Guinness Foreign Extra Stout - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Foreign Extra StoutGuinness Foreign Extra Stout

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-30-2001

Foreign Extra Stout is brewed with generous hops and roasted barley for a bittersweet balance and full-flavored, natural bite. Developed for global export from Ireland, the addition of extra hops ensured this Stout would arrive in perfect condition. Today it is enjoyed by millions around the world.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,133 | Reviews: 829
4.74/5  rDev +16.7%

"6.5% Alcohol. Brewed in Kingston Jamaica. Best By Mar 2007" (oops)

Gorgeous. Like herbal single orgin chocolate. Complete, complex and alluring. On the palate it is quite tart up front, like sinewy vine sap (from hops, I gather). Then this releases its grip to reveal toasty fine bitterness. Throughout there is an effusive display of sweet herbs, pomegranate, black grapes, vanilla and coffee. Winey. Food beer. Perfectly weightless. Unexpectedly refreshing and complex. This is not milquetoast, childish beer.

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A really good stout, of the mass produced, probably one of the best.

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance: Pitch black body with dark tan head.
Aroma: Sweet charred malt aroma.
Taste: Slightly sweet large amounts of elegant bitterness. Alcohol noticeable but only to the degree that it balances the bitterness. More coffee than chocolate, but hugely complex in any case.
Mouthfeel: This is a big boned, super slick beer.
Notes: Although, not the strongest beer in the Guinness line-up (that would be the one for Belgian export at 8%), this is a full strength lovely beer.

4.71/5  rDev +16%

Poured into a Budweiser Pint Glass, don't jugde me...

Appearance-Black body with a 3 finger frothy mocha head. Head slowly dissipates into a thin creamy head and leaves some amazing soapy sticky lacing. Not sure how much better a beer can look.

Smell-Roasted malts. Smells sweet with some dark fruits. Get some light hop aroma as well. Light chocolate and vanilla notes.

Taste-Shockingly complex and absolutely delicous. Huge sweet toffee up front. Followed by some chocolate, vanilla and dark fruits. Then suprisingly I got some citrusy hops at the backend ends with a smooth velvety sweet malty finish.

Mouthfeel-Creamy, Smooth, coats the tongue completely. Medium to Full bodied with perfect carbonation.

Overall-This beer is outstanding. To think that I've had so many Guinness' in my lifetime and never had the foreign extra that's available to me. This is a top notch Stout. Drinkable, Tasty, Complex, and smooth. It's just an outstanding beer, and my biggest suprise of 2011 thus far.

4.71/5  rDev +16%

Pouring a muddy brown, sweet notes of burnt brown sugar and coffee waft off the very dirty head, backed by an almost meaty undertone. On the tongue, a surprisingly complex balance is maintained: the extra hops attack up front, receding quickly as the brown sugar kicks in, a bit cream...followed by the coffee, earthy and gritty, and completed with a slightly dry finish reminiscent of Guinness Draught...all delivered with a full mouthfeel that satisfies like the act of chewing jerky.

I have to admit, I wasn't expecting much with this one, but I'm very pleasantly surprised as it's rapidly risen of the ranks of my favorite beers. Not really a session beer, as it's quite complex and demands you attention, but perfect now and again, either on it's own (perhaps a third beer to wake up a numbing tongue), or with a heavy, meaty dish (including jerky). Cheers!

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: Pours a dark pitch-black hue with a thick, dark brown, 4-finger head that slowly dissipates, leaving a great trail down the glass, and ending in a solid persistent lace.

S: Toasted malt aromas with a chocolate and coffee overtones and a hoppy background.

T: Equally sweet and bitter with toasted malt flavor. Chocolate and coffee background with an alcoholic zip and a hoppy finish.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Awesome stout – what every stout should strive to be. Soo smooth and tasty.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

My sister-in-law brought me one from Dublin.

Look - nearly black, oily, nice off-white creamy head.
Smell - tobacco, lots of barley, Guinness (duh), cream, coffee.
Taste - tastes a lot more like "regular" Guinness than I thought it would. A little more bitter and hoppy. Very balanced and slightly more complex.
Feel - smooth as a baby's bottom, velveety and creamy.
Overall - As a huge Guinness fan, I'd rank this #1 of the 3 I've had in the portfolio. #2 would be (the ubiquitous) Guinness Draught and #3 The (original/regular) Extra Stout

4.69/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A truly excellent brew. "Chewy" as as GREAT stout should be.

