Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,701 | Reviews: 2,227
3.54/5  rDev +0.3%

I know that this beer bottle was designed to drink the beer from the bottle and I have done so, but this time I poured it into a glass. I just have to see my Guinness to enjoy it more. First, the pour is one of the best with the cascading nitro effect. The head is a beautiful finger high creamy off-white and the lacing is great also. Aromas of caramel coffee, roasted malts, and white bread. Taste is not as flavorful as the aromas lead on, but there is still plenty of roasted malt flavor, but it tastes a little watery. Mouthfeel is thin for a stout, but Guinness usually has that quality and I sort of like that. Low alcohol content and not as filling as one may expect which would make this an easy session beer.

3.38/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Pours pitch black with brown and red hues. Small creamy tan head that last. Thick lace on the glass.
S: Smells of coffee with just a hint of chocolate.
T: Plentiful roasted malty sweetness with a very mild bitterness on the back of the tongue. Kind of a rubbery aftertaste and a little thin tasting for a stout.
M: Creamy head feels good on the lips and in the mouth. A bit watery for a stout.
D: Very drinkable.
Good beer but better options for the style. Solid but not impressive.

3.55/5  rDev +0.6%

A dark brown color with a tan-colored head that has excellent retention and body. Smells of roasted barley. The taste is smooth and creamy with a dry finish that amplifies over time. Maybe it's just that I've had a number of Double Stouts and Milk/Sweet Stouts so to me, this beer seems rather bland. I know it's a good representation of the style, but it's just seems like something is missing. The texture of the beer, the richness of the beer seems to imply something else could be added, just don't ask me what that something is. Overall, this is a good beer that can be had several times, but I do think that it is a bit bland and can have additional complexity and flavors.

2.02/5  rDev -42.8%

Its amazing how what was once great can turn to crap so fast.

When I first had guinness I was drinking your basic macro lagers. So it was different and great. Had one the other day. Nasty.

A = Still looks great. Pours a dark ruby with a thick brown head with bubbles flowing backwards. Awesome.

S = Slightly roasted malts. But pretty much nothing.

T = Creamy with slight roasted malt flavour, followed by a faint sweetness. Yuck.

M = Watery.

D = Better stouts to drink.

3.08/5  rDev -12.7%

This looks fine (describing it is rather redundant), and its smell is pleasant. There is no coffee in the nose, but there is a little oatmeal, a creamy dairy smell and a hint of pilsner style clean hoppiness.

The taste is decent. There is a slightly roasted malt start, and a pleasant oatmeal tinged finish. The problem lies with the feel. This isn't velvety, thick and luxurious (like Rogue's Shakespeare Stout, or even as some proponents of Guinness would have you believe), but rather it is unconscionably watery, and thus the beer is terribly insubstantial. It is eminently drinkable, if you can be bothered. I'd rather have one bottle of Guinness Extra Stout than three pints of this though.

Please note this score seems much to high to me, but then again I think feel is much more important than appearance. If it is good in the mouth who cares what it looks like?

3.81/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance: inviting near black color. can't see through it. head is a 1/4 inch, a nice creamy color, thick, and lasts damn near forever.

Smell: sweet, caramely.

Taste: coffee and chocolate flavors prevail. Don't try with salty foods.

Feel: Thick on the toungue, with very little carbonation.

Drinkibility: Very easy to drink. I'm a fan, and I'd drink it again. interested to try it on tap.

1.66/5  rDev -53%

Meal in a can is what a lot of folks say about it, but I think I'd prefer actual food. The appearence is a beautiful dark mahogany, with a manila cream top. The head is good sized, but after taking a sip, I realize that this is because this where so much of the carbonation ends up. Since it's so flat, this coffee-chocolate brew would probably be better off served on ice as a mocha latte!

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

The quintessential Irish stout, Guinness Draught uses roasted, non-malted barley to create an easy-drinking, dry quality not found in many stouts. Combined with just the right amount of hops, the end result is a superbly smooth beer with a silky mouthfeel, notes of chocolate and coffee, and a gorgeous, tightly laced head that endures until the last sip. Truly a sublime experience!

3.86/5  rDev +9.3%

I first had Guinness in the nitro-bottle and wasn't a real fan. I then decided to give the nitro-cans a try. Wow! If you have a choice between the two, get the can! It's like an entire different beer. Pours with a nice 1/2" head that hangs around for most of the glass. The smell is pleasant but not very strong. the taste is full bodied with a strong dark roasted coffee aftertaste. This is a very drinkable pint. I downed mine before I knew what happened.

