Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: guinness33 on 11-12-2000)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
allengarvin

4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance: Deep black appearance, until you hold up to the light, and then you get a nice ruby tinting. Not a big head, but rather a nice pancake of tan foam across the top.

Aroma: Sharp roasted grain aroma, slightly coffeeish.

Flavor: Roasted, almost-but-not-quite burnt malt flavor. Sweetness is balanced more from malts than from any detectable hop bitterness. Finish is astringent, dry, and lingering.

Body: Grainy mouthfeel, full bodied, average carbonation.

A world classic. I don't drink too much of it anymore, and there are many bolder beers out there today, but there are no real flaws here. Just, a very good beer.

12-18-2004 21:11:43 | More by allengarvin
RushLimbmalt

Ok I admit it. I am of Irish heritage so I LOVE my Guinness, no matter what version. The Extra Stout is definitely their most flavorful version. It pours as black as any Guinness should and has a nice rocky tan head that leaves a ton of lace behind. Can you say beautiful? I did, so anyway it has a nice clean aroma, a touch of sweetness from the unmalted barley and some faint coffee like aromas make it really irresistable. The flavor is a bit more extreme, a nice sweet beginning that follows with a decent bitterness from the dark malts that almost overpower the experience. I probably shouldn't give it all 5's, but it is Guinness.

12-18-2004 08:34:16 | More by RushLimbmalt
RoyalT

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance – This one was beautiful right out of the bottle. It poured a dark brown in color with a full, heavily-tanned puffy head. The foam showed a lot of retention as it laced the inside of my glass on its way down.

Smell – The rich, roasted malts are very subtle here at the nose. I can pick up some good brown sugar as well. The aroma here is simple yet very pleasing.

Taste – The roasted malts come out sharp and raw at the taste. They are very bitter and need every grain of the sweet brown sugar compliment. The beer has an overall coffee flavor to it that’s very enticing.

Mouthfeel – This medium-bodied Stout has some bitter black burnt flavors with some good dryness in back of the tongue. I would have liked to have seen a bit more body to go along with the huge flavors, but overall the mouthfeel was good.

Drinkability – It isn’t the most balanced Stout on the market, but it is raw and edgy and a great effort from such a high-volume brewery

12-06-2004 19:52:18 | More by RoyalT
helloloser12345

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Serving Type: 330ml brown bottle

Pour: Tan head 9appears to be the same colour as the background on the bottle label. Good retention and no real lacing at all.

Appearance: Black and completely opaque.

Smell: Earthy peat smell also has a hint of oak

Flavour: Full flavours of peat, coffee and the slightest hint of dark and very bitter chocolate. Good chewy mouthfeel with a bitter aftertaste in the back of the throat.

Overall: A nice drinkable stout, not overly heavy and very enjoyable.

12-02-2004 20:30:41 | More by helloloser12345
beveragecaptain

3.1/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured into my beer mug, this beer was very dark, almost black. Attractive head that remained almost till the end. Left a nice lacing on the edge of the glass as I drank. Has a weak, sweet smell that I found a little unpleasant. Roasted malt flavor with a bitter finish. Creamy mouthfeel with little noticable alcohol. The smouth mouthfeel and mild taste give beer a high drinkability

Overall, a decent stout but not remarkable.

12-02-2004 08:56:35 | More by beveragecaptain
DPMomutant

Missouri

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours the good, old pitch black with a nice creamy tan head. The head drops at a moderate, deliberate pace but looks like some is sticking around.

Nice smell of those dark malts. A bit fruitlike. Almost like Sam Smith's Imperial Stout but not quite as strong or complex.

The taste up front is not too exciting. For lack of a better term, I'm getting a kind of salty/sour taste. Not enough to offend but unexpected, maybe hitting my tongue wrong, I'm not sure. The aftertaste is actually an improvement with the roasted malt and just a bit of cocoa.

Nice moderate carbonation and smooth all the way down. You almost have to stop yourself from just swallowing it. A bit thicker than the average dry stout, not necessarily a bad thing to me.

This one is going down as a decent nightcap, but I don't think I'd drink these all night as is probably intended. I'd probably want something a bit more exciting. But it can be a solid find at a convenience store with a limited selection if you just want one for the night at home.

