Guinness Foreign Extra Stout - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Foreign Extra StoutGuinness Foreign Extra Stout

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-30-2001

Foreign Extra Stout is brewed with generous hops and roasted barley for a bittersweet balance and full-flavored, natural bite. Developed for global export from Ireland, the addition of extra hops ensured this Stout would arrive in perfect condition. Today it is enjoyed by millions around the world.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 820 | Hads: 2,150
4.56/5  rDev +12%

Poured from a bottle into a tuliped pint glass

A-Deep deep ruby boarding on black, with a large creamy khaki head that lasts the entire experience

S- Roast malts, coffee, toffee, alcohol

T-Without a doubt the best thing Guinness produces, an explosion of flavor involving, malt, toffee, spice, hops, chocolate, slight nut and earth flavoring

M-Big body, slight carbonation, just fantastic

D-At a hefty ABV and a hefty price, it's not easy to put down too many of these, that being said, this is one of the greatest beers I've ever had the privilege of drinking (565 characters)

11.2 oz bottle I poured in my Chimay Goblet

Opaque blackness, 2" thick, tan foam with strong lace and major stickiness. Good looker.

Huge roastie barley malt, graham cracker, cream, dark roastie coffee, black licorice. Slightly earthy hop and subtle heat tone with some subtle grains and oats.

The flavor has a big, complex roastie malt, coffee, oats, dark wheat and cream and some subtle dark fruits. A sour-malty and wheat finish, English yeast and barley pops right out at ya. The heat is subtle but effective, dry hop mouthfeel with smooth and rather dry overall medium to hefty. There's a slightly smooth vanilla-like feel, not full or thick but complex for sure.

A really great stout with a classic approach, pure English! (737 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

I was able to bring a few of these back with me from a recent trip to Nassau in the Bahamas. Pours pitch black with a large creamy tan colored head. Much like the Extra Stout offered in the states but much bolder in every aspect. Too bad Guinness does not ship the Foreign Extra Stout to the states or it would be a regular in my fridge. (337 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

A - I gave this beer a gentle poor and it produced a nice rocky fluffy three finger head. This beer produces great lacing and is pitch black like motor oil. The head is a nice brownish khaki color. Great looking beer.

S - This beer is nice and light on the nose with a nice dark roast creamy smell to it. I get a faint amount of figs and dark fruit. I get a nice chocolate smell on this one as well that seems to be smooth and pleasant throughout.

T - First thing I notice on this one is the dark roast which last a split second. Then I get some of the dark fruit and fig taste along with some nice woody after taste. It lets you know that it is a Guinness beer on the finish that is for sure. I also get some black licorice and anise on it. It seems to change every time I drink it. Hmm. Nice and complex and I cannot detect alcohol on this one at all.

M - Nice full bodied, smooth and lightly carbonated. A bit creamy as well.

O - Very nice beer for anyone who enjoys the regular Guinness but wants to try something on a whole new level. This beer is a great Stout that everyone should give a try at least once. A proper beer for a beer enthusiast. Cheers! (1,164 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

A: Rocky mocha colored head. Spider web lacing. Pitch black. Cool.

S: Dark purple fruits, blueberry, currants, black cherry. Roast is there along with maple syrup, milk chocolate, vanilla, but the fruits dominate. Superb.

T: More dark fruits, along with a huge earthy bitter aftertaste. Mildly smokey with some roasted burnt toast malts.

M: Creamy, still a tad more light bodied than I prefer in a stout though.

O: Manages to be unique in the world of accessible stouts. A good one. (488 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

Found this beer while shopping at a Walmart!! $8.99/four pack.

Appearance - Dark brown, almost black. 1 - 1 1/2 inch foam head. Medium to heavy lacing. Nice looking beer.

Smell - Heavy malts here. Roasted, toasted, and buttery all the way through. Much more of a hop presence than Guinness Draught.

Taste - Nutty and sweet on the front end. The bitterness really comes through on the back end. Very earthy tasting.

Mouthfeel - Much more carbonated than Guinness Draught, but not overwhelming. Much less dense too.

