Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd. visit their website

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,121 | Hads: 6,949
Reviews by Vinylboy20:

4.71/5  rDev +36.5%

The beer people love to hate for no legitimate reason, other than the fact it is the most famous stout of all time. Don't judge a beer based on its' notoriety. This is the textbook beer that "beer snobs" loathe, because it reassures the deluded perception they have that smaller always equals better. Anyways:

Appearance- Poured on tap into a guinness glass it presents a dark coffee like color, accompanied with a thick foamy head.

Smell- Subtle tones of roasted malt.

Taste- Divine. Notes of dark chocolate and malt, with faint hints of sweet cream.

Mouthfeel- Lightly carbonated and creamy. The head of a guinness on tap in unparalleled by any beer.

4.9/5  rDev +42%

As anyone reading, I drink a lot of beer. However, I never review beers, mainly because good beers tend to receive their credit, plus why would anyone really care what I have to say about beer, I'm not an expert? But I was curious, so I Googled Guinness and found its BA score; it is wrong. How have "beer experts" determined that what was once the gold standard is now deserving of a 77 score (or a 70, Bros)? Because it's not brewed by a couple hipsters in a trendy neighborhood? Because it is mass produced? It's delicious. It's beautiful. It's meant to taste unique. I've had better beers, but it is completely worthy of a 5/5 rating. It's a DRY Stout, emphasis on the dry. It makes you yearn for that next sip, just like a good cocktail. It is smooth and has a burnt toffee aftertaste, pours a deep black with a rich, thick, creamy head that laces the glass perfectly. It's incredibly made and gets better with more pours, A TRUE SESSION BREW before it had a name. It offers a very slight body with a sharply toasted malt smell, that of day old bread that does not overwhelm but rather compliments the taste. Very well made, it's clear why brewers and beer drinkers alike have enjoyed and respected this beer for decades. This should not be kept out of your rotation just because your grandparents have drank it, in fact, that's partially why you should drink it.

2.54/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

The budweiser of stouts. Black water.

4.31/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I've set Guinness as my default beer a few years ago and I still can't go wrong with it.

do people romanticize a pint of guinness? yes they do. but why shouldn't they? there's a beautiful history behind this beer, and i challenge anyone to find me a more beautiful looking beer. perfect head, an inredible blackish ruby color, it is flawless. smells like stale rye bread, tastes like stale rye bread, and...FUCK YOU, i love stale rye bread! wonderful texture, guinness is still king among stouts.

Smooth and toasty. Icon of mass produced dark beers. A dark beer available on most corners, and for good reason.

1.67/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Not a very full bodied beer, nor does it have a good enough ABV, you can skip and wont be sorry. The taste is too light, just pale on the palate, very light watered down stout feel.

3.78/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance – Black with the cascading foam that makes this stout famous. I had this on-top and it was filled to the top, so I didn’t get a chance to gauge the head.

Smell – The aroma is not strong, but I can pick up dark malts and chocolate and maybe even a hop balance. There’s also some light molasses sweetness to this one.

Taste – This is much drier than it smells. It has a nice sweetness with a touch of caramel malt.

Mouthfeel – I thought this was the stout’s strong point. This one is super smooth from start to finish.

Drinkability – A session stout if there ever was one. Not the hardiest one you’ll ever put down, but good nevertheless with an above-average mouthfeel.

2.62/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

One of the best style of beer to look at is the Irish Dry Stout. Cascading nitro style waiting period. Dark brown to black, sticky, fully coated lacing. Carbonation is almost non-existent after the pour completes itself.

Some charred barley, but like most from this style it is on the easy drinking, creamy, laid back. Watered down, tart taste, milky mouthfeel, and the drinkability is average just because I can't see myself looking forward to this or pursuing it any time soon. Once again another brew I'd prefer to try on tap, without the nitro blasting ball, but for this review in a can its simply uneventfull.

3.2/5  rDev -7.2%

Presentation: 14.9fl oz can with a built in widget (they call theirs the "Guinness Floating Draft System") for that "draught-like" quality. No freshness date.

Appearance: Absolutely pitch black with an amazing cascading effect. As the nitro-injection settles it forms a perfect finger width, creamy, foamy, tight off-white head. It's sticks to the glass and the head consistency remains all the way to the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Very pleasant aroma of sweet and roasted malts. Faint caramel note with a finishing of smoked malt.

