Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
2.82/5  rDev -23.8%

Purchased from a Wal-Mart in Memphis, TN during a shopping trip, as part of a six-pack for $10. I had had bad experiences with Guinness Draught in the past and generally found it to be a very subpar beer. I had heard that Extra Stout was supposed to be the "real Guinness" and much better than the Draught. The packaging was certainly more traditional than the Draught, with no fancy graphics or absurd exhortations to drink it straight out of the bottle (ugh). Poured into a New Belgium snifter.

A: Very dark ruby/brown with a long-lasting beige head. Lacing is generous and continuous down the glass. At the very least, Guinness always leaves a good head. This beer is carbonated and thus doesn't have the same appearance as Guinness Draught.

S: Uh-oh. Is that copper I smell? It's metallic, a bit roasty, and fairly weak. A definite "cheap beer" smell. It gets a bit better as the beer warms up but still not really that great.

T: Well, unlike Guinness Draught, it actually tastes like a stout and not like a cheap lager. It has a very dry, bitter flavor, unlike the sweeter and more chocolatey imperial stouts. The metallic tang carries on into the taste, like the bottle followed the beer into the glass. There's a somewhat funky astringent note in there as well. The warming alcohol effect of the better stouts is of course non-existent. As the beer warms the roasted malts become more prominent, whcih is good, but so does the funk, which is bad.

M: For a stout it's not very stout. It coats the palate a bit and is thicker than say, Coors, but doesn't have the syrupy effect that a good stout ought to have.

D: Well it's drinkable, very drinkable, rather excessively so. It goes down easily and smoothly in a very dull, unassuming manner. Really it feels more like it ought to be called a porter (supposedly Guinness indeed had a porter once that was discontinued as the stout got gradually weaker and porter-like). Mainstream beers seem to deliberately remove any filling characteristics from their beers to encourage the drinker to consume more; this is no exception.

O: Well I guess it makes a good stout for people who don't like stout, and it doesn't have any silly gimmicks like nitrogen or widget cans, but it's certainly no "meal in a glass" like the Guinness of old was billed as. At the $10 for 6 price point it also has to compete with the vastly superior Anchor Porter, and for just a bit more you can buy Samuel Smith's stouts that completely blow it away. Not recommended.

4.16/5  rDev +12.4%

a: The beer is black with a thin mocha head to it. There was no lacing on the glass. It almost seemed thin when I looked at it as I sipped.

s: Deep, rich malty aroma.

t: I got malt up front and a slight licorice note in the finish. Finish was strong.

m: I thought it was acidic and astringent. But definitely a strong presence, which I like.

o: It's a solid, manly stout, but it is a bit rustic. Yet, I had no trouble drinking it!

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

This one pours a deep ruby/black with frothy cappachino colored head. Malty Stout aroma, taste is of chocolate, coffee, roast malt and a slight hint of molasses.Just balanced by hops and leaves a pleasant taste in the mouth.

Guinness makes you strong!

3.66/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased in Durban South Africa. Tall nitro-can poured into a Guinness glass.

a - Pours a dark ruby/black color with a gorgeous creamy tan head.

s - Smells of roasted malts, chocolate, coffee.

t - Roasted malts, chocolate and coffee again

m - Medium bodied and medium carbonation with a fantastically smooth finish.

o - Guinness is a fantastic blend of quality, accessibility and availability. Although it can't hold a candle to many of the better micro-brewed stouts, in countries like South Africa where good beers are few and far between Guinness is a light in the dark.

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle into a pint glass.

A- Pretty much black, with a rocky tan head. Decent retention and it leaves some lacing on the glass.

S- Dark roasted malts with a slight coffee/dark chocolate bitterness. A little dark fruit with some sweetness.

T- Again, roasted malts with a slight burnt flavor. A little sweetness comes through from the malts fallowed by an earthy hop bitterness that lingers through the finish.

M- Full bodied with good carbonation.

O- Not a bad beer, and easy to find, but there are plenty of better stouts out there. If this is all you can get your hands on, then by all means, sit back and enjoy.

2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

I picked up the pint sized from my local gas station. My review may be a bit tainted because I cannot pour a Guinness right to save the life of me. I thought at first that I may have gotten a skunked beer but after reading several reviews I believe my thoughts to be on point. I prefer the regular Guinness absolutely.

A- Looks like a Russian Imperial Stout. The foam is darker and more syrupy than I've ever seen in a Guinness. Holding it up to the light it is much darker and can barely make out it's real dark red color.

S- Burnt caramel, mollasses, baking chocolate

T- Bitter on the tongue, slight sourness in the foam, very rich and robust like an espresso. It did not taste like a Guinness to me, more like a Russian Imperial Stout and tastes like one more even though it is much lower in alochol than one.

