Join our email list →

Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland | website

Irish Dry Stout | 4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,139 | Hads: 7,076
2.61/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: [5.00] Guinness is kind of the gold standard visually. The beer forms a distinct off white head with impossibly dense bubbles. The contrast between the black brew and the head is fantastic. Watching the sides churn and boil as it settles is also great. Finally the head lasts forever. It also clings to the glass like crazy. The Guinness can lists the ABV (4.2%) and a date code that says this was born (07/21/15).

S: [2.75] Sweet toasted malts. Like if you started roasting sugary breakfast cereal.

T: [2.25] Mild hints of A1 steak sauce. Wisps of a molasses element.

M: [2.50] Thin and watery and a little chalky feeling.

O: [2.50] Guinness was my first foray out of macro lagers. I loved it years ago because it was an option and it was unique. After years of drinking craft brews and all of their wonderful flavors and complexities Guinness falls flat. The nose, taste and body are all sub-standard for a stout. Visually it is still something to behold. Given a choice between Guinness and Bud I am not sure which way I'd go now. Sorry Guinness.

3.69/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.5

Solid dark beer with subtle notes and a smooth mouth feel all the way down. Looks nice and dark with a lovely aroma. Not the best for the money, but a solid back up when you are looking for that dark stout/porter beer look and taste.

4.75/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my Gold Standard for Irish Dry Stouts. It's definitely the Smoothest Beer I've ever had:) Good by itself and as a half-n-half -OR- Black-n-Tan. Love how the Cans & Bottles include the Nitrogen Caps that give the famous "bubbles" that you see in Draft;)

3.29/5  rDev -4.6%

Although light in alcohol and almost watery in texture, the flavor of this keeps it from being a highly drinkable stout. Although subtle, the dark malt character is rough and unbalanced with too much acidity for my taste. Left a bad taste in my mouth. I appreciate this style of beer (dark, smooth, flavorful but drinkable) but I know there are better examples than this one.

3.49/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured a nice 1 finger of head. Aroma is mild roasted malts. Flavor is average mild stout This also has a thin body. OK beer I would drink again. Have a great day my friends.

1.39/5  rDev -59.7%

This has to be my top 3 worst beers i've had, i even threw it in the sink. I've had the canned one.

If you want to know what this beer tastes like, just pour 50% of any dark beer in a glass, fill the other 50% with water and leave it in the sun for two hours, there you go!

3.89/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

My tastes have changed due to craft beer, but I still love a Guiness from time to time. It's thinner than I remember, but still goes down so nice and easy

2.65/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I find Guinness a watered down stout compared to other craft brewery stouts. Very thin-bodied, not much flavour, but a good, lasting head. Thirst quencher for sure, but nothing sophisticated.

4.05/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from a 473 ml nitro can into a classic Guinness pint glass.

[A]:
It appears dark brown/black with a cascade effect and foamy white head, beautiful to behold, a reddish hue to it when held up to the light.

[S]:
Malt and barley, slight hint of baker's bitter chocolate and espresso bean.

[T]:
Nice malt taste upfront followed by chocolate and coffee notes, very smooth and tamed for a stout, but still delicious and refreshing in its own way. .

[M]:
A silky, creamy mouth feel, not much carbonation at all.

[O]:
What can I say? This beer is a classic, the best stout ever? No, there are definitely better stouts out there even in the Irish style, but Guinness being so readily available, relatively cheap and kicked up a notch from the nitro can, you really can't go wrong, and let's face it, it does have it's own unique flavor and charm that you can't really find in any other beer.

2.9/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This is certainly the most widely available of the Irish Dry Stouts, and my introduction to this style. Though I suppose this can't be considered the best Irish Stout, it is definitely a good one to get introduced to this style of beer. It has a very bitter malty flavour, with a strangely small head. Generally a very good beer.

3.46/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle. Pours pitch black with a small creamy head. Smells of light grain. Tastes of some dark grain, but watery. Beer is light bodied, extremely drinkable, good carbonation. Overall a slightly above average beer.

4.77/5  rDev +38.3%

Bottled, Guinness Draught is pretty good. Draft, it's probably my favorite stout and "go to" beer when I'm out. It's not meant to be a fine milk stout, people, it's a dry stout. Most excellent beer especially on tap.

Probably one of the best looking beers on the market when it's in its signature 20oz glass. Creamy, although slightly watery, mouthfeel and very dry and drinkable.

4.08/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

I work in a craft beer brewery. My colleagues may or may not lose respect for me due to this, but I really enjoy Guinness Draught. I'm a craft beer drinking fanatic through & through, but I won't lie; Guinness is great for session drinking. I enjoy myself a citrusy, bitter yet malty Imperial IPA, a clovey Weizenbock, a sweet Hefeweizen, and a barrel aged RIS with the best of them, but Guinness suits the mood 9/10 times. It's got the roasty flavor, the persistent head, and the coffee/dark chocolate notes that stouts should have, yet has that perfect drinkability. There is no other stout out there that I can drink like a session beer. But I can pour myself a Guinness over and over. Love it.

3.42/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours dark brown, almost black with a creamy off-white head. Smells lightly of dark fruit with roasted coffee. The taste is faint and a bit watered down, with slight dark fruit and chocolatey coffee flavor. Feels thin and watery. Overall a lighter, milder version of Guinness Extra Stout.

3.46/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance - Poured from a 440 ml can with "widget" into a 16 oz bar glass. This beer pourd almost completely black and let no light in, a creamy 2 finger head appeared quickly and is still here 20 mins later.