Overall - This is quite a tasty beer if you're into stouts. It packs a bigger punch than it's cousin, but is very drinkable. This beer is something that I could drink while at home watching movies, at dinner with the family, or at a bar with some good buddies. Cheer to that!! (795 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

• Look - 4.75 - Jet black with creamy clinging head. Head drapes down the side of the glass in an artful look of drip. Spectacular.
• Smell - 4.0 – Creamy watered-down Guinness.
• Taste - 4.75 - Mild stout, strong and creamy. Tasty – doesn’t have the dryness that regular Guinness does.
• Feel - 4.75 - Thick and creamy.
• Overall - 4.75 - excellent, my favorite Guinness offering. (402 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

I made a point to drink a few of these on my recent trip to France. I should have brought as many as I could home with me. Not being able to get this style of Guinness in the United States is a crime.

Oh the lovely, sweet, thick black elixir. It kind of looks like motor oil. The coffee and toffee aromas hit first. Yum. It has a warming, familiar flavor. It's kind of like that hot chocolate your mother used to make for you. That sort of comfort comes through in the flavor. It's sweet, it's malty - it's delicious.

Night and day from the stuff you can get here - sadly. (579 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: poured extremely dark, thin mocha colored head.

S: strong enough to overcome my cold! Some coffee, slightly burnt smell but very pleasant.

T: full, complex taste. Follows the smell nicely. A bit of bitterness but very nice. I really enjoy this beer!

M: smooth on the palate. May need to let this warm up a bit.

O: fantastic! I will definitely drink this again! (417 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearence: Pours completely black with just the tiniest red hue. The head is creamy, thick, and has wonderful retention.

Smell: The smell is an amazing mix of roasted malts, coffee, and bittersweet chocolate. The alcohol is noticable, but balances more than offends, unlike some stouts.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Wow. Take your Guinness Draught and give it to the dog. This is what a stout is meant to be like. It's incredibly rich, almost unbelievably so, with strong roasted nuts and coffee notes. The alcohol warms the belly in a wonderful manner. The complexity is through the goddamn roof. The mouthfeel is lucious and creamy, rich and full, yet kinda bubbly and slick.

Drinkability and Overall: This is a damn fine stout. If only American Guinness was like this, we'd all be in heaven. I picked this up in Bermuda while on a cruise. They had no good brews on the ship, so I was stuck drinking Newcastle. After I managed to smuggle this one on board, and drink it, I was in absolute heaven. Going from 3 days of Newcastle to this, I'd have to say it was the perfect beer for the moment. Simply stunning. (1,113 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into ~15cl glass. I filled it up just under 3 times.

Foreign Extra pours an amazingly black color, just the tiniest hints of deep ruby when held to light, with a dark tan head, bordering on brown. The head is well over 2 fingers thick, and it sticks to the glass like white on rice.

The smell is of an unexpectedly bitterness (at least the strength of said bitterness), chocolately malt, and a hint of rum.

The Taste really is impressive. The best guinness, no doubt -- hits initially with the coffee/chocolate malt flavor which is incredibly more intense than in the rest of the guinness family. It is met equally with a surprising hoppy bite, dark yet delicious. I don't expect this sort of feel in a stout, which is the only reason I give it a 4.5 out of 5. The hoppiness overrides some of the more traditional flavors, but I am FAR from disappointed.

Like any other guinness, this is a very full bodied, syrupy stout. The large bubbles provide for a wonderful feel, and there are absolutely no complaints here.

I would love to drink this all night. Could I? No. The 7.5% ABV sneaks up on you, because you just want to keep drinking this delicious beverage. This beer is an absolute must-try. (1,227 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a mug.

This brew is striking. It pours black with three fingers of nice, cappuccino coloured head. The aroma is mostly of some dark (think 60%) chocolate and coffee imparted by the roastiness of the brew. The taste? Excellent. This is what I thought Guinness was supposed to taste like from what I'd heard about it from casual beer drinkers. This is an outstanding, smooth stout that's just a joy to drink. The coffee and chocolate work together in perfect harmony, striking the perfect balance between sweet and bitter.Towards the end a surprising amount of hops come through, working together with the roastiness to create a wonderfully refreshing, bitter aftertaste.

Both the mouthfeel and drinkability are absolutely off the charts. The mouthfeel is smooth and silky in the mouth, and leaves a wonderful spiky aftertaste on the tongue and the roof of my mouth that's surely imparted by the nice dose of hops. The drinkability? This is 7.5% alcohol and I downed this mug in about 15 minutes flat, which is crazy fast for someone who'll nurse a pale ale for two hours. This is honestly a superb beer, and I'm glad after trying all the lesser varieties of Guinness, I've finally found one that I can love whole-heartedly. The fact that my workplace has just started carrying this is a dangerous prospect, I see the 8.99 four-packs coming home with me far too often. (1,402 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Wish I could find this on-tap again. This is an awesome beer. Guinness holds a special place in my heart for getting me into the dark beers to begin with, but with that bias aside, this is real good stout. Nice subtle chocolate with a real rich maltiness. Not many beers beat the look of this one. (297 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Pitch black with a chocolate head that is giant, rocky, and leaves rings around the glass.

