Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,700 | Reviews: 2,227
1.42/5  rDev -59.8%

Well, a fancy nitro-can of Guinness. Never got around to buying this stuff mainly because it's so dammed expensive, and there's always something else I'm in the mood for. I got this can for free.

Appearance - Wow. This beer looks cool. Nice cascading, rippling effect of the beer settling. Looks good for a stout.

Smell - faint toasty aroma. Not much else.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Faint toasted malt - VERY faint. No hop character to speak of. This tastes incredibly watered down, and I'm very surprised. All I ever heard is how "rich and creamy" Guinness is. This is pathetic. I don't wan't to finish this. I'm pouring the rest out in my sink.

Stout water?

I noticed I haven't reviewed this beer on tap and I think that I really should considering the number of times I have had it on tap. This beer is so much better on tap, when it's not old, then out of the nitro can. I think the nitro masks all that this beer has to offer. Not really bitter but more of a chocolate, grainy flavor going along with some creaminess. I could drink this on tap all night long and when compared to Beamish or Murphy's, its in a league of its own.

4.07/5  rDev +15.3%

I looove the taste of guinness. Crazily enough it was the first beer that i ever liked. If you talk to most people they will say, guinness shouldn't even be under a beer category, it should be a food. they are certainly right. You drink guinness like you would eat a meal. Its hearty and quite bitter, which is why i didn't give it a better score for drinkability. You can't just down guinness after guinness, that would be a horrible waste!

for best results drink from tap at a genuine Irish bar. Doesn't get much better folks

3.31/5  rDev -6.2%

Consumed in October 2004 at the Prince of Wales Pub in San Mateo, CA. The barkeep took forever to pour this brew. The head kept growing bigger and bigger and would not subside. It took literally 5 minutes from the time they started pouring to the time I actually got the beer in my hands. Needless to say, it was a nice pour. Looks pretty damn black and creamy. Smells of dark malt. Not a whole lot of coffee scent, just dark, burnt roasted malt. Taste is just ho-hum to me. A little coffee flavor and admitedly goes down very smooth. Served at room temp which was also nice for this kind of beer. Have had this beer many times before and I am just getting around to rating it. A good beer, but not a great one in my opinion. A good stand by though. A pretty drinkable beer.

4.13/5  rDev +17%

I had this out of a 14.9 oz tall can and served in a pint glass.

Jet black in appearance with a fluffy, off white head that sustains its form on top. Classic rushing and cascading mini bubbles form the structure of this beer as it settles from the widget induced can pour.

Aroma of roasted and smoked malts.

Taste is creamy and very, very smooth. Creamy and buttery up front with a nice dry finish. The dry finish works with a roasted malt presence. Think coffee flavored shake at room temp. Roasted coffee like bitterness also makes it way on the palate.

The Guinness draught can is so damn drinkable and quaffable. Very low in carbonation and its creamy flavor make this an easy beer to slam in minimal time. Without question, we all know Guinness is so much better from the tap, but this is a nice alternative. This beer doesn't have the complexity of the Guinness Foreign Stout, but is still very enjoyable.

The only "negative" to this beer is the low ABV%. It's like trying to drink light beers and getting a nice buzz on...it's a difficult task. On the other hand, this makes the perfect session beer on tap at my local Irish pub.

3.31/5  rDev -6.2%

14.9 oz. can pours black with a huge viscous head, awesome lacing on the glass. Smokey, spicy smell; think bacon. Taste is a creamy, eggs over easy, with smoked spicy bacon and buttered dark bread toast. Finishes with a tasty coffee flavor on the palate.
A non-fat, low calorie instant breakfast !

3.18/5  rDev -9.9%

I've just written a review for the nitro bottle and here is the nitro can comparative review. I prefer the bottle, for various reasons, and the can has always been a disappointment to me. When I've wanted a nitro-can Irish stout, I've always found Beamish to be a superior choice (although I prefer Guinness on draft at a pub).

