2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: guinness33 on 11-12-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,866 | Reviews: 1,208 | Show All Ratings:
BeerlyLegal87

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

I grew up in a Guinness household so it was the first beer I ever tried and since then I've definitely had a thing for dark brews (stouts, porters, etc.) Although it's not my favorite stout, it remains a staple because it's pretty freaking good. I'd choose a Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout over this but I like to keep this in the fridge, as well.

The appearance is wonderful. It looks dark, and rich, almost like dark hot chocolate.

The smell is really great. It's nice and nutty, with hints of coffee.

The taste has nice hints of coffee and malt. The hops come through well but it's not overbearing. Although I prefer the malt-hops balance in other stouts. Overall, though, it has a pretty nice roasty taste that's wonderful for a nice winter day spent by the fireplace knitting or reading a book.

The mouthfeel is my favorite part of this beer. It's rich and creamy. It has a full taste that envelops your taste buds like a Snuggie.

12-24-2013 23:01:35 | More by BeerlyLegal87
Ironbuddha

4.33/5  rDev +17%

I remember the first time I had an extra stout; I was new to beer and just getting my feet wet--it seemed over powering at the time. Fast forward to now, and by luck, some friends purchased me a case of it, and never one to look a gift house in the mouth, I decided to get re-acquainted with one of Ireland's most famous exports. Big change in opinion, it is a great option for being a standby beer in my opinion, from the classic dark brown body to the creamy head, the wonderful yeasty finish (and aftertaste), and it is far better at 45-50 degrees where the yeastiness really shines. Well worth it for a less expensive option compared to my normal fare.

12-22-2013 01:56:16 | More by Ironbuddha
stephenjmoore

3.55/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- Settles into the glass with a very dark brown body and a frothy tan head. Tons of lacing and the head stays around for the duration.

S- Toasted malts, dark bread, hints of roastiness.

T- Some malt sweetness with lots of toasted malts and roastiness. Not a lot of depth in the flavor, but much more than the original Guinness.

M- Frothy, smooth, medium bodied, medium carbonation. Very drinkable.

O- A pretty decent stout and an improvement on the original, but not a great beer. That being said, it's easy to drink, has enough flavor and is easy to find.

12-21-2013 20:33:56 | More by stephenjmoore
RandomExile

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: midnight black, almost imperceptibly brown; 3/4" of rich, dense, creamy tan head; unbroken sheets of lacing with discernible bands
S: malt and very mild coffee, milk and cream, something earthy like straw
T: mild, woody/fiber taste, elements of roast coffee
M: dry, bitter, smooth and creamy
O: A near-perfect sessionable stout, could be improved by a depth of taste or nose, but is flawless for what it is.

20oz / Pint Glass / Victoria Gastro Pub, Columbia, MD

Serving type: nitro-tap

12-17-2013 04:14:11 | More by RandomExile
Chiefy770

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance: Pitch black body. Sand colored head. Sticky lacing lingers around for a bit but dissipates throughout.

Smell: Floral notes up front, toasted barley and grains follow.

Taste: The hops stand out. A slightly warm body stands behind a good hit of hops. The barley and grains kick in and mellow it out pretty quick. The finish is semi-sweet and dry.

Overall: Not a bad Irish Dry Stout by any means. This has a rather light body, making this a great session stout. My only complaint is that it is a bit too sour up front for my liking. This is certainly a classic and is worth enjoying every once in awhile.

12-13-2013 23:47:22 | More by Chiefy770
scratch69

3.99/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Very dark brown with two fingers worth of foamy, tan head. Great head retention with a large amount of clinging lace.

Smell- Dark roasted malt aroma with hints of dark fruit, cocoa, and coffee.

Taste- Like the nose with a hint of molasses as well.

Mouthfeel- On the light end of full bodied with an average amount of carbonation. Smooth and creamy.

Overall- Very good beer. Not as good as the Foreign Extra Stout but pretty close.

