Join our email list →

Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland | website

Irish Dry Stout | 4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,140 | Hads: 7,085
3.8/5  rDev +10.1%

The beer pours a deep black color with a thick tan head. The aroma is good. It is full of black and rosted malts. The taste is decent. It is light tasting for a full bodied beer. It has roasted and black malt flavor with a bit of a watery finish. It is refreshing. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with good carbonation. This is the first stout I've ever had. It drinks well, but is far from the best out there. It is a good starter stout for first time BA's.

4.43/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The current nitro-bottle offering from Guinness has an appearance like no other; a swirling pour from the bottle in the colors of off-white, brown, then an ink-black that forms nicely into the glass; a light tan head that maintains it's consistency until the last gulp of this fine beverage. A decent aroma of roasted malts, nuts and coffee beans. Up front, refreshing, crisp, clean, dark roasted malts noticeable. The body has a delicate creaminess and a lingering sweetness; as this is explored further, she is a bit light in the body, and dare I say a bit watery, perhaps from the widget? Nonetheless, a classic stout, great session brew, perhaps thinned out a bit to appeal to the masses?

4.14/5  rDev +20%

What can I say? I really like this brew. Sure, it's not as good as Murphy's, but it's still better than most of the crap that's offered at bars and such. It's appearance is a beautiful sight for me, with the cascadeing colors in the begginning, and then it switching over to the pitch black body with the thick creamy tan head. One thing that's cool, is that at the Irish Pud I frequent, they dab the foam on top, so that it forms a clover. The taste is not too shabby. It's got a chocolate maltyness to it, plus the bite of the hops, and then it balances out to a creamy finish. I like this beer. It's gotta be the Irish Catholic in me.

3.73/5  rDev +8.1%

While spending the holidays in a pool in Dubai, Guinness in a nitro-can was the best beer I could find. I guess one doesn't go to the Persian Gulf to drink beer. Anyway, the bartender at the in-pool bar at my hotel poured the beer properly, and it looked mighty fine, deep and dark against the blue sky, with a one finger tan head that lingered much longer than the whisps of clouds baked away by the sun. The smell was roasted nuts, caramel and malt, full and flavorful. The mouth was thick and smooth. The taste? Well, after a week of euro-lagers on tap, the roasty bitterness of this Guinness really hit the spot. Sure, it's better on tap. But the two I had while lounging in the pool that afternoon in early January tasted mighty good.

2.97/5  rDev -13.9%

When I was younger I tried Guinness for my first time. It was one o the beers that led me away from Bud and Labatt's. I really enjoyed it at the time. As a matter of fact, i would have given it 5's across the boards back then. But I am older now. I have had many other stouts since then.
I now know where I went wrong those years ago.
It pours one of the most beautiful black stouts ever made. With a pitch black color and a frothy dark tan head one would expect the perfect stout. This is wrong.
Thre was very little smell. A little bitterness in the whiff, but that was about it other than what might have been a slight coffee smell. The taste wasn't much better. Though it was more complex than the beer I was drinking before that (shitty lagers like Bud and Blue), It really doesn't have much complexity at all. A Musty coffee taste that reminds me of how my grandfathers house smelled when I was a kid with an overpowering bitter aftertaste. There was a poor lack of balance. I don't think I'm going to be drinking this again any time soon.
I do understand why many people think of this as the best beer in the world. They have never tried Shakespear Stout.

2.39/5  rDev -30.7%

Guinness Draught- Joshua Huddys brew house in Toms River.

Appearance- black with an incrediblely thick head.
Smell- roasted coffee and an ashy smokiness.
Taste- at first a bitter roasted coffee that quickly dissappeared. No flavor after the first sip!?!
Mouthfeel- at first bitter then nothing but water. What's going on here!?

Overall- I haven't had a Guinness in years and don't recall it being a watered down mess. Maybe it was served to cold. Regardless, my review stands on what I drank!!
Guinness on tap was a waste of my money and time. I don't care about any beers reputation this beer blew!!!

