Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev +2%

Had this (most recently) at Buffalo Wild Wings. The beer of course looks fantastic. Guinness has a very unique (as far as I'm concerned) look. Being Pitch black with a THICK, CREAMY head that lasts forever, it is one of the most daunting (readily available) beers for people to try. Its very cool to watch the beer settle, I never take a sip, and usually don't take my eyes off of the glass till its done. It Smells bitter, can't really pick out any particulars. It tastes good. To me its a very subtly flavour. tasted a little smokey, a little bitter. My girlfriend said it tasted like Bacon... but I have no idea what she was talking about. the mouthfeel again, is very unique to me. has a flat, but still carbonated feel. I like it. its a nice change of pace from your typical beer. Its a slow drink and I can normally only take 2 or 3 before I switch to something else.

3.58/5  rDev +2%

Kinda' dull aroma, but better than most nitro-cans. Ends up being slightly sweet water quality with a bit of dark malt. Rock steady head after the show. Black with red tints. Good looking beer. Nitro can flavor, similar to all others. Malty bitterness, not unpleasant or excessive. Dark malt. Long bitter finish. Well balanced mouthfeel, a little thin but flatter carbonation (which I like). Very smooth. Good versatile beer.

3.58/5  rDev +2%

Having consumed a great deal of this beer over the years, I finally decided to review it. I poured a 14.9oz nitro can into a pint glass, which fit it perfectly.

Appearance: extremely dark amber with a thick foamy head, courtesy of the nitro widget.

Smell: smell is slightly malty but very subtle; there doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on here.

Taste: malty, dry, somewhat astringent. Not a whole lot of complexity, but it is well-balanced and otherwise tasty.

Mouthfeel: pretty full-bodied and creamy. I think we can thank the nitro again.

Drinkability: though its thick body has earned it the "liquid bread" moniker, I can drink quite a lot of this. It goes down smooth and isn't so oppressive that I can't have another.

3.58/5  rDev +2%

Had on tap so many times I can't remember them all. Black as hell and red in the light with big whip cream looking white head. I don't think it really smells like much, sweet cream comes to mind though. Tastes a little malty with a hoppy bitterness and the creamiest and greatest mouthfeel of all time. Many has been the time I've knocked back pints in the double digits of this black brew. Highest drinkability of any beer beccause its so damned smooth. Definately my favourite easily accessible beer, not enough I can say about Guinness Draught except that I need to try it in Ireland.

I've decided I've become fed up with the increasing shittiness of Guinness on tap. Every time I have a pint it becomes more watery and disappointing.

3.58/5  rDev +2%

Slowly poured into a pint glass, the beer at first looks like a glass of moving sand. As the beer begins to settle and the cascading effect kicks in, a beautiful scene in a glass takes place. Soon, a white, creamy lace head stands atop an almost black body of beer, with ruby/brown trim. It also shows sheets of lace down the glass.
Draught smells of dark chocolate and coffee, and tastes malty and bready with sharp coffee/cocoa accents. A burnt malt and tangy hop aftertaste is noticeable after each sip. There is also a very slight metallic tang. The beer mellows as it warms.
Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth, and has no carbonation. It offers a thin mouthfeel, and glides away very quickly, effortless to drink. It’s smooth as silk. Not bad, and can be found anywhere. I think I prefer Murphy's first, Beamish next, if I have the option.

cheers...

3.58/5  rDev +2%

Guiness is a solid beer, its all about where you get it, you need to get it on tap, and it needs to be fresh, it makes a difference people.

You can have a guinness at one place, and have one at another, and they are totally different.

If you go to Ireland, I am sure they are amazing.

Still a good beer, if you get a good pour, it is top notch.

We all know what its about, dark, stout, yadda yadda, but if you go to a place that has good guinness on tap...good stuff, a solid stout.

3.58/5  rDev +2%

The appearance is very dark brown to black. Head is tan and is the last thing to go down. In the smell, caramel is the first thing that comes to mind with a hint of coffee as well. The taste has a coffee flavor with a sweet aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth but unexpectedly thin. It was also a bit more flat feeling then I expected. Overall it's good, but must get use to it feeling less carbonated.

