Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
shererjt

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured an opaque black with a hint of ruby redness. Moderate carbonation with a light brown, rocky head. Nose was burnt toast and chocolate with some fruitiness as well. Very pleasant aroma; also had some hints of coffee in the background. Body was medium-to-full. Strong burnt notes in the flavor followed by fruit and bitterness and the classic Guinness sourness at the end. Full and pleasant mouthfeel. The drinkabiltiy suffers a bit compared to the draft version but it's still quite good.

A classic beer, and a pretty darn good one to boot. It doesn't quite move me like it used to, but it's still excellent. Definitely more of the sipping variety stout rather than the "let's drink 10 pints" kind. Also rather potent; ye be warned.

01-29-2006 02:39:55 | More by shererjt
Jredner

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

Aroma is kind of molasses and lagery with sweet malts and something corny, but it actually smells ok taken as a whole. Black body holds a firm and creamy thumb thick head that is mostly lasting. Flavor is sweet and malty. Hints of raisin and chocolate. Tastes a lot like a Schwarzbier to my palate, but I like it. Extremely different flavor palate from the draft. And extremely better.

01-28-2006 15:54:00 | More by Jredner
Koolbreeze2

Connecticut

4.45/5  rDev +20.3%

There are better Stouts but due to actually having Guinness in my blood it is difficult for me to provide a fair review. I am 60 and had my first taste of Guinness at 6. I grew up in a very Irish family and children were not only allowed to have a sip of Guinness but we were encouraged to do so. In the 60's I visited the Guinness Brewery in Dublin. They had no limit on how much you could drink or how long you could stay. Thats why its still running through my veins. Anyhow, here is the review. Short and to the pint, sorry, to the point.
Appearence-Black as an Irish night with a great tan head to dip your nose into. Don't tip your glass when you pour. Just watch it cascade.

Smell-Lovely. Smells like a Guinness! Get some on the floor so the whole room has that Irish odor.

Taste-Yup, lots of it. To me its the original Stout. Sometimes has a coffee taste, some chocolate and a little leather mixed in. Great for that fried egg and bacon breakfast with white toast and real butter.

Mouthfeel-Wonderful. Makes your mouth feel good. Very light and refreshing.

Drinkability-After three pints I begin to hear my Grandmother voice in that deep brogue saying,"another wee one Johnnie?" Try it in a tapered beer glass for the full effect of that lovely head. Even more drinkable then. Every year we get a keg for our annual porch party. Stout stains will give any floor character and actually add value to your home. Enjoy.

01-21-2006 18:27:30 | More by Koolbreeze2
mmmbeer

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

12 oz. with some sediment in the bottom of the bottle and no freshness date. It pours black with a half-inch tan head that has medium to fine bubbles and good lacing by the end. It smells of dark fruits, hops, and maybe some caramel. It has a medium body that smooths as it warms and it tastes of roasted/black malts, raisins, vinous malts, and a bitterness from both the hops and the black malts. It leaves a long, bitter finish. Tastes better than the draught but is not quite as drinkable.

01-19-2006 04:59:49 | More by mmmbeer
Mitchel

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

Guinness Extra Stout pours as black as the inside of a cow with its’ eyes shut (if you have no imagination, that means really black). The head is great. It is creamy looking and hang about for a good bit. The lacing is okay but again the retention is pretty good. It smells like roasted coffee, dark malt, and a very light hint of alcohol. Estery.

Tastes immediately like malts and fruit with a nice hint of hops coming through the sweetness. Finishes a bit burnt tasting with a nice earthy dryness.

Now, for those of you who say that Guinness (either extra stout or draught) is the say all, end all of stouts….I disagree. However, having said that, I really think that this beer is the standard for a stout. Many beers have been based upon this one and the fact that they haven’t changed the recipe in two and a half centuries really says something. Guinness is good.

01-17-2006 04:24:42 | More by Mitchel
nlmartin

4.68/5  rDev +26.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer poured classic guinness blackness with that dark foamy head. There was small rings marking the passage of the beer from my glass.

Smell: The smell was of abit of coffee and malted goodness.