3.94/5  rDev +14.2%

well, i poured two bottles of this stuff into a large glass. color is black (i did not hold up to the light) the head is disgusting and artificial. it has a creaminess to it that is impossible to enjoy. bubbles are microscopic. i've never had this on tap. is the head suppose to look like this?

taste is mild and roasty. kinda watery but yet dry enough to make it very drinkable. nothing overwhelming or great. just ok. if i am in th right mood and it's a special occassion, i'll use this as a session beer, rarely.

3.54/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: The pour yields that classic Guinness settling action, which is always pretty cool. It looks great but it still looks better on tap. A thin tan head sits atop a body of darkest crimson/brown. The beer looks black unless it's held up to the light.

Smell: Not much to speak of. Just a faint roasted malt aroma.

Taste: Roasted malt. A little butteriness can be detected at times. There is a playful but unfulfilling bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Good and bad. It feels silky smooth but also very watery.

Drinkability: At 4.1 you can drink 'em as long as you can stand 'em.

It's better on tap, and it's probably really better on tap in Ireland. Anyhow, it's still good. Although, I can't figure out why I used to think Guinness was so filling. So many people still think this way even though it has such a watery consistency.

3.11/5  rDev -9.9%

Says drink from the bottle kind of strange. Guess the tan plastic ring on top is the head(appearance 1). Not much smell either Tastes is lacking also, little more bitter from the bottle but it tastes more wartered down that way. Tried a glass pours nice and dark with rich creamy tan head. Smells of malt some roasting . Tastes light malt dry creamy touch of hops. Thin mouthfeel for a stout but drinakable. Just ignore drink from the bottle and its not to bad.

3.96/5  rDev +14.8%

This is a great standard beer for me. If I can't decide I'll go with a Guinness. Its creamy and smooth, with a nice slight bitterness. The color is also quite impressive, although to many people the color can be a deterrent, which is sad, because it is a smooth and flavorful beer.

4.14/5  rDev +20%

This looked exceptionally wonderful. Pitch black with a creamy head that lasted until I was done. Couldn't be better.

I would give the taste a 4.25, but there are not enough discrete points to give it that. Not very astringent,but with a very good taste.

The smell was good but not very strong. I don't have the most incredible sense of smell so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

2.95/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Since the nitro bottle is designed to be drank straight from the bottle that's how I'm reviewing it.
It's a cool enough looking bottle, but I'd like to see the beer. Watching the nitrogen work it's magic is half the fun of drinking any nitro-beer.
Upon first opening you get a whiff of roasty, chocolatey malt. After that not much of anything can be picked up with the beer inside the bottle.

Taste: I really enjoy this beer on tap, but the bottled version doesn't even seem like the same beer. Roasty, chocolatey malt. Some coffee. Plenty of bitterness, more bitterness than flavor, IMO. Very dry middle to end.

Nice, creamy nitrogen mouthfeel, although drinking from the bottle messes this up a bit as well.
I've come a long way since I first started drinking beer out of a glass and I don't want to drink any beer out of the bottle anymore.
Overall, still a decent beer, but just doesn't compare to the real draught version or even the nitro can whether you leave it in the bottle or pour it in a glass.

3.57/5  rDev +3.5%

Beautiful appearance, but then it went downhill. I was exepcting much more from a beer on tap. Smell was very faint malt and didn't invite you to drink more. Taste was mild, but witha bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel was watery. I know the abv is low, but there could have been more flavor. Easy enough to drink with the cheesburger I was eating.

4.28/5  rDev +24.1%

Guinness is simply one of those standard beers that the world is a better place for. Its my safety beer. In the average bar filled with Coors, Bud Light and MGD, you can almost always at least Guinness nitro cans. I have come to depend on Guinness in this way.
When the pour is fresh, there is a wonderul thick head on the top of your beer. You should be able to draw in it or make little 'peaks' on the head by dipping your finger in the beer. Guinness doesn't offer a variety or real depth of flavor, but never disappoints. Its flavor hits almost immediately with hints of coffee dark bitter chocolate. I can drink Guinness like chocolate milk - except in larger quantities.

