Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
4.34/5  rDev +17.3%

Honestly, my favorite of the comercially available, largely brewed beers. The stout is very strong and enjoyable. Althought something I would not want to drink pint after pint, a pint at dinner does me well.

A-I love the obsidian black of this beer. Good, thick head.

S-Earthy. Strong. Difficult to describe, but good. Wakes you up.

T-I love the taste of the extra stout. Very bitter but slightly sweet at the beginning

MF-Good, but not quite enough carbonation to keep it going.

Drinkablility-Good for an extrememly strong stout.

3.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

You k now, I have to disagree with the hype....
I never really liked this beer, but honestly, this time I tried to rate it honestly.
Pitch black with a light brown head.
I faint smell of alcohol, bitter chocolate, roasted malt.
Faint taste of bitter chocolate, not a lot of complexity.
Mouthfeel is really good, though, heavy but smooth.
Drinkability is above average for the style.

Pretty good beer, just not enough for the hype..

3.3/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer poured a opaque black, with no light visibly through, when held up to the light. A small tan head, that quickly faded, leaving a small amount of lacing. The aroma is strongly of raisens, and a little coffee. The taste, I know it sounds weird, is almost prune-like. Maybe my taste has changed, or the brewer changed its recipe, but this is definitely not the way I remember this beer tasting. Where it should be strong roasted malts, is replaced by an almost sick fruity taste. Maybe I got a bad batch, but this is definitely not what I expect from Guinness. Will definitely try again in the future, and review then.

2003 bottle that has been stored for three years:

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer poured an opaque black, forming a thick mocha 1 inch head, that left light rings of lace on the glass. The aroma is light, mostly of roasted malt. The taste is rich roasted malt, with a light coffee flavor in the aftertaste. Medium mouthfeel, and very smooth finish. This is how I remember Guinness Extra Stout tasting. I could drink a sixer of this easy. Maybe its because it was aged? Either way, this is what I expect from Guinness.

3.19/5  rDev -13.8%

A: Blackish dark brown with copper tones. Tan head.
S: No. Can't find one, really.
T: Roasted, hints of smoke and coffee. Somewhat creamy and full of body, still a bit too dry for my taste. After taste not lingering except for roasted tones.

Although Guinness is what comes to mind when one think of stout, this is not as good as the stuff you can get in this cathegory of beer. A bit too dry, too odorless and with too little after taste. Nice beer to round things up (as a last half pint).

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Apperance: thick frothy head and great retention

Smell: caramel malts and some faint alcohol

Taste: Roasted chocolate malts with a good hop balance. Better than Guinness Draught.

MF: A little thin, but clings decently. Has a little bit of a watery feel.

Drinkability: Easy to drink.

Not a bad brew. A sessionable stout.

2.8/5  rDev -24.3%

this has a metallic ...artificially created ....like not chocolate...not malt...just ...kinda plain,,,i am not fond...this beer is overrated...
nice black color though....lame bubbly head like it has soap in it...blaugh...i just think its popularity ruins it,,,,chances are when the majority talks about a beer being good that it usually isnt all its cracked up to be...not a stout that lives up to my standard...

4.16/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours a pitch black dark into snifter glass with a rich, creamy head that lasts a great deal of time and a heavy lace remains. Bottle says it's from Canada. The extra stout is the only guiness you'll find in America that does not come from the St. James Gate brewery in Ireland.

Taste is very rich of roasted malt. Tastes of coffee and roasted malt. Taste is amplified as it warms up. I prefer it at just about room tempterature, it allows for tastes to be felt by the entire mouth. Hop is pretty sweet, especially when warmer.

Overall a fine extra stout, much better than the original guinness. Probably the darkest looking beer you will find and a wonderful head. Enjoy this one warm.

3.51/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours jet black, maybe a touch towards burnt umber around the edges, with a thick beige head that laces quite a lot. Smells a touch burnt, maybe musty (?) and somewhat metallic... ugh, not optimistic here. It's all there in the taste, though; a crisp malty attack with rather severe bitterness, resolving into a complex nutty, roasty finish. Lots of savory nutty / bready flavors meld in the aftertaste, the most notable difference from the draught cans and QUITE a bit better. The body is dry but not thin, and well complemented by the stiff carbonation. Definitely the preferred embodiment of this classic of the stout genre.

