Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
3.97/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance - Proper tan/khaki colored head with a worthy dark brown to black color with the deep red highlights. The head retention was not as pronounced as I thought it would be nor did it stick around as long as I thought it might. Nice little ring left though.

Smell - Dry, roasted, woody aroma. A dab of the cream or creaminess slivers through to the nose. Almost detecting a dried fruit. Something like dry raisin or plum. Hints of coffee and chocolate in there also, but tend to stay in the background.

Taste - Roasted or a toasted grain came to me at first with the taste. Malt character seems a bit sharp, but in a good way. Like most Stouts, the burnt coffee is an outstanding trait that helps round out the flavor.

Mouthfeel - Seems dryer than most in the mouthfeel. Medium to more full in the mouthfeel. Chewy and mostly smooth. A bit warming with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability - This brew is easily likable. Easy drinking and follows the qualities of a proper Stout. Always solid and would be a smart choice when left with limited options. Are there better Stouts? Sure, but a person couldn't go wrong by selecting this one, in my opinion.

4.06/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - very dark as it should be, nice tall tan head. creamy. this beer has one of the best lacings.

S - hints of coffee and malt. makes my mouth water.

T/M - deep, rich, roasted taste. goes down smooth and lightly creamy. has a more full bodied taste than regular guinness.

D - this is one of my old "standby" beers. a regular in my beer rotation.

3.86/5  rDev +4.3%

I am using a crystal mug and the beer is almost black in color with little head building and disappearing fast. leaves very nice lacing.
Hardly any smell but really good earthy, nutty tastes. Certainly banana and roasted malts, but all very smooth and balanced.
Very drinkable and promises good times in a nice irish pub with good irish music. I want more.

3.2/5  rDev -13.5%

After tasting some of the other specialty stouts, the first thing I noticed about this, was the presence of a slight banana esther as compared to the high barley strength in the others.

poured clearer dark brown, with minimal but tightly creamy 1/2" tan head, which quickly disipated leaving a minimal blanket of bubbles with slightly sticky lacing.

smell was slightly of banana esther, sour notes.

The taste was also surprisingly not as malty as many, but a bit on the sour side, with definite banana essence. Not sweet, or bready, or pungent hoppy, but "green" - sour tang. Is this what is meant by "dry"? A little more hoppy and bitter on the outbreath, and much less malty than other stouts I've tried.

Felt slightly creamy, light-to-medium bodied, not "thick" at all.

Very drinkable and the flavors mentioned don't overpower the experience. Perhaps more of a session beer than some sippers; probably good with pizza and cigarettes! Not what I expected from its reputation as a popular stout, though.

3.76/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. No born on date on the bottle, though further examination would conclude one that this was brewed in Canada.

A - Pours a deep black color. Minimal to no lacing in the glass. Very little head after an aggressive pour but one shouldn't expect much with this type.

S - Roasted barley, sweet caramel. Nuts, rich earthy tones. Not overly strong on the nose.

T - More roasted barley, slight sweetness that resembles that of caramel or some kind of dark chocolate. Very nutty after taste, similar to that of roasted peanuts. Very tasty.

M - Medium bodied, certainly not as full as it looks. Goes down smooth though.

D - One of my favorite go to stouts. Way better than the more popular Guinness Draught version, which pales in comparison. Great session stout, especially on a cold night when you need a dark, rich beer that just seems to warm the soul.

3.11/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours with a dark brown with a beautiful head which has a nice head.

Smell the dark fruit and some chocolate.

The taste is just ok to me. Taste some dark fruit in the beginning and some bitters at the end.

The mouthfeel is pretty smooth.

Drinkability is nice but the overall taste of this brew isn't making me want to reach for another. It's ok but just ok.

4.44/5  rDev +20%

If I could drink but one beer every day for the rest of my life, this is it. There are beers that I have liked better in tastings, but this one is the one that would be (and it) my stand-by.

The flavor is deep and rich, with smoky undertones. No beer has a better head or better lacing.