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

Okay, the wait was worth it. I remember inquiring about this at the Foodery in Philly more than 5 years ago and was disappointed to find out that the US didn't get this.

Had the more ubiquitous export stouts: Lion, Dragon, etc. Anyway, this has been the best of the style I've experienced so far.

Nearly flawless pour - coal black, a voluminous mocha-shaded head - lasting, creamy, dimpled - that leaves handsome drapes of lacing - as much as one associates a thick, creamy, dense head with Guinness (Draught) - this may be why I hesitate to give perfect marks to the look (but it's damn close). Moving on, the aroma is surprisingly not as rich the flavor - just lightly bitter/roasty and sweet, yet naturally appealing. My oh my, does this taste and drink wonderfully! The bitterness kicks up a couple notches, though never coming off biting or feeling astringent. There is a light, smooth acidity that lingers from a moderate-strength roasty foundation - but just a soft touch. Instead of chocolate flavors (which I was half expecting), I found subtle vanilla notes, starting in the tail of the middle through the finish. Delightful. Add to all of this some molasses flavors and light viscosity and an almost perfect mid-range degree of body, and this is a thoroughly well-balanced, highly enjoyable export stout - and one of the best no-frills, stronger stouts I've had. Says a lot. Again, worth it.

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance: Pours black with a big creamy brown head that lasts, tons of lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt, coffee, pumpernickel bread, hints of sweetness and anise.

Taste: Roasted malt, coffee, toffee, hints of pumpernickel, sweetness, and anise. There's a flavor in there that I can't quite identify, but seems to be common in Irish and English stouts and porters. Rather complex.

Mouthfeel: Full body, medium carbonation, slightly dry finish.

Overall: Leaves me wanting more! I love this beer, glad it is easily available in the US now. Probably one of my favorite stouts, but I might be a bit biased since Guinness Draught is what got me into beer. But it still is great too.

Also, this is my first review with the "Overall" category, so I slightly changed my format, combining my "drinkability" and "overall" parts.

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

So glad this one finally made it to the US. Even though I do find it a bit watery, I like Guinness draught as a session beer. This puts it to shame though. All the best qualities of a roasty stout with a nice hoppy finish. Very sneaky ABV. Could have about 2 before I would need a nap.

A: dark as night with a thick dark head
S: roasty and sweet
T: Chocolate, dark roasted coffee at first then getting hoppy and sweet in a perfect balance. Really great aftertaste.
M: Just right. Not too bubbly or too flat.

Overall one of my favorite beers of all time. Get it!

Great bottle and story too.

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

It's really great when you can take a classic and make some improvements on it (except for the butterscotch thing which I just can't abide). Poured with a mammoth, thick, foamy, frothy, fluffy, billowy, light tan head that lasts forever and lots of clingy lace. Color is an opaque black brown. Aroma is a complex array of roast, malt, acid, butterscotch, masculine scents. Flavor is similar to nose with very little sweetness; bitterness and tang dominate with some butterscotch, malt, roast, barest hint of toffee and sweetness. Man, this is dry irish stout! Body is perfect and so is carbonation for the style. Finish is like flavor and some coffee and cocoa show up - fairly long. An alternate to a world classic for the far flungs markets of Diageo.

4.67/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Exceptional, the best mass produced stout in the world in my opinion

4.67/5  rDev +15%

I drank several of these over the course of the day in Nassau, The Bahamas. I had it both in bottles and cans, but this review is from notes I took at the Hard Rock Cafe from a bottle. Pours a solid black color with very dark brown highlights on the edge of the glass developing no noticeable head or lacing in the frozen pint into which it was poured. Aroma of toffee, roasted coffee, dark chocolate, dark fruit and red grapes. Flavor is pretty on par with the nose. A noticeable red grape skin flavor, raisins, dates, dark brown sugar, light coffee and chocolate flavor and a nice hop bitterness on the finish. Very complex and tasty. Creamy on the tongue with a nice bite at the end. While I did manage to put back quite a few of these over the course of the day (they were only $2.40 for single cans and bottles) the 7.5% alcohol can catch up to you. Very delicious and the best Guinness beer I've had to date.

