Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: guinness33 on 11-12-2000)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
TongoRad

3.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I picked up a sixer for St. Patty's Day- the first time I've had the Extra Stout in more than 10 years. I sincerely hoped that the first sip would bring it all back; unfortunately that was not to be the case. It took a couple of bottles to get into the swing of things- this is still a pretty good session-type beer- but the comparisson to the old days is unavoidable.

So...what have we got here anyway?
Into a Guinness-branded tulip pint the contents of the bottle were poured. The thick tan head reached the lip of the glass- at least 2"- and stuck around for quite a few minutes. The color is a translucent brownish black that easily lets light through.

Aroma is predominantly roast barley. No caramel but some creamy malt is presemt underneath. Some figs and the faintest hint of diacetyl lurk way in the background.

The palate is all about the roast malt and the bitterness. The texture is smooth and velvety. The fruit and diacetyl come on late and linger in the finish.

This beer actually gets better after a few, though ultimately I am left with the sensation that it has been turned down a notch or two.

03-25-2006 01:40:47 | More by TongoRad
acarroll413

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

poured from a 12 oz bottle to a glass

A- i was disappointed, but maybe i'm just used to seeing the nitro bottle, but there wasn't that cool change color thing that i like guinness so much for. well the color of the beer was like super thick cola, with a tan head, which was not as big as i would have liked.

S- malt malt malt

T&M- i was disappointed again. blast! it was thick, but it didn't have as heavy of a coffee like roasted flavor as guinness draught. in fact, the only flavors i tasted in here were malt and bitterness. i was very disappointed. it felt good in the mouth though, nice and thick.

D- i vastly prefer the guinness draught, so i wont drink this again.

03-24-2006 06:00:55 | More by acarroll413
TurdFurgison

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

I had this on tap in Swindon, UK in early 2006. Although I've tried this beer many dozens of times in the States, this was the first time in the UK. I was hoping for it to be dramatically different but it wasn't.

Appearance was good, black liquid with creamy tan head. Smell and taste were exactly the same though. The best attribute this beer has is its creamy mouthfeel. It feels good to drink it, and is just thin enough that you can drink a lot of it.

03-23-2006 12:10:29 | More by TurdFurgison
JayQue

This is more like the Guinness I remember drinking in Ireland 30 years ago. The Draught is pretty thin and the taste (served cold in a frosted bar glass) isn't very memorable. The Extra Stout pours a black color with no light coming through. The head starts out large and thick and settles down to just covering the glass. Lacing is in sheets across the glass. Mild aroma of malt, nothing strong. I drank it room temperature, the way I remember it served in Ireland. The taste is mild, some bitterness and a mild malt flavor. I'm not great on describing taste, but there is almost a coffee type taste here. The longer you let it sit, the better it tastes. Mouthfeel is average to mildly rich. Drinkability is good. I drank it "geek style" in front of the computer. If I could get it at room temperature at a bar, it would be a great session drink, especially in a room full of good storytellers or people who like to argue politics.

03-22-2006 01:06:50 | More by JayQue
clemtig76

South Carolina

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

What would St. Patty's day be without a Guinness? Had to have one or two. Pours a deep, dark brownish black with a thick sticky tan head. Stickly lacing clings to the glass. Smell is of dark chocolate, coffee, caramel malt. Taste is full, rich and dry, very well balanced between the dark roasted malts and bitter hops. I'll pass on the bottled draught, this is the only Guinness for me.

03-21-2006 20:45:47 | More by clemtig76
hanco005

2.53/5  rDev -31.6%

Picked this up to compare with the Guinness draft nitro can and the Beamish stout nitro can. 1 pint 6 fl oz bottle into a pint glass

A—pours almost solid black with 2 1/s inch foamy tan head. The head looks like a cola flavored ICEE. The head is slowly fading down, leaving sheets of lacing behind.

S—interesting enough, not as strong as the other two stouts mentioned above, aroma is very faint and does not have the coffee/chocolate smell I am used to in a stout. It smells sweet, oat and malt can be noticed, but not much else. Perhaps the beer is too cold? It just came from the fridge

T—bitter, a little alkaline, very mild dark roasted coffee hints, but not really anything else

M—like a really bitter soft drink, a little thin, wasn’t expecting the high amount of carbonation, my tongue tingles with each sip

D—didn’t care for this one as much…perhaps because the other two mentioned above were nitro cans and very smooth and mellow. I will try this on tap if I can find it, but will not have the bottle again. Overall, a disappointment. It was chore to finish this one.

