Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,271 | Hads: 3,735
3.82/5  rDev +3.2%

This stuff is excellent. Served from the bottle, poured into a tulip glass.

A- Black as Draught Guinness, minus the cascading bubbles and the subsequent head. Head was in fact very thin, thinner than I would expect, and dissapated (sp) quickly.

S- Chocolaty and malty, very strong chocolate tones.

T- For anyone used to the Draught version, you're in for a suprise. As an extra stout this stuff lacks the carbonation, and as such the stout tastes comes through better. Bakers chocolate and light amount of coffee come to mind... a slight alkaline feeling as it goes down, but excellent stuff for sure.

M- Thick. So thick. I recommend trying this on vanilla ice cream: delicious!

D- Dinner? No thanks, just had one. Seriously though, I'd be hard pressed to drink more than two in a night, owing to the thickness of this fine stout. (835 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

FWIW, this is a definite improvement over Guinness draught.

Keep in mind I'm a noobie and this is my first beer review.

It pours a nice dark black, with slight amber/reddish hints in the light. The smell is sweeter than the actual taste. I tasted some sour/bitterness with slight burnt flavors. It seems to have just missed the sweet spot which is a shame. Though, I still prefer it over the draught beer they offer. Mouthfeel, was pretty good, again better than the draught. When it comes to drinkability, it's no worse than the draught, and I usually take my time with stouts anyways. (592 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +26.2%

An excellent choice with a hearty meal like stew or well, hell anything Irish. Drink suprisingly easy considering how stout it is. Not as dark as Draught but still very dark in color and rich in its malty flavors. Good to drink out of a bottle or in a glass but best if you can find a place that has it on tap. (310 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance - Dark chocolate brown with a creamy tan/sienna head. As I drank it it left one of the nicest Lacings I've seen in a long time.

Smell - Faintly bitter barley smell at first later accompanied by a roasty coffee-like aroma.

Taste - The two most predominent tastes up front are bitterness and less obvious hints of sweetness. (Coffee-like)

Mouthfeel - Creamy and very smooth. Perfect amount of carbonation. However it leaves a bit of dryness afterwards.

Drinkability - Very smooth and quite tasty, I could easily drink 2 mabye even 3 in one sitting. (562 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance- Is a dark brown color, has a small head that is a tanish cream

Smell- Smell of coffee and caramel

Taste- Taste coffee with chocolate and caramel

Mouthfeel- Has a full body goes down smooth

Drinkability- This beer is pretty good would drink it again, not the best stout i ever had but pretty good (311 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -0.3%

I had this in a 22 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Poured a dark, ruby tinged brown with thick tan head that persisted through drinking.

S - Smell of burnt malts; more coffee or char than chocolate or molasses.

T - Lots of burned malt upfront with a lasting, almost sour taste. Not bitter like hops; but a taste I associate with stouts.

M - Smooth, creamy, medium mouthfeel.

D - I really enjoyed this bottle, the ABV is enough to feel but low enough to drink. Carbonation is not an issue for drinking. (514 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +27%

Draft Beer in a Guinness glass of course.

Appearance: Wonderful dark dark brown with creamy cream colored head.

Smell: Don't know...

Taste: Yum!!! Yeah - that's all I got.

Mouthfeel: Creamy goodness!!!

Overall: Currently my favorite beer. I have not found anything that beat the appearance, taste, mouthfeel or overall experience of a Guinness. (352 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

My best experience with Guinness was recently when i got the first pour from a fresh keg. This may color my review but I've always enjoyed this beer. The Pint was very dark with a thick ultra-creamy head; excellent retention. The taste is unusually good for a run of the mill brew with a stout malty coffee flavor with a sweet caramel finish. The mouth-feel was what was remarkable to me, very thick and creamy, I would liken it to a stout milkshake, really satisfying and enjoyable to drink. (492 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +20.5%

Everything about this beer speaks volumes. From the milky white head, to the darkness of the body. I good beer to have with a meal or just to sip on. A step up from Murphy's, Guinness is the standard for stouts. If you can't get it draught, don't bother. And don't try downing it, it is not a downing beer. It will come back up on you, treat it with respect. (358 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -24.3%

this has a metallic ...artificially created ....like not chocolate...not malt...just ...kinda plain,,,i am not fond...this beer is overrated...
nice black color though....lame bubbly head like it has soap in it...blaugh...i just think its popularity ruins it,,,,chances are when the majority talks about a beer being good that it usually isnt all its cracked up to be...not a stout that lives up to my standard... (414 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +30.3%

Poured it into a clean room temperature beer glass and it did not have a large head. The head was a nice creamy Carmel color and left a lacey ring around the glass with each sip. The beer itself was very dark almost black and I could not see through it at all. Very rich looking. It had a nice wisp when the bottle was opened but I could not see carbonation in the glass.

It smelled of a roasted nut with a hint chocolate and coffee. I’m still new to this so my palate vocabulary is still growing and being refined.

