Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,092 | Hads: 6,784
3.74/5  rDev +8.7%

Nitro can, pours like cold creamed coffee. Massive brown cascading head with lasting power and lacing. Roasted coffee aroma with chocolate hints, and little hops. This is a bitter beer, smooth and roasted, it has a creamy aftertaste accented by the nitrogen. The body is thin even with the nitrogen, and leaves a coffee aftertaste. This is a good stout that others can be measured against. (389 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -36.6%

This is a shit beer. The only reason I even tried it was because it was on-sale at $1 a bottle at a place I didn't want to be at anyway. So I had one of these. I can't believe that the people who are in charge of importing Guinness into USA allow such a huge quality difference.

This beer is so bad that I won't honor it with much more of a review other than to say that these Guinness people ought to stick to know what they know best. Draft beer.

MF is crap.
D is reasonably good. hate to trash a brewer but here I go. (527 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +7.6%

Ah, good ol' Guinness. This is the beer I credit as starting me towards the better beers in life.

Appearance: This is the one part of this beer I think no one can complain about. Absolutely beautiful. Deep black with a thick and creamy head, and the cascading effect is absolutely magnificent.

Smell: I reall wasn't able to smell much from this one. Little hints of roastiness and maltiness. No hops. Certainly not an unpleasant smell, just not significant.

Taste: Very thin. Creamy with some nice coffee and roasted flavors. In fact, that's about all that's there. Tastes quite good, however not a strong taste in the least.

Mouthfeel: I personally enjoy the nitro mouthfeel. It's a bit then, but the creaminess and texture of the carbonation is distinct from the CO2 and a nice change of pace.

Drinkability: Fantastically drinkable beer. Love to go with these for a session, the ABV is relatively low at 4.2, so you can have a ton and not be in too bad of shape. Given an unlimited amount of free guinness in an evening, i'm not sure when I'd stop. (1,068 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +24.1%

There's Guinness from the tap, Guinness from the can, and Guinness from the bottle. If you drink enough of the stuff, you'll come to understand - like I have - that the three sources provide three distinct variations on a theme. From the bottle is okay, from the nitro can is excellent, but from the tap... Guinness Draught can be divine. Which leads us to this review - the nitro can.

Pop the top and listen for the rush of the nitrogen as your Guiness goes through a process very similar to what happens when it's mixed at the tap. Pour and watch the brew tumble to a tar-black body crowned with a tawny brown head. Remember that head, because there's a very good chance it will outlast the rest of the beer.

If there's a "chink in the armor" for Guinness, it's the beer's smell. Some stouts have distinct aromas, but Guinness from the nitro can tends to have such a thick set of smells that nothing really comes through. Instead of actual smells, I'd tend to explain the aroma of canned Guinness in terms of weights. For example, one might call the smell of canned Guinness ten pounds of coffee and five pounds of chocolate in the bag for three pounds of gold. But maybe that's just me.

The taste of this beer is perfectly replicated from the tap to the can, as opposed to the bottle. Those of you who've only had tap and bottle will notice a considerable difference. Personally, I find the difference to be a little repulsive, so I was glad to find out that St James' Gate Brewery got it right in the nitro can. For those who no nothing of the taste of Guinness, I urge you not to take my word for it. Guinness is one of those beers you simply have to try for yourself, and if you like stouts or porters, I think you'll enjoy it.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are unbelievably smooth and satisfying. You might as well drink a small saucer of creme if you want to know how Guinness will feel going down.

If you've never tried an irish dry stout before, I think Guinness would be a great way to break into the style. Just be sure you have Guinness on its own before you branch out into black-and-tans or irish car bombs. To experience it properly, I think you have to start with the basics. (2,205 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a nice dark black with the classic cascading head...leaves a thick fluffy inch and a half head on top. I always enjoy the presentation of Guinness. Nice roasty nose with background hints of cocoa and coffee. A bit too subdued for me, but nice.

A good roasted, slightly burnt malt profile along with hints of coffee and slight notes of chocolate. A good irish stout that goes well with food.

Mouthfeel is creamy, however there is almost no carbonation. Goes down like water. I could have a few of these, but there are plenty other stouts that I'd go to first. (570 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -31.7%

It feels blasphemous to be anything but awed by Guinness, but this product seems sub-par. Maybe the brewers decided looks are more important than taste.
To disregard all other aspects, this is a beautiful beer. I poured it, though I'm not sure you're supposed to, and it did its usual thing with the cascading waterfall rising up the glass. Dark as night, hard to say a SRM for blackness.
The smell was forshadowing of the lackluster performance of this Canadian imitation.
This beer tasted and felt watered down. I gave a friend a drink and he said the same thing. Just a hint of the things I love about Guinness, its a shame. (630 characters)

Ok my first review and had to be a Guinness,lol. Why I really don't like it because back then it would just make me quit drinking. But that was before I experience craft beers.

