Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

341ml bottle sample from my girlfriend's uncle. This one has been contract brewed by Labatt's in Toronto, which explains the Canadian Industry Standard size bottle.

Pours thin and completely opaque with a 1/2 inch tan head that subsides to a bit of lace and sticks around. Medium/high carbonation in evidence. Tasty looking stout, but the nose is less appealing. A little metallic off the top (but that mellows as the beer warms), alcohol, some sweet roasted maltiness underneath, chocolate. Acidic sourness in the nose as well.

Taste is surprisingly full if you're used to regular Guinness Draught. Nutty, lots of roasted malt, lemonlike acidity all over the palate, and if you really try there's a little bit of fruitiness as well. Finishes appropriately bitter, in that typical Guinness way. Mouthfeel is much fuller but less creamy than the Draught version, extremely dry and carbonation isn't overbearing. This one isn't as full bodied or flavourful as a lot of stouts I've had, but nonetheless a very respectable product from the true originals of the style, and drinkable in quantity. You can feel the history of the beer in every sip, and this may be the only Guinness I'd give time to in the future.

2.12/5  rDev -42.7%

A- A nice smooth color, just a shade lighter than black, with a two finger foamy tan head. A classic looking Irish dry stout.

S- Bland hops presence. The malts smell sub-par. Dry smell, as thin as a sheet of paper.

T- I'm probably used to much bigger stouts, this hardly tastes stout-like at all. Taste is very thin, sharp hops with some toasted bread malt taste. This is surprisingly hoppy. Where are the sweet creamy malts?

M- Very bubbly, there is a lot of carbonation in this. Incredibly thin body, not very smooth but it coasts your mouth pretty well after swirling it around a bit.

D- Average, very average. There is absolutely no reason why I would ever drink this again. I've never liked any Guinness products, but I've heard people say how much better extra stout is. Gimmie a break, this is no stout, I don't care what the Irish say. Guinness sucks, and real stout drinkers don't drink this swill.

2.3/5  rDev -37.8%

I ask the question? Is there anything more mesmerizing than watching a Guinness settle, I didn't think so. The beer is black color with hint of a brown and red along the sides of the glass. A creamy thick head, tan to light beige in color, settles at quarter inch high and not going anywhere. A chocolaty aroma at first scent, then a mild bread fragrance with a slight grassy scent at the end. A strong dark bread flavor, along with heavy malt flavors. Those flavors blend to mild chocolate taste, then moving to a mild citrus bitterness, with a touch of pine, those last flavors linger on the palate for some time. Though it looks thick, mostly due to the head, it has rather a thin watery feel at the front. It does gain some weight as it reaches the back of the throat, leaving the palate fairly dry. This is a visually stunning and beautiful beer, the aroma and flavor are very lackluster and the feel reminds me of a macro brew, with out the strong carbonation. Though this beer is in many ways is supposed to be the standard it falls short.

3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours into a pint glass ruby brown with a solid frothy finger of khaki head. Moderate retention and solid lacing.

Aroma is nutty and roasted malts. Coffee and brown sugar are prevalent. Slightly grainy.

Flavor is very roasty and grainy. Mild astringency. Dry sourness, hints of coffee and dark fruit.

Somewhat thin body with low-moderate carbonation. Very slick, oily mouthfeel, unlike the creaminess that is to be expected from the style.

Meh, it's better than Guinness Draught, but it's average at best. If you're already a Guinness fan, you'll probably like it, but otherwise pass.

3.91/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a deep black color with a huge thick tan head and some good lacing. Aroma is of roasted malt, a little fruit, and a little chocolate. Nothing too strong in the nose. Taste is more of the same in the nose only stronger. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy but finishes very nice (hence the style I suppose). A very solid stout in my opinion and it is available almost everywhere around here.

3.06/5  rDev -17.3%

Dark black like cola. Relatively still but with visible bubbles. Mocha colored foam on the head. Traditional beer nose of malt and gentle hops, nothing out of the ordinary. A little bite at the attack a bold flavor of roasted malt that finishes dry. Hints of grain in the flavor that are reminiscent of hay. Bitter aftertaste. It is tough to draw back enough and be truly objective with "Guiness" on the label, but this had some good flavors that got "undone" by the haylike flavor. I didn't care for hay flavor in my beer. Other than that it was okay.

4.27/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours pitch black with a dark tan head - some retention and lacing.

Smells of dark fruit - plumb, raisin - roasted barley, and caramel malt. Also some nice coffee notes.

Raisin hits the side of the mouth then a nice sting from the carbonation clears the way for caramel malt flavor, finishes dry with bitter coffee notes. This is an excellent stout.

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

Thank goodness for good old Guinness. It is typically attainable at nearly any bar. Even the hole in the wall types. This factor has developed my love for this beer.

The pour throws some thick black stuff my way. My fellow shooters said it looks like oil as they sipped their Bud Lights. It produces a nice tan head and leaves behind some serious, real true lace. Quite a nice looking glass of stuff if I do say so meself! I am unable to assess the carbonation factor as this is a typical nebulous stout. I am surely approving of the get up it has going on.

