Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,626 | Reviews: 1,285
4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

Bought some for St Pat's to make Guinness stew. worked out great.

appearance: deep dark black, nearly ebony, loaded head and creamy froth.

smell: good hops, and slight chocolate aromas

taste: rich and slight chocolate roasted flavors but had a smooth rich taste, Very Dry, not sweet at all.

mouthfeel: thick, creamy, good carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: Solid, can;t decide if I liek the regular better or not. both solid, guess it depends on my mood

3.41/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into an imperial pint.

Pours a nice dark chocolate, mahogany color with a nice ample two finger head that settles to a cap and leaves impressive stick around the glass.

Aroma is surprisingly fruity hops and dark roasted malt. Strangely, the hops and fruity yeast actually hit the nose before the dark malt does, that is interesting. Deeper whiffs bring coffee, cream and a hint of dark fruit.

Flavor is dark fruit on the front, very sweet and caramelized dark fruit. Middle brings a dark roasted malt bitterness with a slight metallic twang that is a bit distracting. Finishes impressively sweet despite the "dry stout" labeling. Hops make themselves present more in the finish than anywhere else and they shine there, not a bad finish actually. The only thing bringing this beer down is that weird metallic flavor I can't track down. Is it the water? Is it the hops? Bad capping? I would honestly give it a 4.5 if not for the metal flavor.

Mouthfeel is quite creamy and full. To be honest I don't even know why they do the nitro-cans, because it's perfect out of the bottle. If someone needs softer carbonation than this, go find a cask ale, cuz this isn't bad.

Better than I remember now that my tastes have matured, would make an excellent go to stout when I can't find NG Coffee Stout.

3.91/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours pitch black with a decent, thick tan head. Lace really sticks to the glass. Smell of roasted hops, smoke, caramel, and a slight hoppiness. Really bitter with an ash like taste and a hint of the darkest coffee. Has a thick consistency but goes down smooth with a slight tingle as it hits the bottom of the esophagus with a dry, bitter aftertaste. Good beer but I have heard that it does not export well so I am wondering what it really tastes like over in Ireland, good beer overall.

4.12/5  rDev +11.4%

[Appearance]: Deep dark brown to black color with a nice tan head.
[Smell]: Dark roasted malts, coffee, hint of earthly.
[Taste]: Roasted malts, coffee, hint of dark chocolate, also I can detect some dry fruitiness at the end.
[Mouthfeel]: Medium to heavy bodied.
[Drinkability]: Great stout! Worth buying again.

3.59/5  rDev -3%

In a US pint glass.

Nice black color with a pale brown head.

Smell: A little bit of grain and roastiness. Improves as it warms. But not that impressive.

Taste. OK grain tasted. Roasty. But not as flavorful as any other stout I've had recently. Not a complex flavor.

MF: good, unlike Draught, which is too watery for me. This has some body. Good carbonation.

D: from what I remember, this is much better than Draught. I can't tell if this isn't a great beer or if I don't like Irish Dry stouts very much, because this and Draught are the only ones I've had.

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%

A- Pours motor oil black/brown color with a nice creamy dark tan head. Good solid 'Guinness like' lacing all the way down.

S- Roasted malty nose with hints of dark chocolate, coffee, caramel, and hazelnut.

T- Roasty toasty malts with the slightest hint of coffee and chocolate.

M- Surprisingly light for a stout and barely any carbonation (which is indicative of the style).

D- Not a bad brew, I enjoyed it better than the original.

3.61/5  rDev -2.4%

A- Pours the color of liquid smoke with a one finger cocoa head.

S- Lightly roasted malt scents with alight grain (oat) back note.

T- Opens with toasted malts, mid palate is semi sweet, finishes slightly bitter with herbal hop notes.

M- A touch thin for a stout.

D- An above average beer which is very tasty for being as cheap as it is.

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

Guinness Extra Stout is the only Guinness I will buy. I can't stand regular Guinness, its bland and flavorless; its smoky flavored water and that's it. The Extra Stout has a fierce bite and dry, really dry, and I have always enjoyed it. I've been drinking Extra Stout for quite some time but have never reviewed it. Its always been apart of my default beer, when I wanted something good but wasn't feeling adventurous, but still was looking for that bitter bite that I crave.

Served in a frozen pint glass

Appearance: Cola-like, clear and black. Nice, thick, light brown head but little retention. I turned around and the head just disappeared. My heart sank...

Smell: Nose is light but contains a dry hoppy bite. Irish dry stouts aren't something I drink on a regular basis so the scent is a little foreign to me. I can pick up some light coffee, roasted malts, and a flutter of candied dark fruit in the background. GES always seems to have a scent that really stands out from other stouts. I like that.

Taste: Bitter with a sweet punch at the end. Its hoppy with some nice coffee, toffee, and some hidden chocolate notes. Its dry, really dry even. It definitely stays true to the Irish Dry Stout tradition.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy and very dry. I needed some water to keep drinking haha.

Drinkability: Its good but I don't know if the wimpy 6% ABV is worth the effort. I think stout and I think 9% and higher. For an Irish Dry Stout its good but there is definitely some better stuff out there. Its great effort for a BMC.reputation.

