Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

I forgive you Guinness for my first taste of dark beer and my ensuing black-balling of all beer dark and not afterwards. I've never been a drinker and especially not in quantity. But recently the first part of that equation changed and I've tried as much varitety as I can afford on a plebian salary. This is baker's chocolate dense and dark in the membrane all the way through to its black heart. A dry dark with some carmel lacing that makes my vertigo fogginess a little deeper and soupier at the base of the brain. I don't recommend this with Dramamine but maybe with a plopping of ice cream in the side-car dish of your hazy summer.

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Had one to compare to the more popular Draught version. Bummer it’s made in Canada. Appearance is quite simply awesome. Jet black body with a creamy tan head that never recedes below an inch and leaves lacing everywhere. Even in the bottle. The smell is kind of off-putting. Deep roasted character, but with a little bit too much hops for a stout. The taste is the same way, coffee-like (not as pronounced as the Draught), but the hops really remind you of an ale. An interesting pairing I've never ran into. Drinkability isn't spectacular. After about two bottles you throw in the towel to the strong nature of this beer. Alcohol isn't pronounciated for a 6.00% however, so that’s no issue. A very well done, non-watery stout. Can't say I like it better than Draught. It just has that ale yeast taste to it that is forgien to me in a stout. Roasted flavor is awesome though! Not as burnt as draught.

3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

Well I really enjoy this beer. This is the beer that I compare all other beers to, it is what I drink on a regular basis. It is a little different sice they changed to the Canada brewery but I still enjoy it. All in all This is what I use when I want to get drunk and I am a little light on the cash.

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

Guinness is the first stout I ever tried. The first time I had it I hated it. Now I have grown to like it. Still, it certainly isn't the best stout out there. Guinness is basically a macro stout. That being said it is still good, but certainly not great either. A friend of mine and I got a 6 pack of this recently, so here goes the review.A 12 oz bottle poured into my pint glass. Pours a very dark, almost black color with a tan head about 1/2 inch thick when poured. Settles pretty quickly to a nice surface coating, leaving some nice lacing. Aromas of hops, coffee, and perhaps dark chocolate dominate the smell. The taste on the palate is pretty much exactly the same as the smell, only to me the taste is stronger than the smell. Definitely has some hop bitterness to it tastewise, but also some sweet notes as well. The two balance each other very nicely, but the black coffee like bitterness is certainly stronger than the sweetness. That's one of the best qualities of this beer. However, as the beer warms up it only gets more and more bitter, and not in a good way either IMO. I almost didn't want to finish the beer because of this. Has a medium bodied, smooth, rich, creamy mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. I found this beer to be fairly easy to drink. I certainly like this better than the draught version with the draught ball inside the nitro can/bottle. Not a bad beer, but the black coffee bitterness was a little much. Guinness is a good beginner's stout for a newbie who has never had a stout before, but it ain't good for a whole lot else.

Eric

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours as a rich chocolate brown. Has a wonderful thick and light brown head. Deep rich scent with hints of hops and chocolate. Taste is very similar to the scent, rich and filling. Drinkability is not extremely high because it is such filling beer. A great beer probably my favorite Guinness.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

Guinness Extra Stout pours with much carbonation. Not as concentrated as the lighter draft version from the nitro bottle. Hopefully this will taste better than the regular draught version. The head concentrates to form a thick dry appearance, very chunky. The body is nearly pure black, but has a hint of reddish hues when put up to natural light. The head lasts nearly all the way through, great presentation.

I can detect the esters of the ale yeasts used in this brew. Also I detect the smoky charcoal characters that make a stout a stout. Guinness Extra Stout actually smells also a bit like roses.

I don’t think I remember ever appreciating this stout before. It’s not thick like draught, and this is much more flavorful. There’s not as much of a burnt flavor as with regular Guinness, and not bland. The ale yeast is much more detectable, as well as the hops. It’s almost fruity as a porter.