As for the smell... not sure what's up with that. A bad bottle? I'll come back and edit later if the next one is significantly different.

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Pours very dark, nearly black with just a little blood red showing through when held up to the light. Creamy looking head that stays until the beer is gone.

Smells: Roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, and burnt coffee beans .

Taste: Taste is sweet and malty, very little bitterness, but not unbalanced. Dry finish leaves a coffee-like after taste with a bit of burnt coffee bean flavor right at the end.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and medium to heavy body with little carbonation.

Drinkability: Goes down smooth and there is not even a hint of alcohol in the smell or taste. I'd say this is quite a drinkable beer.

Serving Type: Bottle

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

A - It is a dark black color with a small creamy/tan head. The head never really goes away and leaves lacing.

S - Smells of roasted maltiness and chocolate.

T - It is bitter and malty. It has a coffee-like aftertaste. A little bittersweet.

M - It is soft on the tongue and medium-bodied.

D - I always enjoy Guinness beers and this is no exception.

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

I was really excited when I picked up this six pack today. I am a HUGE fan of guinness draught, and finally finding the elusive Guinness Extra Stout made my day, but it sadly didnt live up to my expectations as being an above average beer experience. Beautiful color and pours a rich 2 1/2" head. Dissapates after a few minutes to only a centimeter or so. Great lacing. Has the strong, distinct guinness smell, thats the only way i can describe it, just cant get enough of that burnt malt aroma. Tastes like the draught but with more of a hoppy, bitter kick. Has the deep burnt malt taste but suprisingly was slightly wattery. Not as thick as the draught. Not quite as drinkable as the draught but drinkable none the less. I do like this beer but when im in the Guinness mood i think ill take the draught, just has more to offer, but this is definately worth trying, if you can find it. Im not dissapointed, just wasnt what I expected, but indeed, Guinness Extra Stout is well worth the $10.50 for a 6 pack.

4.35/5  rDev +17.6%

This is the first beer a purchased legally on my 21st birthday.
The beer pours a deep dark brown/black appropriate for the style with a thick and creamy beige-colored head. Good head retention and lacing. Certainly not the distinctively creamy head of Guinness on tap but a delicious head nonetheless. The aroma is a little understated with floral, hops and yeast notes. In the mouth the beer is thick and silky with a crisp bite of hops. Certainly the typical stout the hops and sourness balance very well with the richer, darker elements for a harmonious complexity, I also believe I taste a little coffee/chocolate. Overall this is a great beer and highly recommend if u haven’t tried one out please do.

P.S. The best with food

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Extra Stout was the first beer I can say I honestly enjoyed. When poured into a pint glass you will notice the darkness of the beer once the head has settled down. When drinking Guinness, I feel a hint of coffee/chocolate in the beer. Very enjoyable. Great beer with a meal. Very filling.

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%

Just wanted to put down some notes on this one because I can never remember how it tastes. I guess that is because the taste is somewhat muddled. There is naturally a base of deeply roasted malt with a punchy coffee character that co-exists less than harmoniously with an odd fruitiness that somehow rides through on the metallic finsh. I liken it to the fruit character I find in some lagers like Stella Artois.

Despite this lack of cohesiveness I count this as actually quite smooth for an extra/ imperial/ big stout or whatever. The alcohol is very restrained and the bitter characters are blunted well. It is still hard to imagine drinking this in the heat of the Carribean, but maybe thats is a different brew? Guiness is so confusing when it comes to branding.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours an almost opaque brown with ruby highlights. Burly, pancake-looking nut brown head retains well. Smell is of sweet toffee and caramel malts. Taste begins with a mild citric tinge that is attenuated almost immediately by the malts. The citrus-rind like ghost background is evident throughout the drink, although it isn’t obtrusive. Mild chocolate and toasted grain notes are in the forefront.

This brew has a full body that is slick, but the balance is weighted heavily in the malt. Not too cloying considering the style, but not as drinkable as others in this same category.

Overall a solid offering that I prefer over Draught version.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

My friends occaisonally buy this, mistaking it for normal Guinness. Thank god for dumb luck. The contempt I hold for Guinness Draught might sour me on the brewery, if they didn't make real beer like this one. A rich black color, roasted and burnt aroma, with strong coffee and espresso over chocolate flavor. I can't quite tell the difference between this and an English stout, but either way its good beer.

