Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -1.4%

Eh. An okay stout. Not a bad price, at 1.29 a bottle.

Pours a dark, fairly translucent brown. First thought: this does not look like a stout. Maybe a porter. Big creamy off-white head.

Smells like roasted malt and ... roasted malt. Not much else. Taste is more complex, with the barest hint of vanilla, some sweet caramel, and a roasty malt background.

Well, it's a good beer, and certainly better than their draught offering, but I'm not sure I'd revisit. Why can't we get the St. Martin Foreign, etc. stout here in the U.S.?

Overlord, Jan 01, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

A- very dark black with a creamy rich tall head. it reduced slowly as i drank and left a good lacing

S- the smell is initially good. there are pleasant hints of caramel and malt, followed by roasted malts. but after these smells fade, i felt it was missing something, there wasnt an after smell that i was craving after the build up in the beginning.

T- roasted malts overpower. i taste a coffee aftertaste. the taste isnt layered enough so it did not satisfy. what i mentioned before were the only flavors i could find-- its two-note-- and not tasty enough

M- okay mouthfeel, no real complaints. im not really impressed though... the body was too light for the style in my opinion

D- i dont want to drink any more. the experience was not a good one.

the things i do for beer advocate

ssam, Dec 30, 2008
2.83/5  rDev -23.5%

Pours a dark black with a mocha head. Looks kind of creamy.

Smells like almost burnt malts and alcohol.

Tastes very alcoholic too. Would not believe this is only 6% from the taste alone. There is a molasses, burnt sweet taste. Tastes like the roasted the malts a little too much.

Mouthfeel has that thick creaminess with not a lot of carbonation.

I can't handle a whole bunch of this stuff. Leaves a roasted/bitter aftertaste that I don't like.

ocelot2500, Dec 29, 2008
1.9/5  rDev -48.6%

When someone figures out that I'm a beer nut, they almost always say the same crap: "Yea I love beer, too - and not that cheap crap. I'm talking about Guinness - its like a meal in itself!" I've even heard "Guinness is God's greatest creation" several times. Then I say my standard response: "Yeah...Guinness is ok, but there is better stuff out there." Sometimes people are put off or disgusted when I say this, and some are interested in that better stuff that is out there.

Anyway, I think (and I know that even most people on this site will disagree with me) that Guinness is next to undrinkable. I can't stand it. It does look good - nice creamy pour with a nice creamy head. The smell and taste are just so skunky to me, though. Sure the feel is thick and creamy, but it is overdone. In my experience, if the beer isn't cold enough, it is plain flat. And I don't like my stouts that cold! Drinkability is low, as I can barely finish a bottle.

prsguitarsr4me, Dec 27, 2008
2.7/5  rDev -27%

Poured from a 24oz bottle into a guiness imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Agressive pour yielded a mocha caramel colored 1 finger head. Poured a deep dark rich syrupy blackish brown color, absolutley opaque.

Smell: Smeels like guiness mixed with rum.. not too bad a combo, but the alcohol is immediately present. I get some deeply roasted, almost burt malts and grains comming through as well.

Taste: tastes like it smells for the most part. very boosey. The quality of the beer cannot hold the measly 6%abv at all. I get a huge burn from the boos that overcomes the barely apparent malts and molasses components.

Mouthfeel: Very Very hot, thick and syrupy, not my cup of tea, even for a stout.

Drinkability: This was a drain pour after less than half was drank. Its not even good for getting drunk off because its only got 6% while it tastes like its got at least 15%. Not for me

Augustiner719, Dec 27, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Black though to a bright light, a very dark ruby. Lots of head (four fingers) from a hard pour. It takes a while for the head to shrink enough for me to pour the rest into the glass. After head shrinks to a nice layer, a fair amount of lacing is left on the sides of the glass.

S - The dark malts are there but not much else.

T - Sweetness up front but the hops are hiding until it hits the back of your throat. Chocolate and hints of coffee flavors. The dark roasts are very good.

M - Light body with nice carbonation. Very smooth.

D - Easy to drink. When I first tried this beer a about a month ago at a party, I had no problem having a few.

