Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Foreign Extra StoutGuinness Foreign Extra Stout

Guinness Ltd. visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-30-2001

Foreign Extra Stout is brewed with generous hops and roasted barley for a bittersweet balance and full-flavored, natural bite. Developed for global export from Ireland, the addition of extra hops ensured this Stout would arrive in perfect condition. Today it is enjoyed by millions around the world.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 822 | Hads: 2,162
3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

As expected, my bottle of mud pours deep and black, with a thin chocolate head that held steady throughout the serving. Without the nitrogen pour, the bubbles were a little bigger, of course, but the lacing was still generous. A little fuller in body, the hoppy bite was noticeable, relative to the standard U.S. Draught version. There's a little alcohol heat and a nice lingering sweetness, balanced by the hoppy bitterness.

While I like this better than the typical draft, Guinness is still a far cry from any number of the HUGE assortments of stouts and porters readily available in nearly any local brewpub or brewery. All in all, while this is a very serviceable quaff, I'd prefer to drink local and fresh.

3.16/5  rDev -22.2%

Black with a tan head that is initially thumbs sized & bubbly before settling to half of that size. The retention is about average.

Gives off similar aroma to Guinness Draught but with a stronger smell of coffee and the roasted malts. It isn't as pleasant a smell as the Draught variety it must be said, with the overpowering coffee smell not being to my liking.

A mixture of warm coffee and roasted malts & barley upfront with a long, lingering coffee aftertaste. Again similar to standard Guinness Draught but a lot stronger. You can also detect a taste of alcohol in the background.

Smooth and quite warm on the palate with little evidence of carbonation.

Quite a nice flavoursome beer but one that is far to strong for my liking, especially with the coffee, roasted barley & roasted malts.

1001 Beers to Try Before You Die:

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

Served in a tulip

After having this stout twice, I can say that it is not finding its way into my cellar again. Out of the two styles of Guinness I have had, I shall stick to the draught. The molasses is overpowering, and that was the only flavor I could find in the heavy mouthfeel. Naturally, when someone tries a beer twice one hopes to be more impressed. Overall, I would not endorse this beer to someone who is looking for complexity.

3.19/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured into my Surly pint glass. A deep dark black color, not many highlight other that the very small one I found at the bottom edge of the glass. It was a dark brown color. I can't see the carbonation bubbles but I know they are there because the head is a huge four fingers and a dark mocha color that is very velvety an luscious. The lace is beautiful and sticks in rings all the way to the end.

Smell is European yeast and soggy bread. There are some dark roasted coffee aromas that I can pull out but it is hard to get anything over the dank musty initial smell.

Taste so odd. There are some great dark roasted flavors that get interrupted by this terrible hop bitter. Let it be said that I don't mind some hop flavors in my Stout, but the choice of hop is not my top pick. I understand this is made in Dublin also. I'll stick to America, specifically West Coast.

The mouth is quite unlike the appearance. It does have the bubblyness but feels flat. A bit watery too.

Overall, I must say that I am an American and enjoy beer brewed on this side of the pond. I understand that Guinness is a well respected brand all over the world, I just don't care for this. I know there are a few variations and I will rate them individually as I try them. Thanks to my local purveyor for the sample.

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

I picked this up at a gas station in Negril, Jamaica. Light aroma, sweet cocoa, almost tangy. Dark tan head faded fast to a film. Opaque black colored beer. Burnt malt flavor, a bit of cocoa, and a strange cigarette butt flavor towards the end. Moderately dry and bitter finish. Moderately light body. I don't like the flavor towards the end, the harsh bitter ashy flavor is unappealing. Give me a Dragon Stout.

3.21/5  rDev -20.9%

Brought back from a bottle shop in London.

Darkened blackened ruby...more so than most Guinness-water we get for here, for sure. Lighter than Nigerian version, though.

Amazing bubbly lace cling, pre-sip. Fresh out-of-oven chocolate cookies, watery alcohol and astringency, intense roast, high and almost piercing weediness. That sourish off-flavor that is so prevalent in Guinness these days. Almost Belgian yeast thing happening.

