Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +20.8%

Had this for my birthday last year and man it was a great one. Opened the bottle and the smell blew me away it was beautiful. You could smell the rasted-ness and the alcohol in it.
The colour is great, it really lets you know this beer means business.
Overall definitely one (if not the) best beers I've ever had. Definitely one to have when you're chilling out by yourself or with mates and jsut have a great time.

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

A- slightly opaque black with a 1" thick cream coloured head. Good lacing and head retention.
S- very roasted malt and a slight peat note. Pleasant to the nose.
T- Very smooth and slight hops.
M - this beer feels good in your mouth. It just calls to you....drink more of me.
D- This beer is very easy to drink and you could drink lots of these. I did while in Ireland and it still can give you a hangover. Maybe I will learn someday. I can also see why people would be steered away from this beer because they think it is "heavy" but that is the farthest from the truth. Good beer and I will drink it again.

A- Opaque black with about two fingers of tan creamy head. Decent head retention and pretty good lacing

S- Mostly hops, a bit of a roasted smell

T- Starts off hoppy, has a bit of roasted/coffee taste finished off with a bitter, earthy taste

M- This beer is medium-heavy bodied, light carbonation, very smooth.

D- Good, I could drink another one pretty easily. The heavy body might turn some people off though.

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from a bottle (brewed in Canada under licence by Labatt in Halifax) which was warmed out of my fridge for 15 mins. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Poured a very dark amber to black colour. Chunky two inch off white soapy head which dies down relatively quickly. As the head dies down it clings to the side of my glass. Leaves a light dusting of suds on top.

S: Very light yeasty sourdough and rye bread, a small hint of coffee, and alcohal behind everything.

T: Sourdough bread, sweet caramel malt, bitter hops. Nothing special and also not offensive in any way.

M: Watery and light. The carbonation, being light to medium, was the best part about this beer. It gave the beer slight creamy mouthfeel.

D: Drinkable if you're into the flavour profile of this one. At 5% ABV this one is sessionable.

Saw this one on the shelves of my local beer store for a while and decided to give it a go. While it was an alright beer I wouldn't go out of my way to pick up another sixer of it.

2.64/5  rDev -28.6%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass last night, big one inch tan head that was creamy, leaves some lacing and has decent retention, smell is charcoal, roasted barley, burned malts, and light bread, taste is rather dry at first and finishes the same way, roasted malts and barley dominate the flavor, no real complexity overall, mouthfeel is pretty much only roasted and dry at times, medium body, moderate carbonation, could not drink much of this, feels heavier than the other Guinness products, might be worth trying

3.16/5  rDev -14.6%

This offering is very dark in color with a light brown head. It tastes very different than I expected. I have never had extra stout. I have always had draught. I expected it to be similar to the draught but it is quite different. It reminds me more of a porter than a stout. It has a rich malty flavor. It is alright but if I had to choose I would get Guinness draught the next time.

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

Ap: deep and dark with 3 fingers and overflowing head - long lasting with lacing to the end. love that huge head.
Sm: sweet and rich
Ta: burnt toasted caramel, coffee, full and rich and chocolaty. toasty sweet
Mf: light for a stout.
Dr: yes, oh yes, oh oh, yes!

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Got this at Bert's Bier Huis in Utrecht

From a bottle into a snifter

Note: I bought this in Holland and it was brewed in Ireland. It might be different than the Labatts version in North America.

APPEARANCE: Pours a two finger thick off white head. Black in colour and opaque with medium carbonation evident. Head retains well and slowly fades to a good film cap, leaving some immediate lacing. Film stays and leaves some nice lacing the whole way down. Very attractive.

SMELL: Roasted and smoky barley malt, some dark pure chocolate and a bit of coffee as well. Scent is medium in strength and is very enticing.

TASTE: Roasted barley malt again, some dark bitter chocolate and bitter black coffee as well. A nice cool hop twang acts as a nice accompaniment as well. Again, the roasted and smoky qualities are strong, giving an almost burnt bitter taste. A mildly strong long lasting bitter chocolate and coffee aftertaste lingers nicely and is a tasty finish. Nice and enjoyable.

PALATE: Body is on the thinner side and higher carbonation is evident. Smooth in the mouth, though not as smooth as others, but goes down slightly rough and ends with a faint bite at the very end. Finishes rather dry on the palate as well.

OVERALL: This was excellent, much better than I'd expected. It's a toss up between this one and the foreign extra stout for my number one in the Guinness line-up. A tasty and beautiful beer; I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I'd never seen it here in Holland before, but I sure hope to see it more regularly. Drinkable and enjoyable, one I'll pick up again for sure.