Appearance: Wow! I love watching the show that this beer put on then it is poured into a glass.

Smell: Same old smell

Taste: Real smooth, so smooth I feel like it's clogging up something when I drink it. (390 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +2.9%

This was my crossover beer, and one that I revisit frequently, as it is available everywhere.

appearance: pours a deep black with hints of red and a thick beige head that will not dissipate. this is one of the most enticing beers that I have ever seen.

smell: sweet malty goodness

taste: rich roasted malt and chocolate with no hoppy bitterness

mouthfeel: dissapointingly thin

drinkability: good overall taste combined with low ABV equals a great session beer (475 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +13.7%

What can I say, I'm a sucker for the look of nitro stouts. Velvety black body, with ruby highlights, and a thick, nitro-creamy, light off-tan head that never goes away. Smells of light roasted barley, mild milk chocolate, and nitro cardboard. Tastes much the same. I like the complexity of the roasted/milk chocolate malt flavor. Combined with the creamy, silky, full-bodied mouthfeel, it makes for a tasty, yet subtlle beer. Better as it warms, and very drinkable. (465 characters)

Some people love to hate Guinness. I think it is the best Irish Dry Stout that man has created. Pitch black with it's creamy tan head that never goes away... I dig nitro dispensed beers... The light aroma of dark malts is nice and mellow. The flavor is every bit as mellow. It is a sweet and has a bit of a roasted malt bite that dry's out the finish. The hops are indiscernible in the background, but that is fine for the style. It is as good in the draught can as it is on tap. I wonder if it really is better in Ireland, but I think the American/Canadian version is pretty good. With it's low alcohol content it is easy to drink all night long. (647 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The famed Guinness poured black with a nice white head that left good lacing. The smell was rather weak, with only hints of roasted malts and dark chocolate. The taste didn't impress me either. Some coffee and chocolate and then a strong bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel was not all that great either, rather thin for such a dark beer. As for the drinkability; if this is the best beer that a bar serves, I'll be drinking rum and coke. (435 characters)

pours a thin black with a neat, smallish off-white head.

pleasant aroma. sweet, roasty, chocolatey.

taste is disappointing. raw potatoes and water come to mind. strange sour roasty bitter aftertaste.

very thin. very tasteless. does not possess most of the stout qualities which i enjoy. (290 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -7%

I have heard so many people refer to this stuff as the best beer ever it makes me sick. While i like the fact that it is available in nitor cans, which makes a final product that taste a lot like chocolate milk, there are much better stouts in the world. I do wish this had an abv of the extra stout, i would most likely get it more often. (339 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -17.2%

This brew is guinness with novacane. It is too cold to actually taste, however as it warms, it tastes the same as a standard guinness.

It isnt bad, however, if you are going to go for a guinness, the real one is far superior due to the temperature at which it is served.

Also best on tap in Ireland, I tried one in England and it didnt have the same flavor. (363 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -17.7%

As we poured the can, the beer was a uniform color of sand. As it settled, the bottom was a gorgeous black/brown, with a head the color and almost the consistency of cream. The head is a bit short (could be my novice pouring skills), but is definitely the best part of this beer. It is tenacious and tastes like whip cream. Carbonation was rather weak, and that seemed to lead to the fact that when held in the mouth, there seems to be almost no flavor at all. After that, the aroma is almost non-existent. Aside from the delicious cream, the only thing that stands out is the oppressive aftertaste. Without that, it would be a very average, drinkable beer. But, with that aftertaste, it makes you want to drink it fast, which is a shame.

Overall, enjoy the head, fear the aftertaste. Everything in between is unremarkable. (826 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -17.2%

Well, it's Guinness. We've all tried this one.
My friend swears by this stuff. Me? so so.
Anyway, have had it many a time in bottles/can/tap but they've been advertising this nitro can, so what the hell.
Pours the same black with a thick creamy foam. Beautiful cascading head after it's poured.
Smell, coffee and burnt chocolate.
Taste is about the same - think day old french roast with alcohol.
Mouthfeel, thinner than I remember the other forms, but it has been a while (and lots of beer since). I really expect more from a beer this dark.
Drinkability - sure, if you think it will make you look cool, go ahead.
The BAs know you're just a poser. (661 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +15.7%

Despite the "drink straight from the bottle" recommendation, I poured a bottle, appearence is wonderful, with a thick creamy head that reminds me of the texture of foam on a root beer float.

Smells/Tastes great, not at all overpowering, but the amount of flavor makes me think it should be. Wonderful beer (309 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -58.7%

Well, a fancy nitro-can of Guinness. Never got around to buying this stuff mainly because it's so dammed expensive, and there's always something else I'm in the mood for. I got this can for free.

