Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
2.55/5  rDev -26.9%

Two tastes - weak coffee and bitter beer. Drink it straight from the bottle is the motto. However the best we can say is its coffee appearance and huge creamy head that stays there. OK to drink if you're drinking something after to take away the taste.

Sammy, Sep 15, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

t0rin0, Nov 19, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -15.5%

On tap at BJ's in Valencia, CA.

Pours an opaque black with a 1 inch dense foamy tan head that fades to a small cap. Thick and sticky ring lacing on the drink down. Smell is not impressive with watery dark malt and stale coffee. Tastes of roasted malt and watery coffee. Very thick and creamy mouthfeel. Overall, I wouldn't drink this very often. I guess I sort of was obligated to try it on tap for St. Patrick's Day.

UCLABrewN84, Mar 18, 2011

djrn2, Nov 20, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -15.5%

Thanks to gr8134 for this can. Served in a wine glass.

Pours dark brown with a white head. Fairly dark, but much lighter than the Foreign Export Stout, which we tried this side-by-side with. The head on this one is quite creamy. From there, it goes a bit downhill and this isn't a particularly-memorable beer. There is a bit of mild roast and very, very faint dark chocolate in the nose, but that's about it. The taste is really mild and creamy--roast, light chocolate, and the tiniest touch of malt sweetness. Feel is light and creamy. Just an okay beer. This really seems to be all about texture and not big on flavor.

Thorpe429, Dec 29, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

zestar, Aug 22, 2014

nmann08, Dec 14, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

acurtis, Jan 09, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -1.1%

A: The beer is very dark amber (approaching near black) in color and poured with a finger high creamy beige head that died down but has excellent properties and consistently covered the surface. Watching the cascading bubbles after the initial pour is always a spectacle.
S: There are faint aromas of roasted malts in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste isn't very strong but has flavors of roasted malts along with some hints of chocolate and coffee. Hints of bitterness are present in the finish.
M: It feels light-bodied, creamy and smooth on the palate. There is some dryness in the finish.
D: This beer goes down very easily and is very sessionable, especially considering its low alcohol content.

Note: I also had this on nitro-tap at The Wellington in Dublin, Ireland on 6/21/14 and the beer didn't seem nearly as as dry and also seemed to be a little sweeter compared to the version exported to the United States.

metter98, Mar 17, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -46.1%

Despite the fact that the plastic label beseeches me to 'drink straight from the bottle' and to 'serve extra cold', I will do neither. This will be at my beer fridge temperature of 50 degrees and will be poured into a nonick pint glass. I don't take orders from beer bottles. I'm also chagrined to discover that it checks in at less than 10 carbs (9.9 to be exact). That is what is commonly known as a red flag.

I get the usual nitro cascade effect on the pour, though it seems to be less impressive than what I see from the average nitro can. When the show is over--no more than 15 seconds--I'm left with an opaque, dark brown liquid crowned by a slim finger of heavily creamy, grayish brown foam. The nose is meek and is of roasted malt, chocolate and coffee in roughly equal proportions. Not bad, not great.

Guinness Draught tastes like watered-down Guinness Extra Stout. I mean that literally. It seems less like a weak stout (that was brewed as such) and more like water was added before bottling. What flavor I can discern is of lightly roasted dark malt and weak iced coffee with very little chocolatiness at all. The finish is nonexistent because there's very little flavor to begin with. The body/mouthfeel is, again, watery in the extreme.

Guinness Draught is one of the wimpiest stouts that I've ever had. It challenges my taste buds about as much as kindergarten final exams would challenge my intellect. It may have been a slightly better experience if I had sampled it straight from the bottle, but any beer that has to rely on a gimmick such as that gets no respect from me. This is a beer that doesn't deserve to be taken seriously. Next.

BuckeyeNation, Aug 19, 2004
3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

Nitro can: Poured a dark black beer with a nice foamy head with ultra long retention due to the nitro ball. Aroma and taste are quite dry and bitter with notes of roasted malts also being very present. Aftertaste is a bit too watery for my liking but overall I think this is a classic and pretty decent classic drink.

Phyl21ca, Jun 04, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +19.8%

First time in a long time. Trying this brew on draught is one of the most classic and endearing moments in beer. The look of the nitro-carbonation sheading the beer and floating to the top is something special. The head retention is basically a milk shake for stout lovers. Slight aromas of roasted grains, chalkiness, and mild souring. Flavors and moderate and firm, ranging from charcoal, roasted grains, mild lactose, and and underlying sweet maltiness. The feel of this beer is always supurb. Full and creamy, then thinning into a powdery, soft finish. Quite dry and fleeting in the aftertaste. It's the taste that defined the style. How can it be anything but great?