The taste was much like the smell and I found myself sipping it much like I would a cup of coffee or coco. Very rich with flavor and kind of heavy but I liked it so well I have bought it several times. I’m on a quest now to try many other types of dark stouts. (780 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +28.6%

6 pack purchased 10/2/2010 in Easthampton, MA.

Appearance- used 30 weight motor oil. slightly tan 1 finger head on a mild pour. When held up to light, slight red hues show though.

Smell- not extremely strong. i pick up sherry, cocoa, and roasted coffee undertones.

Taste- Creamy, very dark coffee & roasted flavors. Almost as good as the foreign extra stout, but simply missing something.

Mouthfeel- Creamy, but not too thick.

Drinkability- All night.

I know this isn't a very descriptive writeup- I usually try to be very descriptive and accurate, but Guinness Extra is just one of those beers that kind of speaks for itself. Leagues better than draught, Not as good as Foreign Extra Stout. Fantastic beer despite it's commercialization. Always in my fridge. (766 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

a great dark beer, when i was younger, we would go to canada to drink at 19 and we would take this as our first beer at the casino (free parking) and the drinks were a little cheaper than patrick o'ryans, which is a great irish pub. too bad it's in canada. anyways, i would definitely recommend this beer to anyone. you have to atleast try one. This is probably most peoples first dark beer and a good choice at that (416 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Today was a head-to-head between Guinness Extra Stout, G. Draught, and Murphy's Stout.

A: Pours dark; head disappears more quickly than Guinness Draught or Murphy's Stout. Golden raisin tint on edges. Nice lacing and sand-colored clusters remain.

S: Sharp. Grassy, meadow. Hops & barley. Not much more, other than a "white wine" scent that I'd never experienced with other stouts. Expect a bigger punch than Draught or Murphy's, just from the scent.

T: Starker than Draught, but also possessing some of the guts missing from Draught. Grainy, barley. Earthy. Roasted, burnt. Bitter but not too bad. Again, wine-like. Want to like it better than Draught (b/c Draught is so wimpy); but I honestly don't.

M: Medium to full body... Slightly skunky after-taste.

O: Nothing special, nothing bad. Although I hate the over-used saying, it applies: "It is what it is..."

Repeat? Oddly enough, though it's better than G-Draught or Murphy's, it's not nearly as good as other, more complex stouts; and it's not as quaffable (if you're looking for a pound-fest) as Draught or Murphy's. So while I'll always have some on offer for friends (given that it's a staple for many), it's unlikely I'd yearn to reach for another... Too many others out there that are better.

Two Words? Guinness. Period. (meaning it's a standard -- offering nothing special, no drawbacks) (1,357 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +5.7%

a beautiful beer! pitch black darkness not a hint of light passing though it. The head was a thick muddy brown shaving cream mound, that slowly withered away to something that reminded me of a root beer float. thickness dude. smelled of a earthy musty maltiness and tasted so rich and roasty, I think I was catching a bit of bitter hop twinge on my tongue too. finished with a warm roasty feeling. I would recommend enjoying a few of them slowly, any time!

cheers (466 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -24.1%

A- very dark black with a creamy rich tall head. it reduced slowly as i drank and left a good lacing

S- the smell is initially good. there are pleasant hints of caramel and malt, followed by roasted malts. but after these smells fade, i felt it was missing something, there wasnt an after smell that i was craving after the build up in the beginning.

T- roasted malts overpower. i taste a coffee aftertaste. the taste isnt layered enough so it did not satisfy. what i mentioned before were the only flavors i could find-- its two-note-- and not tasty enough

M- okay mouthfeel, no real complaints. im not really impressed though... the body was too light for the style in my opinion

D- i dont want to drink any more. the experience was not a good one.

the things i do for beer advocate (789 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance:
This beer came in a 1 pint 6 fl oz. bottle. After pouring this beer into a clear glass, I noticed that it had a rich very dark brown coulor and a good four finger head which was nice and fluffy.

Aroma:
Dark hops and baking bread like aroma.

Palate:
Nicely carbonated, with nice mouthfeel.

Flavour:
Caramel and coffee are two definantly noticable flavor with a balance of sweet clover and some light floral notes. Classic Guinness Flavour! You will either love it or hate it.

Overall:
A classic Irish Stout, I love dark coffee, so I love this beer! I love to pair this with a good meat and potatoes meal. Very good with beef. I will continue to support this beer and will have this again! (704 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Guinness pint glass: Pour Black with brown bottom when held to light. Long lasting thick foam.

S: Roasted Malts, nutty, coffee. Not very potent though.

T: Bitter, with a sour black coffee aftertaste. It takes getting used to, once you are it's great!

M: Good Carbonation, smooth & thick.

D: Great way to end the night. (322 characters)

Guiness extra stout pours a very dark brown virtually black color.

