Guinness Extra Stout (Original) - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Original)Guinness Extra Stout (Original)

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 11-12-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,625 | Reviews: 1,284
3.64/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours extremely dark with a light brown head. Flavor carries a bit of a bitter edge. It's smooth though and carries a nice malty body. No real wacky character. Feel has a full carbonation and a standard liquid feel. Decent to drink, but with so much else out there, I am not overly thrilled.

3.71/5  rDev +0.3%

Oh I can still remember the first time I tried Guinness, and I can still remember the time when I couldn't believe that this dark black almost opaque creation was a beer. This is one beer that took some getting adjusted to for my taste buds, at that point in my road to beerdom sipping on new beers was common ground, and I found appreciation for them all, however the first time I tried Guinness I recall saying I was never going to try it again. Now I would like to point out a crucial fork in the road of my life that if the next time I came across this beer I would have to make the decision to give it another shot or pass it up for good. However, I chose the right road, and that same thinking has made my beer drinking much more exciting and meaningful to me and my friends and family. So, I thank Guinness for being something completely different for most American swill drinkers and thanks to my brother Dante' for nudging my interest in giving this beer another shot. Pours a deep dark practically black ruby brown tone with a massive milk chocolate tan fluffy mountainous head with great retention and very nice scattered evenly fine lacing. Aroma some hop bitterness meshed within mild chocolate tones, freshly ground coffe, and slightly harsh dark roasted barley to form a classic aroma of a dry Irish stout. A sharp upfront slightly acidic tone with some hops adding bitterness and finishing with creamy chocolate tones leaving a dry pleasant but at the same time a palate battering coffee note. Unlike anyother beer style in the world something can be this drinkable with a fuller mouthfeel and so many flavors that don't belong in beer, well I am glad I opened my horizons to beer because this is definitely a satisfying treat that I will always be able to come back to. Drinkability well this beer is quite filling however it is made to chill with a few in a session to truly experience I would live to visit Ireland someday namingly St. James Gate in Dublin.

3.54/5  rDev -4.3%

I'll try to not hold it against the fact this is Canadian, we gonna start seeing Molsons from Dublins soon??

Pours mahogany to black with a 3 fingers plus tanhead milkshake like head. Great lacing and good head retention

Smell: Toasted malt & that's it

Taste: Toasted malt, slight fruittiness and iron taste. Some licorice and chocolate notes

MF: Slightly creamy with oily notes. Good carbonation

Pretty drinkable but too heavy to make a session choice. Not bad, but I'm guessing this wouldn't sell near as much here if folks knew it was coming from the emerald isle, caveat emptor. Preferable to the original druaght, but I'd just as soon have an obsidian stout...

First had: nitro-bottle from Joe Canal's, Bellmawr, NJ

Guinness gets better here.

Typical Guinness pour: opaque black cascades into your glass, light tan finger of head that recedes a bit more than you'd expect, and leaves good lacing, but probably not quite as much as the regular Draught. Smooth, heavily roasted malt aroma with some coffee and dark chocolate. Same in the taste: roasty, roasty malts, dark chocolate and cocoa bitterness, coffee, and little to no hops, though perhaps just a touch of a floral aspect. Super smooth and tasty; heavy-medium mouthfeel and nicely drinkable.

2.96/5  rDev -20%

I've tried 320 some odd beers but never a Guinness in my life.. how about that.

Well, it's decent, that's for sure. Pours a nice jet black with a light brown head. Not much there aroma wise, took many whiffs and I come up with nothing. Taste is a bit alcohol heavy for only 6 % ABV.. as I swirl it around my mouth I can detect some strong alcohol burning going on. Some nice malts are also there too, but this beer's alcohol kick affects the drinkability a good deal. Meh, not what I was hoping for.

