Follow our progress ...

Guinness Draught | Guinness Ltd.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Reviews: 2,187 | Ratings: 7,325
4.02/5  rDev +16.5%

Well the almighty Guinness, we meet at last. I was up in Hell's Kitchen for Halloween and my buddy took me to this place Scruffy Duffy's (coolest damn sports bar ever, check it out if your ever in NY) and wouldn't let me order anything until I tried a Guinness on tap. I must say I was very surprised. Dark and smooth, almost coffee like. Then I saw the ABV, 4.1%, with that kinda ABV I could drink this stuff all day!

4.13/5  rDev +19.7%

Deep black with a white head that lasted to the bottom. Lacing was in nice coats, sheets, rings, etc. Mild aroma, slight roast, some chocolate. Very very smooth, minimal roasted character. Mouthfeel is creamy and not overbearing. Very drinkable and i had forgotten how enjoyable a Guinness can be. Might have rated higher if it wasn't brought to my table accompanied by a totally frozen lager mug. I will never learn about buying beer in restaurants. I politely told the waitress that this was totally inappropriate and to bring me another glass. All they had was mugs for beer. I stooped caring and took one that wasn't frozen. Wrecked the ambience of the brew. Any how, this is a stout i'm not going to ignore any more. A solid stout.

4.18/5  rDev +21.2%

l: 4.5 extremely light tan/white head. very dense though not terribly tall. Bubbles so fine you can hardly see them. Not quite opaque like other stouts. Instead very dark brown with a red tone in the light.

s: 4.0 smells like the chocolate malted grains. hint of bitterness, but the majority of the scent is a sweet chocolatey smell

t: 4.0 taste in the mouth is pretty tame. a little hops and a little chocolate. Aftertaste is excellent, smooth chocolate flavor with a hint of a sweet/bittersweet flavor that is quite enjoyable. You don't sense the alcohol at all; probably due to the low alcohol content and thich flavor.

m: 4.5 nice and thick, while remaining unbelievably smooth.

d: 4:5 It is so smooth and so tasty that i could drink it all day. With so little ABV, you practically could.

3.99/5  rDev +15.7%

What can I say about Guinness that hasn't been said a billion times before? Obviously, the cascade of bubbles in the glass is mouthwateringly inviting. The primary aroma and flavor is that of dark roasted malts, but it's the dry, creamy mouthfeel that makes this more than your average ale.

Guinness needs to be fresh, or it can be terrible; but these days it seems easier to find fresh sources than "back in the day." I know it's popular to believe that Guinness varies a lot depending on where it's brewed, but I'm not sure if I believe this. (I'm not saying I actively disbelieve it, either.) There's a huge potential for self-delusion here.

3.86/5  rDev +11.9%

The quintessential dry stout. This review is on a 14.5oz can of Guinness Draught. This beer is just beautiful when poured into a glass. Two finger light brown head that is very creamy. The head hardly diminishes at all throughout the entire drink session. The beer is dark chocolate brown in color and is completely opaque.

This beer has a very light roasted coffee aroma. The taste also very light and has no sweetness. Just a slightly bitter roasted taste. Smooth as silk with a very creamy mouthfeel. For some reason, I just don’t like the mouthfeel of nitrogen charged beers. This beer surprises in that it looks heavy and full of flavor, but the taste and aroma are both very subdued. Quite a difference from an imperial stout. I’m not a big fan of this beer, but how can I review it poorly when it is the original dry stout? I mean, it’s the gold standard for this style of beer.

A very smooth, creamy and easy to drink beer that suits it’s style to a tee.

2.88/5  rDev -16.5%

Okay, well, Guinness looks great when poured. The head is just perfect--a creamy off-white about a centimeter high.

Mouthfeel is kind of chalky and veering towards a strange paste when it mixes with the head. Hmm.

Taste is quite roasted and there is a prominent copper bitter. Reminds me of the chalk stuff you have to drink at the doctor...

Not a bad brew, just average.

4.23/5  rDev +22.6%

What can I say, this is the beer that started it all.

A dark dream of a beer, black enough to suck in all light around it, and then seems to refocus this light in the pristine small bubble head. Having a nitro kegorator in college just for Guinness was NOT overkill.

Low alcohol lets you really knock these back, mix in a corned beef sandwhich and it is heaven.

You get a mix of head and beer in every mouthful, but makes for a very creamy experience. I love nitro taps!

The taste is not pushing the envelope, but you get your little bitter fix in all the creamy goodness.