Aroma - I smell roasted malts, some light coffee and light hops.

Taste - sweet roasted malts, coffee, nuts, slight toffee

Feel - light but velvety creamy body, silky smooth. very easy drinking beer.

Overall - I'm used to big feel and big flavor which this definitely doesnt have, that said I usually dont drink more than one or 2 beers in a day but if I was looking for something to down a 6 pack off this would be my kind of beer. for the price it beats any aaj's. not too bad.

4.46/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm surprised the bros rated it so low. It's a classic and a favorite for a lot of people. Personally I love it. It looks like a dark stout but it really has a light feel to it and its low in calories (it's a light beer to me). It's my go to on Sunday's when watching football.
Pours great. Nice head
Smells of malty goodness
Tastes of malt coffee and chocolate . Has a milky cream finish
It's a good starter into the stout world. Men's health says if you're gonna drink a beer drink a Guinness!

4.34/5  rDev +25.8%

Light body, very high drinkability; incredible foam, very dense and long lasting. It has a thirst quenching character, but still great personality with its really smooth mouthfeel.

3.67/5  rDev +6.4%

Look- Pours classic black with dark ruby brown highlights. A nice tight knit off-white head is left behind after the nitrogen cascades out. the lacing lasts forever.
Smell- Not a whole lot going on. Very little roast character with fractional hints of toffee and caramel.
Taste- The taste is similar to smell with an added wisp of vanilla. The roasted character does linger in the finish briefly.
Feel- Silky smooth like velvet. Low carbonation and dry. Oddly it feels light almost watery.
Overall- It's a simple no frills Irish Stout and nothing more. Yes, there are better tasting stouts that exist, however, it someone mentions the stout, Guinness is the first beer that I think of.

3.49/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Classic black body, descending sheets of nitro carbonation, crisp contrasting beige head that looks like foamed whipping cream that blankets the glass with lace. The smell and taste are weak and consist mostly of dry oat with just a touch of roast. Dry as they come. The mouthfeel is standard-setting smooth, aided by the never-ending head, but the body is actually light.
Really only worth it on draught for the feel, but there is nothing offensive about the taste, it's just simple and faint. Well deserved icon-status.

Look - pours out black with small caramel head
Smell - caramel, toffee, mocha, coffee, nutty, bready, biscuit
Taste - toffee, caramel, nutty, slight cocoa
Feel - really smooth, low carbonation, coats mouth
Overall - this is really good. I think it's underrated because it's so well known.

4.9/5  rDev +42%

As anyone reading, I drink a lot of beer. However, I never review beers, mainly because good beers tend to receive their credit, plus why would anyone really care what I have to say about beer, I'm not an expert? But I was curious, so I Googled Guinness and found its BA score; it is wrong. How have "beer experts" determined that what was once the gold standard is now deserving of a 77 score (or a 70, Bros)? Because it's not brewed by a couple hipsters in a trendy neighborhood? Because it is mass produced? It's delicious. It's beautiful. It's meant to taste unique. I've had better beers, but it is completely worthy of a 5/5 rating. It's a DRY Stout, emphasis on the dry. It makes you yearn for that next sip, just like a good cocktail. It is smooth and has a burnt toffee aftertaste, pours a deep black with a rich, thick, creamy head that laces the glass perfectly. It's incredibly made and gets better with more pours, A TRUE SESSION BREW before it had a name. It offers a very slight body with a sharply toasted malt smell, that of day old bread that does not overwhelm but rather compliments the taste. Very well made, it's clear why brewers and beer drinkers alike have enjoyed and respected this beer for decades. This should not be kept out of your rotation just because your grandparents have drank it, in fact, that's partially why you should drink it.

do people romanticize a pint of guinness? yes they do. but why shouldn't they? there's a beautiful history behind this beer, and i challenge anyone to find me a more beautiful looking beer. perfect head, an inredible blackish ruby color, it is flawless. smells like stale rye bread, tastes like stale rye bread, and...FUCK YOU, i love stale rye bread! wonderful texture, guinness is still king among stouts.

3.4/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown almost black color, toasty malt flavor, creamy texture, uniquely Guinness. There may be other stouts that are better, but Guinness defined the market. They will always be linked to stouts and very few beers can say they created a style that everyone can attribute to them.

3.8/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Seems to be super low ratings on here simply because it's Guinness. Pours a dark brown with s silky mocha head. Aroma is of roasted malts. Taste is similar but watered down. Feel is smooth and airy. Decent beer.

1.51/5  rDev -56.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

My husband thinks I should use the word "abomination" in my review.
Poured from can into clean tulip glass. Why do people like this beer? This is the fourth time I've tried to drink it, three times from cans, once on tap in a New England bar. Every time, I experienced it as a thin flat swill with a cardboard foretaste, nothing like the rich coffee-chocolate porters I prefer (Fuller's, Young's, Yuengling, Breckinridge, Anchor, etc.). The first can of Guinness Draught I got from the Foodery in Philly, I took it back and told them it was flat, that the fizzer must be malfunctioning. She kindly gave me a new one. Got home, it was exactly the same, I couldn't finish it and poured it down the drain. Tried a can from another store in case it was their shipment; nope, same result. It has a creamy two-tone parfait head that sticks to the glass forever, so I gave it a 3 for Look. After that, there's no pleasure, a waste of calories. OK, now I'm dumping the rest and opening a Yuengling Porter.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.