I've had it by bottle, can, and on-tap and of the three, I'd recommend getting this one on-tap. Nitro-cans are better then Nitro-bottles if you want to drink it out of a glass at home.

3.58/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a nitro can.

A - Dark brown, creamy white 2 finger head, excellent retention.

S - Not a whole lot going on here, mild malts and coffee.

T - Subdued toasted malts, coffee.

M - Mdeium bodied

D - Simple yet effective, good session stout.

3.58/5  rDev +2%

Poured into a pint glass.

This was one of the darker beers that I have had, so far. It poured a nice thick head that left fairly decent lace. Color was near pitch black.

Smell and taste was of all malts. Not many hops at all. Very roasty and rich.Some chocolate in there.

Moutfeel was smooth and creamy. Decent amount of carbonation. Probably one of the better aspects to this beer.

Overall, not to bad for something that is a beer that people talk about all the time. (or at least what my college buddies say to be one of the biggest beers of all time). Decent drinkability if it's your thing.

Serving: Nitro-tap into 20oz imperial pint
Served: 28 September 2013

Appearance: This is a beautiful beer on nitro-tap. Pitch black with a one-finger foamy, dirty white, creamy head that just sits there forever, floating on top of the beer. One of the best looking beers one can ask for.

Smell: This is where Guinness begins to disappoint the craft beer drinker- the smell is practically non-existent. Unfortunately, there are very few dark-roasty malt notes to pick out in the nose. The beer, at this point, seems rather uninspiring because it practically smells like nothing.

Taste: Okay, so on nitro-tap this one definitely tastes different than other formats. I would not drink Guinness on anything but nitro. You can taste some roastiness, but not much. The beer is rather flavorless until you swallow, when just a kiss the the dark roasted coffee and dark chocolate notes common to stouts come out.

Mouthfeel: Great mouthfeel due to the nitro line. Very silky. After the beer was about 3/4 gone though, it started to feel a bit watery.

Overall: If every beer could look like Guinness (masterful head that just sits there), no beer drinker would ever go unhappy. However, character goes deeper than appearance and, unfortunately, Guinness isn't all that it's cracked up to be underneath the incredible looks. A watered-down, diminished taste for a beer that looks absolutely incredible. I would get this on tap if better options weren't available and may purchase in nitro-cans if hosting parties or making Poor Man's Velvets, but would not purchase in a non-nitro format. I fear that the wateriness would be all too evident in other formats.

3.58/5  rDev +2%

poured from a 440cl can. When cracked open you hear two clicks one of the can clicking open and the other of the nitrogen cartridge being opened.

the is a creamy head that doesnt go anywhere. almost totally black but i have had darker stouts.

smell is that of dark malts, and hops, maybe slight coffee.

taste first of all you get bitterness, then some dark roasted malt creamy head. some taste of liquorice a bit of coffee.deep flavour. slight smokeyness. its better on tap!
mouthfeel slight carbonation but very creamy head.

its easy drinking unless the only beer you have every had is watery lager.

3.58/5  rDev +2%

Presentation: This beer had a nice big cascade into a traditional ridged pint glass. A finger-and-a-half thick head sat atop the beer, with great retention. There wasn't a lot of carbonation evident. The scent wasn't very remarkable; there were slight hints of chocolate and malt, but not much else.

Tasting: Guinness is a satisfying pub stout and session brew. It was rather dry, without real hop bitterness. Malts dominated the tongue, as well as a bit of chocolate. It's a full-bodied beer, which I liked, and it's very easy to drink, mainly because of the low alcohol content.

Poured well, this is a fine beer. I recommend it for anyone who is looking to try "better beer" in this category. There certainly are more adventurous stouts, but this is a good start.

3.58/5  rDev +2%

Pours out a blackish color with a tan head. Does that weird but neat cascade thing, suppose that is worth some points there. Smells faintly smokey and mildly astringent. Taste is smokey, mildly bitter tobacco leaf, some very faint flat beer flavors likely from pasteurization. Jeez, why pasteurize? Anyway, that in fact is probably what kills this beer in the flavor department, but I admit it is still quite smooooth and creamy. Anyway, not a hugely inspiring brew but could go well with a pub burger, or better in yet, in my corn beef recipe.

