Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd. visit their website

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,105 | Hads: 6,853
3.62/5  rDev +5.2%

Ahh Guinness, for better or for worse, THE standard in Stouts. I still think its a great looking pint, the light head on the dark brew, the lightness eminating from the dark as you set it down after taking a sip. Simply one of the best heads ever, which lends a beautiful look to the whole thing. Taste is good, very presentable to someone not familiar with Stouts or a soul that's intimidated by dark brews, but not something that would make one more familiar with various dark beers throw down thier pants and say Hallelujah. Some say its too filling or heavy, but don't beleive what you're told in that regard, I can certainly drink ten pints of this without feeling more full than I would after 160 oz. of any other good beer. The bottom line: its Guinness; everyone should drink bunches of it at some point, but its far from the end all of Stouts.

3.15/5  rDev -8.4%

Guinness in a bottle is like cheese cake in a squeeze tube, its still good, but just make you want the real thing. No aroma. For as cold as it is, it actually still has a lot of flavor. The design of the bottle is nice, so I guess it gets some appearance points for that. Tastes like Guinness, I guess. Ok in a pinch, but don’t give up the nitro tap.

3.6/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pous out of the rocket widget bottle with a vengance. A lovely dark, dark brown head, that lovely smell that is Guiness. It really is an old friend. Strange to review it really 'cause I'be been drinking it for 30 years. Still sometimes the review is simply a way of expressing oneself. From the bitter to the coffee; with that creamy smooth feel in the mouth. Why can some macros do it and others can't? I have often said aftertaste is my big thing. Well, Guinness has good aftertaste.

Guinness draught is one of the reliable ones when it comes to beer. In those airport bars, chain hotels, etc. you can always be sure with this brew. There may be better beers out there but never forget your old friend or you'll grow old alone.

3.8/5  rDev +10.5%

I, like the previous reviewer, thought this was the primo beer in the world. It was all I ordered at pubs and resturants, I bought the t-shirts and caps, and thought myself really sophisticated compared to my friends, who couldn't understand why I would want to pay four dollars for a pint, when I could get three Bud's for the same price. Then I started checking out books and this site, which informed me that Guinness was'nt even in the top 10.I now I still love Guinness, but I'm looking to try others first.
Still the most beautiful working beer in existence, still has the wonderful creamy nitro mouthfeel, still has the most distinct first sip roasted malt taste,and a superior lace, but now I find its aroma sadly lacking and I notice that the wonderful malt taste seems to fade rapidly

4.01/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours from the Genie bottle with the "patented" rich and ultra creamy Guinness head, all tanned and wonderful looking. The cascading head slowly changes to a near black liquid in the glass, with just a hint of redness when held directly in front of a light. The nose is a mix of burnt torrified barley, very light smoke, very light espresso and some bitter chocolate. Taste is smooth and very creamy due to the nitro bottles, with notes of highly roasted malts, chocolate, fleeting fruitiness, a wisp of smokiness, and non-denominational bitterness...probably more from the roasted barley than the hoppiness, which seems to be minimal here. Finishes up s - m - o - o - t - h and quite dry. End thought: a super drinkable Stout, goes down easy and is quite the tasty quaff!

3.38/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Let's face it - it's better than most canned beers, but it's not like proper draught Guinness in a pub.

It varies depending on where it's brewed. Predictably the Irish version is the best. It's a good fallback at parties in the UK, especially when your in-laws are Irish. However, I can't take more than 3 cans of this in a day.

2.18/5  rDev -36.6%

I do not understand you people who gave this beer a 5. A "stout" to be had out of the bottle. When pured into a glass, the color is fairly dark, but clear. When held up to the light you can see through its character. The smell is non-existent. Little hops, but thats it. The taste, well, was great during my beer chugging days. Very watery, very plain. Made to be drunk quickly, if at all. Not all too much to say about this beer. I may continue to entertain it on special occasions when others are having it, but not with pleasure.

2.36/5  rDev -31.4%

Served on nitro-tap in a Guinness glass.

Appearance Umm.. I think we all know what Guinness served on tap looks like. If you don't you need to get out more. Essentially, inky black with a healthy sized thick and creamy tan head. Guinness is a thing of beauty to look at.

Smell: Umm.. I smelled bar here. The smell of Guinness is pretty much non-existent. You might catch whiffs of smokiness and roasted malts here and there, but then I'd wonder what crack you wuz smokin'

Taste: Massively subdued roasted malt flavor. No real hop presence.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, yet watery at the same time. A conundrum in a glass.

Drinkability: I can drink this easily, and with no shame. But, outside of certain circumstances.. why really bother?

Other: Guinness is the elevator muzac of good beer. Let others trash it all they want, it's not really _that_ bad. It's just not exactly that good either. Still, it's a consistent product (I mean shit, the brewery practically invented quality control as a concept) and it's available at some pretty nice places. I can down a few, look like a manly kinda guy, and not wake up hung over in the morn. What's not to like?

