Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews by Groomsy:
3.17/5  rDev -9.9%

*This is a re-review.*

First time I had this was the nitro-tap at a local Buffalo Wild Wings; I didn't really enjoy it, but decided to give it another whirl tonight when I saw the nitro-can pack in my local beer store. 14.9 oz nitro-can poured into a mug in one smooth action, no "glugging" here.

Appearance: The cascading action is a beauty to watch. When all is said and done, the beer has a jet black body with hints of red barely penetrating through the body. Thick, creamy two-finger vanilla colored head that sticks around the entire time and leave massive walls of lacing all the way down the glass. Guinness is, in my opinion, the best-looking beer out there.

Smell: Much better than I remember compared to the nitro-tap. This may be due to the fact that the beer was fresh from the can and was at a more proper serving temperature. The nose consists of roasted malt, dark chocolate, and strong hints of burnt coffee along with a very faint backbone of floral hops. The only thing that detracts here are the hints of alcohol and a little bit of sourness. Pretty good overall (except for the sourness), but a little one-dimensional. Typical of a stout, and that's a good thing considering that Guinness is sort of the prototype of stouts.

Taste: Although not worlds better than what I had from the nitro-tap, this is still a pretty good beer. The roasted malt is more apparent on the front of the palate, giving off a very charred and toasted flavor. There are sweeps of black coffee and dark chocolate on the tongue as well, although they're sort of an afterthought and are somewhat watered down and artificial. There's a slight bite of hops and alcohol in the finish which turns into a steely industrial bitterness in the finish. Not bad, but like I said, this is sort of like the foundation of the stout style, not the best of. The Budweiser of stouts. Not terrible but not fantastic; still mostly down my alley for what it is, though.

Mouthfeel: Not as nearly as watery as what I experienced from the nitro-tap. A lot of people call this watery, which certainly rings true to a point, but it still has a little bit of thickness to it. The worst thing about it, however, is the lack of carbonation and "flatness." This sort of makes the bitterness from the finish linger that much more on the tongue, and the lasting bitterness in the finish is the worst part of the taste, which carries over into the mouthfeel. Sure, it's quaffable, but not really what I enjoy.

Drinkability: I had a much better experience with this from the can than the nitro-tap, as opposed to most others here. Although it's not mindblowing, it's a pretty solid European macro-brew and has a good reputation for its consistency. Decent flavor and light body makes it pretty drinkable.

Much better than I was expecting, but this isn't definitely isn't something I would consistently go after when there are much better options for cheaper. $9.62 for a 4-pack of cans was almost overkill for me.

3.2/5  rDev -9.1%

Presentation: 14.9fl oz can with a built in widget (they call theirs the "Guinness Floating Draft System") for that "draught-like" quality. No freshness date.

Appearance: Absolutely pitch black with an amazing cascading effect. As the nitro-injection settles it forms a perfect finger width, creamy, foamy, tight off-white head. It's sticks to the glass and the head consistency remains all the way to the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Very pleasant aroma of sweet and roasted malts. Faint caramel note with a finishing of smoked malt.

Taste: Silky smooth mouthfeel, tremendously creamy -- so much so that I always find it difficult to not simply chug the beer in one swallow. Malt is nicely roasted with little astringency. The roasted malts give off coffee, slight chocolate and mild smoked flavors. Things dry up after this, then follows a watery-like floral hop flavor. There's a slight bite, for a brief second, that combines with a touch of roasted malt astringency. The unique roasted flavor carries through as a foundation from beginning to end. Body is medium. Finishes with a delicate roasted and dryness.

Notes: What can I say? It's not the most remarkable Stout that I've ever had. It's not very exciting compared to its siblings (yes, even on tap in Ireland). Apart from "Guinness" (the tap version) this is Guinness' top selling beer, and the most consistent as it's all too easy these days to get an inconsistent poured pint of Guinness. Personally I enjoy and appreciate the Extra Stout and Foreign Extra Stout 10 times more, but you'll find me slumming it on occasion. A mediocre beer.

2.54/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

The budweiser of stouts. Black water.

Smooth and toasty. Icon of mass produced dark beers. A dark beer available on most corners, and for good reason.

Appearance- Dark brown to black appearance when poured into a glass.

Smell- Light hints of chocolate or coffee much like any stout.

Taste- Very bold flavor that is not too overpowering.

Mouthfeel- It is very smooth and very drinkable.

Love this beer. It is the standard for all stouts,imports, Irish beers and any type of beer for that matter. This is a very good beer for upcoming events such as Saint Patricks Day!

