Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
3.45/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This was the best that I could get at the place we went to on Friday night. I was at a great little place in Southern Pines, NC called May Street Market. This place is normally a little restaurant for breakfast and lunch only.... but on Friday nights, they turn it into a beer joint with a live band... COOL IDEA!

I've always had the Guinness on draught nitro tap... but I thought I would try this.

12 oz bottle poured into my pint glass achieving a rather active head of 2" of off-white creamy foam that gradually settled back down... retained well, though. The appearance was pretty much as expected.... black as night.

The smell was very faint.... just slight hints of coffee, malt and bread.

The taste was MUCH more robust than the draught! I prefer the bottle version HANDS DOWN. Good coffee richness and a nice tart finish. Hoppier than the nitro tap.

The mouthfeel is more carbonated than the typical nitro tap.... but not over done.... actually, just right. Perhaps not as THICK as I prefer in a stout.... but OK.

Overall drinkability. is fine.... I think I had 5 over the course of the evening. This won't kick your butt....

Not a GREAT beer, but a good solid Irish Stout.

4.45/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Dark beer, dark reddish tint seen only when held up to a bright light. Head was a bit limper than the draught, and it was like popping my balloon to not see the cascading effect...but still a beauty of a beer.

Smell - Strong aromas of roasted malts and floral hops.

Taste - This is a full flavor, malty start with a little bitterness to finish.

Mouthfeel - Dry. Full body.

Drinkability - You anticipate the next drink while you're still in mid-sip/gulp. I find this one consistent throughout temperature change of chilled to warmed. I was pleased.

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz. bottle. Brewed in Canada.

Appearance: Deep black with no light visible through it. Nice. A chunky, rocky dark tan-colored head maintains throughout the entire beer.

Smell: Faint scent of chocolate and coffee...not a very complex aroma.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Caramel, currant, chocolate sweetness up-front, not cloying, balanced by bitter, astringent finish. Well-rounded toasted malt flavor. A mild alcohol punch finishes. Medium carbonation complements bitterness. A well balanced beer. A bit on the thin side, even for a dry Irish stout.

Drinkability: Surprisingly drinkable, but too alcoholic and the bitter aftertaste too pronounced after a few to be a session beer.

Overall:

A good beer, better than Guinness Draught by a lot. Well balanced for an Irish stout, and exhibits a decent amount of complexity in a style that is too often one-dimensional.

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%

I have this beer right from the bottle and it was really cold.This beer have a nice dark color with a brown almost golden head ,it looks like melted chocolate. Very nice taste, like a hard coffee.The mouthfeel is a little bit different but i really like it.

4.33/5  rDev +17%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is Guinness, a totally different animal from its "draught" brother found in nearly every bar in the country. This beer reminds me much more of a Porter style beer, nice and bitter with those lovely coffee notes. When I want a Guinness, this is what I drink. My Grandfather tells me this is the "real" stuff tat reminds him of home. Don't even bother with that rusty tasting draught style, there are far better stouts on tap if you know where to look (Murphy's for example!)
-J

3.38/5  rDev -8.6%

12 oz bottle. Pours a dark black/brown with a frothy tan head that retains fairly well and laces the glass.

The aroma is musty yeast, metallic grains and some chocolate.

The flavor is grainy chocolate,coffee and a little slightly sour fruit with a burnt roasted bitter finish that lingers in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium with some sharp carbonation.

Overall, a decent dry stout. It's much better than the nitro draught, but I've had much better stouts.

2.78/5  rDev -24.9%

Served at a few degrees over fridge temperature in a pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a robust brown with an *enormous* bone white four-finger head that leaves behind rings of lacing like the years of age in a tree stump. The foamy crown reduces gradually like an airbag, reducing to a flabby mass.

Smell- Much like Guinness draught, the mildly burnt roasted coffee element is there along with the subtle hop aroma.

Taste- A bolder sourness (compared to the nitro can offering) piggybacks the roasted malts and hops. In the mouth, a lemony atmosphere lingers where I would much rather have a traditional bitter coffee finish.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Sharper than ultimately desirable but not bad either... the activity smoothes out right before the swallow and carries the flavors pretty well. Unfortunately, there are many other examples that frankly deliver a more rewarding experience. I wouldn't suggest this beer at all, considering price and regional availability.

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Personally, I prefer this to the draught.

A: Pours very dark,with a minimal dark tan heard. Little lacing.

S: smell is dominated by some light coffee and big roasted malt flavor. Little bit of chocolate in there too.

T: coffee, some sweetness, and I get a lingering taste of raisins.

M: Nothing spectacular, maybe a bit light for a stout if anything but enjoyable none the less.

D: Very drinkable; my beer of choice for this past year's "St. Patty's Day Massacre".

Overall: A classic, nothing special by BA standards, and while I won't seek this beer out I do enjoy it every year on St. Patty's.

4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

Enjoyed one of these out of a pint glass @ 8 in the morning. Ahhh, the life of a college student...

A: Pours what appears to be black but when held up to the light is a very, very dark amber. Initial 3 finger width creamy tan head fades to 1 fairly quickly but leaves generous lacing behind...hold on while I get a sip, that's the best part.

