Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
3.69/5  rDev -0.3%

This is a black brew that only barely lets in a little deep brown in the edges through the light. The retention in this one is phenomenal, just a sticky, dense pillow of just over a finger the whole way. Lacing is left spottily all the way to the bottom of the glass.
Like a good stout, I get some barley-type grains in a strong malt backbone in the nose with a smoky note of roasted something; coffee, perhaps.
The malt is the backbone of the flavor as well, supported by a light hops presence that can't stand up to it. There's just a bit of sweetness from dark fruits underneath and in the finish. Under the malt are a smoky burnt flavor and barley.
This one has a fuller, sturdier body than the Guinness Draft crafted for the American macro drinker. Nice and decently thick with a bit of crispness, even.
This is a better Guinness than most Americans know.

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured mine with a huge 3 finger head. Totally black but lets some light in on the edges

Smells like a burnt lager. I cant detect any malt or hops really. Rather neutral smell.

Tastes like dark roasted malts and a nice hop bitterness that dries as you drink.

Mouthfeel is thick and chewy

Drinkability- not far from easy

3.1/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber poured in an Amstel glass.

Pours a dark opaque black with no head, just a bit of lacing. The nose is a bit odd, it's pretty sweet and slightly malty/toasty.

The taste is also pretty odd. It's pretty sharp and sweet, it leaves my lips a bit sticky. Very surprising that it's at 6%abv. After having the 250 & draught I think this is the worst. I'll be looking for the foreign extra stout next.

3.15/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours a dark brown with an off white head that leaves some lacing around the glass.

Smell is of coffee and roasted malts

Taste is similar to how it smells but with some hop notes present
very weak body.

Mouthfeel is decent

Overall an easy drinking beer with some character. It's not an extra stout but more of a weak stout. I've had porters with more body and flavor.

3.97/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours black. A little watery. Rocky yellow head is gone within seconds.

Smell is sweet and malty. Reminds me of just straight up good craft beer. Light blended roastiness/chocolateyness.

Taste has a background of faint dark chocolate. Like something you'd get at a bakery. Hops are fairly present. Like a dulled down cascade type bitterness. Finishes totally dry like soda water, but not in a bad way that would indicate poor water quality.

Mouthfeel is medium-light and prickly. Drinkability is quite good, as the beer is both flavorful and accomodatable by almost any palate. A little bit for everybody: it's guinness so newbie drinkers will order it, it's dry enough to keep it drinkable, and it's flavorful enough to keep me interested.

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Dark brown/black colour, thick, creamy small head that is beige, and lots of lacing.

Aroma is rather subtle, but has both roasted notes and notes of coffee and chocolate and a cler prescence of hops in it.

Flavour is full of coffee a bit of smoke and a crisp hoppy bitterness that is appealing. The body is a bit weak though, this keeps it from getting a higher mark.

Mouthfeel is neither bad or good, just plain average.

This is a good stout, but there are loads and loads of better ones out there.

2.63/5  rDev -28.9%

A: Dark brown (but nowhere near black), the liquid is clear. A medium-sized off-white and rather airy head settles into small lacings.

S: Dark malts with a gentle roasted character, and notes of chocolate, wood and dark fruits. Perhaps a hint of caramel.

T: The taste is bland from start to finish. A fragile semi-sweet malty backbone with a mild bready and roasted character. A hint of fruitiness mixes with quite a lot of caramel. Perhaps a hint of wood. The finish is mildly bitter, but since the bitterness has nothing to play with, it seems out of place. The beer finishes with a mild hint of hops and a prominent taste of minerals.

M: Moderate body, lots of carbonation with unpleasantly sharp bubbles. Medium-dry finish. This not good, not good at all.

D: This might be one of the most insipid stouts I've ever encountered. It lacks flavor, aromas, mouthfeel, everything. It's not bad, it's just plain old boring. This one would stand out as meaningless in a whole universe of nothingness.

3.4/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Guinness Extra Stout pours a smooth silky black in a classic English pint glass. Lots of toasted malt and some burnt chocolate aroma.

For the novice: A standard....a taste of the brand that made St. James Gate famous.

Personally: Guinness Extra and its child (nitro dry Guinness) are default beers, you can't go wrong.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

24 oz. bottle, can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet,

A: Pours red/black with a solid finger of light tan head, some lace, good head retention.

