Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

YOUR RATING = None |
Read the review

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland | website

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,182 | Ratings: 7,289

Nice full bodied beer. The taste is wonderful. It is a bit heavy and not for cooling off on a hot summer day. But if you like beer that tastes like beer then this is the beer for you.

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Smooth genuine wonderful like burnt ends and onion rings on some white bread with good bbq sauce. Maybe not the best but hey like moms potato salad and fried chicken it's familiar consistent delicious.

2.05/5  rDev -40.6%

Meh. I wanted to like it, because it is a classic, isn't it? Loved by many, but I couldn't finish the glass. I like the creamy head, but the taste is like bitter water, without carbonation, without any aroma, without a body and without a hint of sweetness. Beer without the tiniest hint of sweetness is a no go for me.
That said, Guinness has two awesome, in every way superiour beers: the fabulous West Indies Porter and the Special Export.

3.56/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Jet black, smooth, creamy, malty, roasty with a little char. A light-bodied stout that comes in light on taste and aroma but is enjoyably smooth and very easy to drink. Hops manifest themselves with a moderate bitterness that hits midway through and lingers a touch after the pint glass settles on the table.

4.83/5  rDev +40%

A pint of the black stuff. Creamy with low carbonation. Easy to drink with low alcohol content which makes it easier to drink all night long. A beer that should be poured into a glass and enjoyed.

3.35/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

From tap at Red Robin (Home of the Brew or some other such nonsense. That's a story for another day. Great burgers, but not a home for anything but average brews) waiting for Jordyn and Leah. Has a creamy mouth feel, but that's about all that it had going for it. Average taste if anything can be said about this. Slightly flavored water is about all I can say.

3.36/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Gives of a nice black color, minimal head and some lacings on the glass.
aroma is mostly of roasted malts and cofee. Taste roasted malts, water and some small hop notes.
very watery and that combine that with low carbonation this is not my preferable beer.
Is a ok beer , but nothing more than okay

3.53/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Black with ruby see through draft pour; thick and creamy, four finger head which quickly settled to a firm off white cap; good clarity. Lite roast malt nose. Lite roast malt flavor with a dry roast and dark bread finish. Creamy lite mouthfeel; moderate carbonation. Lite roast linger - ok.

3.68/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

A- Pours a deep black with that absolutely classic, beautiful creamy beige head that Guinness is known for.

S- Not much going on here. Burnt, toasted malts with some chocolate hints.

T- follows the nose, with burnt malts being the primary flavor.

F- Very smooth thanks to the nitro, but with a light body due to the low ABV.

O- A true classic. Are there much better craft beers out there? Sure, but as an Irish guy, something about drinking this just feels so damn right.

4.21/5  rDev +22%

This is the one. If you want to try a nice black color beer, go try it.

The colors is a perfect black. Take a special attention when pouring it, the color change from brown to pitch black. The SRM color is way over 40.

The IBU, is not pronounced at all. You'll discover some nice taste, like molasses and other spices.

The 440 ml can retailed for 3.75$ (CAD) for an ABV of 4.2 %

3.56/5  rDev +3.2%

My first love.. perhaps my first non BMC ( maybe Lowenbrau or Sam Adams) back in the 90's . Of course it is lackluster these days, with so many quality alternatives popping up. But it is still a fine beer. Still pick it up from time to time as it's reasonably priced and a familiar friend. I feel it gets alot of undeserved hate.

4.21/5  rDev +22%

Pours dark with a nice creamy head. One of my favorites makes sure your bartender knows how to pour it never want to drink a Guinness before it has settled.

2.8/5  rDev -18.8%

I really like the look and smell of dark beers, but my palate doesn't like bitter coffee flavored beer.
But I'll keep trying different ones till I find one that pleases my tongue. lol

4.18/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

You either love it or hate it. I personally have always been a fan of this Guinness - some being better than others. Overall, I just really enjoy I well poured Guinness. Rich, creamy, and smooth with a roast hint to it. That's my extremely amateur review (I'm just now starting to learn this).

4.38/5  rDev +27%

Poured correctly from 16 oz can into pint glass. Pours a gorgeous jet black/dark ruby red color. Amazing to look at. Retains it's tan, creamy head for a long time and leaves nice spots of lacing.
Smells of roasted malt, and chocolate milk.
Tastes of dark chocolate, coffee and roasted malt. Delicious.
Mouthful is light, no carbonation. Dry finish, absolutely excellent.
Overall, Guinness is the go to stout deliciousness I like.
Absolutely amazing.

3.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Look: Thick, super creamy white head that just doesn't go away. Jet black body.

Smell: Not much here, but slightly spicy roastiness and a hint of chocolate.

Taste: Mainly slightly spicy roastiness.

Feel: Watery body, very low carbonation, but that's to be expected from the nitro. Pleasantly dry.