Having said that, I discover the beer pours with distinction, a rich, deep brown with a band of solid cream atop. Off a can pour, the top of the head is a bit ragged and jagged, not as smooth as a perfectly poured pint. The aroma is muted but some traditional Guinness elements are in evidence. The flavor itself is similary obscured, perhaps by the nitro can technology, or it could be an older sample. Still, some roasty and creamy Guinness flavors pull through. On the whole, the beer is a bit grassier, perhaps, without as much of the complicated and subtle hop flavors -- more of a prickly bite. The finish is similarly misaligned, and a lingering sourness is out of place. The mouthfeel is not as seductive. Not as high scores as I gave the nitro bottle; actually, I was surprised by how badly the can fared in direct comparison.

I suppose I should complete this trilogy, and go to a bar to review a pint from the keg, but I seriously doubt that will happen anytime soon.

3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance: I was instructed to drink it from the bottle, but it looked very dark with a good head.
Smell: Good and crisp.
Taste: Light roasted stout flavors. Decent bitterness. Lighter than other stouts but still good.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and easy.
Drinkability: A great session beer.

4.08/5  rDev +15.6%

Okay the first time I had this beer I wasn't super impressed but I was impressed enough to buy it again. Now I really have acquired a taste for this stuff.

I have had guinness draught in bottles, cans, and on tap. If you can get it on tap it is of course the best but the cans aren't bad.

I love the way this beer looks after it has been poured correctly. It pours very dark almost black. The nitro cascades down as a rich creamy milky head forms about a fingers width.

The smell is unique to this beer. It smells slightly sour with husky grains and coffee.

The taste is similar, tastes sour on the palate but as it warms in the mouth you can taste more of the goodness that is Guinness. It has husky grains taste with coffee, and and another taste that reminds me of cranberries. Mouthfell is slightly thinner than expected but I don't really know why people can't drink more than 2 at a setting. I do think this beer is an acquired taste for most people. This is truly a unique beer in most ways.

3.27/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I have to admit, that I didn't follow the instructions and drink from the bottle. I still poured it out, hence the appearance marks are still up.

This bottled version has almost no aroma. Slight roastedness.

Taste...just wasn't the same as on tap. Seemed a little more watery. Still that classic guinness taste, but just a lot less. Lacked the smooth and creaminess too. This beer is just not meant to be had in a bottle.

1.93/5  rDev -45.3%

Despite the fact that the plastic label beseeches me to 'drink straight from the bottle' and to 'serve extra cold', I will do neither. This will be at my beer fridge temperature of 50 degrees and will be poured into a nonick pint glass. I don't take orders from beer bottles. I'm also chagrined to discover that it checks in at less than 10 carbs (9.9 to be exact). That is what is commonly known as a red flag.

I get the usual nitro cascade effect on the pour, though it seems to be less impressive than what I see from the average nitro can. When the show is over--no more than 15 seconds--I'm left with an opaque, dark brown liquid crowned by a slim finger of heavily creamy, grayish brown foam. The nose is meek and is of roasted malt, chocolate and coffee in roughly equal proportions. Not bad, not great.

Guinness Draught tastes like watered-down Guinness Extra Stout. I mean that literally. It seems less like a weak stout (that was brewed as such) and more like water was added before bottling. What flavor I can discern is of lightly roasted dark malt and weak iced coffee with very little chocolatiness at all. The finish is nonexistent because there's very little flavor to begin with. The body/mouthfeel is, again, watery in the extreme.

Guinness Draught is one of the wimpiest stouts that I've ever had. It challenges my taste buds about as much as kindergarten final exams would challenge my intellect. It may have been a slightly better experience if I had sampled it straight from the bottle, but any beer that has to rely on a gimmick such as that gets no respect from me. This is a beer that doesn't deserve to be taken seriously. Next.

4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

I have had the chance to drink Guinness on tap in Ireland and let me tell you it is better than the Guinness you find on tap here in the states. It is also much better than the rocket bottle and the can. In Ireland it is a science on how the perfect Guinness pint is poured. When done correctly you are left with a creamy half inch or so thick head that is just as enjoyable to drink as the rest of the beer. It goes down smoothly consisting of rich coffee and chocolate flavors. I highly recommend this beer.

