Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
3.96/5  rDev +7%

A: Black with a bit of red on the edges with a large three finger tan head, nice retention, and nice lacing.

S: Light bits of cream and a touch of roasted malt but not much of either and not mouch of anything else.

T: Roasted malt, hits of mint and earthy hops and then a bit of espresso and smoky molasses.

M: Slightly cream yet still smoot and light with a nice roasty/smokey finish.

D: This has great flavor and a nice light body. Something that I enjoy drinking alone or with food.

3.86/5  rDev +4.3%

I think this is the beer that Guinness Draught is really supposed to be. Beer pours a dark ruby with a beige head, nice lacing on the glass as beer is consumed.

aroma is of prunes and roasted malt, not a bad aroma for a stout,

taste is dark toasty malt with a touch of sweetness, and a bitter/sour finish.

mouthfeel is a touch thin for the style.

drinkability is very high.

overall, a solid stout, one I reach for when I don't want an imperial stout, tastes really good with New England oysters!

4.06/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours from a 22oz brown bottle into an imperial pint glass I brought back (stole) from England many years ago.

It's very dark brown, nearly black, in color with huge pillowy white head that has amazing retention. Lacing all up and down the glass. Truly a great looking beer.

Aroma is more sweet than I expect. It has the smell of red wine and cherries. Very little roasted malt in the aroma.

Taste is also a bit sweeter than I would expect given this is a considered a dry stout. It has cherries, figs, and apple flavors that dominate the experience. Roasted malts are pushed into the background. The balance is alright though because there is some bitterness up front.

Mouthfeel is nice but it's so much better on nitro. It's fairly smooth, good level of carbonation, and nice body without being overly thick.

Drinkability is good and I could imagine, or almost remember, drinking this all night long.

The only real let down for me was reading the label and finding out it was brewed and imported from Canada. Nothing against Canadians but I was wanting to enjoy a classic IRISH beer.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a rich black color with a tan sticky head. Some lacing.

Smells of bitter deep roasted malt, some hop leaf.

Dark malt flavors, some sweetness (a little molasses-like bite), some coffee ground elements, hop bitterness pushes thru too. A level of creaminess in there, but it is in the background. It is good, but nothing special or distinctive here.

This light-medium light body helps offset some of the sticky flavors.

This is surprisingly drinkable -- based on all of the visual and olfactory evidence, you'd think this would be hard to get down in volume. But, you be wrong. Sip-able or a downer. Worth a try.

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance: Dark with not too much head. Since this isn't equipped with the nitro, that was expected. Looks good though, has the dark rich colors a stout should have.

Aroma: Roasted malts, chocolate and I can also smell hops. Not as creamy as the nitro-bottle Guinness draught.

Taste: Creaminess isn't there as much as it is in the Guinness. Still good. There is malts, coffee and chocolate, and there is a good amount of bitterness. Pretty good.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and good carbonation. Doesn't have the creaminess, as mentioned before.

Drinkability: The light body might lend itself to drinkability, but the bitterness might be off putting for some.

3.66/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Black mahogany with a cafe head. Continuous lacing and retention. Faint roasted aroma with coffee and light hops. The taste is roasted malt and astringent hops and is followed by an intensely dry and bitter finish. Guinness Extra Stout is a classic that i'll always return to, but it just doesn't stack up to much next to all these micros.

3.79/5  rDev +2.4%

I poured this stout out of a 22oz bottle into a .7L glass

Thick tan head, but no nitrogen in this beer so it looks like a porter or something rather than the normal beautifully settling Guinness.

Smells of irony hops, bourbon, slight anise also. Pungent!

It taste hoppy for a stout. It hits the roof of the mouth with a zing, something like the acid from a lime. Burnt tobacco finish.

Very Bubble compared to its brother the org stout. Bubbles are large, yet effervescence.

On a fall day this is up there with my favorites.
Every time I have one I feel like I'm back on vacation in Ireland.

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a large light brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is a little creamy and contains roasted malts, some chocolate & vanilla and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is malty but not as much as you would think with flavors of dark chocolate, vanilla, scotch and bourbon. There's a decent hops presence for the style and much better balance that I had expected. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is dry and slightly sticky.