S: Straightforward but appetizing malt, burnt coffee, and very subtle dark chocolate scents

T: Significantly more bitter than the smell would indicate but delicious nonetheless. Dominated by burnt coffee flavors

M: Very smooth, low carbonation...not as "thick" as some make it out to be IMO but then again I love stouts

D. Will gladly drink several of these in a night but they do fill you up quickly. I enjoy these most when they're drank nice and slowly with a meal, or as a meal. :)

This is one of my all time favorites. I'm hoping to go to Ireland in a few years and try a more authentic brew than the stuff the Canadians are shipping down here. Also, this is way better than Draught hands-down.

3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

FWIW, this is a definite improvement over Guinness draught.

Keep in mind I'm a noobie and this is my first beer review.

It pours a nice dark black, with slight amber/reddish hints in the light. The smell is sweeter than the actual taste. I tasted some sour/bitterness with slight burnt flavors. It seems to have just missed the sweet spot which is a shame. Though, I still prefer it over the draught beer they offer. Mouthfeel, was pretty good, again better than the draught. When it comes to drinkability, it's no worse than the draught, and I usually take my time with stouts anyways.

4.4/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A Classic Stout, I like it straight or for making a Black & Tan.

A - I love the way the head twirls and tumbles in my Guinness pint glass.

S - Roasted malt, burnt coffee.

T - Roasted malt, burnt coffee.

M - Smooth and creamy.

D - Can have 2 or 3 straight or quite a few more if being mixed 50/50 with Smithwick's Irish Ale.

2.13/5  rDev -42.4%

Pours black from the bottle that has "St. James Gate Dublin" on the paper label, this is a lie, as this brew came from Canada.

This brew still looks good...

This brew is devoid of any of the flavors of the "Traditionally Brewed"

This brew is only 5.00% ABV, per the Guinness website.

This brew is but an empty shell of it's former self.

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

Serving type - 375ml stubbie bottle, best before 30/10/2007. Brewed under licence by CUB Australia.

Small light tan head which stuck around to the finish. Opaque black with a tinge of amber around the edges. Molasses sweetness with a hint of coffee on the nose. A strong roast flavour dominates the palate along with an assertive bitterness. The flavour doesn't follow through with the hints of the nose - it's all roast. The finish is short but not crisp, and the body is a little thin. The carbonation is moderate, giving this beer a fair degree of drinkability. Overall, a pretty good example of a dry stout, lacking a little complexity though.

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

There is a definite big difference between this and draught.
Pours the same almost black amber with a short tan head that melts away fairly quickly.
Aroma a sweet roasted malt...a bit of dark chocolate and a bit of dark roasted coffee.
Flavor is dark roasted, almost toasted malt with a tiny bit of bitter chocolate that finishes with a bitter hop not present in the original draught.
Mouthfeel is also much creamier and thicker than the draught.
And, personally, I appreciate the extra alcohol present. I think it adds a lot to the flavor of this brew.

4.45/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I love this brew. The "Extra Stout" is twice the brew of the Guinness draught. It's richer, creamier, has more bite and alcohol for the same money. I like my brew more on the bitter side and this gets me there. FYI, if you work in tight spaces with others you might want to take the next day off.

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Given a bottle from a friend. Brewed in Canada under license b Labbatt.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black colour with a lovely fluffy tanned cap which sticks around.

Aroma: Touch of sweetness roasted malt, bread, coffee.

Taste: Quite sweet, earthy, a bit of sourness in finish. Not bad for a being made by Labbatt.

Mouthfeel: About right. Nothing great, nothing wrong. Moderate carbonation, slick.

Final Statement: Not a bad stout indeed, however, not remarkable. I don't buy this often as there are better fish to fry, but it's respectable for being made by Labbatt. Definately nothing you should steer clear of.

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Jet black with a extremely robust frothy mocha head. The head seems to last a long time
The aromas are sundued and hard to pick out.

Has a nice creamy dry taste to it. some chocolate and some bitterness to it too less coffe than i would have expected, but definatly some bitterness.
Mouthfeel is good somewhat creamy leaves a dry taste int the mouth.
i find this beer more drinkable than the standard guinness(draught). good over all flavor, great appearance. worth trying

3.03/5  rDev -18.1%

22 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a very nearly opaque black color. Solid, foamy, and slightly rocky head is moderately thick and tan.

Smell: Extremely light aroma. I can catch a bit of coffee and some sugar.

Taste: Has a taste of roasted malts and coffee. A strong bitterness is present with some sugary undertones. Aftertaste has a pronounced and lingering bitterness as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium- to heavy-bodied and generally smooth. Carbonation is a bit more sustained than I'd like.

Drinkability: Much too bitter for a stout. Alcohol is fine.

Wasn't sure what to expect from this at first, but I don't particularly enjoy it. Really it's just an average stout that is way too much on the bitter end. This is quite different from the traditional Guinness. Worthy of a try for the curious, but not repeated tryings.

