Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd. visit their website

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,121 | Hads: 6,949
3.4/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

It's been nearly 9 years since I fell in love with a fresh pint of Guinness, at a Dublin pub near St James Gate. I savored many a pint of this "brown liquid food" in Ireland, and it made me a believer. Here, I have an 11.2 oz bottle with a widget inside, and the label recommends drinking it straight from the bottle. I refuse such heresy, and pour into a pint glass. Looks right--opaque deep brown with a frothy tan head. Decent nose of heavy malt, smoke, and burnt coffee. Mouthfeel is creamy, but seems watered down. Taste is of pipe tobacco, two day old coffee, and some stale bread. Enormous lacing on the glass.

This bears scant resemblance to the heavy duty fresh pints I savored in Dublin, Cork, and Galway, but is yet a respectable pint, to my amazement. This expensive looking bottle with widget inside,offers a decent effort to duplicate an authenic, fresh, draft Guinness. Sorry, it just can't be done with widgets.

Impression--Mediocre out of a "widget" bottle. The real deal is quite impressive, as I recall. Most Irish folks told me that you would be unlikely to find a decent pint outside of the Republic. They be correct.

3.72/5  rDev +7.8%

This is probably my favorite beer and has been since I can remember. I don't remember ever NOT liking Guinness. I am going to forgo my usual review format because everyone knows what this beer tastes and smells like.

I consider this to be the most beautiful beer once poured. The deep black color, the high-density head, the wonderful cascade effect. It doesn't get any better that that.

As far as drinkability, I can put down pints of this stuff all night long. What a classic.

Wow, that was less than a year ago? While I still agree that this beer is beautiful in the glass, and that it can be sucked down all night with little effort, I don't think that it is quite the ambrosia that I did at one time. I've knocked the numbers down accordingly.

Smell: Not bad, but very mild for a stout.

Mouthfeel: Very, very, oh so very thin for a stout. It's very smooth, I must say, but there just needs to be a butt-load more body.

Taste: While the taste is very pleasant, it is mild beyond belief. Still a little roasty, just a bit a toasty, but overall flat.

I still drink this beer when I go out. (Remember, this is Wichita and my choices are severely limited.) But I rarely, if ever, buy it to bring home anymore.

3.85/5  rDev +11.6%

Since i've lost most of my good pub glasses bringing them over to friend's houses and leaving them there, I wasn't about to make that mistake last night. So I took the opportunity to try the only incarnation of Guinness that I haven't had and picked up a sixer on sale for $6.99

When I got back to the house, I was dismayed to find that these sleekly-designed bottles aren't even 12 ounces, but are in fact 11.2 ounces. Guinness always has a way to get your pocketbook, be it the pub cans that will never give you a buzz, or just their generally overpriced products. They got me yet again.

After drinking the first beer from the bottle, I decided that route of delivery was pretty lame so I switched back to the glass. Pouring the beer into a glass is a bit awkward, but it still kicks up that nice Guinness froth. The smell is actually a bit better than the pub-can version.

The taste is still what i'm used to, with a bit more character. I think some of the watery-ness is decreased by a fuller mouthfeel.

All in all, a huge gimmick that might result in slightly better beer. I would have to do a head to head taste test to establish for sure.

Another way for the Guinness corporation to diversify its interests.

3.06/5  rDev -11.3%

without doubt the most well known and acessable stout going around, guinness is a great start for anyone wanting to move up from crappy macro lagers into the realm of darker beers. on the whole tho, if youve tried the foreign export, youll know the tap draught is the equivalent of any boring lager as far as dark beers go.

one thing that has to be pumped up as far as this beer goes, theyve set the standard for a great looking beer. is there a greater sight in beer drinking history that a freshly poured guinness? rich dark color with that flowing head that builds up the glass in waves. its bordering on arousing. thick and creamy head that has more staying power than an irish thoroughbred,. burnt coffee nose, that presents itself in the taste. some chocolate present with quite meaty flavors, and a robust hoppy finish. a meal in itself, ive never managed to have a big session on the guinness no matter how hard ive tried, even thought thet AV isnt high.

a classic even tho its not an especially great beer. guinness is the stepping stone for anyone looking to get past the usual dirge of boring lagers etc that pervade the market. pretty 'sexy' too as far as appearances go. if only every beer poured like this one.

