Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,174 | Ratings: 7,250
3.55/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had this from the bottle, as the label instructed me to. I peeled the label off, so I have some idea what it looked like. A nice head rested on top throughout the bottle, and even managed to leave some lace on the inside of the bottle.

The taste is somewhat dark but more dry and creamy than anything else. It's got a hint of sour on top of its mild bitterness.

More than anything else, it's uniquely Guinness. It's not as special as some have made it out to be, but it's definitely still a good beer.

3.48/5  rDev +0.9%

Served in one of the nitro "rocket-widget" bottles.

Appearance - I poured this out into a glass, despite the instructions on the bottle to not pour it out. Pours initially tan with that "snowfall" effect while it settles. A head that reminds me of chocolate milk, and it stays on top a good while. Mostly dark brown body with an amber/ruby tinge when held to the light.

Smell - A roasty, coffee-like smell with possibly a hop hint left in there. No chocolaty smells in there, which is surprising. Smells kinda thin for a stout.

Taste - Bitter with emphasis on the coffee flavors. A wee bit of a nut flavor comes through, but nothing to write home about. Again, the flavor is kind of thin for a stout. Not bad, but not great.

Mouthfeel - Very unassuming on the tongue. Slips by without any real imposition. Almost watery/light.

Drinkability - Yeah, it is drinkable, but if you are looking for a true stout, this won't get you too revved up.

Overall - This is a let-down for a stout. If you are looking for a true, full-bodied stout/beer, pass this by and go for a non-macro version. This is a very so-so brew.

4.26/5  rDev +23.5%

Stout is my favorite style of beer, this said I wonder why it took me so long to drink this. Guinness Draught pours a dark coffee black with a creamy, frothy tan head that did not subside through drinking, the head alone will leave you breathless. The lacing on the glass is incredible, you literally can't see the glass because it is covered by frothy lacing. The smell is of roasted malts with hints of mocha. The taste is very suprising, as I didn't like the Extra Stout offering from Guinness, this version is incredible, dark mocha flavors and caramel tones will bounce off the tongue, suprisingly refreshing. Feels very full and dry in the mouth. A very drinkable stout, probably the most drinkable for me, not to rich, nor to light, but my god the head.

3.49/5  rDev +1.2%

Picked up a four pack of nitro-cans from my local Bi-Lo. I figured it’s about time I try a nitro-can of something.

I really enjoyed the pour on this one. I can hear the can gurgling and groaning as I open it. The experience was pretty authentic as far as I can tell (sans tap), cascading bubbles and all. Its very pretty to look at, a deep, opaque, chocolately brown. The bubbles cascading down in sheets, give it a very textured, attractive look. Ultrafine, creamy as steamed milk head coalesces at the top a nice finger and a half and hangs around rather well. Creamy lace clings to the glass in gobs.

The smell is light, and mildly roasty and chocolately. Malts smell nice and hops are almost imperceptible to my nose.

As the head touches my nose on the first sip I’m reminded of a chocolate milk-shake. Taste is light and changes very little from the front of my tongue to the back. Sweet, roasty malts slide across my tongue and an extremely faint bitter aftertaste is left behind. It’s hard to put together the words Creamy, and Watery, when it comes to mouthfeel but that’s the best way I can think to describe this. Goes down very easily.

Well, this is too watery for me to think that strongly of it as a Stout, but it’s a refreshing drink and the nitro-can adds something to the experience. I’m sure I’ll be drinking this again as it’s the dankest option in many bars/restaurants.

3.14/5  rDev -9%

I remember tasting Guinness way back and thinking hey this isn't bad. So I ordered it again, at PB Bar and Grill, after I finished my Kona Pale Ale.

The beer is beautiful. Nice and black. Nice creamy head. No hop aroma. Taste is surprisingly... absent? The nitro kills what flavor there might have been. I try to hallucinate some roasted grains or burnt grains, and I get a tiny whiff. There is a minimal hop bitterness. The worst part is that it is so darn thin. I was struck by the fact that it tasted like water after the moderate bodied pale ale I had just before. It made for a great teaching point for my newbie friends, though. They were so surprised at how thin and light the Guinness was. "Guinness is like a meal" my ass. Anyways, this beer isn't wholly bad, just don't drink it after you've had a beer with any body at all.

