Guinness Foreign Extra Stout - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Foreign Extra StoutGuinness Foreign Extra Stout

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.50% ABV

Foreign Extra Stout is brewed with generous hops and roasted barley for a bittersweet balance and full-flavored, natural bite. Developed for global export from Ireland, the addition of extra hops ensured this Stout would arrive in perfect condition. Today it is enjoyed by millions around the world.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout Alström Bros

4.29/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Wow, I must admit that I was not expecting this. There is a dark chocolaty flow into my glass with a lovely whipped mocha head. The flavor is of hint of a stale dark roast and a yummy tobacco. I feel that my mouth i content while it goes away pretty quickly leaving a weird feeling that make you want to take another sip asap. This is worth it weight in gold, or atleast coffee.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

2.25/5  rDev -44.6%

4.75/5  rDev +17%

2.75/5  rDev -32.3%

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.19/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I generally do not succumb to cult classic beers that just are nothing at all special without the hype. Yuengleng, Fat Tire, PBR... please. Guinness however is a bit of an exception. I'm fully on board with the allure of the Guinness folklore, even though I know what's fact and what's myth. Guinness in general is something I drink when I want a decent beer to throw back in large quantities, and not consume a days worth of calories on beer in the process. I want to be clear that I know this is not going to be on par with my favorite microbrews, but I still am excited about this previously unavailable and mysterious selection.

it's appearance is a dark, yet vaguely translucent cola hue, with a thick head of creamy foam. Absolutely incredible lacing as it goes down too! The aroma is very, very promising. I am picking up raisins, figs, dark cherries, nuts, toasted bread, and creaminess all intermingled nicely. Now for a taste... Very pleasantly 'roasty,' as the style suggests, with brown sugar, and a noticeable bitter hop presence as well. This beer is light years beyond Guinness Draught & Guinness Extra Stout in the full flavor dept, and not much more in calories. As it warms a bit I notice more of a smokiness and prominent sweet raisin aspect, which are great characteristics. The mouthfeel is light and The alcohol effect is slightly warming. One negative thing I have to say is I get an occasional oxidation off-flavor in the finish. Maybe it's just this bottle. I may edit this out of the review if it does not occur in tasting the rest of the package.

Overall though, I am astonished at how good this is for a commercial offering.

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout from Guinness Ltd.