D: Flavorful and tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, decent representation of style, if I didn't know better I would think this beer was a Scotch Wee Heavy, but I definitely like it a lot more than the regular Guinness, it's nice heavier that's worth drinking for a while.

3.71/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Nice thick, finger width head. Darker stouty looking head than typical clean, white Draught head. Jet black color and seems less translucent than Draught. Unable to see any settling through the blackness but you can catch a glimpse of the nice mahogany color around the edges against the light. Really good lacing. Looks tasty.

S: Familiar strong, stale bitterness of Guinness but turned up to 11. It's a harsher smell for sure. If you love Guinness, you can appreciate the unapologetic overtness of this stout. It has elements of that stale brewery smell which I like but it might not be for everyone.

T: Very bitter. Again, if you like Guinness, you can appreciate it but I can see how some would find it a little harsh. You get a good amount of the familiar coffee flavor but I think the subtler chocolaty creaminess that people like in the draught is in danger of getting a little lost. It's a straight up, taking no prisoners stout taste. As with Draught, the aftertaste is more pleasant than the bitterness of the taste. It mellows out after the swallow and then stays with you for what seems like a very long time.

M: Good amount of carbonation. It was more lively in the mouth than I expected it to be. It feels thinner than the creamier Draught which was a little surprising because of the very strong taste.

D: I like to have one of these once in a while. At home in the UK, old and pregnant ladies still drink this for health reasons. Between having this old-school wholesome association and growing up drinking great Guinness on-tap, I have to say I am biased. Having said that, I can't drink many of these. The bitterness of it is a little too much for me.

3.36/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance is a dark but not opaque black with bits of red and brown when the light hits. Nice off-white head. Lacing is tight and all over the glass.

Smell is mostly bitter chocolate and grainy malts.

Tastes nice and bitter with a bit or a metallic sting.

Good carbonation and with a nice rich body that's not too thick. Easily drinkable.

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

A: Dark brown, almost black. Light reveals a deep auburn/ ruby color at the bottom. Thick, solid beige head. Strong lacing doesn't slide down the side of the glass.

S: Freshly ground coffee.

T: Bitter coffee, espresso. A very "dusty" flavor. The aftertaste is sort of metallic.

M: It just sits there, dead on your tongue.

D: Just bitter, no complexity at all. I couldn't even finish the bottle.

Perhaps it had gone bad, there was a definite dustiness. I bought it recently at a store I always have good experiences with. There was no freshness date on the bottle so I couldn't tell. I may need to give this one another try some day...

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

22-ounce squatty bomber bottle poured into a pint willi glass yields an inky ruby-brown body with a huge, surging cap of grainy beige foam. The head retains at a convoluted cloud structure and leaves scattered lacing on the glass.

The smell of the drink is dark and roasty with a malty brown sugary sweetness.

The taste is mellow and darkly malty with semisweet chocolate and mildly-toasty coffee-style bitterness and a nice dry finish.

Light on booziness and in body with fine carbonation, Guinness Extra Stout is ubiquitous in the marketplace, inoffensive, and an extremely easy drinker. Those qualities make the brew, in my mind anyway, the quintessential gateway beer for American drinkers looking for something deeper and more flavorful than the standard fare of BMC. I've enjoyed many a pint, nitro-can, and bottle o' "the Black", and though I have hard issues with the brewer's practices and politics, there are no beers I like any better with Irish stew, or enjoy more frequently on St. Patty's Day. It is what it is, and what it is is pretty damned good.

3.41/5  rDev -7.8%

Pour black in color, big off white head good retention. Very decent lacing. Brown soda color when held to the light.

Smell is light roast malt. Some coffee in the nose. Overall not a very aromatic brew.

Roasted malt is very noticeable up front. Bitterness almost lemoy on the back end. Coffee is picked up more on the after taste.

Semi crisp and quite dry.

Quite drinkable, and somewhat enjoyable. I don't know that I would honestly drink more than one at any given time.

4.35/5  rDev +17.6%

Drank it straight out of the bottle so not much of a physical description other than it's dark. Tried to shine a green laser(25mW) beam through it and nothing. Tasted like extra dark coffee with a nice kick in the end. It has a very dark roasted aroma.

