Guinness Foreign Extra Stout - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Foreign Extra StoutGuinness Foreign Extra Stout

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-30-2001

Foreign Extra Stout is brewed with generous hops and roasted barley for a bittersweet balance and full-flavored, natural bite. Developed for global export from Ireland, the addition of extra hops ensured this Stout would arrive in perfect condition. Today it is enjoyed by millions around the world.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,134 | Reviews: 829
3.76/5  rDev -7.4%

Wow. After years of bashing the Guinness Stout we all know, I decided to try the Foreign Extra version, having read some good things about it. I was not disappointed. This is so very different from what I've come to think of as Guinness Stout that I am simply floored. This is astonishingly good. Bravo, Guinness.

A - Pours jet black with a crazy tan head and lacing that continues to coat the glass all the way down.

S - Not a whole lot going on here, since roasted malts don't really contribute much to aroma. Charcoal. A little pungency.

T - Slight sourness, burnt toast. That sounds bad, but it's not. I'm just at a loss to describe what I am tasting. It's just plain good.

M - Great body. Creamy. Just thick enough, just thin enough. Nice.

D - At 7.5% ABV, I could probably only drink two of these in a 1- to 2-hour period, but this stout is very drinkable given the potency of the brew.

If you've had Guinness Stout in the past and have not tried Guinness Foreign Extra, you've probably observed that the former is overrated. This is not that beer. Try Guinness Foreign Extra and then ask yourself, "Why did they even bother with the other version?"

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Introductory notes: Needed to see what the fuss was about ... newly available in the US, and previously only available places like the Brit VI. I remember once being told that this is the beer that guiness makes that's good. This is the good guiness. This is the reason they shouldn't be dismissed. I'll confess, most people hate it and it definitely isn't something I pretty much ever buy, but I don't hate Guiness as it is. Regardless, they were right. This is the Good Guiness. It is complex. I am enjoying this beer. Quite a bit, really.

The usual rigmarole:
Ok, so, lets start at the pour. it's thick, and develops a pretty good tan head (even on the brown side, I'll say.) It vanishes to a film on top of the it's thick black body. Though the heavy body and darkness makes it pretty opaque, catch some light through a corner and you can tell it does have good clarity, and is ruddy and very dark brown.

The smells comes through being as much dark fruit as grain and that's one of the first thing that hits the taste, too. The taste also hits with some fig or date,, which is really nice, and some burnt sugar ... a molasses, or maybe caramel even. The burnt notes come out and lend to its final dryness. Down right bitter on the aftertaste. It's a distant relative to yerdaddysguiness, but they are related.

Feels pretty nice, but as you might expect, it is heavy. Not syrup heavy, but its heavy. I wouldn't make it an every day beer, but I might buy this once in a while. It would balance the spice of jerk nicely, but I suspect that attitude is biased based on its history.

I end with one thing: I am now glad its in the US market.

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Dark brown-black pour, with a monster-sized, foamy tan head. Really great pour.

S: Smoky, sour malt, roasted coffee, yeasty.

T: Roasted barley, smoke, sour malt, tangy, nicely hopped finish with a good level of bitterness.

M: Soft, gently carbonated, well-balanced.

D: Excellent. I really enjoyed this and will certainly try it again. I grew up on Guinness but don't drink a lot of it anymore, as I find the standard draught just so-so and the extra only slightly better. The FES is definitely going to find it's way into my fridge again.

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Wow I really never saw this beer coming. I've heard great things about this beer and I've been dying to try it myself.

A: Pours a black really nice tan head and great lacing.

S: While its a bit lacking it it still well above average. I get a sweetness off the nose that I can't get over. Really inviting.

T: I love the hoppy sweetness right up front. Really tasty beer that. Finishes a little drier but makes you want to just keep sipping.

M: A tad bit thin but damn this is drinkable. I could easily have a few of these in a night and not think twice.

O: What a beer that came out of left field. I never thought I'd be this impressed with a guinness but I have been proven wrong. I'd highly recommend this to anyone!

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

A dark night in color with a nice light brown 2 finger head and lacing to stay. The smell is dark fruit, sticky sweet molasses and faint alcohol.
The molasses and dark fruit comes through on the palate along with espresso, with a somewhat dry finish, although there is enough roasted malt presence to keep it from being dry throughout.
This is is nice stout and to me better than the traditional Guiness bottled stout. However, I still prefer an American stout like Obsidian from Deschutes or Big Bear Black Stout from Bear Republic.

4.11/5  rDev +1.2%

This beer is like chocolate puddin! I was lucky enough to discover a can of this in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica. It pours just as you'd expect, like a dark motor oil. A tan/yellow frothy head and a dark "black hole" color.

It tastes like an incredibly rich version of the Extra Stout. It's has exactly what the US domestic version is missing. This beer is luscious.

It's not what I'd call "drinkable" though. You'll catch a nice buzz off the first pint and you don't exactly want to follow it with 5 more.

Regardless of the poor drinkability factor, have one sometime. If you're into dark stouts, you'll totally dig this one.

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Served in a tuliped Guinness pint glass.