12-13-2013 22:29:54 | More by scratch69
hooliganlife

3.84/5  rDev +3.8%

bottle date unknown, i have had it since 2006 and it was years old at that point. sat on my bar shelf in my basement out in the open for years. this has basically been cellared like shit.

poured into a guinness pint glass, UK

pours dark black, light creamy head. a bit of hiss from the cap.

dark sweet fruit, liquor, roasted malt. its pretty faint but decent.

now for flavor. very sweet, lots of dark fruit, maybe some sherry. roasted malt is in the back but not dominant. giving it a 4.0 since it held up so well under such harsh conditions.

light to moderate carbonation. light body, feels a bit thin.

overall, this is good. i was expecting a drain pour but i like this.

12-10-2013 18:26:32 | More by hooliganlife
NoBeerSnob

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

The first time I tasted a Guinness Extra Stout (many, many years ago), I was not impressed. Compared to the Coors and Budweiser I was accustomed to at the time, the Guinness tasted nothing remotely like “beer”.

I recently gave it another go at a local pub (draft), and I fell instantly in love with this brew. Creamy, velvety mouth-feel, malty chocolate beer-shake, delicious!

I tried to replicate the experience at home with a bottle poured into a pint glass, but it fell well short of the mark. It wasn’t bad, but it lacked the mouth-feel and seemed to lack the balance of the draft...a little too bitter. It did improve as the beer came to room temperature. In fact, I drank all the remaining bottles at room temperature.

The points go to the draft...deduct 1.0 for the bottle.

11-26-2013 15:48:28 | More by NoBeerSnob
turbotype

3.66/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

a. Poured from bottle into chilled, but not frosted pint glass. 2 finger head, kinda frothy, like shaving cream. high retention. some streaks, but little lacing. Color is black.

s. Smells toasty w/ a hint of coffee. But seems diluted.

t. slightly sweet w/ bitter finish. coffee notes. earthy, but not overly so.

m. Typical stout/porter. medium body, dry.

o. smooth drinkable stout. not complex in any way, but doesn't need to be. drink with any meal at cellar temperature and enjoy!

11-06-2013 06:20:48 | More by turbotype
schoolboy

I probably had my first one of these in 1975 or so. We used to get one and pour it into a pitcher of Strohs sometimes when I was in college. I remember that I didn't much care for it until a little later, and it was one of my gateway brews that got me hooked on brewing and drinking better beers. The other Guinness stout variations we typically get here are generally better, but I still have a place in my heart for the original.

It looks great in a glass, with tons of lace and head, and the head lasts a bit better than the widget ones (but isn't nearly as spectacular to start). The aroma is what it should be - slightly malty and hoppy. The taste is nice and bitter, and well balanced. The aftertaste is a nice hoppy experience.

This is still a brew I won't refuse. I will have a few today.

10-19-2013 16:20:32 | More by schoolboy
Private_Beer_Tongue

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

It's Guinness and if your not familiar with the Brand it is kind of the "Average" beer drinkers "Exotic" Brew choice when their not Tossing back Bud Or a Coors its the original fancy beer of the masses which in my Beerpinion is best out the tap not from a bottle, at just cooler than 50 degrees (my preference) its really creamy and smooth not much else though very simple and straight forward which is likely the reason people seem to like it so much its just EZ to drink I prefer a Anchor Steam Porter myself but find that if I am @ a family function Guinness is likely the only reputable and readily available alternative!

09-23-2013 01:16:18 | More by Private_Beer_Tongue
Pyramid_Head

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

Guinness is easily one of the best macrobrews you'll find, but by no means is it the best dark beer. Not even close.

Guinness isn't bad. It has a great velvety mouthfeel, a nice looking head, properly poured Guinness looks like a work of art. Taste wise while it's nice and bitter, there's a strange funk in the background. It could have just been poor cleanliness on the part of the somewhat crappy sports bar i tried it in, and given a chance i would like to try it again. That said when it comes to dark beers i almost always recommend you try a local brew first.

09-22-2013 12:19:12 | More by Pyramid_Head
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

3.01/5  rDev -18.6%

Interesting I can't believe I've never reviewed this until now:

Into a pint glass:

A: dark brown body, one finger off-white foamy head, body's too dark for any carbonation to be seen rising

S: dark roasted coffee, little bit of cocoa

T: slightly bitter, no cocoa, plain bitter aftertaste, dry finish

M: medium, sessionable - maybe, carbonation seems just a bit over carbonated for the style, but not bad for me

O: for an Irish Dry Stout, not bad, worthy of having again but unsure if I'd seek it out

09-08-2013 01:59:03 | More by BeerKangaroo
bgillespie

4.3/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pitch black in color, just as expected. Little carbonation. One inch head that resolves down to a cap.