Something I would drink again but I would drink it around winter time. Does not need to be super cold just slightly chilled in order for it to be good.

3.47/5  rDev -6.2%

A - Regardless of variety, Gunniess is a beautiful beer. Great head, great lacing. Mild Carbonation.

S - Smell is rosted malt.

T - Fairly good, though bordering on too bitter. This is a harsh brew, unlike the smoother draught, similar to unsweeted black coffee. Once the brew begins to warm, hints of chocolate become apparent. It isn't the best tasting stout, but it definatly has a particular character that few stouts have.

M - Moderatly thick and definatly full bodied, Guinness's mouthfeel is a shining example of a true stout's consistancy.

D - Fair. While this is a good tasting beer having a great consistancy, the bitterness of the brew limits its drinkability.

In the past I despised Guinness. However, as my palatte began to expand, I've learned to enjoy it for what it is; a good tasting, widely available stout that acts as a reliable standby. It is a good beer, and one of the most well known stouts that exist today.

2.76/5  rDev -25.4%

looks like a guinness...
smells of coffee and char, and the taste matches. pretty coarse and uninteresting. i could see how a coffee drinker might find it likeable, but the straightforwardness in this case is just not appealing to me.
body is about medium, so much thicker than guinness draught in a can.
although this one ends up getting the higher score, if made to choose i'd generally go with the wimpy draught since at least it's sorta fun to throw back. this beer commands your attention and doesn't want you to hurry, but it's just not complex enough (and too burnt) to warrant such an expenditure of time and taste buds, particularly when there are so many better stouts out there.

3.46/5  rDev -6.5%

Before the internet (mostly Beeradvocate) opened my eyes to the wonders of fancy beers, I loved Guinness. Of course, I now know that I really loved Guinness Draught and not its somewhat tastier cousin, Extra Stout, the subject of this review. So, I guess this is a bit of a digression. I actually have had Guinness Extra Stout before. I just didn't really know it was different from Draught. Ok, now, this is definitely a digression. My point is simply that I still have a soft spot for that Guinness flavor.

Well, the beer looks fine. It poured a nice head, but that head evaporated kind of quickly. The beer is a nice black-brown color but not as intense as I like a good stout. This observation brings me to a problem: I have no idea what an Irish Dry Stout is supposed to be. It seems to be a style almost entirely occupied and, for all I know, created by Guinness. I'm really just reviewing this beer as a general stout, and as a stout, the beer could be darker and could have a better head.

The beer has an underwhelming roasted malt nose but better than the Draught. I taste chocolate notes, rather than the more widely reported coffee flavor. I usually don't taste chocolate in stouts, so perhaps I just have some sort of taste problem where I confuse chocolate for coffee. Maybe, I should shut up and trust myself. It also tastes of black tea, english/irish breakfast, which I had a cup of before the beer. So, I have a little more grip on that flavor at least. I don't really like the tea flavor. It's sort of that drinking a cup of tea on an empty stomach with a big multivitamin experience. The dryness of the beer also contributes to a general mouth pucker. The aftertaste is somewhat bitter, which I don't mind, but a bit too dry for me for a stout.

I have to try to separate feel from taste because the mouth pucker is really more of a taste issue than feel. The beer has a nice creamy carbonation, but it doesn't really do a lot beyond that. The drinkability, likewise, is good but not great. I marked it down a little more because, despite my nostalgia, I'm finding the Guinness flavor a bit much by the latter half of my 22oz bottle.

This beer would probably get a slightly higher review were I able to try it on tap, particularly in Ireland, but then that's no surprise really. Having a Guinness at a bar in Ireland is a completely different experience than drinking it at home in front of a computer as I pedantically weigh the beer's qualities. Next time I visit, I'm going to bring a bottle and attempt a side by side taste test.

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

A 12 ounce bottle of the Canadian brewed Guinness Extra Stout arrived in the queue today. Very dark in the glass with some chestnut highlights around the edges. A handsome ecru head floated on the brew. The aroma is a hoppy and coffee-like dark malt admixture. It's bitter and biting with acidity and darkly roasted malt. Coffee and espresso provide the bite with the hops contributing the bitterness. Slightly dry with lasting bitterness. It was definitely more than I expected and thoroughly enjoyed it to the last drop.