1.5/5  rDev -57.5%

Can't see the beer through the bottle. Where is the "Sound" Category? I would definintely give the clinking of the plastic thing in the bottle a 4.5. Doesn't smell like anything. Taste? No not really. A bit of muted sweetness and some cocoa. The mouthfeel is watery and flaccid. This is terrible.

3.14/5  rDev -11%

This review is for the cool nitro can. Everyone knows guinness, but if you're at the store and have to choose between this can or a bottle, I highly recommend the can.
open it up and the gasses hiss for several seconds
looks great! one of the best looking and most entertaining beers to pour. dark dark brown , not quite black. wonderful creamy tan head, lasts about a week.
smells good. swisher sweets with coffee.
tastes OK. a little bitter, really lacking in the flavor department, but not terrible.
Overall a good beer, but the aftertaste reminds me of cigarettes and vomit, doesnt make me want another.

4.13/5  rDev +17%

Presentation: 11.2oz brown glass custom bottle, white/red/gold on black wrap-around plastic label

Appearance: almost black, nice tan head, excellent sticky lacing

Smell: roasted malt, sweetness, hint of caramel

Taste: medium body, very creamy mouth feel, coffee, chocolate, malt, hoppiness

Notes: solid brew, very drinkable, can't go wrong with this one

4.88/5  rDev +38.2%

The guinness brewery put its flagship brand always on front of innovation, with this nitro can of a pint literally hit a ball of vanguard, its appearance, smell, and taste make feel like was in a irish pub widely recommendable, guinness is new brewer in my country, but start good and mantain its quality control is superior.

2.46/5  rDev -30.3%

the beer looks great, the cascading "effect" is quite impressive.
unfortunately can't say the same about smell, mouthfeel and taste.
don't even know what to say about the smell, since there's not much of it.
mouthfeel is watery, not as creamy as one would think from the looks of this beer.
as for the taste... lots of stuff seem to be lacking. this beer tastes watered down, faint roasted malts can be perceived, but only slightly. no "chocolate",or "coffee" flavors, or any of those things that I heard people say, about Guinness. not the stuff I expected to taste.
a great disappontment, just flat and boring.

4.11/5  rDev +16.4%

Appearance: gorgeous, nearly black color with cascading nitro separation building into a beautiful, creamy, carmelly head.

Smell: Robust malts dominate the smell with coffee hints behind.

Taste: The taste is so enjoyably complex with a lot of dark malty sweetness, coffee and caramel coming steadily through, and finely balanced hops provide a bitter balancing act.

Mouthfeel: so creamy and the persistent head provides a treat on the lips with every sip.

Drinkability: a very drinkable stout; great for the stout category.

2.54/5  rDev -28%

Guinness from the bottle. Had it in the past and it taste like Guinness, but lacks some major things from the nitro-tap and can types.

Appearance is impossible if left in the bottle, so I poured it in a glass. No real head, just black. Meh.

Mouthfeel is also negatively affected. Even when not poured into a glass the creamyness is gone, pouring it only makes it worse.

If I'm going to have Guinness, I'll get cans or from a tap. Plus, the cans are 1 pint instead of a mere 12 ounces.

3.03/5  rDev -14.2%

I think this beer is the Budweiser of the Irish dry stout world. It's entirely overrated by the Irish wannabe crowd (that's right I said it!). The truth is there are better Irish stouts out there and drinking nothing but Guinness is like drinking nothing but Budweiser. I drank this in both nitro bottle and nitro can and for some reason the bottle version is more flavourful while the can has a thicker mouthfeel (though this beer never has very much body). Some of the flavors aside from the typical roasted barley and coffee are nothing and sour beer. That's right! I said it! I taste sourness! That's weird, I'm used to bitterness, but never sourness. Almost like they put old beer in the mix with new beer. I actually have heard that this was true of the brewing process, but I can't be sure. Whatever the case, this sour note can detract from my enjoyment of the beverage, depending on my mood of course. Mediocre with the occasion for disapointment.

3.61/5  rDev +2.3%

11.2oz nitro bottle that has their Rocket Wedge in the bottle. I couldn't pass up that $1 price, that I got at a grocery store.