3.51/5  rDev -5.1%

12oz bottle into bruges tulip.
A: Pours a vigorous head that settles into a nice frothy layer. The lace that is left from the settling head is very sticky. The body is a deep black, still shows a bit of light around the edges. The head is a deep creamy tan in color.
S: The aroma is not that strong for the appearance of the beer. notes of roasted nuts and an Irish sweetness are found.
T/M: The front of this beer is a mellow malt taste, that have a roasted note to them, but the mouthfeel is a bit on the lighter side and does show a hint of unwanted sweetness. Finishing up with a small amount of dry mouthfeel, this one is a classic stout, but one that is on the lighter side.
D: This is a really drinkable brew. One that could be a session stout. I find the flavors to be too low key and I do think that I would search for another to get dead set on consuming this for session purposes. All in all a nice and balanced brew.

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance- Is a dark brown color, has a small head that is a tanish cream

Smell- Smell of coffee and caramel

Taste- Taste coffee with chocolate and caramel

Mouthfeel- Has a full body goes down smooth

Drinkability- This beer is pretty good would drink it again, not the best stout i ever had but pretty good

3.36/5  rDev -9.2%

Well, trying one of the originals (well, sort of...)

Very dense, super-dark brown in color, near to opaque but juuust not quite. A finger of creamy-smooth, pillowy and tannish head crowns the stout...I can't see the carbonation, but I know it's there. Aromas are faint, and metallic. Some dark chocolate way in the background, but mostly just a slightly roasty metallica...Flavor is very forward, and very tangy. I get mostly grapefruit, and some dark chocolate, the kind you cook with. Not sweet at all. Flavor doesn't really evolve except to pick up some hops at the end and then die a slow, painful death. This is like Metallica's post-Black Album output: you want to like it so bad, but really it doesn't compare with most of what is out there. However, this is always well-priced so drink up as it's worth the price in most cases.

What I like most: The price and craemy-smooth head.

What I like least: The lack of any aroma profile.

Verdict: Sure, it's ubiquitous at this point, but what's the point. Drink it if you're broke as it always does the trick.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.
Poured a dark brown to black color with a nice, creamy, tan head.
Roasted aromas were present along with very slight chocolate and coffee notes.
The roasted aromas come through in the taste. I can see this pairing very nicely with a steak or some other beef. Slightly bitter finish. Very drinkable beer.

Overall, a very good beer and it will, without a doubt, be in a rotation in my fridge.

2.76/5  rDev -25.4%

A: black with tan head

S: what smell? uh this one has very low smell light roasted note....

T: taste is just bland drinking a bit of roasted notes but come on...

M: light mouth thin and watery med carbonation

D: its drinkable but meh its not something I wanna drink...

overall: a disappointment this is what happens when you contract brew your beer.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Dark brown coffee. Creamy tan head. Nice retention. Great patchy sheet of lace.

Roasty coffee, toasty caramel, and nutty. Some herbal notes.

Roasty earthy coffee. Toasty caramel. Dark fruit. Moderate earthy bitterness.

Smooth and rich. Full-med Body. Drying.

Very drinkable. Not as smooth and creamy as Draught. Not as big and full as Foreign Extra. But overall a tasty Irish dry stout.

Unfortunately, can't find the Dublin one out in town in Spain so I settled for the imported one from Canada to the Navy base. Still a nice hearty macrobrew, nonetheless. Tried two ways-straigt up in my tasting mug - A: Nice dark brown with dark brown head of approx 1 inch. Laced nicely. S -malty chocalately goodness. Taste-sweet, malty, burnt chocolate. M: Heavy. D: like a sandwich only all liquid, could drink a few but would feel like I ate a loaf of bread. The second way I tried was in a Black and Tan with a nice Belgian strong pale ale-Judas. Supercharged Black and Tan with the 8.5% ABV as a treat in the bottom. Used a you tube video to coach on the pour. If you like a strong cocktail then I recommend pairing this with a strong Belgian pale ale. Don't try with a strong american pale ale or the hops will kill the sensation.

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

A-Pours a clear almost black color with hints of deep ruby. On top is a huge, two fingered, dark ivory color, creeeamy head that has outstanding retention and excellant lacing. Very alluring look indeed.