Cheers!

-Dotson

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

I can say that Guinness draught is likely the beer that got me inspired me to keep trying more. I finally come around to try this one.

This is a very good looking beer, fluffy white head and good lace.

Smell is earthy and hoppy.

Taste is really nothing like Guinness draught. Reminds me of a dark lager.

Mouth is relatively thick with high carbonation.

Good for style but not for me.

2.99/5  rDev -19.2%

I poured this into a pint glass. It's opaque black/brown with a strong, two finger beige head. Looks like a stout. The head maintains, as Guinness is usually good for.

I get the smell of charred wood, malts, nothing out of the ordinary. Not exactly a defined aroma.

Tastes okay, better than the Guinness Draught I had last night. Just a tinge of chocolate, there's a dry, burnt taste and coffee on the back of my tongue. A little bland, I expected a little more definition from something labeled "extra stout."

Seems a little light and easy going for a stout. The carbonation is minimal, as you might imagine. Not sure more of this would help.

It is drinkable. There's no struggle, but also nothing to savor.

When serving it thought i was taking oil from the bottle;

A: Deep black color, the foamy head is brown, fat and thick, excellent retention;

S: Perfumed with floral hops, along with scents of roasted malt, chocolate and pitted prunes;

T: Roasted malt and spicy hops, just touching the tongues perceives roasted coffee and chocolate, which dominates the other flavors;

M: Dry, extra bitter, medium carbonation and robust body;

D: Was my first stout and is currently one of my favorite beers.

4.35/5  rDev +17.6%

Appearance: black with a decent sized head

Smell: malt, coffee, and earthiness

Taste: same as the smell, with some additional spice and burnt tones to it

Mouthfeel: smooth, creamy, and sweet

Drinkability: Like everyone else, I had to have this on St. Patrick's day. One of the first beers to get me into craft beer and one of the best. I have not tasted anything like it..Creamy and sweet, not too heavy--just a good solid brew

3.86/5  rDev +4.3%

12oz bottle poured into tumbler:
A: Pitch black with a dark finger's head that receded moderately quickly but left a small cap and good lacing down the way.
S: Roasted malts, dark berry, some buttery-sweet diacetyl action
T: Burnt with bittersweet chocolate on the front while metallic with a subtle hoppy bitterness on the back end of the palate.
M: Moderate, yet the burnt taste gives it a faux-fullness
D: I know it's not for everyone, a little too intimidating for most, but it's damn good. Extra point bump just for being so widely available.
Happy St. Patty's Day.

3.91/5  rDev +5.7%

Bought a six pack for St. Patrick's Day. Twelve ounce bottle poured into pint glass. Pours pitch black topped by about two fingers of mocha colored head. This fades to a small cap. Lacing is all over the sides of the glass though. Looks great.

Aromas of roasted malt and chocolate. Maybe some coffee. Some other sweetness that I can't pin down. None of the smells are very strong.

Tastes good. Lots of roasted malt upfront as well as some smokiness. Some butterscotch sweetness in the middle. Dark chocolate on the finish. Some floral hops come and go. Aftertaste is a little bitter. A faint metallic taste in the background. Drying at the end.

Good mouthfeel. Fairly creamy. Good amount of carbonation, but slightly overcarbonated. Medium to full bodied.

This is very drinkable. Malty yet balanced. I think this is a good representation of the style. While not as creamy as some stouts, this is still a solid beer. This beer is far and away better than Guinness Draught. Unlike the Draught, this has a lot of taste and isn't watery.

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

After my last experience with the draught cans (hello taste where did you go) I was a little less then excited to try the Stout again - although I remember it being a nice brew.

Poured a bottle into a mug and watched the nice dark stout rise to the top with a nice creamy tan head. Nice lace retention.

Smells like a sweet coffee/malt or something along those lines.

Tastes malty and nutty just like the smell almost; like a coffee.

Drinkability is very nice I could drink eight or ten of these tonight and have a good time. This is the Guinness I remember, this is a nice treat. I forgot how good it was. This will be the only Guinness to drink for me from now on.

3.34/5  rDev -9.7%

Pitch black appearance with nice amount of creamy fizzy head. Sour wine-ish smell. Dry roasted malt flavor with a little bit of the sour wine, dark chocolate and coffee. Some metallic flavors lingering from the bottle. Taste finishes very bitter. A thick syrupy mouthfeel with noticeable carbonation. Not extreme or complex by any means and very drinkable.

It's St. Patrick's Day, so if there's any day to drink one of these it's today.

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours I believe black but up to the light you can see reddish highlight's. Coffee colored heading,really no lacing at all.

Smell is ridiculously malty,coffee and a touch of chocolate.

Taste is all dry malt upfront and kind of roasted/burnt aftertaste. I really couldn't taste any hops.

Mouthfeel is very creamy and smooth

Drinkability is decent nothing spectacular too much of a burnt malt aftertaste to enjoy more than a few.

This is the first time I've had the extra stout and from what I hear is the closest thing to the real deal. I will advocate the draught next.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

An Irish beverage, on St. Paddy day - brewed in that quaint old country from afar; Canada.