03-20-2006 03:22:43 | More by hanco005
hunteraw

China

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Rediscovering this beer after a long hiatus during which I'd convinced myself that I preferred their draught. I have now revised that judgement.

A - Brown head! Almost opaque, ruby tinting when held up to a light

S - Sweet nose, chocolate and roastiness

T - Tastes like it smells - roast, chocolate, coffee... hops comes in at the end to balance the malt and prevent an overly sweet, malty aftertaste.

M - Not as creamy as their draught, but thick mouthfeel and a taste that sticks to your tongue - and your ribs!

D - Not a sessioner for me, personally. Too easy to fill up - a few of these is a meal! Stouts aren't my favorite style, but this went down pretty easy.

03-19-2006 03:40:03 | More by hunteraw
taez555

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

This beer poured a dark blackish/brown body with a thick foamy off-white tan head. Almost pours a coca cola type color before it settles in the glass.

Nose is soft but has touches of roasted malt, some chocolate and even faint hints of coffee.

Taste is medium bodied with a sharp attack of dark roasted malt bitterness. Smooth easy drinking burnt malt, espresso beans and faint dark chocolate. Hints of a metallic bitterness come out. Little whisps of an earthy hop sneak out from time to time but mostly remain hidden under the dark burnt malt flavor. Very dry and very smooth. Ends surprisingly soft with a mild spike of bitterness.

I had one of these back to back with the Draught and it's a difference of night and day. So much better. Classic dry stout, almost more of a big porter. It's amazing people they're even brewed by the same brewery.

03-19-2006 01:41:54 | More by taez555
gbarron

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle on St. Patrick's Day.

A - completely black and opaque. Looks like a glass of coffee, but with a thick, bubbly tan head. Bubbles are very large, head turns rocky after some time, with flashes of whiteness. Excellent lacing. Head remains the entire way down.

S - roasty, toasty, chocolate, coffee. Smell of dark, strong brewed coffee. Little hop aroma if any.

T - tart and tangy, very distinct from the draft version. Tart bitterness hits your tongue first, followed by tangy, almost sour, dry, roasty bitterness from the malt. Taste of roasted coffee. Slight earthy hoppiness, but very faint.

M - medium bodied, carbonation seems excessive. Very bubble and tingly. Dry.

D - well, it's the definitive Irish dry stout and a highly quaffable brew considering its unique flavor, low alcohol, and smoothness.

03-18-2006 18:01:53 | More by gbarron
jslot38

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

12 oz bottle to American Pint Glass,

Nothing like a Guinness from Canada to celebrate St. Patty's day right?

Appearance: Pours a liquid black body with an off white almost tan head which is at first frothy, layers down to a nice thick head that remains throughout. Lacing is pretty average, certainly not spectacular. Doesn't cascade like it would from the tap.

Smell: Not the most friendly of smells. Thick molasses drowned out the otherwise nice smell of toffy and chocolate. Some earthy tones also intermingled in this otherwise average smelling beer.

Taste: Good level of oily hops for a stout, almost perfect on this end. The traditional malt tastes however lacked a bit; backing of toffee, raisins, biscuit, and chocolate covered coffee beans.

Mouthfeel: Nice level of carbonation, pretty slick and smooth.

Drinkability & Notes: After 3 of these I was ready for something else. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them and would recommend them (especially at $7.50 for a 6pack its a great deal when you don't have many options in the stout catagory). I just felt a little full and decided to leave the other 3 for another night, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Let me say this, went well with a few scoops of vanilla ice cream dropped in.

03-18-2006 05:34:44 | More by jslot38
plaztikjezuz

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

bought at world market in lansing, michigan.
pours black with a beige head that has dropped in to a thin sheet.
the aroma malty, roasty, hint of plum.
the flavor is roasty, coffee, bitter, hop spice, malt, chocolate.
the mouthfeel is what i would expect from a guinness.
beer is very drinkable, enjoyed best on a cool night.

