2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Reviews: 1932

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,741 | Reviews: 1,932 | Show All Ratings:
ORM1

Russian Federation

As to me I drank this Guinness Draught in "export-to-Finland" variant. This is a black (what else color should it be? :) ) 33 cl can with pour instructions in Finnish and English. Importer is Hartwall OY (www.hartwall.fi)
But ABV is 4,2% not 4,1%.

What can I say about the beer? Even nothing to say: just the stout like it ought to be: smoth, creamy, ground, roasted malt, vivid hops, coffee and chocolate. Every taste sight is separate and at the same time all are combined in a harmony.
I can drink it endlessly... That's why I always buy not more than 3 cans a time :)

05-15-2002 04:42:31 | More by ORM1
lampkins

Wisconsin

In my opinion the only decent stout beer that is packaged in the nitro can. Appearance is amazing and pours a silky foamy head.

Taste is fantastic, a complex taste that does not leave a bitter aftertaste that is often common with American made stouts. Some have compared the consistency of this brew to motor oil, but I disagree. Since this is a nitro mixture the beer is light, smooth and goes down easy.

05-01-2003 14:20:11 | More by lampkins
RushLimbmalt

Some people love to hate Guinness. I think it is the best Irish Dry Stout that man has created. Pitch black with it's creamy tan head that never goes away... I dig nitro dispensed beers... The light aroma of dark malts is nice and mellow. The flavor is every bit as mellow. It is a sweet and has a bit of a roasted malt bite that dry's out the finish. The hops are indiscernible in the background, but that is fine for the style. It is as good in the draught can as it is on tap. I wonder if it really is better in Ireland, but I think the American/Canadian version is pretty good. With it's low alcohol content it is easy to drink all night long.

12-13-2004 00:18:25 | More by RushLimbmalt
moyalva2003

Every bar I go I order a pint, or every party i go to I bring the 6 pack. When I pour a bottle to a glass I'm treated to a 3 minute show where it goes from a light brown to a pitch black work of art. The smell of roasted hops eases my mind, and the 1st sip is as good as the last. Guinness is my number one session beer, as its low alcohol content allows me to enjoy a 6 pack with such ease. Brilliant!!

06-08-2007 03:44:56 | More by moyalva2003
GrimmReaper

British Columbia (Canada)

Just as good as in the can,nice dark brownish black color with creamy foamy tan head that holds well and nice lacing.Coffee,malts,licorice a touch of caramel and a mild smokey smell all blend together when you inhale thru the nose,great aroma.Taste is creamy coffee with a smokey licorice and malts comming at you with some hint of nuts,all going down smooth.Looks thick but actually got a thin feel to it,goes down rather lite to tell you the truth,great brew,even though the looks of this tar colored beer looks like a thick molases milkshake,it actually is very easy to drink and a few of these a day is quite easy to do,doctor recommended too,can you believe that.

Serving type: nitro-bottle

10-14-2007 22:36:57 | More by GrimmReaper
DanDaMan77

This beer is one of my favorite beers. I have it at least twice a month. My favorite place to get a pint of guinness is at O'nearys irish pub in Brainerd Minnesota down town. I don't know what it's made of but I taste coffee, molases, not real hoppy maybe some malt. I give it a perfect score. The last part of the stout is the best part.

08-14-2010 19:57:50 | More by DanDaMan77
beersensei305

This brew will always be my favorite. Most individuals are intimidated to try it because of how dark and rich it pours. The pour from a can or on tap is iconic- and there is a particular way to pour this brew. The taste is a delicate mixture of malt and coffee. Despite its rich pour and thick head the beer is like and has a watery mouthfeel. This beer only gets better and as it warms.

10-16-2010 23:02:20 | More by beersensei305
GuinnessGuinness

It is the best thing since sliced bread! I have been a Guinness drinker since the 1990s and I will always choose this over any other beer in the world! No doubt. I love pouring and watching the head form... and the taste is like heaven. They say it's like a meal but I can drink it like water. If you don't know where to start with beers, this is it!

-Warren

Serving type: can

02-09-2011 07:31:08 | More by GuinnessGuinness
Lupuliniac

This is easily one of the best beers ever. Superb in every respect and highly sessionable. Dark and roasty, dry and refreshing. If you enjoy your coffee black, this beer will please. I can understand a hype backlash but hey I love this beer. I can't over state how perfect this beer really is, much like coca cola, I could drink this beer anywhere anytime

02-10-2011 03:03:51 | More by Lupuliniac
CoolBlueDude

I rate this beer to be top among all other beers I have reviewed on my youtube channel. I LOVE this beer. This was the first time I have had it. I recommend this beer to any style or type of beer drinker. If you are a connoisseur who likes nothing but hoppy beers like I do, you can find yourself easily falling in love with a beer of this nature. If you are a regular everyday beer drinker who likes light beers, pilsners, or even lager beer you too will find it a wonderful surprise.