3.13/5  rDev -9%

Appearance: Jet black, with a good half inch foamy head.

Aroma: Coffee and chocolate tones. Has almost a creamy nose.

Taste: Roasted malt and lots of coffee. Nice, smooth finish.

Mouthfeel: Quite creamy. Rich, yet not thick. Very nice balance for a stout.

Drinkability: A perrenial favorite that is the benchmark for most stouts worldwide.

I had this at a Guinness tasting. How could one pass up an opportunity for a free Guinness or five?!
While they were replacing the keg we got bottles and the announcer tried to convince all in attendance that it was the same as draft. Sure, except it comes from a bottle!
It lacks the cascading bubbles one gets from the tap and the head is not nearly as high or long lasting. The color is still dark.
I do not think it has the same strong aroma I get from a draft either.
There is some lingering coffee scent.
Taste is not as pronounced almost has a metalic feel. The mouthfeel is not as creamy.
Bottom line, if it can be avoided do not drink the nitro bottle, go with draft.

3.16/5  rDev -8.1%

Pitch black with the big off-white cascading head that makes it famous. It looks so good, yet falls so short.

Smells faintly of dark malts and a hint of coffee. The taste is such a letdown. Mouthfeel is very thin, dark malts are weak at best. The only thing going for it is that you could drink a bunch in one sitting if shooting the cheese at a bar.

There are SO many better stout options that you'd be silly to limit yourself to this as a regular stout. Marketing is amazing, eh?

4.01/5  rDev +16.6%

I didn't mind a Guinness but truth be told wasn't the biggest fan, until I left Australia. Guinness drinkers of OZ, we are being let down. I thought the stereotype of "it tastes better in Ireland" was one of those nationalistic calls that every country needs to make, until I went there. Sitting in the Sky Bar of the Guinness factory with a view over Dublin and a pint of the black, expertly poured, without the touristy shamrock was a great experience. All the true stout flavours and textures came through. A hint of coffee, that slighly burnt taste, a thick creamy texture and not too much gas as Australian so called "stouts" can have, and a head that lasted all the way to the bottom of the glass. The only way to truly enjoy this beer, in the country where it was made...

2.53/5  rDev -26.5%

BLARGH! It tastes like corn flakes, people. A beer that's proof that I could bottle my own homebrew, stick a marble in it, call it special, and sell it. Sigh.

You can't see the beer, so I'm not sure how to judge appearance. And for fuck's sake -- you can't even pull the label off the bottle in a drunken stupor since it's plastic that's shrink-wrapped to the bottle shape. But I will give it a 1.5 because the bottle is kind of sexy looking -- curvy like a fine woman. (I choose to see the silver lining.) Similarly, no aroma escapes the bottle. Tastes OK. More or less like Guinness with the flavor boiled out or diluted with milk or something. I'm telling you; it tastes like corn flakes. Reasonably creamy still, which is nice. And hey, for a beer that is supposed to be slammed from the bottle, it's pretty drinkable.

But let's not kid ourselves here, folks. Why not just drink from your toilet? Find a better Guinness.

3.52/5  rDev +2.3%

My first Guinness was a horrid bottled beer many years ago. Today's version with the "widget" delivering something resembling a hand-pulled mouthfeel is a great improvement. The Draught cans still have a somewhat “fizzier” head than a draft pull, but at least the head is creamy and plays well with the roasty beer body. Good smoked peat taste. Acidic, too. I've based my ratings on the pint "pub draught" cans that have been in my beer fridge for over two years now (one left), and it seems to have aged pretty well.

4.04/5  rDev +17.4%

I don't care how "common" this beer may be, I say it is perfect in appearance for the style. What other beer has that velveteen cream head in which you can make two eyes a nose and a smiley face in the head and still see it when your finished? The aromas are fine, while the nitrogen charged mouthfeel is one of the worlds great mouthfeels. It must be experienced! The taste is all guiness. A near perfect balance in all things beer. A lovely bitter and a dry style that I can let slither down my gullet all night. I can drink this, and have in a hot sweaty, crowded bar in the middle of August and find refreshment. I hear in Ireland that this beer is even more delicious. I'm half Irish and will one day discover this legend.

3.99/5  rDev +16%

If you want to talk appearance...this is a beer to be talking about. Its fun to just watch. The head is almost surreal as it forms. As a homebrewer it is baffling. The head is so creamy looking, off-white, small bubbled froth. It never disipates, it just follows the beer to the bottom of the glass until you feel its time to suck it down. Smell is chocolate but a mild smell all around. Not very strong. Definately not hoppy. Tastes of malt and chocolate and definately some coffee notes. The mouthfeel is so Creamy. Sort of chewy. I'm not a big Guiness drinker so I've got no Idea how the Ol' tummy handles it in larger quanities, but, I'd sure give it a try one night. Seems a little too creamy to try drinking it all night. But thats just me. A damn good beer

3.96/5  rDev +15.1%

This is a great beer. It just looks awesome with the cascading effect of the head. The head just last the entire glass. tonight mine was served with a four leaved cloved drawn on the head that stayed there till the end.