4.32/5  rDev +16.8%

A personal anecdote: long ago, when I first learned to love beer, Bass and Guinness were my bottles of choice. I had a show of my drawings, some cartoony, some darkly satirical, at a coffee shop near my apartment. My older brother was in town, saw the show, and gave me a surprise visit on a Sunday morning, with bottles all over the floor, from the night before. His judgement: "They're too bitter! Like this beer! LIFE isn't BITTER!"
Ah, ha, ha! Now, I'm not a complete cynic, more a realist in the face of truth, but this example proves a prevalent opinion that divides many beer drinkers on the subject of Guinness.
Another anecdote: at my bar, we sell a ton of Extra to our African and Carribean customers, and we used to also serve it on "draught". Once a ponytailed caucasian ordered a Guinness and the bartender asked, "Bottle or tap." After stating his preference, he turned to mate to remark, "What a stupid question!"
Color as black as pitch, big, creamy, rocky tan head. Aroma is filled with sweet and roasty flavor, hints of coffee and spice. More flavors come through on the palate, dark cherries, berries, chocolate. Some bitterness, huge and flavorful malt. Long lasting and tasty finish. Bold and substantial, this classic is best consumed cool, not cold.
Another devotee of "draught" once told me on the subject of stouts, "There's only one!", referring to Guinness. I'm glad that that's not true, but I never turn down Extra Stout.
Now, to get my hands on that African Foreign Extra that I've heard so many fables about!

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. Beer is dark, as expected, tight brown head with small to medium bubbles, leaves lacing on the glass. Carbonation cannot be determined from color of beer.

Malty and roasty in the nose, no hop character to speak of. Roast is secondary to the malty sweetness. Smells good.

Flavor is not sweet as I expected from the smell, roast is most present and dominates the back of the mouth. Beer is thin in the front and finishes nicely. A slight aftertaste but not serious. Drinkability high, mouthfeel is a little thin.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

The picture on beeradvocate can be very misleading for those trying to find this product in Ireland, as it looks like a Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (yellow) label with Guinness Original written on it, when really the Irish version looks like the Guinness Extra Stout label, but its distinguishing feature is its 4.2% ABV instead of 6%. I acquired my bottle in Galway, Ireland. I served it in a Grolsch pint glass, as that was all that was available. Reviewed live.

A: Lovely tan head, vibrant and full of cream, with marvelous thickness, five fingers and of excellent retention. Black colour (though allegedly it's technically a very dark ruby).

Sm: Roasted barley, coffee, chocolate, toffee, cream. Quite complex and lovely.

T: All of the notes from the nose come out in the body, riding on top of the roasted barley foundation. Wonderful. The coffee joins the roast to comprise the finish, which is welcome after the chocolate and toffee of the climax. Wonderfully balanced and quite nicely built. I'm surprised this isn't a more popular Guinness offering.

Mf: Exemplary of a proper Irish stout. Wet on the open, and dry from the climax through the finish in order to coax the next sip out of the consumer. Coarse enough to allow the flavours to linger but smooth enough that they don't overstay their welcome. Artfully crafted, and very complementary of the flavours on the body. It is a bit too wet on the climax at times, a notable difference from other Guinness offerings.

Dr: Affordable by Irish standards, and if I remember right also by USA standards. At 4.2% ABV,it's easy drinking and quite filling but also low calorie. The name can be misleading, as foreign extra and John Martin import are closer to the original flavour than either this or the draught, but it remains a great beer. Certainly worth a go.

3.41/5  rDev -7.8%

12 oz. bottle. Product of Canada. Poured into a Guinness Extra Stout pint glass.
It poured a dark brown - almost black - with a tan head.
The smell was thin. Not too bad, but weak. There were hints of burnt coffee - emphasis on burnt - and a tinge of alcohol in the nose.
The first sip had a robust kick of chocolate and coffee. But, starting with the second sip and every one after that, it seemed to grow weaker and more watery. It tastes like burnt dark coffee, a bad of chocolate and a raisin-like fruit essence far in the background. It left a bitter impression with just a touch of sweetness. It was not a complex taste - fairly simple.
Overall it was not bad, but nothing great. The growing market and production seems to have taken a toll on it over the years. It is not as balanced as I remember it being awhile back.
It is easily available, but there ae better craft examples of this style now.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

The beer pours a pitch black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a stiff, black malt bitterness along with a bone dry finish. It doesn't seem too complex; basically black patent and chocolate malts. The taste is decent. It has a dry black malt flavor; bitter and earthy. There is little depth besides maybe a bit of chocolate malt sweetness. The mouthfeel is decent as well. It is a full bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a solid Irish stout. It's basic, yet smooth and easy drinking.

3.16/5  rDev -14.6%

The beer pours a dark brown to black color with a small tan head. The aroma is a mix of bitter, lightly roasted malt and a little bit of chocolate. The flavor is chocolate and chalky roasted malts with a little bit of bitterness. The beer is very dry and would be pretty easy to drink if it tasted better. Thin to medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

2.52/5  rDev -31.9%

08/11/06- Purchased at Osco in Billings, MT.

