Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

the original stout, i remember sneaking drinks of my dad's Guinness when I was 12 ; pours an absolute black, my desk lamp won't penatrate it at all, big tan creamy head w/ lots of lacing ; a malty faint burnt aroma, w some yeasty undertones ; a good crisp, bitter initial flavor then tapering off to more complex malt undertones, very dry ; light-med body ( contrary to everyone thinking of it as "thick" ) with plenty of dextrins & co2 ; a very drinkable & addictive beer....

animal69, Nov 06, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

This is the one that started it all for me.Up until I tried Guinness,I had just had American beer,like Old Style,Bud,Miller etc...and I never knew what I was missing.After this I tried to find as many "new" beers as I could.No longer my favorite,but it still has a place in my heart.

Vvall, Nov 04, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +30.5%

Poured it into a clean room temperature beer glass and it did not have a large head. The head was a nice creamy Carmel color and left a lacey ring around the glass with each sip. The beer itself was very dark almost black and I could not see through it at all. Very rich looking. It had a nice wisp when the bottle was opened but I could not see carbonation in the glass.

It smelled of a roasted nut with a hint chocolate and coffee. I’m still new to this so my palate vocabulary is still growing and being refined.

The taste was much like the smell and I found myself sipping it much like I would a cup of coffee or coco. Very rich with flavor and kind of heavy but I liked it so well I have bought it several times. I’m on a quest now to try many other types of dark stouts.

quad07, Oct 27, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving Type: 1pt 6fl oz non-nitro bottle

Appearance: Still pours that nice dark black colour that lets no light through, but no head

Smell: Light roasted smell w/ a touch of caramel and chocolate. A little sweet much beyond the caramel and chocolate but I can't put my finger on it

Taste/Mouthfeel: Goes down easy w/ a smooth yet crisp bite to it. A burnt flavour that almost dominates the beers taste(it does dominate if the beer is to cold)but has a touch of caramel sweetness. A touch of bitterness at the end(lemon?)ends the beer w/ a slight down note.

Drinkability: Although not as smooth as a nitro-can it is still a very enjoyable beer. Moreso than the traditional Guinness(at least the "now" standard Guinness)

livingregret, Oct 22, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

How do you review a beer that is basically THE example of its beer class? Pretty much like any other beer I guess.

Exceptionally dark clear brown colored beer that is the last stop head to blackness. Good light brown colored head that does eventually fall.

The smell is sweet rich and far maltier that I remember it in the past when I used this stuff as an extinguisher for hot peppers in Albuquerque. Lots of biscuit malt and a good helping of toffee and coffee aroma. Unexpected fruity aroma from the yeast used I should have expected it considering where it comes from. I identify the fruit as mostly fig. Lots more chocolate aroma than I remember from the past, a pleasant surprise.

The taste starts out dry with a fair amount of molasses and a stout roasted malt flavor with a sharp bitterness in the aftertaste. Flavor becomes more bitter as you drink it but the molasses only gets stronger and the hop flavor appears. A flowery perfume like hops flavor that I never tasted in this beer before. It is something of a shock and a realization that my ability to taste beer has advanced several light years from when I last tried this beer.

The mouthfeel is full without need to resort to any nitrogen system.

Much better than I remember it to be. Stiff and bitter but with much more to offer flavor wise than just char and bitterness. I have had a long history with this beer and only recently realized I had never bothered to review it. Mainly we used this in New Mexico and Texas because the bitterness could cut through the pain and heat of very hot foods, but there is an actual good beer here too.

Zorro, Oct 19, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Black,very black kind of like used motor oil,did'nt have much goin on for the people that like to smell em(but I havent caught on to that yet,still tryin)I did enjoy the taste,at times it was like burnt coffee,kind of earthy-metallic but very smooth,I think two 12oz would be just about right(ill know for sure in bout 10min)

p.s. NOW I'VE GOTTA TRY A CAR BOMB WITH THE EXTRA STOUT!!!!

orangemoustache, Oct 18, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +13%

As mentioned this is a different brew than Guinness draught. It's brewed in Canada by Labatt's, so it's fresh.

It's hard to believe Labatt's brews this; the beer is loaded with roasted malt and has a good hop bite that you don't find with Guinness draught. The roasted malts are more bitter than in the draught; the taste borders on medicinal.

It's a bit over carbonated, and the 6% abv creeps up on you.

This is my go-to macro stout because it's cheap by the 22 oz. bottle and delivers the roasted malt that some of us crave time to time.

sudz42, Oct 17, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

This looks just about perfect when poured. There are few that look this good. Pitch black, no light passing though. Two finger thick caramel, cream head that retains like few others and laces down the glass.

Smell is where this is a let down. Weak for a stout. There are hints of malt, but otherwise some what bland.

Taste is what you would expect from a beer that has been around 200 years and been sucessful. Good malty balance between the bitter and sweet. Very refreshing.

Mouthfeel, I think, is the standard for stouts. There are many better than this but this is what everyone compares stouts too. Light carbonation, glides over the tounge, coats gently.

