Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,080 | Hads: 6,736
Reviews by doktorhops:
3.64/5  rDev +5.8%

My goodness my Guinness! It's the beer that started it all for me back when I was 18. Before then beer was Toohey's or Victoria Bitter and tasted like regurgitated vomit (still does for me in regards to VB). I've been holding back on reviewing this since my ancestors are Irish and a piece of me never left Dublin back in 2001 but I feel it's time to be objective and rate this as it should like every other beer.

Poured from a 440ml nitro can into a 568ml Guinness pint glass. Now I want to make one thing clear: Guinness is at it's best when served from a tap, very slightly chilled, in a local pub in Dublin - outside of this, as is the case here, you end up with a shadow of the glory that is Guinness.

A: Deep ruby red body that appears jet black for all intents and purposes. With a 1.5cm white head that leaves rings as it goes down, Guinness has the appearance of a quintessential Irish Stout.

S: It's a very faint smell of roasted chicory, grain and just a hint of caramel.

T: Very much in line with the aroma we have a front note of roasted chicory, the barley comes through mid-palate, and finally some bitter coffee back notes. It's not a big stout for body or flavour though as I've always found it easy to put away a pint in two big gulps.

M: Watery, much more than I remember it to be from years back... I think somewhere along the line in the last 10-12 years the recipe has changed and as a result the mouthfeel has suffered. Very low on the carbonation scale.

D: Still quite easily one of the most drinkable beers on earth. I've had many a nights misspent in Irish pubs during my formative years taking down pint after pint till my wallet was sore and I do not regret a single bit of it. Yes it has changed somehow over the years and isn't as good as it used to be but I still love the "black stuff".

Food match: Irish stew, potatoes and indeed Guinness pie goes down a treat too. (1,905 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

The budweiser of stouts. Black water. (37 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +36.9%

The beer people love to hate for no legitimate reason, other than the fact it is the most famous stout of all time. Don't judge a beer based on its' notoriety. This is the textbook beer that "beer snobs" loathe, because it reassures the deluded perception they have that smaller always equals better. Anyways:

Appearance- Poured on tap into a guinness glass it presents a dark coffee like color, accompanied with a thick foamy head.

Smell- Subtle tones of roasted malt.

Taste- Divine. Notes of dark chocolate and malt, with faint hints of sweet cream.

Mouthfeel- Lightly carbonated and creamy. The head of a guinness on tap in unparalleled by any beer.

"StopHatingOnClassics" (683 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I've set Guinness as my default beer a few years ago and I still can't go wrong with it. (88 characters)

Smooth and toasty. Icon of mass produced dark beers. A dark beer available on most corners, and for good reason. (114 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +9.9%

Appearance – Black with the cascading foam that makes this stout famous. I had this on-top and it was filled to the top, so I didn’t get a chance to gauge the head.

Smell – The aroma is not strong, but I can pick up dark malts and chocolate and maybe even a hop balance. There’s also some light molasses sweetness to this one.

Taste – This is much drier than it smells. It has a nice sweetness with a touch of caramel malt.

Mouthfeel – I thought this was the stout’s strong point. This one is super smooth from start to finish.

Drinkability – A session stout if there ever was one. Not the hardiest one you’ll ever put down, but good nevertheless with an above-average mouthfeel. (700 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

One of the best style of beer to look at is the Irish Dry Stout. Cascading nitro style waiting period. Dark brown to black, sticky, fully coated lacing. Carbonation is almost non-existent after the pour completes itself.

Some charred barley, but like most from this style it is on the easy drinking, creamy, laid back. Watered down, tart taste, milky mouthfeel, and the drinkability is average just because I can't see myself looking forward to this or pursuing it any time soon. Once again another brew I'd prefer to try on tap, without the nitro blasting ball, but for this review in a can its simply uneventfull. (617 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -7%

Presentation: 14.9fl oz can with a built in widget (they call theirs the "Guinness Floating Draft System") for that "draught-like" quality. No freshness date.

Appearance: Absolutely pitch black with an amazing cascading effect. As the nitro-injection settles it forms a perfect finger width, creamy, foamy, tight off-white head. It's sticks to the glass and the head consistency remains all the way to the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Very pleasant aroma of sweet and roasted malts. Faint caramel note with a finishing of smoked malt.

Taste: Silky smooth mouthfeel, tremendously creamy -- so much so that I always find it difficult to not simply chug the beer in one swallow. Malt is nicely roasted with little astringency. The roasted malts give off coffee, slight chocolate and mild smoked flavors. Things dry up after this, then follows a watery-like floral hop flavor. There's a slight bite, for a brief second, that combines with a touch of roasted malt astringency. The unique roasted flavor carries through as a foundation from beginning to end. Body is medium. Finishes with a delicate roasted and dryness.

Notes: What can I say? It's not the most remarkable Stout that I've ever had. It's not very exciting compared to its siblings (yes, even on tap in Ireland). Apart from "Guinness" (the tap version) this is Guinness' top selling beer, and the most consistent as it's all too easy these days to get an inconsistent poured pint of Guinness. Personally I enjoy and appreciate the Extra Stout and Foreign Extra Stout 10 times more, but you'll find me slumming it on occasion. A mediocre beer. (1,612 characters)

Easily my favorite shelf beer. Smooth and delicious... like drinking milk. (74 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Pours very dark reddish-brown, almost black, but has a creamy pale tan head. The head is thick and lasts a long time due to the nitrogen bubbles. Reasonably good lacing down the glass, but not as much as I was expecting.

Aroma: Faint 'stout' smell of dark malts with a little roast. Also a hint of apricots.

Taste: Roast barley (although it doesn't stand out), malt (although it doesn't stand out), a slight mineral taste (although it doesn't stand out), and a touch of sourness (although it doesn't stand out).

Mouthfeel: A much lighter body than to be expected, but thickened slightly due to the soft nitrogen carbonation.

Overall: I can't shake the feeling that this world-famous beer (probably the most famous of the stouts?) relies on a combination of marketing and its nitrogen widget for its success. Attempting to disregard the aspects that the nitrogen lends to the beer, it is actually very simple and unimpressive. It's not bad, but it just isn't good. (980 characters)

Appearance- Dark brown to black appearance when poured into a glass.

Smell- Light hints of chocolate or coffee much like any stout.

Taste- Very bold flavor that is not too overpowering.

Mouthfeel- It is very smooth and very drinkable.

Love this beer. It is the standard for all stouts,imports, Irish beers and any type of beer for that matter. This is a very good beer for upcoming events such as Saint Patricks Day! (421 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

4.5/5  rDev +30.8%

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

2.7/5  rDev -21.5%

What happened! Over the past ten years (my drinking career) it seems as though this beer has been getting worse and worse. Guinness' were my first beers and they were fantastic. Now the inconsistent, anything but black color, and weak head are breaking my heart. The smell is gone and the smooth creamy taste is more of a metallic sip of tap water!? I loved this beer and feel personally wronged by those who have watered down this liquid tradition. The only remenant of the old Guinness is the way the nitro makes it feel when you drink it, but the mouthfeel simply can't stand alone. (585 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Even after I tell myself that I can drink no more beer- I always have room for a Guinness- cause it's desert! (109 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.