Appearance: Poured an almost jet-black color with traces of ruby highlights in it. Also had a nice one inch head of tan colored foam that left little lace.
Smell: Had some sweet caramel, chocolate, and the most predominate smell was that of the dark roasted malts.
Taste: It had a dry, bitter, roasted malt taste to it. Kind of tasted like some old coffee.
Mouthfeel: To me, the mouthfeel was light, watery, and thin. It also left a strong dry roasted malt aftertaste that lasted for a while.
Drinkabliity: This is a good beer than can be found everywhere and would make a very good choice if the only thing around is macros.

4.29/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours dark black. It is one of the most interesting beers I've ever come in contact with. The bubbles go down instead of up! It smells of coffee. It is one of the smoothest beers I've ever drank. They go down very easily. I would recommend this beer to a friend. It is a little weak for a stout. All said, it is a great beer I enjoy often.

4.08/5  rDev +15.6%

Sampled at Majerle's Sports Bar in downtown phoenix.

Serving Type: On-Tap

Appearance: Very dark, almost pitch black but not quite. Nice 1/2 inch caramel head.

Smell: Hints of chocolate, caramel, and roast.

Taste: I was expecting this beer to be very bitter, but I was surprised to taste the underlying smells of chocolate and caramel without the harsh bitterness.

Mouthfeel: I felt this beer was a little thin for a stout, but definitely not the worst I've had.

Drinkability: Very smooth, and easy to drink due to the lack of carbonation you'd find in other beers.

4.07/5  rDev +15.3%

This beer is almost as black as Bedford-Stuyvasant, and I mean that in a good way for both parties. Not as much head as I was anticipating, Chocolate roasted malt hits the sniffer like a fresh breeze.
Smooth,rich taste with very little carbonation. Satisfying. Solid enough to make me lick my lips after every sip.
Certainly not a regular thing, but there's times when a Guinness is just the thing, especially as the first brew of a session.

3.38/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from an undated "rocket bottle", into a pint glass. The shrink wrapped plasitc says to drink from the bottle. No.

Nice cascade effect that is synonymous with the label. Dark body with a creamy light tan nitro head that sticks to the glass in sheets.

The nose is a bit weak, but roasted malts that are slightly smokey and paired with milk come through. Dry hops round it out.

Tastes like Guinness, but not near as flavorfull as it is on tap or even from a nitro can. Not only are the flavors muted, but the mouth really suffers. I don't see any point in this packaging.

3.54/5  rDev +0.3%

Not bad. The insane creaminess saves this one. This pours a beautifaul rich brown then black with a nice creamy tan head. The aroma is of malts and coffee. The taste is of roasted malts and again coffee hints. The mouthfeel is so smooth and creamy. This has always been very drinkable for me. Not as good as the extra stout though.

3.63/5  rDev +2.8%

Ahh, Guinness.. Poured a deep ruby red, so dark it looks brown at first glance.. I love the small, persistant tan head from the nitrogenation... I personally find Guinness to be one of the most visually attractive beers that I have had. As for smell, it seemed somewhat caramel and chocolatey to me, and a bit of roasted malt.. Very good smell... Taste is a little bitter, somewhat coffee-like, but fairly balanced.. As for mouthfeel, its very smooth and creamy to me.. mmm.. Guinness is quite drinkable, though it tends to fill me up rather quickly... I wouldn't generally drink more than one or two in a sitting. However, the Guinness sold here doesn't compete with Ireland, I know this from experience..

4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

On tap at McDermott's Pub in Doolin, County Clare, Ireland, June 8, 9, and 10, 2005, then again at more than a half-dozen other locations in Counties Clare, Cavan and Louth.

Well, the liquid that comes in bottles and cans here in the states hardly seems like the same creamy, rich roasted malt beverage they serve in pubs all over Ireland. So thick it's almost chewy, with a head like nougat -- good bar-maids draw a four-leaf clover in the head with a dribble from the tap, and that clover stays there all the way to the bottom of the glass!

Chocolate, espresso, dates, all on a toasted biscuity dryness that finishes long and bitter. Sooo smooth and silky-creamy.

It's almost worth the trip to Ireland to discover why the Irish are crazy about this brew. I don't think I'll ever be able to drink again the imitation Guinness we get in cans and bottles here in the states.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.