Overall I’m impressed with this sample. I’ve always turned my nose up at Guinness Extra Stout, thinking it would be a waterier version of regular Guinness. I was wrong. I beg Arthur Guinness for forgiveness. A Guinness a day is good for you.

TheSarge

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

Great appearance, it pours pitch black in color with a nice 1" brown head that quickly dissipates. The smell was of malts and roasted coffee. The taste echoed the smell with coffee and malts but also present were hints of chocolate and some slight bitterness. Nice mouthfeel with some carbonation and it was obviously thicker than the Draught. This was an easily drinkable beer.

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Bomber poured into a 0.5L Duvel tulip.

A: Body is completely black, head is tan, tight, and sticky with good staying power. The beer leaves lines of lacing behind.

S: Dark malts, touch of alcohol, maybe a little dark fruit or honey sweetness.

T: Heavy roasty bitterness up front, followed by those malts. Aftertaste again starts bitter, followed by definite sweetness and chocolate flavors

M: Good carbonation, though a little thin.

D: A lingering bitterness which isn't all that pleasant, but otherwise pretty easy to drink.

One of the first better beers I drank; still an old favorite, especially for the price.

3.3/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Like I'd imagine a dark room in hell: Black as sin, with a slight red tinge from the distant flames.

S: Coffee, Barley... But not as strong as you'd expect. Certainly more substantial than its weaker counterpart.

T: Roasted. Not much else to say, except that the aftertaste kicked it up a notch with some hops. I would prefer something with a bit more complexity to the flavor, but the single-mindedness of the approach isn't bad, and I see why it's so popular. It lacks the pretentious qualities of many american brews.

M: My favorite part of this brew. Not as watery as normal guinness, more carbonation, but not so much that it takes away from the taste.

D: Obviously, not as drinkable as regular guinness (which tastes like creamy coffee to me), but holds its own as a drinkable stout. Much more so than a russian imperial or many american styles. Good session beer for stout fans.

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

A - Deep black from a far, rich brown in actuallity. Frothy white head at first that dissapates quicky and holds no retention.

S - Light barley, toasty grain, coffee, caramel.

T&M - Taste is quite stout, sour waves of hoppy astringent grains pass the palate. Earthy tones wash the mouth during the whole sip. Finishes dry and creamy. Full bodied.

D - Drinkability is decent, due to the smoothness.

Guinness's signature brew, and quite a fine one.

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured a deep black hue with a three finger pillowy tan head. There was very good retention and excellent sticky lacing.

The smell consisted of light roasted malt, with hints of coffee caramel and cocoa. Earthier than I expected.

The taste consisted of strong roasted grain elements, with a good showing of coffee and caramel. There was a mild sweetness detected as well. A good hop bitterness appears at the end. A nicely balanced flavor. Good toasted biscuity aftertaste.

The mouthfeel was lightly chewy and well carbonated. Finished dry.

A very drinkable stout. Very good flavor and a manageable ABV. In my opinion, this beer stands well on its own and as a session beer.

3.4/5  rDev -8.1%

Good aroma, pours to a rich dark brown color. Had the bottled version recently, draft version a couple years ago. Both are strong with a good finish. These are better when just sipping one or two early in the evening. Too heavy for late night or mass consumption. Overlall, a good stout beer.

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearence: Coming out of the tap the beer itself had a very dark brown appearence.

Smell: This beer has the epitome of roasted malts scent if i have ever smelle roasted malts.

Taste: The taste is begins like coffee and chocolate but not quite a bitter as normal coffee. Doesn't leave a terrible aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: The thickness of the beer leaves the drinker interested.

Drinkabilty: A very smooth beer to drink yet thick, almost need a fork to eat it. I kid. The beer is very drinkable.