Taste: This is not a particularly complex brew. The taste was malty with a bit of hops for good measure.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer is full bodied. The beer was properly carbonated. There was a time when my measure for beer crack was Guiness. There are many stouts that surpass Guiness; however, Guiness is in a class all by itself.

01-11-2006 14:41:56 | More by nlmartin
coasterfreak75

3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

The pour was pitch black with a creamy tan one finger head that slowly dissapated and left a thin tan lace on the glass and the top of the beer throughout the drink.

The smell was heavy in coffee, caramel and hops with a strange fruit undertone that was totally unexpected.

The drink started with a quick hit of mild hops followed by caramel and coffee sweetness the finish was a lingering mild bitterness but still the drink was too thin for my stout taste.

All and all the beer was great it was quite drinkable and a great choice with beef or pork but just thinner in flavor and mouthfeel than I expected.

01-08-2006 23:57:02 | More by coasterfreak75
nicksta

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

The beer pours an impressive and relatively black solid. The brown head that disappears quickly brings it down a point. The smell is good. Like a mocha cappichino, hmm hm! The taste is slightly chocolatly. I say slightly because it isn't as sweet as Guinness Draught original, and that isn't a good thing. The taste is rounded out with a slightly bitter coffee taste. It is really excellent and smooth. However, every now and then some pungent alcoholic tastes will ring through and really ruin it for me. The mouthfeel is good. It is slightly thick with no carbonation coating of the mouth. As for the drinkability the coffee bitterness does get to you during a big gulp but for drinking regularly it is good. Not as good as the original, but then again, few are. Best as a session, and nothing to drink steadily.

01-01-2006 06:46:46 | More by nicksta
Mandrake

Nova Scotia (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a near black, with a fairly small dark tan head that mostly dissipates quite rapidly, but leaves a nice ring the whole way down. Smell is matly, with bitter chocolate and some hints of hops. Tastes bittersweet, with the chocolate coming through in the finish. Mouthfeel is quite good, thick enough to have presence without impacting the drinkability.

01-01-2006 02:11:58 | More by Mandrake
pbr85

4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance: Pours a nice jet black with a 3/4" off white foam head. Pretty standard stout look. Lacing is good.

Smell: Fruity with hints of flowery hops and caramel.

Taste: Mango-y fruits up front quickly hidden by a sudden onrush of toasty malts that ends with the malt character slowly diminishing after you swallow. Very tasty and surprisingly complex.

Mouthfeel: To me, this feels chunky, even for a stout. Carbonation is good. Overall, mouthfeel makes me think that I'm eating a meal...definetly not at all bad.

Drinkability: Considering that I am used to drinking higher ABV in a stout, I would have to say that this is very drinkable for its style. I would definetly order this in a bar. Probably my favorite "popular" beer.

12-29-2005 05:29:19 | More by pbr85
chOAKbarrell

Maryland

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Guiness Extra Stout is SO MUCH better than the draught that it is hard to believe draught is the more popular one.

Whereas the draught is mostly bland, uncarbonated, limp, lifeless, and flavorless, the Extra Stout is (to me) what a real stout should be.

The appearance is great: nice large caramel colored head. Fluffed and full of lacing.

Kind of a neutral nose - not too much of anything distinctive stands out.

Taste is great - bitter, full bodied, and roasted. The bitterness is great. I'd have to say its more bitter than most stouts I've had. However, it dies away to reveal a roastyness in the finish that is very pleasing. Great aftertaste. Also has carbonation, which is what the draught Guinness is sorely lacking.

This is a great beer that works just as well for a session beer as Guinness Draught does, except Extra Stout tastes so much better. I've had it before & I'll be having it again - many times I'm sure.

12-25-2005 22:36:55 | More by chOAKbarrell
scruffwhor

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance- A coffee brown body with a creamy brown that lasts about 2 minutes then turns into a permanent film throughout the drinking time.

Smell- a decent mix of esters and butery smells with some mocha sweetness to give it a typical stout smell.

Taste- Starts out with a dry estery tartness and ends with a creamy butter note intermingled with chocolate.

Mouthfeel- A litle creamy, but mostly a dry, estery palate.