S: Coffee, roasted malt, charcoal.

T: Heavy roasted black malt bitterness with a light sour fruit/cherry character. Hop flavour is very mild. The bitterness can be too much at times, not always balanced, but a good overall flavour.

M: Relatively smooth, medium-bodied, nowhere near as creamy as the Draught.

D: A classic and the first beer I ever bought legally when I turned 21. Not the best stout, but nowhere near the worst, the fact that it is quite inexpensive means that I'll probably pick it up again. A nice simple pint.

3.91/5  rDev +5.7%

poured from bottle into mug.

this version is WAY better than the draught imo. similar in taste taste and smell but mouthfeel is much better than the nitro.

nice big head stays around long, slighty brown. body is cola dark. everything else is very similar to the draught except the mouthfeel which is more soda like in the extra stout.

3.91/5  rDev +5.7%

Consumed 8/6/09- from notes.

Brown 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Very dark black with a burly foamy light brown head that eventually settled to about a quarter inch for the rest of the glass. Fantastic lacing.

S- Kind of a roasted toffee aroma.

T- Some coffee, roasted malts, a little chocolate and another spicy taste that despite how many I've had over the years I cant nail down.

M- Very smooth, finishes a little bitter and a little dry.

D- Super easy to drink, been my session beer on countless occasions.

A - Pours a deep black beer with a generous frothy sandy brown head into guinness glass. looks just like the pics!

S - Coffee, burnt toast, malt, bread...

T&M - Big full mouthfeel. lots of carbonation, and lots of malty goodness. bitter on the front (hops), sweet on the finish (malt). tastes of expresso, coffee, burnt toast, charcoal, etc. all good flavors, noting off or offensive at all.

D - This is a classic. Personally, if you're going to drink a Guinness in the States, drink the Extra Stout. It's better than the other forms that are imported. Of course, when in rome, (or i guess thats ireland in this case) please, by all means necessary, drink a regular guinness! great well-roundedness, drinkable, big, full flavored, and solid. when your not quite sure what else to drink, you'll never be disappointed with this one...

I'll have another.

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Dark black with thick foamy cappucino-colored head. leaves alot of lacing

S: alot of roasted grain with a hint of coffee

T: sweet malt upfront soon balanced with alot of hops. leaves a roasty, hoppy aftertaste

M: full body and smooth up front with a dry finish

Overall, this beer brings it back to the basics. Good solid & reliable stout. Good drinkability and flavor.

2.58/5  rDev -30.3%

Pours a very dark colour with red tinge and fringes, thin ochre head that sits pretty defiantly as a crown, kind of like coffee crema in its appearance. Lacing is thick but wet, leaves some almost crystalline traces here and there. Looks pretty decent.

Nose is roasted and tart, with some carcinogenic burnt aromas, has a kind of chlorine character, blending with sweet dark chocolate and some dark fruit, glacé cherries and toffee. A bit of a confused nose, not quite one thing or the other. I think maybe a bit more of a roasted character dominating the sweetness would make it more robust and enjoyable. Not bad though.

Taste is quite a dark affair. Starts fairly sweet and meek, with fairly flavoursome chocolate notes suggesting themselves, descends into a really quite sour dark roasted flavour, with resiny notes and hints of walnuts, licorice and a funny salty character. Has an odd and quite unpleasant "off" character on the linger like rotting vegetable matter, very savoury and astringent.

The palate does have a sort of journey to it, but it feels unbalanced, like the flavours don't blend into each other very well. Overriding it all is that funky sour character which is quite off-putting really, it's very potent and robust here, and blended with the burnt malt character is a real struggle for the palate to enjoy.

Mouthfeel quite light, fairly smooth I guess, but very little body in spite of 6% and a lot of dark malt. I respect this for giving me more flavour than the draught but even still it feels like a watered-down stout. The robust flavour is more insipid, and the tartness is a pale shadow of what could be a powerful earthy bitterness.

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

I just dont see how you can go wrong with a Guinness. Poured into glass.. VERY dark with a great head that lasted towards the end. Really enjoyable.. thick and tasty, like a beer should be.

