Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,710 | Reviews: 1,314
3.42/5  rDev -7.8%

Dark and smoky, light cannot penetrate its depths...
one of the best mass produced brews out there, one of the most respected brews out there, just gotta have one every once in awhile.
Can't drink a lot of it at a time which is fine. Something of this magnitude should not be rushed through anyway.
Dark chocolate and dark coffee flavors.
Did I mention that light can't penetrate its depths?
A toast to Guinness.

3.21/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours a slightyly watery dark color. The general appearance is the best thing about this beer. Not as thick as one would hope. A descent off-white head forms but does not last very long. The smell and taste are rather average. With so many other great stouts out there, I would not recommend searching this one out. However, when the pickings are slim give it a go.

3.37/5  rDev -9.2%

This beer pours a dark reddish brown. The head is thick and creamy. It is tan. It fades slowly leaving thick laces all over the glass. It smells of roasted malt and hints of coffee. Taste is mild. Not too aggressive. It tastes malty with a slight sweetness to it. It is slightly bitter. Coffee flavor is slight. There is a slightly metalic taste to it, but not too bad. It is just a little over carbonated. It goes down smooth leaving a malty taste on the palate. This beer would make a good session beer due to its lower alcohol content and its non aggressive flavors. This beer will probably not frequent my refrigerator because there are so many better beers out there. Don't waste your time on this one.

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this beer after having a bad expirience with Guinness Draught at a restaurant. Extra Stout is almost black in color; head is large, tan, and fairly creamy. Aroma is roasted, similar to coffee. A light sweetness is also detected. Taste is also similar to roasted coffee, but this is probably a little too bitter for me to love. There is a light sweetness here, especially in the dry finish, but not enough to make this great in my book. Drinkability is pretty good, but I think polishing off a six pack might be a little much. This is my first Irish Dry Stout, I need a few more to have a better picture of the style.

2.96/5  rDev -20.2%

looks liek you expect, big head with hold, black nectar.

smell is fruittier than i remember of the regular stuff. Almost raspberry. ok smelling but not what i was expecting.

taste is pretty dry, not really taking me off into orbit. some of the good dark taste is there, but masked with not so much a bitterness as a funny twang (sourness) that is biting me in the back of the throat.

feels ok in the mouth, but as it is try, it is pretty thin too. is it drinkable, well; sorta. Not for me though. Give me the regular guinness please.

4.11/5  rDev +10.8%

I feel as if this is an often overlooked and underrated beer. While not the FES from St. James Gate, its a very solid dry stout, far more tasty than the draught version that's pulled with nitro. Pours jet black with a small tan head. Smell is of roasted malt and a bit of hops. Taste is slightly sweet in the beginning with a nice biting dryness and a nice bitter chocolate and hop finish. Definite notes of bitter chocolate and roasted malts here. Slightly sweet and creamy up front and dry and bitter in the finish makes for a very interesting and pleasing beer. I feel as though most people overlook this beer in lieu of craft brewed oatmeal and imperial stouts, but I feel as though this is an all-time classic that can hold its own against just about anything out there.

Respect beer indeed!

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Standard 341ml brown bottle, neck label is the only place it admits to being brewed under license by Labatt Brewing Co.
Pours black, hardly any light can sneak through, with a nice brown head a couple inches high. Too bad the foam doesn't last for long but it leaves small traces along the glass. Smells roasted, almost burnt malt, also some coffee-like notes. Taste is full, with coffee taste (same as its aroma), and some bitterness. Need to sip, but could have a few over the evening. Thicker, more body and flavor than Guinness Draught.

3.86/5  rDev +4%

Traded a grilled cheese sandwich for this bottle. Not a bad deal.

Appearance - Black as fudge. I'm pretty sure its gravity is so high that light bends into it. There's a nice brown head that forms and can get out of hand if you pour even slightly fast. It doesn't stick around for long but it leaves traces along the glass as it is consumed.

Smell - Smells roasted, which I can attribute to the malts. There's also a faint metallic smell that's not really that offensive or anything, but it's there. Not sure what this would be caused by.

Taste - Sweet tasting. Very thick, unlike the watery Guinness Draught. Light carbonation spices things up. A decent amount of bitterness brings it all home. The mouthfeel is lacking just slightly while still being above average. There's still that nagging metallic, coppery characteristic that lingers after a sip.

Drinkability - Certainly good to quaff. I wouldn't sit down with it on a regular basis, as there are better stouts out there. For a macro stout, however, this must be the best, superior to the bland Draught. Recommended, w00t!

3.6/5  rDev -3%

Pours a dark, slightly reddish brown with a 1 1/2 inch head. The head eventually shrank to about a quarter of an inch and stayed there for the remainder of the drink. It's not quite as beautiful to look at as Guinness Draught, but it has a nice appearance all the same. Smell is of coffee and dark malt. The mouthfeel is about on par with most stouts in terms of thickness, but the carbonation was a little much. The taste is very bitter, and the roasted malts really come through. The Extra Stout is like Guinness Draught's evil twin brother. The Draught is smooth and creamy, while the Extra Stout has a much more substantial bite to it. I think the bitterness is a little over-the-top, but Extra Stout wins some points for having character to it. It's not a beer that I would want to drink all night, but it could make a nice change-of-pace brew.