Taste echoes nose, with emphasis on vinous elements, reediness, metallic hop bitterness, nice sweetness to close.

Better than our crappy Guinness...but not that much better.

3.21/5  rDev -20.9%

A- Pours a deep black color with a nice tan head. Nice head retention as well
S- Caramel, oats, chocolate and a slight olive aroma from the yeast (same yeast smell from original guinness)
T- Roasted malt comes through with more of the olive flavor, and finishes with a sweet caramel/chocolate flavor.
M- Rich body, but not real heavy, with average carbonation. Much more drinkable than I would have anticipated
O- I think it is a nice spin on the original guinness. The extra hops give the beer a little twist. I like the original guinness so I think this is a nice addition. By no means do I think it's ground breaking, but I could still drink a few

L: Black body, tan head that's a little short, nice lacing 4/5

S: One characteristic smell, a sweet syrupy roasted malt aroma 3/5

T: Really builds on the dry bitterness of the draught. Taste opens up as you drink it. Overall reminds me of their extra stout. Slightly better than average 3.5/5

M: There is a problem with the carbonation, can feel it affecting the taste as it calms down in the mouth. Overall it seems a little heavy and somehow sharp. This really holds the beer back 2/5

D: Mouthfeel harms an otherwise very drinkable beer. Alcohol is unnoticeable 3/5

I haven't had a Foreign/Export Stout before, but this would fall short for a RIS or even a stronger regular American Stout

3.22/5  rDev -20.7%

Moderate to light brown pour, turns opaque in the glass. Huge head that holds well, has a touch of oil and stickiness to it. Lacing is impressive as well.

Almost sour level of burnt malt, burnt barely and hops mixing. Very piney and earthy hops. A lot of aroma, but not an aroma I'm in love with. Has an almost smoky smell.

Plenty of hops as they said. The burt flavors are pretty limited. They hang around in the back ground never taking control. The barely controls the sweetness and does a good job. It also has all of the burt/chocolate flavors though I have to say they're really subdued. Far more flavorful than anything else they make, but for stouts it's nothing that special.

Drinkable beer without a question. The alcohol is nearly non existent. The body is light enough to drink it. It's pretty easy to drink.

The mouth feel is also solid. Plenty of carbonation. Smooth drinker.

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

Pulled out of a 4-pack at the Boise COOP over the weekend.. paid ~$2.50... poured into my Delerium goblet. 3 finger dark tan head... great lacing and the expected black brew.

Nose is deep and black with some off putting smoke..

Flavor shows the same char... almost a jerky taste that thankfully dissipates quickly ... burnt sugars with plenty of charcoal... tons of roast and some metallic copper notes... pretty astringent.

Lite/medium body with a nice carbonation.. not digging this one at all.

I am really glad Boise got this one in, but I just never ever.... EVER see wanting another bottle.

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

The other beer available in Indonesia is alright too. The head is light brown caramel and it taste like guinness. Its not the best Guinness you,ll had in your life but its decent while you relaxing in the sumatran jungle. with the orang-outang!
But I think I prefer the Bintang, it is more refreshing!!

3.25/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Very dark, almost black; medium head, light brown

Aroma: Sour; musty

Taste: Creamy; bitter; hints of dried fruit

Remarks: Better as it warmed up; but a little too bitter for me. I've always felt Guinness was a bit too thin for the style

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Thanks to victory4me for sharing one of these with me. Tossed it in as an 'extra' from when he had picked up some other beers for me. Poured into a tulip glass.

The color is darker than Guinness Draught, almost opaque but not quite, with brown hues around the edges. A creamy nitro-like head (typical for Guinness) sits in clumps around the top of the beer after a few minutes. Lacing is spotty and inconsistent.