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

Very dark brown with a medium-sized, light tan, pillowy head that slowly diminishes to a thick film. Smell is sweet roasted malts, brown sugar, toffee, light citrus broth earth and wood. Taste is similar with the roasted malts being bold from start to finish. Also more wood and a little cherry in there towards the dry finish. It has a medium-full body, dry texture and low carbonation. Just a good all around stout. I’d drink this quite often if it weren’t for the price tag.

3.18/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours a ridiculous thick foamy cream colored head, and leaves a puffy lacing throughout...head thins out fairly quick for how big it is.

Smells sweet, prunes and/or raisins...However there is a distinct metal finish in the scent, and the taste is similar....light chocolate sweetness and bitterness but still with a metalic finish...mouthfeel is a bit thin and weak for something that is a beer that is called "extra" stout.

Two years ago this would have been heaven for me, but much better beers have come along since...Still definitely drinkable and ok for a quick stouty fix but definitely not a choice beer...if there isn't anything more appealing it's a good choice, otherwise, there's probably better options.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

341 ml bottle. 5% ABV. Brewed under license by Labatt.

A- Black with faint reddish highlights. Smallish beige head with frothy look due to small bubbles. Head went down too quickly. Had a second with a better head that had good durability. In both cases the foam stck to the mug.

S- Malt and touch of roastiness. Weak for a stout.

T- Bitter coffee. Good malt backbone. Bitter and roasted flavours a bit mild for a stout, though they improve as beer warms. Lingering aftertaste is nice though.

MF- Smooth. Somewhat creamy. A little thin though. Leaves the mouth a bit dry. Still a good aspect of the beer.

D- Easy enough to take and has some flavour. Not my first choice for a stout though. There are some better local choices that cost much less despite the fact that this was brewed here in Canada.

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

I decided to buy some of these yesterday. I forgot how good Guinness truly is. I drank some of the "Draught" versions of this on St.Patrick's day. The difference in taste is quite stark. Maybe it is the widget in the draught or the fact that it is pastuerized, but I like the taste of the Extra Stout much better than draught. Draught did pour better though.

A - Not bad, same traditional bottle.

S - Pretty good. What I've come to expect a stout to smell like.

T - Good. It is even better than the draught version, and it ain't bad either.

M - Good.

D - 3.0....after a few and I need a change of pace.

3.05/5  rDev -17.6%

Appearance: Once the head forms all you see is a yeast full, foamy top that could actually speak if it had a mouth. Very nice looking beer.

Smell: This category is not a strong point of the beer, for my taste. I try to be open minded but it just needs to be a little less sour with its smell. But other wise it is a strong roast malt and coffee infused smell. Good though.

Taste: This again is average for this beer. Good tasting coffee, malts, and a mild bitterness. I could actually like the beer more if the bitterness would not last as long in your tongue.

Mouth Feel: Again the feel of this beer can seem sometimes too much like a metal aftertaste. Other than that this beer does pack a good substance in your mouth surely not leaving you feeling like you just had a watered down beer.

Drink: The Beer does make itself drinkable, but only for two or so, after that you do feel the impact of feeling full. Its like eating a bread in the liquid form.

Over all an average beer, it will always find its way to me on St. Paddy's.

Only now, the question is what beer to drink on St. Joseph's day?

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Picked this up for Saint Patrick's Day. I had the draught last year around this time, and I didn't think too highly of it. It was watered-down compared to what I was used to on tap, and the last time I had this, it was after dinner at a bar I frequent. Now that I'm having this at home, it's good to finally review it, and savor the whole bottle.

The pour was nice for this. As much as I thought this was black, it had a bit of brown around the edges to it. The head nearly overflowed my pint glass, and the aroma was pleasant, if not strong. The taste is good but not overpowering - lots of caramel, espresso, chocolate, and a roasty undertone, but the aftertaste is solidly bitter, to the point of being sour, and lingers for quite a long while. It doesn't have the warming effect that I remember, but it's still enjoyable in a very subtle way.

The 6.00% ABV can be felt here, but I never got the impression that this beer was too strong. A bit of lacing is clinging to the edges of my glass, as I swish this around my mouth. Sure, it's not that easily found in bottles when I go out, but this is certainly a old stanby of mine, and quite a solid beer for a night out with buddies, or after a hearty meal. Now if we could get the Foreign Extra Stout on U.S. soil...

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

St. Patrick's Day yesterday, so what better time to take a critical look at Guinness Extra Stout.

This is the first stout and really dark ale that I ever tried back in 1992 and I'm happy to report that it's still a decent ale. I poured this bottle into a stemmed tasting glass, which helped to generate a lovely rocky, light tan head and very fine bead of carbonation. The color was opaque; with no hints of ruby, just dark as night.

This Guinness Extra Stout had a little bit of a burnt toast aroma with some vinous notes. It still tasted good to me, with some espresso coffee flavors and a bitter, dry finish. I couldn't pick up much in the way of hops, except for some earthy, slightly spicy hops up front. Most of the bitterness seemed to come from the roasted malts in the form of some bitter espresso type flavors. As the beer warmed up to room temperature I noticed a very slight sourness.

This was definitely the best Guinness Extra Stout I've had in the last couple years. I followed this up with a can of Guinness Draught, which wasn't as tasty.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.