M- It is a slow sipping beer, it hits all the palates of the tongue and has a good amount of carbonation. My only real disappointment is that I wish Guinness was as thick in consistency as it looks to be from it's foam. Guinness milkshakes anyone?

I should have bought Newcastle brown ale or went further for regular Guinness cans.

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

My best experience with Guinness was recently when i got the first pour from a fresh keg. This may color my review but I've always enjoyed this beer. The Pint was very dark with a thick ultra-creamy head; excellent retention. The taste is unusually good for a run of the mill brew with a stout malty coffee flavor with a sweet caramel finish. The mouth-feel was what was remarkable to me, very thick and creamy, I would liken it to a stout milkshake, really satisfying and enjoyable to drink.

4.39/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

A - Very dark brown possibly black, Foamy long lasting tan colored head
S - Nice aroma of dark caramelized malts, hint of alcohol esters in the background
T - Medium body malts followed by a long lasting aftertaste that ends with a nice bitter taste that gets stronger towards the end
M - Smooth, medium carbonation
O - Probably my favorite beer offered by Guinness. Always recommend this beer when people are trying a Guinness

2.63/5  rDev -28.9%

I had this the other day and I was very upset with the taste. All I could taste was a weird cigar/cigarette taste. It really bothered me and was hard to swallow. I poured it into a regular Guinness glass and it looked amazing, but after drinking it, I was glad my glass was empty. I will never buy that again.

3.59/5  rDev -3%

12oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

A - Pours a flat black with dark chocolate highlights near the bottom of the glass. About 2-fingers of cream tan head, with pretty nice retention. Lacing as well is clumpy yet thick, leaving a lasting remnant of the beer long after it's gone.

S - While I know my way around the 'normal' Guinness draught after four years of college, the aroma on this is a nice change of pace. It's definitely a bit more refined and balanced, bringing rich malts in the form of light roast, bittersweet chocolate, and an almost oatmeal-like smoothness. Likewise, the end of the aroma has a pleasant hop bite to it which is completely absent from the draught version. The thing about the aroma is that it transitions nicely into a sweet chocolate as it warms.

T - The balance of the nose leads the way to a similar taste profile. Smooth, creamy malts at the forefront pave the way for the coffee and rich chocolate to really permeate throughout the palate. Again, I'm almost getting some type of oatmeal or a really hearty grain at the start. The flavors unfortunately bottom-out in the mid-palate, almost like a weak porter, but the hops rejuvenate the beer near the finish to give it a somewhat citrus bitterness.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately light-bodied with nice carbonation. As mentioned previously, this is a silky smoothness throughout due to the malts that makes its mark on many different aspects of this beer. At times a bit watery or thin, which is a disappointing thing to have as it derails the otherwise strong start that the taste has.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately high. Much, much better than the Guinness draught, and it definitely has me interested in seeking out the Foreign Extra Stout to see what this long-standing brewery is capable of. Although weak at times, it is fine for what it is.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

A - Very dark, almost black in color. Nice tall head, an off-white brown-ish hue.

S - Chocolate and coffee, can tell this is going to be dark.

T - Smooth and rich. More coffee than chocolate.

M - The feel is very smooth, nary a hint of carbonation. A little on the weak side as far as stouts go. It's rich, but not that rich. Very easy to drink - from a stout standpoint.

Summary - I prefer this Guinness over the popular Draught. The Extra Stout is very tasty, but it is a bit watery, which helps its drink-ability I suppose. Overall, not the best Stout I've had, but one can do worse.

2.85/5  rDev -23%

Head; Nice strong tan head with wonderful lacing.

Body: Black as hell, no light shines through.

Smell: Not really anything to write home about.

Taste: roasty malts, and not much else to speak of.

The aftertaste was a bit weak, didn't really coat the mouth very well.. Just another average brew in my opinion. Again, I didn't expect much, and I wasn't really let down.

3.76/5  rDev +1.6%

For all my early drinking years drowning myself in Guinness, I can't believe this is the first time I've tried their Extra Stout... It's been consistently available at liquor and beer stores, but every time I ventured inside (which is alarmingly often) I passed it by. Not this day. Today, we drink!

(Bottled by Labatt, with an ABV of 5% - not sure why the discrepancy)

Poured in to my Duvel goblet. I do have a Guinness glass kicking about, but I like my goblet better for stouts. Initially the sides of the glass were covered in carbonation bubbles, but this soon disappeared, leaving behind a silkier, murkier brew. Rich black-chestnut, leaves a thick foamy head, good lacing, great retention.