3.31/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance - beer poured a nice dark brown as one would expect from a stout but the head was thin, closer to white than tan and disappeared rather quickly leaving no lacing.

Smell - pretty weak. There are the expected stout notes of roasted grain but not terribly strong.

Taste - good enough. It has the nice bitter notes of browned malt along with a smooth creamy note. Much less strong than most stouts, this is the type of thing you'd give a neophyte to avoid scaring them off the style.

Mouthfeel - surprisingly disappointing. This brew has all the body of Miller Lite. The cognitive dissonance between the look of the glass (dark, rich stout) and the feel of what was in your mouth (soft, fuzzy water) was disturbing.

Drinkability - If you're looking for a stout, search elsewhere (Guinness Original perhaps?). If you're looking for a light, airy stout-esque kiddy drink, this may be for you. While I could pack away quite a few of these without filling up, I could say the same for Perrier and that wouldn't make it a good brew. I guess if I'm having a very light meal and don't want the beer interfering with my palate this may be appropriate but I'm not really looking for a good stout to go along with my salad.

Frankly, I'm disappointed with this brew and I'm not looking forward to finishing off the rest of the four-pack. Stouts and porters are my favorite style and I've been a fan of Guinness Original for a number of decades. To me this doesn't come close to the experience of Guinness on tap - with one exception - it is much more creamy than the bottled Guinness Original. I'd only recommend this to someone who was interested in trying a stout for the first time but was normally a Bud Lite drinker with lite taste buds...

---===---

On reconsideration after having a few more of these, I've got to recant much of what was said here. While it was surprising to find a lighter bodied stout than expected, there have been quite a few times when I've been looking forward to and even craving that can of nitro-fuzzy goodness in the fridge. It's still light bodied, but it is smoooth and when that's what you're looking for, the Nitro-Guinness delivers!

4.26/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Guinness Bottles... nothing special. Guinness 20oz "Imperial" Pint from a Nitro tap... effing amazing. Rich, creamy, smooth... reminds me of a coffee milkshake. Not bitter in the least. The appearance is just sublime, dark black in a guinness pint glass, bubbles floating down, thick tan head, condensation on the outside of the glass... almost a kodak moment. Man I love stouts.

3.06/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cascading pour, ending in pitch black (supposedly red) body with strkly contrasting white foam.
The aroma is really faint, disappointing. Faint roasted smell.
Tastes pretty light, considering the style. Not offensive, just smooth coffee flavor and slight bitter chocolate presence.
Smooth, creamy mouthfeel, very drinkable.
As a stout, this is not very monumental, but the availability and superiority to other macro crap gives this extra points.

4.05/5  rDev +14.7%

I know many people wont go for the nitro-can idea but if you have to pick up your beer in a rush at the local convenience store or grocery ...this is the deal. Its heads and heels better than anything with Budweiser,Coors,Miller, etc on the label, and it may not be as good as true Guinness on tap but it will sure do in a pinch. Hell I love the stuff !

4.33/5  rDev +22.7%

Ah, Guinness. The stuff of legends. Pours out to a very dark brown, forming a large creamy meringue head of light tan soapy bubbles (aka milk microfroth for the espresso crowd), with the nitro cascade effect that makes this brew look so cool. Retention and lacing are awesome. Carbonation is mild. Aroma is trademark...a little bit of almonds, a touch of diacetyl, mild dark roasted malts, vanilla, and a touch of sour milk. Mouthfeel is very mild and smooth as liquid velvet with a lightly dry finish and medium-light body. Taste begins with a touch of Irish yeast and diacetyl, followed by a brief sourness and a light acidity, dark roasted malts with no substantial malt sweetness, black patent and roasted barley astringency, and ending with a very mild non-descript bitterness. Cleanly fermented, alcohol is imperceptable. Easy to drink owing to the nitro and low alcohol.

A classic who's legacy can't be refuted. The bread and butter of the beer world. Not amazing, but approachable in every aspect. A solid all around beer.