12-02-2004 06:45:13 | More by DPMomutant
SilentSabre

North Dakota

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

Guinness is one of those beers that seems to have some kind of cult like following behind it. And I don't understand why. In the way of stouts, there are scores upon scores of much better choices out there. I don't think Guinness sucks, I simply think there is alot more hype concerning Guinness than it deserves. It pours jet black, which is good. I like porters and stouts that you cannot see light through. It laces the glass well, too. It looks great! The smell is very nice as well. A little bit of dry roasted malt perhaps. A sweetened coffee like smell. Maybe some chocolate. The taste starts out wonderful, but goes south from there. It has a sweet malty taste to it at the beginning, which is nice. However, there is a very clearly noticeable...almost metallic like taste on the finish. It isn't totally awful, but I certainly don't share the enthusiasm that many others seem to have for this stuff. The mouthfeel is a little on the heavy side, which is good. A brew this dark should be heavy. It goes down smooth and except for the metallic finish thing, has all the characteristics of a good stout. Not total crap, but I certainly wouldn't choose it first.

12-02-2004 00:03:36 | More by SilentSabre
n8tron

Wisconsin

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

mmm this is a fantastic beer. A nice stout, slightly wood/smoky and bitter. Its quite smooth going down and its good the whole way. It has a nice dark color and a thick head. Guinness is always better from the tap but the extra stout is a good substitute.

11-01-2004 02:57:40 | More by n8tron
KoG

Nevada

4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

Nice and black with a good amount of brown head that stays for a bit then leaves a bit of lacing.

Mmmm... nice roasted barley and a bit of hoppyness.

Taste is quite fulfilling with an almost espresso flavor and a bitter finish, no trace of alcohol until it warms a bit. Slight nutty flavor as well as hints of chocolate.

Nice chewy body that goes down smooth.

I've always liked the Extra Stout from Guinness and pick it up on occasion if I'm in the mood. Easy to drink a few.

10-30-2004 06:08:01 | More by KoG
theozag

Louisiana

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Ah yes, the renowned stout that restored my faith in bottled stouts after a case of bad experiences with Guinness Draught bottled. One of my friends once referred to this brew as the beer that drinks like a meal, and boy does it ever fit the title. If you like beers that tend to fill you up and stick to your ribs, look no further than Extra Stout. I honestly think that Guinness has elevated the bottled Irish Dry Stout to an artform with this beer. It remains one of my favorite beers, even though it was the second beer I ever tried and I've never reviewed it for this website before.

This beer pours a mottled deep brown and black, when you even bother to pour it into anything. You don't have to drink it from the bottle (like Draught), but I rarely waste the time pouring the beer into a glass. Conseqently I miss the thick, creamy sagebrush-colored head on most of my Extra Stouts, but the head's tangy semi-sweet flavor remains.

Smell is reminicent of well-aged and newly-stained wood with some sweet overtones.

It starts extremely smooth but sharply flavored. Think of the experience as the sharp cheddar of beers. It glides onto the tongue, then subsequently kicks you in the teeth. Extra Stout is one of the most full-bodied beers I have ever tried. I can't imagine you would feel more full after eating a small loaf of bread. This beer has strong coffee, caramel, and chocolate flavors. it washes from teh mouth with a thick, soft, and smooth texture. As the beer departs is leaves behind a bitter hoppy suggestion on the tongue. This rapidly becomes a strong bitter aftertaste ater just a few sips.

If you've never tried a dry stout before, but you have sampled and enjoyed Guinness Draught, I recommend you give Extra Stout a shot. In many ways you can sense its similarities to Draught, but at the same time there's no question that this is a unique beer. As if the 6.00% abv wasn't enough to tell you it's significantly different than your standard pint of Guinness.

10-30-2004 05:39:47 | More by theozag
TheDeuce

3.33/5  rDev -10%

Here we go

Appearance-poured into my pint glass, nice pitch black color, not as much head as I would've liked, though it does leave nice traces around the glass.

Smell-hints of coffee, chocolate, little hops, it's fine.

Taste-dense, thick, the flavors come out a lot, very bitter finish with a dense aftertaste.

Mouthfeel-drink this nice and easy, this isn't Bud Light here, aftertaste is hit or miss depending on the kind of beer you like.

Drinkability- a nice session beer or bar beer, but it is expensive and thick and not everybody likes it. Go by your preference and the preference of your friends.

Overall-this is a good stout, drink it cold and DO NOT LET IT WARM UP, has its redeeming qualities and a lot of fans and it certainly will do. I tend to prefer Murphy's myself but many will disagee and this is much easier to get so enjoy.