Drinkability- If you can enjoy a stout, you can drink a couple of these. The dryness might turn your palate into a wasteland of sorts, but it also allows this beer to be consumed en masse.

12-16-2005 03:51:13 | More by scruffwhor
Phatz

3.18/5  rDev -14.1%

This is a very decent, acceptable middle of the road beer. It is above average for what you can find in (its price range) and most bars and restaurants around my house carry it, but to me it is an overall average (good) Irish Dry Stout. Very aproachable.

Appearance: This beer pours dark as motor oil. Nice. With a good 3 finger head and great retention. It maintains its frothy coating throughout the duration of the beer. Good lacing.

Smell: Sour, like a granny smith apple. A hint of mint, like a wafer thin mint.

Taste: Sour and slightly bitey but not offensive; just enough to make your tongue curl a bit. It has a bit of a toothpaste (fluoride) taste or an after diner mint. It also has the typical Irish Stout aftertaste that just lingers and stays with you. I need another dink or a snack chaser. Not a problem if I am drinking them back-to-back (session beer to me).
This beer is DEFFINATELY better warm than fridge temp. It is a good bar beer but they serve it WAY to cold. I'd suggest asking for 3 beers and a glass. You may find you enjoy the third (warmer) better than the first. It mellows tremendously as it warms (and you warm too:)

Mouthfeel: It has a bit thinner mouthfeel than I prefer for a stout; but that is putting it up against (more expensive) craft beers. For beer in this price range this is top of its league, for a beer in comparison to all beer it is a middle of the road choice. It is a bit syrupy but not quite enough (for my taste). It does have a nice dry crispness.

Drinkability: This beer does sit very light in your stomach for a stout, and has a relatively low ABV. It is easy to put several down back-to-back. I know it is not technically a session beer, but to me it drinks like one. I can find Guinness Extra Stout in restaurants with a very limited beer selection and it is an acceptable choice.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

12-15-2005 04:55:22 | More by Phatz
jarmby1711

Australia

This was the Australian brewed version, by CUB in NSW .They should steal the recipe .
This had a great combination of flavours There was coffee , burnt grains and a faintish hint of alcoholic esters.It managed them subtley and with wonderfull balance.
This is a very drinkable session stout for mine and outweighs the Draught version on all points.
Sipped it watching some Fawlty Towers and Ripping Yarns. Damn good

12-12-2005 10:54:48 | More by jarmby1711
beeroclock

United Arab Emirates

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

Appearance is slightly better than the London Porter or the Guinness Draught as this one holds the head throughout the length of the beer, its a bit more creamy.
Smell is coffee like.
Taste has hints of coffee and a nice subtle flavor.
Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, the way a beer should be.
Drinkability is really good, but its very filling.

11-22-2005 15:15:31 | More by beeroclock
Finite

Australia

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

I must admit I haven’t quite mastered to power of the stout yet so I’m still getting used to the flavours. Regardless I have never had a Guinness in my life (well in 3 years of beer drinking) so here we go. I thought it would be very interesting to try and see how a stout noob likes it.

Black as night, no light through this. Tanned head about a 1/3 inch settling down to 1/4 inch as it stabilises, leaving a trail of head down the glass, stunning. Smells of thick coffee and some sweet burnt malt.

I sip it for the first time ever....

Wow, its strong, burnt malts, thick, coffee, and alcohol. It’s all there. I stoped at this point and wondered if I should proceed? I took a bite of bread to clean the palette and tried again. Getting better. Its full intense flavour, Guinness doesn’t attempt to hide the alcohol its right there. It switches fast to roasted malt then it smooths out, just when you think it’s over, here comes the after taste of bitterness and dryness when the hops kick in.

By the 5th sip im loving it. I can sit back and let the flavours change. I feel like its giving me a show in my mouth.

Feels good in the mouth, the carbonisation is a little much but levels out the flavours well.

My first Guinness and not my last. A great stout, a great session beer.

On the first sip I was wondering why I wasted my money, by the last I was on the ground with a ring, its always nice when a beer convinces you to like it. This is a great beer.

Good work!

11-22-2005 10:28:16 | More by Finite
GuinnessHero

Mississippi

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

Now this is the Guinness I love :)

Appearance - Black as black can be. Wonderful perfectly poured head passing the matchstick test I gave it.

