Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,691 | Reviews: 2,222

bleach. The can was a good idea and was a decent substitute for the pub pour if you were absolutely jonesing for a Guinness. The bottle is just a abomination. To get it to work all the beer flavor was sacrificed leaving a pallid, artificial tasting black, alcoholic liquid. Guinness has gone too far this time. In an attempt to garner even more of the market it is giving its flagship beer a black eye. Part of the beauty of a pint of Guinness is in the pour, the cascade and that fact that you're in a pub. Now with this bottle shit you can sit on the couch in your your underwear drinking Guinness as you would a bud light. Shame on them.

what a waste this beer is so lame in a can.
appearance black with chucks at the bottom vague head that disappears quickly. faint sense of beer
taste like a cheap beer watery taste not thick like a stout should be.
mouthfeel same as taste
blah not going to finish this it's that bad.

Given that it is designed to drank out of the bottle, 1 for appearance. Smell is almost non-existent, but when I get a whiff, it is empty and skunky and gross. 1. Taste (if any) is flat, watery, and every sip is forced down. Feel is so terrible I wish I could give it a negative 10. Feels like cough medicine - the texture is just weird. Horrible, horrible drink.

Tastes horrible. Too.much dry

Guinness Draught pours a midnight red from a 11.2oz black plastic with cream white trim, covered glass bottle. Head goes to well over two fingers and after the nitro settles out, leaves a frothy cap, that stays for ever.

Nose is of damp charcoal and nitrogen, mixed with whiffs of alcohol. Palate is a hops bitter, tempered by the nitro, leaving me wanting more, but getting less.

This brew is all show and no go, give me the malts, give me the hops, and give me the alcohol, the quaff of nitro does not empress me in the least.

I want the stout!!!

I have stoped drinking this stuff, I can't really call it "Guinness" any more.

I am also re-reviewing this stuff... It's going to be all 1's... I have never given a beer all 1's before in my life!

I for one am tired of being exploited, I have been asked about boycotting before, but did not jump on the band wagon... this... this is sacrilege!

Just say no to "Guinness"

1.03/5  rDev -70.8%

I love me a Guinness on tap, to the point where I'll pay a pretty steep price for a pint at my local hippie bar that knows how to pour one correctly. (And they even draw a cool little shamrock on the foam).

I love savoring a pint or two with some good friends, some good pub grub, or just nursing a couple because they just taste so damn good.

That being said: Just what in the HELL is this shit? Tried a can at home, foolishly thinking I could maybe, just maybe, recreate some of the joy I get from a real Guinness on tap.

I've nothing to add to the other "F" reviews other than to say this swill is total crap, a waste of money and a blight on the name of Guinness.

1.06/5  rDev -70%

During my college years beer drinkers that could be seen in bars locally could be classified into several types: consumers of crappy domestic beers, flocks of corona drinking females , imported lager consuming douchebags full of themselves and themselves full of shit and atop of all were fake beer-aristocrats, the Guinness devotees claiming »I drink only good beer« (Common myth was that Guinness has such a dense head that a coin put on wouldn't sink).
Guinness is my favorite brewery too, in a negative way. It seems to be suffering from reversed Midas syndrome as everything they touch turns into crap instead of gold as I haven't came accross with decent product of theirs yet. Now I'm tasting their Draught from some morbid curiosity and I'm not disappointed - Guinness never fails to justify my low expectations. Guinness Draught is an excellent example of what happens when Marketing Department gets more founds than Research & Quality Control. To the beer: Can with best before date 13.08.2010. The pouring into tulip reveals rather opaque dark muddy brown fluid topped with ¼ of inch thin firm beige head that lasts. Apart from light acidic sourness and quite imperceptible alcohol nothing else is detected, maybe just a hint of bitter chocolate. Where is the coffee like aroma of burnt barley /barley malt so typical of a stout? Dominant flavor of this slush is acidic sourness derived from cereal roasting accompanied by unpleasant bitterness of charred organic matter. Now, I'd expect at least a decent coffee finish but that's probably to much to ask of a Guinness. All in all the flavor profile is of bone-charcoal decomposing in water. The body is watery - probably a desperate attempt to enhance the drinkability - with zero carbonation. The above written refers to sampling from a tulip, directly from the can everything was even worse.
»Serve extra cold« - of course I will, cuz anesthetizing the tastebuds by freeze is the only way to at least to some degree hide the crappish character of this beer. Ironically, there is even a quality warrant signature of Arth Guinness on the can, the same way as there is a central-bank governor 's name printed on banknotes assuring their authenticity and stability of the monetary system.
Finaly: What is this - a sort of bizarre experiment how much crappishness can be bottled/canned and people will still be drinking it? This brew hits the absolute zero on quality scale. He (Guinness) has gone where no one else has gone before.