Still a good beer, not as much hype as the draught, but not the best stout. I would still never turn down a Guinness.

Homerbag, Oct 14, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance: Eight-ball black with some chocolatey brown highlights. Head is full in body and soft beige in color with very good retention and wisps of lace.

Smell: Somewhat weak, even at nearly room temperature, yet inviting and deceptively complex. Malt sweetness is nuanced and layered, with notes of maple syrup, raisins, cherry cordials, coffee, and charred sugar. There is also a suggestion of bananas cooked in rum. Hops are sharp and acidic, yet very quiet.

Taste: Very roasty, with everything that entails: burnt coffee, molasses, baker's chocolate, acrid char. Fruity, with notes of Granny Smith apples. Mellow yet tangy and robust. With a nice bitter kick in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and aggressively dry; almost too sharp to allow the flavors to fully develop on the palate. A more mellow mouthfeel might do this beer well.

Drinkability: Very good and very tasty; not as smooth and drinkable as Guinness Draught, but more flavorful and bold.

soulgrowl, Oct 14, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: Many beers present themselves to look black, but are actually clear when held to light. This is actually black, with a nice two and a half tan, foamy head. Looks really nice.

Smell: Pretty disappointing. Very faint smell of dark malts, roasted maybe? Vague hop aroma with a fruity hint that was unexpected.

Taste: Nice flavor but not overpowering or overly complex. Coffee taste with just a hint of bittering hop to balance out. Sweet and dry finish of toasted malt and some sort of fruitiness that I can't identify. The only disappointing part is the mouthfeel, which was more thin than I would have liked. This is one is perfect for sitting back with some friends and knocking a few out over some good conversation.

BucBasil, Oct 09, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -1.4%

In this area this serving type of this beer has a decent price. Above average beer.

A: Completely dark, not transparent at all. Decently long lasting head.

S: Smells of roasted malts and of some sort of burnt fruit.

T: A decent taste, good roasted malt taste and has a slight fruit peel taste, although the bitterness can be a little rough.

M: Not too bubbly, very pleasent mouthfeel.

D: Easy going down, but the bitter taste can make for a bit of a hard drinkability.

Bottom line is that this is worth a try, if you like stouts. Congrats.

xtremejammn, Oct 07, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

A- thick black elixir with 2in danse tan head that becomes rocky like malt-o-meal with great chunky retention and lots of wispy lace. no visible highlights show through.

S- caramel mocha and malt. grainy sweet bread, dark fruit and some floral hops with a smoky toasted malt in the back of my nose.

T- buttery red fruit like grapes and plum, charred wood, roasted nuts, burnt malt, tobacco, with a coffee ground and resinous hop aftertaste.

MF- creamy smooth body with minimum carbonation

D- nutritious and hearty with a nice easy flavor. this might weigh me down but it sure is gooood

hustlesworth, Oct 04, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a near black color with a fantastic tan head with plenty of chunky lacing. Doesn't have the cascading effect but still a 5. The smell is non-existant, all I pick up is a very light malt aroma. The taste is of bitter chocolate, light roasted coffee, charred beef. I would say charcoal over charred beef but I never actually tasted charcoal before and I'm not about to start. Well bodied and well carbonated, finishes quite crisp and slightly bitter. Quite drinkable and much better than the draught shite.

Gmann, Sep 30, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +29.7%

Pours black into a pint glass with a tremendous brownish-tan head.

The nose is full of toasted malt tones - coffee and chocolate balanced with hops.

Once in the mouth, it is remarkably smooth, creamy, and balanced - the taste mirrors the aroma, leaving no promise unfulfilled.

This stout dries nicely at the end, and it is easy to drink.

This beer is exemplary of its style. I have yet to have another stout that compares as an equal - only Lion Stout comes close, but its high alcohol content takes too much away from its qualities.

Great choice. Enjoy!

Blupoet03, Sep 13, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

This stuff is excellent. Served from the bottle, poured into a tulip glass.

A- Black as Draught Guinness, minus the cascading bubbles and the subsequent head. Head was in fact very thin, thinner than I would expect, and dissapated (sp) quickly.

S- Chocolaty and malty, very strong chocolate tones.

T- For anyone used to the Draught version, you're in for a suprise. As an extra stout this stuff lacks the carbonation, and as such the stout tastes comes through better. Bakers chocolate and light amount of coffee come to mind... a slight alkaline feeling as it goes down, but excellent stuff for sure.

M- Thick. So thick. I recommend trying this on vanilla ice cream: delicious!

