Guinness Foreign Extra Stout - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Foreign Extra StoutGuinness Foreign Extra Stout

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.50% ABV

Foreign Extra Stout is brewed with generous hops and roasted barley for a bittersweet balance and full-flavored, natural bite. Developed for global export from Ireland, the addition of extra hops ensured this Stout would arrive in perfect condition. Today it is enjoyed by millions around the world.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

A - Dark, very dark ebony in colour, 1 finger creamy-head, yet of a different texture to its draught brethren.

S - Dark brown sugar, dark chocolate, caramel, bitter espresso, sweet warm milk.

T - Truffle, black chocolate with a bitter edge, coffee, malts, maybe some dark fruits, a little and by no means overpowering tinge of alcohol. Nice bitter-sweet creaminess which should be savoured on the taste-buds.

MF - Creamy, slick and not at all heavy (which should quash the Guinness and its 'heaviness' myth), has the consistency of sweet coffee-flavoured milk!

O - Fantastic stout, the best formulation of the Guinness brand to be sure, do not hesitate to pick it up, and a few at that!

Eramen, Jul 07, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -12.8%

I dunno about this one, I was very excited to try it...maybe too excited. Finally saw this in a bar(d.b.a., Wmsburg) so I grabbed one out of excitement. Pours looking like a nice heavy stout, the head falls quickly. What I'm getting from this is an amplified Guinness Extra Stout. Stronger roasted flavor, which adds a bit of acidity and bitterness, like a dark coffee. Like the 'standard' Guinness I'm finding it with not enough body, especially for the high ABV. The beer isn't bad, but you won't find me paying $9 for it again.

wcintula, Jul 07, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a 111.2 oz bottle w/ no bottling date or best by date into a tulip glass. Pours out like motor oil & almost midnight black. A nice rocky tan head w/ some pretty damn decent lacing develops. The bubbles are small & very tightly packed on the bottom rising up to mountains of bubbles on the top that range from medium to large. The nose bring DARK chocolate & roasted malt. Some black licorice too. That acidic bite of a stout is present in the nose too.

It goes down like a Guinness on steroids. This is how I thought Guinness would taste like when I first drank their stout. First out the gate is the bite from the hops. Roasted/chocolate malts are very aggressive. Has a thick mouthfeel too as it warms up. I'm really picking up that long aftertaste of a stout & that espresso bite. Coffeeish but this is more like burnt dark chocolate. Quite bitter from the generous hopping. If I were Irish, I'd be mighty proud of this beer!

Overall, this is one damn fine beer. After this, I don't think I'll really ever enjoy a regular Guinness. This is the aggressiveness I've come to enjoy in a beer. It's right up front w/ the nose, almost enveloping the area you are in. Then comes the burnt chocolate & roasted malt. Follow this up w/ the bitterness from the hops & that unmistakable Stout bite makes this a beer to go back to. Very good. I could see myself drinking several of these in a sitting. Would pair nicely w/ a wide range of foods as well. Prosit!

HaysAmerica, Jul 04, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

This one poured out as a very dark brown color. The head was creamy and thick looking. The lacing on the glass was quite impressive, leaves plenty of suds down the glass. The smell of the beer seems to have a bit more of a hop presence that isn't usually common from Guinness. The other aromas consist of some chocolate and some really burnt toast. The taste is very dry and bitter, there is a light amount of creaminess but it's got more bite than most other products from St. James. The mouthfeel isn't overly heavy, I felt that it wasn't nearly as heavy as some stouts out there. The body was a bit thicker than the normal extra stout they make. Overall I found this stout to be pretty enjoyable from start to finish. I would enjoy having this one again.

Knapp85, Jul 01, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured into my Surly pint glass. A deep dark black color, not many highlight other that the very small one I found at the bottom edge of the glass. It was a dark brown color. I can't see the carbonation bubbles but I know they are there because the head is a huge four fingers and a dark mocha color that is very velvety an luscious. The lace is beautiful and sticks in rings all the way to the end.

Smell is European yeast and soggy bread. There are some dark roasted coffee aromas that I can pull out but it is hard to get anything over the dank musty initial smell.

