Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Dark black with thick foamy cappucino-colored head. leaves alot of lacing

S: alot of roasted grain with a hint of coffee

T: sweet malt upfront soon balanced with alot of hops. leaves a roasty, hoppy aftertaste

M: full body and smooth up front with a dry finish

Overall, this beer brings it back to the basics. Good solid & reliable stout. Good drinkability and flavor.

2.55/5  rDev -31.1%

Pours a very dark colour with red tinge and fringes, thin ochre head that sits pretty defiantly as a crown, kind of like coffee crema in its appearance. Lacing is thick but wet, leaves some almost crystalline traces here and there. Looks pretty decent.

Nose is roasted and tart, with some carcinogenic burnt aromas, has a kind of chlorine character, blending with sweet dark chocolate and some dark fruit, glacé cherries and toffee. A bit of a confused nose, not quite one thing or the other. I think maybe a bit more of a roasted character dominating the sweetness would make it more robust and enjoyable. Not bad though.

Taste is quite a dark affair. Starts fairly sweet and meek, with fairly flavoursome chocolate notes suggesting themselves, descends into a really quite sour dark roasted flavour, with resiny notes and hints of walnuts, licorice and a funny salty character. Has an odd and quite unpleasant "off" character on the linger like rotting vegetable matter, very savoury and astringent.

The palate does have a sort of journey to it, but it feels unbalanced, like the flavours don't blend into each other very well. Overriding it all is that funky sour character which is quite off-putting really, it's very potent and robust here, and blended with the burnt malt character is a real struggle for the palate to enjoy.

Mouthfeel quite light, fairly smooth I guess, but very little body in spite of 6% and a lot of dark malt. I respect this for giving me more flavour than the draught but even still it feels like a watered-down stout. The robust flavour is more insipid, and the tartness is a pale shadow of what could be a powerful earthy bitterness.

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

I just dont see how you can go wrong with a Guinness. Poured into glass.. VERY dark with a great head that lasted towards the end. Really enjoyable.. thick and tasty, like a beer should be.

While I personally thought my last Guinness Extra Draught was a little bit better then this one I am sure gonna give it another try very soon to see if the Extra Stout will win in the end.. Whoever wins I would always recommend both of these great beers.

3.05/5  rDev -17.6%

This pours dark with a light head. I don't know how i feel about the carbonation in this. i do like nitro with stouts and i guess i'm used to it, the carbonation just seems like too much for me.
This smells very roasty and maybe almost burnt. The taste is a little too roasted for me and i don't mind the bitterness but i think i like reg guinness or murphys type stouts that offer more sweetness and smoothness. I do also get hints of spice and maybe some chocolate but not very noticeable for me
Its still pretty drinkable but nothing spectacular.
overall i see how this is more true to how a stout should be but its just not my thing.

3.33/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Room temp
Bottle to pint glass

Appearance: As I poured the brew came out very smoothly allowing for a nice soft pour, even still once I began pouring down the middle of the glass the almond colored medium density head began to build immediately so much that I had to slow my pour lest I overflow the glass, when I was finished the head was nearly 2 fingers, but faded to about ¼ inch leaving a medium lace that clings to the side.

Smell: I smelled a very strong dark or chocolate malts, there was some caramel sweetness but it was hidden, what I noticed the most was the heavy spice of the hops. The hops was fairly strong but not completely overbearing, I noticed what seemed like another spice in there as well but it might have been just a very heavy hop. I did not smell any alcohol in the brew.

Taste: I really didn't notice much of the sweetness that I smelled initially, there was a very robust malt taste that competed with the bitterness of the hops. The level of bitterness was not offensive in fact it seemed well balanced, but the bitterness held throughout and seems the one constant in this brew, even as I write this almost 15 minutes after finishing I can still feel and taste some of the bitterness in my mouth. There seemed to be some very rich licorice taste which was probably a mixture between the malts and the hops. This is certainly a full bodied brew, but there is a spice in the taste that I simply cannot put my finger on. I also did not notice any alcohol taste.

Mouthfeel: This stout has a thick feel to it but certainly not tarish. The carbonation is about medium as it fizzes on my lips and tongue. There is also a thin layer of diacetyl that is left at finish, but once gone the Extra Stout leaves the mouth dry.

Drinkability: This is where I think this brew suffers, the complexity of this brew means that it is really in my opinion an acquired taste. I cannot honestly say that this stout went down easy, and with the residual bitterness in my mouth now 20 minutes later I don't know if I would want that on a regular basis.

Re-reviewed on 1/15/2011. The last time I reviewed this I am pretty sure I had an infected bottle as it was pretty sour and unpleasant.

Poured from 22oz bottle into a mug.