2.08/5  rDev -39.7%

The appearance of this stout is by far the most impressive thing about it. Pours a charcoal black with a frothy tan head that lasts the entire pint, leaving a solid wall of lace. Carbonation somehow travels south as things settle.

Mouthful was entirely disappointing. Thin thin thin with almost no carbonation at all. Aroma was sorely lacking as well, with just hints of some cocoa and a strange fruitiness. Taste/texture was very creamy, but not in a good way. more of a non-dairy-creamer thing going on.

Unique in the sense that it's the best looking poor tasting beer I've had.

3.61/5  rDev +4.6%

Off a nitro-tap, this brew gives you the time to pay some attention to its appearance - a glossy black with ruby edging, a creamy one-finger tan head and a modest amount of lace.
The smell is somewhat subdued, of coffee and some cocoa. The taste has a pleasant roasted maltiness with some last-cup old coffee flavor and a light taste of bittersweet chocolate. It finished with a mildly sour taste. The weakest link for Guinness Draught had to be its feel: thin and a bit on the watery side.
On the whole, Guinness is a decent stout that is quite easy to drink. Still a good standby, I can think of a number of other stouts I'd rather drink, given the choice.

3.08/5  rDev -10.7%

Had to slum it last night while out with some friends. This was the best I could do. I had to ask the barkeep for a glass, and finally received one. Poured out a dark brown with minimal head. Decent lacing at least. Smelled weak. Very weak. Like maybe there was a roasted coffeesque flavor in there, but where? Didn't have much to the taste at all. A decent roasted flavor was in there, but it was really watered down. Decent flavor, just not a whole lot of it. I would say the gem of this beer though, was the mouthfeel. Very smooth and creamy. Very smooth. With a low ABV, it's also quite drinkable, and I'll take it over a Bud any day of the week. At least I'm not waking up this morning too sick. What little there is I blame on Tecate.

3.13/5  rDev -9.3%

Nitro draft bottle does a good job of impersonating the real thing. But the head settles on this much too fast. The taste of this bier is solely dependant on wether it comes from tap or can or bottle.

Good chocolate and nutty flavor yet somehow not something I am want to have a lot of. The smell is a little weak Creamy heavy head and a smooth mouthfeel. Not as thick a flavor as I am used to with this bier.

I've had this many times over the years in true draught form both here and in the U.K. In my opinion, these canned/bottled version are muck.

3.06/5  rDev -11.3%

From the 11.2 oz nitro bottle.

Pours jet black with a creamy tan head (with the classic nitro can/bottle settle) Smells creamy and lightly bitter of dark roasted malt.

Taste is bitter but smooth and creamy. Also watery and weak. Taste teases but refuses to satisfy. mouthfeel is also watery yet creamy with a light bitter malt aftertaste. Drinkable for sure but this is a different beer in the bottle vs. draft. Very good on draft, pretty mediocre in the can/bottle. The only good reason to have some around the house is for homemade black and tans, half and halfs and the like.

4.18/5  rDev +21.2%

Still an exceptional stout. Mine was a can brought back from Ireland, so it was not the export from Toronto. Beautiful silky black appearance topped with a creamy beige head. Coffee and chocolate lightly flow over the tounge with a nice dry slightly bitter finish. Goes down smooth like a glass of chocolate milk made from fine milk chocolate

3.66/5  rDev +6.1%

This isn't so much a review of Guinness than a commentary on the importance of where you get it and how it is poured. I remember a time when there was a real mystique to this entry level stout. Everyone said it was great, I couldn't wait to taste it, I had bought into the advertising hype. Then I had that first pint poured, watched the cascade, etc. etc. I woke up (disappointed) after the first sip. It really didn't taste all that good, in fact, I had had much better beers before.

