied and medium carbonation with a fantastically smooth finish.

o - Guinness is a fantastic blend of quality, accessibility and availability. Although it can't hold a candle to many of the better micro-brewed stouts, in countries like South Africa where good beers are few and far between Guinness is a light in the dark.

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

Bottle into a pint glass.

A- Pretty much black, with a rocky tan head. Decent retention and it leaves some lacing on the glass.

S- Dark roasted malts with a slight coffee/dark chocolate bitterness. A little dark fruit with some sweetness.

T- Again, roasted malts with a slight burnt flavor. A little sweetness comes through from the malts fallowed by an earthy hop bitterness that lingers through the finish.

M- Full bodied with good carbonation.

O- Not a bad beer, and easy to find, but there are plenty of better stouts out there. If this is all you can get your hands on, then by all means, sit back and enjoy.

2.83/5  rDev -23.5%

I picked up the pint sized from my local gas station. My review may be a bit tainted because I cannot pour a Guinness right to save the life of me. I thought at first that I may have gotten a skunked beer but after reading several reviews I believe my thoughts to be on point. I prefer the regular Guinness absolutely.

A- Looks like a Russian Imperial Stout. The foam is darker and more syrupy than I've ever seen in a Guinness. Holding it up to the light it is much darker and can barely make out it's real dark red color.

S- Burnt caramel, mollasses, baking chocolate

T- Bitter on the tongue, slight sourness in the foam, very rich and robust like an espresso. It did not taste like a Guinness to me, more like a Russian Imperial Stout and tastes like one more even though it is much lower in alochol than one.

M- It is a slow sipping beer, it hits all the palates of the tongue and has a good amount of carbonation. My only real disappointment is that I wish Guinness was as thick in consistency as it looks to be from it's foam. Guinness milkshakes anyone?

I should have bought Newcastle brown ale or went further for regular Guinness cans.

My best experience with Guinness was recently when i got the first pour from a fresh keg. This may color my review but I've always enjoyed this beer. The Pint was very dark with a thick ultra-creamy head; excellent retention. The taste is unusually good for a run of the mill brew with a stout malty coffee flavor with a sweet caramel finish. The mouth-feel was what was remarkable to me, very thick and creamy, I would liken it to a stout milkshake, really satisfying and enjoyable to drink.

4.4/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

A - Very dark brown possibly black, Foamy long lasting tan colored head
S - Nice aroma of dark caramelized malts, hint of alcohol esters in the background
T - Medium body malts followed by a long lasting aftertaste that ends with a nice bitter taste that gets stronger towards the end
M - Smooth, medium carbonation
O - Probably my favorite beer offered by Guinness. Always recommend this beer when people are trying a Guinness

2.53/5  rDev -31.6%

I had this the other day and I was very upset with the taste. All I could taste was a weird cigar/cigarette taste. It really bothered me and was hard to swallow. I poured it into a regular Guinness glass and it looked amazing, but after drinking it, I was glad my glass was empty. I will never buy that again.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

12oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

A - Pours a flat black with dark chocolate highlights near the bottom of the glass. About 2-fingers of cream tan head, with pretty nice retention. Lacing as well is clumpy yet thick, leaving a lasting remnant of the beer long after it's gone.

S - While I know my way around the 'normal' Guinness draught after four years of college, the aroma on this is a nice change of pace. It's definitely a bit more refined and balanced, bringing rich malts in the form of light roast, bittersweet chocolate, and an almost oatmeal-like smoothness. Likewise, the end of the aroma has a pleasant hop bite to it which is completely absent from the draught version. The thing about the aroma is that it transitions nicely into a sweet chocolate as it warms.

T - The balance of the nose leads the way to a similar taste profile. Smooth, creamy malts at the forefront pave the way for the coffee and rich chocolate to really permeate throughout the palate. Again, I'm almost getting some type of oatmeal or a really hearty grain at the start. The flavors unfortunately bottom-out in the mid-palate, almost like a weak porter, but the hops rejuvenate the beer near the finish to give it a somewhat citrus bitterness.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately light-bodied with nice carbonation. As mentioned previously, this is a silky smoothness throughout due to the malts that makes its mark on many different aspects of this beer. At times a bit watery or thin, which is a disappointing thing to have as it derails the otherwise strong start that the taste has.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately high. Much, much better than the Guinness draught, and it definitely has me interested in seeking out the Foreign Extra Stout to see what this long-standing brewery is capable of. Although weak at times, it is fine for what it is.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

A - Very dark, almost black in color. Nice tall head, an off-white brown-ish hue.

S - Chocolate and coffee, can tell this is going to be dark.

T - Smooth and rich. More coffee than chocolate.

M - The feel is very smooth, nary a hint of carbonation. A little on the weak side as far as stouts go. It's rich, but not that rich. Very easy to drink - from a stout standpoint.

Summary - I prefer this Guinness over the popular Draught. The Extra Stout is very tasty, but it is a bit watery, which helps its drink-ability I suppose. Overall, not the best Stout I've had, but one can do worse.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.