3.56/5  rDev +0.8%

guinness pours a pitch black with a one finger head that retains well through my consumtion. liked the cascading effect that continues for about 45 seconds after first poured. smell is rather faint burnt barley and coffee. taste is just as good as i had remembered. coffee like flavor with a hint of chocolate, slightly dry. mouth feel felt rather thin in comparison to what i had remembered. easily drinkable. a fine stout when no other is availible. prefer murphy's by a hair but, would rather have a good, thick domestic stout.

1.77/5  rDev -49.9%

This is the worst Guinness on the market, and sets a bad example of what Guinness truly is. For one, Guinness is not even worth drinking if it's consumed from the bottle (as this product is intended). This bottled version of the draught style is absolutely horrid - there is no body to this beer to speak of, with almost no carbonation. Imagine drinking cold coffee with a hint of alcohol, and you have Guinness Draught in a bottle. Gross.

If you are looking for a good, bottled Guinness, stick either to the draught cans (which are only slightly better anyway) or Guinness Extra Stout.

But really, nothing compares to the tap draught.

4.56/5  rDev +29.2%

One of my oldest session beers, been with me so long that I just never even thought to review it! Always have just loved it from the first taste! -sucha good irish girl (said with the trademark evil giggle!)

As always, it pours out pitch black and chocolately with a creamy off-white head. After watching the storm show in the glass subside, I inhale the coffee and chocolate scents. Intensely smooth with just an eensy bit of carbination that taps you on the tongue. Always so drinkable any time of the year, hell, any time of the day!

3.71/5  rDev +5.1%

always wondered if this was any good. friend conned me into trying it. Never tasted a beer quite like it, nice flavor. not too bitter. i dont know exactly what the thing inside is but it makes it unique. pretty descent brew overall. I'll have to try it on real tap one day. but until then it's not bad out of the bottle.

3.71/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Pours as dark as night, with a milk chocolate head.

Aroma: Very roasted malt aroma. Boarders on toasted to burnt malt.

Taste: Creamy, yet very light on the palate. No trace of hops here until the very end. But that is even very quick, and could have been mistaken for the bitterness left from the malt due to its roasting. Ver nice dessert beer, when in need of something light.

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours as dark as normal Guiness with that patented dark glow and tan creamy head, complete with obligatory Clover in the head.
Aroma is also Guiness but the temperature its poured is so cold that it seems to restrain some of the nuttier aspects of the roasted flavors.
Flavor is Ok, but whatver they have done seems to have really muted that classic Guinness sharpness. The fact that is ws poured in less than a minute should have tipped me off that was not going to be a good experience.
Mouthfeel is OK but again it just lost some of the edge that I think a good Guiness should have. I enjoy it cold in Ireland but this is just too cold. Its kind of like the cold-filtered crap that Miller does. It just drains the flavor, makes it smooth and easy to drink but it just ruins a great beer with this one.
Drinkability was slightly above average.

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

Well Guinness is a well liked stout all over the world and it obviously rules bars during St. Patrick's day. I was lucky enough to travel over to Ireland last summer and take a tour of this great brewery. Much history goes into this brew. Smooth taste with a great head that coats the glass with a tasty film. Guinness is very enjoyable and is usually used by many people to compair other stouts. It has a great color black almost dark ruby if held to a light. It really is good to drink and it can fill you up. It does have a rather low ABV which many people don't care but I like stouts with a little more to them. In conclusion the brewery is great and the beer is decent. Drinking it on the top floor of the observation deck in the brewery over looking Dublin is a great experience.

3.38/5  rDev -4.2%

Dark brown purple color. The head is perfectly creamy and dense; it lasts forever. It was great to see how the fine white bubbles came from the lower part of the glass to form the head.The smell shows dark malts, a nice roasted coffee aroma, coffee beans, and almost some smoke. The taste is of coffee and chocolate, with some roasted notes and hints of smoke; a deep chocolate like bitterness. The mouthfeel is terrible. Weak, watery. You can't even get the creamy head, it remains in the glass. The mouthfeel makes me not wanna drink this beer again.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.