The smell was very roasty with coffe and burnt caramel smells. The taste was the same.

Mouthfeel was great, it was very rich and smooth with little carbonation but it fit the stout just right.

This wasn't very drinkable. I could substitute this with my meal because it is so thick.

2.49/5  rDev -27.6%

This is the nitro bottle version. Very smooth tasting almost creamy, a bit of roastiness. Overall very clean and not too exciting. Carbonation is very low, and in this beer makes it seem a bit too thin. Much better versions of Guiinness exist, the Belgian version is awesome.

3.54/5  rDev +2.9%

The beer pours forth in a thin stream from the tap, deep beige cascading to black, topped with a thick, creamy sand colored head. Great lacework, typical nitro clinginess.
Aroma is mildly roasty, a bit tinny from the nitro. Very mild hopping. No real extraneous aroma, just simple and classic. A touch of coffee, but that's about it.
Flavor is fairly thin and lightly roasty. Roasted malt flavor prevails from start to finish. Very easy drinking, with smooth nitro carbonation and light bitterness, mostly from the roasted malt. Hops provide a solid dryness to the finish, leaving a slight black coffee aftertaste. Some tinny metallic flavor, with a flavor deadening effect from the nitrogen.
Very simple, but a pleasant beer to drink when the tap selection's limited. Very easy to drink, with enough flavor to keep you interested. A definitive beer.

2.99/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a deep brown, with that big creamy cream head, impossibly slow to fall. Lace is extremely thick, leaving stain of a similar quality that create a second wall on the glass. Eerily attractive from the nitrogen but must give it some credit. Smell was faintly of dark chocolate mixed with oak, with some lighter oaky and roasty scents too. Not easy to sniff. Taste begins with the lightly creamy taste of the abundant head, then comes the thin dark malts and roasted barley, oaky notes, and ends with a short to medium finish of similar burnt flavors. That very thin mouthfeel strikes too close to water, makes it feel as weak as the taste, though this does get alleviated by the hyper-creamy head to a thicker feel.

I wonder what it would be like if we got the original Irish recipe, draughting, and serving temperature...

Not bad, but I've always considered Guinness' most appealing element to be it's silk-like smoothness. This, of course, is from the nitrogen it's either kegged or bottled with. Otherwise, apart from it's appealing crispness, I've never found anything about this beer to write home about. Instead, I always find myself wondering what other beers would be like with a nitro tap...

3.91/5  rDev +13.7%

The Guinness draught pours a jet black with the beautiful creamy off white head that lasts forever. One could go into a Zen like state watching the head cascade and form. The smell is of roasted malts and grains, with heavy coffee, and chocolate notes. The taste is similar with flavours of coffee, chocolate and caramel. There is some bitterness from the roasted malts, not so much from the hops. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth with a touch of dryness at the backend..This is a great session beer as the low ABV keeps you from getting too loopy. But be careful, as too many of these in a night can do frightening things to your innards

3.22/5  rDev -6.4%

Say what you will about nitrogen and it's effects on taste etc., but it's hard to find a better looking beer than this. Black in color with a head that looks like meringue. Cascading effects are very cool. Very smooth and velvety taste/mouth feel, kind of artificial. Lots of roasted malt flavors somewhat chewy in texture. Some lasting bitterness for the finish. Pretty damn good for coming out of the can.

4.31/5  rDev +25.3%

A true classic among beers, I was re aquanted with it tonight on tap at Dave&Busters. The bar tender even knew how to pour it correctly, I was shocked! Anyways, it poured that great dark black color with a great creamy head that stayed throughout the whole glass. It smelled of roasted coffee and chocolate and tasted pretty much the same. The mouthfeel was great and creamy and it really opened up once it hit your tounge with a bit of a tingle. I could have drank it all night, but at 4 bucks a pint glass my pocketbook was saying "no". This is one macro that still tastes fucking great!

3.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

It seems rather strange to drink this Guinness right from the bottle, as the directions on said bottle told me to do so. I'd had this nitro bottle before and didn't follow the directions and poured it into a glass. I really liked the sheeting action from it.

This time, points get deducted because I can't see the damn beer. It's dark....I'll give it that. Aromas are still on the thin side. Some coffee, chocolate, and nuts. Taste was a little fuller than expected, but still nothing great, with the roasted coffee and chocolate trying to show some muscle but really not doing much of anything. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Drinkability suffers since I really enjoy the "visuals" associated with a well-poured Guinness. I'll still take a fresh pint over any botte, nitro-bottle, nitro-can, etc.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.