Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
2.78/5  rDev -24.9%

Contracted brewed for Guinness by Labatt in Canada. Pours a very dark brown, verging on black. Not quite opaque, with garnet highlights. Light, frothy tan head, lots of lace.

Smells primarily of fruity esters, typical of other guinness products. I'd describe them as candy-like green apple (not quite the acetaldehyde green apple, though). Some acrid roast and raisin-like fruity-caramel.

Taste contains a lot of the same candy-like esters, some DMS (surprisingly), light roast malt flavours with a somewhat sour 'zing' of some sort, reminiscent of something I can't quite put my finger on; almost a cider-ish flavour. For a guinness product, I'm really not impressed. Maybe it's just a bad batch. Slight sweet raisin fruitiness and some munich-like grainy malt; finishes roasty-dry

Moutfeel is medium-full. Somewhat chewey, but finish is clean and dry.

Not especially drinkable, but it's not cloying, either.

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance - Dark chocolate brown with a creamy tan/sienna head. As I drank it it left one of the nicest Lacings I've seen in a long time.

Smell - Faintly bitter barley smell at first later accompanied by a roasty coffee-like aroma.

Taste - The two most predominent tastes up front are bitterness and less obvious hints of sweetness. (Coffee-like)

Mouthfeel - Creamy and very smooth. Perfect amount of carbonation. However it leaves a bit of dryness afterwards.

Drinkability - Very smooth and quite tasty, I could easily drink 2 mabye even 3 in one sitting.

4.43/5  rDev +19.7%

Appearance - Nice thick brown with a bubbly tan/brown head. Laces well.

Smell - Kind of that distinctive Guinness bitter barley smell with hints of milk on it. Also a bit of coffee in there.

Taste - I don't know if I'd put this one in the dry stout category, as its very sweet on the tongue. Coffee and milk come up front immediately with some good roasted malts notes and faint bread. Finishes with a hint of hops.

Mouthfeel - Everything the mainstream Guinness wishes it was. Nice and creamy with a subtly strong carbonation.

Drinkability - This is what Guinness on draft should be. Not that nitro abomination.

3.52/5  rDev -4.9%

A: as with all guinnesses, it really is gorgeous. Nice creamy head, nice brownish bubble effects.

S: much better than the draught. We actually can smell some roasted character (coffee and chocolate) but it is still much weaker than most stouts.

T: Again, some roasted characters that weren't present in the draught version. Some coffe, chocolate and even some vanilla. Again, much weaker than most stouts.

M: Still a bit watered down, but again, it's better. Mid light body with very low carbonation. Creamy feel.

D: Very high. It doesn't taste really strong and it has an acceptable taste. Not too hard on the stomach too.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

So... here goes my inaugural Beeradvocate review!

This one was brewed by Guiness in New Brunswick, Canada. No freshness date visible.

Appearance: Black as night -- not a ray of light from the opposite side of the glass. Tan, moderate head that leaves behind nice lacing.

Nose: Italian roasted coffee, bits of dark chocolate. As the beer falls, the coffee comes out more strongly.

Taste: Coffee, again. Lots of roasted malt, with a pleasant finish.

Moutfeel: Slightly heavy; creamy, with prominent dryness on the end.

Drinkability: Relatively easy.

My introduction to extra stouts, I've become very fond on this beer. As they're readily avaiable in SoCal, I'm sure I'll be buying more in the future.

4.7/5  rDev +27%

Appearance: This brew pours amazingly well. A wonderful deep chocolate. Head follows Guinness' tradition being very full with plentiful lacing. Excellent. Just Excellent.

Smell: A wonderful coffee aroma surrounds the nose. Roasted malts underlie the flavor curve excentuated by faint alpha hops. Excellent. This brew is one of the top on the market.

Taste: Sharper than a traditional Guinness, but not oppressive. There is an almost expresso presence...BUT the hop bitterness burns through what could otherwise be an overpowering presence.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is just about perfect. There is a foamy nature to this selection that is quite impressive. Excellent.

Drinkability: The drinkability is amazingly high for a such a heavy brew type.

Overall: This is a GREAT beer. Get it...

Prosit!
Nikki

2.81/5  rDev -24.1%

Presentation: 12 oz. brown bottle with that classic Guinness label.

Appearance: Dark brown, near black; it lets just enough light through to give it ruby highlights. It's capped with a fluffy, mocha colored head with good retention that leaves bits of sticky lace down the glass.

Smell: Light roasted barley, mild milk chocolate, and hints of minerality. Pleasant, but overly simple.