Nose is mild coffee, a bit of burned or roasted malt, but with a strange pale-lager character lurking in the background, as if the bottle contained Labatt Blue for a little too long before it was improperly washed. Strange, might just be this one particular bottle.

Fortunately that strange lager character has been banished from the taste; what is here is quite bitter and slightly astringent. Starts off sweet, malty, with a mild roasty flavour before a bitter, astringent, burnt coffee finish wipes the palate clean. This is indeed nothing at all like regular draught Guinness, which I've increasingly found to be too sweet and watery for my liking.

Strange also to have a Guinness product without nitro involved in the bottling or canning. Medium-bodied, silky, quite smooth, with mild carbonation. Puckery from the astringent hops and bitter coffee finish.

Not bad, I will probably pick this up again instead of regular Guinness when the situation calls for it. The bitterness and tartness of the brew gives new life into a long-since diluted and over-marketed brand. No appeals to the lowest-common denominator here. My new definition of "Guinness."

3.02/5  rDev -18.4%

A: dark black, cream colored head. Thin looking.

S: smelled of roasted malts and chocolate a tiny bit.

T: nothing to write home about - it's a dry stout, a little bitter, not that much malt, but it's okay

M: nice mouthfeel - smooth, dry, and well carbonated

O: nowhere near their foreign extra stout, but it's available. I'm not a huge fan of the style, I'd much rather have a russian imperial stout, but in the style this is drinkable but weak.

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my terrapin Cask pint glass

A-Like Many stouts this poured a dark black with a creamy white colored head. decent retention.

S- Smells fairly good. not great. Smells sweet. With an oatmeal/coffee hint mixed in.

T-Really not bad. Starts with a sweet coffee/oatmeal mix and mostly finishes the same way. Not much else I can use to describe this. Much sweeter than I Expected.

MF- A little creamy. A little thick. Good aftertaste. Not much to complain about here.

O- Pretty good for a Guinness. Better than I was expecting. I am very happy with this purchase and would recomend this over any other guinness stout I have tried.

2.95/5  rDev -20.3%

Enjoying this classic while staying in through the storm. It feels nice to be able to stay protected while sipping a beer while the wind blows.

I poured the beer into a chalice to hold in as much aroma as possible. Guess what? It is black with minimal head. The body is much thinner than a typical stout, which must make the masses happy.

Off the top you get a thin coffee smell. The coffee flavor continues in each taste. There is also a pretty decent amount of bitterness. The flavor is very simple.

I feel a little silly reviewing Guinness. Almost everyone on this site has probably already had one. If not, I reccommend the experience at least once.

1 pint 6 oz bottle, brewed in Canada

poured into a guiness pint glass straight from the frig.

aroma: no strong aromas detected

appearance: Not as much foam as I'm used to for a guinness stout on draft, more of a finger width than a normal preacher's collar. The foam quickly settled as well. A dark brown to almost black color. minor lacing that improved as it warmed.

flavor: a little forward hops when first poured. low carbonation that faded and not the normal bitterness that was expected.

mouthfeel: not as smooth as on draft but easy to drink. slight aftertaste as it warmed.

overall impression: drinkable but not as good as I expected. A good example of the style but nothing remarkable. improved as the pour warmed up.

not something I would purchase again in the bottle.

3.33/5  rDev -10%

330ml bottle served in an Snifter glass.Enjoyed on apr´11
Pours pitch black in color.Headed by a beige,close & dense foam.Lasting thick layer.Nice lacing rings.Intense toasted malt aromas & coffee hints.Extremely dry bitterness.Medium body,Well balanced flavors.Medium carbonation.Coffee notes on the aftertaste.

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

not my highest score, but a definite favorite and go-to with this one

A - very dense, dark brown with reddish hues in the light, tan head tends to come and go most of the time, but I usually dive straight into this rather than sit there and study the head

S - aromatic bitter chocolate and citrus flavors, a little yeast and dark beer tones

T - there's a reason they call this "dry stout". the flavor is very dry and biting, with hints of chocolate and rounded off coffee tones, slight hoppy citrus and a generous lactic bite that defines Guinness. not as heavy or strong as most stouts, but the trademark flavor makes up for it nicely

M - smooth, not too light or heavy, leaves a warm stickiness on your tongue all night

D - very drinkable if you're not looking for immense depth and challenge and just want a nice stout to kick back with. goes great with lots of foods. I actually enjoy it the most at pure room temperature. happy drinking!

3.76/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a deep black with a mountain of brown head with great retention. Nose is faint; roasted and maybe a little caramel. Taste is a caramel sweetness up front and then the roasted malts take over and add a richness and smokiness to the flavor. There's a slight creaminess in the finish. Mouthfeel is full-bodied, moderately carbonated, and very smooth.