4.04/5  rDev +9.2%

A- The body is deep, dark brown and opaque. Big, frothy, tan head leaves globs of lace on my stein

S- Roasted coffee comes to mind. Lots of black/chocolate/caramel malt scents and some bitter hops

T- Taste is alike the smell in it's roasty quality. A toasty, malty quality is also apparent. Bitter hops keep this beer alive and fresh

M- Silky smooth carbonation and a pretty decent body for an Irish Dry Stout

D- Nice and easy if you're in the mood for something dark and roasted

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

Hiterto this day I have not really enjoyed stouts, but as time goes on drinking various types of beer, one's pallet matures - at least that's been my experience and is why I'm doing something I never thought I'd be doing: reviewing a stout.

When I first drank this beer, I felt that stouts of all kinds were too viscous. I did not enjoy the soft texture followed by the bitter afterkick; but tonight when I poured this beer and proceeded to enjoy it, I was thoroughly impressed. It is apparent to me why this beer is so popular worldwide.

Served in a bottle.

A: Poured a black, smooth liquid. Thick as is to be expected of its brew, but not disgusting like mud. Foamy tan head followed.

S: I have been known to smell strange things in beer, for some reason I smell grapes - or a scent similar to grapes. Regardless, the smell was pleasing and one of its most redeaming qualities.

T: Delicious? Both the initial taste and the after taste are enjoyable.

M: Soft.

D: Pretty much can be considered a session beer, though I like to take my time feeling the beer over a long period of time.

It's a great beer. Please don't take it for granted.

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Picked up a 22oz bottle poured into snifter.

Poured a rich black color with a good nice tan head. Looked almost like soda but with less carbonation.

The smell was of dark roasted malts with a hint of caramel. Also a slight hint of chocolate to add to the brews aroma.

The taste was of roasted malts, caramel and a bit of a chocolate taste.the taste pretty much follows the nose. finishes with a coffee like bitterness.

Mouth feel was some what flat in my opinion, but it wasnt too bad.

The drinkability is very good, i wouldnt mind having this from time to time.

left a nice amount of lace on the glass.

overall this is easily a sessionable beer in my opinion. A solid stout and a class..

cheers!!

3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle.

The pour is a nearly black brown with a big, foamy off-white head. Retention and lacing are both nice.

The nose is mostly chocolate, coffee and roasted malts with a hint of sweetness. The taste brings out of the flavour of the malts with the chocolate and coffee taking the backseat, but still apparent. Bitterness is present throughout.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a low amount of carbonation. Drinkability is okay, but I cannot see myself drinking more than two in a session.

It's a decent example of the style, but it's not something I want every week. It is worth an occasional revisit, however.

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

I have been meaning to try this beer for a while now but have been choosing other beers instead. I am not a big fan of Guinness Draught but heard good things about Guinness Extra Stout. Stopped into a local liquor store and saw a single of this so I grabbed it.

Poured a two finger head into a pint glass from the bottle. Blackish red color topped by a thick and chewy foam. Nice lacing in the glass as I drank the beer.

Sweet roasted malt smell. Malty taste but kind of a roasted/burnt malt taste.

A nice drinkable stout, not really anything "extra" , but in line with a lot of the stouts and porters available domestically today. This may become a regular for me.

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Can from some Dublin off-licence

Pours black with large head that soon dissipates, no lacing. Aroma is mild, rather sweet rosted malty, some coffee. Taste is similar, quite dry finish with bittery and lemony aftertaste.

It is extremely drinkable, I could drink it all night.

I know this is the original, the one and only. However, I could not escape the feeling it felt somewhat too watery, too thin, the flavour was not intense enough....maybe I was expecting too much.

4.14/5  rDev +11.9%

I love rating a classic. Extra Stout is my favorite Guinness Ltd. product by far and away.

From a 1 pint, 6 ounce bottle.

Pours an extremely dark brown that verges on jet black, with a medium tan head that sifts its way down within a couple of minutes (the bottles for Extra Stout don't come with a nitro-tablet to artificially inject the beer with carbonation). Smells of a very natural, earthy, burnt bitterness that would not be out of place in a scorched forest after a rain. The flavors are simple but tasty: a nice roastiness that (for once) doesn't necessarily evoke coffee or dark chocolate, unless you want to burn them in which case you get the idea. This beer has a simple, almost elemental quality to its features that establish the standard by which I (personally) compare several other beers of its style. It's body is medium-full, unlike the watery stuff that comes from several of the nitro-can/bottles. It pairs extremely well with anything hearty, anything chocolately, or any cheese worth the effort of slicing. The sheer functionality of this beer makes it almost indispensable.

2.98/5  rDev -19.5%

Appearance: Dark brown near black body, big rocky cream colored hear, decent retention and moderate lacing.

Nose: some chocolate, alcohol, hint of hops not much though, that's about it.

Taste: Fairly disappointing, some alcohol tastes, some hints of the dark roasted malts, maybe some chocolate and maybe some coffee, pretty watery.

Mouth: Very thin, almost like weak coffee. Leaves a bitter aftertaste.

Drink: Goes down like Folgers.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. My first ever Guinness. Let's do this.

Pours a deep black. Big, thick, foamy, chunky tan head. Sticky lacing.

There's some sweetness to the nose, but mostly roasted malt, coffee, and bittersweet chocolate.

