1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Reviews: 1932

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,735 | Reviews: 1,932 | Show All Ratings:
mikebraun1225

3.85/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is a nice stout beer if that is what you are looking for. nice foam on top. its is malty but not to malty for my taste. my dad drinks Guinness all the time I tried it recently and loved it. I would recommend trying the beer its worth a shot. if your are not a heavy drinker this could work for you 1 taste and you will enjoy it.

04-14-2014 15:40:19 | More by mikebraun1225
AmyfaceNYC

3.61/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Guiness on tap can be pretty spectacular. That glorious head of foam! The magnificent froth! That dark, luscious color. Very, very creamy when you start to sip. Tastes smooth, almost buttery, lightly roasted, no discernible hops or carbonation to me. This is a classic beer that is surprisingly light, despite its dark color and creaminess. Tastes great in an Irish pub (or, almost anywhere).

04-10-2014 03:46:55 | More by AmyfaceNYC
Bis4beer70

Indiana

4.26/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

you haven't had a real Guinness Draught until you've had one in Dublin...espescially at the top of the Wonka-like-factory-bar overlooking the heart of the whole lovely city....cheers!

i had two...mine and my wife's...

for some reason,the best way to drink it outside of Dublin is to pour it specifically & correctly,from the can.

i won't break it down on nose,smell,etc.-just drink it & enjoy or else yer just not right in the head...like my wife-LOL.

04-08-2014 15:20:03 | More by Bis4beer70
57md

3.56/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

So, I am sitting at a bar drinking what must be close to my 1,000th Guinness and decided that this would be the day I finally write down some tasting notes.

The Guinness nitro pour is infamous – my bartender did not put the fancy shamrock into the foam, but he managed a basic pour quite dexterously.

Dark brown in color with well over a finger of head once it finally settled. The head lingered for some time and left thick creamy rings of lace behind on the glass. The nose and flavor are both lightly roasty. The body is smooth and creamy.

This is a good light beer. To sum it up: Guinness is my go to when there is nothing else better.

04-07-2014 03:05:39 | More by 57md
archyquaffer

Montana

3.59/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 14.9 ounce nitro-can into a shaker pint. The label assures me that this is brewed in Dublin, Ireland. Of course, you get this pssst and some foam overflowing the can as you crack it. A gentle pour produces wildly cascading, settling froth. I can just barely get the beer into the glass with a slight dome of a head over the top. The head stays creamy throughout, leaving lacing along the sides of the glass. I really enjoy the effect of these nitro balls.

I get that typical mineral smell and flavor that I've noticed in many another old world brew. The nitro really brings this flavor out, and contributes to a very creamy mouth feel that would seem more watery without it. Even so, the thinness of the malt is very apparent. Definite tones of coffee and maybe slight unsweetened chocolate. Mild bitterness and metal in the aftertaste. (I actually don't mind metallic flavors within reason). Underlying everything is a light roasted malt sweetness.

I really can't rip on this beer- though that seems popular in these web pages. People in my town seem to really like it (Butte, Montana, home of a large Irish-American population). I've not actually drank much Guinness, it wasn't very available during my younger years, and so I can't compare it to the Guinness of yore or of Ireland that many people equate with the beverage of the gods. I've had it on draft locally and thought it was perfectly fine, though nothing to rave over- it also makes a good black and tan. It makes a pretty good session beer since it is rather light in carbs, calories and alcohol.

03-31-2014 04:58:53 | More by archyquaffer
Seanem44

4.59/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I'm a little shocked by the poor reviews here, but in retrospect I am not surprised given how poorly it tastes over here. I was fortunate enough to have Guinness Draught at the source in Dublin, Ireland. In fact, that is where I am standing in my Avatar.

So this review is for the true version, the one you can only get in the Motherland. For the American store bought can and draft version, I give it a 3.25/5.

Actually, all the Guinness I had in Ireland was spectacular. My wife will tell you, I could not get enough of it. It tasted heavenly. Classic. The epitome of how a stout should taste.