Best beer in the Bahamas, hands down.

4.67/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This Foreign Extra brought me back to when I first enjoyed a dark brew which was Schlizt Dark Draught. I have loved dark brews ever since that time. This Extra has a good character and was balanced well. Very less heavy than regular Guinness draught. Can not mention anything about lacing as I just enjoyed it in the bottle. I had this brew in Shenzhen China and will try to get a local pub to get it here in FL. I really like this Guinness Foreign Extra!

Exceptionally good stout!

A-Pitch black pour with a tan head.

S-Very heavy malt aroma as well as coffee. Also and earthy aroma alongside a woodsy background.

T-The taste wonderfully mirrors the aroma. Starts off with the roasted malts with turns into a coffee. Wood and smoke notes can also be detected.

M-Full and smooth.

D-Extremely well balanced. Has 7.5% alcohol hidden well. This is Guinness at it's best!

Highly recommended!

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Wow, I'm embarrased to say I had no idea how good Guinness could be. I have never really liked the swill they sell in the US market after having it countless times on tap and in the can and it would be rare that I would actually order it outside St. Patrick's Day. Guinness should really catch up with the beer craze in the US and send us some more of the "good stuff" and make a clear distiction of what your drinking.

Well about the beer, smells of raisin and slight charcol. The taste is very similar to dark (bitter) chocolate and has a satisfing thickness. There is actually some alcohol in this one-the perfect amount of warming alcohol. This brew makes me proud to be Irish.

P.S. I edited this review after having a few more of these and bump up the points. Guinness, "Make's you strong!"

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

A- a dark black color as you would expect from these guys.

S- Nice roasted malt and chocolate grips you right away. Has a bit of hop aroma integrated that is a preview of coming attractions

T- Roasted malts in the front of the beer with some bitterness. not what I expected but still a great combo of flavors.

M- full mouthfeel. Big rich mocha coffee notes on the palate.

D- Loved it. Can't wait to try it on draft.

(Served in a snifter) Best before L0232GF002 05:37
A- This beer pours a jet black body with a big chocolate tan head that separates a bit like the nitro poured Guinness. The body is to dark for any signs of carbonation and the head makes thick sand dunes with each sip until finally resting in the bottom of the glass after the beer is gone.
S- There are some rich black roasted malt with a slightly sweet almost tootsie roll quality behind it. There is an aroma that is not really sweaty and not really smoky or tart but has a lot of those qualities in there. The finish has a graham aroma and a chocolate malt richness.
T- The black roasted malt flavor is rich but mellow with a hop bitterness in the finish that blends with the black malt support. There is a faint smoky bacon quality to it as the beer warms. The roasted malt flavor has a slight green hop quality to it and a soft chocolate flavor and the roasted black malt finish is slightly dry.
M- This beer has a full creamy texture and no alcohol heat. D- There is not a great deal of depth but there are great flavors with a great about of hop support. The flavors and aromas are well blended and each sip makes me want to take another sip. When I think of classic stouts that are rich full and I could drink all day this is one of them.

4.63/5  rDev +14%

Appearance: Almost as good as Guinness Draught. Cascading bubbles swirl in the glass. Several inches of brown foam float at the top and excellent lacing remains in the glass. Color is pitch black, no questions asked.

Smell: Faint mineral water smell. Some coffee as well. It really isn't A+ amazing, but I give it a 4 due to the rustic feel overall, otherwise I'd say 3.5.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Exceptional flavor. Strong pine hops, something lacking in most stouts I've tried. Definitely coffee and chocolate malts. Nothing too fancy, but this beer gets the job done. Also very rustic feel, but still smooth like coffee with the carbonation.

Drinkability: There really is no better. A great sipper, but also something you can't stop drinking.

Overall: Just released in the U.S. for the first time in 90 years. Definitely make this your next beer. No question that it is the best Guinness out there.