D- Dinner? No thanks, just had one. Seriously though, I'd be hard pressed to drink more than two in a night, owing to the thickness of this fine stout.

beerNdarts, Sep 08, 2007

This is a good Guinness. Recently tried the Draught for the first time and wasnt too impressed so it inspired me to try this. Much better! Pours black, perhaps the first beer I've had that actually pours black, even when held to the light. Nice tan head that stays around through the duration and leaves nice lace behind. Smell is of ice coffee and malt and some caramel. Tastes like some malt, grain, and chocolate all mixed together, a great balance of sweetnees and some bitterness as well from the hops. Leaves an almost dry chocolate-y aftertaste. Higher carbonation than the Draught makes the mouthfeel different and better. Nice, crisp and refreshing. Overall all 4's as this is a good beer.

bunnyhustle, Sep 07, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Pours extremely dark brown (almost black) with 2 fingers of light tan head.

S: This is a really good-smelling stout. Very sweet and roasted malt smell.

T: Roasted malt - very good. A bit of coffee. Leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

M: Doesn't finish as clean as some other stouts, but still not bad. Asringency is high.

D: Good for a stout. I can't see myself drinking this a lot, but I would take it over a Guinness Draught any day,

ralree, Sep 01, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +27%

An excellent choice with a hearty meal like stew or well, hell anything Irish. Drink suprisingly easy considering how stout it is. Not as dark as Draught but still very dark in color and rich in its malty flavors. Good to drink out of a bottle or in a glass but best if you can find a place that has it on tap.

Limberg316, Aug 31, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance - 4.0
Wow, this is Guinness, but never like I've seen it before. For some reason I was expecting the solid creamy head and cascading effect, but this is completely different, and not quite as pretty. Poured 2.5 fingers of loosish pale brown head, which took its time reducing. The colour is a solid black, with some light showing brown around the edges.

Smell - 4.0
Mmm, definitely a better, stonger smell than Guinness draught. I can smell the sweetness of liquor soaked raisins, roasted malt and a little coffee, and some molasses after warming.

Taste - 4.0
Yum! This is so much tastier than the draught it is not funny! Smooth and sweet malt upfront, moves onto dark fruits, and a burnt, hoppy, bitter finish. The aftertaste is dry and bitter, but not excessively so.

Mouthfeel - 4.0
Doesn't have the creaminess of the draught version, but still oh so smooth. Carbonation is low, but average for a stout

Drinkability - 3.5
Due to the higher alcohol and increased bitterness, I would say this is less drinkable than the draught version. I wouldn't go for a second in a sitting, but I will definitely try it again.

OVERALL - 3.95
I have never been a stout drinker, I only touch the stuff if I am in Ireland, or a single bottle on rare occasion. At this point in time, this is far better than any other stout I have tried. I still couldn't use this as a session drink, it's too full-on, but I will definitely be buying it again. It's a bit pricey, but considering the flavour, the value is not bad at all. A fine stout.

LittleCreature, Aug 29, 2007
2.13/5  rDev -42.4%

This is the beer that convinced me that Ales are not for me. I think the aroma is alright, and as for appearance, there is something about beer that looks like coffee that turns me off. Even the flavour wasn't that appealing to me. I found this to be a slightly bitter beverage. Even the mouthfeel felt very thick and strong with little in the way of carbonation. I'm the only person I know who doesn't really like Guinness so it's not you people...it's me.

cyrenaica, Aug 26, 2007
3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

I enjoy this ttyle of Guiness much more than the Draught version. It pours a dark brown color with a nice off-white head. Smells of roasted malts, and tastes like roasted malt and chocolate with a little coffee mixed in. A good beer, but dare I say, I have had better stouts.

kguyty, Aug 25, 2007

I bought this before I realized it wasn't the one with the widget. Well it's a great stout in and of itself. Pours dark black with a nice tan head. Has good malted notes and a nice dry hoppy finish which is the way a good Guinness should be. I pulled back several of these as I bought a six. It's a good representation of Irish Dry Stouts..great beer

meechum, Aug 23, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours black with brown hues and a very small mocha head that faded fast. Smells sweet with chocolate and malty notes. The taste starts malty with a bitter finish. This one is not as smooth as I expected for Guiness but still had a bold taste that was enjoyable. It had a good deal of carbonation which was frustrating not having a frothy head. This had a medium body, lighter for a stout, but didn't take away too much from the beer. This one is an easy drinker and worth checking out for those who are into stouts. Enjoy.

wingman14, Aug 15, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

Personally, what this gains in alcohol content over the Draught it loses in taste. Still a good beer, but not quite as good as the Draught. Much thinner also, with a more bitter taste. Pour is very dark with an off-white/tan head that hangs around for a while. Aroma is coffee and choclate malts as is the taste. Fuller more rich flavor than Guinness Draught.

biggmike, Aug 07, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

There are few Irish stouts I like better than ol' Guinnee here.

The smell was as usual, warm, dark & malty, but a bit light.

The latest pint I had was creamy in my mouth and left me with a light brown mustache from the tight foamy head.

Smooth malt flavor which only got better as the beer warmed up. The bar serves their Guinness too cold, as many do, but I couldn't wait to get into it.

Great roasted malt. Slacks the thirst. Dry finish with a hint of hops.

The only think I would have liked was a bit more hint of taste in the smell as I put my nose in the half empty glass.

nightcrawler, Jul 29, 2007
Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.