The aroma is strong with roasted barley notes that contribute a charred character. There are also notes of chocolate, a hint of buttery diacetyl, and some light figgy fruitiness. The flavor emphasizes the almost burnt notes from the roasted barley. Earthy hops augment the bitterness from the charred flavors nicely. There is a touch of sweetness, but it comes in the middle of the palate and is quickly swept away by roasted coffee and more burnt flavors.

A little more substantial in the mouthfeel than I had expected. However, the burnt feel of the malts really borders on astringent. Smooth and medium-to-heavy on the palate, the overall feel is pretty good. However, with the shortcomings in the flavor make it tough to drink.

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

11.2oz bottle. Pours black with a short lived brown head and some lacing. Aroma is of roasted grain, bready malt and some chocolate. Body is full, smooth and oily. Roasted grain, chocolate malt, some dark fruit and a lot of earthy hops fill the mouth. The finish is long and bitter. I can’t say I enjoyed this brew.

3.29/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep brown with big tan foamy/frothy head with great retention and okay lacing. Not much in the aroma, a little roasted and sour lager. Molasses and roasted malts with slightly sour finish. A little hoppy and smoky with a roasted finish. Thick yet thin/smooth with a slight fuzz.

Much more drinkable than other Guinness although still probably just a slightly above average stout. Easy drinking to the point of it being unnoticeable except the sour/bitter finish. Not anything I'll be looking for except if it's the only thing available on St. Patrick's Day. I would definitely drink it before any other Guinness I've had.

3.31/5  rDev -18.5%

A: Dark pour with a nice frothy light brown head. A lot of lacing on this one.

S: Roasted malts, chocolate and coffee. Basically like a coffee infused Guinness.

T: Very light to start, roasted malts and caramel. Strong coffee finish. Very dry and bitter to tie it all up.

MF: Much lighter than I expected.

D: High for a stout. Although I wouldn't pick up another 4-pack.

3.32/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle received as an extra from seaoflament, thanks for including this Irish brew in my package, split with a friend as the night cap on St. Patty's Day, poured into a pint glass

A-Almost black, very dark brown with hints of red, hufe two inch beige head that slowly faded into the top of the glass, only some lacing

S-Roasted malt, milk, caramel, some hoppy aromas, hint of coffee, maple syrup, scents were pretty weak overall and nothing really stood out

T-Much different than any other Guinness product I have had before, much sweeter and not as dry equals better in this case, starts off with a roasted malt flavor, fades into some slight chewiness and milk chocolate, ends with some hoppiness and some dryness but not too much like the other, also some coffee in the finish but it is barely noticeable, went down pretty easy compared to the Guinness I have drank in the past

M-Dry and somewhat sweet mouthfeel, lots of carbonation, medium to thick body, taste did not linger as long as a standard Guinness does here in the states

D-Could drink a few bottles of this but the ABV is higher than normal, so it might affect me eventually, smooth, not too heavy on the stomach surprisingly

Not a big fan of Guinness but this strong stout brew changed my mind a little bit, would drink this over the standard stuff in the United States any day, would drink again if I ever make it to Ireland, recommended to try

3.33/5  rDev -18%

11.2 oz bottle of the new-to-the-usa Foreign Extra Stout. Pours a black color with a creamy froth of dark tan head. Nice retention and lacing. It is a good-looking brew.

Nose is a little bit of fruit, little bit of roast and some mineral chalkiness that reminds me of Sam Smiths stouts. Not overly sweet and has enough complexity to fall on the upswing side of average.

Seems to have less sweetness than most of the Export stouts I have had. A twinge of sourness and a dry, roasty malt character fit into the Guinness portfolio well. I really think I like the Extra Stout better than this one, even though I had high hopes for this. Mouthfeel is a little thin for the style and the fruitiness comes and goes in flashes. Of course it is better than the draught, but I cant help but think this is not the same beer that is offered in Africa and Ireland.

3.33/5  rDev -18%

Bought a bottle at a bar in Dupont.

Appearance: This is a DARK beer -- brown-black and totally opaque. Light tan head that pours big. Lots of lacing.