When I left Ireland, I did a test. I had a Guinness on tap at a bar at the Newark, NJ airport we had a layover at. They did not pour it the way they said it should be done, as per the demonstration at the factory in Dublin. They did not let it sit for 90 seconds before topping off. It had a bitter taste of metal.

If these reviews are for what we have here in the States, then yes, I would agree. But for true Guinness Draught, in Ireland proper, I feel my review is more fitting. It is a true bucket list event to drink a Guinness Draught in Ireland.

Of course with Guinness, you either love it or hate it.

03-24-2014 19:44:43 | More by Seanem44
Brewsome

2.94/5  rDev -15.3%

(A) Awesome creamy head that billows up from bottom of glass. Very cool. Wait for 90 seconds...Drink. Heavy lacing. Long lasting head. Nice.

(S) Roasted barley, coffee.

(T) Roasted barley, coffee & chocolate, some mild hop. Nothing complex at all. There are no fruity notes.

(M) Very light and watery. Chuggable and actually very refreshing. This beer is very popular in some warm climate countries.

(O) OK beer for what it is - a light dry stout. No major flaws, but nothing outstanding.

03-21-2014 22:47:29 | More by Brewsome
troobie

2.19/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

There seems to be some confusion due to the many varieties and strengths of Guinness available, so I'll describe my bottle and packaging:
- 6 pack of Guinness Draught (does NOT say Extra Cold anywhere on the bottle or packaging) purchased on 03-18-14 at BevMo!
- 11.2 fl. oz. bottles that are wrapped in plastic from the neck down to the base
- Bottle cap states "ENJOY STRAIGHT FROM THE BOTTLE"
- Packaging states "NOW EVEN BETTER"
- No widget
- From the website: "The signature Guinness Draught experience is activated every time you tilt the bottle to drink; the nitrogen contained in the new gas mix is released by the tilting action – that’s why it’s best consumed straight from the bottle."
- Brewed in Dublin, Imported by Diageo - Guinness USA

I'm certain this is the U.S.'s current version of Guinness Draught in bottled form.

A: Just under two fingers of head from a slightly aggressive pour. Head has some white patches but is mostly root beer colored. Settles to about a half finger of foam that holds a solid cap and leaves patchy lacing. Light will show through if held to a bright enough source. Beer is an extremely dark brown/red.

S: Chocolate milk, malted milk, and vanilla. A strong metallic bitterness. Burnt toast is just barely there.

T: The promises of this beer's smell are not fulfilled in the taste. Metallic bitterness, concentrated tea, and wood. Almost no sweetness. At the very end, after swallowing, I get a faint hint of extremely watered-down stout.

M: Low carbonation, but enough to just sting my tongue. Surprisingly creamy, but the creaminess has nothing substantial to back it up. Strong drying in the middle. Finishes like water. Mouthfeel leaves me no reason to take another drink.

O: I'm not familiar with the dry Irish stout style. I've had Guinness Extra Stout and Guinness Black Lager, both of which I find much more enjoyable. I can't see buying Guinness Draught over Guinness Extra Stout for any reason. Based on other reviews along with some articles it seems that this beer is no stranger to change and it may not be in top form at the moment.

03-19-2014 09:27:30 | More by troobie
Ohiolager

2.81/5  rDev -19%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Nitro can with no freshness date.

brewed in Dublin pasteurized stout. poured into a pint glass.

pours very dark almost black, however my phone flashlight is pretty weak but it still lights up the entire glass. leaves a two finger tan head that ends up as one finger. leaves very little lacing scattered on the glass.

i smell hints of coffee, toasted grain, roasted malt and caramel.

the taste is more robust than the smell but that being said its good but is lacking some power in its flavor. i taste very little chocolate, mainly a coffee taste followed by a roasted, toasted bitter hop taste.

the mouth feel is super light. almost lighter than water if that's possible. i know its 4.2 abv and low in cals. however i want a stout, not a bud light. leaves the mouth a bit bitter and dry.

overall its not a bad beer, however i prefer a thicker, stronger, more robust stout. i was introduced to Guinness a long time ago with Irish car bombs. but now i ask for an English car bomb. (i find no difference between draught in nitro cans or bottles)

03-19-2014 03:41:09 | More by Ohiolager
Dean_M

United Kingdom (England)

2.5/5  rDev -28%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

A:Very dark verging on black, big nitro head which lasts the duration. The appearance really is this beers selling point. Looks fantastic.