2.88/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a very dark brown, almost black with just a little light around the edges. A fluffy, dark tan 2" head develops that is, as usual, slow to drop, but leaves little lacing. The bubbles are noticeably larger than in the tap-drawn version.
Smell is roasted malt, oak, caramel, toffee & coffee.
Taste is heavy on the coffee and roasted, almost burnt, malt flavors. Hoppier than one would expect. Not well balanced.
Mouthfeel is thinner than on-tap, almost watery for a stout, medium-bodied. Feels like a brown ale trying to masquerade as a stout.
Drinkability is pretty low. Stick to the tap version for this brew. The balance and flavor are better and better balanced. Mouthfeel is chewier as well. The foremost stout in name is just middle-of-the-road in the glass, at least when it comes from a bottle.

4.1/5  rDev +10.5%

A better offering from St. James Gate IMO at least insofar as what's available in the states.

Poured a 12oz. black bottle into a British Imperial Pint Glass and it formed a think 1.5 finger beige head that lasted the enitre duration of the sample. Almost no carbonation present.

Smell is of toffee, coffee, caramel, and the taste substanciates this smell. More so than its canned draught widget cousin, this beer has a chocolatey toffee like character much like chocolate stouts.

Thick on the palate but not murky. Easy to swallow and enjoyable all around. A easy beer to drink and to cook with.

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

This is for the Labatt-brewed version with 5% ABV.

Pours a big tan head with a good amount remaining for quite a while, then the lace completing it all. The brew itself is the real dark brown-red that would pass for black. Yep, it's a stout.

Smell a bit of the celery and grass, some coffee, nice and roasted.

The mouthfeel is heavy-ish and smooth, but not thick like the nitro-can or the tap variations. Not overly carbonated, just as much as expected for a stout. It coats the tongue.

Taste is at first a nice sweetness, with the roasted malt topped off with a bitter, hopped metallic finish. I find a trace of alcohol even in this 5% version. My big complaint is that the finish becomes strangely unusual after the beer warms, much more harsh and off-putting. It shouldn't, obviously.

As far as Guinness goes, I enjoy this bottled Guinness better than the nitro-can. I haven't had it on tap in ages, so it's not fair to compare in that area. I like it, but I don't think this is the best stout.

3.91/5  rDev +5.4%

I remember being at the bar...claiming to be an Irish guy and never having had tried Guinness. So I ordered one.... YUCK.... but man I gotta suck it up.... I gotta like this stuff I am Irish! So I force fed it to myself for a few weeks. Then I acquired the taste, and could not get wnough of this stuff. I then sat my brother down ordered him a Guinness and shoved it down his throat for a few weeks and he as well became a Guinness lover. It is hard to just drink Guinness all night but is a great Started beer and oh the enjoyment watching a Guinness Settle.... oh the frothy first sip! Damn I am thirsty

3.59/5  rDev -3.2%

Black as back of a cave. Poured from the 1 pint 6 ox bottle it flashed deep ruby at edge of my glass. Its 3/4" brownish tan head fell quickly leaving some lace and persistant rings on side marking each level as I drank. Faint aroma of roasted malt. taste gets stronger as this stout warms and I detect something metalic. Drinkale and went well with my pot of chilli and hot corn bread.

2.84/5  rDev -23.5%

Guinness used to be a standard order for me in the years before I discovered the world of craft beers. Dining at a restaurant recently with a very limited beer selection, I decided it was time to try it again...

It arrived in a nitro-can, which I was happy to find provided a decent tan creamy head on top of the cloudy chocolate brown stout. Those classic tiny bubbles were definitely present. The aroma... much more mild than other stouts I've had recently... a very mild coffee and toast smell. It had a very smooth mouthfeel, surprisingly similar to what I'd get out of a tap. The taste however was watery to me. Nice flavors of coffee, toffee and toasted nuts, but all very mild. I guess I've been drinking much more flavorful, concentrated stouts lately. The pint went down almost too easy. Still a good brew, but nothing in it to knock my socks off.

4.03/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle. The appearance is beautiful! Black with ruby edges and a large brown head. I can smell dark roasted malts and coffee. Medium bodied with a dry finish. Coffee and roasted malts make up most of the flavor. There is a strong hop flavor that last from start to finish as feel. Has kind of smoky aftertaste. This is very fine Irish stout I can say. Still one of the best.

4.8/5  rDev +29.4%

Guinness for Strength! What a great beer. Let's face it - Guinness has set the standard for dark beers worldwide. Without Guinness, many people would never drink anything darker than a pilsner.

I've had Guinness on four different continents... not bad for a beer that is dark as night.

The beer poured a deep black color, but not completely opaque. There was a bit of light shining through the bottom and sides of the glass.