Taste: Silky smooth mouthfeel, tremendously creamy -- so much so that I always find it difficult to not simply chug the beer in one swallow. Malt is nicely roasted with little astringency. The roasted malts give off coffee, slight chocolate and mild smoked flavors. Things dry up after this, then follows a watery-like floral hop flavor. There's a slight bite, for a brief second, that combines with a touch of roasted malt astringency. The unique roasted flavor carries through as a foundation from beginning to end. Body is medium. Finishes with a delicate roasted and dryness.

Notes: What can I say? It's not the most remarkable Stout that I've ever had. It's not very exciting compared to its siblings (yes, even on tap in Ireland). Apart from "Guinness" (the tap version) this is Guinness' top selling beer, and the most consistent as it's all too easy these days to get an inconsistent poured pint of Guinness. Personally I enjoy and appreciate the Extra Stout and Foreign Extra Stout 10 times more, but you'll find me slumming it on occasion. A mediocre beer.

4.46/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm surprised the bros rated it so low. It's a classic and a favorite for a lot of people. Personally I love it. It looks like a dark stout but it really has a light feel to it and its low in calories (it's a light beer to me). It's my go to on Sunday's when watching football.
Pours great. Nice head
Smells of malty goodness
Tastes of malt coffee and chocolate . Has a milky cream finish
It's a good starter into the stout world. Men's health says if you're gonna drink a beer drink a Guinness!

3.81/5  rDev +10.4%

Review based on notes taken 9/19/15
Note 1: This is my 1000th full beer review.
I saved Guinness Draught for #1000 because it has a strong significance in my personal beer history. It was one of the first beers I ever tried, and it was the first beer I had on my 21st birthday. This beer has popped up at various points in my life, and I will mention those in the course of this review, prefaced with asterisks***.
Note 2: On-tap, nitro (of course)

A: Seemingly jet black from a distance, but it is really more of a dark, deep brown upon inspection - comes off the nitro with a medium-large, dense, solid, light tan head, with the characteristic cascade - small bubbles occasionally break the soft surface of the head that can only really exist thanks to nitrogen - the head does slowly fade to a small, but solid cap, but that does stick around indefinitely - leaves a wall of lacing - if nothing else, Guinness Draught on nitro is pretty to look at
***In middle school, I heard from a friend that bubbles in Guinness sink to the bottom of the glass instead of float to the top, and that this phenomenon could not be explained by science. I never bothered to look this up, as dial-up internet was too slow for anything.

S: Markedly unexciting, but charming for what it is - a straight-up whiff of nitro carbonation, which should not actually be an aroma, but I smell it every time I have anything on nitro - more stout-like aromas underneath the haze of gas, but it is very mild - dry, roasty malts - chocolate malts and roasted grains - a general graininess - dark chocolate and some hints of Tootsie rolls - lightly burnt, perhaps a touch smoky - light sweetness, with some light caramel
***In high school, I heard from a friend about how brewers at Guinness, many years ago, were cleaning out the tanks and found a dead rat. They cleaned the tank thoroughly, but then they could not get the next few batches to taste right. So since then, a rat is included in each batch for a consistent flavor. I never believed this one... I also have never detected rodent in Guinness Draught.

T: A decade ago, I thought this was rather complex, but now I realize that it is a rather simple brew - mild chocolate malts and roasted malts - lightly roasted grains, hint of medium to dark roast coffee - dark chocolate, baker's chocolate, semisweet chocolate, hints of Tootsie rolls - light touches of caramel - lightly grainy, with some straight-up un-malted barley - light astringency and touch of acidity - some minerality - very light hint of English hops with a touch of grass - low to medium bitterness - clean finish, extremely dry as the style should be
***In college, I learned in a class (a food science course about beer) that Guinness Draught should be slightly sour. A lot of homebrew clone recipes include some souring technique or acidulated malt. Personally, I have never really noticed it other than a light acidity.

M: Light but very creamy - the bizarre result of nitro, which leads many novice drinkers to describe this as anything heavier than "light" - high carbonation, finishes clean
***In grad school, I drank a lot of beer. (I don't have a Guinness-related anecdote.)

O: Always a lovely day for a Guinness

Guinness Draught is the quinntessential example of an Irish Dry Stout. It's not exciting, but it really isn't supposed to be. I have definitely had more complex and objectively superior examples of the style, but this is really the template. Definitely mild, but classic nonetheless.

Draft. One of the thinnest stouts I have ever drank in my life. Thin on taste as well. Never know why this is a world renown stout. It is super low ABV. You can drink them all day long and never get bombed. They look filling and hearty but are thin and watery. Little to no flavor. You get some coffee and hop bitterness but this has just never been tasty to me. With all the fantastic local craft beer stouts out there, I can't ever see me drinking this again unless it is my only stout option. I'll have to get to Ireland one day and try a fresh real one.

