Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

to view more.
Ratings: 6,636 | Reviews: 2,201
Reviews by Sixpack595:
3.57/5  rDev +1.1%

Great looking beer, great head, good flavor. Best part about it is you can get it almost everywhere.Bad part is few sellers can pour a decent pint. Good beer if served correctly. Low ABV makes drinking it like pushing a rock up a hill, just keeps getting harder and harder till your too tired to lift an arm. Pass me a straw and some Whiskey please.

2.54/5  rDev -28%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

The budweiser of stouts. Black water.

4.31/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I've set Guinness as my default beer a few years ago and I still can't go wrong with it.

2.62/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

One of the best style of beer to look at is the Irish Dry Stout. Cascading nitro style waiting period. Dark brown to black, sticky, fully coated lacing. Carbonation is almost non-existent after the pour completes itself.

Some charred barley, but like most from this style it is on the easy drinking, creamy, laid back. Watered down, tart taste, milky mouthfeel, and the drinkability is average just because I can't see myself looking forward to this or pursuing it any time soon. Once again another brew I'd prefer to try on tap, without the nitro blasting ball, but for this review in a can its simply uneventfull.

4.71/5  rDev +33.4%

The beer people love to hate for no legitimate reason, other than the fact it is the most famous stout of all time. Don't judge a beer based on its' notoriety. This is the textbook beer that "beer snobs" loathe, because it reassures the deluded perception they have that smaller always equals better. Anyways:

Appearance- Poured on tap into a guinness glass it presents a dark coffee like color, accompanied with a thick foamy head.

Smell- Subtle tones of roasted malt.

Taste- Divine. Notes of dark chocolate and malt, with faint hints of sweet cream.

Mouthfeel- Lightly carbonated and creamy. The head of a guinness on tap in unparalleled by any beer.

"StopHatingOnClassics"

3.2/5  rDev -9.3%

Presentation: 14.9fl oz can with a built in widget (they call theirs the "Guinness Floating Draft System") for that "draught-like" quality. No freshness date.

Appearance: Absolutely pitch black with an amazing cascading effect. As the nitro-injection settles it forms a perfect finger width, creamy, foamy, tight off-white head. It's sticks to the glass and the head consistency remains all the way to the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Very pleasant aroma of sweet and roasted malts. Faint caramel note with a finishing of smoked malt.

Taste: Silky smooth mouthfeel, tremendously creamy -- so much so that I always find it difficult to not simply chug the beer in one swallow. Malt is nicely roasted with little astringency. The roasted malts give off coffee, slight chocolate and mild smoked flavors. Things dry up after this, then follows a watery-like floral hop flavor. There's a slight bite, for a brief second, that combines with a touch of roasted malt astringency. The unique roasted flavor carries through as a foundation from beginning to end. Body is medium. Finishes with a delicate roasted and dryness.

Notes: What can I say? It's not the most remarkable Stout that I've ever had. It's not very exciting compared to its siblings (yes, even on tap in Ireland). Apart from "Guinness" (the tap version) this is Guinness' top selling beer, and the most consistent as it's all too easy these days to get an inconsistent poured pint of Guinness. Personally I enjoy and appreciate the Extra Stout and Foreign Extra Stout 10 times more, but you'll find me slumming it on occasion. A mediocre beer.

Smooth and toasty. Icon of mass produced dark beers. A dark beer available on most corners, and for good reason.

Appearance- Dark brown to black appearance when poured into a glass.

Smell- Light hints of chocolate or coffee much like any stout.

Taste- Very bold flavor that is not too overpowering.

Mouthfeel- It is very smooth and very drinkable.

Love this beer. It is the standard for all stouts,imports, Irish beers and any type of beer for that matter. This is a very good beer for upcoming events such as Saint Patricks Day!

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance – Black with the cascading foam that makes this stout famous. I had this on-top and it was filled to the top, so I didn’t get a chance to gauge the head.

Smell – The aroma is not strong, but I can pick up dark malts and chocolate and maybe even a hop balance. There’s also some light molasses sweetness to this one.

Taste – This is much drier than it smells. It has a nice sweetness with a touch of caramel malt.

Mouthfeel – I thought this was the stout’s strong point. This one is super smooth from start to finish.