3.58/5  rDev +2%

On tap. Waitress brought other drinks to the table and said my Guinness would be a few minutes. I took this as a good sign that a proper pour was being done. When my pint arrived it was still settling, most of the glass showed a light foaming brown, with just black showing. I watched as the pour settled, but did end up with close to a full serving. The beige head held on through the drink, with lots of lacing left n the sides. Dark black in color. The aroma is sweet and roasted malt, not heavy though. Flavor is smooth roasted malt, with just a hint of bitterness in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Enjoying this on tap far exceeds the bottle experience.

3.58/5  rDev +2%

A- pours a very classic dark dark brown with a good amount of froathy white head
S- barley, malt, fresh, a good dry
T- malty, barley, some bread notes
M- really creamy and smooth, yacht rock smooth
D- very good, a much lower abv than most people think

Conan O'brien jokes as this beer being "liquified pumpernickel bread"

3.58/5  rDev +2%

A- Pours a deep dark black color, looks like a cup of coffee with caramel colored creamy milk foam on top. On draft at the local in Mpls, poured in 3 stages to let settle.

S- Very light, some roast, chocolate.

T- Light malt character, slight sour, dry, chocolate/slight aromatic espresso.

M- Crisp, clean, smooth and creamy, light in body.

D- Easily drinkable beer, low ABV, refreshing, light in texture, low carbonation, good serving temp.

This beer always finds its way onto my list of good solid "go to" beers, can't go wrong with a pint of the black stuff when at a good Irish Pub. Also goes very well with chocolate desserts.

3.58/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a 14.9 oz. nitro-can into a nonic imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a jet black color. Has a large, creamy white head that never really dissipates. That nitro really adds to the appearance. Hopefully, the taste isn't affected too much.

Smell: Chocolaty and coffee-ish. Pretty typical stout territory here.

Taste: The flavor is honestly a little light here. I'm worried that the nitro might be adversely affecting the flavor here. I've encountered this before with other beers from nitro-cans, so it wasn't completely unexpected. What flavor is here is pretty much typical stout territory. Roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee flavors pretty much dominate this beer.

Mouthfeel: This beer is pretty smooth and reasonably full-bodied.

Drinkability: This beer is pretty drinkable and I'd certainly have it again. I am worried about the effects of the nitro but it doesn't really take away from the drinkability. This beer is still worth a try and I'm sure I'll have it again at some point.

3.58/5  rDev +2%

Had this guy poured from one of the 16 oz cans into a talll beer mug. I have no idea why so many people score this low on appearance -it's a very nice looking beer. Solid black with a thick, creamy, half inch tan head that stays the whole time leaving massive amounts of lacing. Amber bubbles that go backwards due to the whole nitro tap thing... How could this score under 4.5? Smells great at first, roasted malt, a bit of chocolate. Very inviting. Tastes very dry ( as is appropirate) with a bit of roasted malt flavor and a clean finish. The mouthfeel is nothing but creamy. As it warms the smell proves to be less complex as you might hope for in this style, but it's still pleasant. This is a very drinkable beer -it deserves its global following I think.

3.58/5  rDev +2%

A - Dark, reddish brown. Creamy nitro-head and sticky lace.

S - Roasted, coffee aromas dominate, with some grainy notes.

T - Toasted bitterness and a slight tartness. Dry, slightly hoppy finish.

M - Medium bodied- maybe light for a stout? Could be I'm spoiled on that count.

D - Decent. I prefer this to the extra stout, although maybe it's the nitro and not the beer. Gimmick or not, the nitro-head is a goodthing.

3.59/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

OK, you can dislike Guiness, but you gotta admit, it's really wonderful... what a perfect appearance for a drink! Blackness is perfect, the persistent and creamy/dense foam is incredible.
Unfortunately, smell is almost null. The foam is there to be seen, not be smelled or tasted.
In the taste you can feel nice chocolate and coffe tones, really enjoyable.. but there's almost no malts or hops in it the taste.
Body is really light and delightful, all the carbon goes to the foam and the carbonation goes to zero.