Appearance: very dark brown, bordering on black, with a thick finger of foamy tan head. Quite a solid stout.

Smell: roasted malt with nutty and caramelly qualities; quite like a rich nut brown ale. Hops are basically undetectable on the nose.

Taste: sweetish malt flavor with a bit of caramel and nuttiness. Roast is not present until the very end, when a nice, acrid (in a good way) roast dries out the finish. Bitterness relatively low but well-balanced.

Mouthfeel: medium to medium-light body with a fairly solid carbonation level. The feel is a little more fizzy than creamy but I think it works pretty well.

Drinkability: a very smooth and drinkable brew. It's not as stouty as most American stouts, but it's really hitting the spot for me right now.

4.43/5  rDev +19.7%

1 pt 6floz brown bottle into guinness tulip pint. nothing like an import right from the source, right? well tough luck, because this bastard is from America's Hat.

A - very dark brown, and a little less light coming through the bottom than this guy's brother draught. tan/medium brown head is recalcitrant and doesn't really want to form, no matter how high up one holds the bottle. some does form and eventually settles down pretty quickly without much larcing.

S - nose is pretty one sided and bland: just roasted malts and a small coffee presence.

T - I dont know what has happened, I always remembered this beer as being larger that life and unreasonably bitter and flavorful, maybe it needs to warm up but the taste is hardly what I remember. initial taste is slight malts, slight caramel in that, and a big hop presence that makes it just bitter enough. the finish is semi-malty with a good touch of those hops.
aftertaste has some distinctive copper notes, metallic in general but I can signal out the copper for sure. that was weird to notice, and almost unpleasant. eventually the taste fades out to a slight bitterness. a good beer no doubt, but dont go looking for a revelation in flavour depth; all the guinness products have one way to look at them, and that view can be boring at times.

MF&D - this is how a dry stout should taste. period. it is thick, it has subtle large carbonation and there is no way to chuck this beer without some serious belching. this is the body, texture, and drinking experience for which others should strive.

3.55/5  rDev -4.1%

I'm very impressed , especially having a dos equis and a becks , this is shitting on those imports.

Appearance is very black with a creamy brown foam head that just stays, no light can penetrate the darkness!

Smells creamy, chocolaty, and coffeeish all at the same time also sweet roasted malt.

Taste is slightly euro skunky at the beginning then moves to roasted malt taste followed by some coffee flavor that lingers.

Mouthfeel is pretty heavy , but that's what I expect from a stout. flows nicely

Drinkability is ok on this one , I have an issue with the coffee after taste , I suggest you eat something with this brew, maybe it'll make it more drinkable.

Overall pretty good

2.7/5  rDev -27%

Had this style of Guinness for the first time after being extremely disappointed by the Guinness Draught (a complete and utter 'F' IMO. Easlily one of the worst beers I've ever had). Thought I'd try the "actual" Guiness before completely writing them off.

That being said, I went into this one completely wanting to hate this beer. I walked away pleasantly surprised, however I still don't know what the fuss is all about with this.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Ruby red/brown color with a decent cream colored fluffy head. Head has nice retention and leaves some lacing rings down the glass. Not very dark for a stout.

S: I don't get much from the smell. A bit of malt/coffee and maybe a little sweetness.

T: Pretty roasted and bitter. Hops definitely come through as does a bit of unexpected sweetness. The aftertaste is surprisingly nice as well, finishes bitter and dry. Pretty smooth, but too thin for my taste.

M: Too thin. I really get turned off from stouts this watery and light.

D: Goes down well.

Overall, better than I had anticipated, but I couldn't see myself drinking this regularly.

Thanks, Dad!

A: Fittingly served in my (filched) Guinness glass, this beer is a very deep reddish brown with a lighter shade of the same for highlights. A 3-finger thick light brown head smartly fills the glass, falling away to a disk, leaving a little lace behind

S: A robust roasted malt with a bitter edge, balanced by a smooth, creamy character and a faint tartness. Mild dark chocolate and coffee is present. Very nicely done.

T: Opens with a burnt malt and a very interesting cherry and cherry skin flavor. I'm not sure where it's from, but this beer is closer to 65 degrees right now. The combination of the fruitiness and the bitter malt make for a unique beer. Mild coffee with dark chocolate follows, before a long, bitter, burnt finish. Awesome stuff

M: A touch overcarbonated, but the medium-light body and the finish work well.

D: I'm not sure how many I could drink, but I'd say at least two. I definitely enjoy this.

2.83/5  rDev -23.5%

Appearance - A thin-looking brown-black with excessive carbonation resulting in a two-finger head.

Smell - Not really much here. This was my gateway beer and I forgot how little it really has to offer compared to other dry stouts. Roast, grainy.