Smell - Chocolate and coffee fill the air.

Taste - Wonderful. Much more carbonation than the draught style which makes this much better than the regular. Chocolate and coffee flavor rush the pallet as this thick brew goes down. Awesome.

Mouthfeel - After taking that down, it's so thick that it seems to coat my throat making it sometimes hard to swallow. Anyone else have that problem?

Drinkability - Since this is so heavy and dark, it is hard to down after awhile. Excellent session beer.

This was the first beer I ever had back in the summer before my senior year. First bottle I was disgusted, second was better, third I was in love. Guinness is an acquired taste...not for the Corona or Bud Light drinkers of the world.

11-22-2005 04:51:13 | More by GuinnessHero
HugoGrim

3.7/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an imperial pint. Consumed as a complement to desert (as I often do with stouts). Pumpkin cheesecake in this case.

Very little head which dissipated almost immediately, which is very disappointing with a stout. Also no rings down the glass.

A stronger scent than standard Guinness. I could tell right away from the smell that it is also much stronger in alcohol content, and in checking the numbers I was correct, at 6 % ABV it is substantially stronger.

The flavor is much fuller and more intense than the Draught. First and foremost it has an initial intense bitterness that the Draught does not have. This bitterness stays with you. The body of the flavor is that of roasted oats and nuts with a maltyness. Just a hint of coffee.

More carbonitation than Draught, though not as smooth.

11-21-2005 00:24:36 | More by HugoGrim
tastybeer

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Dark/black with real nice lacing at first that disipates as I drink. Looks good. In the smell a caramel like sweetness takes over at first, but once you get into the beer the roastiness and the fruity hop character help counter the sweetness. Tastes complex with roasted malts and burnt coffee beans. Strong bitterness throughout the finish.

Extra stouty.

11-17-2005 04:53:37 | More by tastybeer
kkipple

South Carolina

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

What can I say that hasn't been said a million times over by devoted Guinness fans? We all know what this beer looks, smells and tastes like. This is one of the beers that got me into drinking good beer, which counts for a lot in my book.

Simply put, Guinness Extra Stout is an affordable, tasty, and classic dry stout. Far superior to Guinness Draught; Extra Stout has a richer, thicker taste.
This is a great introduction to the stout / porter style and an old standby for me. Are there better stouts out there? Sure. Are there ones that are as accessible and can be had from Wal-mart? Not that I know of.

11-17-2005 04:38:08 | More by kkipple
acrawf6

Louisiana

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

Brewed in New Brunswick, Canada in a 12 oz bottle.

poured out a light golden yellow with a bright white head. Bad joke? Sorry. It is black like any other stout. Head is a slightly light tan color.

A deep and molasses and malty aroma, some roasted malts, but not a whole lot compared to others in its style. Little hints of coffee.

Taste: Heavier on the malt. Some hints of bitter black coffee. Not all that much coming from the hops that stands out, other than being on the bitter side on the aftertaste... but it is balanced. This one is kinda hard with my stuffy nose.

Mouthfeel is seems average for a stout. a lot better than the draught version, but i'm sure that goes without said. Good amount of carbonation. It feels good in the mouth, heavy and flavorfull.

I think this one is a good and drinkable beer. From reading other reviews of greater ba's, i cannot compare this one to any others from the vast selection of Guinness extra stout. But i do think it is a good stout, definitely one you can fall back on if its all you can get at your grocery store.

11-15-2005 02:19:37 | More by acrawf6
BDTyre

British Columbia (Canada)

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%

Yup...really weird story behind this one. In Vancouver, the Guinness Extra Stout that is sold is brewed by Labatt in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. It comes in a traditional long-neck 12oz bottle with a shiny, gold-bronze label. It does not taste like Guinnes Pub Draught (canned or bottled) or Guinness on tap, nor is it intended to, supposedly (because it is an "extra stout" vs. the regular Guinness).