Taste is very malty and roasty. The malt and coffee flavors are there, but the chocolate from the nose is non-existent. The finish is super dry with a somewhat bitter aftertaste.

The feel is very nice. Creamy and smooth. Full, but not heavy.

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

very dark brown, almost black color, one finger size head the color of the foam on a cola, that dissipates fairly quickly with little lacing.

sour roasted smell of barley malts, slight whiskey scent as well and some hints of chocolate, and a little toasty.

im having a difficult time describing this taste. roasted taste is not very robust, almost just a side element, along with everything else you smell in it. bitterness is good, however theres a sour taste to it as well that im not really feelin, in addition to the aftertaste.

unimpressed with the medium bodied it has. has a slight, stinging carbonation.

drinkable, maybe I had unfair expectations for this beer. I was very dissapointed with the body, and may be more willing to accept its taste were the body up to par. Nonetheless, its a drinkable, just not sure when I would enjoy the most, because right now I'm only drinking it to review it.

(since first reviewing this beer, I view it much more favorably. however, its still something that I settle for when I can't get draught or foreign extra. it hangs in the middle.)

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Murky black with some deep red tint. Poured a tight 1 finger head with good retention and was "fed" from underneath. Ample lacing tight to the glass.

S: Sweet bready, smokey, chocolatey, all kinds of malt and a hint of hop bitter.

T: Very sonsistent with smell; roasted and toasted malt flavors. Light bitter fininsh to balance.

M: Medium body. Low carbonation. Smooth and creamy. Not quite the full body I expected.

D: Very drinkable. Didn't find it filling or overbearing.

3.55/5  rDev -4.1%

Also had this brew in the nitro-bottle. If you're going to have this beer, go for the bottles. I have had this beer in the four pack of cans on several occasions now. I gotta say, for one of my favorite brews, Guinness in a can sucks. I feel like the taste from the can ruins this brew. Especially when served at the proper temperature, the metallic taste overpowers the good. Great beer just get it from a nitro-bottle.

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)
Guinness Ltd.
Style: Irish Dry Stout
ABV: 6.00 %
bottle > dimpled mug

A 4.0 - dark coffee color, GREAT HEAD & RETENTION, excelent lacing
S 4.0 coffee/chocolate maltiness front stage, earthy spicy-ness hops on back stage
T 4.0 - I must state I am not a huge stout fan, but I really do appreaciatte this one. slightly bitter but balnced for a stout, I like the chocolate/coffee malty-ness
MF 3.0 - bitterness makes me pucker a bit, slows me down, it's a sipping stout, slightly thin for a stout.
D 4.0 - best Guinness to date, I still dont' pursue this Guinness, but I enjoyed this one for a first!

2.68/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
I won't bother describing the color, head or lack of, and lace or lack of. You can read about that in every review below. "Poured black as night" "Black as coal"...and so on. Hey, it's a Stout fercrissakes. More to the point, how does it taste? Okay, I guess. But I'll take a Murphy's over a Guinness any day. Why? A Guinness lacks the smooth mouthfeel of a Murphy's. A Guinness leaves you with a nasty bitterness in your mouth that lingers long after you've finished your one or two or three. And a Guinness usually costs more than a Murphy's. C'est ca.

3.44/5  rDev -7%

Poured into standard pint glass

Appearance: Black as night, very light cream 1 finger head. A lot of lace but without the nitro, the head dissipates quickly.

Smell: This is this beers strong point, smells very malty with a smokey undertone, smells like what you might expect a bar in dublin would smell like in the 1800's.

Taste: Not overly hoppy but you can taste the hops used, other than that it's mostly smokey and malty.

Mouthfeel: Not as smooth as the draught version, and has a bit of bite to it, but still very drinkable.

Notes: The extra stout is very true, it literally tastes like guinness on steroids...overall very enjoyable

2.78/5  rDev -24.9%

Had a pint at the 'fabled" College Lunch, a local hang out.
Dark black like in the glass with a very creamy head and amazing lacing. This thanks to the nitrogen I figure.
Taste was not really impressive. Burnt bitter taste with an "ashyness" to the finish that I didnt really enjoy.
Not impressive at all.

3.64/5  rDev -1.6%

A: heavy black pour with dabs of brown, a huge mocha colored head that sat atop majestically. A bit of mystical cascading and the lace is a film that enveloped the entire glass. Head retention hung on long enough to leave me with a foam mustache on the first few sips. Great presentation...

S: dry roasted grains (barley and malts), wet cardboard, and whiff of tame coffee

T: dark roasted malt profile, fairly dry flavors all around followed by a slight pucker of sweetness. Coffee flavors mingle about but are ever so hard to detect. Finishes dry and earthy, slight breaded huskiness at times

M: heavy body and very lush/smooth. It is the right combo of a heavier beer being very drinkable...charming and delightful as far as this category is concerned

D: a classic that is always a pleasure to get from time to time. I can not remember the last Guinness Extra Stout I have had...solid

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.