Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearence: Coming out of the tap the beer itself had a very dark brown appearence.

Smell: This beer has the epitome of roasted malts scent if i have ever smelle roasted malts.

Taste: The taste is begins like coffee and chocolate but not quite a bitter as normal coffee. Doesn't leave a terrible aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: The thickness of the beer leaves the drinker interested.

Drinkabilty: A very smooth beer to drink yet thick, almost need a fork to eat it. I kid. The beer is very drinkable.

spiffysamurai, Jun 23, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +27%

This is a wonderful dark (very dark) beer with a frothy brown (!) head. Upon pouring, the head is the most intriguing of any I've seen, though I've found it disperses quickly (as is usually the case) in an unclean glass (as is usually the case). The flavor and smell is similar to communing with a great grassy expanse containing big fat roasting malts waving in the wind and roiling like waves in the ocean. Marvelous, I don't think there's a better roasted malt beer in the world. This is the gold standard. However, the Irish style ultra-smoothness of the beer in the mouth lends a bit less than exceptional rating on the mouthfeel and drinkability...if they collaborated with Porter makers in northern England (goodness, no!) to improve the gaseousness and put an edge in the mouth to help transmit more of that wonderful flavor, they'd likely make the best beer the planet has ever seen (and that was ever dreamed possible).

Socrates, Jun 22, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Guinness in a bottle, After being quite familiar with the Draught, and the draught cans, I figured I'd give this a try.

This poured a nice black into the glass with a bit of lacing and minimal head. Smell is of roasted malts with some barley notes in there. The roasted flavor makes it's way into the flavor which is very pleasant, however the mouthfeel is very thin. The body doesn't carry all the way into the finish which was a bit disappointing. But this is still not a bad brew overall, and it's quite easy to drink.

I'd get this one again.

funkengruven, Jun 21, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

The beer poured a rich black with a fine tan head that stayed on top of the beer. The aroma was of strong toasted malt with sweet malt in the background. The taste was of good sweet toasted malt no noticable signs of hops. The feel was heavy and dry. I've had a lot of Guinness on tap, and several bottles of the Draught version. This is the equal of the best drafts I've had, and has none of the waterieness that the draught bottle has. I have to say I'll have more of this on hand in the future.

claytri, Jun 18, 2006
3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle marked "extra stout"

Pour produces a dark, almost black beer, but with a tinge of ruby.
The smell is of coffee with overtones of hops.
The coffee and hops smells are expressed with the first sip. Also present is a creamy maltiness. The mouthfeel is definitely fairly thick. Drinkability is fair. I have had more drinkable beers and less drinkable beers.
This beer tastes much stronger and has a much thicker feel than Guinness Draught. A fairly good, readily available version of an Irish Stout.

gatorjames85, Jun 18, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -26.2%

When my wife and I planned our trip to Ireland, our friends said, have a Guinness for us, so we did. Many people told us that Guinness tastes different in Ireland than in the USA. I could not tell any difference between here than there. They do go through a lot of Guinness in Ireland but we go through a lot of Miller Lite here. Not impressed, like Murphy's Stout better.

znarf, Jun 03, 2006
3.7/5  rDev 0%

This is one of the first beers I started my beer drinking life with. I've sample Guinness in many forms and the non nitro'd bottle is the way to go in my opinion. Pour is a dark black, with no red hue which I've seen in draft sample, the head is a large brown one which hangs in for while. Taste is chocolatey with some roastedness. Mouthfeel is watery but still is an overall good beer and one I go back to often.

WeymouthMike, Jun 03, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours with an impressive 1 inch thick head that lasts long and laces the glass well. completely black in color. Smells good with a hint of chocolate. make you want to drink. Has a bitter taste and very powerfull chocolate after taste. Very carbonated, not at all like regular Guinness. but it tastes good and leaves a pleasant after taste. as with most stouts, I'm not sure how many you will want to drink in a row. over all though, I recommend trying this beer if you haven't before.

pibbxtrasucks, May 29, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

ST: 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

AP: Thick black, 1/2" thick brownish head. doesn't cascade like the nitro cans.

Aroma: Burnt chocolate, Caramel, Oak wood.

Taste: hints of chocolate & smokey malts.

MF: Pretty carbonated in the 12 oz bottle, nitro can is much smoother and thicker, this version pops on the palate much more. I like the smoother thicker style.

DA: always a very drinkable brew.

GratefulBeerGuy, May 25, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pt. glass. Nice deep dark color. Some buy very little ruby tones as light shines through. head is rich and creamy tan. Please, beer rarely looks any better.

Smell is very faint. some sweet deep roasted malt almost no hops.

Taste is full rich creamy dark roasted malt with coffee and chocolate. The malt is outstanding. Finish is also very good, nice but slight, bitter bite.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full.