Taste - Burnt stuff. Ashy charcoal type flavors with a harsh roastiness and a bitter, almost tannic astringent taste. Maybe a hint of sweetness, but almost nothing in the coffee/chocolate departments.

Mouthfeel - Overly fizzy and watery to my tastes.

Drinkability - Reasonably high due to the light body and the dry finish, but the burnt taste pushes me away after a third of a glass.

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark brown with reddish tints. Fair amount of lacing.

S: Roastiness and fruity sweetness.

T: Starts fruity and sweet, finishes bitter and astringent. Roasty aftertaste.

M: Rather thin but still somewhat creamy.

D: An OK dry stout.

3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

Guinness Extra Stout pours black with a little brown and red around the edges and a thick 2 finger tan head that stayed throughout most of the drink. light lacing.

smells of burnt coffee. some sour graininess

taste is dominated by sour grains and roasted malt, slightly resembling bitter coffee. unfortunately, any depth of character is masked by that strange sourness. it's almost like rye, but a little off-putting.

mouthfeel crisp, watery, and dry.

yea, there are much better complex, darker, richer beers out there, but this one is just a classic. one i have to pick up every few months.

overall a great beer

4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

Pretty much the beer that steered me away from Bud/Miller/Coors and turned me onto something different. Appearance is pretty much black, a little bit of red/ruby around the edges when held up to the light but still you can't see through it. When poured it produces a pretty big head that fairly quickly get reduced to about a one finger very light tan colored head that is frothy and rocky looking. Head has good retention and leaves nice lacing. The smell is mainly dominated by roasted malts and other roasted smells. Some coffee is there as well as maybe a bit of chocolate and nuts. Taste is very roasted tasting just like the smell. Coffee is there as well but most of all is all just has a roasted taste to it. Pretty strong but I like it. Mouthfeel is creamy, not as creamy as on tap but still creamy. If this is your type of thing then this one is very drinkable, and for me it's my thing. ABV not to low or to high, makes for a perfect beer to drink all night or just have one or two. Might not be the best Irish Dy Stout out there but it's definitely one of my favorites.

Appearance: black and nearly opaque with some ruby highlights. The head is light brown, moderate in size, rich and creamy. Fair retention followed by nice lacing.
Aroma: very nice roasted malt aroma with coffee notes.
Taste: toasted malts and the herbal bitter hops. Coffee beans.
Mouthfeel: dry, average to low carbonation, moderate alcohol strength and a full body.
Finish: a nice bitter aftertaste that goes on forever.

Overall: high quality. Very nice example of a good Guinness.

3.3/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Pours a pitch black color that produces an off-white 3-finger head that dissipates slowly leaving little lacing along the pint glass. I prefer the look (and taste) of the Guinness Draught better

S: Roasted malts (though faint), minerals, raisins, molasses and thats about it...

T: Plain, roastedness, but no distinct flavors, sour notes

MF/D: I prefer Draught...light body, too carbonated

3.55/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a deep brown, nearly black color with a tan head. Head starts out large but fades to a small pillow pretty quickly. Nice sticky lacing left on the glass.

The nose on this one is pretty bland. I can smell a cold liquid in my glass, but not much else. The taste is much more pronounced, but it's not quite what I was looking form I like the smooth milky quality that normal Guinness and Beamish have, this one is too much. I understand what Guinness is trying to do here, and I'm not saying I don't appreciate it, I'm just saying it's not my thing. I get molasses and raisins, sweet malts and a slight bit of bitter chocolate or coffee.

The mouthfeel is light and sticky. Drinkability is surprisingly high, I could take down a bunch of these.

This is a decent beer. I'm not the biggest fan in the world, and I'd even go as far as to say that I'd take a normal Guinness over this anyday.

3.05/5  rDev -17.6%

Dark black like cola. Relatively still but with visible bubbles. Mocha colored foam on the head. Traditional beer nose of malt and gentle hops, nothing out of the ordinary. A little bite at the attack a bold flavor of roasted malt that finishes dry. Hints of grain in the flavor that are reminiscent of hay. Bitter aftertaste. It is tough to draw back enough and be truly objective with "Guiness" on the label, but this had some good flavors that got "undone" by the haylike flavor. I didn't care for hay flavor in my beer. Other than that it was okay.

4.4/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours black with a really nice frothy tan head. Nice lacing.

Smell: Molasses, coffee, nuts, toastiness.

Taste: Much like the smell, but with a touch of chocolate mixed in. I can't taste the hop but I can feel the bite.

Mouthfeel: I love the tingling sensation coupled with the mildly astringent bite.

I love this beer. It's easy to drink and full of flavor.