Appearance - Wow. This beer looks cool. Nice cascading, rippling effect of the beer settling. Looks good for a stout.

Smell - faint toasty aroma. Not much else.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Faint toasted malt - VERY faint. No hop character to speak of. This tastes incredibly watered down, and I'm very surprised. All I ever heard is how "rich and creamy" Guinness is. This is pathetic. I don't wan't to finish this. I'm pouring the rest out in my sink.

Stout water? (667 characters)

I noticed I haven't reviewed this beer on tap and I think that I really should considering the number of times I have had it on tap. This beer is so much better on tap, when it's not old, then out of the nitro can. I think the nitro masks all that this beer has to offer. Not really bitter but more of a chocolate, grainy flavor going along with some creaminess. I could drink this on tap all night long and when compared to Beamish or Murphy's, its in a league of its own. (473 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +18.3%

I looove the taste of guinness. Crazily enough it was the first beer that i ever liked. If you talk to most people they will say, guinness shouldn't even be under a beer category, it should be a food. they are certainly right. You drink guinness like you would eat a meal. Its hearty and quite bitter, which is why i didn't give it a better score for drinkability. You can't just down guinness after guinness, that would be a horrible waste!

for best results drink from tap at a genuine Irish bar. Doesn't get much better folks (533 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -3.8%

Consumed in October 2004 at the Prince of Wales Pub in San Mateo, CA. The barkeep took forever to pour this brew. The head kept growing bigger and bigger and would not subside. It took literally 5 minutes from the time they started pouring to the time I actually got the beer in my hands. Needless to say, it was a nice pour. Looks pretty damn black and creamy. Smells of dark malt. Not a whole lot of coffee scent, just dark, burnt roasted malt. Taste is just ho-hum to me. A little coffee flavor and admitedly goes down very smooth. Served at room temp which was also nice for this kind of beer. Have had this beer many times before and I am just getting around to rating it. A good beer, but not a great one in my opinion. A good stand by though. A pretty drinkable beer. (774 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +20.1%

I had this out of a 14.9 oz tall can and served in a pint glass.

Jet black in appearance with a fluffy, off white head that sustains its form on top. Classic rushing and cascading mini bubbles form the structure of this beer as it settles from the widget induced can pour.

Aroma of roasted and smoked malts.

Taste is creamy and very, very smooth. Creamy and buttery up front with a nice dry finish. The dry finish works with a roasted malt presence. Think coffee flavored shake at room temp. Roasted coffee like bitterness also makes it way on the palate.

The Guinness draught can is so damn drinkable and quaffable. Very low in carbonation and its creamy flavor make this an easy beer to slam in minimal time. Without question, we all know Guinness is so much better from the tap, but this is a nice alternative. This beer doesn't have the complexity of the Guinness Foreign Stout, but is still very enjoyable.

The only "negative" to this beer is the low ABV%. It's like trying to drink light beers and getting a nice buzz on...it's a difficult task. On the other hand, this makes the perfect session beer on tap at my local Irish pub. (1,153 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -3.8%

14.9 oz. can pours black with a huge viscous head, awesome lacing on the glass. Smokey, spicy smell; think bacon. Taste is a creamy, eggs over easy, with smoked spicy bacon and buttered dark bread toast. Finishes with a tasty coffee flavor on the palate.
A non-fat, low calorie instant breakfast ! (300 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -7.6%

I've just written a review for the nitro bottle and here is the nitro can comparative review. I prefer the bottle, for various reasons, and the can has always been a disappointment to me. When I've wanted a nitro-can Irish stout, I've always found Beamish to be a superior choice (although I prefer Guinness on draft at a pub).

Having said that, I discover the beer pours with distinction, a rich, deep brown with a band of solid cream atop. Off a can pour, the top of the head is a bit ragged and jagged, not as smooth as a perfectly poured pint. The aroma is muted but some traditional Guinness elements are in evidence. The flavor itself is similary obscured, perhaps by the nitro can technology, or it could be an older sample. Still, some roasty and creamy Guinness flavors pull through. On the whole, the beer is a bit grassier, perhaps, without as much of the complicated and subtle hop flavors -- more of a prickly bite. The finish is similarly misaligned, and a lingering sourness is out of place. The mouthfeel is not as seductive. Not as high scores as I gave the nitro bottle; actually, I was surprised by how badly the can fared in direct comparison.

I suppose I should complete this trilogy, and go to a bar to review a pint from the keg, but I seriously doubt that will happen anytime soon. (1,311 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance: I was instructed to drink it from the bottle, but it looked very dark with a good head.
Smell: Good and crisp.
Taste: Light roasted stout flavors. Decent bitterness. Lighter than other stouts but still good.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and easy.
Drinkability: A great session beer. (287 characters)

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.