Taste so odd. There are some great dark roasted flavors that get interrupted by this terrible hop bitter. Let it be said that I don't mind some hop flavors in my Stout, but the choice of hop is not my top pick. I understand this is made in Dublin also. I'll stick to America, specifically West Coast.

The mouth is quite unlike the appearance. It does have the bubblyness but feels flat. A bit watery too.

Overall, I must say that I am an American and enjoy beer brewed on this side of the pond. I understand that Guinness is a well respected brand all over the world, I just don't care for this. I know there are a few variations and I will rate them individually as I try them. Thanks to my local purveyor for the sample.

azdback, Jun 30, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

Bought a bottle at a bar in Dupont.

Appearance: This is a DARK beer -- brown-black and totally opaque. Light tan head that pours big. Lots of lacing.

Smell: The only Guinness I've tried where hops dominates the malt. A light roastiness follows.

Taste: I was a little disappointed. The characteristic coffee malt was hidden by grassy hops. I could tell there was underlying flavor, but I really struggled to get past the herbal taste. Aftertaste was strangely sweet. The booze, however, is well-disguised.

Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation and medium-bodied. There's a clean finish that may come from the extra booze. It's a pretty warm finish.

Overall: Not your average Guinness. If you want extra kick, this is your beer. If you're looking for the creamy coffee malt to appear more, go with the Draught or regular Extra Stout.

fountainofyouth, Jun 26, 2011

Pours a pitch black color with a dense, solid, foamy head with excellent retention and lacing.

Smells of roasted grains and malt. Dark, bitter chocolate. English sour pale malt.

Flavor is similar to Guinness (standard), but with the appropriate "Extra". It has that slightly sourness that Guinness and many English beers have from their malt. A touch of alcohol.

Smooth mouth like Guinness, but a little less due the little alcohol zip. A little creamy and low carb. Not sure if it has less maltodextrine, or the extra alcohol kind of nullifies its presence.

I've always been a Guinness fan. In a good way, it's like the Pepto Bismal of beer. If my stomach has been screwed up, I can always still drink with the group if I'm drinking Guinness. This beer is a little more full bodied and flavored with the alcohol desired. I'd probably get this every time over regular Guinness unless I didn't feel well. This is a great beer. Better than expected.

MrVonzipper, Jun 23, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured in standard pint glass, review from notes.

A: Jet black with caramel head thick and creamy.

S: Roasted grains and barley. Chocolate malt.

T: Chocolate with roasted barley and grains. Bittersweet and smooth.

M: Creamy smooth and well carbonated.

drowninginhops, Jun 22, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a nice pitch-opaque with luscious light caramel/brownish/dark tan head, about a fist thick. NIIICCCEEE. Thick, bubbly and creamy, very nice retention. Good sticky lines of lacing.

Good dose of toasted grains/barley, and alcohol. Very noticeable grainy alcohol presence, almost sulfur-like. Mmmm...

Pleasant mouthful of toasted grainy barley, alky presence and very nice hop bite. Smooth, silky sweet yet bittered with a nice hop kick, which is a big plus. The rubbing alcoholish alcohol presence is noticeable here as well. Pretty solid medium to slightly thick body, with fairly high carbonation. Very good.

By far the best Guinness of any style/kind I've had. The hop bite due to the extra hops used is an added welcome and big plus. I'm so glad it finally made it here in my area, hopefully it stays and can get more. This is what the other Guinness brews should be.

happy4hoppybeer, Jun 16, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -1%

Pours nice and dark with a pretty brown head which leaves a nice lace on the glass. Smell is roasty malt with some sweetness. Has a smell similar that signature smell of Guinness Draught. Taste is malty bitterness, black coffee, and a bit of alcohol sweetness. Sweeter than Guinness Draught and Extra Stout with a more pronounced alcohol bite, but has that familiar Guinness roasty malt flavor. I prefer Guinness Extra Stout but this is not bad at all.

jgurley, Jun 15, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

A- Pours a deep black color with a nice tan head. Nice head retention as well
S- Caramel, oats, chocolate and a slight olive aroma from the yeast (same yeast smell from original guinness)
T- Roasted malt comes through with more of the olive flavor, and finishes with a sweet caramel/chocolate flavor.
M- Rich body, but not real heavy, with average carbonation. Much more drinkable than I would have anticipated
O- I think it is a nice spin on the original guinness. The extra hops give the beer a little twist. I like the original guinness so I think this is a nice addition. By no means do I think it's ground breaking, but I could still drink a few

atr2605, Jun 09, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -1%

pours a deep dark black with a huge foamy tan head.

