Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd. visit their website

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,106 | Hads: 6,865
3.44/5  rDev 0%

Served on tap in the obligatory pint glass. When served properly, this is a glorious beer to look at. It's a very dark brown with a thick, creamy head. As I drank the beer, the sides of the glass were almost totally covered in foam. Between the color and the great lacing, this glass of Guinness is probably the best looking beer I've had so far. The taste is a letdown, though. The mouthfeel is very thin for a stout, and the aftertaste has a dry bitterness that seems artificial for some reason. Guinness is a nice alternative in places with a thin beer selection, but it's basically the Budweiser of the stout world.

2.83/5  rDev -17.7%

The colour is black with a tint of very dark wine red. The finger-thick compact foam (peculiar for nitro-tap beer) is off-white.

The smell is really weak with some metallic notes and a touch of black coffee.

The carbonation is mild, yet quite fresh making it very drinkable.

The taste is much milder than I remember; there is a bitter-sour touch and a burned taste of coffee and rubber bands. The dry aftertaste got some notes of bitter hops and burned malt.

This might be the most famous of them all, but there are some far better dry stouts out there…

3.79/5  rDev +10.2%

A typical nitro pour, it is nonetheless quite beautiful to watch the cascading sheets of bubbles as the deep black stout is revealed and the thick creamy head forms on top. I'm a sucker for a good gimmick.

Roasty black burnt aromas make it through the head. Slightly sweet maltiness starts it all out, with a hint of acidity in the middle, and a somewhat acrid burnt finish with a little bitter. The mouthfeel is very light, with that nitro creaminess throughout. I get an appley character building as I get through the pint.

It's a nice quaffable stout, light and refreshing. Maybe it's not breaking any new ground, but it fits my idea of what a dry stout should be quite well. Why have I not reviewed until today?

Perhaps I'll have another and see if I like it just as much as a second time.

Yep, I do.

3.75/5  rDev +9%

Pours a near black with ruby hints and a creamy foam head. The lacing is good but not glass coating like other stouts on tap. The aroma is of subtle roasted barley with a little bit of sweet and sour in the background. The taste is very watery with some grainyness, roasted coffee and a slight astrigency in the back. chocolate notes and roasted barley bitterness have really been reduced in recent years. The mouthfeel is too watery with a fine soft fizz. This beer has definitely lost body in recent years.

Despite the watery nature of this beer, it is readily available and has some refreshing qualities. Good but not very good.

3.34/5  rDev -2.9%

Jeez, how many times have I quaffed a Guinness? And I've yet to review it...
First off, the appearance of this beer trumps almost all others in existence. There's a reason -- it's a big selling point. The beautiful cascading head is pure art, that can't be denied.
There is not much of an aroma, a faint roasty coffee bitterness, and a musty smell, like a basement.
I think it has a very dry, slightly bitter, earthy flavor, with some minor notes of chocolate, and a strange sour twang that makes it a Guinness. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, but not as full-bodied as the brewery would have you believe. The drinkability is relatively high -- it's a go-to session stout, and one can easily put away several pints in a night. This is what the entire Guinness empire is built upon.

3.69/5  rDev +7.3%

Perhaps the most drinkable and pleasing of the commonly available beers on tap at most restaurants and bars. Guinness manages to be pretty consistant, with an excellent appearance, dark and thick, with a vigorous head and the wonderful nitro cascade. The smell is just average, having little in the way of distinctive aromas, just a basic stout smell and a little less fragrant than some of the better stouts. The taste is well above average, nothing to write home about and not as creamy as I like my stouts, but there is a distinctive flavor of hops that is pleasing. The mouthfull is good and full, what you would expect of a stout. A very drinkable beer. Pretty much my staple in bars that don't have large selections of "good" beers.

4.11/5  rDev +19.5%

Perhaps my fondness for this old friend clouds my judgement and raises the ranking but I do love to get nostalgic and revisit this stout. I always enjoy the warnigns to pour cold (as if the beer police will come for me if I dont).

The color and head were excellent. As usual, there was not much smell associated with the initial pour. The smooth feel in the mouth and the long finish are the best qualities and I find them to be superior in the can when compared to either of the bottled versions.