Taste: Mild roasted coffee, hints of dark fruit, and light mineral notes. It's dry and what comes across predominately is a nondescript, sharp bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, a little bit fizzy for the style IMO.

Drinkability: Ok, but doesn't leave me wanting another really.

Conclusion: The last time I had this beer was maybe 2-3 years ago when I bought a bomber of it to use in a Guinness Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Coulis (wonderful, btw). Nevermind that it was like 10:30 a.m., I polished off the remainder of the bomber (hey, you can't let good beer go to waste) and I remember really liking it. It was rich, malty, roasty, and bold. In a word, the opposite of this beer. I don't know if I got an "off" bottle (it's possible, as I got this in a mix-a-six) or if this is what Guinness has become since it's brewed in Canada now...either way...I probably won't be trying this again any time soon.

Poured a jet black with a tan head, moderate lacing.

Smell is good that of coffee, black and roasted malts and possibily some Galena hop.

Taste is also very good smooth chocolate, espresso coffee with a touch of toffee in the finish. The hops produce a good alpha bite and linger in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel if full.

Drinkability is good as long as you plan on a short evening. I love stouts however I would have to switch this one up with something else if i were to session.

I would pair this with any red meat smothered in caramelized onions.

3.51/5  rDev -5.1%

First time I had this, I didn't realize there was a difference between this and the Guinness on tap. Oops. Pours dark as night with no head. Meatllic, but nicely roasted malt and chocolate aroma. Taste is very bitter in comparison to its weaker sibling. Minimal hops, but lots of smoke, malt, and baker's chocolate. I don't know which I prefer.

3.41/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from 22oz bottle into Guinness branded tulip pint glass.

Appearance: Pours pitch black with a thick tan head that doesn't stay for too long but leaves a lot of lace behind.

Smell: Roasted malts, through and through. Has a sweet taste almost like molasses.

Taste: Starts sweet and finishes bitter, similar to coffee.

Mouthfeel: Thick with balanced carbonation and pretty smooth.

Drinkability: Not my favorite, but I could see it going well with certain foods. Also, very sessionable- I wouldn't mind having it again.

3.52/5  rDev -4.9%

Original Rating Date:
June 16, 2008

I'm not a very big fan of the original Guinness, but I really liked this one. Much thicker, creamier palate than standard Guinness draft. Tastes fuller as well. Again, there are better stouts out there, but this one was pretty damn good.

3.38/5  rDev -8.6%

A - Black, looks like coffee. Thick very fluffy brown head that hangs around for a while. Leaves fluffy rings of lacing.

S - Pretty good smell. Very balanced between malts and hops. Not a 5 to me because of the coffee smell.

T - Malty with the coffee taste that I could smell. Little bit of roasted nuts taste. Finishes with a good hops taste. The coffee taste kinda turned me off though. Good for the style, but not what I want in a beer.

M - Too thick for me.

D - I can knock one of these back, , two maybe, but past then I don't want another.

I tried this beer before and absolutely hated it, but now its not bad, just pretty okay to me. Maybe its a beer that grows on you over time. The coffee taste and thickness of the beer turns me away, which as I said I guess is pretty good for the style, but not my thing.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

A: poured a nice dark brown with a tan colored head about half an inch thick, nice red/garnet accents when held to the light. little clumps of lacing all around the glass, not too shabby. not terribly impressive though.

s: smells like a more guinness-y guinness really, there are some roasted malts there, signature guinness smells, less burnt though, a little bit of chocolate, and i can't help but notice a distinct smell of chlorine/pool water? glass was clean too...hmmmm. slightly sour guinness smell as well.

t: pretty nice on the chocolate, not too much initially for the roasted/burnt flavor, still it is there, a nice black coffee flavor, not strong coffee, but just coffee. definitely a hop presence in this one that isn't in the draught guinness. clean and earthy, piney. not too bad. slight earthy aftertaste.

m: relatively thick, it isn't an export stout or imperial stout, but still is pretty hefty in the mouth, very smooth, not much carbonation. not too shabby.

d: not quite as drinkable as the draught, but still not too bad. i could easily see drinking a few of these.

4.45/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The pour is very deep black color with two finger dark tan head. The aroma of coffee, chocolate and a smokey malt hints of licorice and fruity. The taste has a strong roasted smokey malt backbone. Hint of dusty hops. The finish is smooth and lasting a very and enjoyable.

3.66/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - pours with a black color accompanied by a thick tan head that stays around and laces around the glass nicely

S - roasted coffee and malts, what you would expect from a stout

T - the malty, roasted qualities hit hard, which is not a bad thing, but the dryness ruins a little bit of the taste for me

M - sikly smooth with slight carbonation, but again the dryness hits my tongue in a bad way

D - drinkable beer, but have to move on after the first.

