Smithwick's Pale Ale - Guinness Ltd.

Smithwick's Pale AleSmithwick's Pale Ale

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

English Pale Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: Eramen on 10-14-2011

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 153 | Reviews: 32
4.12/5  rDev +23.7%

The terrific tone77, my local, in-person trader came by with a box o' beer that included a buncha Diagio-Guinness CANs in support/furtherance of The CANQuest (TM). He often credits me for what I prvide to him in trade, but he has a great eye for CANs. I had seen these advertised, but he was the one who scored them. CANs make me giddy.

From the CAN: "Imported"; "Premium European style beer, craft brewed with pale ale malt and aromatic hops"; [undersigned] Jon Smithwick 1710"; "Brewed in Ireland".

At last, a commercial beer that proved to be brimful on the Crack! It is like a Baker's Dozen. I went with an inverted Glug and the resulting pseudo-cascade was beautiful, ending in two-plus fingers of bone-white head that fell faster than an anvil off of a cliff and onto Wile E. Coyote's head. 8=( Color was a deep golden- yellow (SRM = 5) with NE-quality clarity and there was a fistfight in my kitchen between Croesus, Mammon and King Midas, all hoping for a sip. Meanwhile, loads of CO2 bubbles were in evidence, leading to a big, but not creamy, mouthfeel. I know that wew are not supposed to pan other reviewers, but the person who said that this was a potential drainpour was off-base, IMHO. It was sweeter than an APA, but stylistically, it was nice. The nose was very earthy, like they had used fresh, wet hops with a light, buttery maltiness. The taste was very different, to my hophead palate. It was much more muted, in terms of its hoppiness, than an APA, but at the same time, it had a great earthy quality that intermingled well with the malt sweetness, not neccesarily daicetyl, but with a light butteriness. Once more, given its relatively low ABV, I would have this in my cooler when headed to the beach.

4.85/5  rDev +45.6%

I tried this beer while on vacation in Ireland. My previous favorite beer was Viking and Tuoborg both Great Beers. This beer had a some what fruity taste. It was like I wasn't drinking beer at all. The prefect beer in my book. I highly recommend this beer for everyone.

1.63/5  rDev -51.1%

I am not a beer expert. I just like to drink beer. This beer taste like old lady perfume. It is horrible. I bought an 8 pack of imported beers. I drank a partial can of this and threw out the rest. I only opened the second can so I could rate it. Nasty stuff.

3.47/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 14.9 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some malts. Taste is malts, grains, refreshing, very light hops. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a little light for the style, but nonetheless a refreshing beer on a hot summer day.

3.67/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

16oz can served in a pint glass.

L - clear and yellow with a white head that thinned out after a while.

S - sweet and a bit grainy with a mild floral hop aroma.

T - starts out somewhat sweet before a good shot of bitterness brings it to the finish line.

F - medium bodied with a crisp and refreshing feel.

O - I'd drink this beer again, and again.

2.54/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

500ml from Asda:
Golden with a bubbly, one centimetre tall head on top that has okay retention.

Grainy with a lot of lager hops and some lighter, grassy ones. There is some sweet malts too and various adjuncts with a sweet, almost honey like aroma following this.

Corn, some light hops and sweet lager malts with some corn and a hint of honey. This was a fairly bland and basic tasting beer & certainly not a craft one.

Very tangy with a lot of carbonation and a light body. There is a definite lager feel to the beer and it is fairly bland.

This one tastes cheap and standard and certainly isn't worth picking up, other than malts and a slight hint of honey it had nothing to offer so give it a miss.

3.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Golden in colour with an ample head that retains very well through the drinking period. Moderate lacing on the glass. I can tell this is a medium-high carbonation by the bubbles rolling to the top of the beer.

S - Grains, candy, red lemonade, soda, sweetbreads on the nose. It's all sweet pleasantness here.

T - Tastes very much as the flavours I got on the nose, add the sweet malts, a weakly bitterness, and a somewhat 'off' gassy after-taste. Still its not half-bad at all and holds up well.

MF - Thin-medium body with medium high carbonation.

O - Fairly good beer, a nice new brew in the Guinness/Smithwick's line giving a little more depth to their selection. I actually much prefer this to Smithwick's red.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Smithwick's Pale Ale from Guinness Ltd.