4.63/5  rDev +14%

This is a stout that is close to perfection. A dark opague ebony dominates the appearance, with a dirty long lasting nitro head. A mixture of deep roasted coffee and vinegar mixed with hops give this ale a intimidating aroma. The chewy, full malty body offsets the addition of lactic acid and bittering hops. The result is a full body, roasted coffee, very bitter yet satisfying stout. One of the best on the market. A stout lover's paradise.

4.63/5  rDev +14%

My first GFES, so I'm pretty excited. Poured into a snifter.

A - picture perfect! To quote Chris Farley, this brew is blacker "than the inside of a coffin on a moonless night." The best part, though, is the awesome 1-inch thick off-white creamy head that sits atop. Looks absolutely beautiful!

S - slight chocolate first in, then coffee, some vanilla, roasted malts and a bit of hops in the back.

T - bitter-sweet chocolate and espresso right away, then a surprising hop bitterness. This is mellowed out by some semi-sweet malty goodness, then goes down smooth.

M - creamy, smooth, and lite with fantastic carbonation. Very well balanced and delicious.

D - the dryness and bitterness of the hops of this brew threw me for a loop at first (keep in mind that I've only had Guinness Draught Extra from bottles and tap up to this point, so I was expecting something a bit sweeter). However, I'm chalking that up to a very cold bottle when first poured. Now that its warmed up a little it's going down amazingly smooth! The 7.5% ABV is practically unnoticeable and I know I could easily put back a few of these on any given night.

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

When my mom took her most recent trip to Aruba, this beer was the souvenir I requested she bring back for me. And boy was it worth it. Bottle has a best before of 280205, but this beer is even better aged then when I first tried it in 2005.

Pitch black in color with mahogany hues at the bottom of the glass. Head pours thick and rocky, slowly dissipating to a beige sheet and leaving behind some sporadic lace.

Aroma of toasted malts, toffee, and rum along with some dark fruit.

Starts with some bitterness from the roasted malts and hops, which dries the tounge. Next malt flavors of bitter chocolate, dark roast coffee, and caramel come in and juice things up - making the mouth water. Hop bitterness combines nicely with the roasted malt flavors. Leaves you with some lingering dark fruit/raisin flavors, nuttiness, and a dry palate.

Full-bodied, and smooth ... very smooth. Kind of chewy. I've seen beers called chewy before and thought "How can that be?", but alas - I have found myself a chewy beer.

Very easy to drink, especially for a heavier stout. But watch out, unless you live in the tropics you will go through your stash way too quickly. Still have 2 more stashed away, but I think it is time to go and find a friend going to the Caribbean. Or book a trip myself. Such a shame this is not more easily available.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 4-pack in the Milford Whole Foods. Served in a Guinness pint glass.
First impression is impressive; incredibly dark, essentially opaque to light. Good-sized brown head that laces quite well as the drink goes down. The smell is fantastic; much more forward than the standard nitro Guinness we now get. The aroma brought be back to Ireland; the pub is where the family often got together back home and this is the smell I remember from my childhood!
The taste is highly enjoyable, with a strong burnt/roasted malt flavor that is well complimented by the taste of hops. Mouthfeel is a satisfying full one, with a fairly clean finish. Very drinkable for a fairly hight ABV; this is one of the best beers I've had in quite a while!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Much thanks to my roommate for bringing this back from his trip to Ireland for me. He picked it up at the Guinness brewery in Dublin, bottle says "brewed in Ireland."

Decanting this 330 mL bottle reveals a midnight black brew dominated by a light brown head. As the head dies down slightly, some heavy lacing coats my snifter. The aroma was much sweeter than I was expecting a Guinness to be. Some dark fruits coupled with caramel and possibly some molasses. Plenty of malt in the nose, with a really fantastic nuttiness. An extraordinary nose for an export stout. The flavor is very full, slightly reminescent of Guinness' Extra Stout, but with more depth. Up front, the taste is very robust - a nice presence of roasted barley and black malts, coffee is also apparent. Underneath this malty facade lies some nice bitter chocolate and caramel flavors. The robust malts eventually give way to a definite creaminess along with a hint of dark fruit sweetness. That creamy flavor leads into some spicy hops that help finish things off. Aftertaste is slightly hoppy, but mainly roasted dry. Mouthfeel is very full and almost chewy. Definitely the best offering from Guinness I've experienced.

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout from Guinness Ltd.