03-18-2006 03:44:57 | More by plaztikjezuz
Redrover

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

12 oz brown bottle no freshness dating.. Product of Canada. The beer pours a jet black with a massive chiffon like head. Excellent lacing. Top notch looker here.The nose is if roasted almost burnt malts, coffee and a bit of dark chocolate.The taste is redolent of heavily roasted malts. Almost a bit nutty. The bitterness kicks in after a few sips which adds a nice balance. Dry finish. This is a standard in my opinion. The mouth is smooth. Not as creamy as its nitro driven sister, but the trade-off is worth it for the extra taste. Very sessionable. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

03-17-2006 23:57:49 | More by Redrover
dreadnatty08

District of Columbia

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours the characteristic jet black Guinness color with a cappucino white head chunky head. Aromas are mild. I'm picking up some roasted malt, a little chocolate and that's about it. Carbonation is on the lower end. Mouthfeel is slick and somewhat heavy, coating the entire mouth. Dryness, I imagine, is what this beer is shooting for, and it succeeds tremendously. However, I don't see so much depth in flavor and complexity. This is the type of beer I wish I pared with some food because it doesn't really go well on its own. Well, I'm glad I chose to try this style for the first time on St. Pattys Day and give it a review. For its steep price, I wouldn't choose this over a cheaper domestic stout, but its presence in most bars will give me a good standby.

03-17-2006 20:25:52 | More by dreadnatty08
oldirtycaffrey

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Had one from a 22oz bottle & loved it, even though I'd prefer to have tried it from a tap. Appearance is black, smell has a slight roasted malt aroma, and it's taste is slightly bitter with traces of chocolate/coffee. Mouthfeel is great -- not a lot of carbonation and goes down smooth. Overall, I enjoyed this slightly more than Guinness Draught b/c of the higher ABV%. :) Has a full flavor which will warm you up, and enough of a bite to calm you down. I don't know if that makes sense...

03-17-2006 11:37:42 | More by oldirtycaffrey
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev -13.5%

A - Dark, but not pitch black. Seems to be a really dark redding colour. Head is unimpressive as is the retention and lacing.

S - Lots of fruit and and molasses. Toasted sugar aromas.

T - Quite dry and bitter. Hop and toasted bitterness are both notable. Tastes "burnt" more than "toasted"

M - Light, dry. Carbonation is low.

D - Perhaps this kind of stout is not my thing. Seems a little bland compared to some other kinds of stouts.

03-17-2006 03:18:59 | More by allergictomacros
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.55/5  rDev -4.1%

I'll try to not hold it against the fact this is Canadian, we gonna start seeing Molsons from Dublins soon??

Pours mahogany to black with a 3 fingers plus tanhead milkshake like head. Great lacing and good head retention

Smell: Toasted malt & that's it

Taste: Toasted malt, slight fruittiness and iron taste. Some licorice and chocolate notes

MF: Slightly creamy with oily notes. Good carbonation

Pretty drinkable but too heavy to make a session choice. Not bad, but I'm guessing this wouldn't sell near as much here if folks knew it was coming from the emerald isle, caveat emptor. Preferable to the original druaght, but I'd just as soon have an obsidian stout...

03-15-2006 04:39:42 | More by russpowell
scottoale

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

The 650ml brown bottle states: Product of Canada, this is news to me.

Pours a hefty black bubbling liquid with a two finger brown head, plenty of lacing with this one.

Smells of bitter chocolate, coffee and roasted malt through and through.

Bitter chocolate, dark roasted coffee with a light malt, dry hop finish. A fairly robust, full bodied stout if there ever was one. Tasty and very filling. Dry and bitter after tastes.

A velvety rich mouthfeel, leaves a little tingle on the tongue as it dissapates on down to the finish.

This stuff tastes the same to me now, as it did 30 years ago...good stout.

03-11-2006 07:05:41 | More by scottoale
DogFood11

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

Jet black, brown head leaves sticky brillo pad lacing, looks silky smooth.

Has some brown type characteristics, even some nut aroma. Toasted malts are up front, Creamy, sharp ending. Pretty hoppy, lemon type finish. It's an inbetween beer for me, by that I mean its a quality beer and I enjoy it but I find that I pass it over more times than not because there are far more attractive offerings available.

I prefer this over the draught version, more girth and meat on the bones.

03-07-2006 02:57:46 | More by DogFood11
Metalmonk

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

You can always get a rocky, creamy tan head from a well-poured Guinness, and this time I got it. It retained very well. Looks like a stout: blacker than black, impenetrably dark.