3.93/5  rDev +13.9%

on tap at Ralph's Diner in Worcestor

6/12/04 - Served at cellar temp and it helps so much! Now it has a faint, sweet scent. The beer tastes dark and malty, feels creamy, and goes down perfectly smooth.

on tap on Tommy Doyle's

3/19/04 - Such a familiar sight, the black beer, the tan head. And yet this is the first time I've paid close attention to it.

No aroma. Very little carbonation. A nice, creamy texture. But as I drink I note sour hops, a slightly burnt, yet syrupy malt. Bit of metal in the finish, along with the syrup of malt. It never hit me before how sweet this is.

3.72/5  rDev +7.8%

Guinness Draught may not be the best stout in the world, hell it isn't even the best stout produced by Guinness, but what the beer lacks in complexity made up for in style. There are many nitro beers available but Guinness is the most famous. The cascading bubbles are beautiful and the head retention is and consistency is second to none. Pair this with a dark ruby colour and Guinness may be the nicest beer to look at.

Guinness is also a very smooth beer. The mouth feel is creamy but with a low specific gravity and caloric value, this beer also feels light on the stomach. It is certainly easy to drink and makes a good session beer. The taste, although much better than a typical macro is a little on the watery side when compared to other stouts. Still, this beer is available just about everywhere and is allowing beer drinkers to get a consistently good, albiet not great product at most drinking holes.

4.31/5  rDev +24.9%

The pour from the nitro can is an enjoyable ritual. The pop-hiss when opening, a hard pour, watching the contents exit the can in different colors. The bubbling brown body of the pour eventually cascading into the familar "Black". Topped by a finger plus of firm, table top smooth light tan cream.

A deep roasty nose rises up, wth notes of coffee. Not as soulful as I would like, but so familar.

The roasty malt slides across the tongue, with notes of coffee and chocolate. A mild sheath of hops along for the ride. The nitro coats it all though, and buries the extremes. There are no edges to be found.

Mouthfeel is of course creamy. This is the milk shake of beer.

Drinkability is extreme. This is one of the world's oldest and truest session beers.

This is a hard beer to look at objectively. I'm an Irish-American. This was the first beer I ever had wasn't a "fizzy yellow American Lager". At least in the can, it may have lost something. Is it thinner? Too smooth? Not roasty enough? Or is it just my increased experience? Still, this is the best "macro" I know. And I'm still a fan.
Happy St. Patrick's Day.

4.42/5  rDev +28.1%

Guinness. Some people just love Guinness, like myself. Others cringe at its very mention. But that's the thing about Guinness. There seems to be no middle ground. People love it, or think it's the most vile, disgusting thing in the world.
Guinness pours an extremely dark brown and depending on the lighting, can appear to be black. After you pour it, watch it through the sides of the glass. It looks like a waterfall. Not quite sure what causes this to happen, but it's quite interesting to watch.
The smell of Guinness is unlike any other. Charred. Roasted. Chocolate. Coffee. These are just a handful of words that come to mind when I smell a Guinness, and the taste, too, could accompany these words. The mouth feel is smooth as silk, as there seems to be a negligible amount of carbonation in Guinness. Also, to be as dark as it is, Guinness is very easy to drink. I typically don't buy Guinness because of the tremendous variety of other things I buy instead, but at least on St. Pat's, I gotta have some Guinness!