3.59/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 14.9 ounce nitro-can into a shaker pint. The label assures me that this is brewed in Dublin, Ireland. Of course, you get this pssst and some foam overflowing the can as you crack it. A gentle pour produces wildly cascading, settling froth. I can just barely get the beer into the glass with a slight dome of a head over the top. The head stays creamy throughout, leaving lacing along the sides of the glass. I really enjoy the effect of these nitro balls.

I get that typical mineral smell and flavor that I've noticed in many another old world brew. The nitro really brings this flavor out, and contributes to a very creamy mouth feel that would seem more watery without it. Even so, the thinness of the malt is very apparent. Definite tones of coffee and maybe slight unsweetened chocolate. Mild bitterness and metal in the aftertaste. (I actually don't mind metallic flavors within reason). Underlying everything is a light roasted malt sweetness.

I really can't rip on this beer- though that seems popular in these web pages. People in my town seem to really like it (Butte, Montana, home of a large Irish-American population). I've not actually drank much Guinness, it wasn't very available during my younger years, and so I can't compare it to the Guinness of yore or of Ireland that many people equate with the beverage of the gods. I've had it on draft locally and thought it was perfectly fine, though nothing to rave over- it also makes a good black and tan. It makes a pretty good session beer since it is rather light in carbs, calories and alcohol.

3.6/5  rDev +2.6%

Picked this up at the JewelOsco grocery store on Des Plaines & Fulton in Chicago. Was using it to make a beef stew in the slow cooker.

A: Those widgets are so annoying. You hardly get the top popped and it shoots it's load. Typical jet black guinness look with big white fine creamy head. Not much in the lacing department but I do like that a small head stays throughout and gives you a creamy milk mustache. I love that classic settling that Guinness does. You have to admit that it is a good looking drink.

S: Typical dry, sour Guinness smell. A little sweeter than the Extra Stout. It always reminds me of that stale brewery smell. It's almost got a hint of vinegar to it.

T: It is dry as a cork which is what the style is all about. The dryness is almost like a red wine level of dry. It may not be the best stout in the world but I think it is often reviewed as if it is an English or American Stout and not it's unique style. It's all malt and a little smokey when it warms up. Generally, it's pretty subtle.

M: Nice and smooth. Not as full a beer as you would imagine. Can feel quite thin at times. Carbonation and bitterness adds a little interest.

D: Guinness is a very nostalgic brew for me. I fondly remember having it in Ireland and I don't care what anyone says, it does taste better there. It is a gateway beer and for that reason alone, I think it deserves more respect than it gets. It's a pretty subtle drink that can be pounded. I know that from experience as a kid. I wouldn't go out of my way to drink it anymore but when I do have a reason to drink it, it sure does bring back good memories.

3.6/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a nice dark black with the classic cascading head...leaves a thick fluffy inch and a half head on top. I always enjoy the presentation of Guinness. Nice roasty nose with background hints of cocoa and coffee. A bit too subdued for me, but nice.

A good roasted, slightly burnt malt profile along with hints of coffee and slight notes of chocolate. A good irish stout that goes well with food.

Mouthfeel is creamy, however there is almost no carbonation. Goes down like water. I could have a few of these, but there are plenty other stouts that I'd go to first.

3.6/5  rDev +2.6%

A descent stout. Was nice and dark with a very nice foamy off-white head which lasted for some time. Taste was rather bland, it was neither sweet or bitter. I found the taste to be disappointing. Very nice smooth mouthfeel. OK if this is the only dark choice at the bar.

3.6/5  rDev +2.6%

Almost completely black, just a few ruby hues poking through at the edges. Tall, creamy cap on top that's completely driven by the nitro. Still one of the most pretty brews out there.

Lighter scents of coffee and chocolate with a milky and creamy texture underneath. Some slightly burnt malt floats on top. Nothing too exotic. Really pretty light.

Coffee, dark chocolate and some cocoa powder are the predominate flavors. Slightly burnt. Mostly sweet. Just a little bitter bite on the finish. Light to medium bodied with a smooth and easy drinking finish.

A bit over-rated, definitely better on-tap, but still a classic brew. Overall, a pretty reasonably tasty brew and a real gateway to the true craft brew market for many.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.