Smell: Toasty, rich smell. Chocolate, creamy. Very inducing.

Taste: Roasted taste up front with hints of creamy chocolate and vanilla.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy, like a milkshake. Smooth and went down well.

Overall: Rather impressed, being that it is one of my first stouts I have tried. Wasn't sure I would like it, but as I kept drinking, I acclimated to the taste and enjoyed it overall. The pitch black color was great.

09-05-2013 06:14:38 | More by bgillespie
patre_tim

China

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Dark brown to black with a slight ruby tinge when held to the light. Almost opaque but not. Half a finger of tan brown head. Cannot see carbonation.

S: Very watery, slight toasted malt scent, slight creamy bovine milk like scent. Slight coffee and dark cocoa.

T: Slight toasted malt, molasses, creamy milk or cheese like quality, a little cocoa and chocolate but all are very faint, smooth drink.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, very smooth.

O: Like a watered down version of the Foreign Extra. A lot smoother it would pair well with a wider variety of foods. I like it and could see having it at pub with food. This version was produced in Shanghai.

09-03-2013 13:51:00 | More by patre_tim
Jdbateman83

3.13/5  rDev -15.4%

I have a love hate relationship with Guinness. I love the smell, the mouthfeel, the appearance. Absolutely love the aforementioned. Then we get to the taste... Horrible. I hate it, it is extremely bitter to my pallet. I can drink it, and if there is nothing else on tap, as in it is literally the only thing available, I would drink nothing... I want to love it, I love everything else about it, but its soooo bitter... to me...

Serving type: can

09-01-2013 03:49:05 | More by Jdbateman83
Beerwolf666

4.3/5  rDev +16.2%

Ahhhh! Guinness Extra Stout is a Fantastic Stout Beer,If you like Stout,then you will LOVE Guinness Extra,Taste~Hints of Chocolate,Carmel,Vinilla & Molassas will hit your tastebuds right off the Bat..with the Vinilla getting up front a bit more when the beer warms a bit,you also can really smell a nice sweet Vinilla Aroma when you stick your sniffer over a nice pint glass of Guinness Extra,along with a Beautiful Roasty malt smell & Chocolate Scent,also I get a bit of Coffee in there too~
A pretty Complex Brew over all..so many flavors & smells,with all of them being stellar and Quite Nice to enjoy when you want a Beer with a Ton of Flavor.
I LOVE this Beer & have been drinking it for a VERY long time,Great with a nice Slice of Chocolate Cake,bits of Chocolate Candy or Butterscotch bites,and if you want a real treat try a "Heath Toffee Candy Bar" with a Pint of Guinness Extra..Yummmm!
In all Honesty,I can not find ANY negative points with this Beer,it has been, and will always be my "Go 2" Stout,always consistently stellar,I even have a shelf in my beer fridge reserved soley for "Guinness Extra Stout":)
Cheers and Peace to All~

08-30-2013 18:00:19 | More by Beerwolf666
zac16125

South Carolina

3.74/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours an opaque black with browning on the edges. 2 fingers width of light mocha colored head is dense, and dissipates down fairly slowly. Leaves a good amount of lacing.

S: Biscuits, toast, cream, chocolate, roasted malts, doughy yeast.

T: Dark fruit, roasted malt, cream, some bitterness, cocoa.

M/D: Medium body, fairly smooth but carbonation on the heavier side which detracts from the smoothness, drinkability is average.

O: Good, but doesnt stand out. Certainly better than regular Guinness (at least bottled regular Guinness). Its worthy of a drink, but dont expect to be blown away.

08-24-2013 22:27:48 | More by zac16125
Weston19

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Guinness glass

A: Black with not sign of a red hue. It pours with a mocha colored head that diminishes into a thin lacing.

S: Dark chocolate, roasted barley, mocha coffee. The smell reminded me of going into Starbucks as they're roasting the coffee, it becomes more pleasant as the beer warms up.

T: Roasted black coffee, some sweet notes up front, some faint chocolate, and you get the bitterness from the hops at the back of the throat.