10-29-2004 23:02:28 | More by TheDeuce
Ahhdball

4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

Black as coal with a hefty beige head covering the crown. Good looking pint to start. Barely smelled a thing as I tipped the glass for the first drink. Taste was very good. Wheat, coffee and small amounts of burnt malt. Mouthfeel was smooth, leaving nothing behind. I really liked the way this tasted. Dry, crisp and clean with just enough bitterness to remind you it's there. I'll have this again.

10-19-2004 03:10:23 | More by Ahhdball
twilight

Germany

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

Funny, I haven't had the bottle version of this in a long, long time. appearance is black as night with little lacing and little semblance of a head. The nose, I'm sad so say, smells like ham. Perhaps it's the roasty/smokiness I'm smelling, but it smells like ham. Not overly so, but hints of it. And I'm vegetarian, by the by. Maybe not like ham so much, but sour and smoky.

Taste is sour, but definite roastiness, and this is the whole appeal of Guinness. Some say it's thick, but it's actually pretty watery, if you think about it, particularly on the nitro pour. Now, give me an imperial or an oatmeal stout, that's thick. The taste of this one is slight acid/lemon sourness and this really nice roastiness. Full of flavor, really, the taste is the high point of the beer.

A true classic, even if I have outgrown it. Because of BA, I only drink this when I'm "slumming" it!

10-19-2004 01:39:13 | More by twilight
beerceller99

Louisiana

3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz. bottle pours black with a thin tan head, decent lacing. Pleasant buttered toast smell. Thick, chewy mouthfeel. Taste is of toasted grains and black coffee. Has a bitter black coffee after taste. Not bad for a mass produced stout, and better tasting than it's canned draught sibling.

10-17-2004 16:59:36 | More by beerceller99
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

The label is gold with black writing. This beer is brewed by Labatts for the Canadian market only, its a little bit weaker than the international extra stout (which is 6% ABV) and also more intense in taste.

Pours almost pure black with amber glints at the top and bottom of the glass. The light tan head quickly dissipates to a foam ring that leaves plenty of lace on the glass. The aroma is of a strong, almost acidic roasted bitterness. The taste is more of the same, with a grainy roasted barley bitterness up front which leads to faint chocolate and bready notes and then quickly returns to a strong, slightly acidic bitterness. In The finish a cedary character becomes apparent. Hop bitterness is medium to high throughout. The mouthfeel is grainy and roughly carbonated. This is a very sharp tasting stout that is completely dominated by the roasted (burnt?) barley. Some how the taste really works, the intensity is reminiscent of very hoppy beers in a weird way. Definitely not as balanced as the Extra Stout available in the states, though I still love the stuff.

10-11-2004 03:18:55 | More by CAMRAhardliner
crookedhalo

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a deep, deep ruby with a creamy light beige colored head. Aromas of some toasted, scorched malts and some low-alpha Challenger hops. Some subtle chocolate/coffee aromas, with an organic background. Roasty and toast blackened malt taste with some dark fruit poking through, finishing dry and vegetal on the tongue. Better than Guinness on-draught, though still brewed in Toronto to North Americans. I'd love to have Guinness in Ireland, fraternizing a local Dublin pub, being pegged as an American just by the lines left in a Guinness pint showing how many gulps in took you to finish it. I'll bet a denizen of Dublin leaves only three lines...

09-23-2004 09:29:31 | More by crookedhalo
fdrich29

4.68/5  rDev +26.5%

I've been waiting to review Guinness because it holds a very dear place in my heart.

Early on in my beer drinking life I knew adjunct lagers were not for me. Bud didn't cut it, I'd rather drink water. Then one day my whole life changed. My first pint of Guinness.

So black! It's hard to believe it's a liquid looking at it through the glass. The head doesn't even look real, it all looks artificial.

The smoothness of the beer amazed me, it went down so easily and the malt taste quickly became what beer was supposed to taste like in my mind. Nothing else measured up.

The pinacle of my 10 year love affair with Guinness came when I visited St. Jame's Gate in Dublin where my beloved beverage originated. The complimentary pint I had atop the brewery at Skybar was amazing, silky smooth and tasting like nothing I have had before.

Unfortunately by comparison the Guinness I had been drinking for a decade back at home tasted like rust and I don't think I've had more than 3 pints in the three years since I've come back from Ireland.

After joining BA I've discovered a whole new world of beer and Guinness isn't the pinnacle it once was for me, but it will always remain a special thing in my life.

