Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,083 | Hads: 6,750
2.96/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Looks amazing. Dark and ominous with a beautiful khaki head but, it all goes downhill from there. Metallic smell. Faint coffee and cocoa flavors but, the metallic element creeps in on the flavor as well. Finishes dry. Average at best. (234 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Obviously the gold standard of Nitrogen Irish Stouts. A perfect introduction to stouts for beginners. Easily drinkable and with a low ABV so you can drink it all night. Doesn't have the intense flavor of most craft stouts in 2015, so that could be a pro or a con based on what you're looking for. If you like to experiment with bold flavors, this probably isn't the beer for you, but if you've been around much, you've almost certainly already tried this nostalgic standard.

Cheers, mate! (489 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -5.2%

Look: Black as night. Like a really dark night with no moon. Good beige head retention.

Smell: Some malt, some toasted barley, a faint honey smell. Nothing strong here.

Taste: Toasted malts, barleys are present. Faint chocolates and a sweet honey taste. But everything feels watered down.

Feel: It's somewhat easy drinking, but they feel a bit heavy.

62/100 (362 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

This is such a common beer that I have tried many times at the local Irish Pub and you really can’t go wrong with this one. It has so much to offer that I’ll describe below, but you should know that it has a rather low alcohol content (as it should for this style) at 4.2% ABV.

Look-Pours a jet black and rather iconic look in its characteristic pub glass. There are dim glimmers of reddish copper in the right back light. The head blossoms from the infused Nitrogen that is sustained for a long time. The head has the most silky smooth texture and appearance that reminds me of the upper inner thigh of a lovely babe.

Smell-It has a weak smell that is very pleasant, but not multifaceted. I get sweet oak, and smoky caramel.

Taste-The taste is great, but starts off loose with a delayed release of the flavors. I get a bitter coffee flavor that comes in most noticeable on the middle palate and as the flavors slowly emerge, I get toasty and smoky oak flavors that are rounded off by hints of coffee, caramel, toffee and then a mild spiciness to it.

Mouthfeel-It starts watery and moist with the most silky smooth texture (remember that upper thigh), and has the perfect amount of fizz from the carbonation. The bubbles are so tiny that it is more of an ambient and intrinsic carbonation instead of an apparent cola fizz. It finishes slightly dry and with a mild sweet smoky coating on the tongue.

Overall-This is such a refreshing beer and I can easily drink several of them without getting very drunk, because they are so drinkable and with such a low alcohol content. Cheers! (1,590 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

440ml Poured into a pint glass.

Look) Guinness has an Iconic appearance and it's clear to see why, the pint is a glorious black drink with hints of ruby when the light hits the bottom of the glass. This is all topped with a cream coloured head, which thanks to the nitrogen sustains throughout your experience.

Smell) This is where I feel the drink is lacking, there is definitely a subtle dark malt aroma, but you will have to agitate it to pick up on this, however with that being said, there is nothing unpleasant about the aroma, just a lack of it.

Taste) When the beer is cold, the flavour again is very sutble at first, but the bitterness sits nicely at the back of the mouth, However as the beer warms slightly, the flavours seep begin to grow ever so slightly, the sweetness in the foretaste is very apparent and then the coffee notes set in and balance brilliantly.

Feel) This is the strongest aspect I feel. The beer is velvety (some may say watery but I feel otherwise) and sits nicely in your mouth with very little carbonation to deter you from admiring the flavour.

Overall) I do enjoy a guiness as a whole, would I pick it over some of the locals like "Bad King John" most likely not. I would recommend this to anybody who is just trying stout and doesn't want to jump into the deep end of complex flavoured stouts. Enjoy (1,348 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It is easy to be biased when reviewing a beer like Guinness. Particularly for me being Irish-American. But one thing about this beer is certain. It lives up to all expectations. It is a mass produced beer that is a new and exciting adventure every time I drink it. It's color although many think is pitch black is actually a deep deep red. However this color and it's contrast to its trademark creamy white head, poured into an imperial tulip is a symbol known the world over. Perhaps the only beer in the world that can be identified simply by color and glassware. It uses its own signature gas mixture when poured from the tap to keep its light and distinct carbonation level. It's aroma breathes of the dark malts used in making irish stouts. And lastly it's taste. No matter where you go your Guinness may be slightly different depending on temperature, age, which brewery it's from but it always has a dark coffee flavor to it. Few beers have such a beautiful presentation (when done correctly) and even fewer have such a long distinguished history. (1,055 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pleasant roasted aroma. Great creamy and extremely durable head. Clear almost black body. Smooth and pleasant roasted bitterness in taste. A little bit watery but still very good. (179 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Remember when this first came out...fun.
A = near black ebony color, nice off white/light tan head that is very creamy and last well.
S = roasty, chocolately malty goodness.
T = see S
M = smooth but can be a little chalky at times.
O = 3.75. There are many good stouts. Guinness is great, but the competition is fierce. (319 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

It's good, and always looks fantastic, just wish it was stronger with more flavor. It's pretty light, low in calories, and a great beer to enjoy all year long. (159 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +30.8%

A unique tasting stout topped with a beautifully even white head of foam (provided by the nitrogen) to complement it's rich, dark color. There is a reason it is a stout that is loved by many around the world. (209 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +2.9%

Now that I'm becoming used to stouts, porters, and IPAs, a Guinness Draught tastes slightly more potent than your average mineral water. The nitrogen infusion makes it taste awfully flat, too. On the bright side, it is a beautiful presentation. (246 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +26.7%

Some people criticize it for being thin or light, but I don't really see that as a negative for this beer; it's just what it is. Mild and subtle and delicious. Like coffee and chocolate milk mixed with Leprechaun tears. (219 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +28.8%

