Guinness Foreign Extra Stout - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Foreign Extra StoutGuinness Foreign Extra Stout

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.50% ABV

Foreign Extra Stout is brewed with generous hops and roasted barley for a bittersweet balance and full-flavored, natural bite. Developed for global export from Ireland, the addition of extra hops ensured this Stout would arrive in perfect condition. Today it is enjoyed by millions around the world.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-30-2001)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout Alström Bros
funkel81

acdcsmith22

02-05-2014 02:51:56 | More by acdcsmith22
dbrauneis

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

A: Pours black with a finger tall tan head. Good head retention and moderate lacing.

S: Aromas of dark roasted malts and hints of coffee bitterness.

T: Dark malts, roasted malts, coffee bitterness, and a hint of toffee. Good balance.

M: Medium bodied with moderate to high amounts of carbonation. Dry finish.

O: Nice balance of malt sweetness and coffee bitterness. Easy to drink and quite sessionable.

02-18-2012 01:25:48 | More by dbrauneis
Lerxst

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

A-Pours black with a rocky two finger mocha colored head that has very good retention and leaves copious amounts of lace. Looks darn near perfect.

S-Roasted malt, bitter bakers chocolate, a touch of coffee, a slightly sour note as well.

T-Roasted malt, the bitter chocolate comes through here too, a slightly astringent and sour flavor as well, burnt toast and a hint of espresso.

M-Medium body, relatively low carbonation, seems slightly slick on initial swallow but then the back end finishes dry.

D-The chalky and astringent qualities make this a tough one for me to drink.

I had to try this but won't be buying it again. I'm sure many BA's will love it, but its just not for me.

12-14-2010 20:08:46 | More by Lerxst
gueuzeonhigh

Maine

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured with a very satisfying presentation-
Dark bible black color, frothy head that laced the glass.

The nose was diminutive- with a hint of hops some malt and perhaps a tinge of coffee.

Flavor was rather thing- I can't explain the hoopla over this beer.
Like it cousin the extra stout this is rather a thin light bodied stout. I'm told that "something happens" to Guinness when it's bottled and sent over "the pond"-- but I've never consider Guinness Extra Stout to be a standard of the brewing art.
And the same goes with the "Foreign"..

It hits me with a waft of bitter hops. But it's curious-- the hops flavor is rather one dimensional-- it's bitter but that's about all I can discern. Soon after realizing I've been assailed by hops bitterness the flavor dissipates and flees the flavor stage leaving a rather thin layer of toasted malt and a hit of coffee behind.

The mouthefeel is cordial-- but nothing that evolks nostalgia pangs in my memory..

Overall this beer is a satisfying brew, but given the option of numerous other Stouts-- I'd pass this particular brew by..

Over all I that it was ho-hum..

12-12-2011 00:57:43 | More by gueuzeonhigh
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

3.05/5  rDev -25.2%

Carib it would appear turn their hand to anything and everything. This product is one of their best.

275ml bottle (like all their other beers), best before May 2009, drank June 2008.

Poured into a half-pint tumbler on the hotel balcony. Looked just like a normal Guinness, dark and with a good deep tan head.

The aroma, taste and mouthfeel all seemed overly burnt. Dry and bitter with some caramel trying to be heard in the mix.

Rich, but not creamy, burnt malts ruled the brew and for some could have ruined it too.

07-08-2008 19:27:19 | More by BlackHaddock
MrMcGibblets

3.05/5  rDev -25.2%

this was a godsend when i was in st. lucia and limited to piton and heineken. i like this version much better than the smaller stuff we get stateside. bigger bodied, bigger taste, bigger mouthfeel. nice roasty finish to provide balance to the dark, sweet, complex malt character. a bit of grainy astringency. why they use fish bladder crap to clarify such a dark beer is my question.

12-31-2007 15:48:35 | More by MrMcGibblets
speter

3.05/5  rDev -25.2%

A: Pours a black-like deep ruby with a nice three-finger fluffy tan head that leaves an impressive amount of lace.

S: Roast barley and lactic acid. The lactic twang is more pronounced here than in the "draught" Guinness, either from the can, bottle, or truly on draft.

T: A nice dry Irish stout with an incredible amount of lactic sourness. The sourness actually manages to knock out the cocoa and coffee flavors you normally get with a good Irish stout.