09-21-2004 07:16:39 | More by fdrich29
Bierguy5

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a deep brown color with a tan creamy head. Head disappears too quickly, leaving some lace on the glass. Smells very roasty, like coffee. Taste is a rich roasted malt with shades of charcoal and burnt flavors. Good amount of hop bitterness, and a dry finish. Medium body with a fair amount of carbonation. Slick in the mouth. Overall, this is far different (and IMO better) than the nitro stuff that you find lots of places. Pretty drinkable and a good Irish stout.

09-20-2004 00:41:10 | More by Bierguy5
afinepilsner

Iowa

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz brown bottle

This beer is black in color with a slight hint of red when held to a light. The thick tan head has good retention and leaves moderate lacing behind. The aroma is mainly of roasted grains. Upon tasting the bitterness is noticable right away the flavor of burnt coffee. The finish is bitter also. This beer is a medium bodied and almost creamy. Quite drinkable but not really a session beer.

09-04-2004 02:54:43 | More by afinepilsner
EagleTalon

Oklahoma

4.33/5  rDev +17%

The best of the Guinness stouts i've reviewed. Pours to a generous tan head and deep ruby black color. Aroma is sweet-mocha dessertlike. Flavor is a solid bittersweet combination of malts and roasted barley for the espresso flavor effect. Finishes roasty, nicely bitter (but not nearly as dry as the draught stout). I forgot how good this stuff was. I will definitely ask for it in the future.

08-21-2004 02:17:06 | More by EagleTalon
cypressbob

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

3.4/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

330ml bottle

Pours with a dark milky head, not the pure white or longevity of guinness draught, darker and more sublime

The smell is akin to a strong cup of coffee, espresso perhaps. A strong malty aroma.

The taste slightly chocolatly (think green and blacks), with a vanilla and coffee buzz followed by a dry harsher aftertaste, overcarbonated, much too fizzy

A nice stout, doesnt go down as well as the draught though

08-05-2004 20:33:27 | More by cypressbob
Hibernator

4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

I had this out of 22 oz brown bottle served in a pint glass.

The appearance is a dark jet black with about a 1 inch head. The head was fluffy and off white. Really nice sticky lacings present themselves on the side of the glass and stay.

Smell is a sugary sweetness and notes of full flavored coffee.

This is a robust and tasty classic stout. Roasted flavors are very in front with a slight bitterness to finish. I taste some coffee and a little bit of molasses.

Guinness Extra Stout is a staple dry stout. I actually prefer the Extra Stout over the nitro Guinness, for the sheer complexity that this one has over its counterpart.

07-28-2004 20:40:33 | More by Hibernator
jayb

Iowa

pours out Black, with subtle hints of red. a khaki, whip cream head that left chunks of lacing on the glass as it went down. smell was of roasted coffee, baker's chocolate, a little bit of caramel and a slight ting of alcohol.
taste was delightful. Coffeebeans, bakers chocolate again, plenty of burnt malt taste, and a nice dry hoppy bittereness. this beer has a bitter taste that lingers in the mouth after each sip. finish is dry. mouthfeel is midly creamy, thinner than i anticipated but lovely none-the-less. good solid beer, good availability. worth a shot no doubt.

07-23-2004 04:50:53 | More by jayb
alexAK

Alaska

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a dark chocolate-like color, though not quite a full black. Head settles into a thin lace but remains consistent.

Aroma is a little muted but pleasant and guards the character of this stout.

Hops combine with subtle coffee aromas providing a filling but not over-powering flavor. The bitterness is almost a little weak, but lingers enough to be satisfactory. This helps because the mouthfeel is not as full as I'd like.

Overall very drinkable, but lacks some of the complexity of the foreign export version. I have a soft spot for Guinness though and this stout gets my whole-hearted approval.

07-19-2004 08:29:47 | More by alexAK
Jacobob10

4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

This was my first experience with a Guinness other than Guinness Draught, and I must say it was enjoyable. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle.

Pours out as black as night with a huge, fluffy, pillow-like, dark tan head. Beautiful appearance. Very subtle, roasted malt aroma. The taste is wonderful and has a bit more life to it than the smell suggests. Hints of coffee, smoke, and alcohol. There was a slight amount of lacing, but nothing major compared to what Guinness Draught gives you. Full-bodied and creamy. A meal in a bottle, but suprisingly drinkable. I could drink these all night long as a session beer, but the 22 oz. bottle really filled me up.

A very tasty brew!

07-11-2004 14:17:50 | More by Jacobob10
Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.