Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

Guinness Ltd. visit their website

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Extra Stout (Original) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,289 | Hads: 3,827
3.65/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Bottle pours a very deep amber brown to black with a small bubbly tan head that faded quickly to a foamy ring.

S: It smells a lot of raisins and coffee along with hints of chocolates and roasted maltiness. It has a bit of a fruity aroma to it.

T: Starts with a real sweet dark licorice and fruitiness that quickly mellows to a more toasted coffee bitterness. Leaves a little bit of a displeasing bitter aftertaste.

M: Mouthfeel is somewhat thin I think for a stout but still decent. A little bit of carbonation helps keep it refreshing, yet still bold and full.

D: I liked the way this beer started, with a nice appearance, flavorfull smell, and even taste at first but by the end it seemed overly bitter and hard to enjoy. Could be me, I'll probably want to give it another try in the future though.

3.55/5  rDev -4.1%

A: pours a black color with a brown head that goes quickly but leaves some lacing

S: Malty with some notes of chocolate, dark malts, bready

T: Nothing to write home about at first but then evolves into a smoky dark flavor that further evolves into something along the lines of a dark chocolate

M: Medium thickness slightly coating your mouth and leaves a lingering taste

D: Very good drinkability and very complex worthy of more than one per session.

3.2/5  rDev -13.5%

I have a love hate relationship with Guinness. I love the smell, the mouthfeel, the appearance. Absolutely love the aforementioned. Then we get to the taste... Horrible. I hate it, it is extremely bitter to my pallet. I can drink it, and if there is nothing else on tap, as in it is literally the only thing available, I would drink nothing... I want to love it, I love everything else about it, but its soooo bitter... to me...

4.06/5  rDev +9.7%

For starters I love this stuff, the characteristics are distinctly Guinness and may not apply elsewhere. Thick pour with an instant thick foamy brown head, that dissipates only slightly throughout the experience. Appearance? Somewhere in the neighborhood of Pennzoil 10W-30, use a pint to safely view the next solar eclipse. Very thick mouth feel, leaves residue on the palette, the teeth, hell everywhere…I love it! A little on the gritty side, that’s why they put a filter at the tap. Initially very smooth but gives way to a stale bitter hop. Faint aroma of chocolate. Overall a great beer, but drink slowly. If you don’t like darker beers, don’t even think about trying this one…you’ll hate it.

4.45/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

There are better Stouts but due to actually having Guinness in my blood it is difficult for me to provide a fair review. I am 60 and had my first taste of Guinness at 6. I grew up in a very Irish family and children were not only allowed to have a sip of Guinness but we were encouraged to do so. In the 60's I visited the Guinness Brewery in Dublin. They had no limit on how much you could drink or how long you could stay. Thats why its still running through my veins. Anyhow, here is the review. Short and to the pint, sorry, to the point.
Appearence-Black as an Irish night with a great tan head to dip your nose into. Don't tip your glass when you pour. Just watch it cascade.

Smell-Lovely. Smells like a Guinness! Get some on the floor so the whole room has that Irish odor.

Taste-Yup, lots of it. To me its the original Stout. Sometimes has a coffee taste, some chocolate and a little leather mixed in. Great for that fried egg and bacon breakfast with white toast and real butter.

Mouthfeel-Wonderful. Makes your mouth feel good. Very light and refreshing.

Drinkability-After three pints I begin to hear my Grandmother voice in that deep brogue saying,"another wee one Johnnie?" Try it in a tapered beer glass for the full effect of that lovely head. Even more drinkable then. Every year we get a keg for our annual porch party. Stout stains will give any floor character and actually add value to your home. Enjoy.

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from a bottle (brewed in Canada under licence by Labatt in Halifax) which was warmed out of my fridge for 15 mins. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Poured a very dark amber to black colour. Chunky two inch off white soapy head which dies down relatively quickly. As the head dies down it clings to the side of my glass. Leaves a light dusting of suds on top.

S: Very light yeasty sourdough and rye bread, a small hint of coffee, and alcohal behind everything.

T: Sourdough bread, sweet caramel malt, bitter hops. Nothing special and also not offensive in any way.

M: Watery and light. The carbonation, being light to medium, was the best part about this beer. It gave the beer slight creamy mouthfeel.

D: Drinkable if you're into the flavour profile of this one. At 5% ABV this one is sessionable.

Saw this one on the shelves of my local beer store for a while and decided to give it a go. While it was an alright beer I wouldn't go out of my way to pick up another sixer of it.

4.78/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pour the 1 pint, 6 ounce bottle into your favorite beer mug, and instantly find out why Guinness is a legend. This is really the only Guinness product I will drink on a regular basis, and for good reason--it is by far the best.

Let's start with the head. You can chew on it! Talk about mouthfeel, this beer has a presence about it. The Extra Stout is thick and rich, and it has a texture about it. Lacing all the way down the glass in layered waves of foam. Excellent, and among the best physical characteristics of a beer I have ever seen.