1.18/5  rDev -66.6%

Had this on tap at a Red Robin’s. Pours a dark brown with a light off-white head. The aroma is a very subtle roasted malts. Flavor is water and a touch of roasted malts. Has a light, very watery mouthfeel. Sadly, I enjoyed my water from the restaurant more than this.

1.23/5  rDev -65.2%

A lovely poured beer, beer and dark, thick tan head. Simply what a stout should look like.

The problem is there's nothing after this. It's a watered down beer, with some burt malt and coffee/chocolate flavors that are so subtle I may have just imagined them. The mouth feel is far thicker than the beer is, and I'm not sure what the point of this is. You can drink a LOT of this in a night but why on earth would you? It is hard to drink because it doesn't taste good.

This is a light stout and I'm frankly not sure why it's so popular. Sadly beer drinkers think it's a thick heavy dinner beer.

I keep drying this when I'm out expect to discover there's a magical tap that fixes all this beers problems but at the end of the day a beer needs flavor to be good and this beer simply doesn't have any.

1.24/5  rDev -64.9%

I'm spending Christmas with my parent's, and my dad loves this stuff and has a lot of it lying around the house, so I figured I'd have a bottle. Definitely not what I remember it being from my college days.

Appearance: Absolutely gorgeous pour into a pint glass. Nice cascading effect, with a good 3/4 inch of a thick, creamy head. Unfortunately everything good ends here.

Smell: Doesn't smell like much. Water with a faint hint of dark malts.

Taste/mouthfeel: Almost exactly like the smell. Very smooth and creamy, but watery. Not much of a taste at all. This is supposed to be a stout? It tastes as if steeped a small amount of roasted barley in water and bottled it. What happened to this beer? Has the quality changed over the years, or just my pallet? Very disappointing, and definitely not what I remember it being.

Drinkablilty: I finished about half the glass, and gave the rest a drain pour. I haven't done this to too many beers, but I just couldn't finish this one. I thought I was going to throw up.

1.3/5  rDev -63.2%

My son loves this beer and he can have it. It has no taste to me what so ever. I don't see what the fuss is about this beer. It looks good only because it resembles chocolate, but it just tastes bad. I know alot of people love this beer, just not all of us.

1.35/5  rDev -61.8%

It's hard for me to believe that I once actually liked this stout. I don't know whether their formula changed, my tastes changed, or some combination.

Pouring from bottle into a standard glass, there seems to be carbonation, and there is even a nice head that lasts a little while. The color is suitably black.

Smell is of black coffee and roasted "stuff," but fairly mild.

Taste - to me, just terrible. Like weak black coffee with other burnt flavors that I can't quite identify. Despite the head, there is almost no carbonation whatsoever. Almost totally flat. This was not an isolated incident. The previous couple of times I've had this over the past 2 or 3 years - same thing. I hadn't tried it again in quite a while, and forgot just how bad it tasted.

There is some creaminess in the mouth - and yet, somehow, it feels watery.

