Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
jwc215

Wisconsin

3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz. bottle. Product of Canada. Poured into a Guinness Extra Stout pint glass.
It poured a dark brown - almost black - with a tan head.
The smell was thin. Not too bad, but weak. There were hints of burnt coffee - emphasis on burnt - and a tinge of alcohol in the nose.
The first sip had a robust kick of chocolate and coffee. But, starting with the second sip and every one after that, it seemed to grow weaker and more watery. It tastes like burnt dark coffee, a bad of chocolate and a raisin-like fruit essence far in the background. It left a bitter impression with just a touch of sweetness. It was not a complex taste - fairly simple.
Overall it was not bad, but nothing great. The growing market and production seems to have taken a toll on it over the years. It is not as balanced as I remember it being awhile back.
It is easily available, but there ae better craft examples of this style now.

05-12-2006 00:44:36 | More by jwc215
orfeu

New Mexico

4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

12 ounce bottle poured into a 20 ounce "pub" glass. Dark brown with russet highlights and sparse carbonation. A decently steadfast greyish-beige, clumpy and cratered head sits on top with some sticky lacing around the sides. Aromas are of hops, surprisingly, earthy and almost piney, with some roasted malt scents in the background, like bitter chocolate. The taste begins with floral and earthy hops which are quickly subsumed by a charming roasted chicory coffee character. The mouthfeel on this medium bodied stout is smooth and chewy. A nearly perfectly balanced mineral finish is followed by a lingering ghost of the roasted malt mentioned previously. It's literally been years since I've had Guinness Extra Stout. I either just wasn't in the mood for it, or I had other beers to try, but I'm glad I decided to pick this up today. For as widespread as this beer is, it is solidly brewed and quite tasty. An always welcome choice.

05-08-2006 21:56:28 | More by orfeu
bort11

Missouri

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

My friend from Ireland swears up and down by Guinness, and if you can't trust an Irishman, who can you trust.

A- Here is the real beauty of Guinness. Poured into a pint tumbler. The creamy roasted tan colored head starts at the bottom of the glass and slowly pulls itself up to the top, revealing the pure black beer beneath. For a while there is a triple layer effect with the tan head on top, brown head/beer mix in the middle, and the black beer on bottom. Real beauty.

S- It smells like what you would expect a stout to smell like, coffee, a little bit of chocolate and toffee. It is not a very strong smell. Maybe the creamy head is doing too good of a job of holding the smells in.

T- Bitter coffee and bittersweet chocolate. It's not a very strong flavor, I think the foam is also muting the flavor.

M- The head is nice and chewy, but when you get to the actual beer, it's very watery, which is very disappointing. Not a whole lot of carbonation on the tongue.

D- Guinness is a classic, but I think I've outgrown it. Not long ago I had a Guinness on tap with a steak dinner which was an excellent pairing. I think if I am going to drink Guinness again, it would have to be with a meal.

05-07-2006 01:41:43 | More by bort11
Drew966

2.4/5  rDev -35.1%

Guiness Extra Stout pours an almost black color with some lighter highlights around the edges with a thick, fluffy tan head. Aroma is disappointing, there isn't much at all. Smooth mouthfeel, but the taste just isn't doing it for me. Not the rich roasted malt flavors I seek. Just some bitter astringency and maybe some butterscotch in the finish. Disappointing.

05-01-2006 00:48:24 | More by Drew966
drotski

Maine

Poured from a bottle into a clean beer mug. Super thick, foamy tan head, with lots of lacing. The color is similar to motor oil thats 10,000 miles overdue for a change. Nice malty nose. Wonderful, almost harsh bitterness (the way I like it). A little too much carbonation. Good for a drink or two, but hard to keep drinking.

04-29-2006 03:46:41 | More by drotski
klewis

2.4/5  rDev -35.1%

A: Pours a solid black with a big foamy head. Moderate lacing.

S: Mostly malt in the nose with some coffee aromas.

T: Astringent with strong flavors of ash and burnt wood.

M: The body is about right for a dry stout, but there is tons of carbonation which gets in the way of the flavor.

D: Not a good taste, bad carbonation, hard to drink.