Not a bad Irish Dry Stout. It's much better than the original draught.

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance: Wow, I know this is supposed to be about the look of the beer, but I was a little surprised to actually SMELL something on this pour, a lot of roasted malt and coffee. There is more carbonation here than I expected, and I’m not sure how I feel about that in a stout.

The head started out extremely thick (three fingers at least) and is slowly dying down, leaving a soapy, bubbly lace behind. It’s dropped down to a one finger, lacy head - looks like the top of a root beer float.

Again, this seems kind of weird for a thicker beer like a stout. For being “extra”, the appearance of the head is not anything like the beautiful Guinness Draught. Nice lace though. Color is almost exactly like Guinness Draught. Instead of dark ruby highlights, I’m seeing a mahogany instead on the sides of the glass.

Smell: The roasted malt smell is barely noticeable; instead, there is a great bready malt aroma that fills the nose. It isn’t overpowering, but it makes my mouth water a bit. Honestly, it’s got the nose of good brown ale, but I’m willing to go with it. Hop accents aren’t really there, and on return sniffs, the roasted coffee beans and chocolate notes are coming through a little.

Taste: Very first thing on the sip is the bitterness that was the after taste of the Guinness Draught. It’s almost like the hops have finally shown up for the party in a big way. After the initial bitterness has worn off, there is a very strong coffee flavor that fills the mouth and lingers for a while.

The bready malts are still there, but it takes the back seat to the roasted coffee malts. The after taste is very earthy, and a little bit of the 6% ABV is coming through.

Mouth feel: The mouth feel is much like the Guinness Draught, not near as big as it should be, or more like, how I think it should be. It’s medium to thin and the aftertaste dissolves away into the characteristic bitterness in a couple seconds. The earthy after taste lingers for a little bit.

Overall: So is it better than Guinness Draught? Eh, I guess? While the flavor profile is bolder, it isn’t a bold that builds on the watered down original draught. I was expecting the roasted malt to really hit me in the extra stout, instead it’s like they just boosted the hop flavor so the bitterness is a bit bigger in this offering. It’s nice to have that interesting earthy, coffee flavor lingering on the palate, but it doesn’t really wow me.

The beer is good; I just wish the bready malts I caught in the nose were more evident during consumption. The product just doesn’t have the body to make it something I would ever go to again.

4.08/5  rDev +10.3%

Bought a 6 pack of this yesterday, have never tried the extra stout Guinness before this. Drank straight from the bottle.

Appearance - Very dark beer. Love the color of the head.

Smell - I smelled malt with a faint hint of chocolate.

Taste - Very stout, strong taste. After taste is pleasant, much more potent than a Draught Guinness. I tasted a sort of roasted (probably burnt) flavor of barley or something along that line. It wasn't an unpleasant taste, just very prominent. Could taste some chocolate flavors.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth at first, very dry towards the end. I spent about 45 minutes on this one bottle. When it warmed up it became very dry.

Overall - Love the beer. Guinness is becoming one of my favorite casual beers.

3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

330ml bottle

A- Very dark brown in color, almost black. A one finger frothy tan-head shows very nice retention and leaves a good amount of lacing

S- Quite faint smell. Roasted malt with some notes of coffee and chocolate. Maybe a faint hint of hops, on the earthy side

T- Roasted malts are dominant, with strong coffee notes. A delicate tea-like bitterness on the tongue with some light notes of leaf and lemon. Strongly bitter for the style in both finish and aftertaste

M- Medium body. Silky on the palate thanks to delicate carbonation. Very dry finish

O- An easy drinker for sure, but it lacks complexity and feels quite boring

3.86/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance - Still perfect pour. Black as night, with the most perfect 2-3 finger frothy tight bubbled billowy head.

Smell - Malty, Malty, Malty. Some chocolate notes.

Taste - Smooth, malty start but finishes with a somewhat bitter finish and lingering aftertaste. Plenty of flavor in finish, just seems too hoppy/bitter in the end for this type of beer.

Mouthfeel - Nice, full bodies and rich in the mouth.

Overall - A decent beer, nicely flavored but a little put off by the bitter aftertaste that lingers.

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

A-Pours a dark brown with some ruby highlights at the bottom of the glass, with a thin pool of tan head.

S-Sweet dark plum with some roast character very evident.

T-Caramelly roast profile with a hint of dark fruit, some good coffee notes that stop just this side of overly bitter.

M-Medium bodied, very dry and crisp.

O-A nice beer, good flavor, a pleasant drinker.

HV

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.