3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

Umm, what's the big deal?

Looks great, nice dark almost black, tan head. Looks creamy and delicous.

All I smell is burnt malt.

The taste is not good. I like a good dark, full-bodied stout, but this was not it. This sounds like sour grapes, especially in light of Jason's recent Beer Smack article, but Ireland's macro tastes no better to me than a hack German mega-brew (light years in front of BMC however). While reviewing this beer you can feel free to bemoan (laugh at) the plight of the American macro drinker, yada yada, but someone who's really trying to appreciate the personal, artistic nature of an artisanal brew should not have their crank turned by Guinness' offerings. The stout is at least an improvement on the half-and-half "draught" on every tap who's owner is one-eighth Irish on his mom's side. In terms of characteristics, not quite the roasted malt I expected. High IBU count adds to the roasted qualities, produces a pucker. Slightest of hops kicks, not enough. Retains some of the "draught" creaminess. Like an over-brewed coffee, I found myself looking for the cream. I struggled through my 24 ounce bottle, and had to switch to water for a while to get the taste out of my mouth.

Is this a Midwest thing? I assume mine was brewed and bottled in Canada. Are they better on the East Coast? Are they better on the Continent? Do you have to be in Ireland to like this?

It has its rabid fans, but so does Budweiser. For my stout I'll take Sam Smith's (or Rogue) or something with oatmeal.

2.74/5  rDev -25.9%

The pour into my Fuller's nonic raises a fast-falling, two finger head, tan and large bubbled. The body is just slightly ruby at the edges, otherwise opaque. The head leaves some sudsy lacing, but not much. Head retention puts this below average. The odor is quite hoppy, seems like strong and earthy English varieties. There's actually very little roast here. The taste is pretty acidic, and only slightly roasty in the back of the taste. It really doesn;t have much to offer here. The mouth is medium light, with biting carbonation. This is easy to drink, and this is the last bottle in my sixer. I bought a case of this in the past, but I think my palate has improved to the point where I want more character than this. Or, maybe I have a bad lot. Anyway, I'll stick with standard Guinness, on draught at the first...

4.31/5  rDev +16.5%

The black is beautiful. I fell in love with this beer when I first tasted and saw the pour. It seems to hold a cream off white color for as long as the beer is in the glass. The feel of the beer is delightful. I love the thickness of it. But the thing that makes me love this beer other than the color (which is the best looking beer I have ever seen) is the coffee/chocolate hints in the malt. It is not overly hopped. Which I love. I am not a big fan of high hopped beers.

2.59/5  rDev -30%

Pours a dark brown. Nice tan head, good retention,and very nice lacing. Smell is weak.Roasted malt mostly. Body is medium,and flat. Taste is not good. It's hard to describe. Just a bad combination of whatever they put in this beer. Sweet up front, with a watery sour finish. Would not drink this again.

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

Thank goodness for good old Guinness. It is typically attainable at nearly any bar. Even the hole in the wall types. This factor has developed my love for this beer.

The pour throws some thick black stuff my way. My fellow shooters said it looks like oil as they sipped their Bud Lights. It produces a nice tan head and leaves behind some serious, real true lace. Quite a nice looking glass of stuff if I do say so meself! I am unable to assess the carbonation factor as this is a typical nebulous stout. I am surely approving of the get up it has going on.

The nose is dark with a slightly ashy undertone. Roasted. Creamy. I can detect the hop presence. As it warms it almost seems to promote a dark fruit scent. Although quite slight, there is a touch of black cherry and maybe some raisin qualities. The roast malty richness dominates by far. It smells hearty.

The taste is spot on. Dark and rich. Not too much to get a grip on however. It is nicely bittered. A bit creamy. Again the ashy aspect comes through with some chalky character as well. Overall light. This plays into the drinkability aspect of the thing. Many a man will turn his face from this beer. I do remember my first time with this one and I met it with similar displeasure. Ah, how things change. This is an old faithful now in these times of poor selection at the bars in my area. I have been loving it up all night already you see. This particular reviewed sample is simply the icing on the cake that I have been glutonously embibing this evening. You cannot go wrong here if you are pure of heart and I know you are, me fellows and lasses.