04-25-2006 00:37:11 | More by klewis
MSchae1017

Georgia

3.4/5  rDev -8.1%

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from a bottle.

This beer pours nearly opaque black with a huge head and thick lacing. The smell is rather sweet. The taste is also sweet up front with some lingering bitterness. I know it sounds weird but i think i almost taste some tequila in it. The Mouthfeel is decently thick. Overall, I am just not too fond of this one. I cannot compare it to other Irish Stouts but I do know that there are other stouts that I would prefer.

04-21-2006 01:34:50 | More by MSchae1017
JayTheFinn

4.3/5  rDev +16.2%

Well there's little or nothing I could add to this review-wise that hasn't already been said, so I'll just say...

This was a long time favorite of mine. So many years ago, it was the beer that made me realize beer didn't have to suck and that it didn't always have to look and smell like urine. I remember friends who had never tried it or only had a sip, being appalled that I would drink it. I think they're still drinking Bud Light to this day. It's sad. But thanks to Guinness my tastebuds took the leap and now it's become a quest of mine to try new and different styles of beer. Thank you Guinness!

04-15-2006 23:33:16 | More by JayTheFinn
afordney

Tennessee

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Dark like coke with an off-white head that retained well. nice lacing around the glass.

Smelled rich and malty, slightly smoky.

Coffee and milk came first with a slight burnt finish

Balanced mouthfeel, very full like roasted malt

I enjoyed this beer, good for cold weather will drink again.

04-14-2006 02:33:02 | More by afordney
MarkBlackout

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

A classic! I still love Extra Stout; It is available directly across the street. This is my go-to beer when I want something good without trekking into Manhattan or Williamsburg. While not as good as other stouts I've been spoiling myself with, it has a nice subtle sourness and hop profile. I prefer this to the Draught cans almost every time.

04-12-2006 01:10:30 | More by MarkBlackout
ReebShorts

Washington

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

Foamy chunky head, good retention, black brew.

Aroma is charcoal, coffee, something sweet in there too like a dark fruit, plum, raisin, something like that.

Flavor is bitter, slightly astringent, some hops here too to help finish, but still astringent on the pallette.

slightly watery mouthfeel, but very dry finish. I've had better stouts, but this one is not bad, and a classic.

Actually, just had to add, that this one does get better as it warms a bit.

04-10-2006 04:39:25 | More by ReebShorts
goochpunch

3.38/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours jet black with a fluffy, tan head. Smells fruity with an earthy aroma of roasted malt. Has an uninteresting yeast presence in the nose as well. Taste is malty with dark fruit. Nice roasted character found here. Light astringent black grain adds a tad of lingering bitterness. Drying in the finish. The mouthfeel has a nice, sturdy body, but the carbonation is kind of prickly. All-around this is OK.

04-08-2006 03:36:39 | More by goochpunch
cproioi

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

Ah the stout that started my passion for stouts. I prefer the Extra Stout to the Draught in a can or bottle. It just has an extra kick to it that I like. If this is your first try at Guinness, I do not suggest this but rather try the Draught and work your way up to the Extra Stout.

04-07-2006 04:13:08 | More by cproioi
ultralarry2006

3.4/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance : Poured from a 22. oz.'er that says it' s from Canada, not Ireland. It left a medium brown head of about an inch that quickly receded to surface skim, and thick, but ephemeral lacing. I know everyone says it's black, but it's really the darkest shade of brown possible (you can see this in bright light), and opaque (even in bright light).

Aroma : Lemony hops upfront, roasted malt struggling to assert it self. Some slight alcohol.

Taste : Lemony bitter hops at first, and then char from roasted malt. Char then gives way to breadiness, even hint of black tea. Hops and char again finish it with fruity bitterness. Also hint of alcohol, but not as bad as nose indicated. Fairly balanced, but not a bold, rich ale. Even resembles some porters I've had.

Mouthfeel : surprisingly not as full as expected, rather thin for this style, and quite a bit of carbonation. Some hop oil slickness, but not a lot.