JMBSH, Dec 25, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance:
Dark black with more than a finger of head.

Smell:
Malty and roastedness come through strongly with a mild hint of hops.

Taste:
Very malty in the beginning and middle with a slight bittering at the end that leaves a drying aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:
light body with a strong taste of carbonation but a decent smoothness.

Drinkability:
Easy to drink another due to a mild abv of 6% and the overall smoothness of the beer and the distinctness it brings.

seangroves, Dec 22, 2008

Pours a dark, cloudy brown with 1/4 inch off-white head. Good lacing with decent retention. Smells of sweet malts and hops. Fits the style of an easy drinking malt/hop blended stout. Tastes the bitterness of the hops along with some roasted malts. Good blend of flavors. Aftertaste is strongly the roasted malts. Crisp, not so smooth, but low carbonation doesn't interfere. Overall, not bad at all and easily much better than regular Guinness.

Tone, Dec 22, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -20.3%

I've tried 320 some odd beers but never a Guinness in my life.. how about that.

Well, it's decent, that's for sure. Pours a nice jet black with a light brown head. Not much there aroma wise, took many whiffs and I come up with nothing. Taste is a bit alcohol heavy for only 6 % ABV.. as I swirl it around my mouth I can detect some strong alcohol burning going on. Some nice malts are also there too, but this beer's alcohol kick affects the drinkability a good deal. Meh, not what I was hoping for.

oriolesfan4, Dec 21, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Finally got my hands on a bottle of this fairly common beer that I've just never picked up. Really liked it - definitely superior to the omnipresent but fairly non-descript Guinness Draught. This one looks pitch black, a solid tan head that dissolves fairly slowly. Nose and taste are strong on coffee, roasted malt, some light fruit. Maybe a bit of caramel in there. Feel is fairly full, good carbonation. Appropriately stouty. Overall, a nice brew.

soupyman10, Dec 21, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured into a pint.

A: Black in color. Little carbonation, pours into a 2 finger, grayish, frothy head with little craters. Settles into a thin layer of bubbles on the surface with mountain shaped layer of foam on the sides as it does. A little lacing, but a giant foam ring reminds you where you started.

S: Strong malt and yeast.

T: Really bitter hops, malt yeast, and a hint of nuttiness.

M: The hops assault your tastebuds with a full on attack. Then malt, then maybe walnut(?) or pecan(you know how when you bite into on with the center membrane still intact). Coats the inside of the mouth. Hoppy aftertaste.

D: Robust flavor, great drinkability.

This beer has great atmosphere and great flavor, just a little complexity. Robust, bitter, and truly stout. Has a light drinkability, and a great finish. Excellent quaff. If you've stuck with the draught, you haven't experienced everything Guinness has to offer until you've gone down this road.

bmwats, Dec 20, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

From a 1 pt. 6 fl. oz bottle marked G10MB1-2042-L8192NTI. I am assuming this is the version offered widely in the USA; the one you can find just about anyplace where they sell beer; the one with the Pythonesque "brilliant" ad campaign. If so I am reviewing the right one. Despite the fact that everyone and his brother tries this at least once I am giving this mainstream brew a high rating because it is one of the best easy to find beers you can buy. It pours brown-black with a decent, foamy tan head. Aroma of cocoa, malts, and chocolate hops. Decent mouth feel. Distinctive hopped flavor that ends dry. Always a great go-to beer if it is after hours.

puboflyons, Dec 19, 2008
2.78/5  rDev -24.9%

Contracted brewed for Guinness by Labatt in Canada. Pours a very dark brown, verging on black. Not quite opaque, with garnet highlights. Light, frothy tan head, lots of lace.

Smells primarily of fruity esters, typical of other guinness products. I'd describe them as candy-like green apple (not quite the acetaldehyde green apple, though). Some acrid roast and raisin-like fruity-caramel.

Taste contains a lot of the same candy-like esters, some DMS (surprisingly), light roast malt flavours with a somewhat sour 'zing' of some sort, reminiscent of something I can't quite put my finger on; almost a cider-ish flavour. For a guinness product, I'm really not impressed. Maybe it's just a bad batch. Slight sweet raisin fruitiness and some munich-like grainy malt; finishes roasty-dry

Moutfeel is medium-full. Somewhat chewey, but finish is clean and dry.