4.61/5  rDev +24.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into an Imperial pint glass. Pour reveals a thick, 3 finger rocky light brown head sitting a top a jet black body with ruby hues. Head sinks slowly and remains for the pint, thick lacing.

Smell is full of roasted malts and some sweetness, with a rich hop aroma coming through on the fore front, balanced between earthy/citrusy.

Astringent grains up front on the taste, mellowing into a sharp roasted flavor. Roasted grains present, some maltiness in the background to sweeten things up a bit. As the beer is swallowed, the classic Guinness 'tang' shows itself, lingering through the finish. Roasted grains still present as the rich hop flavor comes in; some citrusy flavors, mostly earthy. Astringent roasted grain flavor lingers on the tongue. Excellent!

Mouthfeel is good, medium bodied with an almost delicate carbonation that really brings out the flavors and holds them together.

Drinkability is great, as well. Very easy to put back a few. Overall, an excellently balanced stout, certainly one of the classic stouts of the beer world. The "big brother" of the less-offensive Guinness Draught, and a sure pleaser for stout lovers. It's not brewed in Ireland, but oh well, still a good beer. I had a few with a rich Irish stew and some soda bread I threw together last night, paired excellent. I really don't have anything bad to say about this beer, go ahead and grab yourself a 6'er!

2.91/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours a black color with a touch of amber topped with a thick tan head and quite a bit of lacing. Roasted malty aroma with some lighter coffee scent. The flavor is that of burned dark chocolate and malts with a rich, bitter mouthfeel. Slight traces of coffee here as well. Not bad.

4.43/5  rDev +19.7%

Poured this beer into a pint glass. It poured a dark brown, almost black color, with a tan head that left a generous amount of laceing on the glass. The first smell was of roasted malts with just a hint of coffee. But upon more further exploration, the coffee really jumps out at me. The tast is of coffee with a hint of roasted malts. The mouthfeel is kind of thick and very heavy. Overall the drinkability of this beer is very good, and I would definatly enjoy this beer agian.

To my mind, this is the best stout on the market today. After pouring this exceptional beer, the combination of pure black body and creamy brown head make it one of the most visualy appealing beers on the market.

Taking that first swallow, the heaviness and bitterness of the beer, along with a smokey, slightly burnt undertaste, comes through immediately and stays long after the beer is gone. Guinness is a beer that keeps giving, it has one of the longest finishes I have ever tasted.

I must confess, I don't see much difference between the various Guinness' I have tried, but if it says "Guinness", it must be good.

4.06/5  rDev +9.7%

Had to do a classic. Pours out of the tap as black as can be and takes several minutes to settle, just as it should. And it is always so gratifying watching those tiny bubbles rise to form the two finger tan head. Smells of malt with a hoppy/floral undertone. The flavors are rather simple in a way. Guinness tastes like Guinness! Malt, some maple and coffee undertones, bitter in the middle and a dry hoppy finish. As clean and as smooth as beer can be made. Refreshing, hearty and filling. A classic for a reason.

2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

So I had an oatmeal stout for breakfast the other day, fairly enjoyable. Today the wife wakes up and is all jazzed to try another 'stout' for breakfast. Well, who the hell am I to argue? Pour it already! We have some other stouts with good reps laying around, but the Guinness is refridgerated and that's what she wants. Again, who the hell am I to argue? Pour it already!

Pours dark as night, no sunlight crosses this tar pit.

I'm having real trouble smelling anything. Very, very faint. Like catching a whiff of coffee from the Denny's across the street.

The taste is, well...disappointing. I expected a big mouthfull of something. There's just not much here. I try and try but only the tiniest flavor of coffee comes through.

It's just an alright beer for me. Nothing special at all. It's warmed up a bit and still nothing special. I could drink more of them, but I won't. Bigger and better things await...

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

a great dark beer, when i was younger, we would go to canada to drink at 19 and we would take this as our first beer at the casino (free parking) and the drinks were a little cheaper than patrick o'ryans, which is a great irish pub. too bad it's in canada. anyways, i would definitely recommend this beer to anyone. you have to atleast try one. This is probably most peoples first dark beer and a good choice at that

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.