Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd. visit their website

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,121 | Hads: 6,950
2.65/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I find Guinness a watered down stout compared to other craft brewery stouts. Very thin-bodied, not much flavour, but a good, lasting head. Thirst quencher for sure, but nothing sophisticated.

4.05/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from a 473 ml nitro can into a classic Guinness pint glass.

It appears dark brown/black with a cascade effect and foamy white head, beautiful to behold, a reddish hue to it when held up to the light.

Malt and barley, slight hint of baker's bitter chocolate and espresso bean.

Nice malt taste upfront followed by chocolate and coffee notes, very smooth and tamed for a stout, but still delicious and refreshing in its own way. .

A silky, creamy mouth feel, not much carbonation at all.

What can I say? This beer is a classic, the best stout ever? No, there are definitely better stouts out there even in the Irish style, but Guinness being so readily available, relatively cheap and kicked up a notch from the nitro can, you really can't go wrong, and let's face it, it does have it's own unique flavor and charm that you can't really find in any other beer.

2.9/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This is certainly the most widely available of the Irish Dry Stouts, and my introduction to this style. Though I suppose this can't be considered the best Irish Stout, it is definitely a good one to get introduced to this style of beer. It has a very bitter malty flavour, with a strangely small head. Generally a very good beer.

3.46/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle. Pours pitch black with a small creamy head. Smells of light grain. Tastes of some dark grain, but watery. Beer is light bodied, extremely drinkable, good carbonation. Overall a slightly above average beer.

4.77/5  rDev +38.3%

Bottled, Guinness Draught is pretty good. Draft, it's probably my favorite stout and "go to" beer when I'm out. It's not meant to be a fine milk stout, people, it's a dry stout. Most excellent beer especially on tap.

Probably one of the best looking beers on the market when it's in its signature 20oz glass. Creamy, although slightly watery, mouthfeel and very dry and drinkable.

4.08/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

I work in a craft beer brewery. My colleagues may or may not lose respect for me due to this, but I really enjoy Guinness Draught. I'm a craft beer drinking fanatic through & through, but I won't lie; Guinness is great for session drinking. I enjoy myself a citrusy, bitter yet malty Imperial IPA, a clovey Weizenbock, a sweet Hefeweizen, and a barrel aged RIS with the best of them, but Guinness suits the mood 9/10 times. It's got the roasty flavor, the persistent head, and the coffee/dark chocolate notes that stouts should have, yet has that perfect drinkability. There is no other stout out there that I can drink like a session beer. But I can pour myself a Guinness over and over. Love it.

3.42/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours dark brown, almost black with a creamy white head. Smells lightly of dark fruit with roasted coffee. The taste is faint and a bit watered down, with slight dark fruit and chocolatey coffee flavor. Feels thin and watery. Overall a lighter, milder version of Guinness Extra Stout.

3.46/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance - Poured from a 440 ml can with "widget" into a 16 oz bar glass. This beer pourd almost completely black and let no light in, a creamy 2 finger head appeared quickly and is still here 20 mins later.

Aroma - I smell roasted malts, some light coffee and light hops.

Taste - sweet roasted malts, coffee, nuts, slight toffee

Feel - light but velvety creamy body, silky smooth. very easy drinking beer.

Overall - I'm used to big feel and big flavor which this definitely doesnt have, that said I usually dont drink more than one or 2 beers in a day but if I was looking for something to down a 6 pack off this would be my kind of beer. for the price it beats any aaj's. not too bad.

4.46/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm surprised the bros rated it so low. It's a classic and a favorite for a lot of people. Personally I love it. It looks like a dark stout but it really has a light feel to it and its low in calories (it's a light beer to me). It's my go to on Sunday's when watching football.
Pours great. Nice head
Smells of malty goodness
Tastes of malt coffee and chocolate . Has a milky cream finish
It's a good starter into the stout world. Men's health says if you're gonna drink a beer drink a Guinness!

4.34/5  rDev +25.8%

Light body, very high drinkability; incredible foam, very dense and long lasting. It has a thirst quenching character, but still great personality with its really smooth mouthfeel.

3.67/5  rDev +6.4%

Look- Pours classic black with dark ruby brown highlights. A nice tight knit off-white head is left behind after the nitrogen cascades out. the lacing lasts forever.
Smell- Not a whole lot going on. Very little roast character with fractional hints of toffee and caramel.
Taste- The taste is similar to smell with an added wisp of vanilla. The roasted character does linger in the finish briefly.
Feel- Silky smooth like velvet. Low carbonation and dry. Oddly it feels light almost watery.
Overall- It's a simple no frills Irish Stout and nothing more. Yes, there are better tasting stouts that exist, however, it someone mentions the stout, Guinness is the first beer that I think of.