2.62/5  rDev -24.1%

Very dark body, beige creamy looking head, very little carbonation, I was not able to smell the beer at all, maybe I'm getting a cold...
Tasted mostly like thin milk chocolate mixed with a weak pale ale, had some bitterness in the aftertaste.
Feels very creamy but that doesn't make the beer more drinkable to me.

3.43/5  rDev -0.6%

I didnt really like Guinness from the bottle when comparing it to the nitro-can or tap. When poured it sort of flat not as I was used to. Its color was the standard black and the head was rahter weak and not very creamy. Kinda expected that though. The smell was almost dryish. The taste at first was good like a guinness from tap but the after taste is what really turned me off. It had a burnt bacon like after taste. I dont know how else to explain it. It was drinkable but the lingering after taste I didnt like.

4.23/5  rDev +22.6%

While not quite as good as a true pint of nitro-tap Guinness, the nitro canned version is decent. When you pop the top you can hear the nitrogen ball rushing the nitrogen into the beer. On the pour you get that wonderful cascading affect, that settles after a few moments and creates a pitch black, opque beer, with a lovely, dense, creamy nitro head of foam. The aromas are a bit subdued compared to draught, but they are still nice. They consist of roasted malts, and slight hops. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, but not as smooth as draught, and the drinkability takes a bit of a hit as well, for all of the above differences.

3.79/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The pour is the best part of this beer. The wait - watching your beer "build" into shape is great stuff. Its black in color with a thin tan head. Lacing through the drink. The aroma isn't as exciting as some roasted malts are detected and not much else.

The taste is mellow and not overly exciting for a stout, but it is pleasant. The roasted malt is most notible. Very creamy and smooth mouthfeel. The body is thin for a stout, but this make this a great session beer if there are no other good beers on draft.

2.78/5  rDev -19.4%

I must admit, this kind of thing isn't my bag.

Anyone that has seen Guinness will know that the appearance is just incredible. Exactly what stout should look like.

Though I had it a few times served properly by Irish beer maids in the home country, I just don't like the tase of it.

Black creamy liquid isn't for me I guess. Though, I do understand why many would love it.

3.4/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

It's been nearly 9 years since I fell in love with a fresh pint of Guinness, at a Dublin pub near St James Gate. I savored many a pint of this "brown liquid food" in Ireland, and it made me a believer. Here, I have an 11.2 oz bottle with a widget inside, and the label recommends drinking it straight from the bottle. I refuse such heresy, and pour into a pint glass. Looks right--opaque deep brown with a frothy tan head. Decent nose of heavy malt, smoke, and burnt coffee. Mouthfeel is creamy, but seems watered down. Taste is of pipe tobacco, two day old coffee, and some stale bread. Enormous lacing on the glass.

This bears scant resemblance to the heavy duty fresh pints I savored in Dublin, Cork, and Galway, but is yet a respectable pint, to my amazement. This expensive looking bottle with widget inside,offers a decent effort to duplicate an authenic, fresh, draft Guinness. Sorry, it just can't be done with widgets.

Impression--Mediocre out of a "widget" bottle. The real deal is quite impressive, as I recall. Most Irish folks told me that you would be unlikely to find a decent pint outside of the Republic. They be correct.

3.72/5  rDev +7.8%

This is probably my favorite beer and has been since I can remember. I don't remember ever NOT liking Guinness. I am going to forgo my usual review format because everyone knows what this beer tastes and smells like.

I consider this to be the most beautiful beer once poured. The deep black color, the high-density head, the wonderful cascade effect. It doesn't get any better that that.

As far as drinkability, I can put down pints of this stuff all night long. What a classic.