smells sweet and cocoa like with some dark coffee notes. no real hop presence but a distinct bread like yeast nose.

lots of chocolate and sweet coffee in the flavor. and a distinct bitter finish, a bit closer to a piny hop taste. more bread like yeast flavor.

slightly dry mouthfeel, but a very sweet aftertaste. light bodied and slightly creamy with a lot of residual foam.

very drinkable, not filling and extremely palatable.

overall its a really good take on the traditional guiness. not very complex but i like what is going on.

ryanonline, Jun 02, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

I nearly fell over at Luke's Liquors when I saw this on the shelf. Suffice it to say I grabbed a four pack. Appearance was good, but I expected more. Only a slight head, and not the milky froth I desired, most likely a result of the bottling.

Smells of dark malt, and roasted grains, slightly sweet with hints of coffee. Very raw in the nose.

Taste is what I have always desired of regular Guiness Draught, that same creamy texture, with dry hop flavor, but kicked up several notches. Hints of sweet chocolate, and roasted malt flavors. Higher ABV warms the throat as you drink and is welcomed to the mix.

Like this a lot, why is this not on tap in every bar in Boston? Time to start a revolution.

Freshie, Jun 01, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Aggressive pour yields 2 fingers of pillowy dark tan head with stellar retention. Very dark brown/black liquid is not quite opaque. Very close to perfect.

S: Clean Euro-hop, coffee, chocolate, roasted grain, biscuit. Quite nice! Diverse and pleasant aroma.

T: Alcohol bouquet opens strong. Bitter roastiness comes through halfway in. Could use more body to balance hops/harshness.

M: A bit harsh and astringent. Dry; gin-like in bitterness. A bit sharply astringent maybe.

D: Pretty unique. Much better than "normal" Guinness. Much more assertive. I'd order another and buy again, but maybe not 6.

dfillius, Jun 01, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +2%

I don't care what anyone says, I love Guinness and it really started me liking beers and introduced me to craft beers.

The appearance is like no other. The cascading effect is a work of art, truly to be witnessed. Dark black, solid head that never dissipates.

Smell is roasted coffee and dark bitter chocolate.

Taste has a bitter aftertaste. Dark chocolate that reminds me of easter for some reason (?), burnt coffee. Great flavor!

Mouthfeel to me is perfect. Smooth smooth smooth, goes down super easy. If served slightly warmed (not straight from the fridge) it's perfect.

Overall, definitely one of my favorite stouts. Easy to get on tap everywhere. I don't care if this is considered
"stout lite", this is my go-to when I don't see a great variety at a bar and I love it!

Northsider, Jun 01, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -35.4%

Gigantic tan head that stays forever. Jet black beer, can't see through it at all, even when held up to light.

Smells malty, a little sour smell liked mashed grain left to ferment. I'm not particularly fond of the smell - though I don't dislike it that much.

That slight sourness stays through in the taste. It's a slight, but noticeable difference from most stouts. This also isn't as bitter as most stouts. The "roasted" flavor isn't as dominant as I'd expect. It might be that the extra hops are balancing things out more than in other Guinness.

I wouldn't have another. It's unique, can't recall another stout like this, but it's just not my cup of tea.

jar2574, May 29, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours from the 11.2 oz bottle an extremely dark brown (almost black) color with a giant, thick, foamy tan head that conjures up images of a root beer float. Can only guess at the carbonation level at this point, since there's no seeing through the darkness. Aroma is of dark unsweetened chocolate & black coffee, but it's surprisingly and somewhat disappointingly faint. 1st sip brings a smooth, creamy gift of the aforementioned chocolate and coffee, with a dose of heavily roasted (almost "burnt") malt. there's also a hint of smokiness with a heavy dose of hops bitterness on the back end that lingers on the swallow. Mouthfeel is smooth and robust without being overly heavy. Overall, a beer that is well worthy of its legendary status.

CJfromPhilly, May 28, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from an 11.2 fl oz bottle into a pint glass. 26/06/11.