3.03/5  rDev -12.2%

Taste isn't bad but it's thin like water. It's so awkward to drink cause you taste the totasted coffee flavors but the mouthfeel is awful. But I'm in PA where the bartender prbably didn't pour a "proper" Guinness.

3.46/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance - Poured from a 440 ml can with "widget" into a 16 oz bar glass. This beer pourd almost completely black and let no light in, a creamy 2 finger head appeared quickly and is still here 20 mins later.

Aroma - I smell roasted malts, some light coffee and light hops.

Taste - sweet roasted malts, coffee, nuts, slight toffee

Feel - light but velvety creamy body, silky smooth. very easy drinking beer.

Overall - I'm used to big feel and big flavor which this definitely doesnt have, that said I usually dont drink more than one or 2 beers in a day but if I was looking for something to down a 6 pack off this would be my kind of beer. for the price it beats any aaj's. not too bad.

2.23/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I don't understand why people make a big fuss about this beer. Super boring, and has the most rancid shitty after taste. Probably one of the worst stouts out there. The abv is super low too which is not typical of a good stout. This is the Natty Ice of stouts.

1.74/5  rDev -49.6%

This is the worst beer I have ever tasted. Very hard to keep down. Weak, watery, dribble, with lots of foam. I have to say though that I am an ipa man. So maybe it's just a matter of acquiring a taste.

2.9/5  rDev -15.9%

Fun to watch being poured and has a nice, creamy head. Not much positive to it beyond that, in my opinion. Thin and bland. Not my idea of a good session beer, as I couldn't see myself being able to stomach more than two pints of this. And not a beer I'd want to drink with food. Sure, it's popular, but "popular" isn't the same as "good". Would look elsewhere in the Irish Dry Stout category.

Easily my favorite shelf beer. Smooth and delicious... like drinking milk.

4.04/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

First review here, I figured I would review my current favorite.

I purchased a 4 pack of tall cans at a local grocery store. To my dismay, they were located inside of the cooler. I brought the cans home and left them sitting out on the counter to get them to room temp.

On first inspection, the cans love to shoot foam all over the place so I recommend opening over the sink. I poured into a standard 16 oz. pint glass using a pouring method made specifically for Guinness cans with the nitrogen widget. Essentially you flip the can upside down and set it in the glass until the liquid reaches the can and you can finishing pouring from there.

A-The creamy almost coffee colored head and dark chocolatey body are perfect. It is my ideal picture for the perfect beer. 5

A-Fairly neutral. The smell of alcohol is present, unlike in the taste. There is a roasted, smokey note there as well. 3.5

T- Everything I am looking for in a stout. The hints of chocolate and coffee followed with a charred finish. Since the head is present throughout the whole drink, it's creaminess really sets up the bold flavor of this beer. 4.25

F- Very smooth. I can see no problem drinking 6, 7, or 20 of these! I prefer light carbonation in my beers due to stomach issues but it also brings out flavors that may be hidden from it. 3.5

O-I had a bad first impression of Guinness Draught by having the bottled version. Now that I have had it out of the can, I'm ready for Ireland so I can have the real thing. 4.25

2.83/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Pours very dark reddish-brown, almost black, but has a creamy pale tan head. The head is thick and lasts a long time due to the nitrogen bubbles. Reasonably good lacing down the glass, but not as much as I was expecting.

Aroma: Faint 'stout' smell of dark malts with a little roast. Also a hint of apricots.

Taste: Roast barley (although it doesn't stand out), malt (although it doesn't stand out), a slight mineral taste (although it doesn't stand out), and a touch of sourness (although it doesn't stand out).

Mouthfeel: A much lighter body than to be expected, but thickened slightly due to the soft nitrogen carbonation.

Overall: I can't shake the feeling that this world-famous beer (probably the most famous of the stouts?) relies on a combination of marketing and its nitrogen widget for its success. Attempting to disregard the aspects that the nitrogen lends to the beer, it is actually very simple and unimpressive. It's not bad, but it just isn't good.

Appearance- Dark brown to black appearance when poured into a glass.

Smell- Light hints of chocolate or coffee much like any stout.

Taste- Very bold flavor that is not too overpowering.

Mouthfeel- It is very smooth and very drinkable.

Love this beer. It is the standard for all stouts,imports, Irish beers and any type of beer for that matter. This is a very good beer for upcoming events such as Saint Patricks Day!

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.