Drinkability – A session stout if there ever was one. Not the hardiest one you’ll ever put down, but good nevertheless with an above-average mouthfeel.

2.7/5  rDev -23.5%

What happened! Over the past ten years (my drinking career) it seems as though this beer has been getting worse and worse. Guinness' were my first beers and they were fantastic. Now the inconsistent, anything but black color, and weak head are breaking my heart. The smell is gone and the smooth creamy taste is more of a metallic sip of tap water!? I loved this beer and feel personally wronged by those who have watered down this liquid tradition. The only remenant of the old Guinness is the way the nitro makes it feel when you drink it, but the mouthfeel simply can't stand alone.

4.43/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Even after I tell myself that I can drink no more beer- I always have room for a Guinness- cause it's desert!

3.61/5  rDev +2.3%

Picked this up at the JewelOsco grocery store on Des Plaines & Fulton in Chicago. Was using it to make a beef stew in the slow cooker.

A: Those widgets are so annoying. You hardly get the top popped and it shoots it's load. Typical jet black guinness look with big white fine creamy head. Not much in the lacing department but I do like that a small head stays throughout and gives you a creamy milk mustache. I love that classic settling that Guinness does. You have to admit that it is a good looking drink.

S: Typical dry, sour Guinness smell. A little sweeter than the Extra Stout. It always reminds me of that stale brewery smell. It's almost got a hint of vinegar to it.

T: It is dry as a cork which is what the style is all about. The dryness is almost like a red wine level of dry. It may not be the best stout in the world but I think it is often reviewed as if it is an English or American Stout and not it's unique style. It's all malt and a little smokey when it warms up. Generally, it's pretty subtle.

M: Nice and smooth. Not as full a beer as you would imagine. Can feel quite thin at times. Carbonation and bitterness adds a little interest.

D: Guinness is a very nostalgic brew for me. I fondly remember having it in Ireland and I don't care what anyone says, it does taste better there. It is a gateway beer and for that reason alone, I think it deserves more respect than it gets. It's a pretty subtle drink that can be pounded. I know that from experience as a kid. I wouldn't go out of my way to drink it anymore but when I do have a reason to drink it, it sure does bring back good memories.

3.63/5  rDev +2.8%

What can I say? I love watching a fresh poured nitro-pushed Guinness 'cook' in front of me. There just doesn't seem to be anything else that makes that kind of impression.

The smell is, well mostly average, but there is a nice light coffee aroma present. The taste is good. It's, well, Guinness. Dark and chewy, with a drier coffee overtone and a bit of a dry finish. It's sort of the generic standard for me - the baseline to compare other stouts and porters against.

Mouthfeel is good, fairly chewy, and smooth to drink. It's the standard I defer to when there isn't much of a selection available. There are certainly other favorite dark beers out there but Guinness is always a 'safe' choice.

1.24/5  rDev -64.9%

I'm spending Christmas with my parent's, and my dad loves this stuff and has a lot of it lying around the house, so I figured I'd have a bottle. Definitely not what I remember it being from my college days.

Appearance: Absolutely gorgeous pour into a pint glass. Nice cascading effect, with a good 3/4 inch of a thick, creamy head. Unfortunately everything good ends here.

Smell: Doesn't smell like much. Water with a faint hint of dark malts.

Taste/mouthfeel: Almost exactly like the smell. Very smooth and creamy, but watery. Not much of a taste at all. This is supposed to be a stout? It tastes as if steeped a small amount of roasted barley in water and bottled it. What happened to this beer? Has the quality changed over the years, or just my pallet? Very disappointing, and definitely not what I remember it being.

Drinkablilty: I finished about half the glass, and gave the rest a drain pour. I haven't done this to too many beers, but I just couldn't finish this one. I thought I was going to throw up.

4.36/5  rDev +23.5%

This beer has a high head which allows there to be a strong hold on the class after it has been poured out. The head remains white which is pretty cool.
I like it because it doesn't have a strong hop aroma.
The taste is not bitter at all, with a hint of caramel taste.
Its a light beer.