3.78/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance – Black with the cascading foam that makes this stout famous. I had this on-top and it was filled to the top, so I didn’t get a chance to gauge the head.

Smell – The aroma is not strong, but I can pick up dark malts and chocolate and maybe even a hop balance. There’s also some light molasses sweetness to this one.

Taste – This is much drier than it smells. It has a nice sweetness with a touch of caramel malt.

Mouthfeel – I thought this was the stout’s strong point. This one is super smooth from start to finish.

Drinkability – A session stout if there ever was one. Not the hardiest one you’ll ever put down, but good nevertheless with an above-average mouthfeel.

2.5/5  rDev -29%

4.5/5  rDev +27.8%

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

2.62/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

One of the best style of beer to look at is the Irish Dry Stout. Cascading nitro style waiting period. Dark brown to black, sticky, fully coated lacing. Carbonation is almost non-existent after the pour completes itself.

Some charred barley, but like most from this style it is on the easy drinking, creamy, laid back. Watered down, tart taste, milky mouthfeel, and the drinkability is average just because I can't see myself looking forward to this or pursuing it any time soon. Once again another brew I'd prefer to try on tap, without the nitro blasting ball, but for this review in a can its simply uneventfull.

4.71/5  rDev +33.8%

The beer people love to hate for no legitimate reason, other than the fact it is the most famous stout of all time. Don't judge a beer based on its' notoriety. This is the textbook beer that "beer snobs" loathe, because it reassures the deluded perception they have that smaller always equals better. Anyways:

Appearance- Poured on tap into a guinness glass it presents a dark coffee like color, accompanied with a thick foamy head.

Smell- Subtle tones of roasted malt.

Taste- Divine. Notes of dark chocolate and malt, with faint hints of sweet cream.

Mouthfeel- Lightly carbonated and creamy. The head of a guinness on tap in unparalleled by any beer.

"StopHatingOnClassics"

2.7/5  rDev -23.3%

What happened! Over the past ten years (my drinking career) it seems as though this beer has been getting worse and worse. Guinness' were my first beers and they were fantastic. Now the inconsistent, anything but black color, and weak head are breaking my heart. The smell is gone and the smooth creamy taste is more of a metallic sip of tap water!? I loved this beer and feel personally wronged by those who have watered down this liquid tradition. The only remenant of the old Guinness is the way the nitro makes it feel when you drink it, but the mouthfeel simply can't stand alone.

4.43/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Even after I tell myself that I can drink no more beer- I always have room for a Guinness- cause it's desert!

2.5/5  rDev -29%

3.61/5  rDev +2.6%

Picked this up at the JewelOsco grocery store on Des Plaines & Fulton in Chicago. Was using it to make a beef stew in the slow cooker.

A: Those widgets are so annoying. You hardly get the top popped and it shoots it's load. Typical jet black guinness look with big white fine creamy head. Not much in the lacing department but I do like that a small head stays throughout and gives you a creamy milk mustache. I love that classic settling that Guinness does. You have to admit that it is a good looking drink.

S: Typical dry, sour Guinness smell. A little sweeter than the Extra Stout. It always reminds me of that stale brewery smell. It's almost got a hint of vinegar to it.

T: It is dry as a cork which is what the style is all about. The dryness is almost like a red wine level of dry. It may not be the best stout in the world but I think it is often reviewed as if it is an English or American Stout and not it's unique style. It's all malt and a little smokey when it warms up. Generally, it's pretty subtle.

M: Nice and smooth. Not as full a beer as you would imagine. Can feel quite thin at times. Carbonation and bitterness adds a little interest.

D: Guinness is a very nostalgic brew for me. I fondly remember having it in Ireland and I don't care what anyone says, it does taste better there. It is a gateway beer and for that reason alone, I think it deserves more respect than it gets. It's a pretty subtle drink that can be pounded. I know that from experience as a kid. I wouldn't go out of my way to drink it anymore but when I do have a reason to drink it, it sure does bring back good memories.

3.63/5  rDev +3.1%

What can I say? I love watching a fresh poured nitro-pushed Guinness 'cook' in front of me. There just doesn't seem to be anything else that makes that kind of impression.

The smell is, well mostly average, but there is a nice light coffee aroma present. The taste is good. It's, well, Guinness. Dark and chewy, with a drier coffee overtone and a bit of a dry finish. It's sort of the generic standard for me - the baseline to compare other stouts and porters against.

Mouthfeel is good, fairly chewy, and smooth to drink. It's the standard I defer to when there isn't much of a selection available. There are certainly other favorite dark beers out there but Guinness is always a 'safe' choice.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.