S: Creme Brulee and dulce de leche are both delightfully displayed in the bouquet.

T: Creme brulee upfront, with hints of espresso, licorice, and cinnamon. Hops are also upfront, providing contrast to the brew's sweetness.

M: Creamy, but not sticky. Full bodied and nourishing.

D: A vast improvement upon the previously available guinness in the states. I am delighted that this finally made it over here. (503 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Nice dark color with good head. Head was light color.

Smell: Strong hop aroma, and some malt aromas as well.

Taste: Nice malt flavors, as well as a nice balance of strong hops flavor.

Mouth feel: Medium body, and silky smooth.

Overall: Great stout. The best beer that Guinness makes, and one of my favorite stouts. (331 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I’ve never found Guinness very accessible, and it has been the only beer I can remember trying that I have really struggled to drink, even the supposedly perfect pint poured in the Dublin Guinness Factory. I’d long given up on it, but perhaps I can have more luck with the Foreign Extra incarnation of it.

Pours with a large frothy light brown head, long lasting and plenty of lacing. Pitch black hue, completely opaque. Malty aromas are dominant with dark bitter chocolate, coffee and all round roastiness.
Seemed subdued on tasting though: more maltiness and some pleasant bitter flavours, but somewhat lacking in the intensity you would expect from the smell. Medium-to-full body with creamy texture. Lovely finish with malt giving way to a lovely lingering bitter flavour. The length of this is exceptional. Incredibly drinkable: certainly none of the iron filing flavour I'd associate with Guinness Draught, but surprisingly drinkable for the alcohol content as well.

Overall, sorry to reach the end of it, and happily converted. (1,044 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Very excited to try this one. Thanks Riggsy for including this in my Secret Santa package.

Pours super dark, almost pitch black. Only a slight burgundy can be seen through the thin portions of the glass next to a light. A dense and very stable head rests on top and doesn't want to go away. Very uniform, filmy lacing is left behind.
Roasty notes accompanied by a slight hint of black liccorice. Slight caramel notes as well.
Nice dark malt and crystal flavors. Mild hop presence. Slight hints of fruit. The best tasting Guinness I've had.
Medium bodied and nicely carbonated. A slight pleasant bittering lingers in the upper palate and on the back of the tounge. Overall, extremely well balanced.
I've been a fan of Guinness for sometime now. The Draught is a good beer that is fairly easy to find in many restraunts that don't have a great beer selection... The Extra Stout has often been a saple for me at home... This one takes things to a new level. What a wonderfull offering! (983 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured an inky blackish-brown into a pint glass with two fingers of creamy, long-lasting mocha head. Smooth, pleasantly roasty aroma of coffee, dark chocolate, and a hint of dark fruit.

Moderate carbonation and a full, exceptionally creamy mouthfeel. Surprising hint of caramel sweetness, vanilla, and biscuity malt up front, followed by roasted coffee, chocolate, and slightly smoky notes before a nicely roasty/bitter finish.

For all its full, well-executed flavors, this Guinness remains really easy-drinking (ABV is completely masked). Glad this one is now more widely available--I like it exponentially more than the other Guinness beers. (645 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

11.2oz bottle, bottle dating 0-244. Brewed in Ireland.

Pours a dense ink-black with small amount of creamy, dark tan foam and lacing.
Scent ripe with heavy malt, sweet with notes of grape and roasted hazelnut.
An astringent mix of charcoal malt and bitter hop elicits flavors of dark chocolate, forest pine, and slightly winy with ripe fruit (ala cherry or grape). Crisp, but with a bone-dry finish.
Body full and smooth; built sturdy but for easy-drinking.

The gold-standard for "foreign-extra" stout, and stout in general. This is the beer which earns Guinness its reputation. I prefer the Caribbean-brewed version when I want more of a thirst-quencher, but the original version is an exquisite experience all its own. (722 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +13.5%

When my mom took her most recent trip to Aruba, this beer was the souvenir I requested she bring back for me. And boy was it worth it. Bottle has a best before of 280205, but this beer is even better aged then when I first tried it in 2005.