While I personally thought my last Guinness Extra Draught was a little bit better then this one I am sure gonna give it another try very soon to see if the Extra Stout will win in the end.. Whoever wins I would always recommend both of these great beers.

3.06/5  rDev -17.3%

This pours dark with a light head. I don't know how i feel about the carbonation in this. i do like nitro with stouts and i guess i'm used to it, the carbonation just seems like too much for me.
This smells very roasty and maybe almost burnt. The taste is a little too roasted for me and i don't mind the bitterness but i think i like reg guinness or murphys type stouts that offer more sweetness and smoothness. I do also get hints of spice and maybe some chocolate but not very noticeable for me
Its still pretty drinkable but nothing spectacular.
overall i see how this is more true to how a stout should be but its just not my thing.

3.33/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Room temp
Bottle to pint glass

Appearance: As I poured the brew came out very smoothly allowing for a nice soft pour, even still once I began pouring down the middle of the glass the almond colored medium density head began to build immediately so much that I had to slow my pour lest I overflow the glass, when I was finished the head was nearly 2 fingers, but faded to about ¼ inch leaving a medium lace that clings to the side.

Smell: I smelled a very strong dark or chocolate malts, there was some caramel sweetness but it was hidden, what I noticed the most was the heavy spice of the hops. The hops was fairly strong but not completely overbearing, I noticed what seemed like another spice in there as well but it might have been just a very heavy hop. I did not smell any alcohol in the brew.

Taste: I really didn't notice much of the sweetness that I smelled initially, there was a very robust malt taste that competed with the bitterness of the hops. The level of bitterness was not offensive in fact it seemed well balanced, but the bitterness held throughout and seems the one constant in this brew, even as I write this almost 15 minutes after finishing I can still feel and taste some of the bitterness in my mouth. There seemed to be some very rich licorice taste which was probably a mixture between the malts and the hops. This is certainly a full bodied brew, but there is a spice in the taste that I simply cannot put my finger on. I also did not notice any alcohol taste.

Mouthfeel: This stout has a thick feel to it but certainly not tarish. The carbonation is about medium as it fizzes on my lips and tongue. There is also a thin layer of diacetyl that is left at finish, but once gone the Extra Stout leaves the mouth dry.

Drinkability: This is where I think this brew suffers, the complexity of this brew means that it is really in my opinion an acquired taste. I cannot honestly say that this stout went down easy, and with the residual bitterness in my mouth now 20 minutes later I don't know if I would want that on a regular basis.

Re-reviewed on 1/15/2011. The last time I reviewed this I am pretty sure I had an infected bottle as it was pretty sour and unpleasant.

Poured from 22oz bottle into a mug.

Appearance: very dark brown, bordering on black, with a thick finger of foamy tan head. Quite a solid stout.

Smell: roasted malt with nutty and caramelly qualities; quite like a rich nut brown ale. Hops are basically undetectable on the nose.

Taste: sweetish malt flavor with a bit of caramel and nuttiness. Roast is not present until the very end, when a nice, acrid (in a good way) roast dries out the finish. Bitterness relatively low but well-balanced.

Mouthfeel: medium to medium-light body with a fairly solid carbonation level. The feel is a little more fizzy than creamy but I think it works pretty well.

Drinkability: a very smooth and drinkable brew. It's not as stouty as most American stouts, but it's really hitting the spot for me right now.

4.38/5  rDev +18.4%

1 pt 6floz brown bottle into guinness tulip pint. nothing like an import right from the source, right? well tough luck, because this bastard is from America's Hat.

A - very dark brown, and a little less light coming through the bottom than this guy's brother draught. tan/medium brown head is recalcitrant and doesn't really want to form, no matter how high up one holds the bottle. some does form and eventually settles down pretty quickly without much larcing.

S - nose is pretty one sided and bland: just roasted malts and a small coffee presence.

T - I dont know what has happened, I always remembered this beer as being larger that life and unreasonably bitter and flavorful, maybe it needs to warm up but the taste is hardly what I remember. initial taste is slight malts, slight caramel in that, and a big hop presence that makes it just bitter enough. the finish is semi-malty with a good touch of those hops.
aftertaste has some distinctive copper notes, metallic in general but I can signal out the copper for sure. that was weird to notice, and almost unpleasant. eventually the taste fades out to a slight bitterness. a good beer no doubt, but dont go looking for a revelation in flavour depth; all the guinness products have one way to look at them, and that view can be boring at times.