I know there are better stouts out there and I am told what we get in the states is a pale comparison to what you would find in Ireland but this will always remain a favorite.

4.48/5  rDev +30.2%

It's been a couple years since I've had a draught Guinness. I used to drink it religiously, but kind of lost the faith after I discovered American micros and craft imports.

But last night I found myself in Boston with some time to kill and stumbled onto an Irish pub in Allston -- sorry, can't remember the name -- and was immediately lured in by the sight of several pint of frothy Guinness coming over the bar. I ordered one for me, and I swear it took longer to pour than it did for me to drink. I wound up having three of them, and enjoyed it as much as I have any beer in recent memory.

I'm amazed at people who say that Guinness is 'too heavy,' or 'too strong.' This is one of the easiest beers in the world to drink, and at only about 4% alcohol, you can drink plenty of them.

Just a great beer.

2.83/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

What Happened To My Guinness??!!??!!??

Appearance: Same great creamy looking head and leaves rings of lace all the way down ... the color is not as black as it used to be, its more of a very dark brown. Damn, I can see the bar light through the bottom of my pint!

Smell: Rusty water with some faint grain.

Taste: The tame roasted character is laughable, bitterness has been toned down and there is a mild cloying sweetness in the back.

Mouthfeel: Same nitro mouth feel but very, very thin and watery.

Drinkability: This beer has been dumbed down so much it is like drinking water. There are far better stouts than this.

This beer is an obvious victim of thinking about the $$$ and not the quality of the product.

There are rumors that the American product is kegged in the US from a combination of the "Essence of Guinness" (A product of Ireland) and the same malt base used in malternatives. I will find out the truth one day.

3.59/5  rDev +4.4%

Had on tap so many times I can't remember them all. Black as hell and red in the light with big whip cream looking white head. I don't think it really smells like much, sweet cream comes to mind though. Tastes a little malty with a hoppy bitterness and the creamiest and greatest mouthfeel of all time. Many has been the time I've knocked back pints in the double digits of this black brew. Highest drinkability of any beer beccause its so damned smooth. Definately my favourite easily accessible beer, not enough I can say about Guinness Draught except that I need to try it in Ireland.

I've decided I've become fed up with the increasing shittiness of Guinness on tap. Every time I have a pint it becomes more watery and disappointing.

3.8/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured a 14.9oz. Nitro can into a British Imperial Pint Glass and it yeiled a dark near perfect black stout with a half-finer off-white head that was fed from the cascade and that lasted the entire length of the sample.

Smell was of dark caramel, nut, and coffee and it felt slightly less heavy on the palate than it does on tap. I little thin, certainly not watery but it left a weaker consistancy that I am used to on tap.

Taste also a little lacking from the tap. It was slightly more bitter but still lead to an enjoyable finish. Very dry to finish consistant with the style.

Very easy to drink. Although certainly not my favorite stout it makes a great classic fall back when the selection is nill and this is almost always a choice at most places in Boston both at the Bar and in the Store. It lacks a little in the nitro can as oppose to the tap, but still very easy to put a few of them down. IMO, a safe bet.

Guinness Draught pours a midnight red from a 11.2oz black plastic with cream white trim, covered glass bottle. Head goes to well over two fingers and after the nitro settles out, leaves a frothy cap, that stays for ever.

Nose is of damp charcoal and nitrogen, mixed with whiffs of alcohol. Palate is a hops bitter, tempered by the nitro, leaving me wanting more, but getting less.

This brew is all show and no go, give me the malts, give me the hops, and give me the alcohol, the quaff of nitro does not empress me in the least.

I want the stout!!!

I have stoped drinking this stuff, I can't really call it "Guinness" any more.

I am also re-reviewing this stuff... It's going to be all 1's... I have never given a beer all 1's before in my life!

I for one am tired of being exploited, I have been asked about boycotting before, but did not jump on the band wagon... this... this is sacrilege!

Just say no to "Guinness"

2.96/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearence: The head melts so wonderfully into the brew. I'm blown away. A dark, dark brew with an almost-bleach head. Little lacing.