BEERchitect, Nov 14, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -25.5%

My first nitro bottle, ehh is all I have to say. Poured fantastically, if you have never seen it you must, the cascade is just gorgeous. A very slight roasted malt, but that is about it. The taste is just flat to me. I am spoiled maybe by the good stouts that I can find, but this is just bland. No real presence, too oily and not enough character. The presentation is beautiful, but looks can be decieving.

mikesgroove, Feb 18, 2007

Texasfan549, Jan 29, 2012

kjkinsey, Dec 06, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -23.2%

One of the roommates bought beer, and this is what he brought home. I didn't want to be rude, so I had one.

A: This really is a nice looking pour. Dark brown, bordering on black with that patented creamy mocha colored head.

S: Very thin and watery on the nose. I pick up a few hints of roasted malt and maybe some chocolate.

T: Not too much better than the nose. A bit of roasted malt flavor and maybe a touch of chocolate and coffee, but overall it's very bland.

M: I do enjoy the creamy feel the nitro gives. Unfortunately, it seems to (have helped to) kill the rest of the beer.

D: This is really disappointing. I recall early on in my drinking days when Guinness was a fairly enjoyable beer, but it seems to have gone the way of so many other mass produced items.

womencantsail, Jan 05, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

ygtbsm94, Mar 17, 2012

I have had the honor of having this beer at the Guninness factory in Dublin. My review is not based on this particular tasting however it is one of the first beers I tried and the one that got me turned on to beer as prior to, the beers of the college ranks had turned me off to them.

The beer is black but some light still gets through. The milky, brownish head leaves a lacing and remains for much of the experience. The aroma is of roasted malt which certainly becomes much more apparent with the tasting. Caramel malts as well as a chocolate taste is appreciated as well. The mouth feel is smooth with medium body.

Overall this is a very good beer. I think it is best tasting on tap. I will often order this beer when out as it is one of the few regulars at multiple places I frequent on the weekends.

kylehay2004, Jun 28, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

jaydoc, Aug 31, 2013
2.05/5  rDev -41.3%

Appearance: Dark brown body with a dense cream-colored head.

Smell: Exceedingly mild, plain aroma of creamy roasted barley.

Taste: Very vague overall taste with only a mild coffee-like bitterness. From the first sip to the last there's just very little to offer here.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Mild carbonation. Joyless, watery texture.

Drinkability: Perhaps the widget-bottle isn't the way to go, 'cause this beer lacks any sort of distinct characteristics and comes across as watery and uninteresting.

ChainGangGuy, Dec 02, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

Guinness was my first beer, it has a very special place in my heart. It has always been my go to drink at a bar if nothing else is worthy of my time or money. I love the surge the beer has, I love how it looks like chocolate milk while pouring and fades into a very dark brownish black color. It's the smoothest texture with a very nice roasted flavor. I'll admit it's a little bit on the watery side and it's not thick at all but it still has a good quality to it for anytime of year or place.

Knapp85, Mar 21, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -21.2%

westcoastbeerlvr, Jan 10, 2013
3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

Served in a Guinness tulip glass.

Pours into a frothy, auburn maelstrom that settles via cascade into a very dark brown, nearly black body with about a finger's worth of tan head that laces very nicely. There isn't much to the smell, only small bits of oats, malts, coffee, and sugar, all very faint. The taste delivers a solid amount of dark grains, with phases of milkiness and that trademark Guinness half-sour at the back. The body is near the top of the moderate scale, and is extremely smooth, leading to a highly drinkable brew. One of my favorite widely-distributed brews!

TMoney2591, Feb 16, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -26.1%

Another ubiquitous macro beer, one of the first I can remember drinking all those years ago. More for the novelty of the nitro can, nowadays bottled Guinness doesn't pass muster.

Poured into a tulip glass, the color is a dark reddish brown, and black in the glass. The foam only cascades momentarily, unlike the super slo-mo version from the nitro can. It's tan foam has a creamy texture and good retention, minor arcs of lacing are left behind in the glass.

Smells a bit dull, wet barley and roasted grains, old coffee.

Tastes similarly weak, roasted barley and cardboard, folgers, vague ashy note in the aftertaste. Watery feel, bland with a lower level of carbonation. Seems to be a mere shell of its former self, or maybe the added nitrogen adds something, and without it there's just not much substance.

emerge077, Dec 31, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -15.5%

Appearance: Dark brown with reddish highlights, slightly translucent; ultra-thick nitro head.

Smell: Lightly roasted barley, a bit grainy - not much of an aroma.

Taste: Mild roasted barley, but without much actual bitterness. A subtle grainy sweetness comes through in the middle. It finishes clean and dry with no aftertaste. I'm not too sure what else to say - it really doesn't have much depth or character.

Mouthfeel: The nitro head gives the illusion if a thick, creamy beer; but the body is very thin and watery. I know Irish dry stouts aren't supposed to be the thickest stouts around, but this is thin even for the style.

Notes: Now here's a beer that's all about image. It looks impressive, but when you get down to it, it's completely lacking in aroma, flavor and body. It's not terrible by any means, but it's also not very good.

largadeer, Nov 27, 2007
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.