Pitch black in color with mahogany hues at the bottom of the glass. Head pours thick and rocky, slowly dissipating to a beige sheet and leaving behind some sporadic lace.

Aroma of toasted malts, toffee, and rum along with some dark fruit.

Starts with some bitterness from the roasted malts and hops, which dries the tounge. Next malt flavors of bitter chocolate, dark roast coffee, and caramel come in and juice things up - making the mouth water. Hop bitterness combines nicely with the roasted malt flavors. Leaves you with some lingering dark fruit/raisin flavors, nuttiness, and a dry palate.

Full-bodied, and smooth ... very smooth. Kind of chewy. I've seen beers called chewy before and thought "How can that be?", but alas - I have found myself a chewy beer.

Very easy to drink, especially for a heavier stout. But watch out, unless you live in the tropics you will go through your stash way too quickly. Still have 2 more stashed away, but I think it is time to go and find a friend going to the Caribbean. Or book a trip myself. Such a shame this is not more easily available.
(1,344 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 4-pack in the Milford Whole Foods. Served in a Guinness pint glass.
First impression is impressive; incredibly dark, essentially opaque to light. Good-sized brown head that laces quite well as the drink goes down. The smell is fantastic; much more forward than the standard nitro Guinness we now get. The aroma brought be back to Ireland; the pub is where the family often got together back home and this is the smell I remember from my childhood!
The taste is highly enjoyable, with a strong burnt/roasted malt flavor that is well complimented by the taste of hops. Mouthfeel is a satisfying full one, with a fairly clean finish. Very drinkable for a fairly hight ABV; this is one of the best beers I've had in quite a while! (738 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Much thanks to my roommate for bringing this back from his trip to Ireland for me. He picked it up at the Guinness brewery in Dublin, bottle says "brewed in Ireland."

Decanting this 330 mL bottle reveals a midnight black brew dominated by a light brown head. As the head dies down slightly, some heavy lacing coats my snifter. The aroma was much sweeter than I was expecting a Guinness to be. Some dark fruits coupled with caramel and possibly some molasses. Plenty of malt in the nose, with a really fantastic nuttiness. An extraordinary nose for an export stout. The flavor is very full, slightly reminescent of Guinness' Extra Stout, but with more depth. Up front, the taste is very robust - a nice presence of roasted barley and black malts, coffee is also apparent. Underneath this malty facade lies some nice bitter chocolate and caramel flavors. The robust malts eventually give way to a definite creaminess along with a hint of dark fruit sweetness. That creamy flavor leads into some spicy hops that help finish things off. Aftertaste is slightly hoppy, but mainly roasted dry. Mouthfeel is very full and almost chewy. Definitely the best offering from Guinness I've experienced. (1,191 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is fantastic! I recommend savoring it. Compare it to the extract brewed Guinness Extra and you will see the difference: Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

I am glad to finally be able to regularly drink Guinness in the US that was made in Ireland.

If you like a dry stout and if you like the character imparted by roasted barley, then this beer is for you. (376 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a pint glass, developed a tan head which lasted well beyond, as would be expected from Guinness, and laced exceptionally. Appearance was black, of Guinness. Aroma was strong of coffee and malt and hop. Perhaps a hint of chocolate. Taste was coffee and dry hop. Mouthfeel was full and a bit carbonated. Aftertaste was super dry. (339 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

(Served in a snifter) Best before L0232GF002 05:37
A- This beer pours a jet black body with a big chocolate tan head that separates a bit like the nitro poured Guinness. The body is to dark for any signs of carbonation and the head makes thick sand dunes with each sip until finally resting in the bottom of the glass after the beer is gone.
S- There are some rich black roasted malt with a slightly sweet almost tootsie roll quality behind it. There is an aroma that is not really sweaty and not really smoky or tart but has a lot of those qualities in there. The finish has a graham aroma and a chocolate malt richness.
T- The black roasted malt flavor is rich but mellow with a hop bitterness in the finish that blends with the black malt support. There is a faint smoky bacon quality to it as the beer warms. The roasted malt flavor has a slight green hop quality to it and a soft chocolate flavor and the roasted black malt finish is slightly dry.
M- This beer has a full creamy texture and no alcohol heat. D- There is not a great deal of depth but there are great flavors with a great about of hop support. The flavors and aromas are well blended and each sip makes me want to take another sip. When I think of classic stouts that are rich full and I could drink all day this is one of them. (1,303 characters)

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout from Guinness Ltd.