Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

The 650ml brown bottle states: Product of Canada, this is news to me.

Pours a hefty black bubbling liquid with a two finger brown head, plenty of lacing with this one.

Smells of bitter chocolate, coffee and roasted malt through and through.

Bitter chocolate, dark roasted coffee with a light malt, dry hop finish. A fairly robust, full bodied stout if there ever was one. Tasty and very filling. Dry and bitter after tastes.

A velvety rich mouthfeel, leaves a little tingle on the tongue as it dissapates on down to the finish.

This stuff tastes the same to me now, as it did 30 years ago...good stout.

scottoale, Mar 11, 2006
3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

Jet black, brown head leaves sticky brillo pad lacing, looks silky smooth.

Has some brown type characteristics, even some nut aroma. Toasted malts are up front, Creamy, sharp ending. Pretty hoppy, lemon type finish. It's an inbetween beer for me, by that I mean its a quality beer and I enjoy it but I find that I pass it over more times than not because there are far more attractive offerings available.

I prefer this over the draught version, more girth and meat on the bones.

DogFood11, Mar 07, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

You can always get a rocky, creamy tan head from a well-poured Guinness, and this time I got it. It retained very well. Looks like a stout: blacker than black, impenetrably dark.

Smell is clean malt up front, hints of cocoa in back, that peculiar Guinness smokiness is there though not as strong as I remember. (I haven't had one of these for years.)

Well-balanced flavors here: chocolate, coffee, malts, brown sugar, and a slight hint of something I can only call smoke. What helps make this one I like to return to often is a round berry-like succulence. It's all fairly mild in punch, a mellow and easy-going stout.

Mouthfeel is watery, which is not how I remember this beer, so perhaps my palate has changed due to all those Tripels and Imperial Stouts...or maybe I should try one on tap.

This is a solid stout, if a little tame for my wilder tastes.

Metalmonk, Mar 06, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

(This is a review of the Extra Stout brewed in Canada by Labatt.)

It poured black and utterly opaque with a frothy, two-finger head. I was disappointed with how quickly it shrank, but it never completely disappeared and left plenty of sticky rings on my pint glass.

The smell is malty with some hints of molasses and coffee. I picked up a lot of yeast that seemed to overpower the more pleasant, subtle smells. The taste started with malt sweetness that yielded to some roasted barley flavour. The finish was dry and left me feeling this is a highly drinkable beer.

I've never been to Ireland or the U.K., so I'm not able to assess how this stacks up against the real deal. As well, I'm a fairly new BA and not sure what to make of the criticisms that this beer is a shadow of its former self. (Having said that, I know a lot of that scorn is directed at Guinness Draught, which I've discovered is an entirely different beer.) For what it's worth, I was pleasantly surprised by this effort from Labatt's.

vanrassel, Mar 05, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Very, very black in color. Slight tan head. Paler then the head on a draft Guinness. Nice aroma-somewhat sweet roasted malt. Nicely roasted malt flavor. Nice blend of espresso with some dark chocolate thrown in. Lingering sweetness though very subtle. Good body. Not as "slick" as some stouts. A very drinkable beer. Blows the draft version we all know (and a lot of us love) away though I will admit this is a different animal. I dont buy this as often as I should.

lackenhauser, Mar 04, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +10.3%

12 oz bottle from the North End Superette. pours completely black with a thin head that stays as a rim around glass with some covering...minimal lacing. smells of roasted malt sweetness overpowering the hops. the taste is more balanced. slightly sticky..full frothy mouthfeel. overall great full bodied dry stout.

ILiveOffHops, Mar 01, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

this is what i consider the standard. Nice head, moderately bitter with acidic overtones/coffee like. Very drinkable. Very good with food. A classic...there are better, but if you want to start from somewhere..this is it. Only way to improve it...on tap.

harpo111, Feb 28, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

Alright, now this is what I'm talking about. After trying the Guinness Draught nitro-bottle and nitro-can, this is a wonderful change of pace: beer that's actually good.

Guinness Extra Stout pours exceedingly dark, with a substantial tan head that leaves some lace on the glass but fades fairly quickly into just a faint tracing on the top of the liquid. Nose is a pleasing blend of sweet and bitter, the sweet being composed of ripe fruit and the bitter being composed of roasted malt. The taste is deep and interesting, with an initial sweetness that's quite intense followed up by an equally intense roast malt and hop bitterness that kicks in immediately afterward and carries over to the finish. The mouthfeel of this is a bit thin, but not watery like the other Guinness options available in bottles/cans.