Drinkabilty : goes down easy, but I'd only have another one at any one sitting because it would not hold my interest beyond that, then I'd have to have something else. Good stuff, but not great stuff.

04-05-2006 17:30:52 | More by ultralarry2006
seanmhogan

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Oh Guinness. Great classic. Nearly completely black and pours with a nice creamy head. It has a creamy smooth taste. I wasn't a fan of the nitro bottles. I really can't wait until i get a chance to go to Ireland in order to try this at the Brewery.

04-04-2006 01:53:25 | More by seanmhogan
daliandragon

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Although I'm not crazy about the carbonation bubbles lining the body against the glass after the pour, the head on this dry stout is impressive: a rocky, sticky, mass of tan foam with plenty of lacing residue. The color is the same dull black of all those Guinnesses I enjoyed in Eire in January. The nose isn't quite as awe inspiring. The coffee is there but overshadowed by subpar notes of grain of some sort. Overall, definitely more of a mass produced character than the more traditional draught.
Taste is more bitter than I anticipated but familiar dark toasted malt is still the major player. Mouthfeel and aftertaste are similar to the standard issue offering, which is a good thing. The additional alcohol is mostly undetectable, at least to this reviewer.
Something is missing here for me, although I can't totally put my finger on it. I wish this Guinness had a little more of the coffee flavor and general benign sweetness I've come to expect from good stouts but this is still drinkable, if slightly inferior stuff.

04-01-2006 21:31:52 | More by daliandragon
custardcb

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a rich malty jet black with a nice tan head. The head is a bit foamy and slowly breaks down. While drinking it leaves a nice lacing around the glass.

One of my main standby's so I may be a bit partial. On the other hand since I do drink it so much it is pretty neutral in flavor to me.

Aroma is of coffe and roasted barley but there is even a slightly bitter twinge in the nose. The taste is extremely rich and takes some getting used to, I know must people cringe at this at first but this is from lack of understand the nature of good bitters.

Overall I like this beer and it is a pretty rich stout. I give it my thumbs up

03-30-2006 07:17:18 | More by custardcb
jamie2dope

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Good old Guinness, I never thought i'de review this one, but what the hell right? Poured a very nice cool black...no light was getting through with this beer. Head was just about as nice as it gets, 1/2 inch white that eventually became a small white lace. Smell was quite satisfying....weak coffee, creamy milk chocolate and even a hint of marshmallow there too. Taste was very creamy while at the same time a bit rugged, with some earthiness and hops that gave it a bit if a dry bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel was medium bodied...an easy to drink stout. I cannot believe I used to consider this one a really heavy stout. Now it seems to go down like water. A not so bad choice by any means, certainly a classic stout.

03-28-2006 09:02:24 | More by jamie2dope
Tupperwolf

Washington

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a 1pint6oz bottle with an indeterminate bottling date code into a pint glass a dark brown - nearly black, as long as you're in a dim room, but if you get too near to bright light it lights up with a dull, complete reddish glow. It's capped with a nicely colored brown head of a whipped-cream consistency that collapses in on itself after a few lazy moments, but leaves nice lacing from the chunks that remain.

The aroma is surprisingly fruity for a stout - of course, there are standard stout aromas - roasted barley is dominant - but there are undertones of plums and raisins.

The flavors are a third roastiness, a third fruitiness, and a third bitterness - boom, boom, boom, there you are. Not too much complexity, but well-balanced between themselves, with perhaps a touch too much bitterness on the finish. Okay to drink.

Smooth, medium body, very minimal carbonation, almost absent save for the tiny bit of tartness it imparts on the tongue.

Over all - yep... It's a good stout. I wouldn't pick it over most others, but it is a good stout.

03-26-2006 07:14:48 | More by Tupperwolf
TongoRad

3.6/5  rDev -2.7%

I picked up a sixer for St. Patty's Day- the first time I've had the Extra Stout in more than 10 years. I sincerely hoped that the first sip would bring it all back; unfortunately that was not to be the case. It took a couple of bottles to get into the swing of things- this is still a pretty good session-type beer- but the comparisson to the old days is unavoidable.