S-The aroma at the surface seems to be plain, but as I smell and sniff for different aroma notes, I found, black licerice, sweet caramel, sweet honey glazed homemade biscuits, and milk chocolate covered coffee beans. But I think the caramel and licerice take the main roles in the aroma.

T-The tasting experiance begins with the coffee notes and moves to caramel and black licerice, but the bittersweet coffee is the star of the show on my palate.

M-It is so very creamy and sweet up front, with a full body, yet finishes slightly dry and crisp in the finish.

D-Given the crisp dry finish, this beer is very very drinkable. I would give it a 5, but on second thought.... no, but I was very impressed with this beer. I saw this beer time and time again, passing it by. But one cool crisp day I said, NO! I will try this beer. And I did, and I'm glad.

3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

This is hard to classify. In a bottle, at least, it's a pale shadow of the "pub guinness" experience, and you can't really say it has a a huge flavor, but what's there is pretty decent -- mainly a round, slightly dry, slightly sour roasted grain taste. Other than that, it's best described as "inoffensive." It has a nice level of coffee-like bitterness, and a satisfying amount of roast grain taste, but no real oomph.

It is highly drinkable though, and of course a million times better than the typical American macro. There's enough flavor there to keep one happy and focused on the conversation, but it's mild enough to stay in the background, and I can imagine downing quite a few of these...

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle.

A: Deep blackish brown. Maybe some hints of ruby. Small tan head, that quickly fades.

S: Toasted malt, and that's about it.

T: Mostly toasted malt again. There's a faint sweetness somewhere in there. Finishes with an earthy hop flavor, and leaves a lingering burnt, charcoal taste.

M: Light bodied and smooth. Light carbonation.

D: Can't drink more than one of these, and only on occasion. The burnt flavor is just a little too much for me and seems a bit unbalanced.

4.76/5  rDev +28.6%

6 pack purchased 10/2/2010 in Easthampton, MA.

Appearance- used 30 weight motor oil. slightly tan 1 finger head on a mild pour. When held up to light, slight red hues show though.

Smell- not extremely strong. i pick up sherry, cocoa, and roasted coffee undertones.

Taste- Creamy, very dark coffee & roasted flavors. Almost as good as the foreign extra stout, but simply missing something.

Mouthfeel- Creamy, but not too thick.

Drinkability- All night.

I know this isn't a very descriptive writeup- I usually try to be very descriptive and accurate, but Guinness Extra is just one of those beers that kind of speaks for itself. Leagues better than draught, Not as good as Foreign Extra Stout. Fantastic beer despite it's commercialization. Always in my fridge.

2.81/5  rDev -24.1%

Guinness Stout has a thick, creamy, beige head and a very dark, almost black, red appearance. Aroma is very strong, with a sickly-sweet and dark coffee smell. The taste is okay. Dark Coffee and dark chocolate, with lots of heavy malt characterize the flavor. Mouth-feel is heavy and syrupy. Guinness finishes very filling. I think this is an okay beer, but I preferred the Guinness Draught.

RJT

4.53/5  rDev +22.4%

Certainly not the first time I've had one of these, but the first time since creating this database.

It was a beautiful Sunday, Penny and I were at "Walk Ons" just outside the LSU campus. It was late in the afternoon, and I had two pints with some hot boneless wings and brisket sliders while watching the Duke/Baylor game, with the winner heading to the Final Four.

I was pleasantly surprised when the girl poured both pints properly, with a good break between the first two thirds and the last third. Perhaps a tiny bit colder than recommended, but a wonderful creamy head that really hit the spot. It's very hard to beat.

4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

For years I thought Guinness was just a low ABV dark porter rather than a stout. Just recently I found out the import version is 6 percent? WTF I had to gets me some.

A - As always pours a nice deep dark blackness brown with a very impressive head and lacing sticking all the way from the top. It was interesting to not get a bottle with that damn plastic ball that apparently helps it keep carbonation. This one stands on it's own.

