Join our email list →

Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland | website

Irish Dry Stout | 4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,139 | Hads: 7,078
2.44/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I haven't had Guinness since I was in college. I remember liking it quite a bit back then. I started exploring craft beer and never really got back to Guinness until tonight, To be fair, Guinness looks great. It looks beautiful, even. However, it tastes like water and only feels mildly like beer. It is not repulsive but it isn't particularly good either. I have three more sitting in the fridge and I will drink them because I don't waste beer. After those three, I won't be back.

4.5/5  rDev +30.4%

Smooth, deep, rich, a dream beverage for fans of dark chocolate, french roast coffee and similar potent delicacies. Great sipping brew with robust flavour to be enjoyed slowly. If I'm having only one beer for dinner or dessert, Guiness Draught satisfies.

3.59/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Had most recently on (nitro) draft into Guinness pint tulip in London. Does it taste better the closer one gets to Dublin? Or is it the atmosphere of damp London and cozy pub? In any event, here's to the classic.

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

sexy looking beer. getting some faint malts, chocolate and coffee on the nose. taste is pretty weak, not quite doing it for me. creamy feel is perfect for the style, but its a bit watery.... as is the taste. overall its pretty drinkable and its decent i guess. i think the only characteristics i rate highly about this beer are due to the nitro... but when i compare it to some other nitro stouts it just doesnt come close.

3.7/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

L: black with a big foamy off white head. Looks great.
S: slight dark roast, but nothing big.
T: very light roastiness, it's has a weak flavor. It's not a bad beer, just lacking flavor.
F: very thin, but very sessionable.
O: a beer when nothing else but Budweiser is available to go to.

3.24/5  rDev -6.1%

Pour from a 14.9 oz "widget" can into a nonic pint. This stout is a very very dark cola-brown, and pours with a lovely nitro-cascade effect, leaving a dense, creamy 1-finger tan head that seems to linger for an eternity. Lacing is filmy and follows the head all the way down. This is still one of the prettiest beers in a glass out there.

Aromas are sweet malts, caramel, toast, and some faintly smoky notes.

The flavors start with a bit of sweet malts, followed by coffee and a bit of bitter chocolate. The finish is somewhat tart and dry, with just a faint trace of hops.

Body is thin and light, as per the style, though the nitro adds a touch of creaminess on the palate. Little carbonation. A very easy-drinking beer, especially with the fairly mild ABV.

Well it's definitely a classic, particularly to those of us who are just old enough to remember to just before the craft-brew explosion, back when imports ruled the world of the would-be beer connoisseur... It's not in exactly an amazing beer (its flavors aren't terribly deep or complex) but it's certainly not bad at all. The iconic Irish Dry Stout is still decent, if not spectacular.

3.98/5  rDev +15.4%

I'm torn, and tempted to move my ratings up based on nostalgia alone. This was my first non AB/Miller brew. It's still a great bar option when they don't have anything new to try, and I pick up a case of nitro cans every year. It fails in taste and feel compared to the " Extra Stout" version, but it's still Guinness through and through, and I'll take it.

Never given a 5 before, but the look is perfect. Every time I rate a stout, this is what I compare against. Jet black body with no light getting through. Light tan head that creates a great contrast. Amazing pillow of fluff and foam that sits thick from the initial pour until the last drink. This one was from a Nitro can, but it may as well have been from the tap. The widgets contained inside these cans are a true marvel of modern science. I would have thought there was a tiny, aquatic leprechaun living inside and pumping out the frothy brew... if I hadn't cut one open to check myself.

I can remember a time when I found the smell to be almost overpowering coffee, burnt malt, and chocolate. Stout virgins I share with, still have similar descriptions. Today, I have to admit I find it a little weak. Regrettably, the same exact description could be said of the taste. It never disappointed, and always gives me what I expect, but there are more flavorful and complex stouts out there. The feel is a paradox. You'll never find a more thick, creamy, lasting head. Unfortunately, the body is slightly, dare I say, watery. Newbies tell me it feels so thick they're chewing the drink...I Wish I could agree.

In the end, this is THE classic stout. It's one that can be used to measure others against. The look is unmatched. The experience is consistent and familiar. It's a great intro into the world of stouts, and a good bridge to keep on hand for poor, lost souls needing an introduction to anything beyond American macros. One more thing... despite its low ABV, this one always hits me a little more than it should. Perhaps the flood of so many memories takes an undue amount of blood flow in my brain, and creates the false buzz. Wish there was a category for intangibles... It would rate even higher.

4.64/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Roasted, chocolate, just a hint of bitterness. This is what makes Guinness so delectable. My ancestors didn't drink this for nothing. Pours like pitch, nice tan head. Deeply roasted malt character. One of my first stouts and I'm glad I tackled it. Will always have a special place in my heart.

4.44/5  rDev +28.7%

Delicious. Standard for Stout
Look: Amazing. I just love seeing the cream forming in the glass
Smell & Taste: Deeply roasted and with a bit bitter
Feel: Creamy, refreshing (I love it very cold)
Overall: My standard for Stout beer. I just love it.

4.15/5  rDev +20.3%

On tap at a local pub with nitro, (the bottle is a totally different story):

Look: 3 finger caramel head - thick molasses coating the glass

Smell: Dark and and deeply roasted

Taste: dark roast with a nice sweetness

Feel: very creamy and fills the mouth

Overall: everything I love in a basic stout - the nitro tap is wonderful, but the bottle is just sad....

2.61/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: [5.00] Guinness is kind of the gold standard visually. The beer forms a distinct off white head with impossibly dense bubbles. The contrast between the black brew and the head is fantastic. Watching the sides churn and boil as it settles is also great. Finally the head lasts forever. It also clings to the glass like crazy. The Guinness can lists the ABV (4.2%) and a date code that says this was born (07/21/15).