M: A bit fuller than standard Guinness, but still relatively light. Even at 7.5%, no noticeable warmth.

D: I wouldn't refuse one, but I wouldn't go out of my way for one. At a premium price for a four pack of 11.2 oz bottles, I feel my money's going towards advertising. There are many better local dry stouts that are far better.

01-11-2011 02:29:33 | More by speter
DerBayer

Germany

3.05/5  rDev -25.2%

I have tried this a couple of times and really want to like it and it s not bad but not great either.

The feel of the beer is very dry - too dry for me but others may like it.

So how is it different to a regular Guiness: Well the Chocolate malt and hops character ius certainly a lot more pronounced and the beer has an above average taste but in all it just fails to impress me.

05-19-2010 20:22:14 | More by DerBayer
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.08/5  rDev -24.5%

11.2oz. bottle served in my SA Perfect Pint. Pours the color and clarity of cola with a sudsy, quarter inch tan-colored head embedded with ringlets around the edges. Head eventually settles into a solid skim with some clusters of bubbles around the edges. Some spots and strands of lacing adhered to the sides of the glass during the tasting. Nose reveals a trace of roast and sour lactic acid. Taste expresses char up front, more sour watery lactic acid, a slightly metallic quality and a bitter acrid aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light-medium in consistency, with a lively, slightly prickly carbonation and a subtle creaminess. Well, I have to say that I was a bit disappointed by this bear. I'm a bit more used to some sweetness and a suggestion of fruit in my Foreign/Export Stouts - this was bitter, burnt and acrid. Not something I need to experience again any time soon.

12-05-2010 18:04:43 | More by Jwale73
jwhawkins81

3.1/5  rDev -24%

Aroma - Surprisingly little aroma. Some light mineral notes but not a lot of nose

Appearance Perfect black with a brown large head that didn't dissipate

Taste - Sharp hop and bitter notes. This had a real surprising punch. Not very smooth at all.

Notes - An interesting stout but nothing special in compariosn to what else is available now. I'll admit this is a poor review I usually do that when I'm indifferent to a beer.

12-24-2011 15:05:20 | More by jwhawkins81
Jayli

3.1/5  rDev -24%

Acquired this from TheManiacalOne so a big THANK YOU goes out to him.
Poured in to a pint glass.

A: This beer pours an opaque deep chocolate brown, boardering on black. A two finger of creamy light brown head sits on top. Head recedes nicely to a film that retains throughout. Coated lacing remains on the glass.

S: Nose is sweet caramel and vanilla, some dark fruits - raisin and dates, and a bit of bitter chocolate.

T: Taste starts with sweet caramel, and vanilla flavoring. Middle is nothing but raisin, date, and a bit of fig notes. Finish has roastiness, bitter chocolate and a citrus hop.

M: Lighter side of medium body, moderate carbonation, somewhat thin and prickly on the tongue with a dry finish.

O: Goes down easily, somewhat tasty, not too filling, decent kick, ok representation of style. Overall, this was an average beer for me, one that I wouldn't seek out again.

07-15-2011 01:48:41 | More by Jayli
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

Black with a tan head that is initially thumbs sized & bubbly before settling to half of that size. The retention is about average.

Gives off similar aroma to Guinness Draught but with a stronger smell of coffee and the roasted malts. It isn't as pleasant a smell as the Draught variety it must be said, with the overpowering coffee smell not being to my liking.

A mixture of warm coffee and roasted malts & barley upfront with a long, lingering coffee aftertaste. Again similar to standard Guinness Draught but a lot stronger. You can also detect a taste of alcohol in the background.

Smooth and quite warm on the palate with little evidence of carbonation.

Quite a nice flavoursome beer but one that is far to strong for my liking, especially with the coffee, roasted barley & roasted malts.

1001 Beers to Try Before You Die:

05-03-2011 23:57:50 | More by flyingpig
GreenWBush

Oregon

3.18/5  rDev -22.1%

Brought back from a bottle shop in London.

Darkened blackened ruby...more so than most Guinness-water we get for here, for sure. Lighter than Nigerian version, though.

Amazing bubbly lace cling, pre-sip. Fresh out-of-oven chocolate cookies, watery alcohol and astringency, intense roast, high and almost piercing weediness. That sourish off-flavor that is so prevalent in Guinness these days. Almost Belgian yeast thing happening.