The Guinnes Extra Stout available in the US (at least in Washington state) is brewed...in Canada, but not by Labatt. This is actually brewed by...Guinness in New Brunswick. Same name, different beer. The labels on the bottle are almost identical, except the "American" Guinnes ES is the dull yellow, traditional label and reads "imported." Yes, imported from Canada. The Labatt Guinness reads 5% abv, while the New Brunswick Guinness does not list an abv (though it may on the bigger 22oz bottles).

In taste, the two are completely different creatures. They seem to follow the same recipe, but the New Brunswick "American" Guinness comes off as a smoother, better beer.

This Guinness has the look of a stout: black, with faint ruby hints especially when held up to the light. Smells bitter, but with the definite presence of roasted malts. The small is harsh, almost overdone; very similar to the Labatt Guinness.

In taste, this is a far superior product. While it still contains an overdone, burnt malt feel, this stout is mellower and has much more subtle flavours to it. Whereas the Labatt Guinness comes off as harsh, industrial and over-produced, this at least has some subtle coffee hints. There is some diacetyl present, and some hops too. There is bitterness here, but this is still drinkable.

On the tongue, this still has a rather metallic, harsh acid feel to it. I find this also in the Labatt Guinness. It acceptable, but not very plesant. Regardless, this a drinkable beer and despite being a bit thin, is a good introduction stouts. Far more acceptable the the "domestic" Guinness. I'm rather pissed, as both are brewed in Canada yet the better product is made for export only. I much prefer this and the risk of having to pay duty to import it than drink another Labatt Guinness.

Overall, Guinness on tap is much preferred. (At least this is more drinkable than the bottled/canned pub draught.)

11-08-2005 09:50:28 | More by BDTyre
sevineyes

Arkansas

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from standard bottle with black & yellow label.

A: Great deep color. Good head and lacing.

S: Just really not getting much smell off this at all.

T: Not much of an initial taste and some of the mid-tones boil off into carbonation a little too quick for me. Has a good hop bitter finish. Good lingering aftertaste similar to a robust coffee.

M: Somewhat watery. Not as full as I feel a stout ought to be.

D: Man, a great drinkable stout. Many can be a little overbearing in this category.

Overall: I wish there was a category for "influence". I can't imagine the impact this beer has had as being a threshold beer for mass-market drinkers. Personally, I cut my teeth into beers because of Guinness and I'm sure I'm not alone. Even though many of the attributes of this beer don't stand up to other stouts I've had through the years, it's hard not to respect the impact and influence it's had in its history.

11-06-2005 21:42:16 | More by sevineyes
nickss

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a deep deep black with barely perceptible dark brown highlights. The head is big and thick and chunky, and refuses to disappear. As I drink, big chunks of lace cling to the glass. Very pretty beer... far better than I expected it to look, although I guess they've been doing this awhile =P

Qualifier: I am sick... I have a sinus infection, so I cannot smell much. That being said, I pick up big malt odors, strung along with coffee and some deep toffee scent. I wish I could pick up more, but from what I can pick up, it smells nice, although not too complex.

Big, rich flavor. Much more in your face than the Draught... which is definitely a good thing. Definitely a bit of coffee in this one... not too much else.

As far as mouthfeel... hah... Guinness is the reason BMC drinkers dont like dark beer. "It feels like I'm drinking a milkshake!"... "You're gawdayyam right it does." Huge thick, milkshake like feel. Truly wonderful.

Unfortunately, with the huge mouthfeel comes limited drinkability. I simply cannot drink more than three of these without being completely full. Oh well. Such is life. All in all, quite good for a style I usually think is fairly bland. I guess those centuries of brewing have taught them something after all =D

11-02-2005 22:23:25 | More by nickss
Gaben

Guinness is the original starter for any stout fan for sure, was the very 1st stout I have ever tasted and is what got me started for being a stout fan.

Ive had a couple of bottles last night and was still digging this amazing beer. I have to say that extra sout is a hell of alot better then guinness draught.

Appearance is fine , very black and bubbly , the foam seems to leave after settles a second.

Smells has a bit of coffee icecream smell too it with bit of a alcohol kick.

Taste is amazing , its very simliar to alot of imperial stout's with a good after effect.

I could usualy drink alot of these but this isnt as smooth or easy to drink then a draught.

10-30-2005 00:23:28 | More by Gaben
Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.