S: [2.75] Sweet toasted malts. Like if you started roasting sugary breakfast cereal.

T: [2.25] Mild hints of A1 steak sauce. Wisps of a molasses element.

M: [2.50] Thin and watery and a little chalky feeling.

O: [2.50] Guinness was my first foray out of macro lagers. I loved it years ago because it was an option and it was unique. After years of drinking craft brews and all of their wonderful flavors and complexities Guinness falls flat. The nose, taste and body are all sub-standard for a stout. Visually it is still something to behold. Given a choice between Guinness and Bud I am not sure which way I'd go now. Sorry Guinness.

3.69/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.5

Solid dark beer with subtle notes and a smooth mouth feel all the way down. Looks nice and dark with a lovely aroma. Not the best for the money, but a solid back up when you are looking for that dark stout/porter beer look and taste.

4.75/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my Gold Standard for Irish Dry Stouts. It's definitely the Smoothest Beer I've ever had:) Good by itself and as a half-n-half -OR- Black-n-Tan. Love how the Cans & Bottles include the Nitrogen Caps that give the famous "bubbles" that you see in Draft;)

3.29/5  rDev -4.6%

Although light in alcohol and almost watery in texture, the flavor of this keeps it from being a highly drinkable stout. Although subtle, the dark malt character is rough and unbalanced with too much acidity for my taste. Left a bad taste in my mouth. I appreciate this style of beer (dark, smooth, flavorful but drinkable) but I know there are better examples than this one.

3.49/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured a nice 1 finger of head. Aroma is mild roasted malts. Flavor is average mild stout This also has a thin body. OK beer I would drink again. Have a great day my friends.

1.39/5  rDev -59.7%

This has to be my top 3 worst beers i've had, i even threw it in the sink. I've had the canned one.

If you want to know what this beer tastes like, just pour 50% of any dark beer in a glass, fill the other 50% with water and leave it in the sun for two hours, there you go!

3.89/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

My tastes have changed due to craft beer, but I still love a Guiness from time to time. It's thinner than I remember, but still goes down so nice and easy

2.65/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I find Guinness a watered down stout compared to other craft brewery stouts. Very thin-bodied, not much flavour, but a good, lasting head. Thirst quencher for sure, but nothing sophisticated.

4.05/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from a 473 ml nitro can into a classic Guinness pint glass.

[A]:
It appears dark brown/black with a cascade effect and foamy white head, beautiful to behold, a reddish hue to it when held up to the light.

[S]:
Malt and barley, slight hint of baker's bitter chocolate and espresso bean.

[T]:
Nice malt taste upfront followed by chocolate and coffee notes, very smooth and tamed for a stout, but still delicious and refreshing in its own way. .

[M]:
A silky, creamy mouth feel, not much carbonation at all.

[O]:
What can I say? This beer is a classic, the best stout ever? No, there are definitely better stouts out there even in the Irish style, but Guinness being so readily available, relatively cheap and kicked up a notch from the nitro can, you really can't go wrong, and let's face it, it does have it's own unique flavor and charm that you can't really find in any other beer.

2.9/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This is certainly the most widely available of the Irish Dry Stouts, and my introduction to this style. Though I suppose this can't be considered the best Irish Stout, it is definitely a good one to get introduced to this style of beer. It has a very bitter malty flavour, with a strangely small head. Generally a very good beer.

3.46/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle. Pours pitch black with a small creamy head. Smells of light grain. Tastes of some dark grain, but watery. Beer is light bodied, extremely drinkable, good carbonation. Overall a slightly above average beer.

4.77/5  rDev +38.3%

Bottled, Guinness Draught is pretty good. Draft, it's probably my favorite stout and "go to" beer when I'm out. It's not meant to be a fine milk stout, people, it's a dry stout. Most excellent beer especially on tap.

Probably one of the best looking beers on the market when it's in its signature 20oz glass. Creamy, although slightly watery, mouthfeel and very dry and drinkable.

4.08/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

I work in a craft beer brewery. My colleagues may or may not lose respect for me due to this, but I really enjoy Guinness Draught. I'm a craft beer drinking fanatic through & through, but I won't lie; Guinness is great for session drinking. I enjoy myself a citrusy, bitter yet malty Imperial IPA, a clovey Weizenbock, a sweet Hefeweizen, and a barrel aged RIS with the best of them, but Guinness suits the mood 9/10 times. It's got the roasty flavor, the persistent head, and the coffee/dark chocolate notes that stouts should have, yet has that perfect drinkability. There is no other stout out there that I can drink like a session beer. But I can pour myself a Guinness over and over. Love it.

3.42/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours dark brown, almost black with a creamy off-white head. Smells lightly of dark fruit with roasted coffee. The taste is faint and a bit watered down, with slight dark fruit and chocolatey coffee flavor. Feels thin and watery. Overall a lighter, milder version of Guinness Extra Stout.

3.46/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance - Poured from a 440 ml can with "widget" into a 16 oz bar glass. This beer pourd almost completely black and let no light in, a creamy 2 finger head appeared quickly and is still here 20 mins later.

Aroma - I smell roasted malts, some light coffee and light hops.

Taste - sweet roasted malts, coffee, nuts, slight toffee

Feel - light but velvety creamy body, silky smooth. very easy drinking beer.

Overall - I'm used to big feel and big flavor which this definitely doesnt have, that said I usually dont drink more than one or 2 beers in a day but if I was looking for something to down a 6 pack off this would be my kind of beer. for the price it beats any aaj's. not too bad.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.