S: First thing that hit me was mocha, roasted malts, no real hop aroma. Pleasant.

Taste: Roasted maltiness, some bitterness, dry finish. Nothing too complex.

Mouthfeel: Watery not very stout like but with nitro head is smooth and creamy. Little carbonation.

Overall: Easily drinkable beer, nothing special, average.

03-18-2014 08:48:20 | More by Dean_M
ncjoshman

Montana

3.36/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

I think I've reviewed this before, but I'd just like to remind everyone that this is Guinness Draught. It only comes in a nitro-can, or nitro-tap. The bottled Guinness is Guinness extra cold, so reviews for it should only be written in its section.

03-18-2014 00:50:03 | More by ncjoshman
DagenhamDavis

2.98/5  rDev -14.1%

Before we begin I'd like to note that this review is based on Guinness draft from one of those cheesy black bottles. I've had better experiences with cans and draft, but I think the container may have thrown me off. Also, it says "enjoy straight from the bottle" but that seems kind of idiotic to me. I guess it's intended for the St. Patrick's day swill gang in this format.

Reviewed the same day as extra stout, and liked this one better, for what it's worth.

Looks black, (dark dark red in the light) not much of a head. Again I blame the bottle and lack of widget. (Then why did you buy it, review the beer you douche.)
Smells malty and chocolatey and a little smokey.
Tastes like it smells, but with a speck of stale cereal. It's more watery than expected too, especially considering the creamy mouthfeel. It's occurring to me that this is kind of a weird beer now that I'm writing this out.
Overall, not my everyday drink. Will try more from the style.

03-17-2014 02:27:57 | More by DagenhamDavis
SoupKitchenBeerSnob

2.03/5  rDev -41.5%

Got a can from the pool bar at the Royal Pacific Resort, Orlando. The place is great (gotta love the fast pass at Universal Studios), but man, this beer sucks. I like Guiness stout, but this is nothing like that. Looks good enough, but there's hardly any aroma and it tastes like flat, bland water. I mean, why bother? If you like tasting absolutely nothing in a beer, then go for it. Otherwise, pass on this swill.

03-16-2014 00:48:12 | More by SoupKitchenBeerSnob
goatgoat

Arizona

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

poured into pint glass

A: clear black, brown at edges; thick tan foam of tight bubbles that stays damn near forever, thank you nitro.
S: apparent from arm's length, strong roasted character, some breadiness underneath, very slight sour twang
T: not much come forward at first, then a sort of dry stale coffee roasted character, more sour than I remember (its been a while), slight hop bitterness in the finish
M: creamy foam from the head over a rather flat body
O: meh, one of the classics. better from the tap.

03-12-2014 04:45:39 | More by goatgoat
Bone53

3.29/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Sad to see that there are still bars out there with this as their best offering.

Appearance: Dark brown with a ruby red tent when put up to the light. One finger creamy tan head.

Smell: Roasted malt and sweetness, both of which are at a minimum.

Taste: Like the nose, very little roasted malts. Other than that, quite watery, and nothing much to it.

Mouthfeel: Very light. Smooth and refreshing

Overall: This doesn't have the robust characteristics i enjoy in a stout. If I were to blind taste this, I would've thought this was a middle of the road (at best) porter. When i step into a bar with nothing but BMC and this, I have no choice, but that's the only time I will have this beer.