This is a wonderful beer. I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would buy the nitro-bottles or nitro-cans of Guinness when this is available too. I still love Guinness on tap, at least when it's done well, but if I'm drinking from a bottle I'll choose this over the other options in no time flat.

geexploitation, Feb 26, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

This pours a dark brown with a white foamy head. The smell has a roasted malt aroma thats not very strong. The taste has a milky creamyness to it. The malt roast is slight with some coffee. The flavors are light. The m/f is medium and the flavors are well balanced. This is a slightly above average beer.

jmz62565, Feb 26, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into my straight sided tumbler. 1-1/2 inch head that recedes into rocky peaks, leaving a nice Brussels lace down the sides of the glass. The label indicates this product is brewed by Guinness in New Brunswick, Canada. This is the first type of Guinness I ever tried, then came the draught cans and bottles, then the draft in the Irish pubs. I feel the bottled Extra Stout is the best. The craic {atmosphere} in the Irish pubs makes the draft stout in Ireland a very close second. Black appearance, no light passes through. The smell is of chocolate roast malt. Very breadlike, with little hop aroma. The taste is most complex, again, chocolate bittersweet malt, coffee, and the hops finish up the taste.
Wonderful, this is world class, and according to Guinness info, makes up only a tiny percentage of sales compared to the draught product.The mouthfeel is medium to heavy, as one would expect for a stout. Drinkability is a little on the low side. I often make half and halfs with this beer and a lager. Isn't it amazing how something that you become familiar with in the beginning follows you your whole life to become the standard. I would so love to try some of the other Foreign Extra Stouts that are not available in the US.

barleyman, Feb 25, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +23%

poured from a bomber bottle into a traditional beer mug

A- can a beer be beautiful? In the case of a extra stout the answer is yes. Famous dark black with the puffy white head after letting the stout rest for a minute. The perfect appearance.

S- dark roasted malts through and through

T- clean upfront, then the malts with hints of a dark roasted coffee, slightly bitter and dry for a finish.

M- about a good as it gets, full bodied, this is a stout.

D- very good, however not perfect because it does not go with everything. This is a stand alone beer in my mind although I do like a stout with bbq meats.

mcarroll10177, Feb 21, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a midnight black with a thick creamy head. Smells of coffee and roasted barley. Taste is strong with coffee but has some chocolate notes. Pretty good...actually better than I expected as the Guinness draught is rather watered down. Goes down smooth and this is definately something one can sit back on a Friday night and enjoy without having to break the bank as well.

rustymoore, Feb 19, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Extra Stout offers a very dark brown body, with a fluffy tan head of thick foam. Nice sheets of lace down the glass.
Smells of sweet fruit aromas, sharp with a zing.
Taste is not very ‘stout-like’ but more porter-esque. This beer is sweeter, and has less bitterness than it’s nitrogen infused compatriot. A floral, fruity hop presense is also detected in the back of the mouth.
Extra Stout has moderate carbonation, with a nice tingle all over the mouth, with a medium mouthfeel. It is not as easy going as the nitro can beer, but it proves the better overall version of Guinness, in my opinion.

cheers...

NClifestyle, Feb 09, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a bottle with no freshness date from Labatt brewery into my imperial pint glass. A solid three finger thick tan head hovers above the rim of my glass. Good lacing follows the black opaque body down. Not much in the way of any hop aroma but the roasted/coffee malt aroma make up for the lack of hops. A smooth roasted bitterness followed by a slick almost lactic, thin finish which is dry in my opinion. I did enjoy this much more than I do the draft on nitro.

jlh8643, Feb 09, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

A - Very dark brown almost jet black. Creamy tan head with large yeasty bubbles percolating through the fine foam.

S - Smells more sour than I remember. This one may be spoiled

T - Tastes of dark roasted chocolate malt with bitter coffee overtones and again that nasty sourness.

M - Feels oily and thick.

D - I used to drink this alot and I liked it. I hope that what I found in this batch is an aberration.

CDBeerDisappear, Jan 31, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured an opaque black with a hint of ruby redness. Moderate carbonation with a light brown, rocky head. Nose was burnt toast and chocolate with some fruitiness as well. Very pleasant aroma; also had some hints of coffee in the background. Body was medium-to-full. Strong burnt notes in the flavor followed by fruit and bitterness and the classic Guinness sourness at the end. Full and pleasant mouthfeel. The drinkabiltiy suffers a bit compared to the draft version but it's still quite good.

A classic beer, and a pretty darn good one to boot. It doesn't quite move me like it used to, but it's still excellent. Definitely more of the sipping variety stout rather than the "let's drink 10 pints" kind. Also rather potent; ye be warned.

shererjt, Jan 29, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

Aroma is kind of molasses and lagery with sweet malts and something corny, but it actually smells ok taken as a whole. Black body holds a firm and creamy thumb thick head that is mostly lasting. Flavor is sweet and malty. Hints of raisin and chocolate. Tastes a lot like a Schwarzbier to my palate, but I like it. Extremely different flavor palate from the draft. And extremely better.

Jredner, Jan 28, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

There are better Stouts but due to actually having Guinness in my blood it is difficult for me to provide a fair review. I am 60 and had my first taste of Guinness at 6. I grew up in a very Irish family and children were not only allowed to have a sip of Guinness but we were encouraged to do so. In the 60's I visited the Guinness Brewery in Dublin. They had no limit on how much you could drink or how long you could stay. Thats why its still running through my veins. Anyhow, here is the review. Short and to the pint, sorry, to the point.
Appearence-Black as an Irish night with a great tan head to dip your nose into. Don't tip your glass when you pour. Just watch it cascade.