Smell is clean malt up front, hints of cocoa in back, that peculiar Guinness smokiness is there though not as strong as I remember. (I haven't had one of these for years.)

Well-balanced flavors here: chocolate, coffee, malts, brown sugar, and a slight hint of something I can only call smoke. What helps make this one I like to return to often is a round berry-like succulence. It's all fairly mild in punch, a mellow and easy-going stout.

Mouthfeel is watery, which is not how I remember this beer, so perhaps my palate has changed due to all those Tripels and Imperial Stouts...or maybe I should try one on tap.

This is a solid stout, if a little tame for my wilder tastes.

03-06-2006 22:21:10 | More by Metalmonk
vanrassel

Alberta (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

(This is a review of the Extra Stout brewed in Canada by Labatt.)

It poured black and utterly opaque with a frothy, two-finger head. I was disappointed with how quickly it shrank, but it never completely disappeared and left plenty of sticky rings on my pint glass.

The smell is malty with some hints of molasses and coffee. I picked up a lot of yeast that seemed to overpower the more pleasant, subtle smells. The taste started with malt sweetness that yielded to some roasted barley flavour. The finish was dry and left me feeling this is a highly drinkable beer.

I've never been to Ireland or the U.K., so I'm not able to assess how this stacks up against the real deal. As well, I'm a fairly new BA and not sure what to make of the criticisms that this beer is a shadow of its former self. (Having said that, I know a lot of that scorn is directed at Guinness Draught, which I've discovered is an entirely different beer.) For what it's worth, I was pleasantly surprised by this effort from Labatt's.

03-05-2006 17:20:41 | More by vanrassel
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Very, very black in color. Slight tan head. Paler then the head on a draft Guinness. Nice aroma-somewhat sweet roasted malt. Nicely roasted malt flavor. Nice blend of espresso with some dark chocolate thrown in. Lingering sweetness though very subtle. Good body. Not as "slick" as some stouts. A very drinkable beer. Blows the draft version we all know (and a lot of us love) away though I will admit this is a different animal. I dont buy this as often as I should.

03-04-2006 00:15:32 | More by lackenhauser
ILiveOffHops

New Hampshire

4.08/5  rDev +10.3%

12 oz bottle from the North End Superette. pours completely black with a thin head that stays as a rim around glass with some covering...minimal lacing. smells of roasted malt sweetness overpowering the hops. the taste is more balanced. slightly sticky..full frothy mouthfeel. overall great full bodied dry stout.

03-01-2006 05:35:43 | More by ILiveOffHops
harpo111

Georgia

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

this is what i consider the standard. Nice head, moderately bitter with acidic overtones/coffee like. Very drinkable. Very good with food. A classic...there are better, but if you want to start from somewhere..this is it. Only way to improve it...on tap.

02-28-2006 20:10:26 | More by harpo111
geexploitation

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

Alright, now this is what I'm talking about. After trying the Guinness Draught nitro-bottle and nitro-can, this is a wonderful change of pace: beer that's actually good.

Guinness Extra Stout pours exceedingly dark, with a substantial tan head that leaves some lace on the glass but fades fairly quickly into just a faint tracing on the top of the liquid. Nose is a pleasing blend of sweet and bitter, the sweet being composed of ripe fruit and the bitter being composed of roasted malt. The taste is deep and interesting, with an initial sweetness that's quite intense followed up by an equally intense roast malt and hop bitterness that kicks in immediately afterward and carries over to the finish. The mouthfeel of this is a bit thin, but not watery like the other Guinness options available in bottles/cans.

This is a wonderful beer. I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would buy the nitro-bottles or nitro-cans of Guinness when this is available too. I still love Guinness on tap, at least when it's done well, but if I'm drinking from a bottle I'll choose this over the other options in no time flat.

02-26-2006 04:08:25 | More by geexploitation
jmz62565

Connecticut

3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

This pours a dark brown with a white foamy head. The smell has a roasted malt aroma thats not very strong. The taste has a milky creamyness to it. The malt roast is slight with some coffee. The flavors are light. The m/f is medium and the flavors are well balanced. This is a slightly above average beer.

02-26-2006 00:30:38 | More by jmz62565
Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.