The color is also amazing because it is black. You cannot see through this beer even if you shine a light through it. Many people say it is actually deep amber, but I call it black.

The taste of Extra Stout is surprisingly mellow and smooth for such a bold beer. However, it tastes exactly how it looks: roasted with a heavy, earthy taste to it. Not bitter at all. The flavor masks the alcohol flavor that many other heavy duty beers sometimes have.

I also tend to factor in price, and Extra Stout is among the cheaper 22 ounce selections. This is a fairly economical beer for what it is, and is definitely worth it. There is nothing worse than getting a 8 dollar draft of some obscure beer and struggling to finish it when you can spend less than 3 dollars at 7-11 for this.
This is an outstanding beer. Over the past few years I have drank a lot of dark beer, but Extra Stout is among the best. This beer is balanced and drinkable and has a quality to it that lots of commercial, industrial produced beer does not.

4.12/5  rDev +11.4%

Nothing can match Guinness from a tap. The Draught cans come close. This bottled version is quite different from both tap and the draught cans, but still a very enjoyable beer. Pours nice and dark with a nice tan head. The head stays around for the life of the beer. Smells great, as good as any version of Guinness. The difference is in the feel/taste. This is a lighter, thinner beer than the draught/tap version. I wouldn't say it is more watery, just thinner. Don't expect the same feel/taste as the draught/tap version, you'll be disappointed. While I normally like the thicker draught version, I do sometimes like this version better because it is lighter. For example, a hot summer day at a BBQ - I would rather drink a few bottles of this than the draught can type - not as heavy on you, you can really down these with enjoyment.

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Oh Guinness. Great classic. Nearly completely black and pours with a nice creamy head. It has a creamy smooth taste. I wasn't a fan of the nitro bottles. I really can't wait until i get a chance to go to Ireland in order to try this at the Brewery.

3.46/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured 12 oz bottle into a pilsner (only glass available)
appears completely black with a great fluffy tan head, leaves lacing, looks amazing. Too bad no surge though

Smells and tastes definitely are better than guinness draught. Much more substantial. Very roasted maltiness and barley, get hints of biscuits and nice bitterness on the back end. Surprised i liked this as much as i did.
Mouthfeel is still bad. Watery just like the draught. However the Estouts added flavor amount make up for it. Leaves the prorper dryness
I could imagine drinking a few of these on occation, definitely better than the draught (besides for the appearance)

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

A- slightly opaque black with a 1" thick cream coloured head. Good lacing and head retention.
S- very roasted malt and a slight peat note. Pleasant to the nose.
T- Very smooth and slight hops.
M - this beer feels good in your mouth. It just calls to you....drink more of me.
D- This beer is very easy to drink and you could drink lots of these. I did while in Ireland and it still can give you a hangover. Maybe I will learn someday. I can also see why people would be steered away from this beer because they think it is "heavy" but that is the farthest from the truth. Good beer and I will drink it again.

3.52/5  rDev -4.9%

A strong, robust drink that few women (like myself) enjoy. Almost black-brown in colour, this beer pours a fantastic head and takes a little time to settle. It's a roasty beer with a super creamy mouthfeel. Its bitter, almost coffee-like and leaves a beautiful aftertaste. Its strong and I can only have one as it made me a feel a big full. Definitely a big drink that you can hold on to for a while before ordering the next.

2.46/5  rDev -33.5%

This is a wannabe stout. ABV is low, flavor is weak, aroma is lacking. If it weren't for the color, I wouldn't believe it's a stout. I bought this only because there weren't any other stouts available at the time and I had never tried it so I figured I'd give it a chance. Next time, if this is the only stout available, I'll pass and go for a different style altogether.

4.23/5  rDev +14.3%

This is the one that started it all for me.Up until I tried Guinness,I had just had American beer,like Old Style,Bud,Miller etc...and I never knew what I was missing.After this I tried to find as many "new" beers as I could.No longer my favorite,but it still has a place in my heart.

3.71/5  rDev +0.3%

I've had this many times in many containers. But I feel like reviewing it now. Had it poured from the tap while watching my friends' band, Travesty, at Wouter's in Suamico. (At St. Brendan's Irish Inn in Green Bay, they fashion a shamrock upon the head of the beer.)

The pint glass with the Guinness label was set flat under the tap, as the server poured the rich, airy brew into it. Time magically turned the brown-white foam into beer.

The deep dark brown beer with the thick, resilient head provided me a faint aroma and somewhat surprisingly light (for the visual clues say, "dark.") taste, including the distinct roasted grain.

The mouthfeel is significant, but I noted a bit of a sour finish.

For me, this is a special beer - or should I say, "unique experience," as it carries with it an historic cultural memory.

4.01/5  rDev +8.4%

One of my favorite Stouts I've tried to date. Poured from a Guinness tap into a branded pint glass.

Appearance: Absolutely beautiful to watch, and makes you anticipate what you are about to drink. A very thick 3 finger head, and the very unique waves that cascade down the glass like waves in the ocean. The bubbles flowing downward are very unique also, and a treat for the eyes.