Mouthfeel is thicker than the average. That being said this is not an imperial creation by any stretch. It is a great any time stout. If you are a fan of the style you will certainly be able to appreciate the beauty of this brew. I wish our national beer was this as opposed to the lager. It makes me feel ashamed in a way. God bless the poor bastards who drift through life without ever realizing the potential of beer.

Drinkability is top notch to this old boy. Hell, I am knee deep in them now and I am thinking of heading to the groc to snag some more. That is the beauty of Guinness. You can get it at the groc without fail. Somehow people still gravitate toward the common place swills. We as a country are so behind the times. Commercialism swallows up every bit of taste we have. It is time for the revolution! No more mundane beverages! As you can well see I am perfectly pleased with my selection for the eve! Three cheers to the Irish and their macro! We should be ashamed and I know most of us are. Good beer!

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A totally different beast than the Guinness with the widget. Pours an inky black color with a loosely textured tan head. Aroma of dark unsweetened chocolate. Medium bodied with an astringent flavor of dark chocolate and hints of smokey malt. Hop bitterness is present in an odd kind of lemony taste. Not a bad brew, but I couldn't session this beer as I'd need to move on after 2 at the most.

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Guiness Extra Stout
Bomber
Recent bottling, imbibed 09/06
Medium hard pour in an English pint glass

Poured black with deep brown mahogony outer edges with a huge mocha fully lasting rocky head with excellent lacing.

Smelt of moderate molasses, with faint deep roast, and coffee.

Taste was upfront moderate lactic sourness and light sweet molasses followed by a strong bitter burnt aftertaste with accompanying moderate acidity that dies with faint fruity esters and light semi dark chocolatey sweetness that all blend nicely in a long finish. Mouthfeel was medium body, slightly dry, lively carbonation, with moderate astringency.

Overall, it still bites strongly like a classic beer that one can always fall back on.

Side note: The pale ale base does seem to give it a more watery feel than it used to. The flavor remains mostly unaffected though.

4.55/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

First off, this was about oh seven clams for a six pack. Local Shop and Save.

Extra Stout is exactly what it says.
Luckly I just bought some new Glasswear today. (Big glass stein, little smaller than 2.5 bottles.)

A: Great black color, dark Hues. No BS. Pretty overall. Guinness DEFINITLY. About 3/4 inch of a head. More than Draught by far, but milky kinda head. Then subsiding down to almost nothing.

S: Wow, powerful. Bitter smelling. Nice to my smeller. Very hard to beat. Chocolatey. Coffee.

T: Again strong. Used to the draught, But it has a nice feeling. Thick, like I wish the Draught was. Beautiful. Muah! Bitter aftertaste.

M: The best. This is it for me folks. The best I can find, Guinness has got me again. Perfect. Cannot get any better than I have seen.
Meal in a Growler. Nice and rich. Makes my mouth water.

D: This is a beer I would much rather drink alone than with a bunch of people. Easily said, I like to "Drink" This one and appreciate Supurb brewing. This is a real treat, somthing that makes me feel kinda like Im spoiling myself.

Overall a favorite for my first Extra Stout. Winner in all fields. If I could only get this mouthfeel in a draught. I would NEVER drink a different brew. PERFECT.

Clockwork

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

Ahh. Finally a real Guinness. Usually all I can find around town is the nitro-can or bottled Guiness Draught (which is not a bad drinking beer), but this! This is the stuff!

Pours the blackest of black with very slight purple hues around the extreme edges when held to the light. One finger head drops to a thin coating of of chocolate milk colored bubbles. Nice lacing coats the glass.

I smell sweet chocolate and coffee notes predominately. Roasty malt aromas are also present.

Wow! This is BITTER! Super strong espresso bitter flavor hits the palate like an 18 wheeler! This is not a subtle brew by andy stretch of the imagination. Also, loads of roasted and charred grains in addition to more subdued chocolate flavors. The initial sweetness (present for all of half a second) is quickly overtaken by a healthy roasty bitterness that sticks to your tongue like napalm.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side, but the deep and rich flavor makes it seem thicker than it actually is.

I love this brew! You should have seen my girlfriend's face when she took a sip! She made the bitter aack! face with squinty eyes and protruding tongue. This is a very powerful brew indeed.

For those of us who love espresso and chocolate covered coffee beans, you really can't beat the deep roasty bitterness of the original Guinness.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.