3.49/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Classic black body, descending sheets of nitro carbonation, crisp contrasting beige head that looks like foamed whipping cream that blankets the glass with lace. The smell and taste are weak and consist mostly of dry oat with just a touch of roast. Dry as they come. The mouthfeel is standard-setting smooth, aided by the never-ending head, but the body is actually light.
Really only worth it on draught for the feel, but there is nothing offensive about the taste, it's just simple and faint. Well deserved icon-status.

Look - pours out black with small caramel head
Smell - caramel, toffee, mocha, coffee, nutty, bready, biscuit
Taste - toffee, caramel, nutty, slight cocoa
Feel - really smooth, low carbonation, coats mouth
Overall - this is really good. I think it's underrated because it's so well known.

4.9/5  rDev +42%

As anyone reading, I drink a lot of beer. However, I never review beers, mainly because good beers tend to receive their credit, plus why would anyone really care what I have to say about beer, I'm not an expert? But I was curious, so I Googled Guinness and found its BA score; it is wrong. How have "beer experts" determined that what was once the gold standard is now deserving of a 77 score (or a 70, Bros)? Because it's not brewed by a couple hipsters in a trendy neighborhood? Because it is mass produced? It's delicious. It's beautiful. It's meant to taste unique. I've had better beers, but it is completely worthy of a 5/5 rating. It's a DRY Stout, emphasis on the dry. It makes you yearn for that next sip, just like a good cocktail. It is smooth and has a burnt toffee aftertaste, pours a deep black with a rich, thick, creamy head that laces the glass perfectly. It's incredibly made and gets better with more pours, A TRUE SESSION BREW before it had a name. It offers a very slight body with a sharply toasted malt smell, that of day old bread that does not overwhelm but rather compliments the taste. Very well made, it's clear why brewers and beer drinkers alike have enjoyed and respected this beer for decades. This should not be kept out of your rotation just because your grandparents have drank it, in fact, that's partially why you should drink it.

do people romanticize a pint of guinness? yes they do. but why shouldn't they? there's a beautiful history behind this beer, and i challenge anyone to find me a more beautiful looking beer. perfect head, an inredible blackish ruby color, it is flawless. smells like stale rye bread, tastes like stale rye bread, and...FUCK YOU, i love stale rye bread! wonderful texture, guinness is still king among stouts.

3.4/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown almost black color, toasty malt flavor, creamy texture, uniquely Guinness. There may be other stouts that are better, but Guinness defined the market. They will always be linked to stouts and very few beers can say they created a style that everyone can attribute to them.

3.8/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Seems to be super low ratings on here simply because it's Guinness. Pours a dark brown with s silky mocha head. Aroma is of roasted malts. Taste is similar but watered down. Feel is smooth and airy. Decent beer.

1.51/5  rDev -56.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

My husband thinks I should use the word "abomination" in my review.
Poured from can into clean tulip glass. Why do people like this beer? This is the fourth time I've tried to drink it, three times from cans, once on tap in a New England bar. Every time, I experienced it as a thin flat swill with a cardboard foretaste, nothing like the rich coffee-chocolate porters I prefer (Fuller's, Young's, Yuengling, Breckinridge, Anchor, etc.). The first can of Guinness Draught I got from the Foodery in Philly, I took it back and told them it was flat, that the fizzer must be malfunctioning. She kindly gave me a new one. Got home, it was exactly the same, I couldn't finish it and poured it down the drain. Tried a can from another store in case it was their shipment; nope, same result. It has a creamy two-tone parfait head that sticks to the glass forever, so I gave it a 3 for Look. After that, there's no pleasure, a waste of calories. OK, now I'm dumping the rest and opening a Yuengling Porter.

3.87/5  rDev +12.2%

This a creamy, sessionable stout with light roast. Minimal aroma. Beautiful appearance when served on draught. Overall, this is a very tasty and readily available stout. There are more flavorful options out there but this is a really solid one available in most bars.

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On draft. Very dark brow with a nice thick tasty head. This beer is dependable. Toasty, malty,and I like its! It goes well with food and you can find it everywhere. I believe it is underrated.

4.52/5  rDev +31%

Haters want to hate, but Guinness is in a class all its own. It's not my favorite beer bc it isn't beer, it's Guinness. Always perfect in a bar, and cans in a pinch aren't bad.