I did not, however, let this dissuade me from trying it again. I tried the can, OK: the bottle: not so good, even the trendy rocket widget bottle after it came out: OK again. I wanted so much to like this beer, and though it was drinkable, it was never what I had hoped for. That is until I walked into a little Irish Pub/dive bar in Milbrae CA (beer mail me for the name). They had Guinness on tap, and being in an Irish Pub of sorts, I had to try it. At first I was wondering what took so long, there was nobody else in the bar, we could see it being poured, but it still took at least five minutes. When it finally came, I tasted Guinness as it is meant to be had. Still not stellar, but vastly different than any other pint of this brew I had had up until that point. It so happens the Bartender/Owner is actually from Creaslow (sp?) Ireland, and really knows his Guinness. He said the first thing he did when he bought the place was to re-work the tap so that it poured "right." He also said that he had had pints of Guinness in the states that would put anyone off the stuff for life. I could definitely relate there.

What is my point? Guinness is not the greatest beer (obviously), but in the right place, and when poured correctly it can still be a great part of the beer drinking experience. I still visit that little dive whenever I can just so I can re-visit what I have come to love about the beer and the experience it brings. Since then though, I have yet to have another pint of Guinness quite as good as from that place. If you want Guinness, make sure it is poured correctly, and let the atmosphere be part of the beer. You might even buy into the hype, even if it is for just one pint.

3.59/5  rDev +4.1%

True story...I have a friend at work who is a dedicated malternative drinker....he likes the Smirnoff Ice and all that hokum....swears that he doesn't like beer much....except for Guinness Draught. It's the one and only beer that he will drink. What kind of point am I trying to make? Hell, I don't know...it's just a story...don't read TOO much into it.

To my palate, Guiness Draught is sort of like an entry-level stout. It looks impressive, but it doesn't have much in the way of a real bite. It comes in these nifty nitro-widget cans and bottles. If you pour it, it will disply the characteristic Guinness head: large, fluffy, and long-lasting. You can also drink this one straight from the can or bottle. Looks absolutely wonderful. No nose at all...what's there is faintly sweet and malty. Brewed by Guinness in Canada and imported to the US market.

Tastes sort of weak and watery compared to it's more robust cousins. It's a low ABV beer, so it's easy to drink and enjoy. It has some malt character, but it's not at all pronounced. Coffee-flavors abound, even a few light cream sensations come through. Mouthfeel is strictly average. Extremely drinkable, though. It's easy to keep pouring this beer. It's good when paired up with lighter beef and potato meals.

Look, it's a fun beer. It's just not a monster beer by any means. I can sort of see why my buddy drinks it. The Draught is light on the palate, absolutely no bitterness can be found anywhere, and it comes in this sexy, cutesy-widget bottle. All of the elements are there for success. If you're new to stouts or want to get off of the lager/pilsner bandwagon, this is the beer for you.

3.78/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance – Black with the cascading foam that makes this stout famous. I had this on-top and it was filled to the top, so I didn’t get a chance to gauge the head.

Smell – The aroma is not strong, but I can pick up dark malts and chocolate and maybe even a hop balance. There’s also some light molasses sweetness to this one.

Taste – This is much drier than it smells. It has a nice sweetness with a touch of caramel malt.

Mouthfeel – I thought this was the stout’s strong point. This one is super smooth from start to finish.

Drinkability – A session stout if there ever was one. Not the hardiest one you’ll ever put down, but good nevertheless with an above-average mouthfeel.

3.65/5  rDev +5.8%

Bought a 6 pack of Guinness with the widget bottle. Many people may scrutinize this review because they feel Guinness is the best stout or "Come on, It's Guinness." I hate these smaller bottles.

The bottle poured an extra dark brown with a creamy tan head. Looks appetizing as far as stouts go. I have had it many times before so I wasn't looking too forward to it like when trying a new beer.