Smell: Roasted malt, a bit of barley, coffee, and a tiny tiny bit of hops.

Taste: The malt comes through at first, and fades into a coffee and caramel flavor. The barley and hops come through very gently at the end to show you they are there, but they take a back seat to the other flavors.

Mouthfeel: thick, but very smooth. It feels substantial, but it doesn't allow the flavors to linger and allow you to meander and explore the beer.

Drinkability: Goes down pretty easy, and is a great beer to enjoy with a meal, especially something good and heavy, like corned beef or something.

Verdict: An Irish favorite, and one of mine also.

3.82/5  rDev +3.2%

In many cases I am not a big fan of beers that become too mainstreamized. Too much expansion normally hurts a beer, but this one is one of the better ones I have had. Not too expensive, good, consistent, and overall a worthy Beer. I would recommend to people you want a decent beer to get the job done.

2.65/5  rDev -28.4%

At 6.0% I was expecting more from this beer. I found it to be much less tasty and thinner than the regular stout. At first smell, I sensed more of a lager or beer smell...not what I was expecting from a stout. If I didn't see the beer, I'd have assumed it to be a lager. I poured it into a Sam Adams glass, and it was immediately apparent that this was a much poorer product. There was no creaminess or full flavor or even full body that I enjoy in their low alcohol regular stout. The flavor was bland...mere hints of roastiness or maltiness in comparison. I got a nice big bottle of it, and finally, decided to pour the last half of it down the drain. I could stomach it no more, especially when I had much better beer in the fridge. I'll stick to the imperial stouts from now on.

3.82/5  rDev +3.2%

This stuff is excellent. Served from the bottle, poured into a tulip glass.

A- Black as Draught Guinness, minus the cascading bubbles and the subsequent head. Head was in fact very thin, thinner than I would expect, and dissapated (sp) quickly.

S- Chocolaty and malty, very strong chocolate tones.

T- For anyone used to the Draught version, you're in for a suprise. As an extra stout this stuff lacks the carbonation, and as such the stout tastes comes through better. Bakers chocolate and light amount of coffee come to mind... a slight alkaline feeling as it goes down, but excellent stuff for sure.

M- Thick. So thick. I recommend trying this on vanilla ice cream: delicious!

D- Dinner? No thanks, just had one. Seriously though, I'd be hard pressed to drink more than two in a night, owing to the thickness of this fine stout.

3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

FWIW, this is a definite improvement over Guinness draught.

Keep in mind I'm a noobie and this is my first beer review.

It pours a nice dark black, with slight amber/reddish hints in the light. The smell is sweeter than the actual taste. I tasted some sour/bitterness with slight burnt flavors. It seems to have just missed the sweet spot which is a shame. Though, I still prefer it over the draught beer they offer. Mouthfeel, was pretty good, again better than the draught. When it comes to drinkability, it's no worse than the draught, and I usually take my time with stouts anyways.

4.67/5  rDev +26.2%

An excellent choice with a hearty meal like stew or well, hell anything Irish. Drink suprisingly easy considering how stout it is. Not as dark as Draught but still very dark in color and rich in its malty flavors. Good to drink out of a bottle or in a glass but best if you can find a place that has it on tap.

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance - Dark chocolate brown with a creamy tan/sienna head. As I drank it it left one of the nicest Lacings I've seen in a long time.

Smell - Faintly bitter barley smell at first later accompanied by a roasty coffee-like aroma.

Taste - The two most predominent tastes up front are bitterness and less obvious hints of sweetness. (Coffee-like)

Mouthfeel - Creamy and very smooth. Perfect amount of carbonation. However it leaves a bit of dryness afterwards.

Drinkability - Very smooth and quite tasty, I could easily drink 2 mabye even 3 in one sitting.

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance- Is a dark brown color, has a small head that is a tanish cream

Smell- Smell of coffee and caramel

Taste- Taste coffee with chocolate and caramel

Mouthfeel- Has a full body goes down smooth

Drinkability- This beer is pretty good would drink it again, not the best stout i ever had but pretty good

3.69/5  rDev -0.3%

I had this in a 22 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Poured a dark, ruby tinged brown with thick tan head that persisted through drinking.

S - Smell of burnt malts; more coffee or char than chocolate or molasses.

T - Lots of burned malt upfront with a lasting, almost sour taste. Not bitter like hops; but a taste I associate with stouts.

M - Smooth, creamy, medium mouthfeel.

D - I really enjoyed this bottle, the ABV is enough to feel but low enough to drink. Carbonation is not an issue for drinking.

4.7/5  rDev +27%

Draft Beer in a Guinness glass of course.

Appearance: Wonderful dark dark brown with creamy cream colored head.

Smell: Don't know...

Taste: Yum!!! Yeah - that's all I got.

Mouthfeel: Creamy goodness!!!

Overall: Currently my favorite beer. I have not found anything that beat the appearance, taste, mouthfeel or overall experience of a Guinness.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.