Drinkability is not very high about ave. for the style. MK

MuenchenerKindl, May 21, 2006
1.68/5  rDev -54.6%

While at the Beer Store this afternoon, I decided to do a bit of a one-on-one comparison between Guinness Pub Draught (in a can, the only of the Guinness stouts actually brewed in Ireland) and Guinness Extra Stout, which is contract brewed by Labatt's (and is so clearly not an import that it appears on the Premium Brands wall rather than the Imported Brands wall). After serving up a Guinness Draught in my pint glass (and being thoroughly pleased with the results), I cracked a bottle of the competition.

That the extra stout is contract brewed by Labatt's does not give me a warm feeling, as they are undoubtedly my least favourite of the Canadian brewers (even Molson beers are a touch more pallatable). But nevertheless, I trek onward. My initial dissapoint lies in this brew sitting in an industry standard bottle that fails to do the Guinness-style justice. Plan gold cap with a simple print, plain gold label. Nevertheless, I poured the stout to see what's what.

Guinness Extra Stout pours almost black as night, with only the slightest hints of ruby penetrating at the very edges, and only in bright light. The brew is capped by two healthy fingers off a very nutty-off-white coloured head (markedly different from the frothy cap of the draught). Unlike the draught, this cap dies down quite quickly, and leaves only slight lacing that is quite runny. After about five minutes, there is only an ever-so-slight ring of head that still persists. Stouts are tasty looking beers, but even for a stout, I'm not especially impressed.

Smell is average, at best. I really can't get much at all in the nose, even after several moments of careful observation. All I really get is a faintly bitter hoppiness, and some burnt (not good burnt, but rather burnt to the point of unpleasantness) coffee notes. Slightly grassy, also. Nothing like the beautiful odour of the draught.

Taste is not great either. Burnt coffee (again, to the point of unpleasantness) is the only real flavour note I can detect. Beyond that is a harsh metallic sort of twang (very prominant, and very unpleasant). Some faint hoppiness (a grassiness) also, faint roasted barley, I suppose, but this brew is severely lacking. I'm mystified as to why Guinness attaches its name to it. Finish is dry and there's a general oddness that, I suppose, is a combination of all of the off flavours in the actual taste. Certainly lacks the creaminess, and the body of the draught.

Mouthfeel is a bit of a bright spot. Carbonation is only slightly excessive, but at least the body is nice and moderate. However, the draught in a can also gets a much better score here for combining that nice mouthfeel with a perfect level of quiet carbonation.

As for drinkability, I could see it being possible to have a few of these - but really, why would you want to (upon further reflection, I actually found myself pouring out extra bottles of the stuff because my tastebuds and my stomach simply could not deal with it - this is the only beer I've ever had that I can say this for).

Guinness Extra Stout is... not good at all. If you're going in for a Guinness branded stout (and you, presumably, don't have the means to actually go to Ireland), stick with the Guinness Pub Draught in a can. This offering is just not pleasing.

headlessparrot, May 18, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -16.8%

In short, Guinness Stout kind of tastes and feels like a Guinness Draught Lite.
It has the strong bitter, hoppiness of the Draught, but not the heaviness or creamy feel. The head is nice, nutty colored, but not as think and clingy to the glass as the Draught.
The color is dark and opaque, but not as "soft" opaque as the Draught, if that makes sense.
It's a shame I must compare it to the Draught. If I'd never had it, I probably would make the Stout my favorite thus far. It's complex and rich enough to blow the American macros away. But just a bit too bitter and not as sweet with a bit of an aftertaste that might keep it from being a regular for me.

Mechphisto, May 15, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz. bottle. Product of Canada. Poured into a Guinness Extra Stout pint glass.
It poured a dark brown - almost black - with a tan head.
The smell was thin. Not too bad, but weak. There were hints of burnt coffee - emphasis on burnt - and a tinge of alcohol in the nose.
The first sip had a robust kick of chocolate and coffee. But, starting with the second sip and every one after that, it seemed to grow weaker and more watery. It tastes like burnt dark coffee, a bad of chocolate and a raisin-like fruit essence far in the background. It left a bitter impression with just a touch of sweetness. It was not a complex taste - fairly simple.
Overall it was not bad, but nothing great. The growing market and production seems to have taken a toll on it over the years. It is not as balanced as I remember it being awhile back.
It is easily available, but there ae better craft examples of this style now.

jwc215, May 12, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

12 ounce bottle poured into a 20 ounce "pub" glass. Dark brown with russet highlights and sparse carbonation. A decently steadfast greyish-beige, clumpy and cratered head sits on top with some sticky lacing around the sides. Aromas are of hops, surprisingly, earthy and almost piney, with some roasted malt scents in the background, like bitter chocolate. The taste begins with floral and earthy hops which are quickly subsumed by a charming roasted chicory coffee character. The mouthfeel on this medium bodied stout is smooth and chewy. A nearly perfectly balanced mineral finish is followed by a lingering ghost of the roasted malt mentioned previously. It's literally been years since I've had Guinness Extra Stout. I either just wasn't in the mood for it, or I had other beers to try, but I'm glad I decided to pick this up today. For as widespread as this beer is, it is solidly brewed and quite tasty. An always welcome choice.

orfeu, May 08, 2006
3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

My friend from Ireland swears up and down by Guinness, and if you can't trust an Irishman, who can you trust.