2.96/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

So, yes, it is the feast day of St. Patrick. Some of the recipes I used called for guiness, so, my girl friend went out and picked up a 12 pack. We used about 4 in cooking, and she took a couple home. The rest is for me to review. I must say, while reviews range from all ends of the spectrum concerning the quality and standards of this beer and it's company, damn, it is always cool to watch the pour. The cascade and the head, it is a truely unique thing to watch

So we have the unique pour, the thich creamy tan head, and, the drak rich color of the beer. Smells very "roasted", with hints of coffee. Now for the taste..it has a nice dry roasted taste, but it is satisfying. It is somewhat light in taste, smooth, somewhat sweet, but still rather light. No, this is by no means the best stout every had, or made. But to many, this was one of their stepping stones, and still holds true in the hearts, which is what really matter.

You can enjoy any other thing, any other time, but it is nice to go back some time

3.7/5  rDev +7.2%

I don't think I have any doubt that Guinness is a mighty-fine looking beer, with its meringue-like cream topping and black coffee body. I especially enjoy the pad of brown foam that follows the liquid as it is drained from the pint. Fine lacing. There's also something special about the heft of a Guinness.

The smell is lacking, plain wetness comes to mind--just a wet beer.

The taste of Guinness is also good, but not great. It's sweet, with roasted grains lightly present. Good hop dryness. That said, it's quite light and lacking flavor. I'd also like a little higher alcohol...

The mouthfeel is weak, but the sensation of one's lips hitting the rubber-like foam and then experiencing the cooler, smooth Guinness liquid slide makes it memorable. Drinkability is excellent, exceptional.

Guinness on St. Patty's Day, on-tap at Slainte.

4.36/5  rDev +26.4%

Enjoying a Guinness on St. Patty's Day, is there anything better?!?!

I love the sound the nitro can makes when opened. Pours black/brown with a tan head, but then the brown magically rushes to the bottom and the black rises until it's as dark as midnight. The head is dark tan and remains there throughout the course of the entire beer. You can smell the roasted malts and taste them even more! Incredibly smooth with a delicious aftertaste, but very filling. You gotta love this beer.

I've had this beer on tap, out of the can, and out of the bottle. Obviously the tap dominates, but the nitro-can is a close second. As for the bottle, don't waste your time...The can is where it's at!

**Edit** (3/17/06) - Two years since my initial review and I enjoy Guinness even more than i used to. As my palate becomes more trained towards different feels and flavors, I have found that I really enjoy Guinness Draught. The appearance and mouthfeel are superior, second to none...Truly a unique creation and highly enjoyable.

3.71/5  rDev +7.5%

It pours a dark, opaque brown that might just as well be black. The starkly contrasted whitish head swells strongly up to multiple fingers, then drops very slowly as the cascade usurps its energy. Lacing runs wild inside the glass.

The aroma is thinner than the appearance might suggest, with dark roasted malt coming off as top dog but certainly not strong. Bitter burnt chocolate notes swirl about a black coffee undercurrent, until a very indistinct hops quality mellows out the finish.

The flavor too is a bit less assertive than one might expect, with the same dark, roasted malt edge cutting in, but without much of a real edge. Dark chocolate bitterness wields a the big stick in the middle, but allows a bit of burnt sugar to creep through as well. The bite of coffee plays off the bitterness of hops at the finish, leading to a gentle fade of both. Overall, a nice stout balance, but without much real muscle.

A sight heavier than medium bodied, it has a mouth-filling, dense creaminess that impresses, and it leaves a nice hoppy glow as a legacy.

This is a case of my palate being upgraded by many of the stouts I've sampled in the years since I last had one of these. Standing alone, it's still one of the most drinkable examples of the style out there, but in comparison to some others, I realize that in some ways it pales. I have to say, it's certainly a classic, but it's something like a starter beer in the wide world of available stouts. But please, understand that I'd never say no to one of these. Often it's the best available on tap at a given establishment, and I'll order one gladly. It's just that it's no longer the one I think of when I want to go this route. Goes to show you, nothing lasts forever, no matter the marketing.