4.7/5  rDev +27%

This is a wonderful dark (very dark) beer with a frothy brown (!) head. Upon pouring, the head is the most intriguing of any I've seen, though I've found it disperses quickly (as is usually the case) in an unclean glass (as is usually the case). The flavor and smell is similar to communing with a great grassy expanse containing big fat roasting malts waving in the wind and roiling like waves in the ocean. Marvelous, I don't think there's a better roasted malt beer in the world. This is the gold standard. However, the Irish style ultra-smoothness of the beer in the mouth lends a bit less than exceptional rating on the mouthfeel and drinkability...if they collaborated with Porter makers in northern England (goodness, no!) to improve the gaseousness and put an edge in the mouth to help transmit more of that wonderful flavor, they'd likely make the best beer the planet has ever seen (and that was ever dreamed possible).

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Guinness in a bottle, After being quite familiar with the Draught, and the draught cans, I figured I'd give this a try.

This poured a nice black into the glass with a bit of lacing and minimal head. Smell is of roasted malts with some barley notes in there. The roasted flavor makes it's way into the flavor which is very pleasant, however the mouthfeel is very thin. The body doesn't carry all the way into the finish which was a bit disappointing. But this is still not a bad brew overall, and it's quite easy to drink.

I'd get this one again.

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

The beer poured a rich black with a fine tan head that stayed on top of the beer. The aroma was of strong toasted malt with sweet malt in the background. The taste was of good sweet toasted malt no noticable signs of hops. The feel was heavy and dry. I've had a lot of Guinness on tap, and several bottles of the Draught version. This is the equal of the best drafts I've had, and has none of the waterieness that the draught bottle has. I have to say I'll have more of this on hand in the future.

3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle marked "extra stout"

Pour produces a dark, almost black beer, but with a tinge of ruby.
The smell is of coffee with overtones of hops.
The coffee and hops smells are expressed with the first sip. Also present is a creamy maltiness. The mouthfeel is definitely fairly thick. Drinkability is fair. I have had more drinkable beers and less drinkable beers.
This beer tastes much stronger and has a much thicker feel than Guinness Draught. A fairly good, readily available version of an Irish Stout.

2.73/5  rDev -26.2%

When my wife and I planned our trip to Ireland, our friends said, have a Guinness for us, so we did. Many people told us that Guinness tastes different in Ireland than in the USA. I could not tell any difference between here than there. They do go through a lot of Guinness in Ireland but we go through a lot of Miller Lite here. Not impressed, like Murphy's Stout better.

3.7/5  rDev 0%

This is one of the first beers I started my beer drinking life with. I've sample Guinness in many forms and the non nitro'd bottle is the way to go in my opinion. Pour is a dark black, with no red hue which I've seen in draft sample, the head is a large brown one which hangs in for while. Taste is chocolatey with some roastedness. Mouthfeel is watery but still is an overall good beer and one I go back to often.

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours with an impressive 1 inch thick head that lasts long and laces the glass well. completely black in color. Smells good with a hint of chocolate. make you want to drink. Has a bitter taste and very powerfull chocolate after taste. Very carbonated, not at all like regular Guinness. but it tastes good and leaves a pleasant after taste. as with most stouts, I'm not sure how many you will want to drink in a row. over all though, I recommend trying this beer if you haven't before.

3.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

ST: 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

AP: Thick black, 1/2" thick brownish head. doesn't cascade like the nitro cans.

Aroma: Burnt chocolate, Caramel, Oak wood.

Taste: hints of chocolate & smokey malts.

MF: Pretty carbonated in the 12 oz bottle, nitro can is much smoother and thicker, this version pops on the palate much more. I like the smoother thicker style.

DA: always a very drinkable brew.

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pt. glass. Nice deep dark color. Some buy very little ruby tones as light shines through. head is rich and creamy tan. Please, beer rarely looks any better.

Smell is very faint. some sweet deep roasted malt almost no hops.

Taste is full rich creamy dark roasted malt with coffee and chocolate. The malt is outstanding. Finish is also very good, nice but slight, bitter bite.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full.

Drinkability is not very high about ave. for the style. MK

1.68/5  rDev -54.6%

While at the Beer Store this afternoon, I decided to do a bit of a one-on-one comparison between Guinness Pub Draught (in a can, the only of the Guinness stouts actually brewed in Ireland) and Guinness Extra Stout, which is contract brewed by Labatt's (and is so clearly not an import that it appears on the Premium Brands wall rather than the Imported Brands wall). After serving up a Guinness Draught in my pint glass (and being thoroughly pleased with the results), I cracked a bottle of the competition.