MF&D - this is how a dry stout should taste. period. it is thick, it has subtle large carbonation and there is no way to chuck this beer without some serious belching. this is the body, texture, and drinking experience for which others should strive.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

I'm very impressed , especially having a dos equis and a becks , this is shitting on those imports.

Appearance is very black with a creamy brown foam head that just stays, no light can penetrate the darkness!

Smells creamy, chocolaty, and coffeeish all at the same time also sweet roasted malt.

Taste is slightly euro skunky at the beginning then moves to roasted malt taste followed by some coffee flavor that lingers.

Mouthfeel is pretty heavy , but that's what I expect from a stout. flows nicely

Drinkability is ok on this one , I have an issue with the coffee after taste , I suggest you eat something with this brew, maybe it'll make it more drinkable.

Overall pretty good

2.66/5  rDev -28.1%

Had this style of Guinness for the first time after being extremely disappointed by the Guinness Draught (a complete and utter 'F' IMO. Easlily one of the worst beers I've ever had). Thought I'd try the "actual" Guiness before completely writing them off.

That being said, I went into this one completely wanting to hate this beer. I walked away pleasantly surprised, however I still don't know what the fuss is all about with this.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Ruby red/brown color with a decent cream colored fluffy head. Head has nice retention and leaves some lacing rings down the glass. Not very dark for a stout.

S: I don't get much from the smell. A bit of malt/coffee and maybe a little sweetness.

T: Pretty roasted and bitter. Hops definitely come through as does a bit of unexpected sweetness. The aftertaste is surprisingly nice as well, finishes bitter and dry. Pretty smooth, but too thin for my taste.

M: Too thin. I really get turned off from stouts this watery and light.

D: Goes down well.

Overall, better than I had anticipated, but I couldn't see myself drinking this regularly.

Thanks, Dad!

A: Fittingly served in my (filched) Guinness glass, this beer is a very deep reddish brown with a lighter shade of the same for highlights. A 3-finger thick light brown head smartly fills the glass, falling away to a disk, leaving a little lace behind

S: A robust roasted malt with a bitter edge, balanced by a smooth, creamy character and a faint tartness. Mild dark chocolate and coffee is present. Very nicely done.

T: Opens with a burnt malt and a very interesting cherry and cherry skin flavor. I'm not sure where it's from, but this beer is closer to 65 degrees right now. The combination of the fruitiness and the bitter malt make for a unique beer. Mild coffee with dark chocolate follows, before a long, bitter, burnt finish. Awesome stuff

M: A touch overcarbonated, but the medium-light body and the finish work well.

D: I'm not sure how many I could drink, but I'd say at least two. I definitely enjoy this.

2.85/5  rDev -23%

Appearance - A thin-looking brown-black with excessive carbonation resulting in a two-finger head.

Smell - Not really much here. This was my gateway beer and I forgot how little it really has to offer compared to other dry stouts. Roast, grainy.

Taste - Burnt stuff. Ashy charcoal type flavors with a harsh roastiness and a bitter, almost tannic astringent taste. Maybe a hint of sweetness, but almost nothing in the coffee/chocolate departments.

Mouthfeel - Overly fizzy and watery to my tastes.

Drinkability - Reasonably high due to the light body and the dry finish, but the burnt taste pushes me away after a third of a glass.

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark brown with reddish tints. Fair amount of lacing.

S: Roastiness and fruity sweetness.

T: Starts fruity and sweet, finishes bitter and astringent. Roasty aftertaste.

M: Rather thin but still somewhat creamy.

D: An OK dry stout.

3.26/5  rDev -11.9%

Guinness Extra Stout pours black with a little brown and red around the edges and a thick 2 finger tan head that stayed throughout most of the drink. light lacing.

smells of burnt coffee. some sour graininess

taste is dominated by sour grains and roasted malt, slightly resembling bitter coffee. unfortunately, any depth of character is masked by that strange sourness. it's almost like rye, but a little off-putting.

mouthfeel crisp, watery, and dry.

yea, there are much better complex, darker, richer beers out there, but this one is just a classic. one i have to pick up every few months.

overall a great beer

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.