Taste echoes nose, with emphasis on vinous elements, reediness, metallic hop bitterness, nice sweetness to close.

Better than our crappy Guinness...but not that much better.

01-03-2006 19:32:39 | More by GreenWBush
HappyHourHero

Indiana

3.18/5  rDev -22.1%

I picked this up at a gas station in Negril, Jamaica. Light aroma, sweet cocoa, almost tangy. Dark tan head faded fast to a film. Opaque black colored beer. Burnt malt flavor, a bit of cocoa, and a strange cigarette butt flavor towards the end. Moderately dry and bitter finish. Moderately light body. I don't like the flavor towards the end, the harsh bitter ashy flavor is unappealing. Give me a Dragon Stout.

06-23-2005 18:14:57 | More by HappyHourHero
BierStein711

Served in a tulip

After having this stout twice, I can say that it is not finding its way into my cellar again. Out of the two styles of Guinness I have had, I shall stick to the draught. The molasses is overpowering, and that was the only flavor I could find in the heavy mouthfeel. Naturally, when someone tries a beer twice one hopes to be more impressed. Overall, I would not endorse this beer to someone who is looking for complexity.

10-13-2011 21:49:00 | More by BierStein711
rings

3.18/5  rDev -22.1%

As expected, my bottle of mud pours deep and black, with a thin chocolate head that held steady throughout the serving. Without the nitrogen pour, the bubbles were a little bigger, of course, but the lacing was still generous. A little fuller in body, the hoppy bite was noticeable, relative to the standard U.S. Draught version. There's a little alcohol heat and a nice lingering sweetness, balanced by the hoppy bitterness.

While I like this better than the typical draft, Guinness is still a far cry from any number of the HUGE assortments of stouts and porters readily available in nearly any local brewpub or brewery. All in all, while this is a very serviceable quaff, I'd prefer to drink local and fresh.

02-28-2011 20:51:49 | More by rings
azdback

Arizona

3.18/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured into my Surly pint glass. A deep dark black color, not many highlight other that the very small one I found at the bottom edge of the glass. It was a dark brown color. I can't see the carbonation bubbles but I know they are there because the head is a huge four fingers and a dark mocha color that is very velvety an luscious. The lace is beautiful and sticks in rings all the way to the end.

Smell is European yeast and soggy bread. There are some dark roasted coffee aromas that I can pull out but it is hard to get anything over the dank musty initial smell.

Taste so odd. There are some great dark roasted flavors that get interrupted by this terrible hop bitter. Let it be said that I don't mind some hop flavors in my Stout, but the choice of hop is not my top pick. I understand this is made in Dublin also. I'll stick to America, specifically West Coast.

The mouth is quite unlike the appearance. It does have the bubblyness but feels flat. A bit watery too.

Overall, I must say that I am an American and enjoy beer brewed on this side of the pond. I understand that Guinness is a well respected brand all over the world, I just don't care for this. I know there are a few variations and I will rate them individually as I try them. Thanks to my local purveyor for the sample.

06-30-2011 06:07:02 | More by azdback
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

Pulled out of a 4-pack at the Boise COOP over the weekend.. paid ~$2.50... poured into my Delerium goblet. 3 finger dark tan head... great lacing and the expected black brew.

Nose is deep and black with some off putting smoke..

Flavor shows the same char... almost a jerky taste that thankfully dissipates quickly ... burnt sugars with plenty of charcoal... tons of roast and some metallic copper notes... pretty astringent.

Lite/medium body with a nice carbonation.. not digging this one at all.

I am really glad Boise got this one in, but I just never ever.... EVER see wanting another bottle.

4/3.5/3/3.5/3

12-29-2010 07:06:35 | More by JohnGalt1
atr2605

3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

A- Pours a deep black color with a nice tan head. Nice head retention as well
S- Caramel, oats, chocolate and a slight olive aroma from the yeast (same yeast smell from original guinness)
T- Roasted malt comes through with more of the olive flavor, and finishes with a sweet caramel/chocolate flavor.
M- Rich body, but not real heavy, with average carbonation. Much more drinkable than I would have anticipated
O- I think it is a nice spin on the original guinness. The extra hops give the beer a little twist. I like the original guinness so I think this is a nice addition. By no means do I think it's ground breaking, but I could still drink a few

06-09-2011 00:18:48 | More by atr2605
Guinness Foreign Extra Stout from Guinness Ltd.