Tasted like burnt coffee heh. Your average stout taste. Kinda bland when compared to other stouts. Not a very strong brew but very good otherwise. Would rather have an Extra Stout. I enjoy Sammy Smith brews more.

2.72/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm told by those in the know that something happens to Guinness products when they're bottled and imported into the US of A.

From what I could taste, after my session with the "Draught" the above rumor has merit.

For this review I opened a nito widget packed bottle.

The nitro widget does what it's supposed to-- the beer poured with a wonderful creamy but light, tan tinged head.

The head endured throughout my tasting session, with some lacing but generally more of a coating-- like olive oil might coat the walls of a salad bowl.

The beer itself was black as widower's weeds.

So far in keeping with what I expected.

Perhaps I do not comprehend what the essence of "Draught" is.
But in my opinion this beer is a light weight in all respects.

The nose is a nondescript wilted bouquet of hops with a hair of toated malt thrown in for good measure-- but I'm straining-- no distractions please.

The flavor is a watery non-entity- a touch of ale like character, a pinch of roasted malt and that's about it.

The finish was short 'n' clean..

Overall the flavor came in with a wimper and went out with a wimper.

The mouthfeel was quite cordial with a "heavier" body.

Given the gallons of Guinness I've consumed throughout the years, this beer is a disappointment-- even for an imported and bottled product (see my opening statement)...

I'll leave my review open for revision after I try some more of this beer....

3.97/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

As I am referring to the nitro-can, and not to the bottle or to the draught offering, I am going to review Guinness Draught conservatively, and leave myself room for future amendments.

I liked it of course (to say otherwise would be disingenuous) but I regard it the same way I regard Glenfiddich, in the realm of single malt scotch whisky - as a stepping stone to better things.

You gotta love the wild cascading effect that comes with the pour. The body was black, of course, and the head was the normal off-white, but the lacing was different from bottled Guinness or the Guinness draughted from the tap. I was looking forward to counting the rings but there weren't any (and yes, I am using the proper glassware and using the standard pour method) even though the head retained its robustness throughout the time it took to finish the drink.

I thought that by effect on the palate, by the standards put forth by Guinness Draught afficionados, was a bit thin. The taste of roasted malts, however, is always appreciated. Is Guinness a mass-marketed cliche? Perhaps. But it does go down damned easily.

A can 330ml nitro-can costs 5200 won ($4.50 US) in Korean supermarkets and somewhere in the 10,000 won ($11 US) range in pubs or restaurants. Can you believe that? And to think Koreans often call themselves the 'Irish of Asia'.

3.62/5  rDev +4.9%

Ahh Guinness, for better or for worse, THE standard in Stouts. I still think its a great looking pint, the light head on the dark brew, the lightness eminating from the dark as you set it down after taking a sip. Simply one of the best heads ever, which lends a beautiful look to the whole thing. Taste is good, very presentable to someone not familiar with Stouts or a soul that's intimidated by dark brews, but not something that would make one more familiar with various dark beers throw down thier pants and say Hallelujah. Some say its too filling or heavy, but don't beleive what you're told in that regard, I can certainly drink ten pints of this without feeling more full than I would after 160 oz. of any other good beer. The bottom line: its Guinness; everyone should drink bunches of it at some point, but its far from the end all of Stouts.

3.15/5  rDev -8.7%

Guinness in a bottle is like cheese cake in a squeeze tube, its still good, but just make you want the real thing. No aroma. For as cold as it is, it actually still has a lot of flavor. The design of the bottle is nice, so I guess it gets some appearance points for that. Tastes like Guinness, I guess. Ok in a pinch, but don’t give up the nitro tap.

3.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pous out of the rocket widget bottle with a vengance. A lovely dark, dark brown head, that lovely smell that is Guiness. It really is an old friend. Strange to review it really 'cause I'be been drinking it for 30 years. Still sometimes the review is simply a way of expressing oneself. From the bitter to the coffee; with that creamy smooth feel in the mouth. Why can some macros do it and others can't? I have often said aftertaste is my big thing. Well, Guinness has good aftertaste.