4.31/5  rDev +22.1%

A true classic among beers, I was re aquanted with it tonight on tap at Dave&Busters. The bar tender even knew how to pour it correctly, I was shocked! Anyways, it poured that great dark black color with a great creamy head that stayed throughout the whole glass. It smelled of roasted coffee and chocolate and tasted pretty much the same. The mouthfeel was great and creamy and it really opened up once it hit your tounge with a bit of a tingle. I could have drank it all night, but at 4 bucks a pint glass my pocketbook was saying "no". This is one macro that still tastes fucking great!

3.61/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a nice dark black with the classic cascading head...leaves a thick fluffy inch and a half head on top. I always enjoy the presentation of Guinness. Nice roasty nose with background hints of cocoa and coffee. A bit too subdued for me, but nice.

A good roasted, slightly burnt malt profile along with hints of coffee and slight notes of chocolate. A good irish stout that goes well with food.

Mouthfeel is creamy, however there is almost no carbonation. Goes down like water. I could have a few of these, but there are plenty other stouts that I'd go to first.

3.47/5  rDev -1.7%

A_Pours jet black with dark brown around the edges. Thick creamy off white head with great retention. Super thick lacing.

S_Not much going on here. Faint grainy/malty aroma. Not much else.

T_Same as the nose but with a little more presence. Slightly roasted malt and toasted grain.

M_Mouthfeel is a little watery but at the same time very creamy. Probably one of the smoothest beers you'll drink.

D_Ridiculously drinkable. Not the most flavor-able beer but definitely a tasty beverage. Low ABV makes this a great session beer.

Check out the reviews for this by the BROS. They each reviewed it like five times and they're pretty funny.

4.75/5  rDev +34.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The standard by which all other Irish brews are measured.

3.16/5  rDev -10.5%

"draft" 14.9 oz can 2 minute pour into a pint glass.
As mass produced beers go, this is pretty good.
This is Guinness after all.
Very dark clear appearance. I used to think that this beer had body before I was able to compare it to some of the great stout beers out there. Now, I consider it to be somewhat on the thin side. Still, this is the kind of beer to enjoy with a meal and not concern yourself too much with the details.
Nicely drinkable but it has become a little pedestrian for my taste.

4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

had the pleasure of enjoying a pint ( 3 actually ) at the brewery in Dublin. trust me its awesome on draught at the brewery. thick and creamy and so smooth. jet black with a off white head that stayed to the end of the glass. it seems the abv of Guinness in Ireland is a touch higher than whats available in the states also. definitely will go again if I get the chance.

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

This beer is an Irish dry Stout, and in my opinion one of the best in the market. The smell was a mix of malt and barley, texture and mouth feel was slightly watery, but overall smooth in texture. This beer retains a full head on the glass when poured.

3.71/5  rDev +5.1%

always wondered if this was any good. friend conned me into trying it. Never tasted a beer quite like it, nice flavor. not too bitter. i dont know exactly what the thing inside is but it makes it unique. pretty descent brew overall. I'll have to try it on real tap one day. but until then it's not bad out of the bottle.

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

I, like the previous reviewer, thought this was the primo beer in the world. It was all I ordered at pubs and resturants, I bought the t-shirts and caps, and thought myself really sophisticated compared to my friends, who couldn't understand why I would want to pay four dollars for a pint, when I could get three Bud's for the same price. Then I started checking out books and this site, which informed me that Guinness was'nt even in the top 10.I now I still love Guinness, but I'm looking to try others first.
Still the most beautiful working beer in existence, still has the wonderful creamy nitro mouthfeel, still has the most distinct first sip roasted malt taste,and a superior lace, but now I find its aroma sadly lacking and I notice that the wonderful malt taste seems to fade rapidly

2.18/5  rDev -38.2%

14.9 oz nitro can. For all its deficiencies, nitro does pour a pretty beer. Pours a black with ruby highlights with a thick and creamy off-white head that retains well and laces the glass. It's fun watching the nitro bubbles cascade to the top.

The aroma is metallic nitrogen and a little sweet grainy chocolate and leathery coffee.

The flavor is pretty bland - watery, earthy grains, a little coffee with a slightly bitter roasted charcoal finish. The mouthfeel is fairly light and very watery.

Overall, this is not as good as I remember Guinness being. Maybe it's because I'm looking at it more critically. It's just slightly better than BMC beers.

to view more.
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.