Look is amazing with a tan beige 2 finger head with nitro head, dark black color. Aroma is a dry roast with no hop aroma whatsoever, slight tannin maybe. Flavor is like rich creamy chocolate with a hint of coffee and a hint of sour (somewhat odd), very dry. Body is full, creamy, and smooth with light ABV, this is a very easy easy drinker. (343 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I'm rookie in beer world and this is my first Irish Stout, it might have been a good idea to try one without nitrogen, but Guinness was great!
Look: love the nitrogen effect in turning hot chocolate like liquid to almost black beer with creamy head, I am studying chemistry, but haven't seen anything like that.
Smell: smells like usual beer to me, maybe a bit of wood or burnt grain.
Taste: first sweet, then burnt, roasty, somewhat like black bread, then usual bitterness.
Feel: there is sweetness, but bitterness after drinking comes through, so no sweets should be eaten before and/or with the beer to feel sweetness better.
Overall: really not for refreshing or rave party, it needs to be enjoyed, maybe with some wild meat meal. (734 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +29.7%

You have to take this beer slowly. Not many beer has such depth. Very delicate.
Look) I do not know if a beer can look more elegant than this. Black body topped with thick white foam. The contract is just beautiful.
Smell) I can't talk too much about it as i have chronic rhinitis, and couldn't smell much. The reason I give it a 4 is because of the slight woody barley aroma. Many beer don't any good smell but alcohol.
Taste) It hit your tongue with the shock that all sparkling alcoholic beverage has but soon turn into a sort of sweetness, and then bitterness. Again you have to respect this drink in order to enjoy the "respect" in this drink.
Feel: a very drinkable beer, goes well with a nice meal. It NOT a party drink. Not a drink to have to forget things. Not a drink to have to get happy fast. Its a perfect drink when you are already happy, a perfect drink when you want to have some quality time with your friends and family. Enjoy it! (949 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -51.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Not a very full bodied beer, nor does it have a good enough ABV, you can skip and wont be sorry. The taste is too light, just pale on the palate, very light watered down stout feel. (181 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm kind of biased, but this really is one of my favorite beers. It's got nice thick mouthfeel and some great flavor. It's a classic for a reason, it really is excellent. (170 characters)

Draft. One of the thinnest stouts I have ever drank in my life. Thin on taste as well. Never know why this is a world renown stout. It is super low ABV. You can drink them all day long and never get bombed. They look filling and hearty but are thin and watery. Little to no flavor. You get some coffee and hop bitterness but this has just never been tasty to me. With all the fantastic local craft beer stouts out there, I can't ever see me drinking this again unless it is my only stout option. I'll have to get to Ireland one day and try a fresh real one. (567 characters)

Always love the look of Guinness. Cascading, then turn black with a nice froth on top. Just Beautiful.

Clean smell.

It always tastes great. Complete go-to beer. It is a great food compliment, a stand-alone beer, a beer sorbet in between other beers - truly a beer for all occasions.

Love the feel from the first frothy, creamy taste to the last drop. So smooth.

You know sometimes I want exotic fish for dinner, sometimes I want McDonald's, sometimes I can try unusual food and enjoy them. But I wouldn't eat any of that stuff every day, all day. I could eat steak every day and that's why it's my favorite food. Same goes with Guinness, I've never been disappointed. (673 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +24.7%

The greatest company of beer ever. I know that people blast this beer for not being a Russian Imperial Stout , and yes it is not the greatest tasting beer of all time. But for its price its the best beer one can buy. I have tasted much better beer but Guinness will not make you go bankrupt in drinking multiple. Also the taste is good vs other stouts, but the taste is excellent when you compare this beer to other cheap beer not in the stout category. Plus the pour is a classic image and is unique unlike any other. A true legend (538 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +24.4%

Great tasting dark beer. Excellent when poured correctly. Beautiful swirl as it settles in the glass. Rich velvet bittersweet taste throughout.

Personally don't like many dark beers because of heavy coffee flavors and I hate coffee. So if you are like me, know that Guinness does not have coffee flavors and you might really enjoy it. (337 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer! When poured right, it's about as beautiful looking as a beer can be. The coffee smell is wonderful, especially for the coffee fanatic I am. A refreshingly smooth and creamy taste with strong coffee notes that finishes dry and metallic as one might expect with many stouts, though maybe a little too metallic for some. It's my go to beer in most cases and works great in an Irish Car Bomb (cocktail). (417 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +12.2%

Served on draft. Thick and black with a creamy white head. Very little aroma. Taste is bitter with a hint of coffee. Smooth, chewy texture with an oatmeal finish. I enjoy this stout just about anywhere at any time. (214 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

I'm fairly early on in my beer drinking career so this is the first stout I've ever had. I've gotta say it really impressed me and found it to be a great beer but I feel like I'm missing something. The almighty Guinness is supposed to be a Titan of beer and I mostly thought It was middle of the road. I liked it a lot but I don't see what all the hype is about. I def. will drink more of this and hopefully get it on draft the next time. (438 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Not going to lie, I was a bit taken aback by how unremarkable this was. This is the first Guinness I've had in at least 5 years (the last time I tried it to see if I liked beer any better at the time and no I didn't) and I remember it being a lot more bitter. Instead it's extremely easy to drink and the bitterness barely shows up as a faint aftertaste. Granted this was from a bottle poured into a glass (but so was the last time I tried it) and I am currently drinking it right after I just finished a Köstritzer Schwarzbier, but I still expect more from a beer known as an Irish Dry Stout. (597 characters)

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.