Some beers are more appropriate at times, but Guinness is always ready to step up to the plate.

Edit:I've got to knock the taste from a 5 down to a 4. Either this beer is changing or my tastes are drastically different now. Still good...but not close to perfect.

3.48/5  rDev +0.9%

500ml can with widget

On tap, this stuff is everywhere here.

Pours with a thick, dense milky head. Dark black body

Smell is malty, with little to deliver. Not a strong beer so this may be the reason.

Malty in taste. Refreshing and thick, with a coffee kick followed by a vanilla punch and a biiter aftertaste

A fair stout, found everywhere in the world. Easier to drink than guinness original, but not as full of flavour or as complex.

2.31/5  rDev -33%

It's black as night and a light tan head abount an inch thick. So far everything's ok.

It smells like burnt barley, I can live with that.

The taste is where it falters. What taste there is, is of burnt barley and not much else. Dry and unpleasant. The mouthful is ok, like waterd down cream, with it's low carbonation.

I think that Guinness is where a lot of people are turned off by dark beers. I'd take it over a budmillercoors, but if there were a decent stout or porter around, I'd leave this for someone else.

3.59/5  rDev +4.1%

A descent stout. Was nice and dark with a very nice foamy off-white head which lasted for some time. Taste was rather bland, it was neither sweet or bitter. I found the taste to be disappointing. Very nice smooth mouthfeel. OK if this is the only dark choice at the bar.

3.18/5  rDev -7.8%

THis is a step up from the standard macroswill that college campuses tend to be congested with. I'm at leats happy that my friend drinks this instead of Busch Lite. Appearance is a light translucent brown, and seeing as how i took the advice of the bottle and drank straight from it, i couldnt tell you any more than that, save for the fact that it kept foaming over the top. Smell is mettalic and wheaty, with some meaty protein hints but not very much complexity at all. Taste is about the same, with a bitter metallic taste, but its clearly not from hops. Tastes kind of earthy, with some wheat and malt in there. Mouthfeel is thicker than most other macros, as would be expected, and there is little carbonation, which combines to make it feel like youre drinking foamy milk. Its an ok choice if you want something a step above regular macro, but not really a good choice if you want a real stout. I hear the Guinness Extra Stout is better though...

3.43/5  rDev -0.6%

Good solid stout. Yes...it's Guiness and the marketing machine is in high gear. But...have to say there is a bitterness about that I just don't care for. It is a very good beer though and will find myself going back to it every know and then. However, Murphy's is the Stout to have. It's just much bettter without the bitter. Murphy's doesn't have the marketing muscle but hell I think it better.

Low ABV so plenty will go down.

Slainte

3.51/5  rDev +1.7%

Served in the 14.9 oz. nitro can, into a pint glass. The color is black, with a creamy white head. The smell is a very slight roasted malt. The taste is a bit of the roasted malt, not very strong at all. Mouthfeel, despite the nitro, seems a bit thin. As for drinkability, well, could have a few of them, especially with the low ABV.

Well, I have to say that one of my favorite parts of beer is the lovely Guinness cascade, which the nitro can didn't do very well. Guinness may have been the first "dark beer" I ever had, but I can tell that I've outgrown it, as this just doesn't have the bite that most other stouts do. It's a good fallback beer, especially at bars that don't have much else, but I wouldn't go looking for it (not that I have to, of course).

3.55/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I had this from the bottle, as the label instructed me to. I peeled the label off, so I have some idea what it looked like. A nice head rested on top throughout the bottle, and even managed to leave some lace on the inside of the bottle.

The taste is somewhat dark but more dry and creamy than anything else. It's got a hint of sour on top of its mild bitterness.

More than anything else, it's uniquely Guinness. It's not as special as some have made it out to be, but it's definitely still a good beer.

3.48/5  rDev +0.9%

Served in one of the nitro "rocket-widget" bottles.

Appearance - I poured this out into a glass, despite the instructions on the bottle to not pour it out. Pours initially tan with that "snowfall" effect while it settles. A head that reminds me of chocolate milk, and it stays on top a good while. Mostly dark brown body with an amber/ruby tinge when held to the light.

Smell - A roasty, coffee-like smell with possibly a hop hint left in there. No chocolaty smells in there, which is surprising. Smells kinda thin for a stout.

Taste - Bitter with emphasis on the coffee flavors. A wee bit of a nut flavor comes through, but nothing to write home about. Again, the flavor is kind of thin for a stout. Not bad, but not great.