The apperance is of a appealing dark Irish stout.

This is a thick and hardy beer. Plesant and complex roasted malt and coffee aroma and taste.

I enjoy drinking this beer. I have to give it props because it started my fascination for trying other beers other than your typical mainsteam lagers. (366 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Room temp
Bottle to pint glass

Appearance: As I poured the brew came out very smoothly allowing for a nice soft pour, even still once I began pouring down the middle of the glass the almond colored medium density head began to build immediately so much that I had to slow my pour lest I overflow the glass, when I was finished the head was nearly 2 fingers, but faded to about ¼ inch leaving a medium lace that clings to the side.

Smell: I smelled a very strong dark or chocolate malts, there was some caramel sweetness but it was hidden, what I noticed the most was the heavy spice of the hops. The hops was fairly strong but not completely overbearing, I noticed what seemed like another spice in there as well but it might have been just a very heavy hop. I did not smell any alcohol in the brew.

Taste: I really didn't notice much of the sweetness that I smelled initially, there was a very robust malt taste that competed with the bitterness of the hops. The level of bitterness was not offensive in fact it seemed well balanced, but the bitterness held throughout and seems the one constant in this brew, even as I write this almost 15 minutes after finishing I can still feel and taste some of the bitterness in my mouth. There seemed to be some very rich licorice taste which was probably a mixture between the malts and the hops. This is certainly a full bodied brew, but there is a spice in the taste that I simply cannot put my finger on. I also did not notice any alcohol taste.

Mouthfeel: This stout has a thick feel to it but certainly not tarish. The carbonation is about medium as it fizzes on my lips and tongue. There is also a thin layer of diacetyl that is left at finish, but once gone the Extra Stout leaves the mouth dry.

Drinkability: This is where I think this brew suffers, the complexity of this brew means that it is really in my opinion an acquired taste. I cannot honestly say that this stout went down easy, and with the residual bitterness in my mouth now 20 minutes later I don't know if I would want that on a regular basis. (2,064 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

To me, this is Guinness's perfect brew: not as dry as the Draught, nor as hoppy as the Foreign Extra, nor as thin as the Black Lager. Pouring a deep brown, there are strong yeasty notes on the dirty foam head, as well as sweet hints of molasses and burnt sugar. On the tongue, the sweetness diminishes as stronger tastes of coffee, bitter chocolate, and mild jerky dance around, carried to the taste buds in a heavy, chewy, satisfying mouthfeel that vanishes quite quickly, leaving a pleasantly soot and grit aftertaste.

By far my favorite Guinness offering and a great introduction to the world of Stouts and Porters, Extra Stout should be drunk with heavy meat dishes, thick hamburgers, or spicy chili. Not really a session beer, it nevertheless works as some great reward for a particularly rough day or a black celebration. Cheers! (837 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +11.4%

you know this beer is very underrated. With all the micro brews out there i never really drink Guinness anymore but this is the one that started it all for me. Story goes first non Lager I ever Drank 18 years ago and I never looked back! Story redux I was at an Italian Restaurant the other day and Guinness was the only non lager they had and you know what?, It was great!! (374 characters)

3.7/5  rDev 0%

350ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a black colour with hints of red/wine. Thin liquid, not nearly as viscous as other Stouts out there. About two fingers of a fluffy off-white head with medium retention. Beautiful thick lacing left on the glass. (4.25)

S: Very strong roasted malts aroma upfront. Hints of honey, brown sugar, roasted coffee grains, hints of dark chocolate, a bit sweet, metallic smell. (3.75)

T: Follows the nose, but the sweetness I noticed in the smell isn't there. Dry, bitter and rich. Honey and roasted malts are dominant. (3.75)

M: Full-bodied, rich, medium carbonation, roasted malts aftertaste. (3.5)

O: The first couple of times I had this, I absolutely loved it. After tasting many other great stouts, I realize this brew isn't as much of a masterpiece as I thought it was. It's still a very good beer, something I would drink whenever. (3.5) (887 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -2.7%

A- Deep brown, with a thin brown head. Looked like a stout should.

S- Nice roasted smell, hint of something sweet and smooth.

T- Enjoyable, but nothing impressive. Roasty caramel/molasses type undertones. Slight acridness of a stout.

M- Smooth, went down very easily. However, there was nothing special about it other than its smoothness.

D- Goes down easy, but it's not something I'd want more than once in an evening.

Overall, an enjoyable beer, but generally overrated. (477 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance: Nearly black with a large head. Looks nice.

Smell: The head is giving me plum. The beer itself presents some coffee mixed in.

Taste: Like coffee made with over-roasted beans. The acrid aftertaste is very similar to black coffee. I don't enjoy it here.

mouthfeel: A bit watery but pretty smooth.

Drinkability: The acridity lowers its drinkability for me, personally, but it isn't difficult to put down.

Overall I would say it is a well-made beer but isn't my cup of tea. (486 characters)

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.