I had this at a restaurant, and I honestly was able to down only about the first 4 ounces before I gave up. My wife sipped it, and wouldn't have any more. My son drank maybe an ounce, made a face, and gave up. We left the restaurant with still at least 6 ounces left in the glass.

1.36/5  rDev -61.5%

Guinness, why are you wasting my time with this gimmicky crap? Oh yeah, because there are far more idiots who drink beer than there are true beer lovers, and you want to tap into that market. Sellout, I say.

1.42/5  rDev -59.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Taste just the same as the draught and can:
Utterly revolting, thin, lightly roasty body meets with rancid bitterness, body is smooth and watery, not really a good example of a stout, although i'm sure once upon a time it was. It has a nice appearance though (deep black colour, with a nice creamy head). But besides that, this is easily the most overated beer on this site and on earth for that matter. Cat piss and vomit in one, the Budweiser of Stouts, gives stouts a bad name.

1.42/5  rDev -59.8%

First, I am not an expert on beer, but I do love beer and drink and enjoy them a lot.

A: It looks dark, just like coffee with some redish. I like the color, since it remind me of red wines.

S: It smells like carbonated-chocolate, not good smell.

T: It tastes bitter and watery. It is horrible. I rather drink water than it.

M: I really don't know how to say it, but it tastes like bitter medicine which my mom used to force me to drink when I was a kid. It is horrible.

O: The worst beer I have ever encountered. I have signed up here because I want to write a review of this horrible beer.

There is only little tiny beer taste to this stout. It doesn't taste something more than bitter, and is similar to Chinese medicine with straight ingredients. I tried to like it, but since I have already tried 4 cans and I can't even finish 25% of them. I have no choice but to hate it.

The last bad beer I tried is Budweiser, King of Beer; although bad, I can still manage to finish the whole can. This guinness is definitely not something I want to even touch in the future.

1.42/5  rDev -59.8%

Well, a fancy nitro-can of Guinness. Never got around to buying this stuff mainly because it's so dammed expensive, and there's always something else I'm in the mood for. I got this can for free.

Appearance - Wow. This beer looks cool. Nice cascading, rippling effect of the beer settling. Looks good for a stout.

Smell - faint toasty aroma. Not much else.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Faint toasted malt - VERY faint. No hop character to speak of. This tastes incredibly watered down, and I'm very surprised. All I ever heard is how "rich and creamy" Guinness is. This is pathetic. I don't wan't to finish this. I'm pouring the rest out in my sink.

Stout water?

1.46/5  rDev -58.6%

3.0 A: Pours a dark brown. Looking at this beer makes you think that perhaps it will be good.

2.0 S: Somewhat malty, not much of anything really.

1.0 T: Tastes of bitter water.

2.0 M: Creaminess is nice, but that fact that even the cream is tastless makes its creaminess an even greater liability.

1.0 D: Drinkable in the same sense that Keystone is drinkable.

This is not the worst beer ever, but it certainly is the most overrated. If you disagree with me then you are insane. I am not trying to troll, but the fact that I am relatively new to the world of fine beers and this one was easy to point out as terrible and tasteless, I should be allowed to make such a caustic statement.

1.47/5  rDev -58.4%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

After drinking most of it from the bottle, I poured rest into a glass. Dark ruby black color. Good head retention, some lacing. But who cares, this stuff is to be consumed from the bottle not a glass so I had to give a 1 for appearance. Aroma was skunky in the bottle and in a glass. Flavor, what flavor, watery. Was best when ice cold (crappy when not ice cold.) Weak, thin and flat. Label should say "Watery Guinness Light". Screw the widget rocket. Maybe I had a six that was stored upside down and the nitro escaped into the bottle so when I opened it up, the nitro got out causing a flat and tasteless beer. Who cares, at the going price, there are too many other good beers to be drunk.

Guinness on tap rules.