This beer is so silky smooth that you hardly know you are drinking a stout, or even a beer for that matter. It is a real pleasure to drink this beer!

It has a mild aroma to it with a hint of hops and coffee.

First taste is smooth and watery that simply slides over your tongue and down your throat with such ease. Everything is so well balanced with this beer, I can’t believe anyone would rate this just an average beer? You immediately want another mouthful of this amazing beer.

The look is beautiful and the head forms from the bottom, truly something to behold.

It was crisp, clear and refreshing and when I was finished with it, I wanted to go out to buy more.

This beer has earned top shelf in my fridge and has become my "go-to" beer. I am certain you will like it. I am just a guy who likes good beer like most of you. I think we all can and should agree with me on this one. It deserves an A+

11-20-2011 05:26:14 | More by CoolBlueDude
jimilayne

The reason people knock Guinness is the same reason they dye their hair green, the need to be different and stick out. You want to sit here and rate it a 1 or a 2? Fine, go ahead and make yourself feel better. Easy 5 in my book.

7:45AM footie match at my local pub, you know what pint is getting the call.

Delicious in it's comforting flavor, warming in it's beautiful ascending volcano appearance and always dependable for it's drinkability. It's the old girlfriend you just keep going back to because you can't say no to her and you just don't quite feel right with anyone else.

Gun to my head, I might order a Guinness before the trigger is pulled.

10-22-2012 00:56:43 | More by jimilayne
NilocRellim

I spent quite a bit of time in Ireland and have since became a Guinness-snob.... I will say this: The Guinness that you get in (most of) the rest of the world is not anywhere as good as it is in Ireland. Even in Ireland you can get a bad Guinness... I found that this was caused by a few things, but more often than not it was because of a bad/dirty tap or line from the keg to the tap; I have even sent a few back when I was in Ireland because of the taste.

My rating/review is for the Guinness that you get on-tap (nitro) in Ireland.:

The bartender holds the Guinness tulip glass at a 45 degree angle until the Guinness reaches 3/4 full. The Guinness then has to settle or "cook" until the nitrogen bubbles stop flowing down the glass. Once settled the bartender holds the glass under the tap at no angle and tips the tap back, allowing the Guinness to flow more slowly, creating a nice domed head. The Guinness then settles (cooks) a second time before it should be consumed. The whole process should take 119 seconds.

The proper Guinness should be incredible black, hardly letting any light through it at all. The head should be off-white, thick (as if able to hold a coin), creamy, with no large bubbles (called frog eyes). It should not have that strong of a smell to it, but the smell should be something creamy (yes, creamy), slightly spicy, and slightly roasted barley. The taste should be very smooth... VERY smooth. It should NOT be overly bitter, but there is some there. A lot of people just say that it taste like coffee and chocolate. While a Guinness should taste of these things, none should be dominant over the rest.

Guinness from the bottle or from the can are not nearly as good because they tend not to drink as smooth. Maybe it's the aging that is done or the characteristics of the can or bottle that it picks up, but you CANNOT get anything better than Guinness on tap in Ireland.

11-30-2012 01:34:22 | More by NilocRellim
RyanLaCount03

Wisconsin

Appearance- Dark brown to black appearance when poured into a glass.

Smell- Light hints of chocolate or coffee much like any stout.

Taste- Very bold flavor that is not too overpowering.

Mouthfeel- It is very smooth and very drinkable.

Love this beer. It is the standard for all stouts,imports, Irish beers and any type of beer for that matter. This is a very good beer for upcoming events such as Saint Patricks Day!

02-27-2013 04:13:50 | More by RyanLaCount03
Keith2020

God created a beer and He named it Guinness. If you haven't had it yet, welcome to Earth. If you have had it, chances are you're not reading reviews, you're probably ordering your next Guinness. Smooth. Dense. Heavy but not daunting. History in liquid form.

11-18-2013 04:45:26 | More by Keith2020
JH7278

4.95/5  rDev +42.7%

I truly appreciate the fullness of this beer. It has a great taste and a welcoming follow. I would be happy to have this at my home. Do not be afraid of its dark color or its thick nature, she will be one of the best dark stouts you will ingest. I am amazed to say that its tastes good also in can or bottle form, although I do prefer it by the pint off the tap.

01-15-2013 18:36:51 | More by JH7278
gbarbee

4.94/5  rDev +42.4%

Appearance - Dark, smoky, and inviting. Creamy, white head that is very inviting that appears like a scoop of cream on top. Nicely carbonated and alive.

Smell - Mild smoky aroma but not overpowering. Hints of clean malt and good earth.

Taste - Hints of chocolate, malt, and clean rain. Well balanced and refreshing. Not heavy.