2.9/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

From the can:

L: Beautiful. The cascade from the nitro is a wonderful thing to watch, and seeing it turn from brown to nearly pitch black is pretty damn exciting. A really nice tan head with great retention/lacing.

S: Not a lot of smell. What's there is chocolately, roasted barely. Maybe a small bit of toffee but there's not much to smell here. I've had way too many off cans that smell like copper as well though.

T: Okay. Definitely drinkable. A very dark chocolate toffee like taste, some coffee, maybe a little too burnt tasting though. Not too bad but burnt =/= dark and complex. Also, again, I've had way too many cans that taste like pennies towards the end. I'd call it inconsistent but it's consistently off about half the time.

F: Light but the nitro makes it kind of creamy. Some carbonation, but thankfully not as much as the bottled version, which basically tastes like burnt seltzer.

O: Not bad when you get a good can but the fact that it's really metallic half the time for me makes it something I'm not gonna go out and buy any time soon.

3.96/5  rDev +14.8%

Seems silly to write a review of such a widely know beer.

Still, watching the nitro work through the beer is still a thing of beauty to me.

Nose is almost non-existent and beyond an iron based mineral flavor there isn't much on the palate. Still the smooth, light feel with a nice bit of malt is nice.

1.74/5  rDev -49.6%

This is the worst beer I have ever tasted. Very hard to keep down. Weak, watery, dribble, with lots of foam. I have to say though that I am an ipa man. So maybe it's just a matter of acquiring a taste.

3.81/5  rDev +10.4%

Review based on notes taken 9/19/15
Note 1: This is my 1000th full beer review.
I saved Guinness Draught for #1000 because it has a strong significance in my personal beer history. It was one of the first beers I ever tried, and it was the first beer I had on my 21st birthday. This beer has popped up at various points in my life, and I will mention those in the course of this review, prefaced with asterisks***.
Note 2: On-tap, nitro (of course)

A: Seemingly jet black from a distance, but it is really more of a dark, deep brown upon inspection - comes off the nitro with a medium-large, dense, solid, light tan head, with the characteristic cascade - small bubbles occasionally break the soft surface of the head that can only really exist thanks to nitrogen - the head does slowly fade to a small, but solid cap, but that does stick around indefinitely - leaves a wall of lacing - if nothing else, Guinness Draught on nitro is pretty to look at
***In middle school, I heard from a friend that bubbles in Guinness sink to the bottom of the glass instead of float to the top, and that this phenomenon could not be explained by science. I never bothered to look this up, as dial-up internet was too slow for anything.

S: Markedly unexciting, but charming for what it is - a straight-up whiff of nitro carbonation, which should not actually be an aroma, but I smell it every time I have anything on nitro - more stout-like aromas underneath the haze of gas, but it is very mild - dry, roasty malts - chocolate malts and roasted grains - a general graininess - dark chocolate and some hints of Tootsie rolls - lightly burnt, perhaps a touch smoky - light sweetness, with some light caramel
***In high school, I heard from a friend about how brewers at Guinness, many years ago, were cleaning out the tanks and found a dead rat. They cleaned the tank thoroughly, but then they could not get the next few batches to taste right. So since then, a rat is included in each batch for a consistent flavor. I never believed this one... I also have never detected rodent in Guinness Draught.

T: A decade ago, I thought this was rather complex, but now I realize that it is a rather simple brew - mild chocolate malts and roasted malts - lightly roasted grains, hint of medium to dark roast coffee - dark chocolate, baker's chocolate, semisweet chocolate, hints of Tootsie rolls - light touches of caramel - lightly grainy, with some straight-up un-malted barley - light astringency and touch of acidity - some minerality - very light hint of English hops with a touch of grass - low to medium bitterness - clean finish, extremely dry as the style should be
***In college, I learned in a class (a food science course about beer) that Guinness Draught should be slightly sour. A lot of homebrew clone recipes include some souring technique or acidulated malt. Personally, I have never really noticed it other than a light acidity.

M: Light but very creamy - the bizarre result of nitro, which leads many novice drinkers to describe this as anything heavier than "light" - high carbonation, finishes clean
***In grad school, I drank a lot of beer. (I don't have a Guinness-related anecdote.)

O: Always a lovely day for a Guinness

Guinness Draught is the quinntessential example of an Irish Dry Stout. It's not exciting, but it really isn't supposed to be. I have definitely had more complex and objectively superior examples of the style, but this is really the template. Definitely mild, but classic nonetheless.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.