Guinness draught is one of the reliable ones when it comes to beer. In those airport bars, chain hotels, etc. you can always be sure with this brew. There may be better beers out there but never forget your old friend or you'll grow old alone.

3.8/5  rDev +10.1%

I, like the previous reviewer, thought this was the primo beer in the world. It was all I ordered at pubs and resturants, I bought the t-shirts and caps, and thought myself really sophisticated compared to my friends, who couldn't understand why I would want to pay four dollars for a pint, when I could get three Bud's for the same price. Then I started checking out books and this site, which informed me that Guinness was'nt even in the top 10.I now I still love Guinness, but I'm looking to try others first.
Still the most beautiful working beer in existence, still has the wonderful creamy nitro mouthfeel, still has the most distinct first sip roasted malt taste,and a superior lace, but now I find its aroma sadly lacking and I notice that the wonderful malt taste seems to fade rapidly

4.01/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours from the Genie bottle with the "patented" rich and ultra creamy Guinness head, all tanned and wonderful looking. The cascading head slowly changes to a near black liquid in the glass, with just a hint of redness when held directly in front of a light. The nose is a mix of burnt torrified barley, very light smoke, very light espresso and some bitter chocolate. Taste is smooth and very creamy due to the nitro bottles, with notes of highly roasted malts, chocolate, fleeting fruitiness, a wisp of smokiness, and non-denominational bitterness...probably more from the roasted barley than the hoppiness, which seems to be minimal here. Finishes up s - m - o - o - t - h and quite dry. End thought: a super drinkable Stout, goes down easy and is quite the tasty quaff!

3.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Let's face it - it's better than most canned beers, but it's not like proper draught Guinness in a pub.

It varies depending on where it's brewed. Predictably the Irish version is the best. It's a good fallback at parties in the UK, especially when your in-laws are Irish. However, I can't take more than 3 cans of this in a day.

2.18/5  rDev -36.8%

I do not understand you people who gave this beer a 5. A "stout" to be had out of the bottle. When pured into a glass, the color is fairly dark, but clear. When held up to the light you can see through its character. The smell is non-existent. Little hops, but thats it. The taste, well, was great during my beer chugging days. Very watery, very plain. Made to be drunk quickly, if at all. Not all too much to say about this beer. I may continue to entertain it on special occasions when others are having it, but not with pleasure.

2.36/5  rDev -31.6%

Served on nitro-tap in a Guinness glass.

Appearance Umm.. I think we all know what Guinness served on tap looks like. If you don't you need to get out more. Essentially, inky black with a healthy sized thick and creamy tan head. Guinness is a thing of beauty to look at.

Smell: Umm.. I smelled bar here. The smell of Guinness is pretty much non-existent. You might catch whiffs of smokiness and roasted malts here and there, but then I'd wonder what crack you wuz smokin'

Taste: Massively subdued roasted malt flavor. No real hop presence.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, yet watery at the same time. A conundrum in a glass.

Drinkability: I can drink this easily, and with no shame. But, outside of certain circumstances.. why really bother?

Other: Guinness is the elevator muzac of good beer. Let others trash it all they want, it's not really _that_ bad. It's just not exactly that good either. Still, it's a consistent product (I mean shit, the brewery practically invented quality control as a concept) and it's available at some pretty nice places. I can down a few, look like a manly kinda guy, and not wake up hung over in the morn. What's not to like?

3.13/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance: Jet black, with a good half inch foamy head.

Aroma: Coffee and chocolate tones. Has almost a creamy nose.

Taste: Roasted malt and lots of coffee. Nice, smooth finish.

Mouthfeel: Quite creamy. Rich, yet not thick. Very nice balance for a stout.

Drinkability: A perrenial favorite that is the benchmark for most stouts worldwide.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.