Mouthfeel - Light, enjoyable, and very refreshing.

Overall - This is my favorite go-to beer and the standard I judge all other beers by. I would give this beer a 5.00 but I am holding out for that perfect beer in the hopes of one day finding it. If I do not find it, I will edit my rating to a 5.00.

09-02-2013 23:30:51 | More by gbarbee
diverjim

4.93/5  rDev +42.1%

This is a very creamy tasting beer with an extremely smooth finish. A bit heavier in maltiness than most beers, but to be expected in a stout style beer. Best enjoyed a bit warmer than most Americans prefer their beer, but this allows you to really experience the full flavor and aroma of this exceptional beverage!

Not really a beer you will want to drink all night or after a heavy meal, since it will seem too rich and robust at that point, but best enjoyed early in your drinking session.

Terrific when coupled with Bass Ale to make a Black & Tan!

08-17-2012 17:27:29 | More by diverjim
tesguino

Mexico

4.9/5  rDev +41.2%

The guinness brewery put its flagship brand always on front of innovation, with this nitro can of a pint literally hit a ball of vanguard, its appearance, smell, and taste make feel like was in a irish pub widely recommendable, guinness is new brewer in my country, but start good and mantain its quality control is superior.

10-05-2005 16:32:14 | More by tesguino
dustified1234567

4.9/5  rDev +41.2%

By far my favorite Irish stout and probably my favorite beer. I just went to Ireland and to Dublin. Is there a better place todrink guinness. Well this is one beer that I love to drink the head. Not many beers can do that to you. The black color is just amazing when the taste comes out. I think that this beer can go with any meal but the best time to drink it is after dinner.The problem with being in the U.S. is that the cans and bottles however still good are just not able to cut the tast of true tap guinness.

04-16-2006 20:38:39 | More by dustified1234567
chuckp

4.9/5  rDev +41.2%

Guinness Draught is one of the best beers in the world. Guinness has a robust flavor profile that consists of hints of chocolate and coffee. If served in a clean Imperial tulip pint and poured properly, you will be hard pressed to find another beer that can match the exceptional taste and beauty of this beer.

08-07-2007 12:24:44 | More by chuckp
1759Girl

4.9/5  rDev +41.2%

What can I say? I'm a Guinness Girl, so I felt it fitting that my first review on Beer Advocate should be something that I'm very familiar with...

Appearance> Gorgeous ruby-black colour with a creamy (nitro-widget) head. The head is glossy with high retention and a champagne coloured shimmer that is mesmerizing.

Smell> Smells like home.. or where I wish home was, a large brewery. It is yeasty and biscuity, with a slight sweetness.

Taste>low bitterness, roasted sweetness, and a nice dry hang. Perfectly fits its style because, in my humble opinion, it IS the style.

Mouthfeel> Smooth, like buttah.

Drinkability> Easy to drink... Perhaps too easy. Personally, I have one almost daily... Hey! I'm a vegetarian, so I need my iron; lay off me! :) It's ' Good for You', and my granny has been prescribed it throughout her life, so I have to accept the claim... and the tasty dosage:)

09-06-2007 01:30:15 | More by 1759Girl
MrAleman

United Kingdom (England)

4.9/5  rDev +41.2%

Guinness is my favourite beer. Available in most pubs and always a good stout. Quite filling and apparently can be good for you, being fairly high in iron and everything. If there's nothing else worth having there is always a good Guinness. Good stout this one.

Serving type: can

11-26-2008 11:17:14 | More by MrAleman
stylzdlux

4.9/5  rDev +41.2%

One of my favorites! Because of it's low alcohol count I can have more than 2 pints without having that "buzz."

Delicious on tap...the can/bottle is okay if you are desperate, but the tap is where it is at...ONLY if the bartender pours it correctly.

Nicknamed "Blonde in a Black Dress" (by who knows who) Guinness is more than gimmicky paraphernalia.

04-09-2010 12:55:55 | More by stylzdlux
ant5431

Rhode Island

4.9/5  rDev +41.2%

I have drank this beer from Tap to nitro can, nitro bottle, etc, etc. and have loved everyone of them!
From that beautiful looking head and great look as it all comes together and settles for a minute or so! Perfection!
Then that creamy chocolate aroma hits the nose and my mouth starts to water in anticipation of that O so wonderful creamy full taste I can drink this beer forever!
Thank you Mr. Guinness!!!

03-21-2011 20:19:27 | More by ant5431
justinkirby

4.9/5  rDev +41.2%

I just tried this. Heard so many bad things. I'll just say I really liked it. Very flavorful almost nutty. Intense feel. Nice head. Very good. Would definitely drink again. I loved it. Tried twice. Liked better cold. More flavor. Bitter but still good.

03-13-2013 23:43:51 | More by justinkirby
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.