Not especially drinkable, but it's not cloying, either.

prosper, Dec 19, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance - Dark chocolate brown with a creamy tan/sienna head. As I drank it it left one of the nicest Lacings I've seen in a long time.

Smell - Faintly bitter barley smell at first later accompanied by a roasty coffee-like aroma.

Taste - The two most predominent tastes up front are bitterness and less obvious hints of sweetness. (Coffee-like)

Mouthfeel - Creamy and very smooth. Perfect amount of carbonation. However it leaves a bit of dryness afterwards.

Drinkability - Very smooth and quite tasty, I could easily drink 2 mabye even 3 in one sitting.

Schwarz04, Dec 17, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +20.3%

Appearance - Nice thick brown with a bubbly tan/brown head. Laces well.

Smell - Kind of that distinctive Guinness bitter barley smell with hints of milk on it. Also a bit of coffee in there.

Taste - I don't know if I'd put this one in the dry stout category, as its very sweet on the tongue. Coffee and milk come up front immediately with some good roasted malts notes and faint bread. Finishes with a hint of hops.

Mouthfeel - Everything the mainstream Guinness wishes it was. Nice and creamy with a subtly strong carbonation.

Drinkability - This is what Guinness on draft should be. Not that nitro abomination.

sevopie, Dec 17, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

A: as with all guinnesses, it really is gorgeous. Nice creamy head, nice brownish bubble effects.

S: much better than the draught. We actually can smell some roasted character (coffee and chocolate) but it is still much weaker than most stouts.

T: Again, some roasted characters that weren't present in the draught version. Some coffe, chocolate and even some vanilla. Again, much weaker than most stouts.

M: Still a bit watered down, but again, it's better. Mid light body with very low carbonation. Creamy feel.

D: Very high. It doesn't taste really strong and it has an acceptable taste. Not too hard on the stomach too.

flipper2gv, Dec 16, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

So... here goes my inaugural Beeradvocate review!

This one was brewed by Guiness in New Brunswick, Canada. No freshness date visible.

Appearance: Black as night -- not a ray of light from the opposite side of the glass. Tan, moderate head that leaves behind nice lacing.

Nose: Italian roasted coffee, bits of dark chocolate. As the beer falls, the coffee comes out more strongly.

Taste: Coffee, again. Lots of roasted malt, with a pleasant finish.

Moutfeel: Slightly heavy; creamy, with prominent dryness on the end.

Drinkability: Relatively easy.

My introduction to extra stouts, I've become very fond on this beer. As they're readily avaiable in SoCal, I'm sure I'll be buying more in the future.

Intelligentsia, Dec 15, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +26.5%

Appearance: This brew pours amazingly well. A wonderful deep chocolate. Head follows Guinness' tradition being very full with plentiful lacing. Excellent. Just Excellent.

Smell: A wonderful coffee aroma surrounds the nose. Roasted malts underlie the flavor curve excentuated by faint alpha hops. Excellent. This brew is one of the top on the market.

Taste: Sharper than a traditional Guinness, but not oppressive. There is an almost expresso presence...BUT the hop bitterness burns through what could otherwise be an overpowering presence.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is just about perfect. There is a foamy nature to this selection that is quite impressive. Excellent.

Drinkability: The drinkability is amazingly high for a such a heavy brew type.

Overall: This is a GREAT beer. Get it...

Prosit!
Nikki

stockingcpl, Dec 15, 2008
2.78/5  rDev -24.9%

Presentation: 12 oz. brown bottle with that classic Guinness label.

Appearance: Dark brown, near black; it lets just enough light through to give it ruby highlights. It's capped with a fluffy, mocha colored head with good retention that leaves bits of sticky lace down the glass.

Smell: Light roasted barley, mild milk chocolate, and hints of minerality. Pleasant, but overly simple.

Taste: Mild roasted coffee, hints of dark fruit, and light mineral notes. It's dry and what comes across predominately is a nondescript, sharp bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, a little bit fizzy for the style IMO.