03-12-2014 01:00:45 | More by Bone53
DenisKolkin

Ontario (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

500 ml can served chilled into a pint glass. Received as a gift. While familiar with this beer as it is often the best option on tap when out at chain restaurants, finally sat down to review this one in detail.

Appearance - Midnight black, with just over a finger of off-white foam that is in no hurry to go anywhere. Other than that the beer is dark enough that you can't see through it and as you drink the beer, some nice foamy rings of lacing are left around the glass.

Smell - Coffee aroma, with some roasty malts. Not a lot else in there but it is well executed.

Taste - Thick dense, coffee flavor, with some caramel sweetness particularly in the foam. Although as I've experienced the craft beer culture in a little more depth, the taste and mass of Guinness no longer seems what it once was, if anything the beer is a touch on the watery side.

Mouthfeel - While a "heavier" beer, the composition is rather watery once you've experienced Imperial Stouts and American Double Stouts. Nonetheless the feel is dense and the texture is very smooth.

Overall - While not quite as good as I had remembered it, Guinness remains a go to option on establishments with limited tap selection and a fine beer to consume in a pinch.

03-11-2014 22:14:37 | More by DenisKolkin
BrewThru_29

2.84/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Looks amazing. Thick creamy tan head that lasts forever. Appears black in the glass but slightly translucent with some red noted as well. Unfortunately, looks can be decieving.

Smell: Roasted malt, but its very mild and I'm not picking up much else.

Taste: Same as the nose. Roasted malt flavor, slightly bittersweet, but zero hops.

Mouthfeel: How can a beer that looks so good in the glass be so watery? Thin and boring.

Overall: I'll get this once and a while if there's no other options on tap, because this is still better than the BMC's of the world. Not by much though. I would like to try this in Ireland sometime to compare.

03-04-2014 20:28:46 | More by BrewThru_29
brutusmuktuk

1.15/5  rDev -66.9%

Had this on tap at a Red Robin’s. Pours a dark brown with a light off-white head. The aroma is a very subtle roasted malts. Flavor is water and a touch of roasted malts. Has a light, very watery mouthfeel. Sadly, I enjoyed my water from the restaurant more than this.

02-21-2014 00:39:59 | More by brutusmuktuk
Abra

4.28/5  rDev +23.3%

Wow, I'm kind of shocked about the so-so reviews on this beer...we're talking about Guinness here people, a classic!

Appearance: Beautiful, you really can't beat it. Pours a dark black with a slight transition to a hint of caramel color just underneath a gorgeous frothy white head. It's a work of art.

Taste: Sophisticated in its simplicity. Roasted malts with a hint of coffee and a slight sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Again, hard to beat here. Exceptionally smooth and creamy.

Overall: In the world of non-craft beer, Guinness reigns as King of the stouts.

02-19-2014 15:35:29 | More by Abra
BierJager89

A: Pours completely opaque black, with a creamy, undying white head.

S: Simple, nothing too interesting. Just some dark roast coffee and dark chocolate. Pretty mild.

T: Dark roast coffee dark chocolate. Pretty typical of the style.

M: Full bodied and creamy smooth.

O: I like this beer. It's a solid nitro stout. I'd recommend it if you want to consume a lot of cheep beer without getting a sour aftertaste (Guinness leaves a pleasantly bitter aftertaste). I'd also recommend it if you don't want to spend a ton of money on craft beer at a bar and just want to hang out and be casual.

02-07-2014 21:45:17 | More by BierJager89
knodeljr

4.84/5  rDev +39.5%

If you're a beer drinker, you've GOT to taste a Guinness draft. So dark, yet so smooth -- and the "settling" is a process in itself. Very good taste and appropriately Irish. Very good. To be able to drink one in Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow or Edinburgh is to taste it just right. One of the oldest beers in the world.