The nose is dark with a slightly ashy undertone. Roasted. Creamy. I can detect the hop presence. As it warms it almost seems to promote a dark fruit scent. Although quite slight, there is a touch of black cherry and maybe some raisin qualities. The roast malty richness dominates by far. It smells hearty.

The taste is spot on. Dark and rich. Not too much to get a grip on however. It is nicely bittered. A bit creamy. Again the ashy aspect comes through with some chalky character as well. Overall light. This plays into the drinkability aspect of the thing. Many a man will turn his face from this beer. I do remember my first time with this one and I met it with similar displeasure. Ah, how things change. This is an old faithful now in these times of poor selection at the bars in my area. I have been loving it up all night already you see. This particular reviewed sample is simply the icing on the cake that I have been glutonously embibing this evening. You cannot go wrong here if you are pure of heart and I know you are, me fellows and lasses.

Mouthfeel is thicker than the average. That being said this is not an imperial creation by any stretch. It is a great any time stout. If you are a fan of the style you will certainly be able to appreciate the beauty of this brew. I wish our national beer was this as opposed to the lager. It makes me feel ashamed in a way. God bless the poor bastards who drift through life without ever realizing the potential of beer.

Drinkability is top notch to this old boy. Hell, I am knee deep in them now and I am thinking of heading to the groc to snag some more. That is the beauty of Guinness. You can get it at the groc without fail. Somehow people still gravitate toward the common place swills. We as a country are so behind the times. Commercialism swallows up every bit of taste we have. It is time for the revolution! No more mundane beverages! As you can well see I am perfectly pleased with my selection for the eve! Three cheers to the Irish and their macro! We should be ashamed and I know most of us are. Good beer!

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

bought at world market in lansing, michigan.
pours black with a beige head that has dropped in to a thin sheet.
the aroma malty, roasty, hint of plum.
the flavor is roasty, coffee, bitter, hop spice, malt, chocolate.
the mouthfeel is what i would expect from a guinness.
beer is very drinkable, enjoyed best on a cool night.

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

3.89/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured into pint glass

A: Beautiful darkness, light one finger tan head that dissipated and left lacing. Good looking brew.

S: Nose not terribly strong, toasted notes on the nose.

T & M: Taste is toasty and smooth, with a nice level of bitterness. This is a fine stout. I enjoyed this beer more than the regular Guinness in that it does have a small amount of bitterness.

D: Highly drinkable, I could drink several despite the high ABV.

3.16/5  rDev -14.6%

3.26/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours black into the glass with a finger sized amount of head, carbonation clings to the glass if you tip it, but the stout itself does not. It has a very grainy scent, but nothing remarkable.

In the mouth a medium bitter slightly coffee tinged tang hits you, as well as the carbonation. Unlike most stouts it feels very light in the mouth, watery in comparison to the micros I'm used to drinking.

Quite a solid score in the drinkability category for a stout though, the light mouthfeel and easy drinking nature makes this one of the few stouts I'd consider a 'session' beer.

Overall nothing spectacular though, Guinness has a reputation mainly because people aren't aware of the vast world of other stouts that exist. Not to say that the beer is bad by any stretch, but it's far from the best as well.

3.66/5  rDev -1.1%

Stubby 12oz into a Pint Glass

A- Dark brown with a real fluffy 2 finger tan head that leaves pretty good lacing.

S- Roasted malts hit you up front and a slight burnt smell. Maby caramel or coffee. Not to much else with this one. For some reason as it really warmed it kind of smelt like whiskey haha. Probably just me.

T- Sweet roasted malts with a slight hoppy backround suprisingly, and a little bit of a burnt taste but it blends in well and kind of adds to it.

M- Medium body with average carbonation and a good amount of bitter to wrap it up. Also a bit dry but not bad.

Overall I would definitely choose this beer over the regular draught anyday. If your a guinness fan this beer's a must try.

Skål!

2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

So I had an oatmeal stout for breakfast the other day, fairly enjoyable. Today the wife wakes up and is all jazzed to try another 'stout' for breakfast. Well, who the hell am I to argue? Pour it already! We have some other stouts with good reps laying around, but the Guinness is refridgerated and that's what she wants. Again, who the hell am I to argue? Pour it already!

Pours dark as night, no sunlight crosses this tar pit.

I'm having real trouble smelling anything. Very, very faint. Like catching a whiff of coffee from the Denny's across the street.

The taste is, well...disappointing. I expected a big mouthfull of something. There's just not much here. I try and try but only the tiniest flavor of coffee comes through.

It's just an alright beer for me. Nothing special at all. It's warmed up a bit and still nothing special. I could drink more of them, but I won't. Bigger and better things await...

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

4.08/5  rDev +10.3%

A proper Guinness is never wrong at any given moment, and the bottled version of this I got on my local pub was very good.

I think that this is a bit tastier than the regular Guinness Draught 4,2 ABV. But still I would very much like to try this on tap and not in a bottle.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.