That the extra stout is contract brewed by Labatt's does not give me a warm feeling, as they are undoubtedly my least favourite of the Canadian brewers (even Molson beers are a touch more pallatable). But nevertheless, I trek onward. My initial dissapoint lies in this brew sitting in an industry standard bottle that fails to do the Guinness-style justice. Plan gold cap with a simple print, plain gold label. Nevertheless, I poured the stout to see what's what.

Guinness Extra Stout pours almost black as night, with only the slightest hints of ruby penetrating at the very edges, and only in bright light. The brew is capped by two healthy fingers off a very nutty-off-white coloured head (markedly different from the frothy cap of the draught). Unlike the draught, this cap dies down quite quickly, and leaves only slight lacing that is quite runny. After about five minutes, there is only an ever-so-slight ring of head that still persists. Stouts are tasty looking beers, but even for a stout, I'm not especially impressed.

Smell is average, at best. I really can't get much at all in the nose, even after several moments of careful observation. All I really get is a faintly bitter hoppiness, and some burnt (not good burnt, but rather burnt to the point of unpleasantness) coffee notes. Slightly grassy, also. Nothing like the beautiful odour of the draught.

Taste is not great either. Burnt coffee (again, to the point of unpleasantness) is the only real flavour note I can detect. Beyond that is a harsh metallic sort of twang (very prominant, and very unpleasant). Some faint hoppiness (a grassiness) also, faint roasted barley, I suppose, but this brew is severely lacking. I'm mystified as to why Guinness attaches its name to it. Finish is dry and there's a general oddness that, I suppose, is a combination of all of the off flavours in the actual taste. Certainly lacks the creaminess, and the body of the draught.

Mouthfeel is a bit of a bright spot. Carbonation is only slightly excessive, but at least the body is nice and moderate. However, the draught in a can also gets a much better score here for combining that nice mouthfeel with a perfect level of quiet carbonation.

As for drinkability, I could see it being possible to have a few of these - but really, why would you want to (upon further reflection, I actually found myself pouring out extra bottles of the stuff because my tastebuds and my stomach simply could not deal with it - this is the only beer I've ever had that I can say this for).

Guinness Extra Stout is... not good at all. If you're going in for a Guinness branded stout (and you, presumably, don't have the means to actually go to Ireland), stick with the Guinness Pub Draught in a can. This offering is just not pleasing.

3.08/5  rDev -16.8%

In short, Guinness Stout kind of tastes and feels like a Guinness Draught Lite.
It has the strong bitter, hoppiness of the Draught, but not the heaviness or creamy feel. The head is nice, nutty colored, but not as think and clingy to the glass as the Draught.
The color is dark and opaque, but not as "soft" opaque as the Draught, if that makes sense.
It's a shame I must compare it to the Draught. If I'd never had it, I probably would make the Stout my favorite thus far. It's complex and rich enough to blow the American macros away. But just a bit too bitter and not as sweet with a bit of an aftertaste that might keep it from being a regular for me.

3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz. bottle. Product of Canada. Poured into a Guinness Extra Stout pint glass.
It poured a dark brown - almost black - with a tan head.
The smell was thin. Not too bad, but weak. There were hints of burnt coffee - emphasis on burnt - and a tinge of alcohol in the nose.
The first sip had a robust kick of chocolate and coffee. But, starting with the second sip and every one after that, it seemed to grow weaker and more watery. It tastes like burnt dark coffee, a bad of chocolate and a raisin-like fruit essence far in the background. It left a bitter impression with just a touch of sweetness. It was not a complex taste - fairly simple.
Overall it was not bad, but nothing great. The growing market and production seems to have taken a toll on it over the years. It is not as balanced as I remember it being awhile back.
It is easily available, but there ae better craft examples of this style now.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.