Appearance: Typical of a stout. Dark through the body with brown and red hues lacing the edges. The head pours a medium tan. Looks good but it seems to die-off pretty quick. Lacing is not particularly impressive.

Smell: Stouty. A little roasty but not too much. A few hints of dry, woody tones? I dunno pretty much like the normal extra stout but there is something here I'm not used to. Reminds me of bananas?

Taste: I can taste those awkward notes in the body of the beer too. Shouldn't be skunked, never had a problem at this store before. A bit of dry roastiness kicks through the back though this brew is decidedly less dry than the normal extra stout. An improvement except for whatever the weirdness is thats running through it.

Mouthfeel: Very good. A bit bigger and creamer than the extra stout without being dominating.

Drinkability: Also good, if not a bit unremarkable. You certainly can't taste the alcohol. Suffers from the awkward taste profile but its totally manageable, no prob.

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Coming from a non-Guinness drinker, this was not a bad beer. The flavor was almost too much for me at the beginning, but after drinking a couple, I was alright with it. The sweet malty flavors really come a live in your belly and fill you up. Compared to your basic, everyday Guinness, the carmel flavors are much more apparent in the Foreign Extra. I considered this my after dinner desert and drank it straight from the bottle, as there were no glasses availablet to me. As you can imagine, the color is dark as night. I recommend this, especially for any skeptical drinkers who typically pass on Guinness.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance
Very deep, dark ruby in the light, to a black in lower light. A tan head which pillows as it gives way to a fine bubbly layer.

Smell
Quite a bit of dark fruits, like raisin and fig, which are immediately apparent. A sort of coffee liqueur is noticeable as well as some roasty malt. The raisin and tobacco scent, almost reminds me of the smell of the end of an unlit Marlboro light.

Taste
Very malty, with a good deal of roasted character. Chocolaty and coffee notes are also dominant. There is a breadiness that pairs well with the very mild acidity. Even in the finish some hops can be detected, so there is a wide range of flavors for this category.

Mouthfeel
Due to the carbonation as opposed to the nitro can of the draught, this offering from Guinness is less creamy and has more bite. However this is not a bad thing, as the stronger flavors seem to be intensified by the bite of the carbonation.

Drinkability
Obviously there aren't many stouts that one will sit down and willingly pound 6 of in a session, however for the style this beer is quite easy to down.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

picked up a 4 pack today for 8.99 and shared one with my girlfriends dad(we each had an entire bottle) chilled in the fridge for a good 2 hours, poured into a Guinness pint glass

appearance - black, when held to the light could get a hint of brown but if i had to id still say it was a light black, 1 finger head, good lacing on the glass

smell - smelled of alcohol, malt, and a bit of chocolate, no other distinct smells

taste - i have now had 4 different types of guinness out of bottles and this one by far is the best to me, no longer had the watery flavor that i associated with guinness after having other stouts, started off with a nice malty, mildly chocolate and maybe a mild coffee if i had to stretch for it and a mildly boozy flavor, still a bit watery but a pleasant amount, very refreshing flavor

mouthfeel - thinner than i thought it would be based off the initial flavor but it matched the beer nicely, something that i could drink a few watching a game without feeling weighed down but still let me know i had a stout

drinkability - it went down smooth, tasted good, and since guinness was my first favorite beer this holds a place in my heart as reminiscent of simpler times but with a more developed flavor for a more developed palate, could easily drink all day and not feel as if i deprived myself of a great beer flavor

3.87/5  rDev -4.7%

A- Poured a motor oil type colour, dark brown to pitch black. Head was nice and creamy looking and sunk down to a thin lacing.

S- Much heavier coffee smell than regular Guinness draught. Also some bitter hop smell is detectable, along with the distinct heavy roasted malt smell.

T- The coffee flavour is quite strong, along with the dark malts. Both come in the flavour first, which then develops into a very bitter taste that was much stronger than expected.

D- Quite nice, the bitter flavour is quite nice, but I believe it could be better. The coffee flavour blends into the bitterness, but I think it could blend smoother, some sips it seemed quite harsh.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Damn. First time I've had a non 4.2 ABV Guinness. Appearance is black like the night. Two finger head that didn't hold up too long, I'll blame the 7.5 ABV. Some lacing. Smells of caramel, toffee, coffee. Taste of chocolate, caramel and coffee. Mouthfeel is lively carbonation, not too heavy, smooth. Overall, its pretty damn good for a stout. First Export I can think of trying.

4.31/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Wow, I must admit that I was not expecting this. There is a dark chocolaty flow into my glass with a lovely whipped mocha head. The flavor is of hint of a stale dark roast and a yummy tobacco. I feel that my mouth i content while it goes away pretty quickly leaving a weird feeling that make you want to take another sip asap. This is worth it weight in gold, or atleast coffee.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Let me just preface this by saying that I ain't a fan of the normal Guinness. I saw this upon walking in to my neighborhood store and looking for something else entirely. When this brew met my gaze, I was so goddamn surprised I couldn't contain myself. I had wanted to taste this for almost as many years as I've been able to legally drink.