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

This is Guiness as it used to be. While many have come to love the Guinness on draft that is served nearly everywhere this is what Guiness is supposed to taste like. I first drank this brew in 11.4 oz bottles back in 1983 and while my first one took me over an hour to finish,I quickly acquired a taste for it and found myself drinking lots in the cooler weather. It has a great deal of complexity. The bitterness level is quite high but it is nicely balanced with a roasted malt that has a very strong coffee flavor along with carob and cherries. The hops are of excellent quality and it is virtually impossible to see through this brew even on a bright sunny day! This one has it all over the draught cans which aspire to deliver the draft experience but fall far short.

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a bottle into a regular 1pint glass.

Appearance: One damn dark beer! Might as well be black. Low lacing. A pretty sexy beer I might add. But that's just me.

Smell: Malts with what smells like roasted coffee of some sort. An enjoyable aroma for the most part.

Taste: Has a pretty bitter initializing taste at first, with a somewhat again, roasted coffee taste of some sort. Very Dry.

Mouthfeel: There is very little carbonation it seems which leads me to believe that's why it may be just a little 'watery' feeling.

Drinkability: I bought this in a "Build your own 6-pack" just to see how it was, and I'll be honest, I wasn't disappointed. It was worth the money and I would drink one again. Though I can't really say I'd pick this to drink while eating a meal of any sort. The taste makes it more of a stand-alone drink for me than anything.

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

A= pours a nice brownish dark color with amber highlights and a beutiful thick head that's just thin enough to sit on top of the beer. Average lacing and the head lasts just through the drink.
S= smells quite lagery to be honest. I was profiling this guy to be thicker in odor. Smells like corn and rice and slight very slight sweet malts.
T= quite a bit more powerful than the smell led on but still a little lagery. The sweet malts do come through and I find it to be a little bitter. I don't think its from the hops though.
M= smooth and crisp. Not expected.
D= great. Not a bad beer by any means but not quite as stouty as I thought it should be. Very unexpected. Igasuppose after all the RIS's that I have been drinking this is a smooth mildly flavorful alternative to a session lager. Great beer.

3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a chilled bottle into a pint glass.

A: very dark in color, pretty close to black with a thick head, that lingered a great while. Head was a nice cream color to it. Noticeable lacing.

S: Definitely could pick up the malts first, not so much the hops. There is also a sweet smell to it.

T: I could not believe how much it really reminded me of a good cup of black coffee. Tasted very similiar to burnt coffee as well, probably due to their roasting process. The bitterness does seem to linger, once it goes down. I've also noticed that it's rather dry as well.

M: Similar to that of water. Not all that wet feeling.

D: It's a good beer, just not sure if i'm feeling the dryness of it. It does linger much after. I just wish it tasted more like it smelled.

All in all, I think the appearance is the strong point of this beer.

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a chilled bottle into the center of a 12oz Guinness Glass.

Like it's more famous cousin, this Guinness is very dark brown, nearly black, and completely opaque. It has that distinct Guinness settling effect of the bubbles traveling down the glass. It is pretty to watch, but not nearly as nice as a Guinness poured from a tap. The head is slightly brown as well and full of airy bubbles--probably due to a pour into the center of the glass, not down the side. The head is settling slowly and leaving lace all around the glass.

The aroma is full of malts and perhaps some chocolate. It smells a little sweeter than Guinness Draught.

It tastes slightly sweet, but mostly bitter. There is a coffee aftertaste.

The beer feels mostly watery, with a slight coating. This isn't a big complex stout, it goes down quickly an easily.

This bottle is form the first six pack of Guinness Extra Stout I've ever had. It is an acceptable stout, but if you are going to drink Guinness at home, I would recommend the Draught nitro-cans. The appearance is the best part of this beer, and even there it doesn't perform as well as Draught.

2.63/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Dark brown, mostly opaque. 3 or more fingers of brown head rise with great retention and low to moderate lacing.

S - Old coffee and burnt bread. Nothing more, nothing less.

T - Mild, bittersweet chocolate comprises early to mid palate flavors. By late palate the flavor devolves into a basic and one dimensional char, like some extremely burnt bread. A rough roasty bitterness accompanies the char with hints of stale coffee. Acrid in the the finish with more harsh bitterness and oddly enough raisins in the aftertaste. Still lots of char and some coffee.

M - On the light side of medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel accenuates char and acrid flavors.

D - Again, there's just too much of the roasted flavors going on here. Lots of one dimensional roasted acridness, harsh flavors of used coffee grounds, etc. make for a rather unappealing beverage. Many people may love the dirt-on-burnt-toast flavor of Guinness but it is certainly not for me. Next, really, pleasse!

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.