Smell: The only Guinness I've tried where hops dominates the malt. A light roastiness follows.

Taste: I was a little disappointed. The characteristic coffee malt was hidden by grassy hops. I could tell there was underlying flavor, but I really struggled to get past the herbal taste. Aftertaste was strangely sweet. The booze, however, is well-disguised.

Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation and medium-bodied. There's a clean finish that may come from the extra booze. It's a pretty warm finish.

Overall: Not your average Guinness. If you want extra kick, this is your beer. If you're looking for the creamy coffee malt to appear more, go with the Draught or regular Extra Stout.

3.33/5  rDev -18%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a very nice black color with a tan 2finger head that pillows down slowly and leaves nice lacing. Great look. The aroma is deep rich burnt coffee and dark chocolate. There is some bitter chocolate notes to and a touch a vanilla to balance out. The taste is fantastic initially, but the aftertaste drags this beer down. There is a nice initial roasty malty coffee and dark chocolate flavor followed by a really tannic and bitter beer face finish. This might be too warm, so I will try again colder. Great viscosity and dryness on the finish but really bitter as the beer leaves your palate. Overall, this is better in some ways that the regular dradt guineas, but drinkability lacks because of th finish and it's higher abv. Really not something to go nuts over.

3.34/5  rDev -17.7%

Tasted this locally (Dublin) purchased bottle on 5th November 2005. A 330ml bottle, best before 03/08/06.

Poured a classic murky black body with a very good coffee tan head. Very nice lacing.

Smell subdued, roasted malts, burnt coffee beans, iron rust.

Tasted fairly good; tastes much like the smells, but with a sweetness that was a bit "clingy". Alcohol well disguised.

Mouthfeel average, and I would not be too pushed about having another. A little dissapointing, I'm afraid.

NOTE: I remember being privileged to drink the blue-capped, no label version given to Guinness brewery staff as part of their weekly "beer allowance" in times past. I recall it as being much more robust in flavour than this bottle.

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

Appearance: dark brown color, 1 finger dark tan head. Decent lacing.

Smell: smells like regular guinness with a touch of alcohol

Taste: taste is a bit better than guinness. roasted malts and chocolate. ends with hops. nothing special but not bad.

Mouthfeel: pretty light for a stout but very smooth.

Drinkability: good drinkability. the 7.5% abv is barely noticeable.

Overall better than Guinness but I'm still not impressed. There are definitely better stouts out there. I probably won't buy this again.

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

12 oz. bottle into glass pint.

$3.25 / ea.

A: Opaque black body topped with a tight tan two-finger plus head of fantastic retention that leaves behind thick sticky lace and a rocky cover.

S: Classic Guinness aroma but stronger. This is a good thing. Sweet fruit aromas fill the nose

T: Bitter coffee and hops from the beginning. Again, this reminds me of classic Guinness on steroids. Everything is just a little more potent. The one drawback is the booze borders on medicinal and can be a bit distracting with fusel hints. Significant bitter aftertaste, but it doesn't linger too long.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation. I'd like to try this on nitro to get the creaminess I expect from the brand. Otherwise very ordinary example of the style.

D: The drinkability really suffers from the alcoholic off flavors. One or two is fine, and food really helps. Otherwise, not something I would seek out.

O: So much promise with a great appearance and appealing aroma. I'll try this one again to double check the flavor. Could have been so much more.

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

Dark black with an of white lacy head.

Smokey quality a bit of almost a funky twang from the yeast. Dark fruits come through.

Dark fruit come through to the taste. Sweet malty characteristics as well.

Light and smooth. A bit rich. A decent beer I was expecting more from the other reviews. The flavors were done well, but not exceptionally well. I prefer Lion Stout to this guy any day.

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

12oz. bottle. huge head of foam like a tit with an inny nipple. smells a bit boozy and coffee and chocolate. slightly heavy. chocolate and very drinkable for 7.5abv slight crack cocaine after taste at first but slowly fades half way threw the glass... ...

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout from Guinness Ltd.