Guinness Foreign Extra Stout - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Foreign Extra StoutGuinness Foreign Extra Stout

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-30-2001

Foreign Extra Stout is brewed with generous hops and roasted barley for a bittersweet balance and full-flavored, natural bite. Developed for global export from Ireland, the addition of extra hops ensured this Stout would arrive in perfect condition. Today it is enjoyed by millions around the world.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

3.25/5  rDev -20%

Serving: 12oz bottle poured into a Sam Smith’s nonic pint glass

A: Dark brown on the pour; mahogany highlights flicker through the edges of the pint glass; decent head – khaki colored, two fingers in depth, and retention is solid.

S: Much amplified over the original Guinness Draught, or even the Extra Stout for that matter; huge roasted maltiness plays up bursts of fresh coffee grounds, charred toast, bittersweet dark chocolate, powdered cocoa, and an earthy, smoky note (charcoal?)

T: Roasted flavors dominate throughout, beginning with burnt flavors – like a slice of burnt toast, with that charred edge crumbling off – before the sharpness of the char is eases off, leaving flavors of fresh black coffee and roasted barley; the middle sees a moderating sweetness push through, with powdered cocoa, caramel and a flash of dark fruit working to soften the acrid coffee bite; finish introduces a mellower, earthy/nutty note that dries out alongside the long-lingering canvas of roasted flavor.

M: Slightly more than medium-bodied; good carbonation remains balanced throughout, supporting the transitioning from roasted bitterness to smooth sweetness to the drying finish.

O: A nice change of pace from the traditional Guinness Draught; this beer is more brooding, more complex in its roasted characteristics, and much more potent at 7.5% ABV, yet still retains that smooth, easy-to-drink status that Guinness is renowned for.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

A: 1/2" light brown head that dissipated quickly and left a nice lacing over black/cola liquid.

S: Semi sweet caramel, roasted barley and toasted malt.

T: Delicious. Toasted malt, roasted barley, and some coffee notes. Somewhat yeasty with a burnt and bittersweet aftertaste that lingers with flavours of figs and raisins.

M: Medium viscosity with a creamy mouthfeel and a medium level of fine carbonation.

O: Very nice, a creamy and bitter treat.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.06/5  rDev 0%

A: Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Vigorous pour yields a pitch black beer with a huge, creamy, coffee-colored head. I feel as though I could scrape the head off the beer and it could
be a cookie or a biscuit. Drops lacing throughout. Looks perfect.

S: Smells sweet with dark fruit, chocolate and coffee with a little bit of hops in the back.

T: Starts off with a light fruitiness, then chocolate and coffee flavors come in and stick around. Dry, bitter-char finish with a kiss of hops. Really nice.

M: Full body with fine carbonation. Nice.

O: Guiness's best offering by far. Delicious.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into a snifter from a bottle.

A- thin tan head with a dark dark brown appearance.

S- coffee, dark fruits, malt.

T- coffee, roasted malt, chocolate, toffee, no alcohol present.

M- thick creamy mouthfeel with little carbonation.

O- I'm not a big fan of Guinness but my name is Kevin and I have a red beard so I feel obligated to find an Irish beer that I like. I have had regular Guinness and was not to impressed. I bought this beer on a whim and came home to see that it had good reviews. I wanted a good beer to drink on St. Patty's and this might make the cut.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Let me just preface this by saying that I ain't a fan of the normal Guinness. I saw this upon walking in to my neighborhood store and looking for something else entirely. When this brew met my gaze, I was so goddamn surprised I couldn't contain myself. I had wanted to taste this for almost as many years as I've been able to legally drink.

I was not let down with the taste, drinkabilty, smell, or what ever else. This was one that we should have had in this country long, long before. I'm sure they missed out on a lot of profit by holding this back from the U.S. They should have seen the boom in micros a long time ago and taken notice.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

12oz bottle into a medium-sized Duvel tulip. Thanks to Hopstoopid120 for tossing one of these my way.

A: Pitch black body topped by a solid finger of creamy light-brown head. Great retention and sticky lace. Lovely.

S: Amazingly aromatic, with spicy and floral overtones atop some herbal and chocolatey notes. Not as malty as I'd like from a stout, but rather amazing.

T: Spicy up front, with dark chocolate, bitter hops, green herbs, and earthy coffee grounds. It's bright and dark all at the same time, with a long coffee-tinged finish. Perhaps a bit more bitter than I'd like, but extremely interesting and quite good.

M: Creamy, lively medium body. Definitely a touch too bubbly, but fine.

O: I really, really liked this beer. I love that a major brewer like Guinness isn't afraid to imbue a beer with serious individuality. Seriously, this doesn't taste anything like any other beer, and it has WAY more character than any 7.5% stout I can think of. Terrific.

Cheers!

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout from Guinness Ltd.