Out of the 12oz bottle she poured, a rich and thick looking coal black, topped in the Sammy Adams tulip glass with a foamy tan cap. Bits of sheet lace ring the glass on the way down.

Dry burnt toast in the aroma, backed by a sturdy malt kick. Powered cocoa, malt and just a hint of dried dark fruit. Full bodied, but with the signature dry finish. Very enjoyable, and a fine dry stout, quaffable on cool mornings or hotter evenings - no matter what the beer snobs on BA say. The sixer will make for a fine Irish evening out on the deck.

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

St. Patrick's Day, of course

A: pours black with generous light brown head

S: strong aroma of coffee and tosted malts

T: very dry, malty sweetness with the flavor of bitter coffee

M: light carbonation a little thick

D: as a rule i reserve any guinness for st. patrick's day, it's a bit too filling for me to drick year-round

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Thick, dark, very opaque, almost black. Very foamy light head, tan in color, sticks to the side of the glass. Not as attractive as the Draught bottle/can or tap.

S: Roasty, smokey, nutty a bit sour on the finish

T: Like a Stout should, lightly malty, very nutty, and smokey, a little sour on the finish, does a good job of tasting like it smells. Medium body, not as watery as the nitro bottle, I like the taste better, it's sweeter.

M: Feels thicker than the nitro bottle/can or tap. Doesn't have that bitterness to it, a bit sour on the end.

D: Definitely a beer I could session. It almost has a food quality to eat, like you're eating the beer.

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Almost black. Thick and foamy cream colored head has nice retention. Leaves good lace. Not as cool to look at as the nitro version, but still a good presentation.

S: Coffee and Espresso notes dominate. A little bit of grass/moss.

T: Lots of roasted malt and coffee flavors that are a touch acidic. A hint of charcoal. Dry finish.

M: Medium body has a bit too much carbonation.

D: The perfect social stout. Maybe not the greatest stout in the world, but certainly the benchmark by which others are judged. And St Patrick's Day just wouldn't be the same without it!

3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

A - Pours jet black with large tan head. Retention was medium and there was slight lacing.

S - Roasted malt with a slight bit of hops.

T - Roasted malt and coffee flavors dominate. The taste is much more refined compared to the draught. Small amount of hop bitterness in the finish helps to balance things out.

M - Not as creamy as I would have liked, mild carbonation.

D - It would help if there was a little more creaminess. Moderately drinkable.

2.68/5  rDev -27.6%

Thought I should finally try this as (contract brewery aside) it's the original Guinness Stout. Beautiful pour, nice foamy tan head that never full receded. Smell was average, dark malt, typical Guinness really. Taste... ugh, here we go. Nothing in here but black malt and roasted barley charcoal astingency, mixed with some hop bitterness. I was able to drink the whole thing as I needed something to wash down my lunch, but really this is not my cup of java. I'll stick with Draught.

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Canadian-brewed 1 pint, 6 fl. oz. bottle.

Pours a deep dark brown, striving toward opacity but not quite reaching it, as it displays some ruby-brown highlights when held to the light. Shows off a thick, creamy light tan head that lasts a while and leaves fat rings of lacing down the sides of the glass.

Aroma is mild, without much going on besides a lightly roasty character with a bit of a malty backbone being faintly apparent.

Medium-bodied with very little carbonation; smooth-going, with a thick, slightly sweet malt backbone that surprisingly becomes somewhat cloying at times, intermingling with a mild roastiness and a bit of light hop bite. A touch of dry toast comes in, and the beer finishes with a slight sweetness that is dominated by a roasted character that imparts a lingering dryness.

Quite sessionable, though perhaps not quite so much as its lower-alcohol draft counterpart. Quite good; this one's wide availability and well-known reputation make it one to go to and one to recommend to the uninitiated.

3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

Guinness Extra Stout, purchased and consumed in Japan eleven months before its freshness date, brewing origin is unknown however.

Pours a very dark brown with a tan head, moderate carbonation, ubiquitous lacing. Looks pretty enticing!

Not too much is given away as far as aroma is concerned. Some milky/lactose notes, not sure if I'm imagining them but it smells like a warm creamy milk stout. I didn't think this one had milk in it but maybe I'm associating the wrong aroma. Malt smells are not too noticeable, may be served too cold, but it's a nice temperature to drink it at right now. Aroma could be improved by warming up but I don't think there's too much there to expand on.

Tastes a bit sharp for a stout, bitter piquant hops on the palate, surprisingly fresh and biting. Toasty malt, a vegemite-like yeastiness and a hint of alcohol there too (surprising for a 5% brew). A little bit too coarse for my liking, now that I think about it; but hey, it's really a macro, so it's pretty good for what it is.

Mouthfeel is astringent and rough, but it's easy to drink because it's not too creamy, so they balance each other out. Overall, yes I'll drink it again, it's fucking Guinness, and yes I did this just to review this brew once and for all. As far as the beer market in Japan goes - not a bad brew at all.

My neighbour insists on drinking it warm, and from the bottle. "Warm" is relative and can be excused, but what do you get out of it from drinking straight from the bottle? But he's a belligerent Derryman so what are you gonna do.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.