3.83/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured well, this beer is extremely enticing. Black as night and a creamy finger of sturdy white foam that lasts the duration.

Milk chocolate, roasted malt, and some sweet cream/vanilla notes. All rather subtle.

Dark roast coffee, some subtle chocolate malt notes, and overall nice and roasty in character.

Medium-heavy bodied, medium carbonation, creamy smooth, subtle sweetness, dry finish.

Overall, when poured correctly this looks as good as any high quality brew and has a silky smooth mouthfeel, but overall it lacks a rich aroma and flavor. An easy drinking stout for sure.

3.78/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

It has a great sized and creamy tan head. There is a dark amber color in the light, but it looks incredibly dark brown without the light. There are light brown notes fizzing up to the thick head. The head lasts very long, it lasts till the drink is gone. Smells like a fine roasted and creamy coffee. There is a faint chocolate aroma as well. Tastes creamy and of slightly sweety malts. What bitterness there is, is a smoky coffee taste. The mouthfeel is light, like a very liquidated milkshake. While it does have some stout like creaminess and weight, it is surprisingly light weight in comparison to some stouts. Overall, this is probably the greatest easily available stout or Irish beer in my book.

4.28/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a great,smooth beer. It is wonderfully easy to drink and it has a very full taste. I enjoy Guinness Draught on most occasions and whenever I can find it on draft, I'm sold!

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%

Believe it or not, I made it until this St. Patricks' Day season without having a Guinness. But honestly, it's better than I expected.

This beer is beautiful to look at. It's black as night with some ruby red colors if you hold it up to the light. Just amazing, one of the best-looking beers on the market. 5 out of 5.

It smells like some dark roast coffee and maybe a bit of hops, but mostly it's just roasty and dark-smelling. Pretty good, 4 out of 5.

I know a lot of people complain about this beer not having much taste, but I just can't see it. It's got a dark chocolate and coffee bean taste to it. It's not sweet in the slightest, but it's almost as if it were made to be sweet but just didn't have the sugar added. It's a great-tasting beer, and goes down really easy for a stout.

I mean, Guinness doesn't have the greatest mouthfeel. It's a bit watery, and too thin for a stout. Nonetheless, it doesn't detract much from the experience, so that's excusable.

Overall, it's a good beer. I understand why some people who like Russian Imperial Stouts may look down on Guinness, because it isn't in the same league as beers like that go. But as an Irish Dry Stout, it's pretty damn good, and fantastic for the amount that's produced.

3.39/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into bubbled pint glass, despite recommendation to "enjoy straight from the bottle." At only 11 oz, I see why. Microbubbled head. Dark but clear.

Smells of coal and roast.

Taste: the roast is faint coffee, watery with some skunk. Flavor is almost ghostly.

Mouth is very smooth, not thick at all. Leaves your throat wet.

Guiness is "baby's first stout." A refresher that isn't over roasted or creamy. A watery, casual flirtation with darker beer. It's okay to look, boys.

3.39/5  rDev -1.7%

L= Ok, this beer looks wonderful poured into a pint glass. It's a show to watch.
S= Lighter than I expected. You pick up on the coffee and malt notes, but not a lot.
T= Not what I expected. It is meant to drink all night long so I knew it was going to be on the light side, but I was still expecting more. Still, I'd sit down and watch a football match and drink this all day.
F= More watery than I would have thought.
O= Not bad. I get how people can drink a ton of this during a night out. Definitely would have this again.

2.82/5  rDev -18.3%

I have been looking for a beer that has the roasted quality of this one. I have been craving something like this in my head, but without ever having tasted anything that got close. After my first sip, I said aloud "I have finally found it". Unfortunately, I had changed my mind a few sips later.

Sure, the roastiness is superb. Yes, the coffee notes are delicious. And it is also the best looking beer that I have ever laid my eyes on.
BUT......
Eventually, I noticed that there is a metallic wing to it at the finish. Not pleasant at all. Secondly, the beer is far too watery. If it had more body, a tad more bitterness, and if the metal taste was taken away it would be my go-to beer.

2.26/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

I only bought this to get the Untappd badge...

Black beer with a creamy,beige-brown head.
Not much of a nose. Just a hint of roasted malt.
A small taste of roasted malt, a little bit of coffee and nothing more...
Smooth with a dry ending. Almost no carbonation. Waterish mouthfeel.

3.65/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I purchased a four pack of cans from a Pick N Save in Weston, WI. Guinness pours a dark hue with a thick head and a fantastic lacing. This is truly a beautiful looking beer. The aroma gives off hints of cocoa and roast malts but nothing really stands out and wows me. The taste is very smooth and watery with slight hints of cocoa and roast malt. This is cool to drink on St. Patrick's Day but all in all I have had better stouts before.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.