Smell: Smells like a stout to me!! Chocolate, coffee and more. Nothing really stands out though.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Water! This is coffee flavored water. I don't quite get it. This isn't a stout. No predominate flavors, and no strong mouthfeel. What's the big deal? Thank God I didn't pay for this. The mouthfeel is thin and watery.

Drinkability and Overall: This is a below average stout, that is nothing special. I've always heard this was a great "fallback" beer if nothing is available, but I disagree. Somehow I managed to skip this on my road to better beer, and I'm glad I did.

2.87/5  rDev -16.6%

It looks like regular Guinness at a glance. Only almost no head and it's not nearly as opaque. Still, the bubbles going backwards are cool.

Smells like almost nothing. There's a nice roasted malt odor to be found but you got to search for it like its a goddamn easter egg.

This does not taste like any Guinness that I've ever had. Nutty, almost. There's a tiny bit of roasted malt up front, a little bit of bitterness at the back. It's too faint to be too complicated.

The mouthfeel is like fucking water. Ditch the widget, fellas. It ain't doing no good. I actually think this might be better straight out of the bottle.

I got this for Christmas. Thanks mom. It's ok, I guess. It came with a little mini CD ROM that shows those adorable little men from the commercials talking about famous plays in sports history. The disc was easily the best part of the package.

3.74/5  rDev +8.7%

Nitro can, pours like cold creamed coffee. Massive brown cascading head with lasting power and lacing. Roasted coffee aroma with chocolate hints, and little hops. This is a bitter beer, smooth and roasted, it has a creamy aftertaste accented by the nitrogen. The body is thin even with the nitrogen, and leaves a coffee aftertaste. This is a good stout that others can be measured against.

2.18/5  rDev -36.6%

This is a shit beer. The only reason I even tried it was because it was on-sale at $1 a bottle at a place I didn't want to be at anyway. So I had one of these. I can't believe that the people who are in charge of importing Guinness into USA allow such a huge quality difference.

This beer is so bad that I won't honor it with much more of a review other than to say that these Guinness people ought to stick to know what they know best. Draft beer.

MF is crap.
D is reasonably good. hate to trash a brewer but here I go.

3.7/5  rDev +7.6%

Ah, good ol' Guinness. This is the beer I credit as starting me towards the better beers in life.

Appearance: This is the one part of this beer I think no one can complain about. Absolutely beautiful. Deep black with a thick and creamy head, and the cascading effect is absolutely magnificent.

Smell: I reall wasn't able to smell much from this one. Little hints of roastiness and maltiness. No hops. Certainly not an unpleasant smell, just not significant.

Taste: Very thin. Creamy with some nice coffee and roasted flavors. In fact, that's about all that's there. Tastes quite good, however not a strong taste in the least.

Mouthfeel: I personally enjoy the nitro mouthfeel. It's a bit then, but the creaminess and texture of the carbonation is distinct from the CO2 and a nice change of pace.

Drinkability: Fantastically drinkable beer. Love to go with these for a session, the ABV is relatively low at 4.2, so you can have a ton and not be in too bad of shape. Given an unlimited amount of free guinness in an evening, i'm not sure when I'd stop.

4.27/5  rDev +24.1%

There's Guinness from the tap, Guinness from the can, and Guinness from the bottle. If you drink enough of the stuff, you'll come to understand - like I have - that the three sources provide three distinct variations on a theme. From the bottle is okay, from the nitro can is excellent, but from the tap... Guinness Draught can be divine. Which leads us to this review - the nitro can.

Pop the top and listen for the rush of the nitrogen as your Guiness goes through a process very similar to what happens when it's mixed at the tap. Pour and watch the brew tumble to a tar-black body crowned with a tawny brown head. Remember that head, because there's a very good chance it will outlast the rest of the beer.

If there's a "chink in the armor" for Guinness, it's the beer's smell. Some stouts have distinct aromas, but Guinness from the nitro can tends to have such a thick set of smells that nothing really comes through. Instead of actual smells, I'd tend to explain the aroma of canned Guinness in terms of weights. For example, one might call the smell of canned Guinness ten pounds of coffee and five pounds of chocolate in the bag for three pounds of gold. But maybe that's just me.