So...what have we got here anyway?
Into a Guinness-branded tulip pint the contents of the bottle were poured. The thick tan head reached the lip of the glass- at least 2"- and stuck around for quite a few minutes. The color is a translucent brownish black that easily lets light through.

Aroma is predominantly roast barley. No caramel but some creamy malt is presemt underneath. Some figs and the faintest hint of diacetyl lurk way in the background.

The palate is all about the roast malt and the bitterness. The texture is smooth and velvety. The fruit and diacetyl come on late and linger in the finish.

This beer actually gets better after a few, though ultimately I am left with the sensation that it has been turned down a notch or two.

03-25-2006 01:40:47 | More by TongoRad
acarroll413

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

poured from a 12 oz bottle to a glass

A- i was disappointed, but maybe i'm just used to seeing the nitro bottle, but there wasn't that cool change color thing that i like guinness so much for. well the color of the beer was like super thick cola, with a tan head, which was not as big as i would have liked.

S- malt malt malt

T&M- i was disappointed again. blast! it was thick, but it didn't have as heavy of a coffee like roasted flavor as guinness draught. in fact, the only flavors i tasted in here were malt and bitterness. i was very disappointed. it felt good in the mouth though, nice and thick.

D- i vastly prefer the guinness draught, so i wont drink this again.

03-24-2006 06:00:55 | More by acarroll413
TurdFurgison

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

I had this on tap in Swindon, UK in early 2006. Although I've tried this beer many dozens of times in the States, this was the first time in the UK. I was hoping for it to be dramatically different but it wasn't.

Appearance was good, black liquid with creamy tan head. Smell and taste were exactly the same though. The best attribute this beer has is its creamy mouthfeel. It feels good to drink it, and is just thin enough that you can drink a lot of it.

03-23-2006 12:10:29 | More by TurdFurgison
JayQue

This is more like the Guinness I remember drinking in Ireland 30 years ago. The Draught is pretty thin and the taste (served cold in a frosted bar glass) isn't very memorable. The Extra Stout pours a black color with no light coming through. The head starts out large and thick and settles down to just covering the glass. Lacing is in sheets across the glass. Mild aroma of malt, nothing strong. I drank it room temperature, the way I remember it served in Ireland. The taste is mild, some bitterness and a mild malt flavor. I'm not great on describing taste, but there is almost a coffee type taste here. The longer you let it sit, the better it tastes. Mouthfeel is average to mildly rich. Drinkability is good. I drank it "geek style" in front of the computer. If I could get it at room temperature at a bar, it would be a great session drink, especially in a room full of good storytellers or people who like to argue politics.

03-22-2006 01:06:50 | More by JayQue
clemtig76

South Carolina

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

What would St. Patty's day be without a Guinness? Had to have one or two. Pours a deep, dark brownish black with a thick sticky tan head. Stickly lacing clings to the glass. Smell is of dark chocolate, coffee, caramel malt. Taste is full, rich and dry, very well balanced between the dark roasted malts and bitter hops. I'll pass on the bottled draught, this is the only Guinness for me.

03-21-2006 20:45:47 | More by clemtig76
hanco005

2.53/5  rDev -31.6%

Picked this up to compare with the Guinness draft nitro can and the Beamish stout nitro can. 1 pint 6 fl oz bottle into a pint glass

A—pours almost solid black with 2 1/s inch foamy tan head. The head looks like a cola flavored ICEE. The head is slowly fading down, leaving sheets of lacing behind.

S—interesting enough, not as strong as the other two stouts mentioned above, aroma is very faint and does not have the coffee/chocolate smell I am used to in a stout. It smells sweet, oat and malt can be noticed, but not much else. Perhaps the beer is too cold? It just came from the fridge

T—bitter, a little alkaline, very mild dark roasted coffee hints, but not really anything else

M—like a really bitter soft drink, a little thin, wasn’t expecting the high amount of carbonation, my tongue tingles with each sip

D—didn’t care for this one as much…perhaps because the other two mentioned above were nitro cans and very smooth and mellow. I will try this on tap if I can find it, but will not have the bottle again. Overall, a disappointment. It was chore to finish this one.

03-20-2006 03:22:43 | More by hanco005
Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.