I was not let down with the taste, drinkabilty, smell, or what ever else. This was one that we should have had in this country long, long before. I'm sure they missed out on a lot of profit by holding this back from the U.S. They should have seen the boom in micros a long time ago and taken notice.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

This is definitely the best Guinness I have ever had. I am a fan of all things Guinness, so I was surprised when I was on a research trip to a remote town called Hopkins Village, and was able to get Guinness in a bottle! Belize is hot and humid, but drinking this beer did not feel out of place, even on the hottest days.

A: Dark, thick. Pours thick head when forced, but the head dissipates rapidly. Best to just drink from the bottle.
S: Malt comes through. Very faint hops.
T: Absolutely delicious. Slightly sweet, rich. Not overpowering.
M: Rich. This will wash the sand out of your mouth without killing your palate.
D: Very drinkable. I lived off of this and Belikin Stout for over a month during a very hot July.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

A-Seriously dark brown, no transparency with a Rich tan head.

S-Slightly sweet with that traditional roasted/woody stout aroma.

T-Caramel and yeast contribute to the bitterness of the stout in a pleasant and not overpowering way.

M-The sweetness upfront gives way to the bitter like a dry stout should. In no way is it too heavy or thick.

D-It is that standard. It kicks up the flavour and complexity of a simpler stout without sacrificing the relaxing qualities or make something overly intense like many Imperial styles do.

4.06/5  rDev 0%

Recommended to me by a local beer retailer. He'd enjoyed it a couple times while in the Caribbean and was excited to stock it at his store.

A- Pours dark black with a thick deep tan head

S- Roasty and malty scent, piercing.

T- Sweet and slightly bitter, coffee-like. A bit chocolatey.

M- Low carbonation, medium-body. Finishes quite dry.

D- I wish everyone would switch out their Guinness lines for this. Give people a taste for a real stout. Great flavor but the dryness might hold it back as it wears on the palate.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Review from Thanksgiving. Poured into a Corsendonk tulip.

A: Poured pitch black with a light mocha head. The head was 4 fingers thick, with amazing retention. This is the thickest head that I've seen coming from a stout. There was a good amount of lacing throughout the cup as I drank the beer.

S: Very very strong and upfront roasted malts. This was very pleasing to me, got my mouth watering almost instantly. Also with this malts was a hint of some chocolate.

T: Tastes follow the smell. Very strong taste of malts with a chocolatey back hint. No bitterness at all and the after taste is mostly malt. A very very faint hint of hops in there as well. I can only pick this taste up every now and then. A very tasty session beer.

M: Medium bodied and goes down well. Medium carbonation as well.

D: Can drink this any time of day and would be able to drink many of these before losing it. Would highly recommend to many others.

4.79/5  rDev +18%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Oh my god.
I've waited 8 years for this beer, and it didn't disappoint.
This thing pours pitch black with a tan head that fades into a long lasting thin tan head. The nose is a big snort of creamy roasty sweet fruitiness. Surprisingly more fruity than anything. Has that classic Guinness funk, but at a little bit higher levels.
The flavor is nice and sweet with the same fruit but also with a load of dark chocolate and dried cherry, finishing roasty and surprisingly dry. The body is thick and luscious without any heavy cloying quality. The finish is slightly acidic and calls you back for more.
Amazing, just absolutely amazing.

pending pending pending pending pending

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is fantastic! I recommend savoring it. Compare it to the extract brewed Guinness Extra and you will see the difference: Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

I am glad to finally be able to regularly drink Guinness in the US that was made in Ireland.

If you like a dry stout and if you like the character imparted by roasted barley, then this beer is for you.

4.34/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured into a 20oz 'pint' glass...

a: khaki colored foam, fluffy and tall. black colored opaque liquid.

s: dark toast, licorice, demi-glace, sweet cola, french roast coffee.

t: heavy roast, espresso, char. bitter astringency you expect from a stout.

m: pour it correctly you will have a low carbonated brew. mouth coating. light astringency lingers.

o: this is a bigger version of guinness stout. however it is easy to drink and goes well in colder months or a night capper with a creme brulee or sweet dessert. very enjoyable.

4.84/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Aroma of Dark Cherry, Chocolate, Coffee, Cocoa, Barley Malts and Cream. What Guinness should taste like. Very fruity and leaves your tastebuds dancing. The best from the guinness range in my opinion.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into Guinness stout glass.
Appearance: Pours dark black, creates huge chunky, frothy head that stands its ground...about 4 fingers... after classic and awesome cascading that comes from dry stouts (especially Guinness)...commence the mouth watering.

Smell: Roasty malts and slight alcohol.

Taste: Sweet, creamy, slightly chocolate maybe.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth yet thick and delicious.

O: My faith had been faltering with Guinness but this Foreign Extra far exceeds any other they produce. Great example of the Irish dry and at 7.5% its a solid brew/buy. I saw that it used to not be available, I'm glad its here now.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter.

Color: Dark with a nut-brown head.

Aroma: Coffe-like

Taste: The beer had a nice smooth, dark, coffee, nutty, taste.

Finish: The finish was also smooth, I would have rated it higher, but the high alcohol content came through a little in the finish.

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout from Guinness Ltd.