Presentation- 12oz bottle, small stamp on the back of the label which may denote freshness. Poured into a imperial pint glass.

Appearance- Chocolate black with a wee bit of lucidity. Huge large bubbled light brown head. Takes 5 minutes to pour the whole bottle into an imperial pint glass. Head forms into a creamy root beer float looking entity. Looks delicious.

Smell- Super super roasted and charred malt nose. Not much else can get past that scent wise.

Taste- I've had this one a few times before and never liked it. I tried it again to see if my taste or pallete had changed in the last few years. Nope! This is one damn bitter brew. Almost to the point of sourness. Huge burnt charcoal backlash. Incredibly harsh. Just think of drinking the scraping of you BBQ in a liquid form.

Mouthfeel- Lighter and creamy mouthfeel with a sour lasting aftertaste. Mid level carbonation.

Drinkability- Just not my cup of tea for a brew. Don't plan on trying it ever again. I've learned my lesson.

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 4/24/2014. Pours nearly pitch black color with a 2 finger dense and rocky khaki head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Dense soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of chocolate, cocoa, coffee, roasted malt, toast, dark bread, light dark fruit, light char, and roasted earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt notes; with good strength. Taste of chocolate, cocoa, coffee, roasted malt, toast, dark bread, light dark fruit, light char, and roasted earthiness. Fair amount of roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, cocoa, coffee, roast, toast, dark bread, light char, and roasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice robustness and complexity of dark/roasted malt flavors; with a great roasted bitterness/sweetness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, crisp, and lightly creamy/chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice dry stout. All around good complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

2.96/5  rDev -20%

A black color, pours with a thick creamy brown head that is quite persistent, the head gets quite rocky over time as well. There is a slightly roasted aroma with a bit of sweet grain character. It has a lightly bitter astringent finish. Fairly thin in its consistency. Some roast character is here and it has a bit of a sour twang to it in the finish. Overall this beer is quite disappointing, and much worse than I remember. It is missing the character that I was expecting it to have. Not too bad, but certainly not great either.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pours a clear but opaque jet black in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation along the edges of the glass and cola brown highlights. The beer has a finger tall dense foamy light tan head that slowly reduces to a large thin patch covering the majority of the surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of roasted malts with the slightest hint of coffee beans.

T: Upfront there is a light flavor of roasted malts with some notes of freshly ground coffee. There is a light amount of bitterness in the finish which does not linger for long.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Smooth and creamy with a light amount of dryness towards the finish.

O: Even though it is probably no longer in vogue, I still enjoy a Guinness from time to time - reminds of my early days into drinking beer beyond BMC in the early to mid 1990s. Sessionable, easy to drink, and still enjoyable.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

24 oz. bottle, can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet,

A: Pours red/black with a solid finger of light tan head, some lace, good head retention.

S: Coffee, roasted malt, charcoal.

T: Heavy roasted black malt bitterness with a light sour fruit/cherry character. Hop flavour is very mild. The bitterness can be too much at times, not always balanced, but a good overall flavour.

M: Relatively smooth, medium-bodied, nowhere near as creamy as the Draught.

D: A classic and the first beer I ever bought legally when I turned 21. Not the best stout, but nowhere near the worst, the fact that it is quite inexpensive means that I'll probably pick it up again. A nice simple pint.

Me, drinking Guinness from a bottle when the N2 CANs are widely available?!? I just troll around in my local bottle shops' coolers and grab any singles that are available. I really hate to commit to a sixer of anything these days. That said, I am starting to Jones for new CANs ...

From the bottle: "Brewed since 1759 with natural ingredients, today GUINNESS is enjoyed in over 150 countries. Experience the robust, mellow and satisfying flavor for yourself."

My pour created a two finger mound of dense, light-brown head with excellent retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown with cola highlights. Nose had a rich, dark chocolate quality. Mouthfeel was medium with a light charcoal flavor on the tongue. Finish was dry, indeed, just as advertised. This was MUCH different than what I remember from N2 taps, which is how it is commonly served. It was not terribly complex, nor was it boring. This was a good beer!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Guinness Extra Stout (Original) from Guinness Ltd.