Appearance: Pours that good old black oil body with a HUGE toffee-colored head. This will not fit in my pint glass - need to back off a bit. Head is thick, soapy and bready. Lot's of thick lacing.

Smell: I noticed that sharp roasted malt smell of Guinness Extra Stout that took me back to my college days as soon as I opened the bottle. That smell was never the same in a Guinness Draft - I'm glad it's here in the Foreign Extra Stout. Slightly sweet alcohol smell.

Taste: A lot more sweet chocolately and toffee-flavored than Guinness Extra Stout. I am trying to taste the "extra hops" that are mentioned on the label, but I only taste the overpowering bitterness of the roasted malts. Can definitely taste the warming from the extra alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but not as thick or creamy as a Guinness Draft. Little carbonation as expected. This is a macho stout!

Overall: Quite the break from the ordinary. Certainly the beer for you if you're looking to "turbo" your regular Guinness experience...

JednoPivoProsim, May 26, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +2%

A: I poured this sucker hard for sure! Perhaps too hard even. I summoned up about a 3-4 + finger beige head that stuck around for a good while. My what a sharp transition from the liquid to the froth...

S: Mild, pleasant puffs of roasted barley. It almost had kind of a "smoked meat" scent.

T: VERY smooth.... I noticed this right off the bat. Medium bodied, with a bit of a dark chocolate bite, roasty, and with a slightly bitter finish.

M: Low carbonation, somewhat ridiculous lacing, and about 3x sweeter than the standard Guinness draught that we drink here in the USA.

O: I liked this one. I've had better Foreign Extras, but this one was worthy and I'd have it again in a heartbeat.

Chaney, May 19, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

Pitch black, big light brown head slowly shrinking to lasting foamy thin top, nice lace. It’s a beautiful beer.

Aroma is caramelized & burnt prunes, rich sweet brown bread, caramelized coffee hint, wet leaves, molasses, wine, dry bread crust.

Taste is sweet up front with dry roasty-leafy woody bitterness building and then lingering. It has caramelized coffee and burnt fruits, rum, black pepper, light sour fruit element, but it is mostly sweet and then bitter-sweet. It’s excellent and very drinkable, with good, well-rounded character and some complexity.

Offa, May 17, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured a deep dark reddish brown with a five finger very fluffy tan head that subsided to two fingers very slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, apples, and subtle chocolate. The flavor was of sweet malt, wood, caramel, milk chocolate, subtle peat, and very very slight fruit. It had a heavy feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty nice brew. WAY better than its American counter-part. Really surprised at this one and really glad I got a chance to try it. I just don't understand why the one we usually get tastes so bad as this one is a completely different brew in my opinion. Will be buying more...

thagr81us, May 16, 2011

In a pint glass this beer was black, very black, with a thick cafe-au-lait head. A bit on the sticky side.
Roasted malt aroma, some dark chocolate.
Strong espresso taste, a little smoky. Some dark chocolate.
Very dry.
Compared to the usual Guinness, this is hands down the superior beer.

lordofthewiens, May 16, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -11.5%

A: black, opaque, tan colored head, heavy lacing, nice head retention

S: sweet,heavy caramel, mocha

T: chocolate up front, intense caramel and toffee character, a little heavy on the sweetness, lots of flavor, aftertaste features a bit of bitter chocolate alone with caramel sweetness

Mf: thick body, low carb

O: flavorful brew, a little too heavy on the sweetness

homebrew311, May 15, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -1%

Picked this up on a whim as I saw it as a single in a local place. Poured into a tulip glass.

Beer is quite dark and has a nice thin wispy tan head.

The smell almost reminds me of butterscotch in a good way it is very faint.

The taste is almost has a burnt chocolate or coffee taste but agin not a put down really nice.

The feel is similar leave a nice little aftertaste after a sip.

Overall nice to finally have this and good to see it available here in the us.

Casey10, May 13, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Beautiful pour with enormous dark tan head, and black body that looks a bit brownish when held to lightsource. Nose is very enticing with some caramel, coffee grounds, and black forest cake. Palate is sweeter than expected, almost roasty-jammy, with some chocolate in the mix. Heavier bodied than expected too, though still fairly drinkable.

yemenmocha, May 05, 2011
Guinness Foreign Extra Stout from Guinness Ltd.