A- Here is the real beauty of Guinness. Poured into a pint tumbler. The creamy roasted tan colored head starts at the bottom of the glass and slowly pulls itself up to the top, revealing the pure black beer beneath. For a while there is a triple layer effect with the tan head on top, brown head/beer mix in the middle, and the black beer on bottom. Real beauty.

S- It smells like what you would expect a stout to smell like, coffee, a little bit of chocolate and toffee. It is not a very strong smell. Maybe the creamy head is doing too good of a job of holding the smells in.

T- Bitter coffee and bittersweet chocolate. It's not a very strong flavor, I think the foam is also muting the flavor.

M- The head is nice and chewy, but when you get to the actual beer, it's very watery, which is very disappointing. Not a whole lot of carbonation on the tongue.

D- Guinness is a classic, but I think I've outgrown it. Not long ago I had a Guinness on tap with a steak dinner which was an excellent pairing. I think if I am going to drink Guinness again, it would have to be with a meal.

bort11, May 07, 2006
2.4/5  rDev -35.1%

Guiness Extra Stout pours an almost black color with some lighter highlights around the edges with a thick, fluffy tan head. Aroma is disappointing, there isn't much at all. Smooth mouthfeel, but the taste just isn't doing it for me. Not the rich roasted malt flavors I seek. Just some bitter astringency and maybe some butterscotch in the finish. Disappointing.

Drew966, May 01, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a clean beer mug. Super thick, foamy tan head, with lots of lacing. The color is similar to motor oil thats 10,000 miles overdue for a change. Nice malty nose. Wonderful, almost harsh bitterness (the way I like it). A little too much carbonation. Good for a drink or two, but hard to keep drinking.

drotski, Apr 29, 2006
2.4/5  rDev -35.1%

A: Pours a solid black with a big foamy head. Moderate lacing.

S: Mostly malt in the nose with some coffee aromas.

T: Astringent with strong flavors of ash and burnt wood.

M: The body is about right for a dry stout, but there is tons of carbonation which gets in the way of the flavor.

D: Not a good taste, bad carbonation, hard to drink.

klewis, Apr 25, 2006
3.4/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from a bottle.

This beer pours nearly opaque black with a huge head and thick lacing. The smell is rather sweet. The taste is also sweet up front with some lingering bitterness. I know it sounds weird but i think i almost taste some tequila in it. The Mouthfeel is decently thick. Overall, I am just not too fond of this one. I cannot compare it to other Irish Stouts but I do know that there are other stouts that I would prefer.

MSchae1017, Apr 21, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +16.2%

Well there's little or nothing I could add to this review-wise that hasn't already been said, so I'll just say...

This was a long time favorite of mine. So many years ago, it was the beer that made me realize beer didn't have to suck and that it didn't always have to look and smell like urine. I remember friends who had never tried it or only had a sip, being appalled that I would drink it. I think they're still drinking Bud Light to this day. It's sad. But thanks to Guinness my tastebuds took the leap and now it's become a quest of mine to try new and different styles of beer. Thank you Guinness!

JayTheFinn, Apr 16, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Dark like coke with an off-white head that retained well. nice lacing around the glass.

Smelled rich and malty, slightly smoky.

Coffee and milk came first with a slight burnt finish

Balanced mouthfeel, very full like roasted malt

I enjoyed this beer, good for cold weather will drink again.

afordney, Apr 14, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

A classic! I still love Extra Stout; It is available directly across the street. This is my go-to beer when I want something good without trekking into Manhattan or Williamsburg. While not as good as other stouts I've been spoiling myself with, it has a nice subtle sourness and hop profile. I prefer this to the Draught cans almost every time.

MarkBlackout, Apr 12, 2006
3.45/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Foamy chunky head, good retention, black brew.

Aroma is charcoal, coffee, something sweet in there too like a dark fruit, plum, raisin, something like that.

Flavor is bitter, slightly astringent, some hops here too to help finish, but still astringent on the pallette.

slightly watery mouthfeel, but very dry finish. I've had better stouts, but this one is not bad, and a classic.

Actually, just had to add, that this one does get better as it warms a bit.

ReebShorts, Apr 10, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours jet black with a fluffy, tan head. Smells fruity with an earthy aroma of roasted malt. Has an uninteresting yeast presence in the nose as well. Taste is malty with dark fruit. Nice roasted character found here. Light astringent black grain adds a tad of lingering bitterness. Drying in the finish. The mouthfeel has a nice, sturdy body, but the carbonation is kind of prickly. All-around this is OK.

goochpunch, Apr 08, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

Ah the stout that started my passion for stouts. I prefer the Extra Stout to the Draught in a can or bottle. It just has an extra kick to it that I like. If this is your first try at Guinness, I do not suggest this but rather try the Draught and work your way up to the Extra Stout.

cproioi, Apr 07, 2006
Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.