Drinkability: Ok, but doesn't leave me wanting another really.

Conclusion: The last time I had this beer was maybe 2-3 years ago when I bought a bomber of it to use in a Guinness Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Coulis (wonderful, btw). Nevermind that it was like 10:30 a.m., I polished off the remainder of the bomber (hey, you can't let good beer go to waste) and I remember really liking it. It was rich, malty, roasty, and bold. In a word, the opposite of this beer. I don't know if I got an "off" bottle (it's possible, as I got this in a mix-a-six) or if this is what Guinness has become since it's brewed in Canada now...either way...I probably won't be trying this again any time soon.

BedetheVenerable, Dec 13, 2008

Poured a jet black with a tan head, moderate lacing.

Smell is good that of coffee, black and roasted malts and possibily some Galena hop.

Taste is also very good smooth chocolate, espresso coffee with a touch of toffee in the finish. The hops produce a good alpha bite and linger in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel if full.

Drinkability is good as long as you plan on a short evening. I love stouts however I would have to switch this one up with something else if i were to session.

I would pair this with any red meat smothered in caramelized onions.

GordonQuid, Dec 11, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

First time I had this, I didn't realize there was a difference between this and the Guinness on tap. Oops. Pours dark as night with no head. Meatllic, but nicely roasted malt and chocolate aroma. Taste is very bitter in comparison to its weaker sibling. Minimal hops, but lots of smoke, malt, and baker's chocolate. I don't know which I prefer.

magictrokini, Dec 10, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from 22oz bottle into Guinness branded tulip pint glass.

Appearance: Pours pitch black with a thick tan head that doesn't stay for too long but leaves a lot of lace behind.

Smell: Roasted malts, through and through. Has a sweet taste almost like molasses.

Taste: Starts sweet and finishes bitter, similar to coffee.

Mouthfeel: Thick with balanced carbonation and pretty smooth.

Drinkability: Not my favorite, but I could see it going well with certain foods. Also, very sessionable- I wouldn't mind having it again.

Mosstrooper, Dec 09, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -4.6%

Original Rating Date:
June 16, 2008

I'm not a very big fan of the original Guinness, but I really liked this one. Much thicker, creamier palate than standard Guinness draft. Tastes fuller as well. Again, there are better stouts out there, but this one was pretty damn good.

Vendetta, Dec 07, 2008
3.33/5  rDev -10%

A - Black, looks like coffee. Thick very fluffy brown head that hangs around for a while. Leaves fluffy rings of lacing.

S - Pretty good smell. Very balanced between malts and hops. Not a 5 to me because of the coffee smell.

T - Malty with the coffee taste that I could smell. Little bit of roasted nuts taste. Finishes with a good hops taste. The coffee taste kinda turned me off though. Good for the style, but not what I want in a beer.

M - Too thick for me.

D - I can knock one of these back, , two maybe, but past then I don't want another.

I tried this beer before and absolutely hated it, but now its not bad, just pretty okay to me. Maybe its a beer that grows on you over time. The coffee taste and thickness of the beer turns me away, which as I said I guess is pretty good for the style, but not my thing.

cottonkoozie, Dec 07, 2008
3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

A: poured a nice dark brown with a tan colored head about half an inch thick, nice red/garnet accents when held to the light. little clumps of lacing all around the glass, not too shabby. not terribly impressive though.

s: smells like a more guinness-y guinness really, there are some roasted malts there, signature guinness smells, less burnt though, a little bit of chocolate, and i can't help but notice a distinct smell of chlorine/pool water? glass was clean too...hmmmm. slightly sour guinness smell as well.

t: pretty nice on the chocolate, not too much initially for the roasted/burnt flavor, still it is there, a nice black coffee flavor, not strong coffee, but just coffee. definitely a hop presence in this one that isn't in the draught guinness. clean and earthy, piney. not too bad. slight earthy aftertaste.

m: relatively thick, it isn't an export stout or imperial stout, but still is pretty hefty in the mouth, very smooth, not much carbonation. not too shabby.

d: not quite as drinkable as the draught, but still not too bad. i could easily see drinking a few of these.

pokesbeerdude, Dec 05, 2008
Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.