Mouthfeel - Very unassuming on the tongue. Slips by without any real imposition. Almost watery/light.

Drinkability - Yeah, it is drinkable, but if you are looking for a true stout, this won't get you too revved up.

Overall - This is a let-down for a stout. If you are looking for a true, full-bodied stout/beer, pass this by and go for a non-macro version. This is a very so-so brew.

4.26/5  rDev +23.5%

Stout is my favorite style of beer, this said I wonder why it took me so long to drink this. Guinness Draught pours a dark coffee black with a creamy, frothy tan head that did not subside through drinking, the head alone will leave you breathless. The lacing on the glass is incredible, you literally can't see the glass because it is covered by frothy lacing. The smell is of roasted malts with hints of mocha. The taste is very suprising, as I didn't like the Extra Stout offering from Guinness, this version is incredible, dark mocha flavors and caramel tones will bounce off the tongue, suprisingly refreshing. Feels very full and dry in the mouth. A very drinkable stout, probably the most drinkable for me, not to rich, nor to light, but my god the head.

3.49/5  rDev +1.2%

Picked up a four pack of nitro-cans from my local Bi-Lo. I figured it’s about time I try a nitro-can of something.

I really enjoyed the pour on this one. I can hear the can gurgling and groaning as I open it. The experience was pretty authentic as far as I can tell (sans tap), cascading bubbles and all. Its very pretty to look at, a deep, opaque, chocolately brown. The bubbles cascading down in sheets, give it a very textured, attractive look. Ultrafine, creamy as steamed milk head coalesces at the top a nice finger and a half and hangs around rather well. Creamy lace clings to the glass in gobs.

The smell is light, and mildly roasty and chocolately. Malts smell nice and hops are almost imperceptible to my nose.

As the head touches my nose on the first sip I’m reminded of a chocolate milk-shake. Taste is light and changes very little from the front of my tongue to the back. Sweet, roasty malts slide across my tongue and an extremely faint bitter aftertaste is left behind. It’s hard to put together the words Creamy, and Watery, when it comes to mouthfeel but that’s the best way I can think to describe this. Goes down very easily.

Well, this is too watery for me to think that strongly of it as a Stout, but it’s a refreshing drink and the nitro-can adds something to the experience. I’m sure I’ll be drinking this again as it’s the dankest option in many bars/restaurants.

3.14/5  rDev -9%

I remember tasting Guinness way back and thinking hey this isn't bad. So I ordered it again, at PB Bar and Grill, after I finished my Kona Pale Ale.

The beer is beautiful. Nice and black. Nice creamy head. No hop aroma. Taste is surprisingly... absent? The nitro kills what flavor there might have been. I try to hallucinate some roasted grains or burnt grains, and I get a tiny whiff. There is a minimal hop bitterness. The worst part is that it is so darn thin. I was struck by the fact that it tasted like water after the moderate bodied pale ale I had just before. It made for a great teaching point for my newbie friends, though. They were so surprised at how thin and light the Guinness was. "Guinness is like a meal" my ass. Anyways, this beer isn't wholly bad, just don't drink it after you've had a beer with any body at all.

3.93/5  rDev +13.9%

on tap at Ralph's Diner in Worcestor

6/12/04 - Served at cellar temp and it helps so much! Now it has a faint, sweet scent. The beer tastes dark and malty, feels creamy, and goes down perfectly smooth.

on tap on Tommy Doyle's

3/19/04 - Such a familiar sight, the black beer, the tan head. And yet this is the first time I've paid close attention to it.

No aroma. Very little carbonation. A nice, creamy texture. But as I drink I note sour hops, a slightly burnt, yet syrupy malt. Bit of metal in the finish, along with the syrup of malt. It never hit me before how sweet this is.

3.72/5  rDev +7.8%

Guinness Draught may not be the best stout in the world, hell it isn't even the best stout produced by Guinness, but what the beer lacks in complexity made up for in style. There are many nitro beers available but Guinness is the most famous. The cascading bubbles are beautiful and the head retention is and consistency is second to none. Pair this with a dark ruby colour and Guinness may be the nicest beer to look at.

Guinness is also a very smooth beer. The mouth feel is creamy but with a low specific gravity and caloric value, this beer also feels light on the stomach. It is certainly easy to drink and makes a good session beer. The taste, although much better than a typical macro is a little on the watery side when compared to other stouts. Still, this beer is available just about everywhere and is allowing beer drinkers to get a consistently good, albiet not great product at most drinking holes.