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

appearance- pours a nice black to a deep dark brown with thick tan head and nice retention. looks great in other words.

smell- picked up some coffee smell and a touch of sweetness.

taste and mouthfeel- great sweet and bitter tastes, almost a perfect balance. The mouthfeel isn't to thick or thin, just right, especially if you're just getting introduced to stouts. It also has a bit of a dry feel to it.

drinkability- this is a pretty drinkable stout, one is just never enough...

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

A- Dark brownish almost black with a tan head. The head did a nice job of lingering and lacing as the beer disappeared.
S- Very strong of coffee and bitter chocolate
T- Bittersweet chocolate, coffee and a hint of burnt malt.

M- nice and velvety obviously more carbonation than the nitro stuff and not quite as smooth.
D- I thought it was real high ,, this is something I could drink a lot more of.

Very good stuff!

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

This had a sharp flavor! The Extra Stout is somehow both sweeter and more bitter than Guinness Draught. It's almost like a SweetTart, except a stout. This beer isn't as creamy as the draught, since there's no nitrogen, but it's still fairly drinkable. (My wife even likes it better, and she's not much of a beer drinker!)

3.34/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber purchased for $2.49. I didn't really like the regular Guinness when I tried it so I'm hoping this is better. Left behind some pretty good looking lace.

Appears near black except for some reddish highlights with a once and a half inch cream colored head.

Aroma is kind of tart, with some very faint roasted malt. Bland.

The taste is fruity, somewhat tart, but also bitter due to the roasted barley. Dry coffee like finish with a bit more fruitiness and a bit of spicy hop linger.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth and creamy.

I have only had a few Irish Dry Stouts and I am beginning to think it's just not a style that I can enjoy. I love stouts more than any other style, but this style just doesn't do it for me.

3.92/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tumbler glass.

Appearance: Black body with a big head that sticks around for a while. Left decent lacing.

Smell: Lots of toasted and burnt malts.

Taste: This is a big malty stout. As well as having toasted and burnt flavors there is also some chocolate malts. Smokey flavor as well.

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

A - Poured nicely into my wheat glass(I use this glass so I can see the carbonation in light) Deep dark amber body, tight tan head leaves some lacing behind and a super excited carbonation underneath it all.

S - Smells of malted caramel and put in a smoker, topped with some cream.

T - To be honest I expected more cream after the nose but it was mostly some smoked molasses and citrusy hops.

M - Carbonation floods the tongue, smooth going down and takes the hops sting on the palate with it. Leaves you with the cream wanting another sip.

D - After having a handful of other malty stouts this one lacks what it takes for me to come back to it, but I certainly won't turn one down when it's offered.

3.86/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Pours near black, but a tiny bit of dark crimson peaks through, with a huge, thick, khaki-colored head that dissipates into a 3mm or so head that stays around. I love how a Guinness looks; would give it a five it it had a widget or was a nitro pour.
S: First whiff is all malt--pretty much just like walking into a brewery. Some toffee, too. As it sits, gradually sweeter flavors seem more pronounced.
T: Has a pine and coffee bitter finish. Maybe a little bit of chocolate, but not much sweetness.
M: Smooth and rich, but a little on the thin side compared to whichever Guinness it is they usually sell in the UK/Ireland.
D: Because of the leaning toward thinness, definitely a more drinkable stout.

Guiness extra stout pours a very dark brown virtually black color.

The apperance is of a appealing dark Irish stout.

This is a thick and hardy beer. Plesant and complex roasted malt and coffee aroma and taste.

I enjoy drinking this beer. I have to give it props because it started my fascination for trying other beers other than your typical mainsteam lagers.

2.79/5  rDev -24.6%

This poured a very dark almost black color. The appearance is just wonderful. Had a nice head of foam and lacing that sticks around. Has strong flavor of coffee almost burnt flavored. Bitter aftertaste that mellows. I wanted to love this but just could not. Not one of my favorites but one I could drink from time to time if offered to me. But, I will not buy it again.

4.06/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

GLASS: Boddingtons Imperial Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Nice and black. Just a slight hint of brown around the edges. Beautiful three-finger head of creamy tan foam. Great retention. Excellent lacing.

Light hints of malt. Light chocolate and coffee notes. Not a whole lot in the nose, really.

Roasted malts. Dark chocolate. Slightly over-roasted coffee beans. Espresso with cream. Dark cherries and figs. Very slight hops bite.

Feels almost perfect. Nice, thick, and creamy. Like velvet.

Excellent session beer. Highly drinkable.
Best major label brew out there.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.