1.5/5  rDev -57.5%

Can't see the beer through the bottle. Where is the "Sound" Category? I would definintely give the clinking of the plastic thing in the bottle a 4.5. Doesn't smell like anything. Taste? No not really. A bit of muted sweetness and some cocoa. The mouthfeel is watery and flaccid. This is terrible.

1.53/5  rDev -56.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Decades ago, my very first “big” beer after being weaned from Miller and Bud was a Guinness Extra Stout. My father had visited Ireland and brought home a bottle or two straight from the source and it was simply amazing. Even then, I knew I’d never go back to the yellow stuff again.

That was more than three decades ago. Since then, my palate has matured and my beer tastes have grown more complex. Even so, I was surprised to feel so disappointed on my recent reunion with my one-time favorite.

Since I’d bought a six of the new and improved nitro bottles, I had two tastings – the first in a glass so I could judge the color, etc., and a second one so I could savor it as it was designed to be had – straight from the bottle. I knew this would be different from the "extra" that I'd enjoyed so long ago, but I never expected to be so, well, bummed over the absolute blandness of this beer.

Served in a glass, I could appreciate the dark brown color and creamy head. Frankly, there was absolutely nothing noteworthy about the smell. The words smoky and creamy come to mind, but that would suggest that there was something substantial about it, and sad to say, that just wasn’t the case.

And even sadder, that lack of substance translated to the flavor as well. There’s a very mild, malty sweetness there, and again hints of smokiness – all from the roasted barley of course – but that’s really it.

The mouthfeel is flat; and the finish was more chalky than dry.

As for the second sampling, which was had straight from the bottle as suggested, well, lets just say while I know Guinness is something of a classic, based on this sampling, its really more hype than substance.

1.54/5  rDev -56.4%

Looked great with an awesome creamy head. Beat lacing imaginable. However that's where the goodness ends. Like most mainstream import beers I feel Guinness has toned.down it's flavor to appealto Amercan beer drinkers. The smell was absent and the taste was barely there. Watery with only a hint of roasted cocoa. I will never drink this beer in the US again.

1.56/5  rDev -55.8%

Hum, I am one who probably is so accustomed to mass produced beers in the USA that this monster will never, ever be included in by beer "to drink list." Such a horrendous hour of trying to swallow this tragedy. Ugly, flat, mouth-drying, uneven and just plain gross. The incredibly overpowering heaviness was such that I truly, truly considered returning it to the bartender. I trooped on, though and finished it in protest. An ungodly representaion of beer and will never voluntarily consume again.

1.56/5  rDev -55.8%

A: Pours a very dark brown almost black with a creamy two finger off white head. Settles to a one finger head that lasts the entire time and leaves great thick creamy lacing.

S: Roasted malt is basically all there is. Pretty weak smell.

T: Roasted malt just like the aroma has a bitter finish. Very watery.

M: Very light carbonation with a body that's so light I think I'm drinking water.

D: The appearance is about the only thing that does it for me with this beer. Other then that I just find it very weak in all aspects.

1.58/5  rDev -55.2%

Pours out a cloudy pale that falls like a waterfall into black with a thick head that stays throughout the whole beer. The smell is roasty and light with some sweet molasses tones in it. Taste is watery and it's hard to detect, but once you get a taste it's not great. The roasty flavors have turned into a chemical flavor that makes me cringe. The mouthfeel is watery and unimpressive. I don't think I'll ever have this ever again.

1.58/5  rDev -55.2%

A: Dark reddish brown. Creamy head.
S: Smells creamy with some subtle hop smells.
T: Tastes like water. Maybe only the slightest hint of hops there but I could down this like a soda water.
M: Like water. The nitro bubbles didn't really add anything due to the extremely light body of the beer.

Overall a terrible brew. I had a debate with my friends if MGD was better which is sad. I don't see what Guinness is getting at here. I was thinking beer for the masses but this was just like a soda water. I wish I had ordered a San Pelligrino instead.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.