S - Semi dark chocolates, mild roasted coffee with a hint of malt which seems to be bitter pilsner malts. Very interesting overall.

T - Wow big rush of chocolate at first. More so than Young's double chocolate. Leads kind of toward a bitter coffee but malt kind of falls flat a bit. It does finish well with some hops which was unexpected in this stout.

M - Pretty medium bodied. Goes down pretty smooth.

D - Kind of glad I tried this. Seems pretty succession-able but the hops (or malt) bite at the end is still pretty aggressive but I still could have a few in one sitting. Now I just need to find the 7.5 percent version ;)

3.86/5  rDev +4.3%

I've actually never had a Guinness before. This might seem like a crime to some, but I've just never really had the urge to. I've recently been in a bit of a stouter mood, though, so I saw this and figured I'd pick it up (I also heard the Extra Stout is better than the original Guinness).

Anyways, it pours a dark, coffee-grinds brown color with a beautiful two fingers of tan head rising up off the beer. It hangs around for a while before dissipating, leaving some pretty decent lacing around the glass. Off to a good start.

The nose is fairly fragrant, which I like, and it seems to have some good stuff in there too. Some nice dry, roasted malts show up, accompanied by a little coffee, but that seems to be about it. Maybe a bit more complexity would be good. I like the fragrance, though.

The flavor is good, and a little more complex than the nose. Up front is the same roasted malt character, then accompanied by some bittering coffee grounds and a bit of semi-sweet chocolate. Towards the end is a slight earthiness that bitters just a bit.

The mouthfeel is decent, but like most stouts I wish it was thicker. Still, it does have a nice medium body with almost no carbonation and a dry, slightly bitter finish that I guess makes it earn the title Irish Dry Stout.

Overall, this is a pretty solid stout. A little thicker, a little more complexity and it would be stellar, but I'm still happy with the buy. Not bad for my first Guinness, and long overdue.

4.18/5  rDev +13%

A- deep dark brown massive creamy tan caramel colored head great lacing
S- dark fruits light milk chocolate some coffee n raisins no hop detection
T- dark fruits and brown sugar at first then tons of bitter burnt roasted coffee really a great balance of bitter n sweet going on here which was totally perfected
M- very creamy and silky a real pleasure on the tongue
D- always drinkable you can never get sick of this stuff

2.78/5  rDev -24.9%

Appearance -- Pours a deep brown with ruby highlights. Three fingers of stiff and spongy beige head.

Smell -- Not especially aromatic: deep roast malt, black coffee, some chocolate and mint.

Taste -- Up front is burnt coffee, burnt toast, faint baker's chocolate mid-palate, and a deep earthy hop finish. Quite bitter, quite burnt.

Mouthfeel -- Medium in body with ample prickly carbonation. Astringent finish.

Drinkability -- I was hoping for something fairly drinkable, but what I got was something of a let-down. The flavor profile is really simple (burnt coffee, chocolate), but the nail in the coffin was the mouthfeel: hard carbonation and a really terrible astringent/chalky coating throughout the mouth. Just awful.

I'm almost hoping this was just a bad bottle, but I fear this is just as good as it gets.

4.01/5  rDev +8.4%

One of my favorite Stouts I've tried to date. Poured from a Guinness tap into a branded pint glass.

Appearance: Absolutely beautiful to watch, and makes you anticipate what you are about to drink. A very thick 3 finger head, and the very unique waves that cascade down the glass like waves in the ocean. The bubbles flowing downward are very unique also, and a treat for the eyes.

Smell: Roasted malt, a bit of barley, coffee, and a tiny tiny bit of hops.

Taste: The malt comes through at first, and fades into a coffee and caramel flavor. The barley and hops come through very gently at the end to show you they are there, but they take a back seat to the other flavors.

Mouthfeel: thick, but very smooth. It feels substantial, but it doesn't allow the flavors to linger and allow you to meander and explore the beer.

Drinkability: Goes down pretty easy, and is a great beer to enjoy with a meal, especially something good and heavy, like corned beef or something.

Verdict: An Irish favorite, and one of mine also.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.