Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Reviews by Vashtar:
2.1/5  rDev -40%

There's something milky about the appearance, but it was dark.
The smell was strong and wasn't pleasant.
The taste was bland and watery
The mouthfeel was also like water.
Overall, I'll never drink this beer again anyway because they use meat in the process, so I hear.

Vashtar, Nov 26, 2011

Smooth and toasty. Icon of mass produced dark beers. A dark beer available on most corners, and for good reason.

Freddie_Ray, Aug 19, 2014

Appearance- Dark brown to black appearance when poured into a glass.

Smell- Light hints of chocolate or coffee much like any stout.

Taste- Very bold flavor that is not too overpowering.

Mouthfeel- It is very smooth and very drinkable.

Love this beer. It is the standard for all stouts,imports, Irish beers and any type of beer for that matter. This is a very good beer for upcoming events such as Saint Patricks Day!

RyanLaCount03, Feb 27, 2013

hj22lee, Aug 27, 2014

Dekhar, Aug 30, 2014
3.78/5  rDev +8%

Appearance – Black with the cascading foam that makes this stout famous. I had this on-top and it was filled to the top, so I didn’t get a chance to gauge the head.

Smell – The aroma is not strong, but I can pick up dark malts and chocolate and maybe even a hop balance. There’s also some light molasses sweetness to this one.

Taste – This is much drier than it smells. It has a nice sweetness with a touch of caramel malt.

Mouthfeel – I thought this was the stout’s strong point. This one is super smooth from start to finish.

Drinkability – A session stout if there ever was one. Not the hardiest one you’ll ever put down, but good nevertheless with an above-average mouthfeel.

RoyalT, Nov 23, 2003
2.5/5  rDev -28.6%

cam477, Sep 26, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +28.6%

beerhunter13, Jan 13, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

DanGeo, May 04, 2014
2.56/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

One of the best style of beer to look at is the Irish Dry Stout. Cascading nitro style waiting period. Dark brown to black, sticky, fully coated lacing. Carbonation is almost non-existent after the pour completes itself.

Some charred barley, but like most from this style it is on the easy drinking, creamy, laid back. Watered down, tart taste, milky mouthfeel, and the drinkability is average just because I can't see myself looking forward to this or pursuing it any time soon. Once again another brew I'd prefer to try on tap, without the nitro blasting ball, but for this review in a can its simply uneventfull.

ExtraStout, Jun 13, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +35.7%

The beer people love to hate for no legitimate reason, other than the fact it is the most famous stout of all time. Don't judge a beer based on its' notoriety. This is the textbook beer that "beer snobs" loathe, because it reassures the deluded perception they have that smaller always equals better. Anyways:

Appearance- Poured on tap into a guinness glass it presents a dark coffee like color, accompanied with a thick foamy head.

Smell- Subtle tones of roasted malt.

Taste- Divine. Notes of dark chocolate and malt, with faint hints of sweet cream.

Mouthfeel- Lightly carbonated and creamy. The head of a guinness on tap in unparalleled by any beer.

"StopHatingOnClassics"

StopHatingOnClassics, Apr 09, 2012

t2grogan, Oct 05, 2014

Tiernan, Mar 26, 2013

ccapurso, Nov 01, 2014
2.68/5  rDev -23.4%

What happened! Over the past ten years (my drinking career) it seems as though this beer has been getting worse and worse. Guinness' were my first beers and they were fantastic. Now the inconsistent, anything but black color, and weak head are breaking my heart. The smell is gone and the smooth creamy taste is more of a metallic sip of tap water!? I loved this beer and feel personally wronged by those who have watered down this liquid tradition. The only remenant of the old Guinness is the way the nitro makes it feel when you drink it, but the mouthfeel simply can't stand alone.

ArrogantDeadGuy, Apr 21, 2009

tbryan5, Jun 29, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -28.6%

J2L, Oct 25, 2012

GameOfBeers, Aug 07, 2014

Shakerman, Jan 08, 2012
3.6/5  rDev +2.9%

Picked this up at the JewelOsco grocery store on Des Plaines & Fulton in Chicago. Was using it to make a beef stew in the slow cooker.

A: Those widgets are so annoying. You hardly get the top popped and it shoots it's load. Typical jet black guinness look with big white fine creamy head. Not much in the lacing department but I do like that a small head stays throughout and gives you a creamy milk mustache. I love that classic settling that Guinness does. You have to admit that it is a good looking drink.

S: Typical dry, sour Guinness smell. A little sweeter than the Extra Stout. It always reminds me of that stale brewery smell. It's almost got a hint of vinegar to it.

T: It is dry as a cork which is what the style is all about. The dryness is almost like a red wine level of dry. It may not be the best stout in the world but I think it is often reviewed as if it is an English or American Stout and not it's unique style. It's all malt and a little smokey when it warms up. Generally, it's pretty subtle.

M: Nice and smooth. Not as full a beer as you would imagine. Can feel quite thin at times. Carbonation and bitterness adds a little interest.

D: Guinness is a very nostalgic brew for me. I fondly remember having it in Ireland and I don't care what anyone says, it does taste better there. It is a gateway beer and for that reason alone, I think it deserves more respect than it gets. It's a pretty subtle drink that can be pounded. I know that from experience as a kid. I wouldn't go out of my way to drink it anymore but when I do have a reason to drink it, it sure does bring back good memories.

sgoodship, Dec 24, 2008

SkiBum22, Aug 21, 2014
3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

What can I say? I love watching a fresh poured nitro-pushed Guinness 'cook' in front of me. There just doesn't seem to be anything else that makes that kind of impression.

The smell is, well mostly average, but there is a nice light coffee aroma present. The taste is good. It's, well, Guinness. Dark and chewy, with a drier coffee overtone and a bit of a dry finish. It's sort of the generic standard for me - the baseline to compare other stouts and porters against.

Mouthfeel is good, fairly chewy, and smooth to drink. It's the standard I defer to when there isn't much of a selection available. There are certainly other favorite dark beers out there but Guinness is always a 'safe' choice.

SIRIUS2, Feb 08, 2008
1.2/5  rDev -65.7%

I'm spending Christmas with my parent's, and my dad loves this stuff and has a lot of it lying around the house, so I figured I'd have a bottle. Definitely not what I remember it being from my college days.

Appearance: Absolutely gorgeous pour into a pint glass. Nice cascading effect, with a good 3/4 inch of a thick, creamy head. Unfortunately everything good ends here.

Smell: Doesn't smell like much. Water with a faint hint of dark malts.

Taste/mouthfeel: Almost exactly like the smell. Very smooth and creamy, but watery. Not much of a taste at all. This is supposed to be a stout? It tastes as if steeped a small amount of roasted barley in water and bottled it. What happened to this beer? Has the quality changed over the years, or just my pallet? Very disappointing, and definitely not what I remember it being.

Drinkablilty: I finished about half the glass, and gave the rest a drain pour. I haven't done this to too many beers, but I just couldn't finish this one. I thought I was going to throw up.

drumline, Dec 29, 2006

Bojangles565, Aug 20, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +25.1%

This beer has a high head which allows there to be a strong hold on the class after it has been poured out. The head remains white which is pretty cool.
I like it because it doesn't have a strong hop aroma.
The taste is not bitter at all, with a hint of caramel taste.
Its a light beer.

Dtopete21, Jan 30, 2012
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.