3.81/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a tan liquid that compares to chocolate milk at first. There is something hypnotic about watching the beer cascade into a jet black liquid with a wonderful tan thick creamy head. To me, the head on this is the best of almost any beer, and has a unique look. Smells slightly of coffee, almost a burnt smell. Taste is a good roasted coffee flavor, with a hint of chocolate. Feels a little thin for what I would like. I do find this to be very drinkable.
Many people trash this beer now. I understand that it doesn't taste as it once did, and what get in the US (from Canada) is almost an insult. Still, I find myself coming back to this beer now and again. I think it goes great with Irish food, and there is just something attractive about this beer.

4.01/5  rDev +16.2%

14.9 oz nitro can. Pours jet black with a soft tiny bubble head, which stays and stays, leaving alot of creamy lace/froth. The classic stout. All I get in the nose is a bit of malt. Taste is pure roasted and burnt maltiness. Coffee upfront and a hint of vanilla. Sublime and subtle. Chalky, bitter hops arrive next on the tongue. Mouthfeel is luscious and smooth. More malt and hops in a fine long finish. I love this in the nitro-can delivery mode, much better then the non-nitro bottles.

3.56/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap: Solid dark fudge brown, nearly black, thick and emensely dense dark cream head about a finger high, very frothy and whipped with caverness divets and rolling lumps. Lacing coats the glass very well in broken sheets. Smell is lightly roasty and chocolatey with a subdued dryness and sweetness of soft bread. Taste yields about the same as what the smell delivers with a slight roasy tone of malts the whole way through and dotting the mix along the way is a soft soggy breadiness thats a bit sweet, chocolate lightly appears with a subdued dryness in the finish. Overall, nothing to strong or lengthy in flavors. Feel is lightly smooth and kinda fluffy with a slight drying finish. It had been a while since the last time I'd had a Guinness in any form, the last being nitro-tap which wasn't very forthcoming, well now I remember why I don't order it on either tap or nitro. Maybe my tastes have changed so dramatically that I can't even enjoy a Guiness anymore. Oh well...?

4.1/5  rDev +18.8%

This pours black as night with that staple off-white head that each Irish Stout is topped off with. The smell is sweet with a chocolate presence and coffee hints. Bitter taste with a dry finish of coffee and raosted malts. Sweet dark chocolate rounds this beer out. Very silky smooth feel that goes down well. Hops are barely present. Not a bad beer by any means.

3.46/5  rDev +0.3%

A gently rolling, slightly uneven whipped creamy head brought to you by nitro. Very minute bubbles- a technical triumph.
The black is quite beautiful.

Less aroma than I recall in other forms of Guinness.
Some hint of the chocolaty malts.

A full taste with a nice balance of sweet and bitter.

A mouthfeel that appeals to me personally, although it disappears quickly. Theses folks have figured out the delivery mechanisim that makes their stout drinkable in quantity- at the danger of my personal beer budget.

I like tap better, but this is good science.

2.95/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It is hard to knock the appearance of this beer. Watching the cascading effect is truly one of the pleasures of a beer drinker. The smell of this beer is not too strong, some faint notes of roasted malts is all i can perceive. The taste is very plain, this beer simply doesn't taste like much which i believe is do to the nitro. The flavors I do get are those of coffee balanced by a little bit of chocolate. The nitro does make this beer extremely creamy and the drinkability is high as this beer doesn't fatigue the palate. I just don't know who would want to drink this when there are much better stouts out there.

3.3/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass from a 14.9 oz can.

A - This beer pours tar black with a thick light tan head that lingers.

S - Mild aroma of grain and some mild burnt/roasted malt.

T - It tastes of caramel, and some coffe as well. Very much a grain driven beer. Not a lot of hops involved.

M & D - Light body for a stout with not much complexity. Very drinkable and with a low ABV.

3.84/5  rDev +11.3%

I just realized that I never reviewed Guinness. So, after quaffing one at happy hour, I shall give my review. Guinness looks better than any beer out there, especially when someone pours it right off the nitro-tap. Deep brown with a lively white head that settles so tightly, its spooky. I don't know why I'm describing the look of Guinness. You know what it looks like. Neat.