02-06-2014 22:43:56 | More by knodeljr
Sleepy_Conscience

3.1/5  rDev -10.7%

When I was in high school, I had a friend whose dad thought Guinness was the Eighth Wonder of the World. He traveled to foreign countries on business a lot and knew a good bar to get himself a Guinness in every one of them, be it China, Germany, South Korea, Japan...you name it. He always said that to really get turned on to Guinness you need to have it at a bar in Ireland. According to him, it tastes significantly better there because it's closer to the source and the bartenders there know the proper way to pour it. Maybe that's true, although I suspect it might just be the placebo effect and the ambiance of being in a real Irish bar.

Whatever it is, American bottled Guinness is really nothing special. My girlfriend adores stouts, so I've tried a fair amount of them. My favorite is Founder's Breakfast Stout. I can honestly say that if it weren't for the fact that I use them for cooking, I would probably never buy another Guinness. It's not terrible by any means, but compared to some of the amazing stouts being put out today by America's craft brewing juggernaut, it is absolutely nothing special. I can see why, back in the day before craft brewing, people would think this is a great beer. Compared to the insipid pilsners produced by Bud, Miller and Coors, it's pretty damn good. But by today's standards it's bland and a little too bitter.

I also think it's funny how people think of this as a filling beer, too. I remember when I was a freshman in college I met a guy who drank an entire six pack of Guinness in one sitting and it blew my mind that someone could handle so much of a brutal beer like Guinness. That just seems silly now that I actually have a fair amount of beer drinking experience. Today Guinness seems like an easy session beer. I could put down six of these things like they were Keystone Light.

BOTTOM LINE: Meh. I would only recommend this beer if you've never tried it, just to add it to your repertoire. Manage your expectations though. The only good thing I can really say about it is that it looks pretty when you pour it.

Serving type: nitro-bottle

01-24-2014 16:57:31 | More by Sleepy_Conscience
acemaverick

West Virginia

1.65/5  rDev -52.4%

A: Very attractive bottle. Beer is as dark as strong coffee and looks interesting.
S: Did not smell as strongly as it looked. A little earthy.
T: This beer is unbearable to drink. Tastes like cigarette butts and day old coffee.
M: Flat & Dry.
O: This is by far the worst tasting beer I have ever tried.

01-21-2014 06:53:41 | More by acemaverick
zeledonia

3.33/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Tasted 19 January 2014, reviewed from notes.

Pour is pretty, as nitro packages often are. Deep brown, cascading light tan head. One finger, foamy, good retention and nice lacing.

Smell is thin and lightly sweet. Not much stout character that I can pick up.

Taste is kinda like the smell. Just not much to it. A touch of char, a hint of sweetness. Mostly bland.

Feel is okay. A little thin, a little flat. The nitro doesn't really stick in the feel, leaving it kinda dull. It is light and refreshing, which is odd for a stout.

A very light stout without much flavor. Always gives me a chuckle when people refer to beers as "as thick as Guinness". I guess it is what it is, a refreshing stout. Thing is, I don't really want my stouts to be refreshing.

01-21-2014 04:00:21 | More by zeledonia
illpass78

Maine

4.23/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a nitro can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown that appears almost black unless you hold it to the light. The head quickly recedes to about a half inch of tan foam. Leaves a decent amount of lacing on the way down.

Aroma: Smells like black coffee. Alcohol is very faint; almost nonexistent to the nose. Overall the aroma is pretty weak, but not uninviting.

Taste: I know the canned draught Guinness takes a beating from critics, but I think it's perfect for what it is. It has a creamy, coffee-like flavor with some roasty dark chocolate notes, and the alcohol is almost unnoticeable (like in the nose). It's not super thick, but it's thick enough. Guinness Draught is full of the qualities that make people love porters and stouts - is it best in class? No. But it's never a letdown, either.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and inviting. Very easy to drink. If a "session dry stout" is a thing, it's probably this.

Overall: Guinness Draught is much-maligned, but it gets the job done. I feel this beer's rating suffers because so many people think of it as the apex of beer and it's clearly not. But at the end of the day, it's a fine substitute for a chocolatey dessert. You know what you're getting into here; just enjoy it.

01-21-2014 02:20:44 | More by illpass78
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.