The taste of this beer is perfectly replicated from the tap to the can, as opposed to the bottle. Those of you who've only had tap and bottle will notice a considerable difference. Personally, I find the difference to be a little repulsive, so I was glad to find out that St James' Gate Brewery got it right in the nitro can. For those who no nothing of the taste of Guinness, I urge you not to take my word for it. Guinness is one of those beers you simply have to try for yourself, and if you like stouts or porters, I think you'll enjoy it.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are unbelievably smooth and satisfying. You might as well drink a small saucer of creme if you want to know how Guinness will feel going down.

If you've never tried an irish dry stout before, I think Guinness would be a great way to break into the style. Just be sure you have Guinness on its own before you branch out into black-and-tans or irish car bombs. To experience it properly, I think you have to start with the basics.

3.61/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a nice dark black with the classic cascading head...leaves a thick fluffy inch and a half head on top. I always enjoy the presentation of Guinness. Nice roasty nose with background hints of cocoa and coffee. A bit too subdued for me, but nice.

A good roasted, slightly burnt malt profile along with hints of coffee and slight notes of chocolate. A good irish stout that goes well with food.

Mouthfeel is creamy, however there is almost no carbonation. Goes down like water. I could have a few of these, but there are plenty other stouts that I'd go to first.

2.35/5  rDev -31.7%

It feels blasphemous to be anything but awed by Guinness, but this product seems sub-par. Maybe the brewers decided looks are more important than taste.
To disregard all other aspects, this is a beautiful beer. I poured it, though I'm not sure you're supposed to, and it did its usual thing with the cascading waterfall rising up the glass. Dark as night, hard to say a SRM for blackness.
The smell was forshadowing of the lackluster performance of this Canadian imitation.
This beer tasted and felt watered down. I gave a friend a drink and he said the same thing. Just a hint of the things I love about Guinness, its a shame.

Ok my first review and had to be a Guinness,lol. Why I really don't like it because back then it would just make me quit drinking. But that was before I experience craft beers.

Appearance: Wow! I love watching the show that this beer put on then it is poured into a glass.

Smell: Same old smell

Taste: Real smooth, so smooth I feel like it's clogging up something when I drink it.

3.54/5  rDev +2.9%

This was my crossover beer, and one that I revisit frequently, as it is available everywhere.

appearance: pours a deep black with hints of red and a thick beige head that will not dissipate. this is one of the most enticing beers that I have ever seen.

smell: sweet malty goodness

taste: rich roasted malt and chocolate with no hoppy bitterness

mouthfeel: dissapointingly thin

drinkability: good overall taste combined with low ABV equals a great session beer

3.91/5  rDev +13.7%

What can I say, I'm a sucker for the look of nitro stouts. Velvety black body, with ruby highlights, and a thick, nitro-creamy, light off-tan head that never goes away. Smells of light roasted barley, mild milk chocolate, and nitro cardboard. Tastes much the same. I like the complexity of the roasted/milk chocolate malt flavor. Combined with the creamy, silky, full-bodied mouthfeel, it makes for a tasty, yet subtlle beer. Better as it warms, and very drinkable.

Some people love to hate Guinness. I think it is the best Irish Dry Stout that man has created. Pitch black with it's creamy tan head that never goes away... I dig nitro dispensed beers... The light aroma of dark malts is nice and mellow. The flavor is every bit as mellow. It is a sweet and has a bit of a roasted malt bite that dry's out the finish. The hops are indiscernible in the background, but that is fine for the style. It is as good in the draught can as it is on tap. I wonder if it really is better in Ireland, but I think the American/Canadian version is pretty good. With it's low alcohol content it is easy to drink all night long.

2.59/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The famed Guinness poured black with a nice white head that left good lacing. The smell was rather weak, with only hints of roasted malts and dark chocolate. The taste didn't impress me either. Some coffee and chocolate and then a strong bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel was not all that great either, rather thin for such a dark beer. As for the drinkability; if this is the best beer that a bar serves, I'll be drinking rum and coke.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.