Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,083 | Hads: 6,753
4.28/5  rDev +24.4%

Great tasting dark beer. Excellent when poured correctly. Beautiful swirl as it settles in the glass. Rich velvet bittersweet taste throughout.

Personally don't like many dark beers because of heavy coffee flavors and I hate coffee. So if you are like me, know that Guinness does not have coffee flavors and you might really enjoy it. (337 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer! When poured right, it's about as beautiful looking as a beer can be. The coffee smell is wonderful, especially for the coffee fanatic I am. A refreshingly smooth and creamy taste with strong coffee notes that finishes dry and metallic as one might expect with many stouts, though maybe a little too metallic for some. It's my go to beer in most cases and works great in an Irish Car Bomb (cocktail). (417 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +12.2%

Served on draft. Thick and black with a creamy white head. Very little aroma. Taste is bitter with a hint of coffee. Smooth, chewy texture with an oatmeal finish. I enjoy this stout just about anywhere at any time. (214 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

I'm fairly early on in my beer drinking career so this is the first stout I've ever had. I've gotta say it really impressed me and found it to be a great beer but I feel like I'm missing something. The almighty Guinness is supposed to be a Titan of beer and I mostly thought It was middle of the road. I liked it a lot but I don't see what all the hype is about. I def. will drink more of this and hopefully get it on draft the next time. (438 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Not going to lie, I was a bit taken aback by how unremarkable this was. This is the first Guinness I've had in at least 5 years (the last time I tried it to see if I liked beer any better at the time and no I didn't) and I remember it being a lot more bitter. Instead it's extremely easy to drink and the bitterness barely shows up as a faint aftertaste. Granted this was from a bottle poured into a glass (but so was the last time I tried it) and I am currently drinking it right after I just finished a K√∂stritzer Schwarzbier, but I still expect more from a beer known as an Irish Dry Stout. (597 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Was disappointed by this beer tonight. Tastes more like a dark lager than a stout. Feels thin in the mouth. A drinkable beer indeed but doesn't impress. (155 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My go to easy to find beer, almost every place stocks it and it never disappoints.
If buying for yourself cans are most certainly the way to go the bottles just do not lead to the same creamy frothy goodness expected from a Guinness. (233 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +40.1%

It's a tasty stout that's not over-powering or too filling. The nitrogen makes it a lot smoother than most other beers that I've had. Can't wait to try it in Ireland (165 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

From the14.9 can into the official Guinness glass.black as a moonless night.1/2 " creamy head.foam up&down the glass.coffee dirt taste which I like.not bad at all.Prost (168 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +12.5%

Very creamy taste with chocolate and coffee undertones. Slight bitterness but not overpowering. Very smooth. Dark chocolate color and smells like coffee and caramel. (165 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +31.4%

Can't get darker than this. Definitely the best stout beer I have tasted. Taste is perfectly balanced and I like that extra amount of the gas bubbles which are appearing when beer is being poured. Overall 4.5/5 (210 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +30.8%

A: Pitch black with a persistent cream colored foam collar that etches the glass with classic lace lines marking each drink.
S: Chocolatey roast, grains, roast barley.
T: The nitrogen in the bar gas reduces some of the roasty bitterness but there is enough roastyness to satisfy any palate.
F: Satiating, super creamy smooth, full bodied and soft carbonation.
O: A go to session beer. (388 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +32.6%

This is and probably always will be my go-to. It's a proper comfort beer. Nice balance, smooth, creamy, fascinating to watch as it settles, and (as a friend at a pub with me one pointed out) very aesthetically pleasing in a glass. It's a beer for the worker and the philosopher. (281 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

The legendary Guinness Draught

The look of it: Amazing, dark roasted color with about 1 finger of head that is very present

The smell of it: Roasted malt with a touch of caramel coffee

The taste of it; A small touch of coffee,a bot of caramel also not very carbonated but very creamy, the presence of the alcohol is not very there. Feels refreshing .

So overall would I recommend it? For sure, this is a well made beer, definitely a go to beer but personally it won t be mine. (486 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +4.1%

Smooth and creamy feel and of course a great look with its big tan head. Taste and aroma are simple. Not too flavorful but overall not a bad brew for a macro. (158 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +11%

An amazing beer/stout, those who say it is average, are either trying it out of a can or a bar that do not take care/pride in their draught lines. Ireland is the best place to drink Guinness, I am irish and have lived all over the world. Nothing compares to my local pint in ireland where the barkeep takes pride and the black stuff is constantly flowing (354 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +16.9%

I still love this beer! Even though it's like the Bud Light of stouts (4.2%), this is the beer that got me to try other beers, and for that I am grateful. (155 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I don't understand why people make a big fuss about this beer. Super boring, and has the most rancid shitty after taste. Probably one of the worst stouts out there. The abv is super low too which is not typical of a good stout. This is the Natty Ice of stouts. (260 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

First stout of any kind I'd ever tried, like most people I suppose. still drink it from time to time when i need a smooth drinking dark beer. all around good dry stout. you know that though. (190 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -8.1%

From a draught can. Pours a dark black with the typical Guinness cascade from milk chocolate to black and cream tan head. Aroma is faint, but has slight roast. Taste is bittersweet chocolate and light roast. Mouthfeel is medium and smooth. Overall, not a bad beer for being a mass produced, approachable stout. (315 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer! It took me a long time to build up the courage to try this beer. Tried it for the first time at Bible study a few weeks ago. My faith has indeed been restored! (174 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a can into a 16 oz pint glass. Dark, deep amber-ebony color with a smooth thick head. Smells of malt. Tastes of roasted malt at first, slight bitter tinge of baking chocolate, watery but clean finish with notes of coffee. Light, watery mouthfeel, though thick foam head adds some creamy texture. Inoffensive, pleasant session stout and balanced. Best enjoyed on tap, of course. A pub classic with high nostalgia points. (The first pint I ever drank was this in Galway City, age fourteen.) (500 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

It's Guinness, the beer that got me into Stouts, and changed my beer game forever...the hell with crap ipa, and the bud lights of the world...browns, porters, and stouts are where its at! Hail Guinness for quality and flavor, and hail Nitro Stouts! (249 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -0.3%

Very heavy, rich and creamy but not my type. I still can find it enjoyable on some occasions though. Feel like this beer will clearly have advocates and critics. (161 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +42.4%

Served from: 14.9 oz can poured into a pint glass.
Easily one of my all time favorites. Looks beautiful, with a nice thick head and dark coloration. Smells great too. The taste is a little watery, but it still tastes strongly of roasted coffee and chocolate. Reminds me of an iced mocha. Goes down very smooth. A classic. (321 characters)

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.