Ok, but as for taste. Guinness is a little thin in the mouth, and though it has the stout flavors of coffee and light choco, it really doesn't ripple with flavor like an imperial stout would. So, on its own it's really not that great. But then again, there's nothing quite like sitting in a pub and throwing pint after pint of Guinness back with your best pals. The posters are great bar deco also. So, yeah. Thin, burnt malt, tiny little bitter hop character, and a big ole cream like head. Maybe the world's most distributed beer, and what I'll take when I run into a dive that has 4 taps - 2 buds, a coors, and this. Good for Guinness.

PS - I hate non beer drinkers who say, "Guinness is like a meal". Ooo, that gets me. Just because it's not transparent and tasteless like a macro, all of a sudden, it's too heavy. It's ABV is less than most macros !! damn !! Have a pint of barleywine and tell me about meals. Ok. Sorry about that.

2.39/5  rDev -30.7%

"Drink From Bottle" What the hell? I poured mine in a Guinness glass anyway.

Pours a black brew with a thick tan head.

Smells a bit like chocolate and coffee, mild sweet smell.

Taste is watery, mild sweetness is there. Slight chocolate and coffee flavors, really too mild in taste. Slight bitterness in the finish.

Watery Mouthfeel.

Drinkable, I guess but just a really inferior Stout. Every other stout I have tried is better, sad really.

4.63/5  rDev +34.2%

Ahh, Guinness. What is there to say about Guinness that hasn't already been said. Well, here's my 2 cents anyways.

Guinness is an opaque beer that can often times be intimidating to those who have never tried it. If you haven't, I would say try the nitro can or on nitro-tap before trying the Guinness Extra Stout, as it is smoother. Guinness is sometimes perceived as thick, syrupy, or heavy. As well as referred to as "motor oil" by those who would rather down a case of [insert macrobrew here] Light, than try a "real" beer.

Once you take the plunge and try it, I think you may be surprised to find out that none of the above descriptions are true. Everyone's individual tastes vary, and it's possible that you may not like this even after giving it a fair chance. However, don't avoid Guinness simply because you believe the stereotypes.

Anyways, back to the beer. As far as taste goes, there is definately a "burnt" or coffee-like taste but I would in no way characterize it as such. Those tastes don't, in my opinion, dominate, and make the taste over-powering. I've run into a few instances where I've ordered it on tap, and it has a somewhat "metallic" taste (perhaps the beer was not as fresh as it could be), but overall this should not occur often.

Also, technically this review refers to the nitro can version, but if you've never tried it before, I would recommend getting it on tap from a place that a) sells a lot (so the likelyhood of it being bad is minimized) and b) has a bartender that knows how to pour one properly. Speaking of which, if you do get it in the nitro can, be sure to pour it properly (I believe that it should be slowly and gently poured in one long pour, as opposed to the 2-part pour from the tap). Also be sure to get your lip under the head for the best taste. I think some people get a big gulp of head off that first sip, and then are put off because of the taste (I probably would be too).

"Lovely day for a Guinness"

3.8/5  rDev +10.1%

I was so excited about trying this new Guiness Draught in the nitro bottle! I poured it out slowly into a nice clean glass with tingles of excitement running through me. I held the glass up to the light... jet black and wonderful! Nice frothy almond head. I took a nice deep sniff.... hmm... not much there. Not bad, but not as strong as I expected. I took a taste. Hmm...it had the aftertaste I expected, but where was the front end flavor??? Kind of felt a little watery. Make that a lot watery!? Not what I expected at all. Not in the least up to the standards I have come to expect from a Guiness brew. I have to say that overall, I'm not impressed.

2.02/5  rDev -41.4%

What did they do to my guinness. I cannot believe that this actually passes under the name of guinness.

Huge creamy head, jet black body.
Water roasted malts, dark chocolate-like bitterness. It is like the nitro sucks all the flavor from this pathetic swill.
Nasty foamy weak thin nastiness.

I had this a half a dozen times just to make sure that this was not a defect at the particular bar I was at and have to say it is the bigest beer disappointment I can ever remember having.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.