4.31/5  rDev +24.9%

The pour from the nitro can is an enjoyable ritual. The pop-hiss when opening, a hard pour, watching the contents exit the can in different colors. The bubbling brown body of the pour eventually cascading into the familar "Black". Topped by a finger plus of firm, table top smooth light tan cream.

A deep roasty nose rises up, wth notes of coffee. Not as soulful as I would like, but so familar.

The roasty malt slides across the tongue, with notes of coffee and chocolate. A mild sheath of hops along for the ride. The nitro coats it all though, and buries the extremes. There are no edges to be found.

Mouthfeel is of course creamy. This is the milk shake of beer.

Drinkability is extreme. This is one of the world's oldest and truest session beers.

This is a hard beer to look at objectively. I'm an Irish-American. This was the first beer I ever had wasn't a "fizzy yellow American Lager". At least in the can, it may have lost something. Is it thinner? Too smooth? Not roasty enough? Or is it just my increased experience? Still, this is the best "macro" I know. And I'm still a fan.
Happy St. Patrick's Day.

4.42/5  rDev +28.1%

Guinness. Some people just love Guinness, like myself. Others cringe at its very mention. But that's the thing about Guinness. There seems to be no middle ground. People love it, or think it's the most vile, disgusting thing in the world.
Guinness pours an extremely dark brown and depending on the lighting, can appear to be black. After you pour it, watch it through the sides of the glass. It looks like a waterfall. Not quite sure what causes this to happen, but it's quite interesting to watch.
The smell of Guinness is unlike any other. Charred. Roasted. Chocolate. Coffee. These are just a handful of words that come to mind when I smell a Guinness, and the taste, too, could accompany these words. The mouth feel is smooth as silk, as there seems to be a negligible amount of carbonation in Guinness. Also, to be as dark as it is, Guinness is very easy to drink. I typically don't buy Guinness because of the tremendous variety of other things I buy instead, but at least on St. Pat's, I gotta have some Guinness!

2.96/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

So, yes, it is the feast day of St. Patrick. Some of the recipes I used called for guiness, so, my girl friend went out and picked up a 12 pack. We used about 4 in cooking, and she took a couple home. The rest is for me to review. I must say, while reviews range from all ends of the spectrum concerning the quality and standards of this beer and it's company, damn, it is always cool to watch the pour. The cascade and the head, it is a truely unique thing to watch

So we have the unique pour, the thich creamy tan head, and, the drak rich color of the beer. Smells very "roasted", with hints of coffee. Now for the taste..it has a nice dry roasted taste, but it is satisfying. It is somewhat light in taste, smooth, somewhat sweet, but still rather light. No, this is by no means the best stout every had, or made. But to many, this was one of their stepping stones, and still holds true in the hearts, which is what really matter.

You can enjoy any other thing, any other time, but it is nice to go back some time

3.7/5  rDev +7.2%

I don't think I have any doubt that Guinness is a mighty-fine looking beer, with its meringue-like cream topping and black coffee body. I especially enjoy the pad of brown foam that follows the liquid as it is drained from the pint. Fine lacing. There's also something special about the heft of a Guinness.

The smell is lacking, plain wetness comes to mind--just a wet beer.

The taste of Guinness is also good, but not great. It's sweet, with roasted grains lightly present. Good hop dryness. That said, it's quite light and lacking flavor. I'd also like a little higher alcohol...

The mouthfeel is weak, but the sensation of one's lips hitting the rubber-like foam and then experiencing the cooler, smooth Guinness liquid slide makes it memorable. Drinkability is excellent, exceptional.

Guinness on St. Patty's Day, on-tap at Slainte.

4.36/5  rDev +26.4%

Enjoying a Guinness on St. Patty's Day, is there anything better?!?!

I love the sound the nitro can makes when opened. Pours black/brown with a tan head, but then the brown magically rushes to the bottom and the black rises until it's as dark as midnight. The head is dark tan and remains there throughout the course of the entire beer. You can smell the roasted malts and taste them even more! Incredibly smooth with a delicious aftertaste, but very filling. You gotta love this beer.

I've had this beer on tap, out of the can, and out of the bottle. Obviously the tap dominates, but the nitro-can is a close second. As for the bottle, don't waste your time...The can is where it's at!

**Edit** (3/17/06) - Two years since my initial review and I enjoy Guinness even more than i used to. As my palate becomes more trained towards different feels and flavors, I have found that I really enjoy Guinness Draught. The appearance and mouthfeel are superior, second to none...Truly a unique creation and highly enjoyable.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.