Wonderful aroma of roasted malts and fruity esters, and just a hint of hops too.

What balance - nice roasted malt flavor coming through with a decent amount of bittering hops. 6.00% by volume? That's definitely a strong and robust beer for an Irish Style Stout.

This beer was thin to medium-bodied, and left me wanting more. Ok, I think I'll have another.

2.76/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours the colour of Dark Chocolate with a bubbly, two finger tan head. The head dropped down to a thin layer, but left sticky lacing all around.

I can't find much smell from this beer. Maybe I've recently been trying more aromatic brews, but this one seems damn close to odorless. I can detect a faint bitter coffee smell if I try hard enough.

For taste.... not good. Hard to describe right now, but I am starting to wonder if this is a bad bottle. Almost a sour flavour to start, and it leaves the taste of dust in my mouth.

The mouthfeel is decent. Somewhat creamy, bit on the high side of carbonation.

I can't finish this bottle. The taste is near making me gag. I have one more chilling, so I shall soon see(and edit this review) if this is just a bad bottle.

Edit: Well, the next bottle was better, but I don't think I'll ever be a real fan of this beer. I don't find enough flavour up front to balance the dry finish. I knocked up a couple of the scores in the end.

4.23/5  rDev +14%

Guinness Stout? On tap? Well, this is something that I just need to try.

And my god is it tasty.

The best-looking Guinness I ever bought. Much more opaque than usual, still the same fine, perfect head.

Smells kind of faint like roasted malts. Coffee and chocolate all burnt and sweetened. This is good, but too faint.

Tastes great. The burnt coffee bean taste of Guinness, along with a fine chocolate maltiness. In the back, and this is the kicker, is a very nice kiss of roasted hops. The bitter taste in leaves in your mouth is divine.

2.82/5  rDev -24%

Pours with a two-finger light brown head that is thick and frothy leaving a ton of lace. Totally black color. Light-medium carbonation and heavy bodied. Nose is barely there can't get anything distinguishable. Starts with a strong roasted, almost burnt coffee flavor and finishes slightly bitter with a lingering aftertaste, goes good with dry peanuts.

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance: Deep black appearance, until you hold up to the light, and then you get a nice ruby tinting. Not a big head, but rather a nice pancake of tan foam across the top.

Aroma: Sharp roasted grain aroma, slightly coffeeish.

Flavor: Roasted, almost-but-not-quite burnt malt flavor. Sweetness is balanced more from malts than from any detectable hop bitterness. Finish is astringent, dry, and lingering.

Body: Grainy mouthfeel, full bodied, average carbonation.

A world classic. I don't drink too much of it anymore, and there are many bolder beers out there today, but there are no real flaws here. Just, a very good beer.

Ok I admit it. I am of Irish heritage so I LOVE my Guinness, no matter what version. The Extra Stout is definitely their most flavorful version. It pours as black as any Guinness should and has a nice rocky tan head that leaves a ton of lace behind. Can you say beautiful? I did, so anyway it has a nice clean aroma, a touch of sweetness from the unmalted barley and some faint coffee like aromas make it really irresistable. The flavor is a bit more extreme, a nice sweet beginning that follows with a decent bitterness from the dark malts that almost overpower the experience. I probably shouldn't give it all 5's, but it is Guinness.

3.98/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance – This one was beautiful right out of the bottle. It poured a dark brown in color with a full, heavily-tanned puffy head. The foam showed a lot of retention as it laced the inside of my glass on its way down.

Smell – The rich, roasted malts are very subtle here at the nose. I can pick up some good brown sugar as well. The aroma here is simple yet very pleasing.

Taste – The roasted malts come out sharp and raw at the taste. They are very bitter and need every grain of the sweet brown sugar compliment. The beer has an overall coffee flavor to it that’s very enticing.

Mouthfeel – This medium-bodied Stout has some bitter black burnt flavors with some good dryness in back of the tongue. I would have liked to have seen a bit more body to go along with the huge flavors, but overall the mouthfeel was good.

Drinkability – It isn’t the most balanced Stout on the market, but it is raw and edgy and a great effort from such a high-volume brewery

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

Serving Type: 330ml brown bottle

Pour: Tan head 9appears to be the same colour as the background on the bottle label. Good retention and no real lacing at all.

Appearance: Black and completely opaque.

Smell: Earthy peat smell also has a hint of oak

Flavour: Full flavours of peat, coffee and the slightest hint of dark and very bitter chocolate. Good chewy mouthfeel with a bitter aftertaste in the back of the throat.

Overall: A nice drinkable stout, not overly heavy and very enjoyable.

3.09/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured into my beer mug, this beer was very dark, almost black. Attractive head that remained almost till the end. Left a nice lacing on the edge of the glass as I drank. Has a weak, sweet smell that I found a little unpleasant. Roasted malt flavor with a bitter finish. Creamy mouthfeel with little noticable alcohol. The smouth mouthfeel and mild taste give beer a high drinkability

Overall, a decent stout but not remarkable.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.