Smell-Lovely. Smells like a Guinness! Get some on the floor so the whole room has that Irish odor.

Taste-Yup, lots of it. To me its the original Stout. Sometimes has a coffee taste, some chocolate and a little leather mixed in. Great for that fried egg and bacon breakfast with white toast and real butter.

Mouthfeel-Wonderful. Makes your mouth feel good. Very light and refreshing.

Drinkability-After three pints I begin to hear my Grandmother voice in that deep brogue saying,"another wee one Johnnie?" Try it in a tapered beer glass for the full effect of that lovely head. Even more drinkable then. Every year we get a keg for our annual porch party. Stout stains will give any floor character and actually add value to your home. Enjoy.

Koolbreeze2, Jan 21, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

12 oz. with some sediment in the bottom of the bottle and no freshness date. It pours black with a half-inch tan head that has medium to fine bubbles and good lacing by the end. It smells of dark fruits, hops, and maybe some caramel. It has a medium body that smooths as it warms and it tastes of roasted/black malts, raisins, vinous malts, and a bitterness from both the hops and the black malts. It leaves a long, bitter finish. Tastes better than the draught but is not quite as drinkable.

mmmbeer, Jan 19, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

Guinness Extra Stout pours as black as the inside of a cow with its’ eyes shut (if you have no imagination, that means really black). The head is great. It is creamy looking and hang about for a good bit. The lacing is okay but again the retention is pretty good. It smells like roasted coffee, dark malt, and a very light hint of alcohol. Estery.

Tastes immediately like malts and fruit with a nice hint of hops coming through the sweetness. Finishes a bit burnt tasting with a nice earthy dryness.

Now, for those of you who say that Guinness (either extra stout or draught) is the say all, end all of stouts….I disagree. However, having said that, I really think that this beer is the standard for a stout. Many beers have been based upon this one and the fact that they haven’t changed the recipe in two and a half centuries really says something. Guinness is good.

Mitchel, Jan 17, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +26.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer poured classic guinness blackness with that dark foamy head. There was small rings marking the passage of the beer from my glass.

Smell: The smell was of abit of coffee and malted goodness.

Taste: This is not a particularly complex brew. The taste was malty with a bit of hops for good measure.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer is full bodied. The beer was properly carbonated. There was a time when my measure for beer crack was Guiness. There are many stouts that surpass Guiness; however, Guiness is in a class all by itself.

nlmartin, Jan 11, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

The pour was pitch black with a creamy tan one finger head that slowly dissapated and left a thin tan lace on the glass and the top of the beer throughout the drink.

The smell was heavy in coffee, caramel and hops with a strange fruit undertone that was totally unexpected.

The drink started with a quick hit of mild hops followed by caramel and coffee sweetness the finish was a lingering mild bitterness but still the drink was too thin for my stout taste.

All and all the beer was great it was quite drinkable and a great choice with beef or pork but just thinner in flavor and mouthfeel than I expected.

coasterfreak75, Jan 08, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

The beer pours an impressive and relatively black solid. The brown head that disappears quickly brings it down a point. The smell is good. Like a mocha cappichino, hmm hm! The taste is slightly chocolatly. I say slightly because it isn't as sweet as Guinness Draught original, and that isn't a good thing. The taste is rounded out with a slightly bitter coffee taste. It is really excellent and smooth. However, every now and then some pungent alcoholic tastes will ring through and really ruin it for me. The mouthfeel is good. It is slightly thick with no carbonation coating of the mouth. As for the drinkability the coffee bitterness does get to you during a big gulp but for drinking regularly it is good. Not as good as the original, but then again, few are. Best as a session, and nothing to drink steadily.

nicksta, Jan 01, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a near black, with a fairly small dark tan head that mostly dissipates quite rapidly, but leaves a nice ring the whole way down. Smell is matly, with bitter chocolate and some hints of hops. Tastes bittersweet, with the chocolate coming through in the finish. Mouthfeel is quite good, thick enough to have presence without impacting the drinkability.

Mandrake, Jan 01, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance: Pours a nice jet black with a 3/4" off white foam head. Pretty standard stout look. Lacing is good.

Smell: Fruity with hints of flowery hops and caramel.

Taste: Mango-y fruits up front quickly hidden by a sudden onrush of toasty malts that ends with the malt character slowly diminishing after you swallow. Very tasty and surprisingly complex.

Mouthfeel: To me, this feels chunky, even for a stout. Carbonation is good. Overall, mouthfeel makes me think that I'm eating a meal...definetly not at all bad.

Drinkability: Considering that I am used to drinking higher ABV in a stout, I would have to say that this is very drinkable for its style. I would definetly order this in a bar. Probably my favorite "popular" beer.

pbr85, Dec 29, 2005
Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.