MF: Very creamy but at the same time very smooth and a tiny bit watery. Leaves a very bitter aftertaste but nothing too bad. Overall the mouth feel was as expected.

O: It isn't a bad stout and has good flavors. As it warms up the alcohol is more present but the bitterness becomes less obvious. It's roasted notes come out more as it warms up and the flavors of a dark mocha drink become more present. It did, however, have a bit of a metallic taste towards the end once the beer began to warm up. Not a bad beer, would love to try this out on tap since it probably wont have that metallic aftertaste that the beer acquired after sitting there for a couple minutes.

08-23-2013 01:55:40 | More by Weston19
Caj1

4.34/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into my favorite pint glass, it's the classic Guinness: huge foamy creamy brown head and the traditional obsidian-ruby.

Smell is good, roasted barley and malty smells predominate, caramel, butterscotch, and some burnt biscuit, very appetizing, I want to drink this now.

Taste is more complex than I remember it being, it's got more butterscotch flavor and some toast, not overcomplicated at all, with a very nice smoothness, a little bit of burn from the carbonation. The tiniest hint of hops is present, but it doesn't make itself known until it's warmed up a little bit in the mouth and then a little bit after swallowing the beer and letting the flavor sit on the tongue. Aftertaste is sweeter and more like caramel, the hops oils make themselves more prominent on the back of the tongue as well. Mouthfeel is good, heavy and smooth.

Ah, Guinness... sometimes it's good to go back to something you knew well. It's everything a stout should be, and there's a reason it's so ubiquitous. Cheers to good health and good beer.

08-22-2013 07:42:20 | More by Caj1
TheGreatGizzo

Iowa

2.88/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This beer is a matter of particular preference. It has some bitterness to it, but you can get use to it.

The mouth has a slight bite with it, which enhances the drinking experience. Without this I would not be able to enjoy it like I do.

I would be more apt to drink this in the winter rather than summer. It's summer now, so I don't think I can appreciate the tones fully.

07-18-2013 03:44:54 | More by TheGreatGizzo
jimmah120

3.7/5  rDev 0%

one pint, 6oz bottle. poured into a guiness pint glass.

Very dark cola color, with a great mocha head. smell is oats, wheat, lager, and earthy skunk. taste is roasted malt, bitter earthy hops, slight cocoa/coffee roast, bitter and dry in the finish.

06-22-2013 01:16:42 | More by jimmah120
IchLiebeBier

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Dark; molasses-like; 2-finger head, dissipates rapidly

Aroma: Malty, roasted grain, coffee

Taste: Bitter, creamy, with dry aftertaste; not bad, but not well balanced

Remarks: I've always felt Guinness was a bit too thin for the style

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

06-15-2013 13:33:02 | More by IchLiebeBier
laramis

South Carolina

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Poured a very dark if not black color it had a two inch tan head that retained well and left tons of lacing.

S: Good smell lots of roasted character sweet malt and chocolate hints very pleasant slight hint of alcohol perhaps some dark fruit notes.

T: The roast hits up front followed by the slight sweetness in the smell it has an overall earthy flavor and ends bitter, yet refreshing and enjoyable.

M: this was the most disappointing aspect, the expected creamy feel was not there it feels rather light and while this was refreshing it was not what i expected.

O: I am not super familiar with this style so I cannot say if it is pure to the style, also i have heard that guinness has watered down changed etc their beers, i don't know i really liked the beer it tasted good it looked good and it smelled good , the mouth feel was a bit disappointing and maybe that is the watering down but on the whole this is a good beer.

05-26-2013 03:12:14 | More by laramis
EyeBeeFameUs

1.66/5  rDev -55.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

I did not enjoy this brew at all. It looked decent as I poured it into my glass, but when I took the first sip I was instantly transported to China because it tasted exactly like soy sauce. It sat there dead on my tongue and eventually the aftertaste was like teriyaki sauce. I had to pour the rest out and drink a Shock Top to ease my pain.

I would not recommend this beer to anyone that doesn't like the taste of chinese food in their beer. The dark color looks like chocolate but does not taste like chocolate liquor or chocolate or coffee anything. I was excited to try something new but I was not satisfied with Guiness Extra Stout. I will try a regular Guiness although.

05-13-2013 22:30:05 | More by EyeBeeFameUs
Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.