12/12/03

Wow, that was less than a year ago? While I still agree that this beer is beautiful in the glass, and that it can be sucked down all night with little effort, I don't think that it is quite the ambrosia that I did at one time. I've knocked the numbers down accordingly.

Smell: Not bad, but very mild for a stout.

Mouthfeel: Very, very, oh so very thin for a stout. It's very smooth, I must say, but there just needs to be a butt-load more body.

Taste: While the taste is very pleasant, it is mild beyond belief. Still a little roasty, just a bit a toasty, but overall flat.

I still drink this beer when I go out. (Remember, this is Wichita and my choices are severely limited.) But I rarely, if ever, buy it to bring home anymore.

3.85/5  rDev +11.6%

Since i've lost most of my good pub glasses bringing them over to friend's houses and leaving them there, I wasn't about to make that mistake last night. So I took the opportunity to try the only incarnation of Guinness that I haven't had and picked up a sixer on sale for $6.99

When I got back to the house, I was dismayed to find that these sleekly-designed bottles aren't even 12 ounces, but are in fact 11.2 ounces. Guinness always has a way to get your pocketbook, be it the pub cans that will never give you a buzz, or just their generally overpriced products. They got me yet again.

After drinking the first beer from the bottle, I decided that route of delivery was pretty lame so I switched back to the glass. Pouring the beer into a glass is a bit awkward, but it still kicks up that nice Guinness froth. The smell is actually a bit better than the pub-can version.

The taste is still what i'm used to, with a bit more character. I think some of the watery-ness is decreased by a fuller mouthfeel.

All in all, a huge gimmick that might result in slightly better beer. I would have to do a head to head taste test to establish for sure.

Another way for the Guinness corporation to diversify its interests.

3.06/5  rDev -11.3%

without doubt the most well known and acessable stout going around, guinness is a great start for anyone wanting to move up from crappy macro lagers into the realm of darker beers. on the whole tho, if youve tried the foreign export, youll know the tap draught is the equivalent of any boring lager as far as dark beers go.

one thing that has to be pumped up as far as this beer goes, theyve set the standard for a great looking beer. is there a greater sight in beer drinking history that a freshly poured guinness? rich dark color with that flowing head that builds up the glass in waves. its bordering on arousing. thick and creamy head that has more staying power than an irish thoroughbred,. burnt coffee nose, that presents itself in the taste. some chocolate present with quite meaty flavors, and a robust hoppy finish. a meal in itself, ive never managed to have a big session on the guinness no matter how hard ive tried, even thought thet AV isnt high.

a classic even tho its not an especially great beer. guinness is the stepping stone for anyone looking to get past the usual dirge of boring lagers etc that pervade the market. pretty 'sexy' too as far as appearances go. if only every beer poured like this one.

2.08/5  rDev -39.7%

The appearance of this stout is by far the most impressive thing about it. Pours a charcoal black with a frothy tan head that lasts the entire pint, leaving a solid wall of lace. Carbonation somehow travels south as things settle.

Mouthful was entirely disappointing. Thin thin thin with almost no carbonation at all. Aroma was sorely lacking as well, with just hints of some cocoa and a strange fruitiness. Taste/texture was very creamy, but not in a good way. more of a non-dairy-creamer thing going on.

Unique in the sense that it's the best looking poor tasting beer I've had.

3.61/5  rDev +4.6%

Off a nitro-tap, this brew gives you the time to pay some attention to its appearance - a glossy black with ruby edging, a creamy one-finger tan head and a modest amount of lace.
The smell is somewhat subdued, of coffee and some cocoa. The taste has a pleasant roasted maltiness with some last-cup old coffee flavor and a light taste of bittersweet chocolate. It finished with a mildly sour taste. The weakest link for Guinness Draught had to be its feel: thin and a bit on the watery side.
On the whole, Guinness is a decent stout that is quite easy to drink. Still a good standby, I can think of a number of other stouts I'd rather drink, given the choice.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.